PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou: Monte Cristo Sandwich?

phanomouse
02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
So it's been about a year since I have been back to DL and I was just looking at a menu for the Blue Bayou and their Monte Cristo sandwich is not on the menu. Did they remove it from the Blue Bayou menu or is this a mistake. I know I can get one at Cafe Orleans but the atmosphere just isn't there.

Lynzer Torte
02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
It's only on the lunch menu.
http://www.allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_bay.htm
:)

disneegrl4eva
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
yes that is true but Cafe Orleans which is caty corner to POTC exit serves it for lunch and dinner and its cheaper than getting it at BB:goodvibes

actionvaughn
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I'd like to add that some how the Monte Cristo is way better at Cafe Orleans.. I love it there and had it the other day at Blue Bayou and got sick afterwards. :crazy2:

tlovesdis
02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I had the Monte Cristo at the BB in October and it was just plain gross! The meat in the sandwich was cheap-o turkey deli meat and the batter was so thick and greasy I couldn't even eat it. Plus it is now $22! What a rip off!

MommyWithDreams
02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd like to add that some how the Monte Cristo is way better at Cafe Orleans.. I love it there and had it the other day at Blue Bayou and got sick afterwards. :crazy2:

I agree....I didn't care for it at BB either. I gave it another try at Cafe Orleans and it was so much better. I'm trying to decide what to get at BB this time.....I'd be totally happy if they just brought me just one HUGE wedge salad, I love that thing! I'm maybe leaning towards the chicken this time, but would rather just have the salad if they'd do it.

mindylovesmickey
02-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I've heard this thing is also called "Heart Attack on a Plate", so what exactly is it? And what is it made out of?

MommyWithDreams
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I've heard this thing is also called "Heart Attack on a Plate", so what exactly is it? And what is it made out of?

here ya go...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Nelliez/IMG_1333.jpg

Macy Bear
02-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Lol, my mother loves that sandwhich. I think it's alright... not that great though.

mindylovesmickey
02-04-2008, 07:51 PM
here ya go...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Nelliez/IMG_1333.jpg

So, it's deep fried bread stuff, is it sweet? Is there mayo in it.

MommyWithDreams
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
So, it's deep fried bread stuff, is it sweet? Is there mayo in it.

There's no mayo...this is how they list it on the menu at Blue Bayou.

Le Special de Monte Cristo
Turkey, ham and Swiss cheese in a battered egg bread, lightly fried to a golden brown
$21.99

natenapril
02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I had the Monte Cristo at the BB in October and it was just plain gross! The meat in the sandwich was cheap-o turkey deli meat and the batter was so thick and greasy I couldn't even eat it. Plus it is now $22! What a rip off!

UGH! I agree. I did not think it was worth the $22 for sure:crazy2:

:sick: :sick: :sick: :scared:

DLR29
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Mommywithdreams, you actually made my mouth water with that delicious looking picture. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. :cloud9:

actionvaughn
02-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Don't give up on it completely guys! Try it at Cafe Orleans for $7 less.. :thumbsup2

tink2dw
02-05-2008, 04:13 AM
While we were in San Diego we went to the Studio Diner[we saw it on the Food Network, "Drive Ins, Diners, and Dives",and looked up on google]

Dd ordered their Monte Cristo. It was really good it was like a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich collided with your french toast! Dd said it was awesome. The batter was really crunchy and thick and the inside was light and melty. The bread was just right with enough crunch not to be soggy but fluffy enough to still be bread. The ham and turkey was fresh and it was cut into triangular pieces. The batter coated the entire triangle.... it was just really really really good! Definitely worth the price. They had the powdered sugar sprinkled hardily (but not too much) over the sandwiches and raspberry jam on the side.
It was Only $9.95!!
here is a menu Pic http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/corvettediner/005.jpg

Judy from Boise
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
yup, heart attack on a plate !

pixiewings71
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Or as I call it, a little bite of heaven. LOL I really love that sandwich, it's so good. I have to be in the mood but when I am....Oh.My.God! LOL And yes, it a heart attack on a plate but I'll take my chances for the few times I get to eat it. LOL

disneegrl4eva
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
yep I actually have the recipe for it and have made it at home...really easy...

Disneyluvr
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
yep I actually have the recipe for it and have made it at home...really easy...

Do share please :lovestruc

disneegrl4eva
02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Do share please :lovestruc

BLUE BAYOU MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH

BATTER:

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. water
1 egg

SANDWICH:

1 oz. sliced white turkey
1 oz. sliced Swiss cheese
1 oz. sliced ham
2 slices white bread
2 tsp. raspberry preserves

To make batter sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Add water to beaten egg and then to flour mixture. Mix well and then set aside.
To make sandwich use 1 slice of turkey, Swiss cheese and ham on 2 pieces of white bread. Then cut into quarters using toothpicks to hold sandwich together. Dip sandwiches in egg batter completely and deep fry at 360 degree oil until golden brown. Remove toothpicks and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with raspberry jam....

**place contents of raspberry jam into a pan and place on low heat stirring occasionally until it becomes a sauce...

ter-moo
02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I LOVE the Monte Cristo. Yes, they upped the price, but it now comes with the wedge salad AND veggies AND these heavenly scalloped potatoes! If you split it with someone, it's just the right amount of food.:thumbsup2

tink2dw
02-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Awe That is the difference! The one at the Studio was entirely wrapped in batter!! No sliced Bread.

MommytoaSweetie
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
My DH would love to know that there's a Monte Cristo at DL! He LOVES the one at Bennigan's, but they closed the Bennigan's near us and he can't get it anymore. I thought a bite of it was yummy, and enough for me. :) They were WAY cheaper than $22 though, that's for sure! ;)

VegasMike21
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
If you want to try a Monte Cristo at a fraction of the cost go over to Millie's across from Disney, they have one for $9.99 I believe and it's really really good.

nunzia
02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I have to have the BB Monte Cristo..it's tradition. I first had it way back ..I need to find my mini BB menu from back then and see the price. It's pretty huge, so I'm hoping my daughter will share it with me. It isn't so much the food..it's the BB atmosphere and the memory aspect.
May can't come fast enough for our Blue Bayou lunch :)

AmericanItGirl
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I LOVE the Monte Cristo. Yes, they upped the price, but it now comes with the wedge salad AND veggies AND these heavenly scalloped potatoes! If you split it with someone, it's just the right amount of food.:thumbsup2

It's so much food, esp if you pay the split plate fee that I can't imagine not sharing one.

Disneyluvr
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Oh thanks. I am taking my Girl Scout troop to DL in July and we are going to be having a planning party over spring break and it will be fun to make DL foods for them to eat while we discuss everything Disney!

Katie0677
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
While we were in San Diego we went to the Studio Diner[we saw it on the Food Network, "Drive Ins, Diners, and Dives",and looked up on google]

Dd ordered their Monte Cristo. It was really good it was like a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich collided with your french toast! Dd said it was awesome. The batter was really crunchy and thick and the inside was light and melty. The bread was just right with enough crunch not to be soggy but fluffy enough to still be bread. The ham and turkey was fresh and it was cut into triangular pieces. The batter coated the entire triangle.... it was just really really really good! Definitely worth the price. They had the powdered sugar sprinkled hardily (but not too much) over the sandwiches and raspberry jam on the side.
It was Only $9.95!!
here is a menu Pic http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/corvettediner/005.jpg

that is really funny. i saw the same episode, and i really want to try that place when we go to dl/san diego in a couple weeks. was the rest of the food good as well?? tia!
Katie

eatmypixiedust
02-07-2008, 06:11 PM
My bf likes the Monte Cristo at BB but not the one at Cafe New Orleans. :confused3

nunzia
02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
OK..so I found my little Blue Bayou menu from when I was a kid. Get this...the Monte Cristo was $2.25!! Holy cow..that's an increase of what...1,000 percent?
The most expensive thing on the menu was Filet with a Madeira sauce...$4.25
Their soups were 50 cents a bowl..or served in a cup with entree 30 cents.. Cup of coffee...20 cents!! (Hills Brtohers :) ) A Coke or Pepsi (wow..you could choose either) was 25 cents.

BTW..why on earth would they serve scalloped potatoes with the Monte Cristo...waaaaaaay too much starch.
I don't think I want to pay the split plate fee..can't my daughter and I just share a plate? Really want room for dessert this time.

DisneySuiteFreak
02-08-2008, 08:39 AM
OK..so I found my little Blue Bayou menu from when I was a kid. Get this...the Monte Cristo was $2.25!! Holy cow..that's an increase of what...1,000 percent?
The most expensive thing on the menu was Filet with a Madeira sauce...$4.25
Their soups were 50 cents a bowl..or served in a cup with entree 30 cents.. Cup of coffee...20 cents!! (Hills Brtohers :) ) A Coke or Pepsi (wow..you could choose either) was 25 cents.

BTW..why on earth would they serve scalloped potatoes with the Monte Cristo...waaaaaaay too much starch.
I don't think I want to pay the split plate fee..can't my daughter and I just share a plate? Really want room for dessert this time.

:lmao: No offense, but how long ago was that menu from? :rotfl:
I agree the Monte Cristo w/ scallopped potatoes = way too much starch and fat. :eek: Hence the nickname Heart attack on a plate!:rotfl2: I took a bite of my son's friends MC, and it was okay. I don't think I would order it. It's probably 4000 calories just for the MC, not including the potatoes. :scared1:
Re: split plate fee, I don't think they even give you a choice. When I split lunch w/ my son, they didn't even tell me they charge the SP fee, much less ask if I wanted to pay it; they assume you know because it's right there on the menu. :idea: (I'm guessing...)

AmericanItGirl
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
The split plate fee is there because then you each get your own full serving of sides and your own appetizer. It makes sense that they wouldn't give you an extra cup of soup and extra full servings of sides for free. No place does that these days.

nunzia
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
:lmao: No offense, but how long ago was that menu from? :rotfl:
I agree the Monte Cristo w/ scallopped potatoes = way too much starch and fat. :eek: Hence the nickname Heart attack on a plate!:rotfl2: I took a bite of my son's friends MC, and it was okay. I don't think I would order it. It's probably 4000 calories just for the MC, not including the potatoes. :scared1:
Re: split plate fee, I don't think they even give you a choice. When I split lunch w/ my son, they didn't even tell me they charge the SP fee, much less ask if I wanted to pay it; they assume you know because it's right there on the menu. :idea: (I'm guessing...)

I can't remember when NOS opened..I went when I was little in 63 and 67..so one of those times.
I thought we would just not order anything for my daughter "Nothing for me thanks..." then we could share that way. We'll see..no big deal to pay the split fee. I really want to try the Key Lime pie..anyone have it?

nunzia
02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
The split plate fee is there because then you each get your own full serving of sides and your own appetizer. It makes sense that they wouldn't give you an extra cup of soup and extra full servings of sides for free. No place does that these days.

Well that certainly makes sense..still sounds like waaay too much food that way.

tink2dw
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
that is really funny. i saw the same episode, and i really want to try that place when we go to dl/san diego in a couple weeks. was the rest of the food good as well?? tia!
Katie

Dh had Biscuits and Gravy - it has kielbasa sausage cut into it, instead of country sausage or link sausage. Which tasted odd with the links he had. It was barely okay.

Dd had the to Die for Monte Cristo sandwich.

Don't get the Pot Roast Dinner it didn't sit well, which could just be All me, but it was VERY greasy.

Stick to what you know for Breakfast and Lunch and I think you will enjoy the Studio.
Which sets next to a real working studio!! Be sure to out on the porch area to see the "Monster" and read about him and other movie posters. When we pulled up near the handicapped parking, you could see a helicopter that was sitting precariously on two steel, office building, beams. It was part of the movie that they are filming!

Oh and you can just google seach for , The Studio, San Diego, CA to get the address and directions!!