PDA

View Full Version : new job, time off??

sunny_stace
02-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone!
I just started a new job this week which is going really well! However, we are short staffed at the moment so people are stressed about having enough people around all the time. Now, I know I'm considering this pretty early but DBFF and I have been hoping to go to WDW for the first week of December and she wants to go and book this week. How should I got about asking for time off already? I know alot is going to change by December (infact I should have already moved up the ranks a little :goodvibes ) and I would certainly be asking more than enough in advance but I just feel kind of strange! Do you think we should cut our trip shorter (we were thinking 8 days)?? Any advice anyone has would be great! This is a completely new situation for me! Thanks all!:)

sunny_stace
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
bump:confused3

CanadianGuy
02-04-2008, 10:50 AM
One way is to approach it exactly as you have here..

"I know I'm new but I wanted to ask about this as early as possible and hopefully we can work something out. I've been planning a trip in December.. but before I commit to anything, I wanted to discuss it with you."

pepe of ohio
02-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I switched jobs and knew we were headed to Disney about 7 months into the job. during the interview, I told the boss that we had a Disney vacation booked already and if that would be a problem taking the time off, without pay naturally, and he said, "no problem, go and enjoy".

I think stating things before hand, being up front and honest, gets the better results. Approach him, state that you know you're new, business is fast right now but if he could see his way clear to give you some time off for a Disney trip basically because you have to book way in advance. Can't hurt to ask, all he can do is say, yes or no.

seashoreCM
02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Early December is just on the border about asking for time off; normally it is a bad idea to ask for time off to take place less than 9 months after starting a new job.

It is OK to ask about the specific dates of time off as part of pre-acceptance negotiation but to abide by the company's decision if you do accept the job.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

KristinAnne
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I tend to agree about mentioning it ahead of time. My dh is going to be starting a new job in 2 weeks and we have a trip to Disney planned in June. He was nervous because we'll be going at the start of their busiest time. After his interview went well, he called back with some references and asked right then about the trip. They were perfectly fine with it.