PDA

View Full Version : Cash or/& Credit Cards ?

bscs
02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring. We plan on paying a lot of the trip with credit cards since we are splitting the cost with my parents and it would be easier for us to charge things then tell them how much they
need to help us pay for. But I know cash will be needed at some points. So how much cash do you think a family of 4 for 9 nights needs. Is there any place that doesn't take credit cards?
Condo (cash they charge more with cc)
Van rental (cc)
Gas (cc)
Food (both)
attractions/entertainment (both)
shopping (both)

What am I missing?:confused3

dioxide45
02-09-2008, 09:26 PM
We went as a group of three for seven days and only took $100 cash. Almost all concessions within the parks take CC as well as all the stores. Only a couple of the carts at the parks may not take CC. We did spend some cash when we could have used a CC instead. Obviosly you will need enough to pay for your condo, but other than that plastic can be used just about everwhere. I don't know about parking at the parks, but if you are staying onsite or have AP's that won't be an issue.

sympatico
02-09-2008, 10:14 PM
We take 4 or 5 hundred for the two of us for about 10 days. Usually only use credit card for big meals, shopping at major stores and gas. Don't like to use it at convenience stores or souvenier stores. Usually pay cash for parking, snacks in the parks, fast food etc.

dougsmom98
02-10-2008, 06:17 AM
We usually bring $600 for 6 of us. Even though most vendors at the park will take cc, we usually pay cash for snacks and parking. It is just a little quicker that way. We use our debt card a lot at the grocery stores and then if we feel like we need more cash, we get cash back.

swilshire
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
We went in December with a couple of hundred dollars in cash and brought nearly all of it back. I prefer to charge everything to get the Marriott points and to avoid dragging out real money. Other than a fast food meal or two on the highway and parking at Disney, I can't really remember paying cash for anything.

Sheila

JB2K
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I started a discussion on saving money with ATMs at Disney (on the Budget Board), which compelled me to chime-in...

By all means, if you have a credit card, or a MC/Visa-branded debit card, take it and use it! Many of these cards carry with them some degree of protection/replacement, should your wallet be lost or stolen (if you lose a roll of cash, you're pretty much out of luck).

Normally, I would use a credit/debit card, and carry no more than $100 in currency (cash or Disney Dollars) for the trip.

However, for those who insist on not using their plastic at Disney, get traveler's checks. In many cases, they can be had for near nothing/free, and in all cases, they are very easy to replace!

MattM
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring. We plan on paying a lot of the trip with credit cards since we are splitting the cost with my parents and it would be easier for us to charge things then tell them how much they
need to help us pay for. But I know cash will be needed at some points. So how much cash do you think a family of 4 for 9 nights needs. Is there any place that doesn't take credit cards?
Condo (cash they charge more with cc)
Van rental (cc)
Gas (cc)
Food (both)
attractions/entertainment (both)
shopping (both)

What am I missing?:confused3

AS a devout Dave Ramsey fan, Im going to tell you not to pay ANY of it on credit card. PAY IN CASH!!

stepnut
02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I try to carry as little cash as possible. I charge everything I can, but we're also in the habit of paying off our credit card balance every month, without fail.

One day while at MK with my two kids (husband was at the condo, sick in bed, poor guy...) I think I had $20 in cash with me. I think the only thing I used it for were Mickey bars at one of the carts. Everything else was charged...meals, parking, souveniers, photos...

I just don't like to carry cash. It runs through my fingers like water.

*~Ariel~*
02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
If you find that you often shop at DTD with a credit card, you might want to look into the Disney Visa card. It has a high rate if you don't pay the bill on time, but if this isn't a concern, you will be earning Disney Reward dollars, plus at the World of Disney, you will also receive a discount (10%, i think!)