PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix parade seating issues?

dwaters
02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
In the most recent thread about dealing with rude guests, I observed that story after story shared on this board dealing with rude guests revolved around parade seating and people stealing others' spots, putting their kid in front of others, blocking others views, showing up five minutes before and just cutting in front, strollers used as battering rams, etc etc.
With all the Disney parks doing daily parades, it seems like something should be done to make the whole process of sitting down to watch a parade with your family a bit less ...um.... traumatic. Short of installing magical bleachers that retract into the sidewalks of Main Street, I'm just not sure what else they could do.
Any ideas we could pass on to the powers that be in the parks? (Unless they are reading this themselves....)

wildeoscar
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
instead of trying to find a seat, stand... get there early, hold your ground, call for reinforcements in necessary. And make sure you bathroom break before you steak your claim.

wildeoscar
02-24-2008, 06:34 PM
and yeah, I steak my claim... not stake my claim... I prefer a good steak.

soccerchick
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Education would really be the only thing I can see working. Some examples:
~A blurb in the maps about the need to arrive early
~ no cutting
~seating is first come, first serve
~ Some signs might help
~ Some CMs to "direct" parade seating.

TDC Nala
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Nothing will work absent CM enforcement. Which at WDW would be problematic in itself.

t_catt11
02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
...good ideas, but none of the above really address the rude people issue.

The fact is, it takes perhaps ONE parade for anyone with any common sense to understand what's going on. Perhaps less, if you bother to ask why people are lining up early.

Does anyone actually NEED to be told that it is rude to elbow in front of people who are there first? Or that you shouldn't stand in front of a child's field of view?

Signs and/or cast members would help, I suppose, in removing any excuse of not knowing... but I fear jerks will still be jerks.

fhtpdw20
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
I would love to see WDW sell DVDs of the parades (focus on parade, not people watching the parade). You would get great shots, no blocked views, and would serve as a "fix" til the next trip to WDW. You would have a choice to deal with rude crowds for free or "pay for seeing the parade". Another possible bonus for WDW more people riding during parade time which generally dumps out into a giftshop, which leads to impulse buying...

seashoreCM
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I vote for: Nothing will work absent CM enforcement.

jennilynn510
02-24-2008, 07:33 PM
and yeah, I steak my claim... not stake my claim... I prefer a good steak.

LMAO :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

livndisney
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
In the most recent thread about dealing with rude guests, I observed that story after story shared on this board dealing with rude guests revolved around parade seating and people stealing others' spots, putting their kid in front of others, blocking others views, showing up five minutes before and just cutting in front, strollers used as battering rams, etc etc.
With all the Disney parks doing daily parades, it seems like something should be done to make the whole process of sitting down to watch a parade with your family a bit less ...um.... traumatic. Short of installing magical bleachers that retract into the sidewalks of Main Street, I'm just not sure what else they could do.
Any ideas we could pass on to the powers that be in the parks? (Unless they are reading this themselves....)

Several large armed guards surrounding you as you sit in your spot with your family? :rotfl2: No worries, they would sit once the parade started so as not to block the views of other behind. :thumbsup2 The would however spread out and form a blockade to protect you from those that try to push their way to the front.

Seriously, it is a big problem. Because of it we rarely watch parades-too stressful. I don't know the answer, but I do really wish there was a better/safer way to watch a parade at WDW.

There is a saying you can't fix "stupid", I think it should be you can't fix "rude". And sadly when it comes to WDW parades the "rude" comes out in people.

minmate
02-24-2008, 08:42 PM
We've watched parades at WDW and not had a huge issue but they don't really appeal to me. My two faves are Stars and Motorcars (which is leaving)and Electrical Parade now at DCA... And last year we waited to watch the Electrical Parade in DL (at DCA) my very favorite parade!!! We sat about 40 minutes early eating our dinner, relaxing -- but wouldn't have had to as the rest of the route didn't start to get filled in until about 15 minutes before - this was during spring break! I don't know why -- but it wasn't even crowded after that... no pushing, no several people deep or anything. Sounds like we got lucky!

cmwade77
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I have never had any problems with seating for parades at WDW or DCA (At DL though there are always problems with finding space during the busy times). The trick is go to the end of the Parade route, not the beginning, I get there as the parade is passing by that area and I never have any problems, there is usually always empty space, especially at WDW. Illuminations is another story, there really needs to be some better options. I personally like Tokyo's policy that no one can line up for a parade or show more than 30 minutes before it starts.

LilGMom
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think WDW can do anything about the rudeness, selfishnes and 'me, me, me attitude' of some guests. Short of having people kicked out of the park for rude behavior I don't know that they can or should do anything. People just need to realize that there are others that want to see the parade too and if you want to see it than you need to plan accordingly.

I don't even think that it would take one time of seeing a parade to realize that you need to stake a spot out early. You'll see people sitting along the sidewalk waaaaaayyyy before parade time so unless you are loopy and a little :crazy2: you've got to realize that something is going to be happening that will have a massive amount of people.

littlelaura
02-25-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't even think that it would take one time of seeing a parade to realize that you need to stake a spot out early. You'll see people sitting along the sidewalk waaaaaayyyy before parade time so unless you are loopy and a little :crazy2: you've got to realize that something is going to be happening that will have a massive amount of people.

unfortunatley they either don't realise or don't care. on our last trip, i was surprised to see the curbs of main st full (almost) with over an hr b4 sprctro. we took their lead, and planted our butts firmly down in one of the last spaces. as the parade started someone practically threw their 8/9yr old to the front and in front of us. during the parade he stood up a couple of times (ruined that photo - thanks), and worst of all i got ticked off by a CM for not controlling him - you have to sit if your in front (as i'm sure most of you know, unless its chandged). ok, i know the cm didn't know he was not with us, and was just doing her job, i haven't got a problem with that. but if you not prepared to sit and wait for a good spot then you shouldn't expect to get one.
maybe next time i'll start singing "we shall not,we shall not be moved; please do not, please do not be rude"... altogether now

msukar
02-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't understand. If I sit on the curb with my kids, are people going to go sit in the street in front of us? Don't they enforce that everyone has to be out of the street? I just don't understand how if you're on the curb people get in front of you. Enlighten me so I can avoid this! :scared:

Karenprincess:

DSNY4ever
02-25-2008, 06:00 PM
There are many spots that there is not a curb, just sort of a line in the cement or something like that that shows where you should stay behind. (Yes I was one of the disers venting about this one on the other thread).

But on our last trip I actually had a lady come up when the parade was half way through, push through the crowd and push her kid in front of my husband and I and then she proceeded to put her knee into my back as she tried to balance herself while she was filming her son standing in front of us and waving to the parade...a character then ran up and blew the kid a kiss and shook his hand and then I got an elbow in my head so that she could get it on tape. I said something, but she didn't speak english (and she didn't care) and by the end I had to stand up and move to the back in order not to argue with her and ruin the parade for everyone around us. It was terrible.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to stop this...please Disney work your magic and come up with a great solution like fast pass was for long lines!

maxiesmom
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe we need to design a t-shirt with a saying on it. Something like "I don't share my parade spot with rude people." It would have to be both in Spanish and in English, of course.

BTW: See my tag? It refers to how I manage to keep my spot at parades.:p

LilGMom
02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe we need to design a t-shirt with a saying on it. Something like "I don't share my parade spot with rude people." It would have to be both in Spanish and in English, of course.

BTW: See my tag? It refers to how I manage to keep my spot at parades.:p

I'd wear one of those shirts! :thumbsup2

littlelaura
02-26-2008, 03:04 AM
I don't understand. If I sit on the curb with my kids, are people going to go sit in the street in front of us? Don't they enforce that everyone has to be out of the street? I just don't understand how if you're on the curb people get in front of you. Enlighten me so I can avoid this! :scared:

Karenprincess:

they're not allowed to sit in the street. we were as far forward as you could get. a cm told him to sit down on the curb but there was no room. he looked over the crowd of people and either couldn't see his mum, or she was signalling him to stay put. anyway he kinda forced himself in the half-inch gap between me and my ds. whether he kept getting up because he was excited or too sqaushed i don't know. i'm not blaming this kid either - its his mum that frustrates me. with the sea of people behind us, he'd have had trouble getting back out anyway. maybe i should try to make myself look big next time.

littlelaura
02-26-2008, 03:12 AM
I personally like Tokyo's policy that no one can line up for a parade or show more than 30 minutes before it starts.

this sounds fine, but at WDW i feel it would be nothing short of a STAMPEDE at precisely 30 min b4 it starts.
now what you really need is a cattle prod......... oooh i can smell the revenge (and frazzled hair) already. just kidding. i'm not a vengeful person really. what goes aroung comes around - eventually.

pampam
02-26-2008, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=maxiesmom;23435558]Maybe we need to design a t-shirt with a saying on it. Something like "I don't share my parade spot with rude people." It would have to be both in Spanish and in English, of course.

Better add Portuguese to it as well.

#1 Pocahontas
02-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Karenprincess:

You'd be amazed. If you even have a 1/2 inch gap between any of you some body will push their kid in there. Once you grab your spot don't stand up! That's prime opertunity for someone to shove in.

Oh the stories I could tell!

tyiwara
03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Last September, when we(brother:happytv: , mom:figment: , me:ccat: ) were in MGM, or whatever it is now, we got incredible spots on the curb right before the Stars and Motorcars parade. Now, I was the designated photographer so I was trying to take as many pics as possible because we had never seen this parade. I'm not exactly "small", I'm tall and broad shouldered for a girl; I know this so I had already let five little kids and a grandfather with his grandaughter on his shoulders in front of me, and made sure I wasn't in anybody's way. Out of the blue some guy with a video camera comes along and pushes me and the grandfather and two of the little kids really hard. I was livid:mad:. I didn't say anything b/c I didn't want to be thrown out:confused3. So we missed the last half of the parade so I could cool off. I just thought it was incredibly rude and I agree that there isn't much to be done about the rudeness, unfortunately:sad2:.

One Year Pin
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
There is a saying you can't fix "stupid", I think it should be you can't fix "rude". And sadly when it comes to WDW parades the "rude" comes out in people.

It seems that in many cases "rude" and "stupid" are interchangeable.

McDISer
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
How about clueless. Sometimes you don't realize there will be a parade and just stumble upon it. Why should people be penalized for wanting to watch a parade. I know CM's direct people to a certain area of the park to watch the parade, Liberty Square is always open till the last minute, but for some reason, they want to be in front of the castle.

We had a really good spot in front of the Hall of Presidents until we encountered a lady and her son. She pushed him up in front of us and he video taped, while she had her hand on his back, making sure he stayed there and taped. She didn't care that she pushed between us. So we started blocking the camera. I know it was rude on our part, but you just can't help yourself.

cabanafrau
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I think it's time the entry to the parks are equipped with monitors to scan & evaluate the personalities and courtesy levels of guests seeking admission. If you can't score above a certain level, your ticket for admission is denied.

On the other hand, the kinder, gentler, Disney side of me feels it's a good idea for CMs to be equipped with wands designed to spew pixie dust over the heads of all guests, leaving everyone in a blissful state of mind, perfect for enjoying all aspects of Disney touring.

cdrn1
03-25-2008, 07:23 PM
My travellin' buddy and I got a really REALLY good spot right along the rope and we were going to see Spectro for the first time...we were sooo excited about it and shivered in the drizzle waiting to see it. Just before it was about to start, she noticed a couple with two little kids in a stroller standing behind us (we were in front of the Hall of Pres and they were back against the building, craning their necks and holding up the kids trying to see.) Well, she is about the biggest Disney World fan you could ever meet and is like a 55 year old kid the whole time we are there...but don't you know that as soon as she saw those little kids she motioned them over to get in front of us. So we saw Spectro, but we could only see it when it was directly in front of us, but that is just the kind of person she is. She truly would give you the shirt off her back. Just thought I would throw that in as a reminder that not everyone is selfish and boorish. :)

cakesnjammom
03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I hate RUDE people at Disney who think they own the park. I too had waited with my small children for a long while for Spectromagic to come thru and as soon as it started we had NO view what so ever because everyone pushed their way in and started puttingtheir children on their shoulders...I was so angered. People kill me. But this last visit at Disney I wondered isn't there something Disney could do to help facilitate "viewing" the fireworks? Stadium/bleacher type seating in areas not used for the parade and fireworks that fold in and out? Like where the Dream Along with Mickey show goes on and around the Walt and Mickey "circle". I am sure there are other areas too but I am assuming this may provoke a fire hazard or something...but it sure would be nice. Of course signs that said first come, first serve and no holding seats. Something needs to be done but I am sure there are rules preventing this type thing.
While we are on the subject: people please follow the rules of the road when walking in Disney parks and please do not stop in the middle of the pathways to read your map of wait for your brother. Also be kind to people with strollers it is SO HARD to get thru there with a stroller with people stopping every two seconds! I actually lost my footing because of my son trying to drag me in the opposite direction and step in front of a dead stopped stroller i hurriedly apologized to the person and said excuse me and HE ACTUALLY RAN right into my leg out of pure meanness!!! The happiest place on earth...my snow white a@$! to quote two and 1/2 men!!!

KrisTX
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
OK! This thread has made me rethink passing on the $31 stroller! I forgot that is the BEST parade defense for my helpless children in the 'holding your ground' competion that the parade has become is the DOUBLE STROLLER! Oh and now that the kids get up and play with the CMs during the wait...I will have to spread wide to cover all our spots while someone who claims not to understand how it all works pushes me aside because you know (unlike me??) 'they paid a ton of money for this vacation and they are going to see the %&$ (*&^ parade!'

LuvMickey36
04-06-2008, 11:38 PM
This is why we watch the parade in Frontierland. It is still bad, but not nearly as bad as Main Street. For a few years if we were in the parks we stayed to see the parade, but did not make it a must do kind of thing because it is so stressful. Now that ds is 5 we are going to make sure we see a few of them.

I am kinda lucky in a way because my dh is very tall & bulky (6'8 & 300lbs). He is as kind and gentle as can be, but most ppls impression of him (because of his looks) is that he is mean. This means, once we find out spot it is ours. No one gets pushy or elbowy etc. I mean jeez, its me they would have to worry about, all 4'11" of me, not my dh.

We dont mind sharing a spot with a younger child if the family asks or even if they don't & we know the child can't see or would like to sit down we invite them. DH puts my ds in his lap & I scoot over. Waa Laa another spot or two (depending on age/size of child) has opened up.

I agree, more education in the park maps or at the entrance might help some ppl plan better. Other than that, a rude person is just that a rude person & no amount of planning will change that.