PDA

View Full Version : King beds not available to 2 adults w/ small child?

Sea-Donkey
02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I called to request a king size bed and was told we couldn't have one since we have 3 (including our daughter) in our party. Who cares? What difference does it make? Kinda ticks me off that my request is denied over some crap blanket rule.

CleveRocks
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
We don't have to like it, but WDW has numerous blanket rules. Your choices are take it or leave it.

I say this in a supportive way, not a sarcastic way.

karemore
02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
It's too bad. We would prefer a King bed for us and our toddler too, but I think it's fire code regulations or something.

Now I get to sleep in a double bed with my daughter while DH gets his own double! Oh well.

IWISHFORDISNEY
02-15-2008, 07:47 PM
They gave us a king room with our son at AKL. Me and DS got the king and DH took the pull out sofa. And that room was a free upgrade from standard to pool view. I initially didnt want the room because it didnt have a bathtub but the view and location was so wonderful I made due with the handicap shower seat. That is kind of crazy since you are not exceeding the limit of guests that can be in a room.

minnie61650
02-15-2008, 08:33 PM
They gave us a king room with our son at AKL. Me and DS got the king and DH took the pull out sofa. And that room was a free upgrade from standard to pool view. I initially didnt want the room because it didnt have a bathtub but the view and location was so wonderful I made due with the handicap shower seat. That is kind of crazy since you are not exceeding the limit of guests that can be in a room.

There are a few King rooms in some resorts that have a daybed. If there is a daybed and a King in the room than 3 persons can sleep there. If there is only a King bed in the room than only only 2 can sleep in the room.

The reason is the fire code will not allow 3 in that room type.

shellybaxter
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM

If that room had pull out sofa then it is could be reserved by a family with three people.

OP - I've never heard of anyone being able to reserve a King room with three people, but I have heard of at least one family asking at the front desk and having their request met

Sea-Donkey
02-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, my wife will get the bed with the daughter...a change of the norm means the small children will want to sleep with the parents (duh!). So I'm good, but what a crappy "blanket" rule...this is a vacation destination based on children, right?

typhoonlagooner
02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I believe that if you have a child under the age of three who will be sleeping in a pack n play, you can "attempt" to reserve a King room. Similar to how rooms can sleep 5 (or 6) if there is a childer under 3 in a pack n play.

I don't see why having three people in a King Room is any different then sleeping 5 in a dbl/dbl room. I don't consider either a "blanket" rule.

I think if your resort does have King rooms with daybeds/trundle/pullouts you wouldn't have this issue.

On a side note...
Why are parents sharing with kids? Is it so the child doesn't have to sleep alone... or so mom or dad can get enough room to sleep comfortably? Just curious!

IWISHFORDISNEY
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Aaahhh I didnt realize that some rooms have a king bed but no pull out, that would make sense then. That really is crappy though.

RACHELSMOM1
02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I believe that if you have a child under the age of three who will be sleeping in a pack n play, you can "attempt" to reserve a King room. Similar to how rooms can sleep 5 (or 6) if there is a childer under 3 in a pack n play.

I don't see why having three people in a King Room is any different then sleeping 5 in a dbl/dbl room. I don't consider either a "blanket" rule.

I think if your resort does have King rooms with daybeds/trundle/pullouts you wouldn't have this issue.

On a side note...
Why are parents sharing with kids? Is it so the child doesn't have to sleep alone... or so mom or dad can get enough room to sleep comfortably? Just curious!

Many parents have a family bed. Sometimes it is necessary for medical reasons, such as a child's sleep apnea. Some parents just prefer the closeness with their little ones. To each family their own...

When we go to WDW and stay at POR we share the beds with our little ones because there is more room that way - We are so used to our king size bed, so the double bed is too small for hubby and myself (we are both pooh sized adults), and after a day at the parks we just want to sleep comfortably.

Cobbo
02-16-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm kind of curious as to which resort the OP had this problem with, b/c I know before DD2 came along, we had no problem on multiple occassions getting a King room w/a crib for DD1 (I can specifically recall being at GF in Jan 07 for 3 nights where we enjoyed such a set up b/c we put the crib in the outer part of the bathroom so it was kind of like a mini-suite for us to enjoy our marina view...) so I'm wondering if this is a recent blanket policy change, a resort limited policy, or the whole day-bed thing (b/c I don't remember if we had one or not at the GF...we probably did, since I'm fairly clueless on such things.....great, now I have to go back and look at pictures to see if we had a couch in our room)...

Okay, I'm back...and after a pleasant trip down memory lane (complete with photos)..we obviously did have a couch in our room since I have a photo of DD1 running bare a** naked from us while we ran her bath & DW snapped a photo of DD1's bare booty making a bee-line for said couch before we caught her.... FWIW, I tried posting a copy of the pic here, but don't know how the bare baby bottom thing would go over, so I've thought better of it...(and my middle of the night mental musings are pretty OT anyhow)...:surfweb:

CleveRocks
02-16-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm kind of curious as to which resort the OP had this problem with, b/c I know before DD2 came along, we had no problem on multiple occassions getting a King room w/a crib for DD1 (I can specifically recall being at GF in Jan 07 for 3 nights where we enjoyed such a set up b/c we put the crib in the outer part of the bathroom so it was kind of like a mini-suite for us to enjoy our marina view...) so I'm wondering if this is a recent blanket policy change
In ANY king-bed room in WDW, you are permitted to have one child under the age of 3.

bdcp
02-16-2008, 08:47 AM
It's probably a state law concerning occupancy. If the child is over 3, then they're not considered an infant or toddler anymore and count as a occupant who requires a bed. Regardless of how you sleep at home, there are lots of state laws all over the US concerning renting to families and how many can occupy certain size apartments/hotel rooms.

disnut8
02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Disney World has to have "blanket" rules (at first I thought the OP meant they could only have one blanket! - it's still early in the morning for me). If there is a local or state or federal or fire or safety or whatever regulation, Disney World HAS to follow it. Can you imagine what would happen if a fire or some other tragedy would break out and it was found that Disney World did not follow a regulation to the letter? The lawsuits would bankrupt the company.

I also believe there can be insurance audits where the insurance company will come in and make sure that all regulations are being followed. You don't follow the regulations, your policy can get pulled.

This isn't personal - it's covering your ***.

ElizabethB
02-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Disney owns Reedy Creek Improvement District, which is the government entity where WDW is located -- and therefore Disney writes its own fire codes.

Deb & Bill
02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Disney owns Reedy Creek Improvement District, which is the government entity where WDW is located -- and therefore Disney writes its own fire codes.
I doubt they write their own fire codes, much too complicated to write them. They just get to decide which actual code they will implement.

minnie61650
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Even though Disney owns Reedy Creek Improvement District I do believe it does not write its own fire codes.

There are certain guidelines and regulations that even Disney must answer to.

---------------------------------------------------
Just a little FYI

Some guests think occupancy limits are solely based on room size.
The room size is not as an important issue as are the width of doorways, widths of hallways, number of stair wells, location of stairways, number of fire walls, number of stories in a building and the total number of persons in a building when determining the fire code in regard to fire access and egress.

------------------------------------------------------

Since 9/11 a lot of the fire codes are stricter especially in regards of the disabled and fire access and egress.

See this website about Resources on Emergency Evacuation and Disaster Preparedness for more info:

http://www.access-board.gov/evac.htm

There are real reasons why hotels/motels have room occupancy limits.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

skipperkim
02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Not to mention, it's probably state laws not local ones. Think about it this way, it's like occupancy laws to restaurant. Breaking fire code laws in any state is expensive and not worth the potential lawsuit cost. After all, WDW is a business and is out to make a profit just like any other company.

maxiesmom
02-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, my wife will get the bed with the daughter...a change of the norm means the small children will want to sleep with the parents (duh!). So I'm good, but what a crappy "blanket" rule...this is a vacation destination based on children, right?

Children of ALL ages! And many of us vacation at the World without little children along.

I would think the rule is in place to keep people from doing something like booking a king bedded room and then cramming 6 people into it. As the norm for sleeping is 1 or 2 in a bed, that is where they drew the line. Two people.

ElizabethB
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Would anyone like to provide sources for the following assertions:

1. Even though Disney owns Reedy Creek Improvement District I do believe it does not write its own fire codes. There are certain guidelines and regulations that even Disney must answer to.

2. I doubt they write their own fire codes, much too complicated to write them. They just get to decide which actual code they will implement.

3. Not to mention, it's probably state laws not local ones. Think about it this way, it's like occupancy laws to restaurant. Breaking fire code laws in any state is expensive and not worth the potential lawsuit cost. After all, WDW is a business and is out to make a profit just like any other company.

Otherwise, all I can do is ignore them. "I do believe", "I doubt", "it's probably state laws not local ones" do nothing to convince me of anything. Give me facts, please.

It's easy to Google Reedy Creek Improvement District. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Disney. The Fire Department is owned and run by Reedy Creek and Disney (oh, all right -- people hired or controlled by Disney) writes its own fire codes. From everything I can find out, the codes are extremely stringent. Great for safety, but also helpful when one wants to very carefully control room occupancy for reasons other than safety.

I'm waiting for sources and information other than "believe" "doubt" and "probably". Persuade me with facts, please, not opinions, guesses and assumptions!

maxiesmom
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
It's easy to Google Reedy Creek Improvement District. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Disney. The Fire Department is owned and run by Reedy Creek and Disney (oh, all right -- people hired or controlled by Disney) writes its own fire codes. From everything I can find out, the codes are extremely stringent. Great for safety, but also helpful when one wants to very carefully control room occupancy for reasons other than safety.

I'm waiting for sources and information other than "believe" "doubt" and "probably". Persuade me with facts, please, not opinions, guesses and assumptions!

In the end, does it matter why Disney limits the occupency of a king room to 2 adults? It does. The why is irrelevent. Disney could decide only a single person could be in a king room if they wanted to, they own the resorts. As with many of Disney's rules, we don't have to like them. But we do have to follow them if we choose to stay on their property.

CleveRocks
02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Fact #1: Fire codes, shmire codes.

Fact #2: Disney decides who they do business with it.

Fact #3: The market has rewarded Disney resorts, not punished them.

Fact #4: Read Fact #2 and Fact #3.

I don't know why this tailed into a debate about fire codes. As long as Disney is not denying a room to someone based on sex, race, religion, sexual orientation or whether or not they find Carrot Top funny, then they can make any rules they want and don't need to explain the reason(s) why.

I don't need to know how my pressing plastic squares turns into words that can be seen on computer screens in Philadelphia and Finland, I just need to know that I can do it.

Deb & Bill
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
#2. Go to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) website. You can take a peek at their codes. They have many, many of them. The Life Safety Code (NFPA 101) is the one most adopted and it references many other of the codes, such as the fire extinguisher code, fire sprinklers, NEC (National Electric Code - NFPA 70), etc. If you actually purchase an entire set of these codes (the full set), it will be about 20 books.

Disney fire codes might also reference the Uniform Building Code, the Southern Building Code or any other the Disney chooses to follow.

I reference NFPA nearly daily in my job and just figuring out what it really says or means can be hard. I usually use the LSC Handbook to help me with that or call one of my acquaintenances who is on one of the NFPA panels.

minnie61650
02-18-2008, 06:10 AM

1. Even though Disney owns Reedy Creek Improvement District I do believe it does not write its own fire codes. There are certain guidelines and regulations that even Disney must answer to........

From this web site:

http://www.rcid.org/AboutUS_main.cfm

PURPOSE
The Reedy Creek Improvement District, in accord with its enabling legislation, is responsible to the owners of land within the District and the public to provide for surface water control and drainage, utilities and mosquito control; roads and bridges; land use regulation and planning; fire protection; emergency medical services; environmental services; data collection and evaluation; building and other construction codes enforcement and inspections; and interface with local, regional, state and federal regulatory agencies.

As a special taxing district, The Reedy Creek Improvement District must operate in accordance with its charter and state laws governing such districts. Just as any city or county, the income is derived from taxes and fees imposed within its boundaries. In the case of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the major portion of taxes are paid to the District by Walt Disney World Co. and other property owners, who also pay property taxes to Orange and Osceola Counties.........

minnie61650
02-18-2008, 06:43 AM

I know thatReedy Creek has it's own Fire Department that is run by Reedy Creek and Disney (oh, all right -- people hired or controlled by Disney).

Since my DH is a commerical builder (in Michigan not Reedy Creek) and has to comply to universal fire codes I am very interested in this subject.

I have serched many websites to find out if Reedy Creek would have the authority to write its own codes.

I have never found a source that states that the Reedy Creek Fire Deartment does indeed write it's own fire codes.

Please post a link that backs your statement up.

Thanks

Allison
02-18-2008, 08:00 AM
I agree people can say what they want about fire codes but in the end it is irrelevant.

Disney owns the property so Disney makes the rules. If they say the occupancy of a king room is 2 people, then it is 2 people. It really doesn't matter why, it just matters that it is.

Crazy Kanga
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Another reason that I haven't seen mentioned is that many of these rooms are wheelchair accessible rooms, so they may try to keep as many available for those families as posssible. Just a thought.

Pooh&OurHunny
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
When I made reservation, I requested for a king bed. My son was 2 at his first Disney trip and they gave us a king bed at the Grand Floridian. They did not give us any problems a few months later we went again and request for a king bed. They did state its a request only and see if they have ability. When you check in request for it. We just got back for my sons 3 trip and when we check in we were given a King Bed.

LSchrow
02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm kind of curious as to which resort the OP had this problem with, b/c I know before DD2 came along, we had no problem on multiple occassions getting a King room w/a crib for DD1 (I can specifically recall being at GF in Jan 07 for 3 nights where we enjoyed such a set up b/c we put the crib in the outer part of the bathroom so it was kind of like a mini-suite for us to enjoy our marina view...) so I'm wondering if this is a recent blanket policy change, a resort limited policy, or the whole day-bed thing (b/c I don't remember if we had one or not at the GF...we probably did, since I'm fairly clueless on such things.....great, now I have to go back and look at pictures to see if we had a couch in our room)...

Okay, I'm back...and after a pleasant trip down memory lane (complete with photos)..we obviously did have a couch in our room since I have a photo of DD1 running bare a** naked from us while we ran her bath & DW snapped a photo of DD1's bare booty making a bee-line for said couch before we caught her.... FWIW, I tried posting a copy of the pic here, but don't know how the bare baby bottom thing would go over, so I've thought better of it...(and my middle of the night mental musings are pretty OT anyhow)...:surfweb:

well, i certainly was entertained by your ramblings..:lmao:

and glad that you decided not to post that revealing photo ~ you can bet that 10 years from now, that picture would reappear to bite your DD in said butt :eek:

;)