PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios - what do you like?

gigsmoke
02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
We are planning a June trip. We are new DVC members and have been to Disney World Before. We have gone to MGM / Hollywood Studios several times and every time feel disappointed. What is it that you like to do there? The Rock n Rollercoaster is good
Muppet 3d - good first time, but not worth going to every time
Great Movie Ride - bad
Drew Carey show - I have hear is bad
Lights Camera Action - good first time, but not worth seeing again
Fantasmic - Good - but it loses its appeal after 2 or 3 times
So what am I missing?
Thanks
Matt

ldadar
02-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I loved Hollywood, but I've only been there once. I liked the street performers, Beauty and the Beast, Ariel, and Fantasmic.

unbroken chain
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
We like Tower of Terror and Star Wars (the area walking up to the Star Wars attraction and around it is neat). I like the Great Movie Ride, myself, and the back lot tour too. I agree that the Lights, Camera, Action show is really only good once but we've seen Indiana Jones a few times and it's good on the second or third showing (even though you know the "surprise" ending pertaining to one of the volunteers). Fantasmic is good but just not worth the crowds, to me, having seen it once. Rock n' Roller coaster is a little too intense for me. And we like to eat at the Sci-Fi Drive In, even though the food is only so-so. Kids love it.

SuziQZee
02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
We like star tours, tower ot terror, Rock N Roller coaster, Fantasmic. Ariel & Beauty and the Beast are great shows even if you don't have girls. I love what they do with Ariel.

Also, we love SciFi and 50's Diner. They are experiences in themselves.

iluveeyore
02-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Fantasmic is our favourite, and I love all the shows like Beauty & the Beast and the new Lights, Motors , Action show.
One thing we saw last year that we've never seen in all our visits was Walt, a Man and his Dream. I honestly think everyone that passes through a Disney Park gate should have to see this before doing anything - it truly lets you know how everything came to be and really appreciate the man behind the name. It's a short enjoyable movie in air conditioning, and the displays and miniatures of all the parks you get to look through before the movie are amazing.

tinkerbellgirl93
02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
My family is in love with MGM (i refuse to called it Hollywood Studios).

If you are disappointed with this park, I recommend taking it slowly.
Take time to enjoy the surroundings, Hollywood Blvd, and the street by Lights! Motors! Action! where everything is set up like New York. Definitely take note of the detail around the park and the beauty of it all. I also recommend the cute street performers. Go to the rides that suit your likes.

If you are a thrillseeker..
head to Tower of Tower--simply amazing
Rock n Roller Coaster--another amazing one
Lights!Motors!Actions!-its a show, but very thrilling!
Star Tours--very fun
Indiana Jones--another show, but very cool

If you like shows and Disney Magic...
The Little Mermaid-very disney-like and for the younger few
Beauty and The Beast--classic Disney magic and very good theatre arts!
Indiana Jones--a thriller show!
Lights, motors action!-another thriller show.
Muppets--cute, but you might find it a bit tedious

If you prefer sentimental and in-depth disney stuff (i dont know how to describe it)
Animation Studio--explore the flip-side of Dis. Magic. Draw your own characters!
Walt Disney-One Man's Dreams-informational but not boring
Great Movie Ride--its a classic, you really have to just sit and enjoy it
Backlot Tour--backstage of movies and rides, very cool.

That's all I can seem to come up with at the momento..if you really explore the park I'm sure you'll come to enjoy it!

Safari Queen
02-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Gigsmoke, we're not big thrill ride people and don't find much to do at MGM/DHS. We go to see the Osborne Lights during the holidays, but that's the only thing we really look forward to every year. This year we had company who hadn't been there in a long time, so we went for HS Musical show, Lights/Action, Backlot Tour and the Muppets. Otherwise, we only go for Fantasmic every other year and when new attractions or shows open. I've never spent more than 1/2 day there. I'm looking forward to Toy Story Mania, though.

montesimo
02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
For thrill rides, it doesn't get much better than the Rock n Roll coaster. We make a point of riding at least once on every visit!

minniebeth
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
We've been to MGM (I'm old school as well....) many times during the day. Yes, some of the things can get tiring, but we love the Hollywood feel and street shows. We've always been there during the day, never at night except after Fantasmic, and the last time we were there at night, and it took on a whole different feel with a different energy that was very cool!
There is a lot to explore that is a little off beat. Spend some time in the Animation Building! There is always something new to find.
Definately take the time to explore.

IHEARTNY
02-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Top 3:
1. Hollywood Tower of Terror, no contest, this is my favorite ride period. Mostly because elevators in real life scare me tons and so it's definitely a thrill for me everytime I go on. Luckily I'm usually there when I can go on and on and on over and over and it never gets old.
2. Lights, Motors, Action! I think it's awesome. I always go to DW in September and so it's usually just a walk up to any ride and this one's definitely included in walk-up ability.
3. '50s Primetime Restaurant. Okay I know it's not a ride but I like to people watch and I feel like it's a good restaurant to do so.

I agree though, everytime I go to MGM (I haven't been since they changed the name so it's still MGM to me :laughing: ), I end up leaving in the afternoon and taking the Epcot resort boat to Ecpot or the Boardwalk area and spending more time there...

karajeboo
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
My family is in love with MGM (i refuse to called it Hollywood Studios).

If you are disappointed with this park, I recommend taking it slowly.
Take time to enjoy the surroundings, Hollywood Blvd, and the street by Lights! Motors! Action! where everything is set up like New York. Definitely take note of the detail around the park and the beauty of it all. I also recommend the cute street performers. Go to the rides that suit your likes.

I totally agree! The first couple of times we went, we rushed through, hit the major attractions, but just thought it was so-so. When we took DD who had just turned 5 at the time, in 2006, DH and I walked out and said, "Now why did I like that park so much better this time?" I'm sure it's because with a child we took our time and really explored it. Plus, just the time she spent waiting in line to get autographs, we just looked around, and it really is a neat park! I think it's Streets of America where we found some of the Disney Channel characters and DH and I just loved it!

SnowWtch
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I did the college program back in summer '96 at The Studios. It will always hold a special place in my heart but I do agree that there isn't much there that's really entertaining after the first time or two. We usually just go there for shopping now or a special occasion like Star Wars Weekends since we have APs.

CrazyDisneyMommy1
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
It's hard to say as everyones taste is different. We were there for this past Christmas week and did MGM (Hollywood) Studios twice. Our family loves it and it is my DS's favorite park. We took the time to have our kids faces painted, sat and people watched as we had a pretzel, shopped while my DH & DS did Rockin', Saw Lights, Motors for the fifth time and still love it. Had my son fight Darth Vader (his favorite thing on the trip). My son loves the Great movie ride. Saw HSM2 for my DD. Watched the parade. Saw Fantasmic for the 7th time, a must see for all of us. Sorry I could go on and on as we enjoy this park. We did Ariel, Saw Incredible characters, Star Tours. We missed Tower, Indy and backlot tour but will hit them next time.

It is possible that the Toy Story ride will be open when you go, so that might be something new for you. Just enjoy the magic, weather and sights!!! Hope you have a magical time.

RllngRckBrw
02-09-2008, 09:10 AM
The Rock n Rollercoaster is good
Muppet 3d - good first time, but not worth going to every time
Great Movie Ride - bad
Drew Carey show - I have hear is bad
Lights Camera Action - good first time, but not worth seeing again
Fantasmic - Good - but it loses its appeal after 2 or 3 times
So what am I missing?
Thanks
Matt

Rock n Roller Coaster is a great ride. (Also do the Tower of Terror while over there)
Muppets - I agree it is good once
Great Movie Ride - I disagree, I really enjoyed this (it was nothing groundbreaking and some of the movies are dated but still really cool)
Drew Carey - this is terrible if it is even still there, please tear it down
Lights Camera Action - I liked it and plan to go back. It is pretty cool.
Fantasmic - Great! the best nighttime show

Other things I liked!
Indiana Jones - It is old however anything that is full for this many years has to still have some draw
The Little Mermaid - Great show, for more than just children.
Star Tours is cool if you are a fan of the movies, however it is very dated and is no longer very advanced and you can definitely tell.
The Backlot Tour - Kinda cool, but a long ride with not a ton of excitement. I plan to do it again, but if I had to miss something this would be it because it is really long and not the most exciting ride in the park.

MichaelH
02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
We are DVC members also. We have been in DBC for a couple of years. We love MGM & EPCOT, that is why BoardWalk is our home resort.

The Lights, Motor, Action is a great show and we watch it every time. My wife and I love this as much as the kids and I always enjoy the show. We also love to watch the street performers, they are have some really great skits. If you see them performing stop and watch.

For rides, we like TOT and RNR these are great thrill rides. We always have to do Muppet Vision 3D. We usually try to eat lunch at Mama Melrose's also. The 50's Prime Time Cafe is a great place to eat also.

ZoZo
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
This is definitely a half-day park for me. I like RnR, ToT, and the Muppets. Otherwise, I don't really care for the attractions. (Plus, I think the food isn't that great there.) Didn't like Fantasmic at all - but that's just me!

disneydreamgirl
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Last January DH and DS did a drawing class (15 minutes) and they loved it! It is one of the highlights of their 1st Disney trip. They were instructed on how to draw Winnie the Pooh and both did a very good job, especially DH. He was told by the instructor that he looks for artists who draw like him to hire. Needless to say, DH was flying high aftr a comment like that!

ntsammy5
02-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree with OP. When it opened, MGM was one of our favorite parks, but it has lost its appeal. Other than RnR & ToT, very little has been done to keep this park up-to-date. Indy is very old and worn, as are back lot & great movie ride. The shows have been around forever and the best one they ever had (Hunchback) has been closed for years. I think that the name change heralds some big changes here, but until that happens, this is our least favorite park which can be done in less than a day. JMO.

MagicAllison
02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
We refuse to call it anything but MGM as well. :cool2:

SleepyatDVC
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Last January DH and DS did a drawing class (15 minutes) and they loved it! It is one of the highlights of their 1st Disney trip. They were instructed on how to draw Winnie the Pooh and both did a very good job, especially DH. He was told by the instructor that he looks for artists who draw like him to hire. Needless to say, DH was flying high aftr a comment like that!

Yep. My kids love this. We will go to the park and spend all day here if left up to the kids. As it is, we go at least 3 times each time we visit the park. We usually sit in the front row with a lap board when there are more people so as not to hog up a desk seat so many times a day.

Actually, the lap board works better for the kids since those swing out stools are a bit far from the desks anyways.

UrsulasShadow
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Only good things there are:
Tower of Terror
Rock n Roller Coaster
Street Performers
Dining at the Brown Derby
Seeing Osborne Lights at Christmastime
Muppets 3-D (and only for its classic value)

All the rest I can give a miss...yes, even Fantasmic. Didn't like it much the first time I saw it, didn't like it any better this last time.