PDA

View Full Version : What is pin trading???

karters*mom
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I see a lot of posts relating to pin trading..what is that?
Is is something a 7 years old should do?

Secondgradememories
02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Pin trading is addicting, that is what it is! Cast members have lanyards full of pins that you can trade for official Disney pins you purchase. Many people get them from eBay before their trips, being sure to get authentic Disney pins, others won't trade in the parks, and then trade for favorites from Cast members. You can also buy lanyards with "starter sets" on them at the hotels and parks and use those to trade. My DD and DS have loved doing it since they were 4 years old. Now DS is 13 and he still gets into it. There are many more complete description on the boards, do a search and you'll find lots of information. Our family loves it!

dairyqueenmom
02-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Pin trading is one of our favorite things to do at Disney. It has replaced the autograph seeking my kids did when they were little. Buy a lanyard with some trading pins, go to any park, hotel, gift shop and find a cast member wearing a lanyard. Ask to see their pins, they will be happy to show you. If you see a pin on their lanyard you like, take a pin off your lanyard and trade. They have to trade with you no questions asked. The only rule is they can not trade a pin from you if they have that pin on their lanyard. The cast members who have green lanyards on can only trade with children.

Be prepared to have the money fly out of your pocket if you get hooked on trading. We have been trading for years and my kids are hooked, and so am I. The first trip we purchase the sets in the gift shops, they are expensive. The sets run about $25-50, depending on how many pins are in the pack. On average you will spend $5-$6 per trading pin. My girls could burn through 10 pins per day.

What happens is the cast members have pins that are cast member exclusives and you can only get them by trading with a cast member. My girls would trade all there pins for cast member pins and want more. They are a bit obsessive, they will run down cast members to look at pins. We trade pins like some people get autographs.

I now buy pins on ebay and buy lots of 10-20pins at a time. I try and make sure I don't get scrappers, and they are authentic Disney trading pins. So far I have had no problem trading the pins in the parks that I have bought on ebay. I can get pins on ebay for $2-$3 per pin.

Good luck and happy trading, if you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

TinkerBrie
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
My daughter turned 6 on our last vacation and started pin trading and LOVES it!

Aliceacc
02-04-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm intrigued by this as well.

I ordered a grab bag of 25 pins from http://www.mousepinsonline.com/tp40/default.asp?ID=18157 He's running a February special: they're $1.75 each, so it came to under $50 with shipping.

I think my kids will love the whole thing!

edited to add: I ordered on Feb 1, they came on the 4th... they're just adorable!!

SuziQZee
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
We do pin "collecting". As many pins as we've purchased over the years, my kids have NEVER traded at WDW. They are pretty attached to the pins they already have and can't imagine them wanting to trade, eventhough we always take our lanyards. I think I will purchase some "extra" pins from ebay or such and have the kids trade those. (thanks for the suggestion.) My kids are 8, 10 and 12 and I think they would have a blast doing this!

How do the CMs get their pins? Are they given a lanyard when they are hired or do they purchase their own?? Actually, my kids might feel guilty about trading pins if they think the CMs might miss them.

LAH LAH
02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
How do the CMs get their pins? Are they given a lanyard when they are hired or do they purchase their own?? Actually, my kids might feel guilty about trading pins if they think the CMs might miss them.

CM do not purchase their own pins. They have a large box of pins from which to choose from (at least this is how it was in 1998 in WDW). Some they earn and some are very rare...but this is NOT out of pocket for the CM.

So trade away and be merry while you do it! :rotfl:

disneyfanforlife
02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I pin trade. It is fun and a great way to make friends.

kimsuenew
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Just an FYI...be careful what pins are included in the grab bags and in Ebay auctions!

Some people have got pins buying this way that were not official Disney pins, and therefore, were not tradeable in the parks/to CM's!

I have bought from Ebay, however, I am careful, check feedback, specifically ask about what each pin back is stamped, and have even been known to ask for pictures of the pin backs! :goodvibes

dburg30
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Pin trading is addicting, that is what it is!

I'm 40 and I approve this message. DONT DO IT!!! :D JUST SAY NO!!:rotfl:

HeatherAnne
02-08-2008, 10:04 AM
My 7 Year old son has been trading pins for over 3 years and he LOVES it! It is the highlight of his trip. He usually trades with castmembers only though. We have had a few people take advantage of him. Anyway - he likes to collect the "castmember pins" with the hidden mickeys on them! He has quite the collection. His favorite is his "castmember" monorail collection. Each trip - this April will be his 11th trip - he brings pins from home that he is not too crazy about just to trade. He saves money to buy new ones each trip as well! He really loves it! Plus you get to meet some really great castmembers!

I Highly recommend pin trading for your 7 year old but beware - it can be VERY expensive and VERY addicting! :lmao: Have Fun!

HeatherAnne :) :) :)

kmccartney
02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I see a lot of posts relating to pin trading..what is that?
Is is something a 7 years old should do?

Pin trading... it's addicting! Ask my 13 year old!

heartbeeps
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I pin trade. It is fun and a great way to make friends.

and is VERY profitable for Disney. :rotfl:
think about it - at $10 a pop, less than an inch square, with probably 99% profit, I'm glad I'm a shareholder. :yay:

kimsuenew
02-11-2008, 05:09 AM
My 7 Year old son has been trading pins for over 3 years and he LOVES it! It is the highlight of his trip. He usually trades with castmembers only though. We have had a few people take advantage of him. Anyway - he likes to collect the "castmember pins" with the hidden mickeys on them! He has quite the collection. His favorite is his "castmember" monorail collection. Each trip - this April will be his 11th trip - he brings pins from home that he is not too crazy about just to trade. He saves money to buy new ones each trip as well! He really loves it! Plus you get to meet some really great castmembers!

I Highly recommend pin trading for your 7 year old but beware - it can be VERY expensive and VERY addicting! :lmao: Have Fun!

HeatherAnne :) :) :)

My son and I only ever traded with CM's. Do park visitors randomly trade with one another? I never knew that people did that. I love going to the CM's... you know right off that they have to trade with you, there is no pressure or embarrassment! I am sorry to hear about your son's experience... that people would take advantage of a young child... ugh! I agree... it is a wonderful way to meet CM's and interact! :goodvibes

Hollywoodhaha
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
very addicting:lmao:

dburg30
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
and is VERY profitable for Disney. :rotfl:
think about it - at $10 a pop, less than an inch square, with probably 99% profit, I'm glad I'm a shareholder. :yay:

No different then a lot of stuff out there that we spend money on. I would much rather WDW get my money, then somewhere else. I guess I look at it different. I look and think about what they have made, and how much it costs to maintain the WHOLE WDW property... Roads, landscape, sewer, water, electric, parking lots, trains, hiring the transportation system, boats, hotels, pools, plus paying everyone, property taxes, income taxes etc etc. Whew.. I'll happily let them make as much money as they can on me, just so I can go back :D :banana: :yay: :woohoo:

t_catt11
02-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Pin trading is great fun - my whole family does it, including my son, who started at age 5.

Yes, guests do trade with one another; usually, this happens around the pin stations. Think about it; they enjoy pins as much as you do! If someone has a nice lanyard, just ask to see their pins, like you would any cast member. I have noticed that almost everyone, even "pro" pin traders, are usually happy to show off their collection.

Of course, guests like you want value for value; unlike cast members, a guest probably won't take a starter set Mickey head in exchange for a hard to find limited edition pin. However, a did once have a "pro" trader swap a limited edition, out of print Chip & Dale Christmas pin... in exchange for an easy to find Aristocats. Why? He was a nice guy, and enjoyed helping my son add to his personal collection.

The secret is this: most pin traders are just like you. Offer them a fair deal; they may take it, they may not. My daughter (9 at the time) traded with a lady while we were waiting for the Festival of the Lion King. She gave the lady a Princess Aurora pin she had kept from a previous trip to Disney (which was no longer available in stores), and the lady gave her a really nice Maleficent pin. Both were happy.

I had a guy offer me a very nice Lion King pin I had never seen (and never seen since), but he wanted in exchange a pin I had from a previosu trip. I decided I'd rather keep what I had. :confused3

Here's a little primer for pin trading:

http://www.wdwinsiders.com/view_article.php?articleid=23

I LOVE to talk pin trading... feel free to post any questions here, or to PM me!

3princesses+aprince
02-19-2008, 07:28 AM
We are also going to be pin trading!!! I just read some threads on it about 2 weeks ago and decided my kids would love to do this when we go. I can see how it can be addicting, I ordered 4 pins from disneyshopping.com, just got those yesterday, I'm very excited. Now i'm waiting patiently for 3 that I orderd from mousepinsonline.com. I have 4 kids , so by the time our trip arrives we'll be all set with pins and lanyards, especially at the rate i'm going 14 months before the trip. I'm going to the mall tonight and will check out what they have in the disney store there, i called last week and they said they had a limited selection, so we'll see, i'm sure i'll find something I like.:goodvibes

DiSZYme
02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Has anyone ordered from mousepinsonline.com and knows that the pins are good? I'd love to let my girls do this, but don't think I'm willing to spend a lot of money on it (well, my dh is the one that doesn't want to spend the $). But, of course, I don't want to just waste the money on getting unusable pins.
Thanks in advance!

collcass
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
and recommend it. I was going to order today, unfortunately, I had to buy oil. :scared1: :scared1: After the $600 for that, well, the pins will wait:sad2: but I did order 12 of them from disney store online last week using a promo code and only purched the ones on sale.

I'll see if I can find the post that recommends the mouspins.

collcass
02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
and recommend it. I was going to order today, unfortunately, I had to buy oil. :scared1: :scared1: After the $600 for that, well, the pins will wait:sad2: but I did order 12 of them from disney store online last week using a promo code and only purched the ones on sale.

I'll see if I can find the post that recommends the mouspins.

ETAhere's the link Ther eis also another link within that thread that is very informative.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1709329

DiSZYme
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you CollCass! I went ahead and ordered the smallest grabbag of 25 pins. I hope there's a nice balance of keeps and trades, but I'll see...that' part of the fun:)

t_catt11
02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
We had this explained to us in December 2006; of course, it may have changed since then, but it's more recent than the 1998 info posted earlier (thanks for that tip, regardless!).

From what we understand, lanyards are pre-filled and given out prior to each shift (though it seems that cast members may have some say as to whether or not they wish to participate, the vast majority do). They may swap out a few before they start work, but by and large, they just pick up their lanyard and go.

If you didn't already know this, cast members have pins that can only be obtained by trading with them - pins in the "cast lanyard" series. You can spot these by seeing a tiny Mickey head on the front of the pin, and on the back, it will have "cast lanyard" or "CL" stamped on it. Note that the "hidden Mickey" series of trading pins (which are limited editions) also have a Mickey head on the front, and while these are less common than regular pins (sometimes far less common), these are available for purchase to the general public.

I have read that Disney will be merging cast lanyard and hidden Mickey pin lines in the future. (why?)

Finally, cast members can purchase cast exclusive pins. While these are frequently inexpensive, they are almost always very limited in edition, and are not available to the public. Odds of finding one of these in the parks are pretty much nil, since these must be purchased. I can't imagine a cast member trading one of these away unless they were specifically trying to make someone's day.

collcass
02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
We had this explained to us in December 2006; of course, it may have changed since then, but it's more recent than the 1998 info posted earlier (thanks for that tip, regardless!).

From what we understand, lanyards are pre-filled and given out prior to each shift (though it seems that cast members may have some say as to whether or not they wish to participate, the vast majority do). They may swap out a few before they start work, but by and large, they just pick up their lanyard and go.

If you didn't already know this, cast members have pins that can only be obtained by trading with them - pins in the "cast lanyard" series. You can spot these by seeing a tiny Mickey head on the front of the pin, and on the back, it will have "cast lanyard" or "CL" stamped on it. Note that the "hidden Mickey" series of trading pins (which are limited editions) also have a Mickey head on the front, and while these are less common than regular pins (sometimes far less common), these are available for purchase to the general public.

I have read that Disney will be merging cast lanyard and hidden Mickey pin lines in the future. (why?)

Finally, cast members can purchase cast exclusive pins. While these are frequently inexpensive, they are almost always very limited in edition, and are not available to the public. Odds of finding one of these in the parks are pretty much nil, since these must be purchased. I can't imagine a cast member trading one of these away unless they were specifically trying to make someone's day.

How many pins is sufficient for a a 9 & 11 yr old to start trading. I don't want them to go crazy, but we want them to have enough to trade with.

kscottiemom
02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Cast member lanyards can be more than one color.
I didn't know this and attempted to trade with a "green" lanyard. The CM told me, rather firmly, that those pins were for children. I was embarassed, but learned to avoid looking at green lanyards.

Most cast members are really friendly and it's fun to do.
One day we were looking at a lanyard and buying sweatshirts at the same time and were invited to ride in the parade. It was too incredible! They gave us ears, cameras, certificates, and an unforgettable memory.

Also, if there is a pin you want from a pin trader who has set up his/her display, you might be asked to trade multiple pins (which you can purchase at the pin shop) for one of theirs. I did this twice but would be unlikely to do it again. They were very expensive trades. (but we do things at WDW that we wouldn't dream of doing in the "real" world.

One thing more, I now keep my trading pins in a ziploc bag because I lost my lanyard once, and they can get heavy.

t_catt11
02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
...if you purchase a starter lanyard, you get four pins. This is definitely enough to get you going.

If you are going to buy pins in the park for the sole purpose of trading them, don't buy singles - at $8-$12 each, the cost gets prohibitive quickly. The way we have done it in the past is to buy each of the kids a starter pin set at the beginning of the trip; in these, you get a handful of small, common pins for a great price (if you look, you can get seven pins for $25). During the course of the trip, we buy "refill" starter sets. Of course, my wife and I also trade, so we often buy one starter set each day... two pins for each child, with my wife and I alternating on who gets two one day, and who gets only one.

Finally, we allow everyone to purchase one "keeper" pin per day - though they may, of course, trade it if they so desire, we encourage the kids to limit doing so to only other "keeper" pins. It gets old buying the same pin again and again, only to see it get traded away.

Now, do we do it the "right" way? It works for us. It may not be the way you wish to do it. The last time we went, we were unaware on places like http://mousepinsonline.com that allow you to buy grab bags of pins for about $2 per pin... we'll definitely invest in those before we go again.

The key is to set a limit and try to stick to it; it is easy to get carried away. And don't be surprised when family members want to stop at every pin trader cart in every park... stock varies from cart to cart, and you can find some neat things if you are willing to look!

collcass
02-20-2008, 09:16 AM
thanks a bunch. I got 12 pins at Disney store for $55. I only purchased ones that were on sale plus we will get a grab bag from mousepins.

I bet my older two will have a blast with it - they have their own money for the trip and know anything they want comes out of that. I'm a mean mommy - we are even making them pay for ice cream;)

t_catt11
02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Glad to be of help. So, when do you go?

We are hoping to go again this December. Since Jungle Book was re-released on DVD, I'll have a range of new pins to collect. It's silly, but I'm excited about that.

collcass
02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
We will be in FL 7/1 - 7/17 and in WDW 7/2-7/14. It's our first trip so we are excited even with the heat and the 100,000 other people :O) there!

t_catt11
02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Any time is a good time in Disney. If you are prepared for the crowds, you'll be fine.

If you ned to do any of the big table service meals (esp. fancy ones or cinderella), go on and make your reservations now.

Vickie46
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
the more pins you take the better... b/c you can trade them again on line with pinpics... its such a very fun hobby!

t_catt11
02-21-2008, 08:32 AM
I just received my order from disneyshopping.com - I had ordered three pins on sale. Two were jumbo pins.

I was expecting them to be large, but when they said jumbo, they meant it! Three, three and a half inches wide, with two pin backs! LOL

They are very cool, though.

collcass
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Funny, I was going to use them for easter baskets but Mr USP (as the boys call the UPS man) delivered the box while I was grocery shopping. I come hoe and my 6 yr old is holding the box, standing there with a huge grin saying "mom, the usp guy brought something from Disney".

Wow - they certainly are much larger than I expected. Even the regular size ones are bigger and heavier than I tought. But they are soooo cool.

t_catt11
02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I'll be setting these back. I was going to surprise my wife with a couple of nice pins if we manage to swing a trip this year like we are hoping... but of course, the delivery came while she was home, not me.

Now, she didn't open the box, but I'll bet she knows what was in it.