PDA

View Full Version : Help From Former Candy Cane Inn Guests, Please!

calypso*a*go-go
01-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Can you please tell me what is in the immediate vicinity as far as restaurants and groceries? I saw on some previous threads that there is a small market and a 7-11 (which my Slurpee lovin' children will be thrilled about!), and also saw some photos posted on Tripadvisor that looked like there was a Subway sandwich shop in the background. Any other fast food restaurants or places closeby to get cases of water, snacks, or light meals? We won't have a car, so everything needs to be within walking distance.

Also, are there any room locations that might be preferable to others? We've never stayed there before and their price was a bit higher than some of the other hotels we were considering, but I booked anyway because it always receives such high ratings. Hopefully we won't be the exception!

wowsmom
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
There's a Mexican restaurant across the street on Harbor that was good when we went there about 18 months ago.

As far as room location, we've stayed on both sides and in the back and all the locations were fine. I guess if noise bothered you, you might not want to be close to the front. :confused3

The only problem we ever had was somebody smoking in the adjoining (non-smoking) room - the smoke was coming under the connecting door, which was closed, into our room. We called the front desk and they immediately offered to move us to a different room. They even offered to help move our stuff. :cool2:

calypso*a*go-go
01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks wowsmom! The hotel is supposed to be entirely non-smoking now...but I'm sure there's always someone that doesn't adhere to the policy. It's good to hear they tried to correct the situation for you, but it's a shame the offending party wasn't the one that had to move (like onto the street!).

Hopefully I'll have a few more people chime in with info. about the resort. :thumbsup2

wowsmom
01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, they were in the process of moving towards all non-smoking last time we stayed there. I think they only had maybe 7 or 8 smoking rooms at that point. It was just MY luck to end up next to a room where somebody wasn't supposed to be smoking, but they were. :rolleyes1

jocotter
01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
The hotel is a horseshoe shape. As you face the back of the hotel, there is a room on the very far right hand corner that is in a dark hall area. It has a very bright light outside the window because the dark hall area is where the maintenance closet is. We didn't liket that room and had to hang blankets up to keep out the light at night. We also could hear them getting in the closet, too, at various times late at night and early in the morning. They were fully booked and couldn't move us.

So this year, I called ahead of time and asked that I not be placed in the back corners and asked to be placed on the sides, which was MUCH better.

Sally_fan
01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
We stayed there last May & loved it. We had a premium room on the 2nd floor along the back of the "horseshoe". It was lovely. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful & the staff was wonderful. We did have a vehicle so I didn't pay too much attention to what was around but we did use the little store next door quite often for drinks & whatnot. They seemed to carry quite an assortment of stuff. We ordered pizza to our room one night & there is a little strip mall right across the street but I can not recall what it had in it. Maybe someone else knows?

ter-moo
01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
In the strip mall across the street, there's a Subway, a donut shop and a Chinese place, I think.

Down the street towards DL and on the other side of the street, there's a Quizno's, a McDonald's, an IHOP, and a Coldstone Creamery going in soon!

I've stayed there three times. Every time, I've been on the left side, bottom floor as you face the horseshoe. This last time (last weekend) we were directly across from the pool in Room 114., which was convenient for walking in/out of hotel area (since we were near the front) and to the breakfast room and bus stop, too.

HOWEVER, we were also right by a stairway, and it did get noisy sometimes.

This was the first time we'd had a standard room (since there were only 2 of us.) One disadvantage of the smaller room is that the vanity area is IN the bathroom, rather than OUTSIDE the bathroom. The deluxe and premium both have the outside vanity.

Here are some room pics:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/termoo/IMG_0441.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/termoo/IMG_0443.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/termoo/IMG_0444.jpg

calypso*a*go-go
02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Hmmm -- I'm wondering if we should upgrade to the deluxe or premium room. There will be four of us crammed in there...well, at least we've got queen beds instead of the doubles we usually end up with @ WDW!