PDA

View Full Version : No Clue about Souvvie Spending

blondinkaya
02-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Okay, I paid our balance off last month, woohoo! I just finished squirreling away money for meal tips, hooray! The last thing I need to figure out is how much money to allocate for souvenirs. Help!!! I'm totally clueless!

I have two boys who will be 13 and 5 when we go. I know they'll want to do the build-a-lightsaber thing at Once Upon A Toy. Other than that, I'm stumped. I know the kids are going to want more than those lightsabers, but since this is our first trip, I have no idea how much stuff they'll have to choose from. I'm planning on getting each child a Lego Store and a Disney gift card. I just don't know how much money to put on each card, though.

Other than that, we'll be buying my mil something exclusive from the World, as she loves Mickey. I would like to do the pick-a-pearl booth in Japan and have it put into a simple setting. Dh wants a new hat (yes, he's easy to buy for :) ). We're really not souvenir people (we like to use/wear what we buy), as we tend to lean towards the minimalist side of things.

So ... Can anyone help me out and give me a rule of thumb at how much we should put towards souvvies? I'm totally, completely clueless!

:flower3:

misricsmith
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
my quess is $500 to $1000.
if you don't need food....
we did the light saber, kids loved it
cant wait to go back!:cool1:

tzolkin
02-21-2008, 09:03 AM
i would think that whatever you allocate should be sufficient. if that's only $100, well than you'll only spend $100. if you allocate $1000 i guess you'll probably spend the whole $1000. i plan to buy my kids one or two things each, but i don't have a dollar amount in mind. (i have, however, been buying them things on clearance at the disney store to get during the trip--some clothes, a stuffed toy, and little items to keep them busy in lines and on the car trip)

i really don't understand the whole souvineer concept, but everyone has different expectations. when i was a kid my dad never made more than $12K--so to take 6 people to disney and feed us cut into the budget enough. my parents never told us we couldnt have things, but we just never asked for or expected anything. the first time we went to disney we got the mickey ears with our names on them. we were absolutely thrilled and shocked. that's the only souvineer i ever remember getting, but we always had a wonderful time at disney and never felt we were missing out by not getting "stuff".

i hope this doesnt come across as rude to those who buy many souvineers, i'm just saying that i'm sure your kids will have a great experience regardless of how much money you spend so just budget what you can afford. :goodvibes

eliza61
02-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Remeber,
You've just finished have a grand ole time on the attraction and whaddya know, you're let off right into a gift shop. The folks at Disney are crafty. My sons like sweatshirts so we always get one for everyone and I always pick up a photoalbum every trip.
Last year we gave our sons $100 each once that was gone they were through.

Native NYer
02-21-2008, 09:27 AM
While I'm not sure how much you'll need to spend, I do suggest coming up with a set dollar amount per child. Your kids are old enough to handle a budget. It'll make them a little more cautious when shopping for souvenirs.

fireman1
02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I plan on spending somewhere around $300 on my daughter (13) and I for sovernirs.

blondinkaya
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Okay, so I'm thinking of getting the boys $25 gift cards to the Lego Store and $50 Disney gift cards. Or would it be better if I just got each one a prepaid Visa or just gave them cash? I know my youngest would love having his own card, though (it'd be a novelty). Regardless, I've decided to spend $75 for each kid. I think that should be more than enough for the lightsaber, whatever Legos they want, and whatever other things they see (ds will probably pick out a t-shirt). I'm not sure how to budget for mil's gift because I have no idea what sorts of things they sell there. But probably $150 tops. I guess $500 would be a good, round amount to set aside for everything. If we don't spend it, it'll just go back into the bank when the vacation's over.

Thanks again!

ang
02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Well. My kids have to use their own money. So, whatever they save up they bring...usually is around $120 each.
My son loves his lego's and the light saver.

JoanieS
02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
My kids can't wait for the make your saber!

Does anyone know how much it is???

lovesdumbo
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I must be stingy because I limit my kids to $25 each. They are 8, 7, and 5.

karters*mom
02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
My kids can't wait for the make your saber!

Does anyone know how much it is???

What is make your Saber? where is it? I have a 7 year old boy who would probably LOVE IT!

Native NYer
02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I would go with a Visa gift card or cash. That way your kids can spend it in any store at WDW.

blondinkaya
02-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Here's a thread regarding the lightsabers. I probably would never have known about them if it wasn't for this board. :flower3: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617633

I'm leaning towards just giving the boys cash. I think the concept of seeing it disappear when my youngest buys something would be more understandable to him than using a gift card. It's more visual, kwim? I know they're definitely going to want those lightsabers and some Legos, and since this trip is certainly a real treat (a combo birthday gift--they're b-days are in April--oh, and they STILL don't know about the trip; I'm doing much better than I thought I would in keeping this a secret! :thumbsup2 ), I'd like to indulge them a little.

GrammyJudy
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Good idea to set a $$ amount. I figure a sweatshirt, tshirt,and then $100 each. Do not give in to every impulse or you will go broke. My DD and I started collecting the snowglobes so we each get one of those. We have beem going to WDW since 1983, now have the new generation to take, and I have a large Disneyana collection. Oh we always get Xmas ornaments with the year on them too. We bought Pal Mickey last year and my grandson still likes to play with him.

luvmy3
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
We are going for the first time in September. I have already told my kids (10,7,4) that they are going to use their own money for souveniers. Of course, most of their money comes from us anyway :laughing:
Dh and I will buy them each a shirt, as it is our tradition for every vacation but the kids will have to use their own money for anything else.
I am planning on finding very inexpensive disney items(pens, autograph book,etc) to make a welcome basket to deliver to our room so that they have it when we arrive.
Since I have no idea what is there I don't plan on making a budget for Dh and me. I just know that I can't come home without a coffee mug.

Tnkrbelle565
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
We aren't big souvie people. We buy Disney shirts on clearance throughout the year. We buy glowsticks at the dollar store and bring them from home. DD gets to bring a little of her own money (all those dollar bills her grandfather sneaks to her during the year!) and can pick out something she likes but we definately don't spend a lot of money. In fact, during a week's trip, we typically spend under $200 and that's including tips, alcoholic beverages, extra snacks, etc.

Smile4Me
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Definately don't let the boys forget what a treat it is to go to Disney! Plus I know there is a thread about all the free things you can do for free at Disney, like the Kidcot at Epcot-so check that out. Also I know there is a pick your own pearl at DTD so you might want to look there because I've heard there is more of a selection, possibly stuff more in your price range.
Im a tshirt and postcard girl myself when i go, but it never hurts to look at everything!!

IHEARTNY
02-28-2008, 04:23 AM
I've taken quite a few vacations all over the country and a few in Europe and when it came to money and my moms...

...she would always let me get whatever I wanted but she'd keep the receipts and give me a bill afterward. When we first came up with that system I was hesitant b/c I was 13 and didn't have that much cash but I realized, how many times am I really going to get to go to --fill in vacation spot-- why not get the things I really want? How many times am I going to get to go to the Louvre?... How many times am I going to get to get a jersey from Yankee Stadium itself?...

bopper
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Every night when my DH comes home, he puts his loose change in a jar. When we go on a vacation, that is the souvenier money for the kids. I often supplement that (like I like to buy them silly hats), but then they have a budget to spend. Any they don't spend goes back into the jar for next time.

abrock
03-07-2008, 12:28 AM
We spent around $400 for mostly our DD. 2 princess dresses, princess hat, glass slippers, wand, autograph book, hat and the list goes on. I am a sucker for all of the pretty disney things. We were there for 4 days, so about $100 a day on souvenirs.

Next year both our DD's will be there, but the younger one prob won't care as much. We will limit it to 1 dress for each and try to keep it still to about $100 a day.

I spend more here than Christmas for my kids! But we all love Disney!

Millie12591
03-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Remeber,
You've just finished have a grand ole time on the attraction and whaddya know, you're let off right into a gift shop. The folks at Disney are crafty. My sons like sweatshirts so we always get one for everyone and I always pick up a photoalbum every trip.
Last year we gave our sons $100 each once that was gone they were through.

Ditto on the $100 per kid. I really thought this might be a bit much and a little over the top for the kids but believe it or not this isn't a lot when it comes to the "things" of Disney. I hadn't been to WDW so I wasn't sure, I wanted to make sure when we went May 2007 that I didn't have ANY out of pocket costs. Everything was paid for when we went, food (Did the DP, had breakfast items delivered to resort), tickets, resort you name it, it was paid for, except for souvies. So I only took $500 on the trip thinking besides souvies what in the world would we spend money on? The kiddos got a hundred each to spend on what they wanted, they ended up spending a lot of it on doing the pin thing (lanyard, weight, and pins).

I did however make sure that the kids didn't spend it on the first thing they saw, you will almost alway see the same things all over the park (minus the world showcase stuff, but kids don't usually want to much from there). I told them we can always go back if you saw something that you couldn't find anywhere else.

My dd wanted a stuffed.... well anything girly, i.e., minnie, baby princess, that sort of thing, so I made her wait it out the whole time we were there so she made sure she was getting the stuffed doll she wanted the most.

It paid off, she ended up wanting just about everything she saw, but making her hold off in the end she got what she really wanted at least for the big item, that sucker cost 35 dollars! LOL She found little things here and there, but in the end for the biggie item she was glad she waited.

I was able to spend the rest on some Christmas things to hold back, stocking stuffers that sort of thing. In the end it wasn't half bad if I say so myself.
This time I will have take some extra money for tips for our TS dinners. But other than that I don't think I will need much more.

Millie12591
03-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Here's a thread regarding the lightsabers. I probably would never have known about them if it wasn't for this board. :flower3: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617633

I'm leaning towards just giving the boys cash. I think the concept of seeing it disappear when my youngest buys something would be more understandable to him than using a gift card. It's more visual, kwim? I know they're definitely going to want those lightsabers and some Legos, and since this trip is certainly a real treat (a combo birthday gift--they're b-days are in April--oh, and they STILL don't know about the trip; I'm doing much better than I thought I would in keeping this a secret! :thumbsup2 ), I'd like to indulge them a little.
OP:
Since this is the first time your going, do you know about the Fairy Godmailer? There is a place on the boards that you can find someone to send your little guy a post card from Mickey or whom ever they can find while at WDW. So little one thinks that they are really getting a card from Mickey and that Mickey's really excited about your boy coming to see him! I did this for my daughter before we went, she got a post card from Cindy , and a bunch of the other princesses. Then in turn when your there you turn around and send a card to someone who is yet to come to WDW. It's a lot of fun, I made sure that mom and dad got one too. :woohoo: I personally think the best palce to buy souvies and post cards is Mousegears in Epcot. Did I say that right folks? It's a huge store, I had fun buying everyday cups for my daughter for Christmas, they have the cutest selection of plates and bowls and cups there, not to mention a WHOLE lot of other things.:yay:

DisGal520
03-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Here's another suggestion that could be considered practical too. If your kids are Crocs lovers, then you could let them pick a new Disney pair your first day that can be worn the entire vacation. Then if so inclined with their own money they could seek out Disney Jibbitz in the various stores and kiosks.

This way they have cool reminders of their trip that can be continued to be worn once they are back home. Disney Crocs are sold at Mousegears, carts in the parks and also probably at every on-site resort's gift shop (POP Century has them).

DisGal
:cool2:

Aliceacc
03-08-2008, 08:40 AM
We're saving all our change for a year. For birthdays, relatives are giving the kids Disney Gift cards.

When August rolls around, we'll split all that between the 5 of us. Right now we have over $300 in gift cards, and we usually manage about $300 in change per year. Hopefully the change will be even a bit more, since this is something the kids REALLY want.

collcass
03-08-2008, 09:06 AM
75% of our kids allowance each week since we booked the trip is in Disney Dollars. (the other 25% they can't bring with them). for each special occassion they are getting DD, too (bdays, v-day, st, patty's day, good report card, etc)

We explained to them (and each time they misbehave remind them:Op)
that any extras are on them. (age 10,9,6,4). This includes ice cream and treats. With four kids (plus the other 4 that will be with us) we just can't afford for them to want to goto Goofys three times a day for a $3 Rice krispie treat. Sure, $3 isn't a lot of money, but it sure will add up quickly

We have certain things we are doing (welcome cake at CM, CRT for DD bday plus cake, bday party and pirate cruise for the boys.

We also are allocating $100 toward each child for things we want to get them. They also receive a bit more for certain "extra chores" but negate the extra DD if they hit 3 behavior X's for each week.

So far....they each have between $60 & $90 (depending on the kid). By the time we leave, they will most likely have $150 each.

we also save our change. Dont know how much that will amt too, but we split that equally.

if I get myDSLR for my baday, I have no funds left over for souvies :O)

mikamah
03-08-2008, 02:00 PM
We went for my son's 5th birthday, and he was sick one night and didn't get to DTD, so most of his shopping was in the hotel giftshop. He loved the little characters with magnets in their hands and feet, and bought about 6 of them at around 3$ each, and a set of plastic mickey figures, 15$, and he also liked the antenna toppers at around 3$ each. I didn't have a set amount in mind and did not spend as much as I thought I would have. I got us each tshirts, and myself a scrapbook, magnet, christmas ornament, and some cheap earrings.

I think for your older son it would be good to have a set amount in mind, and then he can see and plan his souvenirs through the trip.

This trip, my son has collected 75$ over his b-day and christmas, and that will be what he spends on souvenirs, and I'll probably buy him a tshirt. I have about 70 disney rewards dollars for my souvenirs from the scrapbooking store.

CinderellyCinderelly
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I usually just got one souv. per trip. Usually it was something small like a Minnie coin purse or a cup. I was excited enough just to be there and was taught the the vacation is kind of like a gift itself, and that you buy a small souv. to remember the trip. Have fun!