PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever run into people you know at WDW?

firecracker
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Taking off from the the Small World thread, I have to share these stories and I hope you'll share some too. We're from Northern Indiana and apparently we must vacation with others from our community quite often!

1. We've run into our family doctor and her family on TWO different WDW vacations! Both times at EPCOT.

2. The daughter of one of our pastor's (we didn't know her at the time) noticed my school sweatshirt while we were both in line for lockers at the MK. She said "Is that Lakeland Christian Academy" in Indiana? I said, Yeah. She says: I'm from Warsaw! and so we make the connection. We later pass her dad as we're driving home on the FL turnpike!

3. Best story of all: Last July, we're at Animal Kingdom. We'd just gotten totally soaked on Kali, my cell phone got completely soaked, and I'd lost my husband's hat. (He's bald, it was very sunny, and he was VERY angry at me! :banana: gotta love that!) Anyway, we're walking toward It's a Bug's Life and I look up and see our NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS!!!! Neither of us knew we were coming to Florida! It was just crazy!

A side note--my doctor really follows me around on vacation! My husband and I took a 2nd honeymoon to Akumal, Mexico last spring break and who do we see there??? Our doctor--same small town in Mexico!

It really is a small world after all!

Anything like that ever happen to you?

Eeyore's My Favorite
02-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes-it can be a very small world - DH, DD & I ran into the nurse that delivered DD 21 years ago in AK a few years back. Whenever I see her around town now we just laugh & talk about that. :goodvibes

jennifer293
02-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Our last trip there I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt for one of local high school football teams. I thought to myself wow that is the same name as our high school and same school colors...well out comes his wife from the restroom and it was a girl I went to high school with that I had not seen in 11 years...lol

While we will be there on this upcoming trip there will be several families we know there at the same time since it is our Spring Break so I am sure we might run into some of them.

KorieDWnut
02-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Taking off from the the Small World thread, I have to share these stories and I hope you'll share some too. We're from Northern Indiana and apparently we must vacation with others from our community quite often!

1. We've run into our family doctor and her family on TWO different WDW vacations! Both times at EPCOT.

2. The daughter of one of our pastor's (we didn't know her at the time) noticed my school sweatshirt while we were both in line for lockers at the MK. She said "Is that Lakeland Christian Academy" in Indiana? I said, Yeah. She says: I'm from Warsaw! and so we make the connection. We later pass her dad as we're driving home on the FL turnpike!

3. Best story of all: Last July, we're at Animal Kingdom. We'd just gotten totally soaked on Kali, my cell phone got completely soaked, and I'd lost my husband's hat. (He's bald, it was very sunny, and he was VERY angry at me! :banana: gotta love that!) Anyway, we're walking toward It's a Bug's Life and I look up and see our NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS!!!! Neither of us knew we were coming to Florida! It was just crazy!

A side note--my doctor really follows me around on vacation! My husband and I took a 2nd honeymoon to Akumal, Mexico last spring break and who do we see there??? Our doctor--same small town in Mexico!

It really is a small world after all!

Anything like that ever happen to you?

Yes. I have run into the same family that goes to our dance studio 3 separate times. We only knew that they were going once. The other 2 times were purely coincidental. It is a huge joke with us now. I saw the mom at class last Tuesday and I told her, ok Michelle..just giving you a heads up, we made our reservations for August so you better get moving
I guess we won't b seeing them this year, they made their reservations for May. WHat a small world though. :cool1:

themilesfamily
02-17-2008, 05:10 AM
I went to a very small college for undergrad -- about 300 people per graduating class. Walking down Main Street I ran into two people I graduated with -- a girl who lived in my dorm freshman year and her husband, who was also in our class. I hadn't seen either of them in 13 years.

MassJester
02-17-2008, 05:49 AM
A few years back, when I was in law school, I went to WDW after exams and ran into two classmates on separate days. I guess we all needed a little magic after our experience. :)

jujashmom
02-17-2008, 06:47 AM
We saw one of my DD's high school teachers in line at RNR.

I saw a physician I work with walking around World Showcase.

It is a small world!

Charleston Princess
02-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Prior to our October trip, I was standing in the copy room at work talking to another teacher. She asked what we were doing over the fall break so I started gushing about going to Disney World. Lo and behold, on our first day there, we were walking across the Tomorrowland bridge and ran into her and her family! She said that after talking to me she had decided to go to WDW too! DS was thrilled because he is good buddies with her DS.

The whole thing was just surreal though because nothing like that had ever happened to me!

kofduke
02-17-2008, 08:35 AM
When I was a little girl, we went to Disney and stayed at the Poly. I will never forget some guy from the town we lived in yelled "hey mailman" and of course my dad looked around (he was a mailman!) and didn't see anyone he knew...the guy then yelled "hey, mailman from (our very small town)" and sure enough it was a customer from his mail route...

dmccarty
02-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Last trip we ran into one of my oldest daughers classmates from school. I think we where in AK at the time. We where staying at CBR and we ran into them again on the bus to the resort. AND at breakast in the resort one morning.

Of all of the people down there its amazing you see anyone you know. And to manage to get on a bus at the same time is pretty amazing. That meant we all went to the same park and decided to go back to the resort at the same time.

Later,
Dan

Becky521
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Several years ago we were waiting for a monorail and across the platform waiting for a different monorail was a family who attended my sister-in-law's day care.
It also always amazes me that we may see a family several times throughout our trip. With all the people who are vacationing and we see someone in one park that we had seen the day before in another park.

labattblue
02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Last trip we ran into friends in the IaSW(how ironic:) ) queue and other friends at Kennedy Space Center. DD13 also saw someone from her school.

junebugs
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
In 2006, we visited Disney with my sister's family. We were in Animal Kingdom and my husband and my brother-in-law separated from my sister and I to ride EE with the older kids. When they got back they told us they ran into my Mom's cousin. Which is crazy since I have only met my Mom's cousin twice, and they could have met her only once. Yet she still recognized my husband and brother-in-law in Animal Kingdom! :thumbsup2

labdogs42
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
On our last trip, we ran into our neighbors in the IASW line and I was recognized by a fellow DIS-er at Chef Mickey's! (I guess I look JUST like the picture in my signature!! :rotfl: )

TiggerFamily
02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I haven't seen anyone I know at WDW but I did at Bryce Canyon in Utah, We parked next to a guy I went to high school with in MA and we both still live in MA. Then another time I ran into a friend's girl friend at a hotel in Bermuda.

GrowingUpDisney
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
In 2005 we ran into some folks from our "home" church in Fantasyland...then last year we ran into some other folks from our "home" church while watching the High School Musical Pep Rally at MGM! LOL

Dolce27
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
In 2003 I was standing in the Muppets pre-show when my former highschool youth director (from the chuch I had attended in h.s.) and his family walked in. I hadn't seen them in 6 years.

supersuperwendy
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Last year we sat down on the ME bus and one of my husbands employees sat down in the seat in front of us!!! Neither knew of the others plans to even go to WDW!!

wlwilliams9
02-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Not at the parks, but the last 3 times we have visited WDW, we have shared the same flight from Detroit to Orlando with Lloyd Carr (former Head Coach @ Univ. of Michigan). We don't know him personally, but last year I had to tell him we'd been flying the friendly skies with him for years! He seemed amused!

miss missy
02-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Yes! On the plane leaving AND saw them at Epcot too! It was really weird LOL I havent seen them, old friends.. in like 13 years!

Rora
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Crazy stories! Sounds like your doctor is stalking you ;)

For my story:
While waiting to get into Magic Kingdom, I saw a guy that looked so familiar. We kept making eye contact (we were both trying to figure out who the other was!) and looking away quickly.. awkward. :rolleyes1 . Meanwhile, my fiancee was getting angry that this "guy" was staring at me. Finally I realized he was a friend of mine from middle school! We are both seniors in college and haven't seen each other since 8th grade. I walked up, introduced myself and we chatted a little. BUT we saw him EVERYWHERE we went in the park. Needless to say, my fiancee was not too thrilled. :confused3

CarolA
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I ran into one of my co-leaders of a Brownie troop and her family just outside Splash Mountain. Took the family photo for them. Ran into a co-worker at MVMCP one year.

The strangest ever was this December howerver. I am in London at the theatre to see Wicked and one of the Partners from my firm walks by. My mother comes back and says "there are three million people in London and you find someone you know"

Enchanted
02-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Several years back, my brother and I were standing outside the Mad Tea Party waiting for the rest of the family to catch up when we saw one of our local news anchors walking towards us. We didn't say anything to her, but we both jabbed each other in the ribs and said, "Oh my God! Did you see that!"

She was pregnant at the time and was on maternity leave, but my brother and I joked for the rest of the trip that she'd just gotten pregnant so that she could have time off to go to Disney World. :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Reese
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
We ran into a co-worker three different times on our last trip. It was funny becasue Dh and her were joking about exchanging itineraries never thinking we'de run into her.

maxiesmom
02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
My dad ran into someone he used to work with. We were in the lobby at the Poly, waiting for my sister and her family to arrive. Her children didn't know that grandpa was there! He was supposed to pop out once their ME bus pulled up. Bus comes, grandpa doesn't show. A few minutes later he shows up. He saw someone he worked with 15 years ago, and they were having a chat. Strange to fly across the country and see someone you haven't seen in so long.

pwdebbie
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I ran into the owner of the small company I worked for when leaving Epcot one day. We were heading back to our room and he and his wife were coming into the park. He spotted me before I saw him.

Even though my desk was right outside his office, I didn't know we were going to be in FL at the same time until my last day of work before vacation. And he was so confident that we would run into one another down there. I was skeptical, but sure enough, it happened.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

Disney1976
02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
This goes back to 2000, and it wasn't at Disney, but on the Disney Cruise. We had docked in the Bahamas and my friend and I had decided to take a day trip over to the Atlantis Resort. We had just entered the hotel when my friend hears his name being called and standing right in front of us is one of our former gym teachers from high school, who was also the old baseball coach (I never had him as a teacher, but my friend was on the baseball team).

What made it a little stranger is that this teacher had been caught having sexual relations with another girl in our class and had actually gone to prison for a year or two! No one had heard anything from him or about him since, so to run into him there was certainly odd! They exchanged a polite hello, said a few words, and then the teacher walked away.

daisyduck123
02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Last year, I ran into one of my students on the boardwalk right in front of Y&BC. His family was staying at YC, & we were at BCV.

minmate
02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I used to work at a busy YMCA, both at a front desk and in the childcare room. So I would see a LOT of people in my hometown on a regular basis. I ran into a couple families on the same trip once.

DisneyDarlings
02-22-2008, 05:58 PM
One year I ran into my first cousin and his family at Epcot. I had no idea they were going. Then, no joke, we bumped into them somewhere every day! We weren't even at the same resort. If I had known they were going, I would have never seen them!

starbox
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I grew up in FL and when I was a junior in high school, my church attended Night Of Joy (we were about 5 hour from WDW). It was PACKED and so decided to take the ferry rather than stand in line for the monorail into the MK. Well, once I got on the ferry, I turned around and standing behind me was the guy I had "gone with" at camp the summer before (I attended a camp about 7 hours away from home - and he was from Kissimmee). We had written letters back in forth a few times (this was before email or cell phones), but had not been in contact for awhile.

Needless to say - it ended up being a GREAT night. :rotfl: Way back then, those sky bucket things still existed between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland......:rolleyes1

MichelleVW
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I saw someone that looked really familiar while waiting for the Beauty and the Beast show Jan 07. Turned out it was a guy who went to the same high school as I did and graduated 2 years earlier. I didn't personally know him, but I knew his brother and I talked to him and his wife for a few minutes after the show....His wife said that he saw people that he knew EVERYWHERE they went.

Amazing how I recognized him 22 years after I last saw him. Weird!!

Towers5
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
We were in MGM waiting in line for our children to get Rabbit's (POOH) autograph, when a family with 2 boys about the same age as my kids gets in line behind us. The two boys were running around and playing with my son and the mom says " you two come back here and stand still", well I turn around to tell her the kids aren't bothering me.........when I see one of my best friends from high school ( she moved to another state and we corresponed via email, but niether had mentioned the WDW trip to the other)
We had a great laugh about it:goodvibes :rotfl:

WDWRocksMySocks
03-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I ran into a my friend's brother at EPCOT. Another time, I ran into a family friend at our hotel. The second person I always run into at the most random of places, so we got a big kick out of it.

marypops!
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
We ran into one of the dinnerladies at my primary school coming out of the Winnie the Pooh-turned-Tinkerbell store in DHS. She didn't notice us until my younger sister yelled out her name.

erincon23
02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I know I'm nearly a year late on this thread, but maybe someone will see it... On one trip, we were walking past the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse and someone called out my name -- it was my "mentor" from Cub Scouts! And on another trip, we ran into good friends who were also in our Cub Scout Den at the Sorceror's Hat in (then) MGM. Whenever we go anywhere, my husband and always joke about who will be the first to see someone they know!

:rotfl2:

Erin

homedad
02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
not once in 6 visits totaling over 40 days.....

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
02-13-2009, 09:07 PM
This past December at the Boutiki store in the Polynesian I hear my name being called and when I turned around it was my 2nd year accounting teacher from my college who was there with his wife and 4 year old daughter, so he was the last person I thought I would see at WDW.

GrumpyDad1974
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
When I was a kid a friend found me at the parade in MK. Last year on my daughters fall break from school (year round) we saw 4 different friends of hers and family at all 4 of the parks, that was wierd. 1 friend we ran into about 5 times over the week, I think she got a copy of my strick schedule...

OK!
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Not at WDW, but I did run into someone in line for Indiana Jones at Disneyland with whom I'd taken a summer school class the year before. I think that struck me as weirder because CA's so much farther away.

I'mAlittleBitGoofy
02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a bittersweet story about meeting someone I know in Disney. For 6 years my daughter has been dancing at the same dance school. Throughout those years I grew to know their office staff pretty well. The secretary, Sue, was just as sweet as can be and both of her children danced with my daughter. I was shopping in DTD at World of Disney store, when I hear my name called. To my surprise, it was Sue. She was shopping for souveniers. We both laughed so hard at running into each other. A year later, she was diagnosed with malignant melanoma and she passed away shortly after. She told me she wanted to go back to Disney with her kids before she died, but sadly, she never made it. So whenever I go to Disney, I always remember how blessed I am to be there. :sad1:

onelilspark
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
After graduating from college, I was down visiting my parents who live within an hour's drive. We went up for brunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. One of my friends from college was there with her parents having breakfast too!!

CaptMarge
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
We ran into one of my son's Hockey Team mates in DTD one trip. Then passing by Casey's Corner at MK we ran into our neighbors and that same day a kid from my son's class at school. :teacher: Also on a different trip we ran into a friend we had lost touch with over the years.
We live in Dallas and I always seem to run into my aunts and uncles at airports in different states; Memphis, Las Vegas, it's really funny.

disneymom06
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
We have been going down to Disney the last two weeks of August for the past few years, (FD incentive!). Well, we were not alone, everytrip I ran into people from school, it was amazing!

Colormyworld
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Slightly OT: It was so bizarre because no one ever mentions Disney in my area, but on Friday I heard it mentioned 15 times (randomly)! Examples: "it's fun to go there, but not as fun as Disney" "the only thing that does well in this economy is Disney" "I have a Disney song stuck in my head" "dude, remember that pair of ears I got at Disney?"

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ;D

momto1
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, every trip! But, we have never run into people who we knew were going to be there!

We have seen people from ds baseball team at Epcot.

Ran into another baseball player and his dad getting fast passes from Exhibition Everst.

Met a college friend of my cousins running the Tom Sawyer ride last year. Made her pose for a pic with me so I could send to my cousind. DS11 about died that I was doing that!

Last year, we were waiting for our final monorail of the trip and were sad that we hadn't run into anybody we knew except meeting cousin's classmate. Lo and behold - the monorail pulls in, ds spots someone in the train and said that someone was wearing a baseball hat from another local baseball team. DH says "no it isn't" because he was looking at someone else. I said these people must know us because they are waving at us! Doors open and it was ds basketball coach from the YMCA and his family!

Lori

Luna_Lovegood
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I saw a former student and a future student wandering the World Showcase last September. They were skipping school (college and jr. high) just like I was! :banana:

Teacher510
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
I met the family of former students from my school at Epcot during our Christmas week trip in 2007. I then saw the dad at the food/shopping area of the airport and then they were at the gate and taking the same flight home!

brownie_17
02-18-2009, 06:29 AM
My hussband and I used to work at the same restaurant and knew our regular customers. One evening we sat down at a table in CBR food court. We look at the table next to us and there sat a guy who came in every day to the restaurant. We said hi and asked how each others trips were going. It turned out that they were preparing to leave that night and we had just checked in that morning. I thought out of all the places to run into someone.
Especially since we are from a small town in Ohio.

trekker93
02-18-2009, 06:35 AM
We ran into the guy who rebuilt our chimney one day on the plane down there. (It was old and had chipped away.) We had a great talk and it helped shorten the airplane ride down there!:cool1:

Indio
02-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Last year we went to WDW over Columbus Day Weekend. We had taken the kids out school a day early - didn't send notes to the school or anything, just did it. Then that Saturday, we were walking into World Showcase at Epcot and our high school principal was sitting on a bench! It was like he was waiting for us! I went up to him and said "Well you caught us, we skipped to come down here!" Funny thing was - he did too! His family also skipped school on Thursday to get an extra day on the long weekend.:rotfl:

PHXscuba
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
DH and I made a last-minute trip to WDW last September and managed to get spots for DiveQuest at EPCOT, where you get to SCUBA in the giant aquarium tank.

Now, realize this is one of the smaller tours at WDW, only maybe 30 people each day get to do it, a few at a time.

So we go to the entrance to meet our guide and the others on the tour and sit down on the bench with another couple. We exchange greetings and the two men start looking at each other like they're trying to remember something. The other guy finally says, "aren't you Dr. X, the dentist?" They were also from the Phoenix area and he services DH's high-speed drills at his office. He recognized DH by his voice, I guess.

We ended up being the only 4 on the tour. So we went all the way to FL and met someone we already knew! What're the odds?

PHXscuba

LadyGracey
02-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I always run into the music minister from the church I used to play at (I was in the orchestra). Literally, we see each other more at WDW than we do at home! I think we've seen each other there 4 or 5 times so far and it's become a running joke.

VirginiaMom
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I ended up staying three doors down from one of the girls I used to manage at work! Since we were there for a full week (and ran into each other every day), I was so thankful we had a good relationship!

During that same trip, I ran into two other people I work closely with... I knew we were all going on vacation (Spring Break in our area), but didn't realize we'd all be at Disney.

notsosnowwhite
02-20-2009, 10:32 PM
It's a small world - literally.
While standing in line for It's a Small World, a man leans across the line and asks, "Did you go to _______ University?" He had lived in the same residence hall where I was a Resident Assistant and remembered me 15 years later. Apparently I'm unforgettable. :)

I agree - it's a Northern Indiana thing. We see people we know whenever we travel. I don't think we've ever been on a vacation where we haven't run into someone we know along the way.