PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Dec 6th-13th 2008 trip

cmysprkles911
02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Hello Dinesy fans!

My names is Corinne I am new to this site. Here's a little back round about me. I have been a Disney fan a while. First trip was in 90 I was 9 years old, I remember some things but not all. I had been wanting to go back for a long time so when it came time to plan my honeymoon there was no other place to go than WDW. I got married on September 9, 2006. We left for our WDW honeymoon on Sept 11, my 25th birthday. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge till the 14th. This was the first time that my husband had ever been to WDW. We had such a great relaxing time that when we got home we deceided that we need to travel back for our 1st anniversary. Thats bring us to September 2007. We stayed this time at the POFQ. We liked this resort but want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for our Dec 2008 trip. This trip was very different I thought that the crowds would have been light like the year before but I was wrong. We still had a great time that we want to go back and experince the holiday at WDW.

I have been reading mixed reviews about the first week in December. If there is anyone that can halp me and let me now if this is a good time to vist that would be awesome.

maryt01
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
thefisrt week many people go for the parade taping. the second week people are trying to leave before the parks get packed for the holidays. in dec 2007 we did 2nd week of dec. it was fine except for mvmcp. it was wall to wall people for the party. so, one week is no better than the other. ride lines are not bad. you can still enjoy holiday decor after about nov. 15th if you have time off in nov.

MouseFan71
02-10-2008, 06:43 PM
My new favorite time to visit the world!!! We went Dec 6-13, 2007 and had a wonderful time. We only encountered a crowd on Saturday the 8th at MK, I think they were taping the parade that day. The rest of our trip we had very low crowds and practically no wait for rides. Pop Warner will be there when you go but you won't be impacted at the Wilderness Lodge and they don't contribute to the crowd levels in the parks all that much. It's Disney World so you certainly won't have the parks to yourselves but considering how busy it gets in the summer months and during the holidays, I think the first 2 weeks in Dec are a fabulous time to go!! The decorations are beautiful and the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights is amazing. We are going again this December 4th-11th and I can't wait!!!

cmysprkles911
02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
What is Pop Werner?

EverythingDisney
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
What is Pop Werner?

National Cheer and Dance Championships. I believe this year Pop Warner is Dec 6-13th (but not positive).
My understanding is that they stay at the All Stars, and the POR and that there isn't much impact at the parks from all the kids LOL.
We will also be in Disney, at the POP, Dec 6th-10th.

danny1649
02-16-2008, 11:15 AM
:goodvibes :goodvibes Going the first part of Decemeber each year since 1991 and it is our favorite time of the year to visit.We love all the parks and resorts decorated for Christmas,MVMCP,Osborne Lights,Candlelight Processional and all the holiday live shows.Low crowds though over the years they have picked up they are still not bad.The weather is most times great but we have experienced very hot and very cold weather at this time of year.It is best to dress in layers so you can adjust to the temps.Going this Decemeber 6th -12th.:goodvibes :goodvibes

cmysprkles911
02-16-2008, 08:28 PM
We still have a little time to plan... we are not sure if we are going to be traveling the 6th-13th or now we might go Nov 29th-Dec 6th.... Cant make up my mind!!! :confused3

dburg30
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Both would be good. Unless you want to be involved in it, just find out when they are taping the xmas parade, and avoid the MK if you dont want in that mess. This year, the earlier one would be better, probably because of the pop warner stuff..

We went the 8-15 last year and LOVED it, but there was nothing going on that week in 2007..

cmysprkles911
02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Do you know when the parade was taped last year? I have never been to WDW during the Christama season. We have been 2 times for MNSSHP..

eyenjeff
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
We are going the same time Dec 6-13th! We love the WL especially at Christmas! It is so beautifully decorated and the lobby is awesome! We love going at Chri!!!stmas time, even though they are filming the parade, we just check the filming schedule and stay away from MK or from Main street when they are taping, otherwise it is fine. We are staying at the Poly this time because my husband stayed there as a child and wants to stay there with our kids too. There is so much to do at the holidays, with the parades, MVMCP, Osbourne lights, candlelight processional, etc... You will have a great time!!!

cmysprkles911
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips.. I think that the Hubby and i will be going Nov 29- Dec 6... I am soo excited.. I cant keep off these boards!!!

'OhanaMama
02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
We are going the same time Dec 6-13th! We love the WL especially at Christmas! It is so beautifully decorated and the lobby is awesome! We love going at Chri!!!stmas time, even though they are filming the parade, we just check the filming schedule and stay away from MK or from Main street when they are taping, otherwise it is fine. We are staying at the Poly this time because my husband stayed there as a child and wants to stay there with our kids too. There is so much to do at the holidays, with the parades, MVMCP, Osbourne lights, candlelight processional, etc... You will have a great time!!!

How do you find out when they are taping the Christmas Day Parade? Do they post the dates months ahead of time or do you have to wait until you get there?

memobrien
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
So i jsut went in Jan for a little over a week. And I've been bitten again... ok it's not helping that ever weekend since we returned my DD (5) says, "when can we go back to disney?"

So I'm thinking a December trip. Any advice on when is the best time? I've never been when the Christmas decorations were out. so this should be fun. Not sure where to stay either. i was thinking close to MK because that is where DD basically wants to spend all her time.

Maura

BKMETV
03-05-2008, 08:56 AM
What exactly are the Osbourne lights? :confused3

mr.bungle
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
We'll be there the 8th-16th!! can't wait!! it only took 14 years to get back there. this time it's for our honeymoon!

Not so Dumbo
03-05-2008, 04:03 PM
How do you find out when they are taping the Christmas Day Parade? Do they post the dates months ahead of time or do you have to wait until you get there?

Check the board once the December calendar is released. I'm sure it will be mentioned here. I think typically it's the first Saturday of the month. Not sure about this year with Thanksgiving being later and Pop Warner moved to the second week.

eyenjeff
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
What exactly are the Osbourne lights? :confused3

You can go on the disney website and they have pictures, but basically they are in DHS and at Holiday time they decorate the streets of NY with Billions and Billions of lights and play music and sell hot chocolate and it snows too! It is awesome and not to be missed!!!!

BKMETV
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks...I guess I better add an evening trip to DHS to my itinerary. Mind you I pretty tired of snow after another storm last night!!

thomasclan85
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
We're going Dec 3-9, 2008. We chose those dates based on what I read in forums and Disney books saying that it was less crowded. Plus my daughter adores Christmas decorations (what kid doesn't) AND it's cooler than May which was when we took our first trip. I found Florida humidity to be much different than Virginia humidity. :eek: Good luck with your planning!

bigmoonmullen
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks...I guess I better add an evening trip to DHS to my itinerary. Mind you I pretty tired of snow after another storm last night!!

Hi BKMETV:

The Osborne Lights are not to be missed at Hollywood Studios (MGM)!!! Approx. 5 million lights that are sync to Christmas music. We went a second time last year just to see them... A great time to view them is during Fantasmic.

We are headed back there from 11/28 till 12/06 and plan on seeing it twice.

Also, don't miss the Candlelight Processional and MVMCP.

Have a Great Trip,

Mark

cmysprkles911
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi BKMETV:

The Osborne Lights are not to be missed at Hollywood Studios (MGM)!!! Approx. 5 million lights that are sync to Christmas music. We went a second time last year just to see them... A great time to view them is during Fantasmic.

We are headed back there from 11/28 till 12/06 and plan on seeing it twice.

Also, don't miss the Candlelight Processional and MVMCP.

Have a Great Trip,

Mark

How were the crowds last year when you went? We tried to plan when its going to be less crowed?

ms*mountaineer
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
We're going Dec 3-9 too! Staying at POP!

bigmoonmullen
04-01-2008, 04:16 AM
How were the crowds last year when you went? We tried to plan when its going to be less crowed?

Hi:

We were there from 11/30/07 thru 12/08/07.

The crowds were not bad at all except for the MVMCP during the first parade (that was pretty crowded).

The Candlelight Processional had long lines that you can partially avoid by purchasing the candlelight processional dinner package which gets you in before people who did not purchase it. There are two separate lines... make sure you get in the correct one. This shows is also awesome, well worth going to.

The crowds for the Osborne Lights were not too bad... I won't say that it was not crowed but you could move around. We suspect it would be lighter during the Fantasmic show and that's when we are planning to go this year for at least one of our two nights viewing it. Plan for at least one hour to take it all in.

The crowds at the parks were not bad at all during the daytime. If you get to the Parks at opening most rides are less than a 5 minute wait. Exceptions EE and Soarin... need to Fast Pass those. Our group age range was from 10 to 50 so that will also help you understand that some rides we did not need to ride (i.e. Dumbo which does have long waits). The wait times do increase as you get closer to lunchtime and in the early afternoon... but it still was not bad since we had already completed the big rides.

Have a Great Trip and enjoy making those plans... we do... but realize that they do quickly change once you are there.

Mark

cmysprkles911
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey thanks for the great tips...:thumbsup2 I am sooo excited!:banana: Its feels like its soo far away!

bigmoonmullen
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey thanks for the great tips...:thumbsup2 I am sooo excited!:banana: Its feels like its soo far away!

Hi cmysprkles911:

Have a Great Trip... we will also be there from 11/28 thru 12/06 this year.

We are currently booked at OKW but hope to move to either Boardwalk or Beach Club. We stayed at AKL & WL last year... WOW!!! Both are nicely decked out for Christmas... I really enjoyed getting up early (5AM) to head down to the lobby to read my newspaper next to the huge Christmas tree while it's still peaceful... I then headed to the Gym/Spa at 6:00AM to put the work in... Too much food!!!

It may seem a long time from now but it will sneak up on you :)

Have a Great Memorable Trip,

Mark

cmysprkles911
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi cmysprkles911:

Have a Great Trip... we will also be there from 11/28 thru 12/06 this year.

We are currently booked at OKW but hope to move to either Boardwalk or Beach Club. We stayed at AKL & WL last year... WOW!!! Both are nicely decked out for Christmas... I really enjoyed getting up early (5AM) to head down to the lobby to read my newspaper next to the huge Christmas tree while it's still peaceful... I then headed to the Gym/Spa at 6:00AM to put the work in... Too much food!!!

It may seem a long time from now but it will sneak up on you :)

Have a Great Memorable Trip,

Mark

Hi:

Thanks so much I hope that you have a great trip too.

I stayed at WL in 2006 for my honeymoon and we fell in love with that resort. Last year I stayed at POFQ I was going to stay at the ALK but my travel agent told me about the free dining if I stayed at a mod. resort cant pass up something free. :woohoo:

This year I wanted to stay at the WL lodge again but my sister and I are planing a trip for her 30th birthday to Disney and of course she wants to stay at the WL..So I chose AKL for my trip this year. I have herd nothing but awesome things about this resort.

Silverbelle990
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey all!!!

we are going the 7th-14th in Dec. First time ever at this time and we are very excited. 250 day till we arrive. we are staying at the GF. First time there ever too. I hope this summer flys by......plus i have to make ADR's and plan our days. But i can't do that till JUne 1 i think. then make the ADR's on the 10th. that will be an early morning.

See you there.

By they way if you were going to the MVMCP would you go on a weekday? I think the thursday is the party. Is that better then the friday?:thumbsup2

cmysprkles911
04-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey all!!!

we are going the 7th-14th in Dec. First time ever at this time and we are very excited. 250 day till we arrive. we are staying at the GF. First time there ever too. I hope this summer flys by......plus i have to make ADR's and plan our days. But i can't do that till JUne 1 i think. then make the ADR's on the 10th. that will be an early morning.

See you there.

By they way if you were going to the MVMCP would you go on a weekday? I think the thursday is the party. Is that better then the friday?:thumbsup2

Wuhooooo.... Silverbelle990 :banana:
I have some of the places that I would like to eat but not 100% sure yet I keep changing my mind!

I am not sure what days we will be going to MVMCP yet. I usually like to go MK the last 2 days of our trip. So I might go Thursday or Friday right now I am thinking Thursday.. But in another day that might change!!:confused3

bigmoonmullen
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey all!!!

See you there.

Hi Silverbelle990:

We are going on Thursday night again this year. I think most MVMCP are probably going to be crowded... The first parade is more crowded than the second one is... Park seems to thin out some after the Fireworks... which is shortly after the first parade.... kids getting tired. I've read that some people think the best approach is to take in the rides during the first parade then see the fireworks and the second parade... Personally I'm not really there for the rides... I'm there for the atmosphere and excitement... but that's just me...

I don’t know if they sell different quantities of tickets for the various nights… I would think weekend nights would likely be more crowded since locals would be more likely to also attend… This is only me guessing.

Have a Great Time,

Mark

bigmoonmullen
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi:

Thanks so much I hope that you have a great trip too.

I stayed at WL in 2006 for my honeymoon and we fell in love with that resort. Last year I stayed at POFQ I was going to stay at the ALK but my travel agent told me about the free dining if I stayed at a mod. resort cant pass up something free. :woohoo:

This year I wanted to stay at the WL lodge again but my sister and I are planing a trip for her 30th birthday to Disney and of course she wants to stay at the WL..So I chose AKL for my trip this year. I have herd nothing but awesome things about this resort.

Hi cmysprkles911:

One last thing... Since you are staying at the AKL and if time and money permits... it's expensive... consider doing the Wanyama Safari (Sunset Safari). It's limited to around 10 per day... and they only do it three or four times a week. Need to get a ADR 180 days out by calling the AKL concerige desk. It’s cheaper if you are staying in a concierge room. You go on a 1-1/2 hr plus ride (slowly and stopping often) in an open vehicle through the three savannahs around the AKL and you get CLOSE to the animals… sometimes only a few feet away. Following the tour you feast at Jiko’s… and I do me feast… the chef comes out and explains each course – 4 appetizers… 3 entrees and sides… 4 deserts… and multiple glasses of wine… You just don’t get one appetizer, entrée and desert each… the table is brought out multiple platters for everyone to share… two hours later you waddle out of there… It was one of our highlights last year…

Mark

cmysprkles911
04-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi cmysprkles911:
Following the tour you feast at Jiko’s… and I do me feast… the chef comes out and explains each course – 4 appetizers… 3 entrees and sides… 4 deserts… and multiple glasses of wine… You just don’t get one appetizer, entrée and desert each… the table is brought out multiple platters for everyone to share… two hours later you waddle out of there… It was one of our highlights last year…

Mark

Wow thats awesome.. I will have to call and find out all about it. Thats a lot of food to eat.. I would have never known about it thats why I am in love with this fourm!

darlene9947
04-02-2008, 12:41 PM
We'll be staying at Bonnet Creek this year!! I've requested an EPCOT view. Hope we get it. We'll be there the 6th - 14th. I can't wait for June 1, to see the December calendar so I'll know what parks I'll be in on what days and make my ADRs!! We'll be doing MVMCP on the 9th.m I hope it's not one of the days CM get special pricing. We attended last year and it was sooo packed. I'm happy the CMs(and their families) get a break on the tickets, but I don't wanna party with them. I'm just sayin'!!!

cmysprkles911
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
We'll be staying at Bonnet Creek this year!! I've requested an EPCOT view. Hope we get it. We'll be there the 6th - 14th. I can't wait for June 1, to see the December calendar so I'll know what parks I'll be in on what days and make my ADRs!! We'll be doing MVMCP on the 9th.m I hope it's not one of the days CM get special pricing. We attended last year and it was sooo packed. I'm happy the CMs(and their families) get a break on the tickets, but I don't wanna party with them. I'm just sayin'!!!

Wuhooo!! :banana: So excitin! I cant cant wait till I can make my ADR's! I would not want to party with them either! I am hoping the crowds are not that bad..

dizzneebabe
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
WOO-HOO! We'll be there Dec.6th-13th too!!!! :banana: We'll be celebrating our friend's 40th and our son's 16th birthdays that week!:dance3:

We can't wait! Both DH and I have been to WDW many times, but never during Dec! Hoping it will be a very special trip!

Also like many OP's here, trying to narrow down our restaurants for those ADR's! So many choices!!!:cool2:

suzimar57
04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
sounds like we're going to have lots of company that 2nd week in december!

EverythingDisney
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
sounds like we're going to have lots of company that 2nd week in december!

I was thinking the same exact thing !! :confused3

cmysprkles911
04-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing !! :confused3

Is school out this time of year?

darlene9947
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't think so. It's still pretty early for schools. They usually leave out right before XMas. Although, you will see lots of kids there!! Hey, it's educational. They get to learn about holiday traditions of other countries in Epcot!!!

gabbyrosebud
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: We're going Dec. 6 - 14th too and staying at the WL. We've never been at Christmas time and are so excited! The planning is really hard to do. I'm not sure when to go to MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Osborne lights, Fantasmic, and etc. It's so hard because there is so much to see and do. Is anyone else a little crazy? :crazy:

cmysprkles911
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think so. It's still pretty early for schools. They usually leave out right before XMas. Although, you will see lots of kids there!! Hey, it's educational. They get to learn about holiday traditions of other countries in Epcot!!!

I wish my parents took me out of school!!! I dont have kids yet but I am sure I will to the same thing!

tazdev3225
04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
We went down on Dec 13 to the 18th in 2006. The holiday decorations are not to be missed but I will definitely go earlier next time. The schools down south were on Christmas vacation and the parks were very crowded. They start vacation about the time I was there. Make sure you go to the Grand Floridian to check out the Gingerbread House, it's truly worth the trip.

cmysprkles911
04-03-2008, 08:32 AM
We went down on Dec 13 to the 18th in 2006. The holiday decorations are not to be missed but I will definitely go earlier next time. The schools down south were on Christmas vacation and the parks were very crowded. They start vacation about the time I was there. Make sure you go to the Grand Floridian to check out the Gingerbread House, it's truly worth the trip.

Wow they get out early for Christmas break. I am hoping that the Thanksgiving crowd clears out the week after, but you never know. Hows the weather at this time of year? When we went last September is was SOOO HOT.

The GF is one thing I have to see when I am there this year, I have seen pictures on t.v but I am sure that its something that needs to be seen live.

dizzneebabe
04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Is school out this time of year?

No, our schools won't get out until the 19th. My son's 16th and our friend's 40th determined our dates. So we're taking them out a week--I know..BAD, BAD parents! :rolleyes: We will have a sophomore in HS and an 8th grader to take out. DD will only miss pre-school. Our friends will be taking out their 2 DD's--2nd and 4th grades.

We can't wait!!!!:yay:

cmysprkles911
04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
No, our schools won't get out until the 19th. My son's 16th and our friend's 40th determined our dates. So we're taking them out a week--I know..BAD, BAD parents! :rolleyes: We will have a sophomore in HS and an 8th grader to take out. DD will only miss pre-school. Our friends will be taking out their 2 DD's--2nd and 4th grades.

We can't wait!!!!:yay:

LOL... To be 16 and my parents take me to Disney thats awesome... I am sooooo excited myself. DH and I love it at WDW... I am hoping to have the most relaxing trip...

vdarrell
04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Just booked our plans for Dec.7th-13th staying at Movies resortpopcorn::
Went in Dec 04 and stayed at the Pop Culture resort loved it then and am looking forward to seeing it Christmas time again:santa: . We loved the Osborne Christmas.Now comes the hard part WAITING:hourglass

cmysprkles911
04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Just booked our plans for Dec.7th-13th staying at Movies resortpopcorn::
Went in Dec 04 and stayed at the Pop Culture resort loved it then and am looking forward to seeing it Christmas time again:santa: . We loved the Osborne Christmas.Now comes the hard part WAITING:hourglass

Hi there... I sooo cant wait to see the decorations at Disney... I have never seen it at Christmas time... The waiting is going to stink but be well worth it..

vdarrell
04-15-2008, 05:53 PM
:mickeyjum The more I get online to read this posts the more I want to book another trip just to hold me over till Christmas.

cmysprkles911
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
:mickeyjum The more I get online to read this posts the more I want to book another trip just to hold me over till Christmas.

I feel ya.. I am driving myself nuts..:crazy: