PDA

View Full Version : Why is DLR so much more expensive than WDW?

shaycamp21
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Ok. I nearly fell over when I checked out the price of a two night stay at DLR (Pardise Pier) on the disneyparks site-- $1300 (4-Dh, myself and dd's 8 & 9 )-- wow I sure could get a lot more out days at WDW for that price. Even one of Good Neighbour hotels was $900 for two days which just seems crazy to me.:rotfl2:

Here's the thing. We are going on a cruise to Hawaii in August (would have loved to do the West Coast DCL cruise but Hawaii was much cheaper :confused3 )and have decided to break up an otherwise long flight by stopping in CA to visit my friend and her family for a few days and I thought we could also spend a couple days at DL so we can get our Disney fix for the year. We have one day tickets left over from WDW and I heard these can be used at DL (they are not park hoppers though can they be upgraded?). :cutie:

Though I have been to DL many more times than WDW I only did day trips not the whole resort thing. Since the rest of my family has never been to DL only WDW I was hoping to squeeze a tiny bit of Disney Magic into this vacation. My plan was to stay two nights at DLR or around there. With one night just doing a character dinner and relaxing by the pool and the next day exploring the parks. Is there an economical way to do this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.princess:

lillybug
02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
We stayed at the Hojo on Harbor for $54 a night in November.

Look around a bit more, and you will find better deals than what you've mentioned. :)

HydroGuy
02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
With a family of six we have stayed the last few times at the BWPPI during summer for $140 a night.

stacielee
02-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I looked it up and that is including tickets (3-day park hoppers). You can definitely do better yourself; on Expedia.com, the PP hotel was about $300/night. A log of the hotels around Disneyland, not part of the resort hotels, are much better priced, and just as nice.

Mrs. Bee
02-01-2008, 06:17 PM
The Disneyland on-site resorts are all insanely priced. Stay off-site. They don't really have "value" and "moderate" resorts like WDW.

Have you ever been to Disneyland before? You can't really get as completely immursed in the Disney feeling at DL.

Hound 109
02-01-2008, 06:25 PM
The Disneyland on-site resorts are all insanely priced. Stay off-site. They don't really have "value" and "moderate" resorts like WDW.

Have you ever been to Disneyland before? You can't really get as completely immursed in the Disney feeling at DL.

I could...& have.

Mrs. Bee
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Well, I was actually asking the original poster that question.

But then my question to you is...have you ever been to WDW?

DoomBugger
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Also DLR only has three hotels where WDW has like 20 or something.

WDW on-site is very expensive too, we've done six nights on-site and I don't even like to say what it cost for the on-site hotel and 5 day park hoppers for four. It was like the GDP of a smal island nation but it was epic!

Seriously, you could stay at a killer hotel by the beach for way less and just shuttle up to DLR in the morning. I've always felt people put too much stock in the amount of money they are willing to spend just to close their eyes. That said, there is much to be said for the entire experience and a nice bed and shower.

MommytoaSweetie
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
We're staying off-site, but I think we're paying about what we would be at WDW for a similar trip (we're staying at a suite hotel, so I expect rates to be a little more, but they're no more than they would be if we were staying somewhere else in the same sort of hotel). We haven't yet stayed on-site at WDW, but it seems like DL is much different in terms of the "resort" aspect of Disney than WDW where there's so much more Disney-type space. I guess I'll find out in a little bit! :) I'm looking forward to seeing the differences.

shaycamp21
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM

OP here. I have been to DL many times but only as day trips as my grandfather lived in Southern CA and we visited almost every summer. The last time I went to DL was in '92 in my early 20's and I know a lot has changed since then as there was no DTD area I remember or CA so I thought there was more of that "immersed" Disney feel now than before. I am not expecting the same thing as WDW but more magic than just visiting a Six Flags Park for the day.

DangerMouse
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
DLR doesn't have to be expensive. If you price out rooms directly across the street on Harbor (some are less of a walk to the front gates than the DLR hotel properties), and get a good deal on hoppers, you can go quite frugally.

The biggest problem you will face is getting a deal on hoppers, mostly because you are only wanting 2 days, and not going during a time where there are "specials" on hoppers. I'm really unsure about upgrading your WDW (non-hopper) tickets. You may want to make a call to Disneyland Guest Services to see if they will give you credit for those.

I'm currently pricing out a trip to WDW from Phoenix, and am just blown away by the cost. I can't believe how much it will cost my family of 5 to have 5 days in the parks. Insane!

DoomBugger
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
The last time I went to DL was in '92 in my early 20's and I know a lot has changed since then as there was no DTD area I remember or CA so I thought there was more of that "immersed" Disney feel now than before. I am not expecting the same thing as WDW but more magic than just visiting a Six Flags Park for the day.

I think what Miss Bee was saying is that nothing is more immersive and magical than the original Disneyland Park, the park that Walt built himself!
California Adventure and Downtown Disney are like nice bonuses that are progressively getting better the way I see it, to me in the end it is all about the original park that started it all.

shaycamp21
02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Also DLR only has three hotels where WDW has like 20 or something.

WDW on-site is very expensive too, we've done six nights on-site and I don't even like to say what it cost for the on-site hotel and 5 day park hoppers for four. It was like the GDP of a smal island nation but it was epic!

We have stayed on-site at WDW the past three summers in a row during the free dining promotion and I actually found it to be quite reasonable (more so than the DCL cruises we went on or say an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean), especially considering you are getting all your meals "free." The most we paid was $2300 (for nine nights for the 4 of us) including 7 day park hoppers with the waterparks and more option and this was at a moderate resort (POFQ), the other two times we stayed at one of the Value resorts (POP) and it was around $1900 also for 9 nights. So you can see why I balk at $1300 for two nights at DLR. I know there are only three places to choose from but I still think it is overpriced.;)

DoomBugger
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
We have stayed on-site at WDW the past three summers in a row during the free dining promotion and I actually found it to be quite reasonable (more so than the DCL cruises we went on or say an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean), especially considering you are getting all your meals "free." The most we paid was $2300 (for nine nights for the 4 of us) including 7 day park hoppers with the waterparks and more option and this was at a moderate resort (POFQ), the other two times we stayed at one of the Value resorts (POP) and it was around $1900 also for 9 nights. So you can see why I balk at $1300 for two nights at DLR. I know there are only three places to choose from but I still think it is overpriced.;)

I agree, it is definitely overpriced but it is unfortunalely what the market will bear. I'm glad the WDW trips worked out for you, maybe the best bet is just to stay on Harbor and walk across the street every morning.

fairycat
02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I think its because WDW has so many hotel options in so many price points. Were as you pretty much only have the Deluxe hotels owned by Disney (GCH and DLH) at DLR (and one Upper Mod? PPH), just like at WDW, and then all the mods and values, are across the street and happen to be owned by some one else. The great thing is by having them owned by others you probably could get almost all the same range hotels in CA cheaper then in FL.

Saying that I think if you look at the compareables they actually are pretty similar, for our stay at Poly with tickets (not even the best tickets) was $1800 for 3 nights. So it would actually be cheaper by a few hundred to have stayed at DLR at the GCH, for the same period of time.

ETA: I also saw your price gets you 4 people in WOW! Our trip was only two people for that over $1800 :eek:

keishashadow
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
to the OP - the official word I received from calling Disneyland is that the MYW tix must have the parkhopping option & no-expiration option if past the original window for usage ofbase tix. Was told they need to be exchanged each day @ the front gate.

$1300 - wow - over $650 a night! Suite? Concierge? Holiday?:confused3

For end of June/beginning of July this year standard room rates (when they were still available-sparse now) ranged from $350 (PPier & up) when i checked, with small AAA discount available-believe it was approx equal to the tax.

I'd like to think the 3 onsite DL resorts are akin to majority of "deluxe" WDW ones:thumbsup2 The GC pics i've seen certainly are reminiscent of the WL, same designer; believe he did the AK too?

For those of us of a certain age, DLH is iconic and historical, i don't expect all the bells & whistles - moreso :goodvibes

Hound 109
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM

4 times. Was totally immersed in bus rides, humidity & or love bugs. Got as much done in 5-7 days at WDW as i get done in 2-3 days at DLR. But WDW has better dining...& I have heard that WDW has better shopping.

Regarding "actually asking the OP that question"...I was just contrasting your opinion with my own....since they differ.

stagemomx3
02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Yes you can! Stay at The Grand Californian.

DoomBugger
02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
WDW has better dining

So true. Don Shula's Steak House is truly one of the best steak experiences I have ever had and I know my steaks as my family are all Texans!

Mrs. Bee
02-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I think what Miss Bee was saying is that nothing is more immersive and magical than the original Disneyland Park, the park that Walt built himself!
California Adventure and Downtown Disney are like nice bonuses that are progressively getting better the way I see it, to me in the end it is all about the original park that started it all.

Actually, no. I was saying that I feel totally immersed in Disney at WDW as opposed to Disneyland and DCA because they are right in the middle of Anaheim. WDW is HUGE. So many resorts and everything. It's pretty insane.

4 times. Was totally immersed in bus rides, humidity & or love bugs. Got as much done in 5-7 days at WDW as i get done in 2-3 days at DLR. But WDW has better dining...& I have heard that WDW has better shopping.

Regarding "actually asking the OP that question"...I was just contrasting your opinion with my own....since they differ.

The bus rides weren't too bad actually. Fairly short to everywhere from our resort. I think I enjoyed the bus more than walking down harbor and passing 18 denny's along the way.

Yes you can! Stay at The Grand Californian.

No way...I can't rationalize spending that much money on a hotel room I'm barely going to be in.

drag n' fly
02-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Ok. I nearly fell over when I checked out the price of a two night stay at DLR (Pardise Pier) on the disneyparks site-- $1300 (4-Dh, myself and dd's 8 & 9 )-- wow I sure could get a lot more out days at WDW for that price. Even one of Good Neighbour hotels was $900 for two days which just seems crazy to me.:rotfl2:

Here's the thing. We are going on a cruise to Hawaii in August (would have loved to do the West Coast DCL cruise but Hawaii was much cheaper :confused3 )and have decided to break up an otherwise long flight by stopping in CA to visit my friend and her family for a few days and I thought we could also spend a couple days at DL so we can get our Disney fix for the year. We have one day tickets left over from WDW and I heard these can be used at DL (they are not park hoppers though can they be upgraded?). :cutie:

Though I have been to DL many more times than WDW I only did day trips not the whole resort thing. Since the rest of my family has never been to DL only WDW I was hoping to squeeze a tiny bit of Disney Magic into this vacation. My plan was to stay two nights at DLR or around there. With one night just doing a character dinner and relaxing by the pool and the next day exploring the parks. Is there an economical way to do this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.princess:

Staff are paid better in CA than FL. State taxes are higher in CA than FL. If you want to stay economical stay offsite my fav is HOJO!

drag n' fly
02-02-2008, 12:55 AM

I absolutely have to disagree with you.
Having been to both parks, DL is far superior for the park experience and WDW really pulls ahead in the resort experience imo:goodvibes

Hound 109
02-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Actually, no. I was saying that I feel totally immersed in Disney at WDW as opposed to Disneyland and DCA because they are right in the middle of Anaheim. WDW is HUGE. So many resorts and everything. It's pretty insane.

Disneyland was "in the middle of" a bunch of orange groves when it was built. DLR is not HUGE....which is a good thing. Lots of resorts of at WDW, but better rides at DLR (& almost as many).

The bus rides weren't too bad actually. Fairly short to everywhere from our resort. I think I enjoyed the bus more than walking down harbor and passing 18 denny's along the way.

The bus rides prevent effective touring &/or park hopping. I would average a 10 min. bus wait & a 20 min. bus ride 2-4 times per day. I walked further from my PO Riverside room to the bus stop than i did from the PP (or Fairfield on Harbor) to the DL front gate. Don't remember passing a Dennys on Harbor, but walking by a McD came in handy for kids snacks. - Does the World forbid McDs fries & happy meals for "immersion" reasons? (i seem to remember several examples of McD immersion creep within it's confines..AKL perhaps.)

OP, i think Dangermouse hit the nail on the head. 1 or 2 day visits to DLR don't provide much of a discount on DLR tickets (or WDW for that matter). The deals start kicking in on 3 day hoppers & longer.

Also, if you go deluxe at WDW for 2 days.... or deluxe (DLH or GCH) at DLR for 2 days during a non-value season.....then you're gonna pay big bucks at both.

IMO, several of the Harbor Motels compare with the WDW Pops (& to the Mods w/o the theming) at a lower price. & you'll be 5 -7 minutes from door to front gate.

iceskatejen
02-02-2008, 01:05 AM
A very simple reason DL is more expensive--the cost of living is much higher in CA than FL.

DoomBugger
02-02-2008, 06:09 AM

I see what you are saying. Well I must repectufully disagree, I don't see how anyone can say that Disneyland Park itself is less immersive than anything else that is "Disney" as it is the ultimate definition of that Disney feeling. That said, there is something really cool about walking out of the Magic Kingdom in WDW and seeing a huge lake and resort buildings!:woohoo:

shaycamp21
02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
to the OP - the official word I received from calling Disneyland is that the MYW tix must have the parkhopping option & no-expiration option if past the original window for usage ofbase tix. Was told they need to be exchanged each day @ the front gate.

The one day tickets we have are just one day tickets they don't expire until you use them. We had to split our stay last summer in order to qualify for the free dining promotion. So we had to purchase a one day ticket for everyone in addition to the seven day tickets we had. We just used the 7-day one as we were told the one day ticket could be used another time. I wonder if I could somehow upgrade the ticket through WDW guest relations so that it is a park hopper instead of just a base ticket?

shaycamp21
02-02-2008, 10:04 AM
$1300 - wow - over $650 a night! Suite? Concierge? Holiday?:confused3

[/QUOTE]
oops I clicked off the quote when editing.

I guess that was including 3 day hoppers per person so that is why it is was so pricey.

Mrs. Bee
02-02-2008, 12:57 PM
It's hilarious how defensive people get about "their" park. Hilarious!

If you compare Disneyland park to WDW's Magic Kingdom...I think Disneyland is a better park. But I believe the overall experience and atmosphere is just amazing at WDW.

Yeah...Disneyland USED to be in the middle of orange groves but it sure isn't anymore. Walt got it right the second time because he was able to purchase insane amounts of land for the parks in Florida.

Why would you park hop at WDW 4 times in one day? Even at Disneyland we only go back and forth maybe once or twice in a day.

For me, WDW is just a much bigger vacation. But that may also have something to do with the fact that I've only been there on 4 trips in my life but I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times because I lived 10 minutes away.

I always thought a WDW vacation was so much more expensive than a Disneyland one. But since moving I've noticed that the prices aren't too different (unless we wanted to stay at the DL hotel...then the price jumps considerably.)

Hound 109
02-02-2008, 01:20 PM
It's hilarious how defensive people get about "their" park. Hilarious!

Not defensive. I'm aware that based on the thread title.... that WDW vets (who are contemplating a visit to SoCal & DLR) will read this. I'm stating an alternative opinion (mine) when i think you are inaccurate or mis-stating the facts.

If you compare Disneyland park to WDW's Magic Kingdom...I think Disneyland is a better park. But I believe the overall experience and atmosphere is just amazing at WDW.

WDW delivers an amazing experience. Particularly for folks who WANT shopping malls, golf courses & water parks as part of their Disney experience. Where i live, the shopping, golf & water parks are much better than what WDW offers so that's not a benefit to me.

Also, because of WDW's expansiveness, i have to dedicate 60-80% more time to do what i like to do. & ride a d*amn bus cause i can't walk it & i'm too cheap to cab it.

Yeah...Disneyland USED to be in the middle of orange groves but it sure isn't anymore. Walt got it right the second time because he was able to purchase insane amounts of land for the parks in Florida.

Why would you park hop at WDW 4 times in one day? Even at Disneyland we only go back and forth maybe once or twice in a day. Rode the Buses 4 times a day. Morning Park. Back for a rest. Evening Park (or a restaurant). Back to hotel at night.

For me, WDW is just a much bigger vacation. But that may also have something to do with the fact that I've only been there on 4 trips in my life but I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times because I lived 10 minutes away.

That might be it. I don't live in SoCal, so when i visit DLR for 2-3 days, I get to visit other wonderful things not available to me for 2-3 days (beach/SD/Malibu/Central Coast/Hollywood etc.) & my idea of a vacation... is 3-4 days at DLR & then enjoy those other things that I don't get to enjoy where i live.

Since i have love bugs, humidity, oppressive heat, water parks (the best in the world), fantastic golf courses, & plenty of big a** shopping malls where i live...... Central Florida is not nearly as appealing (to me) as the Pacific Ocean.

& if i really want to DO WDW, i have blow 6-7 days AT WDW to DO it (which doesn't give me enough time to DO St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Miami or other spots i might be inclined to visit).

I always thought a WDW vacation was so much more expensive than a Disneyland one. But since moving I've noticed that the prices aren't too different (unless we wanted to stay at the DL hotel...then the price jumps considerably.)
Not if visiting off peak....& definitely not if you snag an AP rate (I stayed at PP for $129 for example.

But, I'm glad there are two in the US & am glad that most visit Florida.....(& I wish they'd build one in the middle of the country....like Texas). :woohoo:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
02-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't know why there's so much debating about whether DLR or WDW is a better resort. I haven't been to California yet but I look at them as two completely different vacations. I don't want DLR to turn into WDW and vice versa.

I'm really happy to hear about this! So, does this mean that we can exchange our 2 days that we have left at WDW for admission to DLR? (We have the no expiration and hopper options.) That would shave off some of the cost for us.

DangerMouse
02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't believe there was ever an intent to start a debate about which is better. Hound knows better (good Hound! pluto: ) People have just expressed their opinions about which one gives you an immersion into the true Disney spirit and appeals to them more for a vacation. Different strokes, ya know . . . ;-)

DoomBugger
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't believe there was ever an intent to start a debate about which is better. Hound knows better (good Hound! pluto: ) People have just expressed their opinions about which one gives you an immersion into the true Disney spirit and appeals to them more for a vacation. Different strokes, ya know . . . ;-)

I agree, I never saw it as a debate or contest or anything more than a discussion. I love both WDW and DLR!

We just need a Don Shula's Steak House at DLR, that would be cool.

Hound 109
02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree, I never saw it as a debate or contest or anything more than a discussion. I love both WDW and DLR!

We just need a Don Shula's Steak House at DLR, that would be cool.

I felt like starting a thread once about this, but I'd love for a Shulas, a Brown Derby, a restaurant on top of the Bank (where you could watch the fireworks), & that retro place in MGM where Aunt Jane fusses at you for having elbows on the table & stuff......would ALL be great additions to DLR. (& I'd kill for some fish & chips like you get at that window in England)

(I'd also LOVE Expedition Everest, Mission Space & a World Showcase type thingy (but let's rotate the countries a little.....say Russia, Greece, Korea, Argentina etc. to go along with the others).

& I'm not debating.....just answering questions & offering opinions. DangerMouse knows that i bark.....but i don't bite. ;)

:dogdance:

hound - :goofy:

Leofoenget
02-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Book your own room, dont allow the Disney website to do it for you. There are many hotels across the street

OK just for an example, I checked out Desert Inn and Suites August 11-13 and Anaheim Plaza same days. Desert inn and suites you get a room for about $119 and Anaheim Plaza for $89 nite. (making up dates random middle of the month) You have tickets and both hotels are across the street. Trust me you can easily book a stay for WELL under $900!! Probably closer to $500 or less depending on how much you EAT!! Google "Hotels on Harbor Blvd"

http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/default.asp

Mrs. Bee
02-02-2008, 02:48 PM
On expedia you can search for hotels near a point of interest and type in Disneyland. It will tell you how close they are to the park.

We've stayed at the Anaheim Plaza twice for under $80 a night and although it's nothing fancy, it's a fine hotel if you're mainly sleeping there. The pool was great last summer when there were record high temps. A nice afternoon break from the parks.

The Anabella is nearby and also quite nice. My entire extended family stayed there for a week when they were in town for our wedding. I think the rooms are a little more pricey than the Anaheim Plaza.

If you're going to have a car, check and see how much the hotel charges for parking. At the anaheim plaza I think it was $4 a day. But I believe at the Anabella it was more...maybe $10 a day or something.

Albort
02-02-2008, 02:50 PM
The Cost of Living is actually a lot higher here at Disneyland than at WDW. I also know that Disneyland CMs do get paid more then WDW CMs.

HydroGuy
02-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I also have to take exception to the immersion comments in this thread. At least partially. First, the way WDW vets talk about immersion (and define it) results in WDW being more immersive. And I know what they mean and agree with it.

But on the other hand, DLR also offers immersion. But of a different kind. Yes, you are in the middle of a large SoCal city at DLR. However, you are also right across the street from the parks where you can clearly see them (and hear them - especially during fireworks shows.)

While I did feel immersed at WDW, I also felt like there was a barrier between me and the parks. There seemed to be so much time and hassle involved in getting to them. WDW vets take this in stride and do not usually see it as a big negative. But DLR vets will often see things differently. So at WDW I felt immersed while also feeling distant.

At DLR we stay right across the street, and the parks are constantly within visual and audio reach for the entire trip.

Finally, DLR tends to have longer park hours with much easier park hopping. Plus if one stays at a closeby hotel DLR has almost zero transportation time. The result is that it is easier to spend more hours of each day actually inside the park at DLR. When I looked back at my trip reports I found that we spend 11-12 hours of each day inside one of the DLR parks. At WDW it was about 5-8 hours per day.

If you add up the close hotels at DLR and how it is easier to spend more hours per day inside the parks, DLR has its own kind of immersion. Not the kind that WDW vets discuss, but still a genuine kind of immersion. Day trippers at DLR will not sense this kind of immersion at DLR. I was a DLR day tripper for most of my life and now know that overnighting it results in a different and (to my mind) much better experience.

keishashadow
02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't know why there's so much debating about whether DLR or WDW is a better resort. I haven't been to California yet but I look at them as two completely different vacations. I don't want DLR to turn into WDW and vice versa.

I'm really happy to hear about this! So, does this mean that we can exchange our 2 days that we have left at WDW for admission to DLR? (We have the no expiration and hopper options.) That would shave off some of the cost for us.

yes, but you don't exchange your tixs per se...just hand them to CM in tix booth & they check/call WDW to make sure they are valid & will remove 1 day from your MYW tix.

Then you'd repeat it the next day & so on...

we just decided that since we had planned on catching the monrail in a day or so & EE/MM; it might just be too big of a pain since the $ factor wasn't all that much.

to the OP, gotcha on the 1 day tix w/pkgs when having APs:thumbsup2 .

:idea: you might want to call WDW & ask to find out if it can be done without actually appearing @ WDW gates 1st. Know in the past I was able to exchange MNSSHP tix for a different date, all i had to do was mail them to their office in Celebration and the replacement tix came quickly.

Mrs. Bee
02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I also have to take exception to the immersion comments in this thread. At least partially. First, the way WDW vets talk about immersion (and define it) results in WDW being more immersive. And I know what they mean and agree with it.

But on the other hand, DLR also offers immersion. But of a different kind. Yes, you are in the middle of a large SoCal city at DLR. However, you are also right across the street from the parks where you can clearly see them (and hear them - especially during fireworks shows.)

While I did feel immersed at WDW, I also felt like there was a barrier between me and the parks. There seemed to be so much time and hassle involved in getting to them. WDW vets take this in stride and do not usually see it as a big negative. But DLR vets will often see things differently. So at WDW I felt immersed while also feeling distant.

At DLR we stay right across the street, and the parks are constantly within visual and audio reach for the entire trip.

Finally, DLR tends to have longer park hours with much easier park hopping. Plus if one stays at a closeby hotel DLR has almost zero transportation time. The result is that it is easier to spend more hours of each day actually inside the park at DLR. When I looked back at my trip reports I found that we spend 11-12 hours of each day inside one of the DLR parks. At WDW it was about 5-8 hours per day.

If you add up the close hotels at DLR and how it is easier to spend more hours per day inside the parks, DLR has its own kind of immersion. Not the kind that WDW vets discuss, but still a genuine kind of immersion. Day trippers at DLR will not sense this kind of immersion at DLR. I was a DLR day tripper for most of my life and now know that overnighting it results in a different and (to my mind) much better experience.

Are you referring to me or someone else in this thread as a WDW vet? Not sure if you're talking about me or not. But I wouldn't call myself a WDW vet at all. I went there when I was 6, 10, 14, and then this year. Disneyland I didn't go to until I was 23 but since then I've been there over 200 times. My hubby even proposed to me there.

Both WDW and Disneyland are fabulous for different reasons.

LisainCalifornia
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I always feel totally immersed in Disney when we go, but it is very important to us to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. (We did stay at the Grand California once, but it wasn't the same, so we went back to the DLH then next visit) We go a few times a year and when we walk through those doors and hear the music and check into "our" Disneyland Hotel--there is nothing like that feeling. The kids watch the Disney TV while we get our room assignment and check in--and it is everything--the smells, the look, how Goofy always is there to greet us, the CM's that work at the hotel. We get settled into our room always the Dreams tower--upper pool or resort view---flop on the beds, turn on the Disney channel, look out the windows...it is pure excitement for us. Then we all get ready to go into the park, taking that fun walk to the monorail through downtown Disney. The monorail is also part of the experience for us--with that classic announcement....

"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"
and "You are now entering tomorrowland..."

Once we get off and play for a while, it is so easy to hop back on the monorail and go back up to our room to change for dinner. Then it is off to eat at Goofy's Kitchen, and then back to the park for more rides and the fireworks. Tired but happy, we leave the park--making the fast walk back through downtown Disney to our hotel--and if we are lucky there is a plate of Mickey cookies and milk waiting for us there! (That happened the last three times we have gone--we are on a roll!).

To us the hotel is an important part of the experience, but I know that is probably unique to our family. I still get that same rush when we pull up and I see those big doors opening for us--I think I will always feel that way, even when my kids are grown and it is just me and hubby going.:love:

Mrs. Bee
02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm sure the experience is quite different if you're able to stay at a Disneyland resort. We are not able to do that.

LisainCalifornia
02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Oh yes--and the cost difference is because of the cost of living difference between California and Florida. I am a native Californian, so it doesn't phase me a bit, but I can see how it would to others.

Take care,
Lisa

Mrs. Bee
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Oh yes--and the cost difference is because of the cost of living difference between California and Florida. I am a native Californian, so it doesn't phase me a bit, but I can see how it would to others.

Take care,
Lisa

i lived in orange, california for a year and a half and that was long enough...haha. i'm a midwestern gal. (cost of living is insane in socal! example: a 500 square foot house for $400,000 is not cool. i'm glad i can afford a nice house in the midwest....haha.)

the prices of food and stuff in the parks was a bit higher but not too much. i did notice a slight difference though.

LisainCalifornia
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I know, it is pretty darn ridiculous! Where I live in the Bay Area a million dollars will buy you a modest little hovel. As a matter of fact. I told my husband after we bought our house I was going to embroider a sampler to go over the front door "hovel sweet hovel". But it is home to us, and it would feel strange to live anywhere else.

Going to Disneyland is sort of a good value for us, compared to our other trips we have taken (like to Maui) because we can drive or fly for very little. My husband's family all lives in Southern California (near Palos Verdes) so we often stay at the Disneyland Hotel for a few days after we are done visiting them as a little capper to the vacation. We are going to visit them in April, and I am trying to figure out away to approach my husband about doing just this! We just went in December, so I am not sure if he will be up for it, but I always am!

Take care,
Lisa
P.S. I have never been to the Midwest, but would love to visit one day!

PrincessBelle39
02-03-2008, 02:51 AM

I'm not the original poster or the one you directed the question to. But wanted to comment anyway. I have been to both and find DLR much more of a magical experience than WDW. I found DL to be a more (not sure what word to use) enveloping Disney experience than WDW. WDW was amazing but I didn't find it quite as magical as DLR.

HonestAbe
02-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I think DL is so much more expensive because the number of rooms in the area still dont come close to the capacity of the parks. It forces folks to stay at more geographically dispersed locations rather than within walking distance of the park. The farther out you go, the price drops exponentially. Keep in mind though that some of the hotels that are in Anaheim but farther out are very shady and run down. I've had it happen to me 2x in the past... At WDW there's plenty of room for expansion to ensure rooms match park capacity. But I was blown away at the prices for WDW. The budget rooms have gone up substantially. For the first time, we are planning on staying off site for our stay.

fairycat
02-03-2008, 05:37 AM
I think DL is so much more expensive because the number of rooms in the area still dont come close to the capacity of the parks. It forces folks to stay at more geographically dispersed locations rather than within walking distance of the park. The farther out you go, the price drops exponentially. Keep in mind though that some of the hotels that are in Anaheim but farther out are very shady and run down. I've had it happen to me 2x in the past... At WDW there's plenty of room for expansion to ensure rooms match park capacity. But I was blown away at the prices for WDW. The budget rooms have gone up substantially. For the first time, we are planning on staying off site for our stay.

Actually this is not completely true. Comparing hotel to hotel both parks are actually about the same price.

Some one said that the price OP posted of $1300 for two nights for 4, was with tickets. That was for a Disney owned hotel (GCH or DLH) both would compare to a Deluxe at WDW.

I went in October with 2 people and stayed at the Poly for three nights with tickets (not even the best ones) for $1800. So if you actually look at it, I probably paid slightly more for my trip to WDW then the OP would for DL.

If you are comparing the Mods or Values at WDW to GCH or DLH at DLR of course its going to cost much more. But as many have even mentioned on this thread there are some very nice places to stay across the street for DLR that you could actually pay less then a Value at WDW. Because Anaheim is designed for tourists it is actually very nice and the hotels along Harbor are pretty nice. I have stayed at several down the street for events and both were of excellent quality. One was more expensive at $140 a night, the other next door was $80 a night and the only difference was a better lobby in the expensive place. But they were definetly driving distance.

Just like anywhere, you get hotels of all different qualities and prices and reviews very much come in handy.

HydroGuy
02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Are you referring to me or someone else in this thread as a WDW vet? Not sure if you're talking about me or not. But I wouldn't call myself a WDW vet at all. I went there when I was 6, 10, 14, and then this year. Disneyland I didn't go to until I was 23 but since then I've been there over 200 times. My hubby even proposed to me there.

Both WDW and Disneyland are fabulous for different reasons.I was referring to your comments about immersion which WDW vets often bring up when describing then overall experience at WDW vs DLR. As I described in my post I think there is an immersive experience at DLR that is often overlooked. It sounded from your post that all or most of your DLR visits were day trips. No problem with that except that IMO it is a different experience than staying at DLR for 3-4 days. Whether you yourself are a WDW vet was not relevant to the points I was making.

Mrs. Bee
02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Day trips? Yes. I took a "day trip" from Iowa last November. And last August. Riiight. I only lived in socal temporarily (THANK GOD.) While many of my trips to disneyland were "day trips" because we did live nearby they weren't just like a trip to the grocery store or something. I loved each and every visit we made to the park. You can get immersed in Disney at DL but just not as much as at WDW, in my opinion.

I have never stayed at a hotel on Disneyland property though. I can't rationalize spending over $200 a night on a room I'll barely be in. But that's just me.

tidefan
02-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I was referring to your comments about immersion which WDW vets often bring up when describing then overall experience at WDW vs DLR. As I described in my post I think there is an immersive experience at DLR that is often overlooked. It sounded from your post that all or most of your DLR visits were day trips. No problem with that except that IMO it is a different experience than staying at DLR for 3-4 days. Whether you yourself are a WDW vet was not relevant to the points I was making.

Hey Trey, we corresponded in a thread awhile back where I started to write some info about WDW. Anyway, we are definitely the type that like to be immersed, so I am glad to say that we will be in SoCal for a conference in July and have booked DLH for 4 nights to do the park before we head off to our conference. We'll be in the parks on a Monday-Wednesday. 2 questions:

1) Will the crowds be horrible since it's July, or will it be OK being on a Mon-Wed?

2) I know that Aladdin doesn't play everyday. Will it be playing on July 7-9?

Thanks and looking forward to a great DLR trip (FYI, I am one that thinks all trips, whether WDW, DLR, DLP, DCL, etc. are all very awesome in their own regards...)

heatherleigh
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I was not aware of the price difference being that way. I'm glad I know now! I've always just assumed WDW would be more expensive. I have not been there as an adult, so I wouldn't know. This is interesting information though.

Of course we save a lot by driving (we live in NM) but maybe the cost of flights for my family would even it out to where it wouldn't cost much more. I may look into DW for our vacation this fall. We will have a new baby by then, so driving may not be the better bet anyway.

TravelingJen24
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I think another thing to look into is the fact that the trip is scheduled in August. Although school is out in both places, a trip to CA in August does not make you squirm because of the heat. it is definitely warm, but being from CA, the thought of going to WDW in Aug. sounds miserable to me. I think the prices are often affected by this as well. WDW has to deal with the fact that weather is going to affect people's decision to come there and they need to have better promos at this time of the year. In LA, summer is huge and along with DL, people have the beach amongst other things to do. Therefore, the prices are higher and they don't have to elicit people to come. Don't get me wrong, I understand why people go to WDW during the summer, for school breaks and such, but it affects prices. Good luck and I'm sure you will find something better.

HydroGuy
02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Day trips? Yes. I took a "day trip" from Iowa last November. And last August. Riiight. I only lived in socal temporarily (THANK GOD.) While many of my trips to disneyland were "day trips" because we did live nearby they weren't just like a trip to the grocery store or something. I loved each and every visit we made to the park. You can get immersed in Disney at DL but just not as much as at WDW, in my opinion.

I have never stayed at a hotel on Disneyland property though. I can't rationalize spending over $200 a night on a room I'll barely be in. But that's just me.So have you ever done a 3+ day trip to DLR where you stayed at a walking distance hotel? If not, then comparing immersion for multi-day trips at WDW to single day trips at DLR is not a fair comparison.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that DLR is more immersive or even equally immersive as WDW. I am saying it is immersive in a different way than WDW and lots of people - especially WDW vets - do not fully understand this.

HydroGuy
02-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey Trey, we corresponded in a thread awhile back where I started to write some info about WDW. Anyway, we are definitely the type that like to be immersed, so I am glad to say that we will be in SoCal for a conference in July and have booked DLH for 4 nights to do the park before we head off to our conference. We'll be in the parks on a Monday-Wednesday. 2 questions:

1) Will the crowds be horrible since it's July, or will it be OK being on a Mon-Wed?

2) I know that Aladdin doesn't play everyday. Will it be playing on July 7-9?Horrible crowds? Well, everyone's tolerance is different. It will be crowded but IMO manageable. Especially if you are smart about how you tour.

If you have not yet seen it, lots of people have benefitted from this post of mine:

"Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319)

Aladdin is dark on Mon/Tue year round. Plan to see it on Wednesday.

Have a great trip. :)

tidefan
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Horrible crowds? Well, everyone's tolerance is different. It will be crowded but IMO manageable. Especially if you are smart about how you tour.

If you have not yet seen it, lots of people have benefitted from this post of mine:

"Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319)

Aladdin is dark on Mon/Tue year round. Plan to see it on Wednesday.

Have a great trip. :)

Thanks for the link. You have a great trip to AKL as well. I think that you will find the experience there very different than the one you experienced at Fort Wilderness...

Also, if you have some extra time, you need to tour the various resorts at WDW, they are almost as fun as the parks themselves (IMHO)...

Mrs. Bee
02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
So have you ever done a 3+ day trip to DLR where you stayed at a walking distance hotel? If not, then comparing immersion for multi-day trips at WDW to single day trips at DLR is not a fair comparison.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that DLR is more immersive or even equally immersive as WDW. I am saying it is immersive in a different way than WDW and lots of people - especially WDW vets - do not fully understand this.

Yes. Most recently last August and last November. Sadly I will probably not be making another trip until this November. We stay within a 10 minute walk to the parks.

HydroGuy
02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the link. You have a great trip to AKL as well. I think that you will find the experience there very different than the one you experienced at Fort Wilderness...

Also, if you have some extra time, you need to tour the various resorts at WDW, they are almost as fun as the parks themselves (IMHO)...Thanks. We are looking forward to it. The FW cabins were fun. We ended up there because of our family size of six (limits options at Disney for sure), DW's desire to have a full kitchen, and a last minute schedule change for the trip which left us no other on property options. This trip only part of the family is going so we can squeeze into an AKL room. :)

tidefan
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks. We are looking forward to it. The FW cabins were fun. We ended up there because of our family size of six (limits options at Disney for sure), DW's desire to have a full kitchen, and a last minute schedule change for the trip which left us no other on property options. This trip only part of the family is going so we can squeeze into an AKL room. :)
With your family size, have you considered renting points from a DVC member to get a 2-Bedroom villa. The ones at OKW are 1400 square feet, which should be plenty for a family of 6. Also, there are DVC Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so you can get a 2-Bedroom there now as well. I think that you will find the hotel experience much better, not that FW is bad, because it's not, but the hotels in a way are extensions of the parks at WDW. One thing to note (IMPORTANT) is that most of the best places to eat in WDW are at the Resorts, NOT in the parks (the notable exception being EPCOT). Also, and I am sure that you know this, but you can start making your ADR's at 180 days in advance.

As you can see, we are DVC members and one of the other things that we are looking forward to seeing at DLR is any models of the Grand Californian Villas that they are building.

Lastly, I know that the cost for the cruises this summer is astronomical, but if you haven't done DCL, then I would highly suggest it. We just got back from the Magic last week (our first DCL cruise) and really, really loved it. It is 100% Disney, but very different than the park experience. Of course, as I said, with the costs being so astronomical for the Mexican Riviera cruises, it may be cheaper to just fly to Florida and do one from Port Canaveral. Plus, you would get the added bonus of getting to go to Castaway Cay, which is one of the best Disney places ever... period...

You just don't get this view in very many places:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g253/bradcass/DSC_0294.jpg

bumbershoot
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM

I only read part of the first page, and then this 4th page, so I might be not totally understanding where these questions came from, but I wanted to comment on immersion.

Our first two trips to DLR as adults were one-day trips up from San Diego. They were fun, but I barely got a chance to look around, and certainly didn't feel like I was really IN Disneyland. So hectic! Fun but hectic.

Then last September we stayed 4 nights at PPH and 2 at HoJo. As I've stated too many times here, we walked in the too-long route from PP, and ended up going ALL the way through DTD. We felt that was awful, and I can't imagine doing the walk from DLH in. Going through DTD put us into a commerce state of mind, not a fun-happy-joy state of mind. But I also don't like coming in right to Tomorrowland (must have the entrance gates!) so skipping DTD and just going on the monorail wasn't a good option for us either.

When we moved to HoJo, we came in what I feel is the "proper" way, from the Harbor entrance, to the security check area, and instead of being surrounded by shoppers, we were surrounded by fellow DL/DCA goers, and it was so much more fun! We felt "into" Disney from as soon as we saw other people walking down Harbor, and going into the parks from that direction was so much better.

But in December we stayed on Katella, and went the way we *should* have gone from the PPH, taking us through GCH. I liked that better, but the GCH reminds me of what I think the Paradise Hotel at Mt Rainier looks like, and if I'm going to stay at a hotel looking that way, I'd better have Rainier right there! :) Then of course you are still plunked in shopper's paradise of the last bits of DTD (assuming you either can't find the special DCA entrance or are going straight to DL).

A week ago I stayed offsite again, at Carousel, and once again felt immersed as soon as I got to the sidewalk on Harbor, and once again was smiling as I walked in that "proper" way, totally one with the Disney experience.

So for me, staying OFF site at DLR helps me be immersed.

I can't compare anything to WDW (yet), but I just thought I wanted to add my own (possibly totally unique, LOL) thoughts on on vs off site and immersion at DLR. :upsidedow

Mrs. Bee
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
With your family size, have you considered renting points from a DVC member to get a 2-Bedroom villa. The ones at OKW are 1400 square feet, which should be plenty for a family of 6. Also, there are DVC Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so you can get a 2-Bedroom there now as well. I think that you will find the hotel experience much better, not that FW is bad, because it's not, but the hotels in a way are extensions of the parks at WDW. One thing to note (IMPORTANT) is that most of the best places to eat in WDW are at the Resorts, NOT in the parks (the notable exception being EPCOT). Also, and I am sure that you know this, but you can start making your ADR's at 180 days in advance.

As you can see, we are DVC members and one of the other things that we are looking forward to seeing at DLR is any models of the Grand Californian Villas that they are building.

Lastly, I know that the cost for the cruises this summer is astronomical, but if you haven't done DCL, then I would highly suggest it. We just got back from the Magic last week (our first DCL cruise) and really, really loved it. It is 100% Disney, but very different than the park experience. Of course, as I said, with the costs being so astronomical for the Mexican Riviera cruises, it may be cheaper to just fly to Florida and do one from Port Canaveral. Plus, you would get the added bonus of getting to go to Castaway Cay, which is one of the best Disney places ever... period...

We went to the bahamas and to the beach where they actually filmed the pirates of the caribbean movies. if we'd walked down the beach a little farther, we could have seen the actual ships from the movie. but we didn't know they were still there. Grr. Still a great place though.

stagemomx3
02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Then last September we stayed 4 nights at PPH and 2 at HoJo. As I've stated too many times here, we walked in the too-long route from PP, and ended up going ALL the way through DTD. We felt that was awful, and I can't imagine doing the walk from DLH in. Going through DTD put us into a commerce state of mind, not a fun-happy-joy state of mind. But I also don't like coming in right to Tomorrowland (must have the entrance gates!) so skipping DTD and just going on the monorail wasn't a good option for us either.

When we moved to HoJo, we came in what I feel is the "proper" way, from the Harbor entrance, to the security check area, and instead of being surrounded by shoppers, we were surrounded by fellow DL/DCA goers, and it was so much more fun! We felt "into" Disney from as soon as we saw other people walking down Harbor, and going into the parks from that direction was so much better.

I disagree! I love walking through DTD, that feels like the "proper" Disney entrance. DTD is fabulous and feels totally Disney to me. I love having a DTD view from the Grand Californian I feel like I never leave Disney that way.

The Harbor walk just feels wrong, seeing all the closed and shut up buildings in the area and how run down everything is. I'd just rather stay in the Disney bubble!

MommytoaSweetie
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Oh man, that's so beautiful!! We've only done one cruise (with Royal Caribbean, and we LOVED it), but we can't wait to take our DD (and future kids) on a cruise for the first time, that will definitely have to be with DCL. It looks awesome!

HydroGuy
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes. Most recently last August and last November. Sadly I will probably not be making another trip until this November. We stay within a 10 minute walk to the parks.OK, that clarifies. I wasn't sure from your posts.

If you feel WDW is more immersive (I think that is what you said many posts ago) then that is fine. Most people do. I have agreed with that but added that for me personally I felt that within WDW immersion I felt a barrier that I do not feel at DLR. That does not mean it was a huge negative, it was just there. At DLR I always feel like I am practically in the parks the entire time I am there.

I also agree that the WDW/DLR experiences are different and it is tricky to make comparisons. Now that I know my way around WDW to some degree I am looking forward to a second trip and being able to "experience" it more as opposed to the last trip where a lot of time was devoted just to finding our way around.

bumbershoot
02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
The Harbor walk just feels wrong, seeing all the closed and shut up buildings in the area and how run down everything is. I'd just rather stay in the Disney bubble!

What is closed and shut up? All I see are hotels! And happy people on their way to that big ol' sign. And CMs going to and getting off work, and I always smile to them.

I think you must like shopping more than I do, b/c DTD just bugs me mainly. Especially with my 3 year old who drove us batty every morning and evening with the "I want its". :) We took to practically putting a blackout blanket over him as we passed the Lego store, LOL.

shaycamp21
02-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow. I didn't mean to start a debate. I just wanted to find a way to spend a couple days at DL without paying a King's ransom since this trip is just a little extra before we head to Hawaii on our cruise. Thank you to everyone for all the great tips:goodvibes . As much as I love WDW, Disneyland is where the magic began for me and I can't wait to experience it again, this time with my girls. :lovestruc

I would love to stay at the DLH or GC but then we'd have to nix Hawaii. We don't mind staying in economical places (as long as they are clean) if it means we can do more. The last couple of years because we stayed in values at WDW we also got to go on DCL cruises. Which is an experience I also highly recommend--going on a DCL cruise. All the magic of Disney is there but at a more relaxed pace. If you have kids you'll appreciate the cruise even more because you'll get some alone time because the kids clubs are amazing--they really don't want to be with you. Picture this--lying on a beach with crystal clear blue water slipping a pina coloda just after you've hugged Mickey Mouse--it's a pretty great way to vacation.:beach:

Hound 109
02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I was not aware of the price difference being that way. I'm glad I know now! I've always just assumed WDW would be more expensive. I have not been there as an adult, so I wouldn't know. This is interesting information though.

Of course we save a lot by driving (we live in NM) but maybe the cost of flights for my family would even it out to where it wouldn't cost much more. I may look into DW for our vacation this fall. We will have a new baby by then, so driving may not be the better bet anyway.

You're right, it's cheaper to stay at value or moderate resort in WDW for 2 days than it is to stay at a deluxe resort at DLR for 2 days. I think that what was indicated by the OP & is all that one could definitively take as fact.

For your possible trip, DLR may or may not be less expensive than WDW...it would depend...on alot of variables.

Hound 109
02-03-2008, 10:30 PM
What is closed and shut up? All I see are hotels! And happy people on their way to that big ol' sign. And CMs going to and getting off work, and I always smile to them.

I think you must like shopping more than I do, b/c DTD just bugs me mainly. Especially with my 3 year old who drove us batty every morning and evening with the "I want its". :) We took to practically putting a blackout blanket over him as we passed the Lego store, LOL.

My experience staying at the Fairfield was identical to bumbershoot. What on earth is "closed & shut up"??

However, if i can score an AP rate at a DLR hotel, then i prefer to stay at one so:

- I can enjoy EE/MM multiple days.
- I can walk & eat (not shop ;) thru DTD.
- I can easily sneak thru the supersecret entrance into DCA from GCH.
- I'm a tiny bit more "immersed".

If i can't score a room for under $200 though, I'm happy to stay on Harbor & walk 5-7 min. to the gates & DTD. & will be immersed.

stagemomx3
02-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I just remember driving past old restaurants board up, empty lots with weeds in them, everything looking grungy.

We didn't shop much in DTD at all I just really like the atmosphere of it.

The only store we actually shopped in was World of Disney and that was on our last day. The rest of the time we just strolled through there. I thought it looked magical at night.

Mrs. Bee
02-04-2008, 12:23 AM
OK, that clarifies. I wasn't sure from your posts.

If you feel WDW is more immersive (I think that is what you said many posts ago) then that is fine. Most people do. I have agreed with that but added that for me personally I felt that within WDW immersion I felt a barrier that I do not feel at DLR. That does not mean it was a huge negative, it was just there. At DLR I always feel like I am practically in the parks the entire time I am there.

I also agree that the WDW/DLR experiences are different and it is tricky to make comparisons. Now that I know my way around WDW to some degree I am looking forward to a second trip and being able to "experience" it more as opposed to the last trip where a lot of time was devoted just to finding our way around.

Yeah...I'd like to head about to WDW sometime in the near future. I found myself thinking, "Disneyland has a much better layout." But then I realized I probably think that beacuse I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times so I know my way around that park really well. It felt more comfortable and whatnot. I could look at a line and know how long it would take. I knew the best route to get everywhere. I couldn't do any of that at WDW. We were finally getting the hang of everything when it was time to leave...haha.