PDA

View Full Version : What are the most comfortable shoes to wear to WDW?

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I know by experience that a good pair of tennis shoes is always a sure bet at WDW, but I would also like to take something a little more summer-like. I have never worn Crocs so I have no idea how comfortable they really are. I have read the raves about Crocs, but it seems as if there are more than one type. Also, do you normally wear Crocs with socks (that rhymes ;) )?

wildeoscar
02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
yes I wear crocs, and I do wear crocs with socks, but what is most comfortable for you I doubt is most comfortable for me. I would also not recommend getting crocs the day you leave and putting 14 miles on them in the parks the next day.

beachgrl001
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
:rotfl: yup, I wear crocs with socks.
I will wear them in the rain,
I will wear them on the plane.:lmao:

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I would buy them a month or two before and break them in first. I learned my lesson with wearing new shoes while on vacation a long time ago. I will not endure that sort of pain again! :eek:

Which Crocs do you have?

Cinderumbrella
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
The most comfortable shoes to wear at WDW is the most comfortable pair you wear at home. I am not a proponent of buying shoes just for the trip since that is when blisters tend to set it. I also don't recommend flip flops in January if you stopped wearing them in October (my feet always need a few days to readjust to wearing them each spring).

As for Crocs, I wouldn't be caught dead in them, but I know they are a favorite here. Just make sure whatever you choose you spend some time wearing them at home so your feet are used to them :thumbsup2

1rockinmamato2
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
My favorites are my Columbias, the Audacity style. They are a mary jane sneaker. I bought mine before our October trip and wore them every day. I was able to wear them without socks. My feet didn't sweat, swell or ache.

I couldn't wear my Crocs to WDW with all that walking, they're just not that comfy to me.

Gubblebum
02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Based on sheer comfort, my vote would go to the Keen Newport with the Keen Venice H2 coming in a close second. On our trip last year, my Crocs started hurting my feet about halfway through the day. I swapped over to my Keens and those stayed on my feet for the rest of the trip. The H2's are waterproof too, which is great for rides like Kali and Splash Mountain.

LowesChevy
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
My size 10 women's wide Brooks with a pair of white cotton ankle socks.
I have wide flat feet and a high instep, so finding comfy shoes is a challenge. I have had great luck with the Brooks and Asics.

It is also a good idea to stretch your legs and calves (sp) at night and morning. My feet will hurt in the heals because my toes curl down at night, but stretching them well a couple of times a day works wonders.

Luv4Disney
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
The only flip flops I can wear in Disney without problems are the cheap Old Navy ones. They're great for me. For sneakers, I like Adidas. I am not a croc person. :teeth:

DexLabDeeDee
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I know this sounds crazy but I often go to the parks with flip-flops. The kind that I like to get are from Nike and they are really squishy and the thong part is also squishy so they are really comfortable. They look a little bit like you would wear them in water. I would recommend wearing them around a little bit first, though.

nicolemm
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I always wear flip flops in the park, for me they are the most comfortable. My nephew wore crocs during our last trip (he wears them all the time) and he end up with blisters half way through?

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all of the input! I am going to buy a new pair of tennis shoes and a summer shoe of some sort. I have a feeling that I will be trying on a lot of different shoes a month or two before our trip! :)

klwdisney
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I have old reliable Sketchers Walking sneakers that I wear. I have another comfy pair that I bring. And a flip flop I lived in last summer with a gel sole to them. Many options is the way to go! Flip Flops take up NO room in my suitcase too. :thumbsup2 Bring a blister kit JUST IN CASE!

monorailsilver
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
The most comfortable shoes to wear at WDW is the most comfortable pair you wear at home. I am not a proponent of buying shoes just for the trip since that is when blisters tend to set it. I also don't recommend flip flops in January if you stopped wearing them in October (my feet always need a few days to readjust to wearing them each spring).

As for Crocs, I wouldn't be caught dead in them, but I know they are a favorite here. Just make sure whatever you choose you spend some time wearing them at home so your feet are used to them :thumbsup2

I agree. I had these black slip on shoes by Sketchers. I wore/wear them every day in the summer (I need a new pair similar for this season). I wore them in all the parks in August & they were great. In fact, they were the only shoes I brought for the whole trip. I have learned I don't wear sneaker when I am there & I always brought them so my last 2 trips I didn't.

Oh & Crocs-I agree on that too, as in I wouldn't be caught dead in them.

Eeyore1925
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Get some MBTs.:thumbsup2

Okay - I know they are expensive, but if you have foot, joint, or back problems they are life savers! Awesome shoes even if they are a bit odd looking.:cool1:

monarchsfan16
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Reef flip flops. There are tons of different styles. I have the styles Sandy, Seaside, and Slap. All are extremely comfortable, and can be worn for miles. They're more expensive than most flip flops, but it's worth it if your feet don't hurt at the end of a long day.

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Reef flip flops. There are tons of different styles. I have the styles Sandy, Seaside, and Slap. All are extremely comfortable, and can be worn for miles. They're more expensive than most flip flops, but it's worth it if your feet don't hurt at the end of a long day.

I have never heard of them, but I will have to look them up. Thanks for the info! :)

Mickeefan
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
On my last trip, I wore my Crocs, but by mid-day, my legs were aching, so I changed to white, canvas tennis shoes that I get at KMart. I put an insert for support into them and I'm good to go. I've also found that if I change shoes mid-day that helps, too. It puts your feet into a different position and is very relaxing. I've been known to wear flip-flops to the parks, too. If we go back to the resort and then head out to a park for the evening, I'll wear flip-flops. I could never wear them all day, though.

Sparkie
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm a crocs fan. I go without socks. Being a prior tennis shoe wearer I found my crocs to be great especially when it rained- no worry about my shoes getting wet and not being dry by morning.

Last summer, my teenage daughter told me my crocs were the ugliest shoes ever and she wouldnt be caught dead in them. She was going to wear her Rainbow flip flops- well half way through Epcot her feet were killing her-

And I convinced her to try some crocs- we purchased some cute pink disney crocs and she had happy feet for the remainder of the trip. Her pink crocs are in her closet and she said she hated to admit it but they were more comfortable than her flops but she wasnt going to wear them anywhere but at disney.

Sparkie
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I have Reef flip flops too. I like them but dont think I could wear them all day.

What are MBT's? I have chronic foot pain and so far my crocs have worked out the best but I'm always willing to try something new.

fairfax
02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a pair of Skechers flip-flops with a thick sole that are the most comfortable shoes I own, I usually wear them. I also have some Teva sandals that are great.

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I tend to get a lot of pain in my heels after walking around a lot. Perhaps inserts along with a pair of good tennis shoes would work. Since we aren't going till June, I should have plenty of time to look around and shop! However, I know that we will be riding the water rides as often as possible, so I really wanted to something that can get wet but doesn't get squishy.

scarlett24
02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I second the Reef flip flops. I have them in many different colors. I have walked miles and miles in them all day at Disney and in Key West. So comfortable. Have Disney Crocs too, their comfy, but nothing beats the Reefs.

cindyfan
02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Get some MBTs.:thumbsup2

Okay - I know they are expensive, but if you have foot, joint, or back problems they are life savers! Awesome shoes even if they are a bit odd looking.:cool1:

What are MBT's?
I've never heard of them and did a search and came up with nothing?

DizzDoll
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
My trusty Nike Airs. Love 'em. Not hot, not heavy. Am thinking about getting a pair of Pumas. My DD wore flip flops last summer - the young fashionista - and developed nasty blisters :scared: which came close to ruining our vacation :scared1: , so kudos to all you who can wear them!!!:thumbsup2

DizzDoll
02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
What are MBT's?
I've never heard of them and did a search and came up with nothing?

Stands for Masai Barefoot Technology. The run for around $250.00. Simulates walking barefoot in sand. The shoes have a rounded sole, so you really do need training to walk in them otherwise you WILL tip over!!! I'm a Metatrek fan myself, but since they have weights in them they'll be too hot and heavy to trek around the parks in.

attackwithnorth
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I prefer sneakers over Crocs but only with good socks. Socks can make all the differences between blisters and comfort. Socks and sneakers pose a small problem of soakage on the water rides, but I can go all day and night in the parks with just a good pair of sneakers and some socks...

burberryplaid
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I love my Teva Terra-Fi's

poeticdiabetic
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
We actually wore a Croc clone and they worked perfectly last year. we bought our DSs some more this year to break in and wear.

But we're wearing the same pair as last year. Plus, I also wear some And1 sneakers with some socks to changs the pace.

Oh, and the Croc clones were good clones, no Walmart or Target brand.

DIS-OH
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I tried both Crocs and the Montrail Molokini flip-flop on our trip in July 07. At the end of the trip, my vote for "most comfortable" went to the Montrail Molokini flip-flop (available at zappos.com).

I tried to alternate between the crocs and the flops, especially if we went back to the resort for a mid-day break. In the past, I was a devote "you must wear sneakers and socks at WDW" fanatic. However, after reading lots of shoe threads on disboards last spring, I experimented. I will be packing the crocs and flops again for the June 2008 tour...and leaving the sneakers at home!

Prior to the trip, I followed the instructions for "baking" the flip-flops. You heat them in the oven, then stand in them to form the shoes to your feet. Although it felt strange to be baking my shoes, it worked!

disjointed
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I've worn Merrell sandals before, as well as the classic Birkenstock sandals. Both were super comfy. I've never worn Crocs to Disney World, but I have worn them before while vacationing in Costa Rica (they were the Nile style), and I loved them as well.

My best advice though, is to start wearing your sandals at least a week before you leave, around the house, or outside, just to make sure they are comfortable for YOUR feet, and to break them in.

Have fun!

EDIT: Ooops! I just remembered, when I had my birkenstocks, I got blisters where the straps where, in fact I have a scar on one foot from them. Once I broke them in, they were comfortable though.

soccerchick
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I love my Birkenstock sandals. Not sure the "model" but they are the plain old two buckle style. Wore them the entire last trip.

AlwaysLoveDisney
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
im def. not a crocs person..hah! im more of a tennis shoe kinda person. i recently got a pair of vans and some flats that might work depending on where we go.

Amyz00
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Prior to the trip, I followed the instructions for "baking" the flip-flops. You heat them in the oven, then stand in them to form the shoes to your feet. Although it felt strange to be baking my shoes, it worked!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That is so funny! Though it sounds hilarious to be "baking" your flip-flops, I might have to give it a try. What temperature do I "bake" them at? :lmao: This is just too funny!

ALnRYSmom
02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Subscribing so I can find this thread again. I really need to do some research I guess.
I have a friend who does Disney about 3-4 times a year and I have been asking her advice on lots of stuff. She and I are alike, in that neither one of us like to be in shoes all the time. As soon as I hit my front door the shoes come off, which is why most of my shoes are flip flops or loafers that can be put on and off without hassle. I was going to go for a pair of the REAL Crocs, as opposed to the fake WallieWorld ones I currently have :) , but now I think I need to do some looking around. I do have my favorite pair of flip flops, but want to mix it up some.
btw, for all those other first timers out there. My friend recommends crocs for my kids OR that we take a pair of water shoes for the kids to wear when they are playing in the various water play areas. According to her, they don't allow sneakers or hard sole shoes on the water pads and she and I agree that letting the kids go barefoot is just yucky.

DisneyFan83
02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I love my crocs! I just wear the original ones, but w/o socks. I bought mine last year at Disney World because it was my first time to try them and I loved them! I do recommend getting them a few weeks or so ahead of time though because after a few days I started to get blisters. Since I've broken them in though I've never had a problem. I'll never wear any other shoes to Disney again!

Matt'nMeg'sMom
02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
The only flip flops I can wear in Disney without problems are the cheap Old Navy ones. They're great for me.
That's hilarious! My husband says the exact same thing! He makes me buy him several pairs every year.

byoung
02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Love my sandals.

cwestbrook
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
If you have a VF Outlet near you, they have Reef flip flops for half price. I thought it was still too high for flip flops but after all the recommendations for them here, I'm going to go back and try them on.

laura74
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
My first trip I disdained sneakers and comfortable shoes for sandals and flip flops. My feet paid the price and I could barely walk by the end of the week. I'm not joking. I was in paaaaaiiiin.

Last year, I pushed aside the fashionable choices and wore Easy Spirit sneakers with sweat proof peds. It was like night and day! So comfortable! They weren't very cool, but no blisters!

That being said, we're going again in March and if anyone has a cute, comfortable shoe to recommend I'd appreciate it.

mickey2minnie1
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Crocs! The kids and I wore them start to finish. My hubby lasted one day in running shoes and then pulled out his crocs and finished the rest of the trip in them. Wearing them with socks is pure comfort, IMO.

SharonS
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Chaco Sandals. There is 1 single strap that is interwoven in the footbed. This then adjusts for a custom fit. Feels like wearing sneaks, as the sole is nice and thick, but the strap is small, so you do not get hot. As the day goes on and feet swell, you can simply adjust the strap.

Also like Keens

DIS-OH
02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That is so funny! Though it sounds hilarious to be "baking" your flip-flops, I might have to give it a try. What temperature do I "bake" them at? :lmao: This is just too funny!

I don't remember the temperature, but it was low...maybe 200 F? I just followed the directions that came with the Montrail Molokini flip flops.

And not only does it sound funny...it was hilarious to do it as well! :rotfl2:

kermits girl
02-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I took a variety of shoes with me when we went and my comfy, worn in tennis shoes are the ones that gave me blisters! I wore my crocs, sockless most of the time but I did wear flip flops a couple days too.

MinnieMaddie
02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm another one with the flip-flops. The jcrew style that has a little bit of a platform is squishy and comfy and I get them in every color. I can't wear anything else to the parks.

My sister swears by Merrills - the sneakers and the thong sandals.

MegansMom
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I had to hop on this thread when I saw it because I too am having a shoe dilemma. We usually go down during the off-season, so I normally just stick to my NB gym shoes. This year we are going down with my entire family in June. I am EXTREMELY worried that the intense heat and humidity are going to be too much for gym shoes--I am always cooler in flip flops/sandals. My dilemma is that I am a pooh-sized girl, and have overly sensitive feet. I am looking for any recommendations for sandals/flip flops that people might think would definitely give the same support as gym shoes, but be as cool as a sandal. I would definitely appreciate any other pooh-sized disers putting their two cents in! TIA for everyone's input!!

IHEARTNY
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
You'll never see me on a trip to WDW, or anywhere really, without my Nike Shox!!! I have tons of pairs of them and they are really comfortable. I don't know how anyone could not have a pair...

marc1477
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
In my most recent trips (2002 and 2003) I have worn my New Balance 880's or Rocky Alpha boots. Not only did my boots keep my feet dry they also kept them very cool in August as well.

burberryplaid
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I had to hop on this thread when I saw it because I too am having a shoe dilemma. We usually go down during the off-season, so I normally just stick to my NB gym shoes. This year we are going down with my entire family in June. I am EXTREMELY worried that the intense heat and humidity are going to be too much for gym shoes--I am always cooler in flip flops/sandals. My dilemma is that I am a pooh-sized girl, and have overly sensitive feet. I am looking for any recommendations for sandals/flip flops that people might think would definitely give the same support as gym shoes, but be as cool as a sandal. I would definitely appreciate any other pooh-sized disers putting their two cents in! TIA for everyone's input!!

I'm pooh sized and my Teva terra-fi's worked great in the heat and humidity of early September last year. I made sure to use body glide on the bottom of my feet and I had no blisters (just make sure to reapply mid day). I also have flat feet and found them very supportive. They worked great for me and I would recommend trying them out to anyone.

MegansMom
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm pooh sized and my Teva terra-fi's worked great in the heat and humidity of early September last year. I made sure to use body glide on the bottom of my feet and I had no blisters (just make sure to reapply mid day). I also have flat feet and found them very supportive. They worked great for me and I would recommend trying them out to anyone.

Thank you so much for the reply! I am definitely looking into the Tevas!! Where can I find body glide?

gayles
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I love Ecco's (hand made) or Merrill's are good -- If I go for more that 4 days --- I take 2 pairs and switch each day ... That way the blisters' don't hurt as much -- ha ha

memy26
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I've worn mine just about everywhere with no problems at all. And my daughter would live in hers if she could.

I recommend Crocs all the way!! The real ones, no knockoffs

Good luck

CanadianGuy
02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Threads on footwear, garments, clothing ''what's best to wear" are generally best answered on the Disney Tips Board. You'll get a lot of expert advice there and I'm moving this thread there.

Thanks!

Knox

burberryplaid
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Thank you so much for the reply! I am definitely looking into the Tevas!! Where can I find body glide?

I know REI sells it, and I believe some people said you can get it at Dick's Sporting Goods and most likely any store that specializes in running shoes. I bought mine at Drugstore.com

Jenfrog79
02-25-2008, 04:30 PM
could someone post a picture of their favorite shoes? i'm not shoe savvy and don't know what all these look like ;) lol

MegansMom
02-25-2008, 04:30 PM
I know REI sells it, and I believe some people said you can get it at Dick's Sporting Goods and most likely any store that specializes in running shoes. I bought mine at Drugstore.com

I have been looking at these on different sites--I think I am definitely going to check out my local Dick's to try them on. Does the back strap rub against your ankle awkwardly? Does it cause any blisters? TIA:goodvibes

stellablue3
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been reading different "shoe" advice posts, and ordered the whole family Keen shoes (Venice H2) They came today, and they feel really good!

burberryplaid
02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I have been looking at these on different sites--I think I am definitely going to check out my local Dick's to try them on. Does the back strap rub against your ankle awkwardly? Does it cause any blisters? TIA:goodvibes

These are the Teva's I have

http://www.teva.com/images/products/AllColorCombos/6800-MOG-PROD.jpg

I've never had a problem with blisters on the back strap. You can make it tight or loose so I think that has something to do with it. It actually feels somewhat "foamy"

The only problem I've had with Teva's is that they can get a little smelly...but if you clean them with hot water and baking soda, they are good for about a week. Dipping them in a chlorine pool is also supposed to help.