PDA

View Full Version : So frustrating!!

Rcoast911
02-02-2008, 12:43 AM
I just had the most frustrating conversation with a friend who told me about her wonderful Disney trip!! Well, I couldn't help but point it out that she wasted some BIG bucks!! Tell me the truth. Was I wrong for pointing these out to her? These were the main points that immediately bothered me:

1. she purchased a package for Beach Club for 4 people, including the dining plan, for 4 nights and 5 days. They got the 5 day park hopper passes. Here lies problem #1 - she did not add in the 'no expiration' add-on ("oh, I didn't know I could do that").

2. she was flying in from New England. She thought that because you couldn't check in until 3pm, that they shouldn't arrive into Orlando International until 2pm or so.

3. and same thing for her departure day. She thought that because she had to leave her room by 10am, that meant that she had to leave the resort. So she booked her flight to leave at 830 am.

4. And the final kicker, was she went to Sea World one day, and Universal another day. Nothing against these parks, I love them, but not when I hadn't added a "no expiration" on my Disney tickets.

I said Pam, do you realize how much money you wasted? First, I always add "no expiration" onto my cards, 'cause if I don't use all the days, I want them for future visits.

Now regarding your arrival/departure days, I have found that a lot of people think that they cannot use the resorts ammeneties or even go to the parks on those days.If you buy 4 nights, 5 days, that means 5 FULL DAYS!

If I am not utilizing the Magical Express, I would fly into town the night before my first Disney day and stay at a hotel by the airport, so that the following day, they would bring me back to the airport so I could pick up my rental car and go right over to my resort to get my keys. Even if my room isn't ready, I can still have a full day in the parks. Now my departure day, same thing. I would check out, bring my bag to the luggage counter, and take off for either the parks, or the pool, or just another resort to take a stroll.

My friend Pam also wasted some of her dining snacks and quick meals, because she thought it was 1 snack, 1 CS, and 1 TS PER DAY. That is incorrect. I tried to explain to her like this. When you arrived on Sunday, you had 15 "credits" on your card for each member of your famiily. They had 5 snacks, 5 CS, and 5 TS. She went down to the pool and ate a burger at Hurrican Hannah's - great, 1 CS gone. That was it for day #1. Well, when she woke up on Monday morning, she thought she had 14 of everything leftover, not 15 TS, 15 snacks, and 14 CS. By the time they checked out, they needed to eat a lot of food, which of course they didn't.

I kept hearing her say "Oh, I didn't know that". Well, my question is "why the hell not"? Don't people do their homework before they go? It kills me to see her waste all of that hard earned money. Everyone should take 2 hours and zip through these pages to find out ALL their needed info!!

Debi
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I totally feel your frustration! We all seem to have a friend, neighbor, co-worker, etc. that doesn't understand the (what we feel are) obvious details of WDW vacation planning. Good for you for explaining it to her; she'll know better for the next trip (if there is a next trip for her).

karajeboo
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I got mad just reading about it!!! I don't understand how you can spend that much money for a vacation and not research it. DH and I researched like crazy, read all the books, found this website plus others, and finally made our plans. We did this before we went to the Caribbean the first time too. First we narrowed down by country, then by resort, etc. Drives me crazy when people do this because then I feel like they didn't truly "experience" Disney the way it should be. So when I get all ga-ga over Disney, they look at me like I'm nuts, because they just didn't "get it."

ZoZo
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I think it's all in how you approach people. Was she asking for your input? You might say something like, "I've got some great money-saving strategies, if you want help planning your next trip. There are lots of ways to save money, if you just know about them!"

Sometimes people feel defensive, attacked or foolish if you keep pointing out what they've done wrong. You seem kind of worked up about this - I know you just want to help her, but criticizing her probably isn't the best way to help.

PS - I'm on these boards all the time and I know there are still things I don't know about WDW. There are so many things to learn about WDW vacations, I'm sure 90% of the vacationers out there don't do any research at all. Even the simple things like using Fast Pass - many people don't use them because they don't know they're there, or don't understand how they work. So many people like to do a "fly by the seat of their pants" type of vacation, with little or no research - if they do, that's their choice!

PrincessTiffany
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I understand the frustration. I like to plan and have all the facts too. But there are many people even here on the Dis who do not like to plan. The other day there was a post from a new member wanting to know if there were buses between the parks. There was a Dis member who was a DVC owner and has been to WDW 10 times and told the op that there was NO bus service between the parks!!! How can you go to WDW 10 times and have DVC ownership and not know you can take a bus from MGM, sorry, HS, to Epcot?!?! What is the point of a park hopper, if you can't hop? Or all of the people who post that you don't really need ADRs - just wing it. Are they crazy? The thought of dragging my 4 children and husband around WDW looking for a place to sit-down and eat and being turned away, place after place sounds like some form of torture! I'm sure I'll get flamed for this view, but I have place my flame-retardant suit on and I am ready. Flame away!!!

*Dreamin'Dad*
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Understand too. Sometimes people just want the comfort of you trying to help, yet they will never use it.

Been on both sides: Our last trip was with friends. Planned the entire trip out and it was not until the 2nd day that I heard the words, "The trip would have been very difficult without your planning. This place is wonderful and thank you for helping provide the memories" :)

I really like helping people, but I must admit that I am reserved when it comes to loaning out stuff. We have let others use our girls princess dresses and that turned out OK. But then this past year we my wife loaned out my Disney Trip Planner/Passporter (with two trips worth of EVERYTHING!). Long story short, they lost it. They did provide us with a new book replacement, but if you have one of these (with info) you know you can't ever replace it! Sorry to say this, but that won't happen again.

TinkerBrie
02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
You know it is funny- People always laugh about the way that I obsessively plan things. No detail overlooked. They say "Oh I don't have time for that". Well are you kidding me? :confused3 I have two kids, one is an infant, but I guess I have time? No instead of watching t.v all night like they do I am online researching and reading everything I can find and learning ways to save money and make the most of our time. I feel like people waste money because of their laziness. But it is funny when they want me to give them all of the cliff notes before their vacations. I do but it is impossible to give all of the information in a short amount of time. Especially without sounding like a know it all! :mad: Now you have me all fired up!!!!!:mad:

jklmw
02-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I totally agree with ZoZo, I am still learning. Our trip is in April and I am totally obsessing, my husband thinks I am going crazy. Every night I come home with another list or idea...thanks to this board. Now if I can just get a code for tickets.

Rylee
02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I understand wanting your friends to experience a magical trip, but honestly, unless your friend was complaining about feeling ripped-off or not worth the cost, I don't know why it would upset you so.

TXYankee
02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I hope your friend had a wonderful vacation.

I have traveled alot for business and pleasure. I am one to research my trips, however, many people don't. Her trip is in the past. Nothing you can do about it. I would tell her that you are a bit of a "Disney Nut" and the next time she goes, you would love to help her with planning and share some tips you have learned. No use making her feel bad or that she waisted money.I would ask your friend for feed back on her trip...what was GREAT, whad she liked and what she would do differently. Maybe she has some good tips and ideas. If she does, share them.

Melissa_E
02-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I got mad just reading about it!!! I don't understand how you can spend that much money for a vacation and not research it.

Oh I absolutely agree!!! When I went to DC for one day with MIL, DH, and DD4 I went online and researched. While we were there, we met a family visiting from Florida who didn't research anything, they were having an awful time. They didn't know that the American museum was closed, didn't know how to get around the city and complained because the only place they really had been was the Natural history museum and did that twice.

I plan and research and generally have a terrific time where ever we go as a family.

kitsch4
02-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I understand wanting your friends to experience a magical trip, but honestly, unless your friend was complaining about feeling ripped-off or not worth the cost, I don't know why it would upset you so.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Sorry, but if she's not upset about it, why are you?

Rcoast911
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes, she was upset when she realized how much money she wasted, she nearly cried!! "I should have spoken to you first before I left, you go all the time, and I don't". I didn't mean it as rude, she wasn't upset with me at all. She was upset with herself. Sorry, I guess I didn't post that right.:banana:

GaSleepingBeautyFan
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I can never understand how folks go on vacation and don't research where they are going.

I research every vacation we take no matter where it is to make sure I'm familiar enough to make good choices for my family.

I was talking to my neighbor last week who said she was thinking about taking her kids to Disney World for the first time during Spring Break. I told about the Disboards, printed some info off for her and told her if she wants, I'll help her figure anything out that she'd like help with.

I saw her today and she said she still hadn't decided if they were going and if they were they'd just wing it. :scared1:

I explained that Spring Break was extremely crowded and if they wing it, they'll probably not get to see or do as much. So I recommended again that she visit the Disboards and if she wants to borrow one my books, she's more than welcome to.

I'm betting she won't research anything, will just try to show up and get a room and be miserable. I figure at least I'll have tried to help. Sigh.

Secondgradememories
02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, she was upset when she realized how much money she wasted, she nearly cried!! "I should have spoken to you first before I left, you go all the time, and I don't". I didn't mean it as rude, she wasn't upset with me at all. She was upset with herself. Sorry, I guess I didn't post that right.:banana:

Maybe letting her enjoy this last trip, even if you thought she should have done things differently would have been better. The next trip you can offer to help plan. It's a bummer to make her go from thinking she had a wonderful time at Disney to feeling like it was a bad mistake. I'll remember this the next time I hear about a friend's trip. I'd hate to make someone cry over Disney! :guilty:

LadyntheTramp
02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Well...I think about it they other way...I only research what I need to...My family did not use the parks and did leave right after check out and arrive right before check in, so i personally don't see the big deal about that.

The dining plan..yes I would look into that

Also I never bought tickets with the no expiration date, because I didnt' want to pay the extra money.

Also, I can see why ppl don't research, i read these boards to get an idea of what is going on but I am a much more relaxed planner. If I find out I could have done it cheaper after I go, well then I know for next time. I don't really obsess about planning, more just go with the flow and see what happens.

Now my sister, she is a planner.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with not researching, IMO.

mbcary
02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I understand what you are saying, but it seems that Pam still had a good time regardless of now knowing all of the details. Most of us "experts" know all of the tricks and how to utilize everything available, but for those that don't know, they seem to still have a good time.

d1gitman
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Why on earth would you try to make someone feel bad about their trip to the happiest place on earth? Remember your first trip, did you know it all on your first trip? Do you think you know it all now? I actually advise against hopper option and no expiration option to people who ask me, to me it is not worth the expense when you break a trip down into daily cost. But the thing to keep in mind is what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Different people look for different things in a vaca and have different budgets. The important thing that we should be happy for anyone blessed enough to visit Disney. Lighten up people. I research and plan our annual treks to WDW in an obsessive manner but certainly don't try to force my ways onto others.

karajeboo
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
OK, I can understand the people who don't research to the extent that many of us DISers do - but to buy tickets with no expiration and then go to "the dark side" (Universal/Sea World) and waste those days? That didn't require major research. Neither did check in times and knowing that just because your room may not be ready until 3pm, you can still get your park passes. I didn't become the major planner I am now until AFTER I found the DIS! This sight, plus a couple of others, plus the Unofficial Guide, really made my first major trip to Disney much more enjoyable because we did research it. Now, on the other hand, I waaaaaay overplan! But it works for me.

d1gitman
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
lighten up people. no one was harmed by someone going to WDW with out all the knowledge that us know it alls claim to have. i obsess over our trips for the entire yr. but good God people, why on earth criticize anyone going to or who has gone to WDW. It just doesn't seem to be a Disney behavior. just think of something in your life you were all excited and happy about, then think of how you would feel if someone pointed out all your faults....life is too short to be so egotistical...anway i am done ranting on this topic.

LAH LAH
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Maybe you should have been a little more of a friend and a lot less of a know it all... :confused3

That might sound harsh...but I think you belting out all of her mistakes to her was rather harsh too.

Even saying that...a good bargain is always the way to go :hug:

ntsammy5
02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
popcorn::

Aliceacc
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Before the trip, yes I think you should have shared whatever tips you think she could have used.

After the fact, what was the point? How would knowing she had spent unnecessary money possibly help anyone? I think the only thing you accomplished was to make her feel bad, which I'm sure is what you did NOT intend.

Sorry, I think you may owe her an apology.

aaronandterri
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
i thought it was per night of your stay u got dining credits not per day????

Chellymouse
02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I have to agree....reading your post made me cringe! I don't understand why she wouldn't have asked questions when she was booking or check with someone who had gone previously. This past August our friends (also neighbors) went with us and we spent many a night eating steaks and drinking mojitos before the trip. We spent about 1/2 of our trip together (which was perfect) and all of us had a wonderful time. We showed them the ropes and by the time we had to go home, they had it down! I can't imagine spending that kind of money and having that kind of waste, but to each his own I guess. :sad2:

Disneygirl26
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Well...I think about it they other way...I only research what I need to...My family did not use the parks and did leave right after check out and arrive right before check in, so i personally don't see the big deal about that.

The dining plan..yes I would look into that

Also I never bought tickets with the no expiration date, because I didnt' want to pay the extra money.

Also, I can see why ppl don't research, i read these boards to get an idea of what is going on but I am a much more relaxed planner. If I find out I could have done it cheaper after I go, well then I know for next time. I don't really obsess about planning, more just go with the flow and see what happens.

Now my sister, she is a planner.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with not researching, IMO.

The only money she wasted was on the dining plan, I personnaly think the dinning plan is a waste of money, as far as the tickets there isn't a big difference in price between lets say a 3 day pass and a 5 day pass and time she probly could have made better use of her time, but you have to chalk it up to exsperience. I'm not into planning every little detail and I've enjoyed all my trips, but you should know exactly what your paying for that goes for everything not just disney. I think you should have gave her all your advice before she went and not after the fact

PrincessTiffany
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
The only money she wasted was on the dining plan, I personnaly think the dinning plan is a waste of money, as far as the tickets there isn't a big difference in price between lets say a 3 day pass and a 5 day pass and time she probly could have made better use of her time, but you have to chalk it up to exsperience. I'm not into planning every little detail and I've enjoyed all my trips, but you should know exactly what your paying for that goes for everything not just disney. I think you should have gave her all your advice before she went and not after the fact
We have four kids and have been on the dining plan three times and it has saved us money everytime. During Free Dining it saved us $1300.00 this past September with 8 nights at POP. In December of 2005 it saved us $800.00 with 7 nights at ASMo and this December when we go to ASMo for 8 nights, since appetisers and tips aren't included, we will still save $400.00.

dburg30
02-14-2008, 07:02 PM
i thought it was per night of your stay u got dining credits not per day????

It is.. So they had 4 days worth, not 5.

1. she purchased a package for Beach Club for 4 people, including the dining plan, for 4 nights and 5 days. They got the 5 day park hopper passes. Here lies problem #1 - she did not add in the 'no expiration' add-on ("oh, I didn't know I could do that").

You never said how many days they actually went to the parks? If they went 4 days, the difference between not using the one day and paying for the no exp really isnt that much.. Now if they only went 3 days or 2 or something, then sure maybe they should've got non expir.