PDA

View Full Version : the 6YO doesn't wanna walk

heartbeeps
02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
ok, so what's the best strategy for a 6 year old who will walk a very short distance :mickeyjum and then complain that she's too tired to walk any farther? :snail: :snail: :snail:

Plan A - I am hoping that she will be so excited the walking issues will disappear :tink: but if not, ... then what's the best plan B - :smickey: umbrella stroller? Disney rental stroller? any other ideas? (Carrying's out of the question and heelie's aren't allowed.)

badblackpug
02-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Oay, I'm mean, and I will probably get flamed to death for this, ...but I WILL NOT push a 6 y/o in a stroller. Whenever one of the kids complains about not wanting to walk I offer to return to the room for a nap or to go to bed. If they are truly tired they will say "yes." If they are just complaining they will say "no." I don't know how far off your trip is, but maybe you can start taking walks now to prepare everyone.

Again, maybe you will be right and she will be so excited she won't even think about it.

babiektcher
02-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I have a 5 year old and he sat in the double stroller this last time with my 3 year old. It really is a far way for them to walk, and for me, its a safety issue, I know where my kids are, especially in those crowds. We rented and it was problem free.

Sysyphus
02-11-2008, 02:42 AM
My DD5 is similar to the OPs... she is a "big girl" now who doesn't normally need a stroller, even for a full day at any of the local amusement parks, although I do tend to indulge her with piggy-backs any time we need to go any long distances quickly, especially towards the end of the day... that said we plan on getting a "length of stay" stroller rental (think it's $8/day - works in all four parks) for our upcoming 9 day trip - I don't really want the hassle of taking a stroller on the buses, and can probably do better without one for the first couple of hours, but it will be so nice to be able to pick up one when we need it... it's an awful lot of walking for little legs.

Sleepy
02-11-2008, 03:45 AM
The only other option I can see for the age appropriateness (yes, I do think 6 is too old for a stroller.) would be to take alot of breaks on the park benches. She will very quickly realize she is missing out on stuff and will pick up the pace.

tessie28
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
when I go to Disney with my kids..my vacation is pretty much "child led" but only in the sense that whe they are tired we stop...we take in what is around us...we deal with the reality that little feet might not make it to every cool thing every trip....

but no, I wouldn't coddle a 6 year old with a stroller, unless thier was a physical reason.

LJD2143
02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
For the past 2 years, we specifically prepare our 3 boys (ages 5, 5 & 7) ahead of time - with lots and lots of walking at home: walking the dog, hiking the trails in the local parks, and numerous trips to the zoo. This was especially important for one of the twins, in particular, who has had 2 surgeries on each foot to repair his genetic bi-lateral club foot condition. He can walk perfectly fine, but always seemed to lag behind and get tired sooner than the rest. The "training for Disney World" walks definitely worked - and my lagger soon became our front-runner! :flower3:

collcass
02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
when I go to Disney with my kids..my vacation is pretty much "child led" but only in the sense that whe they are tired we stop...we take in what is around us...we deal with the reality that little feet might not make it to every cool thing every trip....

but no, I wouldn't coddle a 6 year old with a stroller, unless thier was a physical reason.

We are going in July. we already have to rent a stroller for rour youngest, but I told DH we might as well get a double so that if our six year old needed to sit for a while he could. We could walk ten miles a day with them in New England and it won't do any good considering the difference in climate and the number of people in the parks.

I'd not given it a second thought until I read on here that people think it is coddling or unneccessary. Makes me glad that my 6 year old is the size of about a four year old so I won't have people staring at me like I am crazy for letting him get in a stroller.

nicolem05
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Well we just returned a few days ago and my 6 year old can walk pretty good distances as we are avid hikers.. but we rented him one in epcot and after initial hesitation he soon was happy we had. There were tons of older kids in strollers and if he didn't want to ride in it we used it to haul backpacks, extra camera gear and souvenirs. We were really happy we did this and I found it easier to zip along at our adult pace and enjoy all the world pavilions. In fact I think we will do the same thing on our second trip this year. The strollers are not little baby strollers and we rented a double for him and thought it was the best choice. I didn't find pushing him any harder than our 1 year old as the rentals maneuver really well.

RllngRckBrw
02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Our son will be a month from being 6 this year and we still plan on getting a stroler. Last year we let him ride long distances and it alowed him to keep enough energy tl alow him to make it through the whole day. I will never carry him or push him in a stroler anywhere else, but I think with the ammount of walking that week, I am not going to make my stand.

toesmom
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
ok, so what's the best strategy for a 6 year old who will walk a very short distance :mickeyjum and then complain that she's too tired to walk any farther? :snail: :snail: :snail:

Plan A - I am hoping that she will be so excited the walking issues will disappear :tink: but if not, ... then what's the best plan B - :smickey: umbrella stroller? Disney rental stroller? any other ideas? (Carrying's out of the question and heelie's aren't allowed.)

There is so much to see at Disney and you can't forget that young kids can't walk nearly as far as adults. And remember all those touring plans? Well if adults really try to follow them properly, the little ones end up pretty tired.

It's expensive to go to Disney and the last thing I want to deal with is a tired child by 2pm. So I'd say get a Maclaren Volo for cheap or rent while you are there.

6 is still pretty young. The child can walk for a few hours, but by 12 or 1 you can expect that they can't keep up with an adult's pace. I wouldn't be bothered by what others think, it's your holiday and you know best how much your child can tolerate.

For me I bring a stroller and don't think twice about it. It's tough walking from one section to another and telling your kids to hurry up so you can make it on time for a show that is starting. Or hurry up we have to get a good seat for the parade. I think some parents expect too much from the smaller kids.

karajeboo
02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Oay, I'm mean, and I will probably get flamed to death for this, ...but I WILL NOT push a 6 y/o in a stroller. Whenever one of the kids complains about not wanting to walk I offer to return to the room for a nap or to go to bed. If they are truly tired they will say "yes." If they are just complaining they will say "no." I don't know how far off your trip is, but maybe you can start taking walks now to prepare everyone.

Again, maybe you will be right and she will be so excited she won't even think about it.

I'm right there with you! Our 5 year old had absolutely no problems walking for 7 days (and we are definitely the park commandos!!!). She was so absorbed in what was around her that she did not complain once. I agree that maybe you should start walking now to gear your child up for the trip?

dimimi
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Our son was 6 and we used a stroller. He NEVER used a stroller at home, but there was no way he could keep up with the rest of us. We used the stroller to hold our jackets/water, etc. It was just so easy to put him the stroller and move without whining, etc. We brought an old stroller from home and then we left it at the resort when we left because we knew we wouldn't be back for him to need it again...hopefully someone else used it. Also, sometimes it is SO crowded that it is nice to know exactly where your child is.

morgy827
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
When I was growing up going to WDW my parents goal was to get us OUT of the stroller. It's really hard to push a stroller around the parks all day, find a place to park it before each ride and try to find it after each ride. When we were young we took a lot of breaks and if we were tired we left. The breaks actually let us enjoy more of WDW than we would have if we were asleep in a stroller.

karenklo
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
When we went in 2003 our youngest was 10mo and our oldest was almost 4. He made it 2 days walking and then begged for his own stroller. When we went in 2006 he was 7 and the youngest 4 and neither one needed a stroller. Our youngest never wanted to stop. We had to DRAG him out of the MK at 1:30am.

mousemomof2
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
My daughter will turn 7 when we go in March and I bought the Maclaren Volo just for her. Well, for our sanity also.:thumbsup2 That being said, we do not let her use it here at home.

SmallWorld71
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Just curious, do those of you who think a stroller is coddling have your 6yr. olds walk 10 miles a day at home?:confused3
Seriously, a day at Epcot can easily exceed that amount.
My strategy with that age is rent one if needed - that usually means Epcot and maybe MK, although all kids are different.
My kids all stopped using a stroller at home at age 2. Disney, on the other hand, is nothing like home. With all the complaints I read on these boards about having to stand on buses, it's safe to say there are a lot of adults out there who are pretty tired too. Rent the stroller if you need one! - JMHO

ddstratton
02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I guess I'm an odd one. I will have no qualms at all about renting a stroller if my child gets tired when we make our first trip this October. And our daughter will be 9 (yes nine) when we go. I'd rather push her in a stroller when she gets tired than have a cranky kid to deal with. She obviously doesn't use a stroller in normal daily life, and can usually out-walk any one of us. However, Disney World is a completely different experience from normal daily life. Do I plan on getting a stroller for her? No. Will I get one, if I think it will make all of our live's easier? Most definitely YES!!

Basically, I guess my philosophy is whatever works for you! It's not hurting anyone else if your older child rides in a stroller, so why not?

mhm
02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
No one is going to look at you funny for letting your 6 yr old ride in a stroller at Disney, except maybe a few that don't have kids. Our dd5 had not used a stroller at all in over a year, but would not have lasted long at WDW in September without one. The heat just wears them out if they are not used to it. At DL in January, we did not rent a stroller the first day--and ended up carrying her (at 5o lbs) across DTD back to the hotel at the end of the day. After that, we rented a stroller, and parked it once in each "land" while going from ride to ride. She lasted through the fireworks (well after her normal bedtime) those days. Things are much more spread out at WDW than DL, too.

Nikisha421
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
my DD will be 5 in April and when we go to AKV in August I am going to get a stroller

Ashley Kees
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Just curious, do those of you who think a stroller is coddling have your 6yr. olds walk 10 miles a day at home?:confused3
Seriously, a day at Epcot can easily exceed that amount.
My strategy with that age is rent one if needed - that usually means Epcot and maybe MK, although all kids are different.
My kids all stopped using a stroller at home at age 2. Disney, on the other hand, is nothing like home. With all the complaints I read on these boards about having to stand on buses, it's safe to say there are a lot of adults out there who are pretty tired too. Rent the stroller if you need one! - JMHO

I have three kids, 4, 3, and 1, and only the 1 yo uses a stroller. With the amount of running, playing, jumping, nature walks, etc that my kids do daily, yes, I would say they easily hit 10 miles a day, and my guess is most active kids do, too. Even at Epcot, you aren't hitting 10 miles full tilt, non-stop. There are food stops, potty breaks, looking at stuff breaks, and rides interspersed in there.

I can't imagine my oldest would need a stroller at 6yo anymore than should would now at 4yo. When they start whining about being tired, it is usually because they are bored. In that case, we find something else to do. If they really are tired, we take a little break. We don't let the older ones in the stroller unless they are injured.

All of that said, though, we live in Tx., where it is just as hot as Florida. If your kids aren't used to it, you need to be taking LOTS of breaks, and if your sweet baby can't handle the HEAT, I think a stroller would be fine. You certainly won't get a dirty look, even from me. :lmao: Exercise is one thing, heat stroke is something else alltogether.

SmallWorld71
02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I have three kids, 4, 3, and 1, and only the 1 yo uses a stroller. With the amount of running, playing, jumping, nature walks, etc that my kids do daily, yes, I would say they easily hit 10 miles a day, and my guess is most active kids do, too. Even at Epcot, you aren't hitting 10 miles full tilt, non-stop. There are food stops, potty breaks, looking at stuff breaks, and rides interspersed in there.

I can't imagine my oldest would need a stroller at 6yo anymore than should would now at 4yo. When they start whining about being tired, it is usually because they are bored. In that case, we find something else to do. If they really are tired, we take a little break. We don't let the older ones in the stroller unless they are injured.

All of that said, though, we live in Tx., where it is just as hot as Florida. If your kids aren't used to it, you need to be taking LOTS of breaks, and if your sweet baby can't handle the HEAT, I think a stroller would be fine. You certainly won't get a dirty look, even from me. :lmao: Exercise is one thing, heat stroke is something else alltogether.

You made me think of something else which can affect the need for a stroller on not - the whole group's dynamics. If we were just traveling with my daughter, or she was the oldest, she could probably walk as we could go at her pace. However, she has 2 older brothers and she always feels the need to keep up with them. Yes, we could split up and take her back for a rest but she would be beside herself thinking that the boys were doing something and she couldn't. So, we use a stroller for her so she can keep up with the boys.
So I guess the bottom line is, there isn't one good answer.:goodvibes

MichaelH
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Our DS is 7 and our DD is 4. We rent a stroller at Disney. It is nice to have a place to put all your stuff that you aquire in the parks during the course of a day.

We make the kids walk, but they do get tired. When they have walked a good while we will let them ride in the stroller for a bit, and get rested. We then tell them that they need to walk. It works quite well and they wind up walking more than they realize.

Again we don't push them all day, but we will let them ride when they need to rest or if we need to get somewhere fast.

heartbeeps
02-11-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks everyone for your opinions.

I was really wanting to know if there were other options besides stroller & walking to consider (with walking choice being "stopping" when the child complains which - if history repeats itself might be by the time we get on Main Street! LOL) ...keep in mind she complains NOW when she walks short distances at home.

I just didn't know if there were other ideas, carry the kid on your back (forget that my back hurts already)

re putting her in a stroller, she just nudges over the 40" inch rule and is often mistaken for a 4yo. Besides, I really don't care what people think about it; I just want to give her the best experience possible. Of course, not tiring her out and... not exhausting me in carrying her.

perhaps there's a market out there to invent something that's not quite a stroller but works for older kids. (ah yeah, they probably already invented it - heelies! LOL)

DVCHokie
02-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm 19, I've gone to Disney World more times than i can count and my first time was when i was six years old as well, my parents never even considered pushing me in a stroller, they just never expected to be in a huge hurry, we walked slow, but really unless you're not stopping to do any attractions or look in any of the shops its not too much to ask of a six year old, there is so much going on around that she probably won't even notice how much she has walked, just make sure she is having a magical time, even when she's walking!

snugglepeas
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
We are going in July. we already have to rent a stroller for rour youngest, but I told DH we might as well get a double so that if our six year old needed to sit for a while he could. We could walk ten miles a day with them in New England and it won't do any good considering the difference in climate and the number of people in the parks.

I'd not given it a second thought until I read on here that people think it is coddling or unneccessary. Makes me glad that my 6 year old is the size of about a four year old so I won't have people staring at me like I am crazy for letting him get in a stroller.

I would not worry about what other people might think, if it works for your family then it's great, I personally would rather have a happy 6 year old in a stroller than to have a very tired, cranky 6 year old walking. by about the 4th day I am wishing someone would push me around in a stroller. the Florida head is VERY different than the New England heat.

PiratesRock
02-11-2008, 10:20 PM
When we went before, my girls were 6 and 7. My girls did great for the most part but were exhausted by late afternoon at MK. We took a nice long break at a little park area (can't remember the name but had water shooting up in spots and Pooh & Tigger nearby). This helped a LOT but if I had it to do over I'd just get the stroller for an hour or 2 to give them the break. They're 8 & 9 now and will be doing the Music City Children's Marathon in April, so I don't expect this visit we'll have a problem. Of course, they're definately too old for strollers now! :cool1:

collcass
02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks. My six year old is about the happiest guy, but, boy, if he is unhappy the entire world knows it.

We take our kids to Boston often and never use a stroller, even for the little one. We also hike in NH and VT but the heat and humidity in Florida is a completely different monster. Not to mention we are going 4th of July so we aree going to be squeezed into MK like a bunch of burnt sardines!!!

MommaSnowwhite
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
We haven't used a stroller in years. The biggest thing I remember about using a stroller in the World was how tired and crabby it made Me. Esp. when they are bigger and heavier. I don't judge anyone for using one - but we just walked slower and took afternoon breaks. Good Luck!

GBShorts
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Let me start this post with a disclaimer saying I'm NOT trying to be rude. It's a sincere question. ;)

Do you think she might have a medical issue that makes her legs or feet hurt? I have really weak ankles (they turn in) and it hurts me to stand for long periods of time or walk. Have you considered taking her to the pediatrician to find out if he or she might notice a problem?

I also thought of gym class at school. Does she complain when she's having to run and play in gym or at recess? The reason I ask is because I wonder if it's something she considers "fun" if she drops the complaints. If you're having to walk through a mall, a 6yo might consider that boring and complain, but if it's somewhere like WDW, the land of over-stimulation, she might be a completely different child.

You can always try it when you first get in the park, and if she starts to complain, you can get a "kid transporter" like campbellscott calls it in her trip report (I think that's her name!). Each child is different and you never know.

It's easy to say "no, I wouldn't let my kid ride" but if you don't know the child-if they have medical issues, chronic illness, or whatever, you have no way of knowing how that individual child might react. I'll admit, my first reaction was "a 6yo in a stroller???" but the more I thought about it, I remembered my younger years waiting in lines and such at 6 flags and how miserable I was...and I was anywhere from 8-12!! It was literally painful to stand there regardless of what sort of shoes I wore.

Whatever you choose to do, it sounds like you've got the right head on-you're going to do what's best for your child and I applaud you for that. ;)

wen774
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
If it will make her happy, let her ride. I rented a double for my kids the last trip when they were just 5 and almost 7. This next trip they will be expected to walk. I saw plently of older kids in strollers, so really no one will care. Heck, If I thought I could convince someone to push me in a stroller I would. My feet are killing me after a day in the parks.

vellamint
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
IN the year 2000 we went with 2 just-barely 6 year olds, an 8 year old and a 9 year old.....it was August...it was hot and at times we had 3 kids in a double......actually one time we had my husband in the stroller!!!! Dont worry about other people!!!! Do what You feel is best for Yours.

momxx5
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
We were at WDW this past summer. My 5yr old and 8 yr old DDs shared a stroller. My 8yr old is small for her age and does tire easily. I know exactly how you feel.

My #1 main reason for using a stroller was to avoid any walking issues. The little one mostly used the stroller, but by afternoons by older one took her turn.

My #2 reason for using the stroller is that both girls are small and the younger of 5 kids. Keeping track of all of them at the entrances and busy rides is a skill of its own. When DD was strapped into a stroller then I knew exactly where she was.

Mclaren makes strollers for use up to 55lbs, but it did hold both my girls a few times= 80ish lbs.

I say do what is right for you. Having a stroller with you helps because you can use it at DTD, the resorts, etc. Renting a stoller is only good for the parks.

I am considering putting my Mclaren Volvo on Craigslist or Ebay because it was only used once for a week at WDW and I still have the box. I'm not sure which way to go because of shipping fees.

mareed
02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I say go to a resale shop and buy a used mid-size stroller for probably $30 - $35 and take it with you. Gate check it and then use it as a luggage cart at the airport. This is what we did with our 2 DS's who both rode in a stroller on our Disney trips until they were 8. That seemed to be the magical number for us when we kicked them out and they did fine walking with us all day. We're still weaning ourselves from having the stroller to carry our stuff!

I wouldn't bother with an umbrella stroller. They're so hard to push with anything other than a tiny child in them, and they tip over when the child gets out if you try to use them to carry any sort of a bag.

JulieNMM
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I guess I'm an odd one. I will have no qualms at all about renting a stroller if my child gets tired when we make our first trip this October. And our daughter will be 9 (yes nine) when we go. I'd rather push her in a stroller when she gets tired than have a cranky kid to deal with. She obviously doesn't use a stroller in normal daily life, and can usually out-walk any one of us. However, Disney World is a completely different experience from normal daily life. Do I plan on getting a stroller for her? No. Will I get one, if I think it will make all of our live's easier? Most definitely YES!!

Basically, I guess my philosophy is whatever works for you! It's not hurting anyone else if your older child rides in a stroller, so why not?

I agree. My kids will be 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 when we go in June. They haven't used a stroller since our last WDW trip 2 years ago. I am not planning on renting one this trip, but if they really want one, I will. Plus, I like strollers! Then I don't end up carrying everything around all day and it's nice to have a place for the kids to sit while we're walking. My kids are way too big to carry. I remember last time we went, the hardest part was the walk back from the park entrance/exit to the car in the parking lot. My DD was always so tired and we had given back the stroller.

I wish they made strollers for grown-ups! :rotfl2:

ETA: I was also wondering if maybe your DD had a physical problem if she can't walk for very long. Does she tire easily at home? My kids do sports 4 days a week and have tons of energy, but they get tired, too, but not til after a long day. They're not usually tired after an hour. Also, maybe she is not getting enough rest at night? I know that when we go on vacations, we tend to stay up later and sometimes wake up earlier and that can make anyone tired!

JULIE

PrincessHannah
02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Start out with short walks and gradually increase them. Maybe make a calendar with a countdown to Disney that she can put stickers on when you guys take a walk. That might help. But if you end up needing a stroller I wouldn't worry about what other people think. I kind of miss having a stroller to put all my stuff on now that my kids are older.

WantToGoNow
02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
We used strollers on our last trip -- the kids were almost 3 and 5.5. My ds is a big complainer when he's tired. He will be 7.5 when we return and I don't doubt for a minute that he'll need a stroller. We go to amusement parks and zoos here and he walks without an issue, but WDW is walking all day every day and it even wears me out. He also has asthma and the higher the temps, the more he wheezes - I would imagine the wheezing makes him more tired more quickly. I bought 2 Maclaren Volo's for our last trip - they are safely stored in the garage for the next visit.

momtoBrandon&Jacob
02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I would not worry about what other people might think, if it works for your family then it's great, I personally would rather have a happy 6 year old in a stroller than to have a very tired, cranky 6 year old walking. by about the 4th day I am wishing someone would push me around in a stroller. the Florida head is VERY different than the New England heat.

Ditto! I honestly couldn't care less if I get looks from people if I put my 6 yo in a stroller. Honestly, if they have nothing else to do than worry about my kids in strollers then they've got much bigger issues than I do! :thumbsup2

JodyLynC
02-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Our girls will be 5 when we go and we will not hesitate getting a stroller.

If you have an aggressive agenda and plan on keeping a good pace, you should probably get a stroller. I realize that my kids can't walk as fast as me, and although there will be times that we will be moseying along, there will also be times that we will be wanting to rush in order to make an ADR, show, etc.

I imagine that much of the time, my girls will want to walk and I will encourage that. But when we are in a rush and my girls are starting to wilt in the Florida heat, Momma will be glad for a stroller.

:dance3:

sueh
02-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I say do whatever is you feel is right for you. You also shouldn't worry what other people think.

We will be in DisneyWorld in July and my children will be 8 & 6. My 6 yo loves to walk but sometimes she does get tired and cranky when we go to parks & zoos so I bring the umbrella stroller for her. I am concerned with the heat factor in July. I know that as an adult I get tired in the heat and I can just magine that my child will be exhausted in it so I will get them both a carriage if they get tired.

PC MOM
02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
My DD just turned 7 when we were at Disney. The first day she was a trooper and did MK from 8:10am until Wishes. (We did return to the resort for a swim in the afternoon.)

BUT, she was tired!

The next day in AK I gladly got a stroller for her. She used it sporatically but I think it is worth every $$$.:woohoo:

We are a fit family. DD swims, skates, plays soccer, gymnastics. We hike/bike/swim as a family etc..... but she is 7 and I do not expect her to keep up with grown-ups.

I think her being happy and comfortable only helps all of us have a better time.;)

My DH and I use to crack up at all the screaming kids.......DH would say, "...for the happiest place on earth, some of these kids are pretty unhappy...." :lmao:

But, to each their own. I personally would rent a stroller if it were going to make your vacation more peaceful. Otherwise, it's really not a vacation.:goodvibes

frtchr
02-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Is it more important to make her walk or more important to have a fun vacation? I say use a stroller. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for my kids, no matter how old they are and how many people say the kids SHOULD be able to walk miles and miles in a day.

Have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup2

Arvandor_Ilfirin
02-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Judge according to how she handles things as far as her personality is concerned. That'd be the best advice I can give!:rotfl:

When I was 4, on my first trip to WDW, my mom and dad dragged me everywhere and not once did I get a break to rest unless it was a ride, parade, restaurant meal or monorail ride to the hotel. I was fine! Disney for a kid is so enthralling, it's likely that they won't be concerned as long as they are well hydrated and fed.

Still, not everyone is the same, either. Some kids are prone to meltdowns when overstimulated and from what I hear, strollers are a great way to block out the unwanted. (Another plus to a stroller, methinks. :) )

Try going on walks anyways to gear up, it's good for you both and WDW is a LOT of walking, so it'll get her used to the amount of physical energy required!

Have fun! :wizard:

momof3girls6712
02-18-2008, 05:21 AM
we have 3 girls ages 6, 7, and 12. Even though we do not need a stroller daily we still rent a double at Disney. My 6 yr old does not like to walk far and gets tired and cranky quickly. My 7 yr old plays soccer year old but still gets winded at Disney. I would not do it without the stroller at this point. In fact in May the 12 year old climbed in for brief moments.

Kitzer
02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I say do whatever is you feel is right for you. You also shouldn't worry what other people think.

We will be in DisneyWorld in July and my children will be 8 & 6. My 6 yo loves to walk but sometimes she does get tired and cranky when we go to parks & zoos so I bring the umbrella stroller for her. I am concerned with the heat factor in July. I know that as an adult I get tired in the heat and I can just magine that my child will be exhausted in it so I will get them both a carriage if they get tired.

I agree, just do what is right for you! We, not more than an hour ago, bought the Maclaren Volo at 'Baby's R US' for our June 08 trip for our 5yr old. While trying it in the store, we felt kind of ridiculous because my dd looked like baby Huey in the stroller. But so what!!

How can you possibly prep your kid for 10-12 hours of walking/standing in intense Florida June heat? Even if you take them for long walks or whatever, the conditions are not the same. I don't want to be slowed down by a tired complaining child when I could just as easily plop her butt in the stroller and keep on rolling. Also we keep a cooler of iced down water bottles and drinks in the bottom of the stroller. That has been crucial to our Disney survival the last three years (always in June).

If your kid has the energy to hoof it, more power to em. Or if he doesn't have the energy, but you make them suffer through it, that's your perogative. For me, I'm gonna give my kid a rest when she needs it, and have ice cold drinks to boot. :woohoo:

DiznEeyore
02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Dude, there are days when *I* wish I could be in a stroller, LOL!!!! :lmao: Now, I have a lot of trouble with blisters, so that of course has something to do with it. I've been so miserable on a couple of trips that dh has wanted to rent a wheelchair so I didn't have to limp painfully everywhere, but I'd never let him do that. ;)

For kiddos, I think it's ridiculous that people care whether or not you're pushing a 5 or 6yo in a stroller. It's no one else's business, and if it makes your trip more enjoyable for you and your kiddoes, then definitely do it! It's not like you're allowing your kids to infringe obnoxiously on other people (and so many parents seem to think their little rampaging angels can do no wrong).

On our first trip, we bought an umbrella stroller for our son who was almost 6. He didn't ride in it all the time (in fact, we used it to haul stuff and really missed it the next year when we actually had to *carry* our stuff, LOL), but when he needed it, we were *so* glad we had it, and we couldn't have cared less what anyone else thought.

BigMike10
03-05-2008, 09:08 AM
One day I happened upon a pair of Merrell shoes on clearance and bought them for my then 5yr old son. He raved about how comfortable his shoes were and that he didn't know shoes were supposed to feel so good. My point is that sometimes kids don't realize that their shoes don't support their feet as maybe they should. I had always bought him Nike or Reebok(not necessarily cheap shoes). Now he likes New Balance and he doesn't really care about if they look cool or not. Those skateboard shoes are awful for support-they are so flat. I would practice walking some distances before you go in shoes that fit really well. Maybe make a CD of Disney hits to get you in the spirit. And then when your child is tired at Disney, let him/her sit back in a stroller and relax and enjoy being there. Don't stress over it, there will be lots of kids riding in them who never ride in one at home1:goodvibes :goodvibes

dis75ney
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
We'll be doing a length-of-stay rental for our DS, 7. He's quite the walker at home, and he's very well trained for long periods of walking (thanks to Six Flags and outlet malls), but just in case he needs to take a break, the stroller will be there for him. When he's not using it, it'll hold the massive amounts of stuff we'll be taking into the parks (and out of the parks, the way I shop at Disney!), especially since DH is diabetic and needs to carry his stuff with him at all times.

Besides, I can't feel too bad about allowing my 7 year old to hop into a stroller for a break, considering that DH and I rented a double stroller for two days on our last trip...I was pregnant with DS at the time, and the double stroller was for ME! :rotfl:

Kaye
03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Didn't read the all of the posts, but if we're still on the topic of the 6 y.o. in a stroller, if it makes everyone a little happier--then use the stroller. I would use a Disney stroller.

Ohhhh, how I miss the days of pushing the stroller, my kids being little, and BEING ABLE TO THROW ALL OF MY STUFF INTO IT!;)

Anyway, it gives those judgemental people something to talk about at dinner.:rotfl:

RyJMom
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Last April my son was 6 and we planned on renting a stroller. Our 1st day was Animal Kingdom and we were there at rope drop to hightail it to Mt Everest. I planned on getting the stroller a little later in the morning but he never asked about it so we kept going. We never got one all week. He never complained once. Now this is a kid that can be in Walmart 5 minutes and start complaining about too much walking but I guess he was so excited he forgot he was lazy!! You might give it a try without it to see what happens. BTW I see nothing wrong w/older kids using a stroller at Disney - its a ton of walking.

mckinley
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
My daughter was 7 last trip in feb 07. I got her a stroller a few times. I know people looked at us like what is that big kid doing in a stroller, but allowing her to take a break while on the move allowed us to see more. Also we are going in a few weeks and to be honest i would do it again as long as she still fits in one.

bookmama
03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
the first time we went ds was 5 and dn was 4 we walked them before we got there months in advance building their stamina. never needed a stroller--besides they were too excited to sit still

HALEYSMOMMOM
03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Going in Sept. and planning on getting my 5 and 8 yr olds a dbl stroller, length of stay. I really don't care what anyone thinks, its what I'm doing!;) I will know where they are at all times, and have a place to put my stuff. No, the 8 yr old won't be in it much, but she will some. And at just now 50 pounds, she is tiny, and I don't want to hear any whining!

dimimi
03-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Going in Sept. and planning on getting my 5 and 8 yr olds a dbl stroller, length of stay. I really don't care what anyone thinks, its what I'm doing!;) I will know where they are at all times, and have a place to put my stuff. No, the 8 yr old won't be in it much, but she will some. And at just now 50 pounds, she is tiny, and I don't want to hear any whining!

Our son used one when he was 5 and 6...who cares? It's like that potty training idea...everyone is in such a hurry to have them potty training...you know, when they hit kindergarten, noone knows when a child was potty trained. When your child remembers Disney, he/she isn't going to say he remembers sitting in a stroller! Who cares what other people think. Think about it, they are probably doing things that make you look twice!:rotfl2: Just have fun!:banana:

WendyMS
03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Play it by ear---rent a stroller if you need one. Forcing a tired child to keep on walking sounds like torture for the parent as well. I would agree that some "Disney Training" like taking long walks regularly before the trip is a good idea. If the endurance training and excitement of the World makes the stroller unnecessary, great!! If tiredness seeps in, rent!

One other thought I had with respect to the OP: Recent growth spurts can make kids legs tire easily!! My son had some serious growing pains in his legs the summer he was 6 or 7. Very active kid. He'd long outgrown the stroller. Then suddenly "my legs hurt" all the time. We were icing down his legs at night (this is a child who HATES ice and refuses it for most injuries). We ended up having x-rays done to rule out stress fractures or something more serious. Doctor's diagnosis: growing pains. They disappeared after a few months. If we'd been at Disney during that period, I'd have gotten a stroller without a second thought.

Wendy

seashoreCM
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
(copied from another post)
Let the slowest child set the pace.
I.e. if a child starts to lag behind, slow down yourself.

Something worth trying: Take strides no bigger than your child's, keeping that up for a few of the jaunts between rides or buildings.

Are you sure your child might not be suffering from blisters?

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

JOLAROCHE
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
If it will make things easy and for a more fun trip either bring a cheap stroller or rent one. My son was four and did not want a stroller but I brought one just in case. and it made all of our lives in Disney much better.

airhead
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't have kids,but I've been in the parks late in the day,and watched poor little kids draggin' their feet because they're so tired! Adults sometimes want to do too much and little ones can't deal with it! I say GET THE CARRIAGE!!! If you can't get back to your hotel so your kid can nap,I think its good to have
someplace he can rest. Who cares what people think!!!! Do what works for your family.

rileysmommy
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm actually contemplating getting a double stroller for our trip. We will have an almost 3 year old ds who definitely will need the stroller and an almost 7 year old dd. She doesn't like to walk and will complain and whine and basically be obnoxious. We are traveling with family and my sister has very long legs (she's 5'11") and walks very fast. My dd is short and has very short legs. It's a struggle for her to keep up with her Auntie Kim. So I have been thinking about renting a double stroller for her to have a place if she needs it. And I don't really care what other people think.

tlens
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Who cares what others think and if they judge you for putting a 6 year in a stroller then shame on them.

1) kids legs are smaller and don't have the same leg span as an adult therefore they have to walk twice as fast to keep up with a commando adult.

2) Some older kids in strollers need them. LOTS of Make a Wish trips in DW. These kids may not "look" sick but if you see an 8 year old in a stroller don't be quick to judge. BE thankful your child is well enough to walk and mind your own business.

My 6 year old rode a couple of times in my 3 year old's stroller last trip. She had been quite ill two days earlier and was still recovering from that when we finally ventured back to the parks after taking a few days off for her to feel better. If people thought we were coddling her by allowing her to ride then so be it. It allowed us to get back to the parks without exhausting her.

People are simply way to judgemental of others.

eliza61
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I got rid of the stroller not really because of the kids but because it was turning into a rolling junk drawer and I was the one pushing it (excuse me, it's my vacation also.. hello). We simply slowed down, when my kids got tired, we took mini breaks. There were plenty of benches and such to relax.

BeckyScott
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
2) Some older kids in strollers need them. LOTS of Make a Wish trips in DW. These kids may not "look" sick but if you see an 8 year old in a stroller don't be quick to judge. BE thankful your child is well enough to walk and mind your own business.

Thank you for pointing that out. We will be travelling with an 8 y/o who is autistic and has low muscle tone, and we will be getting a stroller. Maybe not every day, but definately at Epcot, that's our first park, and we'll take it from there. Part of it is the muscle tone, part of it is to help keep track of him, part of it is to provide him a safe spot. Anybody that gives us "the look" is going to get an ear-full, trust me. ;)

I personally don't think Disney (or any vacation for that matter) is a good opportunity to teach hard life lessons. Most kids are not exposed to the amount of walking they'll do at Disney, yes doing walking at home beforehand helps, but Disney will wear out an adult. Parents make their kids keep walking when they're tired, make them haul around for 8 hours straight, try to pull that off for four or five days straight, and then end up hysterical off of their "ruined" vacation.

Some kids, yes, might be able to do it. The excitement the first day or two will carry them through. But you shouldn't count on that happening, and shouldn't get upset if it doesn't, and yes definately shouldn't judge other parents pushing their "big kid" in a stroller.

CampbellScot
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Ack...major "judgment" magnet is this question.

Bottom line is, you know your kid. If you rent a stroller for your 6 year old, you will NOT be out of place. Every second person has a bigger kid in a stroller at Disney. It's a lot of walking. More walking than one might think. We got a double for my 6 and 8 year old step kids last summer. We'll be getting one THIS year too. Why? B/c it cuts down on whining...and complaining about tired legs...and blisters. It keeps the kids rested, out of the sun, but still in the action. We were able to do a lot more with them, with less fussing with each other and happy feet and kids by the end of the day. They walked when they felt like it and rode when they felt like it. The Disney strollers are amazingly easy to push! That's what vacation is about...maximizing the fun...not enforcing a "you are a BIG GIRL...now WALK" issue. Disney is not the time to tackle that particular issue IMO.

Relax, do what works best for your little one and for you. You are not being a bad parent if you get a stroller for your six year old. You are preserving your happy bubble along with hers!

:goodvibes

Have Fun!!!!

missesdisney
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Other than carrying the child, which does not sound like a viable plan, I don't think there are other approved options at Disney - stroller or walk. No wagons are allowed so that would be out.

I have to comment though on the stroller thing - I'm sure there are children who are truly conditioned in everday life from sports, or hiking or such but I would imagine the average child should not be expected to sustain the pace and distance of how my family personally tours Disney. We are open to close people - we don't rush but we don't really stop and we do this for up to 11 days in a trip depending on the year. There are days that I can barely make it to the door, so I cannot in any way expect my son to do so. He just turned 7 and for our recent November trip I invested in a MacClaren quest which I expect to use again in November (when yes, he will be close to 8). The stroller is never used for any other trips (we go to DC once a year for a weekend and walk a lot there) but it is an absolute must in Disney.

For my personal touring style (we don't break and nap as we go off season generally when park hours are significantly shorter) there is no option to not use a stroller. Only place he really walks is downtown disney - stroller goes to all of the parks. Now he is probably in it 50% of the time but we have our stuff in it - can bring water and snacks without lugging and the thing is light and easy to maneuver. And when he conks out at the blink of an eye while we are at a park (often at Epcot WS enjoying some relaxing shopping etc), we can continue to enjoy ourselves without a cranky child and since we hae our own and not a rental, we can get him all the way to the car or bus without having to carry his 50 pound butt.

I think that some people, not all, react strangely to a child in a stroller when they decide the child is 'old enough'. I'm 38 and if someone would push me for a few hours in Disney then I would take it! I just don't get the suck it up attitude I have heard from some of my own friends on this issue. If people would do what works for their child, not what they think should work there would be a lot less miserable parents and screaming kids at Disney. (This wasn't directed at anyone here - it's from personal experience).

disneyfan2
03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Don't feel bad if you decide to get a stroller. You know your child. My 4.5 never uses a stroller at home, but i would not expect her to walk the amount we did in a short time. If you have a long enough vacation where you can plan only 1/2 days at the park then you might manage without, but if like us, we went to parks early stayed til we were tire, then went for a rest. We headed back in the early evening and stayed as long as we could. Some days i was so tired i couldn't imagine my 4yr old walking that much. My DD9 was fine. You could play it by ear and rent a stroller at the big parks(AK/EPCOT)
We found DHS was ok without because there was alot of time to rest at shows.
Whatever you do, don't worry about what others think. It is your vacation and if it makes your child comfortable to be in a stroller then go for it.

Tnkrbelle565
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I would also say go with what you think is best. I wouldn't dream of trying to do Disney yet w/o a stroller and DD is 4! I know I might be encouraging my kid to be lazy but I would rather not put up with the "I'm too tired to walk" meltdowns. DD doesn't always ride in hers but it's nice to have it there just in case. Just like at home...she rarely uses it, but I always keep it in my trunk...just in case.

antree
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
When we went to Disney in Nov. my DS was 2 months shy of 6 yrs old. We were there for 2 weeks and took our stroller with us. Before we left for Disney he complained he wasn't going to be able to walk the whole day. He doesn't use the stroller at home, but we have been to Disney many times and he knows all about the walking. So we took the stroller, he sat in it 2 days then never wanted to sit in it again. I had no problem pushing my son, we were all happy and that's all that mattered. But after being there he knew there was more to explore when he wasn't in the stroller. I even missed not having the stroller when the crowds were thick and we had no where to put our things.:)
In March last year he used the stroller everyday he had just turned 5. At 6 he knew he didn't need it anymore. If you have no problem taking it then don't worry about it. If you don't have one then I would rent it only if needed once you are there.
Enjoy and do what is good for you and your family.

RoosMomKanga
03-12-2008, 01:00 PM
My kids were in strollers at WDW at 4 1/2, 7 (that week), and 6. For the last one, I even went so far as to buy a new stroller (he was long out of one so I'd gotten rid of it and back then it was cheaper to buy a new one than renting from WDW for 10 days) that was heavy duty enough for a larger kid (took him to the store and tested them). I then gave the stroller to my younger sister who was having a baby.

My kids have always been great athletes, so getting in shape isn't an issue. We took long trips, we don't go back to the hotel for breaks, and I don't expect them not to get tired when my feet are aching by the end of 3 days at the parks! It's no big deal to push a stroller, so why risk anyone being miserable when you don't have to?

synclair11
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
everyone will be looking at us, last year my two year didn't want to ride so my 6 year old did, we bought them both a maclaren for the trip. this year we will either bring one or rent a double. yes my 7 year old is able to walk but i am not one of those people who let there kids wander around from me, so i guess people judging me for letting my very tall 7 year old ride can judge me because i am judging them for letting their children follow along way behind them where anyone can grab them, or they get lost . and then they can stand their wondering where their child is ... while i have mine in a stroller right with me :thumbsup2

pigletto
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I hadn't even thought of this issue before now. My three yr old will be four when we hit Disney. The stroller has been gone for over a year already.
He is a busy, active , energy filled guy. I don't imagine it will be a huge issue that often if we just let him set the pace like another poster mentioned. And if it becomes one .. because it could.. then yes.. I will get one.
At the zoo near our home you can rent a stroller .. OR a wagon. I like the wagons , they feel a little more grown up. But in the end.. I'm not too worried about it.

myAAbatteries&aTD
03-13-2008, 12:03 AM
We'll be taking our Mac Twin Rally for sure this June and will also have our Peg Pliko, just in case we need it.... mine also walk everywhere here, are well accustomed to exercising, etc.... but as several people have mentioned, Disney is in its own league. You know your child better than anyone else, and if her riding in a stroller will make her happy and your vacation more enjoyable, use it! I know that all 3 of my kiddos will at some point or another ride/rest/nap/etc.... in our strollers and it will make our vacation a happier one! I don't care how magical and exciting everything is, I know my younger daughter would whine and be miserable if I insisted that she walk the entire time we are there (thereby making everyone unhappy and miserable....). We stay until closing and as someone mentioned, pushing a sleeping child in a stroller is a lot easier than carrying one!!! Do what's best for you and don't worry what others think!!! It's not a contest to see whose kid can walk Disney and whose can't...

LOVE the story of the pregnant Dis'er being pushed in the stroller - that's great!!!

KorieDWnut
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
It doesn't bother me at all that I now know people may look at me funny. Oh well. It is my vacation and if I feel it will make my life a whole lot easier to "give in" or "coddle" my 5 and 7yo by having a stroller for them, then oh well. It is not a battle I am willing to fight while on vacation, or a life lesson I am willing to teach while there. We have plenty of battles and lessons at home, we don't use a stroller at all at home. I got rid of it last year. But at WDW I feel that having a stroller is such a relief for me. For one, I can keep my stuff in it and for another, I don't have to have whining and cranky kids. They are happy, we are happy. It is a win-win situation.
I think it helps that my 7yo looks like she is 5 and my 5yo looks like she is 3.

My 9yo wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller after the age of 5. She would roll her eyes if we even suggested such a thing. She could keep walking and walking and never ever complain. Unfortunately my other 2 are not like her, so the stroller it is.

HALEYSMOMMOM
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
It doesn't bother me at all that I now know people may look at me funny. Oh well. It is my vacation and if I feel it will make my life a whole lot easier to "give in" or "coddle" my 5 and 7yo by having a stroller for them, then oh well. It is not a battle I am willing to fight while on vacation, or a life lesson I am willing to teach while there. We have plenty of battles and lessons at home, we don't use a stroller at all at home. I got rid of it last year. But at WDW I feel that having a stroller is such a relief for me. For one, I can keep my stuff in it and for another, I don't have to have whining and cranky kids. They are happy, we are happy. It is a win-win situation.
I think it helps that my 7yo looks like she is 5 and my 5yo looks like she is 3.

I am in the same situation almost exactly! Mine will be 8 and 5 when we go though, but they look about 6 and 3. Not that it really matters, but it does help I think! And the fact that they are small means not as much weight to push around, lol. And for what its worth, I agree with you on all counts! :thumbsup2

Snoella
03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I have decided to rent for my girls (5 and 7) for our upcoming Disney trip. I know they will be happier if they have the option of riding, and my goal here is to make them happy. If they are happy, I am happy! :lovestruc I will not be offended if I am the recipient of dirty looks. Also, I agree with the added bonus of being able to pile things in it when not is use.

I do have a question about multi-day rentals. Do the rental days have to be used consecutively or can they be used until they run out? :confused: I want to rent a double for 6 park visits, but we will be only going to the parks every other day. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

jlindemer
03-19-2008, 01:34 AM
There is so much to see at Disney and you can't forget that young kids can't walk nearly as far as adults. And remember all those touring plans? Well if adults really try to follow them properly, the little ones end up pretty tired.

It's expensive to go to Disney and the last thing I want to deal with is a tired child by 2pm. So I'd say get a Maclaren Volo for cheap or rent while you are there.

6 is still pretty young. The child can walk for a few hours, but by 12 or 1 you can expect that they can't keep up with an adult's pace. I wouldn't be bothered by what others think, it's your holiday and you know best how much your child can tolerate.

For me I bring a stroller and don't think twice about it. It's tough walking from one section to another and telling your kids to hurry up so you can make it on time for a show that is starting. Or hurry up we have to get a good seat for the parade. I think some parents expect too much from the smaller kids.

AMEN!

I purchased two Maclaren Volos on ebay...they were $70.99 each (that includes shipping via UPS). They were both BRAND NEW. If you have any questions about the strollers check Babies R Us...they are more expensive there, but I took my six year old there to test them out. DEFINITELY WORTH THE $$$!