PDA

View Full Version : Do you obsessively clean before your trip?

ArielRae
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Are you one of those that have to have your house spotless before you leave on your vacation. I am. I can not come home to a filty house after staying in a clean hotel room all week. I also want to relax after my vacation and not have to go right back to cleaning.

What about you?
It must be clean.
Leave it dirty.
If theres time.

Robo
02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Do you obsessively clean before your trip??

Two showers and a sponge-bath will just about hold me for a 10-day trip.

:goodvibes

daisyduck123
02-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes...to the extent that I even change all the bedsheets right before we leave, so that we come home to clean sheets. :laundy:

I'm as bad as you with all of that!

stepnut
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Not only do I clean before I leave for vacation, I'll do laundry WHILE I'M STILL ON VACATION, so I don't have to clean OR do laundry when return home!

When I get home from a vacation, that's when my REAL vacation starts! Our vacations exhaust me!!

IHEARTNY
02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I am a messy traveller and so when I am in the hotel room I always everything all over the place and it's very messy so my room never seems clean. I'd rather think it's always a few weeks of messy and germs whenever I go. I clothes, food and souveniers everywhere in my room and it's a germ death trap at WDW. To fault of anyone who works there, it's just that kids are messy and disgusting so much so the I'd rather walk around bare foot in New York than MK. But I'm just a germaphobe and although some parents like me teach there kids some cleanliness, other let their kids pee in the corner of restaurants and likc poles, ew.

IHEARTNY
02-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Not only do I clean before I leave for vacation, I'll do laundry WHILE I'M STILL ON VACATION, so I don't have to clean OR do laundry when return home!

When I get home from a vacation, that's when my REAL vacation starts! Our vacations exhaust me!!

I'm all about the clean laundry too! I don't mind spending an extra few hours doing my laundry before I leave when all I want to do is rest when I get home...

mistydoodles
02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Two showers and a sponge-bath will just about hold me for a 10-day trip.

:rotfl:

kim532
02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I think walking in the door from traveling to a clean house is the best. It makes you realize that Disney is great, but there's no place like home (is that blasphemy here to say that?).

mickeyluv'r
02-10-2008, 02:30 PM
None of the above. I like to have the house more or less in order, but I'm not fanatical about it.

I really try to avoid doing laundry on vacation. Laundry always comes out of the suitcase a little wrinkled anyhow, so even if I did wash it, I'd probably wash it again 'cause it's easier than ironing.

PoohsFan1
02-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes...to the extent that I even change all the bedsheets right before we leave, so that we come home to clean sheets. :laundy:

I too do ALL the laundry right before I leave. I have been known to have my kids campout on the floor the night before we leave just so that their beds and sheets will be nice and clean for when we come back.

daisyduck123
02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I have been known to have my kids campout on the floor the night before we leave just so that their beds and sheets will be nice and clean for when we come back.

I suggested that once & DH thought I was nuts.

Wait til I show him your post!

helenk
02-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I won't say that I obsessively clean, but I do clean before I go. There is just something relaxing about coming home to a clean house...kind of strange I guess but very reassuring.

Angel Ariel
02-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I try to clean as much as I possibly can before we go away- even if it's just for a weekend. I hate coming back to a messy house! It always seems more stressful, to me, to come back to that- the cleaner it is when we return, the easier I can relax :)

Ilovefozzie
02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll make sure the kitchen is clean and all the possibly expiring stuff is out of the fridge. There is nothing worse than coming home to curdled milk. :scared1: And I will make sure that most of our things are picked up, but no. I don't stress about a super clean house. It will still be there when I get home.

:lmao: Of course, I have a couple plaques up on my walls.
1. Come in, sit down, relax. My house doesn't always look like this, sometimes it's even worse.
2. A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

LOL Can you tell what kind of a housekeeper I am???

kaybird
02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I see us messies are in the minority. Don't spend an overabundance of cleaning on a normal basis, before the trip I am busy making tshirts and trip planning, lucky to have an empty bed when we get back!:rolleyes:

B.B. Sots
02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Nothing worse then coming home to a messy house.. I have enough to get done after the trip and to add cleaning the house to the 'honey-do' list would probably put me over the edge.. :scared:

BamaFan121s
02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, I want my house spotless before we leave. That way I can relax and not have to worry about doing it when I get home. Plus, I'm one of those people who doesn't want anyone over unless the house is clean and will run around hiding my mess if I get any surprise visits. When we are out of town, we have someone coming in and out of our house to take care of our dogs, so I don't want them to walk into a mess either. :rolleyes:

eemmie1
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I always say my house is at it's cleanest while I am on vacation.

silverarrowknits
02-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I take the garbage out, wash all the dirty dishes, and run out the door. Granted, I am usually only gone for a weekend, so the dirt doesn't really accumulate.

Dallas_Lady
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I also always clean the house from top to bottom before going on vacation. I am always pooped after coming home from Disney, and it is so nice to crash in a nice clean house :goodvibes It stresses me out if I come home to a dirty house.

jcc0621
02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I clean the house top to bottom. Change the sheets, dust, vaccuum, the bathrooms, etc. I also do all the laundry before we leave (stuff we are not taking) I refuse to so laundry while on vacation, but I seperate the laundry into loads as we are packing to go home and the suitcases go right to the laundry room and I start washing as soon as we get home. It works for me.

BabyPiglet
02-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Nah. My grandma house-sits while we are gone so there's really no point cleaning it.

And besides, after two weeks of Disney when we come home we feel like we don't even live here anyways. It's such a weird feeling.

Oh, and we do laundry on vacation.

b-1
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
invariably though, my DH decides it would be a perfect time to get some renovations done in the house. One year we had hard wood floors installed while we were away so the night before we left we moved everything (including the fridge and stove) off of the main floor. Another time we had a new furnace and duct work put in the whole house (very messy). I always have good intentions but I am usually the last to know what will happen while we are away.

Connor&Cody'sMom
02-10-2008, 06:42 PM
This thread made me smile; I thought I was the only one who went into a cleaning frenzy before my Disney trips. In fact, the last two trips, I never went to bed the night before our departure (not that I would have been able to sleep anyway, exited about the trip). I clean, wash all the laundry, pay all the bills due during the trip, clean out the fridge, make sure all the pet-sitters know what to do, go over my packing list again, etc. I guess I just love coming home to a clean house. This way, the only thing I must do when I return is grocery shop and do the vacation laundry.

mom2taylorandemily
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh yes, I can't stand to come home to a dirty house. It has to be clean and hopefully, I won't have too much laundry when I get home.

rentayenta
02-10-2008, 07:15 PM
:faint: The thought of coming home to a dirty house would bug me to no end. I have to clean before I go. :cool1:

BirdsOfPreyDave
02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Leaving Disney is always depressing. Having to return to reality is even worse if the house is a mess when you get home.

ArielRae
02-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Looks like we have some very clean disers! :thumbsup2

letthewookiewin
02-11-2008, 06:24 AM

I'm with you on that one. There is nothing better than taking a shower as soon as you get home, and slipping into some clean sheets after a WDW or any vacation.

When we go on vacation my mother in law stops by our house to let our dog out to go potty, and feed and water him. I just couldn't have her coming into our home to do that if it were dirty.

Besides, coming home from WDW is depressing enough. Coming home to a dirty house would just make it worse. :lmao: So for me having a clean house before we go, is just part of the whole planning and packing ritual.

karmalicousss
02-11-2008, 06:26 AM
it does have to be clean before you leave because the person who is looking after the pets and the house will want it to be clean.

mb168
02-11-2008, 06:36 AM
We don't obsess but since our house has been for sale we leave it close to presentable whenever we leave. Fortunately we did this last weekend when we did a quick trip to WDW because we had a showing before we got home the last day.

SplashMountainMama
02-11-2008, 06:52 AM
I'll make sure the kitchen is clean and all the possibly expiring stuff is out of the fridge. There is nothing worse than coming home to curdled milk. :scared1: And I will make sure that most of our things are picked up, but no. I don't stress about a super clean house. It will still be there when I get home.

:lmao: Of course, I have a couple plaques up on my walls.
1. Come in, sit down, relax. My house doesn't always look like this, sometimes it's even worse.
2. A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

LOL Can you tell what kind of a housekeeper I am???

I don't stress about a super clean house ever. Too many real things to stress about IMO. Sounds like I could use a couple of plaques like yours!:rotfl:

Disneyof3
02-11-2008, 07:49 AM

WOW My husband should read this thread... He thinks I'am nuts to clean the house before we leave and change the bedsheets. His comment always is MUST CLEAN THE HOUSE IN CASE THE BURGULARS COME IN AND THEY SEE A MESSY HOUSE.... I hate leaveing my house a mess and then when I come home it is the first thing I have to see. This way when I come home it is all clean except for the 12 loads of laundry I will have to do from the vacation.

shellybaxter
02-11-2008, 07:59 AM
We spend a little time doing things like throwing out food in the fridge that will spoil, doing dishes and taking the garbage, but we have a housekeeper who comes in once a week. She always comes once while we are gone so no matter how messy everything is when we leave its nice and clean when we come home - Yay!!!

RllngRckBrw
02-11-2008, 09:08 AM
My house must be clean because I dive right back into reality when I return from my trip. I usually return late at night from vacation and am off to work first thing in the morning. It is nice to not have to worry about cleaning the house, as you concern yourself with laundry, and other stuff.

jlr1996
02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I am so glad that I found this post. I really thought I was a nut for cleaning and doing all the laundry before we leave for vacation. I am so glad I am not alone. :banana:

Manda
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I make sure I'm not leaving any dirty dishes and I make sure the cat box is scooped. Other than that, it's not any cleaner than it is any other day. :thumbsup2

Wit
02-11-2008, 09:27 AM
We'll be having a housesitter for our 2 week trip. A friend will stay there, take care of the pets and pool.(The pool is the big draw for our friends to house sit LOL) We'll probably STOCK the fridge before we leave! The house is always clean anyway, my live in Mum and I are OCD when it comes to cleaning and laundry. However, we'll probably need to clean the day of our return, just because the sitters won't have OCD.

Mom_of_3_Pirates
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Are you one of those that have to have your house spotless before you leave on your vacation. I am. I can not come home to a filty house after staying in a clean hotel room all week. I also want to relax after my vacation and not have to go right back to cleaning.

What about you?
It must be clean.
Leave it dirty.
If theres time.

My husband thinks I'm crazy that I clean before I leave. But, I hate to come home to a dirty house. I just got off vacation and don't feel like doing anything! I'll even stay up late the night before we leave just to make sure everything is clean.

a Really Bad Egg
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Are you one of those that have to have your house spotless before you leave on your vacation.

On behalf of my DW, I voted 'It must be clean'.

It is a great feeling to come home to a spotless home.

:thumbsup2

ArielRae
02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
:thumbsup2

Claire L
02-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Yes we have to clean quite well as we have house sitters to look after the cats :)

Claire ;)

BirdsOfPreyDave
02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
This way when I come home it is all clean except for the 12 loads of laundry I will have to do from the vacation.One of the things I really love about staying at a DVC resort is the free laundry. We usually stay in a studio, which doesn't have a washer and dryer in the room, but the laundry rooms are right next to the pools. I'll throw a few loads in whenever we go to the pool. It doesn't take any time away from the vacation because we're down at the pool anyway , means I don't have to pack as much for the trip (which is good with the new enforcement of suitcase weight by the airlines), and I can just unpack and put things away when we get home.

Alex&Evan'sMom
02-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes!! I'm glad I'm not the only obsessive one. The horror of returning to a dirty house!:eek:

karmalicousss
02-15-2008, 09:47 AM
i clean

MontanaZoo
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I clean before every trip but I am don't obsessively clean when I'm at home :) It works great if everyone in the house is going with you but my brother lives with me and he's staying....I'll clean anyway though. My mom will be taking care of my dog (I don't trust my brother to do it) and she sleeps in my bed while I'm gone to make the dog more comfortable. :laughing: If I don't clean, SHE will and that to me seems worse like I can't take care of my house, I guess...

Did I mention she also brings her own towels? Who does that? Really mine are fine! New and clean and in the linen closet!

CoachBagFanatic
02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I too do ALL the laundry right before I leave. I have been known to have my kids campout on the floor the night before we leave just so that their beds and sheets will be nice and clean for when we come back.

This is too funny as I thought I was the only one that made everyone campout the night before so the sheets are clean when we get home.:lmao: My house is cleaned from top to bottom the day before we leave. I even do the remaining laundry the morning we leave so there is nothing left to do when we get home. I will also do some laundry on vacation while the boys are out and about.

letthewookiewin
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Something that I didn't put in my last post was that it's not only me that cleans the house before we go. Normally we fly out at the 6:30-ish flight on the 1st day of our trip. 2 days before our trip, we let our DS's stay up really late. Then the day before our trip we wake them up early. Everyone in the helps clean. Especially this year, since we moved into a home twice the size of the home we were living in at the time of our last trip. Our thinking is that even though they are really excited about the trip, we will get them really tired and they will go to bed. Hopefully they will get some sleep before their 3-3:30 am wake up call the morning we leave.
Everyone will have a certain area to clean and some places in the home will be a joint project. The DS's bedroom, playroom, and bathroom will be on them. My DH and I will take our bedroom and bathroom. My DH will take his office and I will take my fabric room (extra bedroom). Every other room in the house will be a joint effort. Also, I make sure my car is spotless. I don't know why, but I just can't stand he thought of my car being dirty while it sits at the airport.

Chicago262
02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm so glad I'm not alone! I've always felt that we deserve to come home to a sparkling clean house. It's sad enough that we have to come back to reality. I'm more relaxed when the house is spotless so at least I have that to look forward to.

ArielRae
02-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Never would have thought about camping out before you leave.
Might be a good idea to do for our next trip.
Not a thing would be out of place or dirty. LOL

ArielRae
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
popcorn::

EeyoreFan1
02-20-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm so glad I'm not alone! I've always felt that we deserve to come home to a sparkling clean house. It's sad enough that we have to come back to reality. I'm more relaxed when the house is spotless so at least I have that to look forward to.

I completely agree. My room is messy half of the time, but coming home from WDW I want it SPOTLESS. (So I can display my souveneirs of course!) :goodvibes

kimluvswdw
02-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I try to clean it pretty good. We have a house sitter that stays while we are gone and I like to have it tidy.

ArielRae
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Puget Peach
09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I like to come home to a clean and orderly house. This trip I am also going to clean (disinfect) on vacation. I just read a trip report where a child was diagnosed by the Doc on call at Coronado Springs with strep throat, and yet the mom took him into the parks for "a few hours" each day for the duration of their trip. Geeze Louise!!! I packed a small bottle of hand sanitizer, but I'm buying a purse pack of disinfecting wipes for each day I'm in the parks and wiping down everything plus seriously thinking about disposable gloves for the attractions with hand rails. So if some of you came back from WDW in August with strep... Now you know!