PDA

View Full Version : Doctor at DLH

disneymommabear
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I am wondering if any of you know anything about a Doctor on call at the resort hotels. My dad is quite ill, and although he has the okay from his doctors to travel, my mom is a little paranoid and was wondering if there is a doctor available. Also, do you know of the price for a call!? TIA

doombuggy
02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I doubt there is one, but the front desk could probably give you some names if needed. I am not sure if the DIS sister site, wdwinfo.com has any info on this - you might want to check. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Rhonna
02-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I was pretty sick by the time we got to DLH. (We had been traveling elsewhere before that.) I had a sinus infection. We didn't have transportation and I called the front desk to ask if there was a doctor or nurse available. (The first CM said they couldn't help me. I was sure there must be at least some information about local places so I called back and the next CM referred me to someone at the hotel who could answer my question.)

They do not employ a doctor at the hotel. They had me talk to a nurse they employ at DLH. This was all done over the phone, the DLH nurse did NOT see me in person, nor offer to.

The nurse gave me the phone number that they recommend to reach a doctor who will do a "house" call to your room. It was 1-800-physician or something like that. I described my symptoms and what I thought it was. The doctor came in about an hour or more and brought medication that would work for me. The front desk called our room and said: Dr. so-and-so is here, can we send him up?" and then he came to our room.

Worked out well but since my insurance isn't the greatest, it wasn't covered. I can't remember exactly but it was close to $300, including his visit and 10 days of antibiotics and 5 days of a steroid.

Very frustrating to spend so much but it sure made a difference since I started feeling better day by day.

DisneySuiteFreak
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I am wondering if any of you know anything about a Doctor on call at the resort hotels. My dad is quite ill, and although he has the okay from his doctors to travel, my mom is a little paranoid and was wondering if there is a doctor available. Also, do you know of the price for a call!? TIA

Don't know about the DLR hotels, but when my son became really ill :sick: (projectile vomiting, sinus infection, high fever; the works!:scared1: ) one year while staying at Hojo Anaheim, we called down to the front desk and asked specifically if they could refer us to a 'Doctor on Call' type of service and they were able to give us the number of one. I checked the Yellow pages and there were a bunch listed in there as well, but I preferred having the hotel referrel since I figured they probably had experience referring them. We called & described symptoms. The Doctor came, checked out our son, gave us a bottle of antibiotics, gave him an antibiotic shot so he started feeling better right away:yay: , and gave us a bill for about $300. This was around 2005 or so...
Our insurance was able to reimburse us after our return home. Even for $300, I would gladly pay it rather then 1) have our son be miserably ill, 2)have to wait around an emergency room for hours on end, and 3) potentially have his/our vacation ruined by illness.

HydroGuy
02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
When we were at DLR in 2005 we had 4 (count 'em, 4) ear infections. We had a doc come to our hotel room at the BWPPI. Huge time saver.

The medical service we used and now recommend is: HouseCall Physicians, (800) 362-7911. Their website is www.housecallphysicians.org (http://www.housecallphysicians.org/).

CoolPool
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Talk to the front desk. They have a nurse practitioner on staff. She helps as best she can (bet she sees a lot of blisters in a day) but she has a list of emergency rooms, doctors on call, and pharmacies in the area.

Last week my daughter became ill at the GCH. She came to our room not 10 minutes after the call. I think the hotel did a marvelous job helping us out!

Alex2kMommy
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
It's a wonderful service provided by Disney, and is tucked around the side (toward Tomorrowland) of the Plaza Inn.

I went in for a cut on my finger that was bleeding, and the nurse was very helpful, professional, and very nice! He gave me antibiotic ointment and a bandaid for the cut, and a spare set for later. :)

The room had a small waiting area, but also a bathroom, beds and I think privacy curtains, for more serious ailments than mine. I was very impressed!

mindylovesmickey
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
This is great info to have!! Thanks for posting!!