PDA

View Full Version : Help with getaway weeks w/interval


chrisann
02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
My girlfriend is going to book Marriott Horizons for us under her membership under one of her getaway weeks. Here's the thing, right now the rate is $890 for a 2 bdrm for the week, which I know is good, but I notice the ones available in the next few months are like $500. Here's my question, what do you think the odds are of a 2 bdrm being available for Nov.13-20th if I book it in the 45 day window?? Thanks!

swilshire
02-14-2008, 03:34 AM
I would expect the odds to be pretty good since November is such a low season. There are lots of other very nice resorts if Horizons isn't available.

If nothing but Horizons will do, I'd go ahead and book to make sure you get it. If you're more flexible, I'd feel good about getting something cheaper that time of year.

Sheila

SoonipiLady
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Why not experiement for a little. Pick a day 44 days from now and call to see what the availability and rates are like, then call in a month and check on them again 44 days out. It should give you an idea about the availability during both a busy time (March) and an average time (Late April). As long as you're not going during Thanksgiving, there should be plenty of availability and you should know what the price drop will be. I wouldn't worry if it were 100.00, but you're talking a savings of over 1/3! I'd be a little patient for that kind of $$.

Brian Noble
02-14-2008, 10:43 AM
The problem with that approach in general is that 44 days from now isn't necessarily the same "demand" as the time OP wants to go. It can fluctuate from month to month or even in some months, week to week.

I'm with Sheila. If your heart is set on Horizons, go ahead and book it---the Marriotts tend to disappear first. However, II has another 3-4 resorts that are quite comparable to the Marriotts that stick around a little longer, and are likely to survive a price cut. (And I would expect the price cut to happen at some point.)

littlestar
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
I would wait a little longer to book it. The prices should come down for fall Getaways in the next 3 to 4 months if it follows past history.

smphbear
02-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Here is an example using summer -

We just booked Cypress Pointe Grande Villas through my aunt's Interval.
She let me look at it on the internet. We continued to watch the prices for a few months. We booked last week. Our 2 bdrm unit dropped from the $800 range to the $560 range. Now that the price drop has occurred, the units of all types are starting to get more scarce. We are going May 31 - June 7. They went from availability months ahead to only 2 weeks ahead due to the price drop. If it were me, I would wait too.

Just a note - the prices have gone up about $150 since last summer, but now we were no longer willing to chance it.

terriluvsbobby
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Glad to hear all the good reports about Windsor Hills. We booked a 3 bdrm condo for our April vacation. The last time we vacationed at Disney we did the works at the Poly. It was wonderful. This time around the kids are alot bigger and having all that extra room and all that extra money saved, it was a no brainer!
What grocery store is on the way from the airport? I will need to stock the fridge. Thanks.

swilshire
02-15-2008, 04:15 AM
smphbear makes another good point. As soon as the rates drop, the units will go fast. You'll want to keep a close eye on it. Though with cancellations, you might find availability at some resorts right up to checkin time.

With Interval, I would expect 59 or 60 days to be the magic number. Not 45.

Sheila