PDA

View Full Version : Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

micmacmissy
01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Just wondering what the moms of little girls out there think of this...on the one hand, I think the BBB is a stroke of marketing genius for Disney....but the mother in me is a little disheartened, seeing all those little girls with their faces covered in makeup and glitter.

Is this harmless fun, or sending little girls the wrong message? Don't flame, just wondering if anyone felt the same way?

leanan
01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
I hate the pageants as well. However I see BBB as Princess Fun. That is what little girls want the most at Disney. It is about letting them live a fantasy for the day or a few days.

I must admit I am not too fond of the make up. You do not need that to be Princessy. Getting your hair done and wearing the costume is superb. The make up should be reserved for the preteens and teenagers. That is normal for them to experiment with. I hate seeing the make up on two and three year olds.

crzyred
01-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Can't stand it! I'm sorry but, honestly, the kids do not look that cute.

RACHELSMOM1
01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
If you don't like it, don't look. If you have little girls, don't take them if you don't want to. Nobody is being forced to do the BBB. For goodness sakes, it is Disney - Fantasy reigns here!!

Cree629
01-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think it's creepy at all-- it's just pure magic for those girls, and isn't that what Disney is al about? We took our almost three year old last week and she was so excited. The makeup, I must say, was very light. It was just about completely worn off within an hour. It was just a tiny bit of glittery color to add to the magic when they turned her around in that chair and she got to see herself.

Now, put all those girls up on a stage and start judging them against one another to see who is the cutest, and, yeah, that'd be creepy. But I think it's just Disney magic and good, clean fun.

mom2zandjsquared
01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
I plan to do it for DD's 3rd b-day but just the hair even though I will have paid for the make-up but I don't need her getting hives from it since she has super sensitive skin.

Girls young and old alike love to be the princess for a day and this is so much fun for them, I think it is fun not pageant creepy and believe me I know pageant creepy since I did pageants as a child.

perkinsrose
01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't wear makeup typical days and don't include it in my dd6's playthings but she will be going to BBB this month. We'll go light on the makeup and enjoy the experience, nails & sash. Not sure we'll do it again but know she'll enjoy the special treatment and the ambiance.

On a day-to-day level, we spend time on other things and IMO want my DD to value and be recognized for her character and personaility --not her appearance.

krismom
01-31-2008, 01:46 PM
my vote is creepy- we were there in August and the girls looked miserable! The make up was sticky and the one ahead of us line kept saying her "hair hurt". To each his own though- but I will miss the cool castle store that was there before the Boutique took over!

klj27
01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
My daughter would have loved it when she was little, but I am glad she was already ten when they started it. I vote for creepy.

plutojudy
01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Creepy.
I am surprised thay aren't doing tatoos for little boys in the Pirate area. They are missing another money-maker.

ChristaDeVil
01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I think it can borderline on creepy/pagenty, but I know the little girls love it. I have a little boy, so I really don't get a say in the matter...especially since the husband said that I'm too old to get an Ariel makeover. :)

PrincessTiffany
01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
my vote is creepy- we were there in August and the girls looked miserable! The make up was sticky and the one ahead of us line kept saying her "hair hurt". To each his own though- but I will miss the cool castle store that was there before the Boutique took over!
I agree. We were there in September and had reservations for all three of our girls at BBB, but after being there for a few days in the blinding, terrible, miserable HEAT, we cancelled it. We saw a couple of different little girls in line who had the works done and were complaining about their head hurting from the hairdo. Also saw a lot of sweaty little girls with make-up streaming down their faces - heck, by 10:30 a.m. I had sweated off all of my make-up! The ones I felt the worse for were the ones who were in the princess gear, plastic shoes and all, all day in the terrible heat. I can't even imagine someone dragging me around the parks all day in terrible heat in a nylon full-length dress and plastic high heel shoes! That's more like a punishment than a reward! lol. So I guess for us it really wasn't about cute vs. creepy. It seemed like a waste of money. Luckily, it was going to be a surprise so I never really hyped it up to them, if I had I'm sure we would have went ahead with it - the hair and make-up that is, not the dresses, it was just tooooooo hot!

SkyGirl
01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Mostly creepy.
We were there in December and a group of little girls who were next to us watching the parade were all complaining that their heads hurt, that the woman who did their hair had yanked it too hard. And on top of that -- they smelled awful! Whatever type of hairspray they use to hold their hair .... it is just so strong. :sick: Funny thing was as soon as Mom left to go shop, the little girls started taking out the ribbons and clips and bows and other hair, and their dad insisted he was not involved!

Villainess
01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I think it is just good Disney fun - a dream come true for little girls who love dress up and the princesses. I don't know much about pageant stuff - I don't like pageants little miss whatever or miss america.

haley123
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
BBB is fun only. I don't think that there is anything creepy about it.

tmkdmom
01-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Dont' think it's creepy, but my daughter did it last week and HATED it! She said she wanted to be her "old self". She won't even look at the pictures. I will say that we did get some rolling eyes from Downtown Disney to Epcot(where we had lunch" and to those people I say....Mind your own BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

FFXDSNADDICT
01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
BBB was the first thing I thought about when the Ultrasound Tech told me she was positive it was a boy... :lmao:
Im still torn on the creepy/not creepy idea of BBB, The makeup is so over the top,and I don't think young girls need that much makeup to be princesses. As far as the hair goes I was raised with a grandmother that would brush my hair into a ponytail and pull untill I didn't have ANY chickens so I don't think that it would have bothered me to have my hair done like that.
It's a really sweet idea but I think they need to make some changes before I'd ever let my daughter go there.

TLSnell1981
01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Most every little girl loves to play dress-up. How many little girls like to play with their mother's make-up? I know I did! My grandmother worked in a cosmetic department and I had lots of goodies to play with. I think some people take this way too seriously!

irene_dsc
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't say creepy, but I didn't choose to do it with my dd, 3.5. Largely because she is shy, and I didn't think she'd necessarily enjoy it. Fwiw, she usually won't let me do much more than a ponytail, tho she does enjoy having her hair done at daycare! (She sometimes comes home with her hair in pigtails or braids, nothing too complicated.) I do suspect she probably wouldn't let me keep her hair in a complicated updo for very long, also.

However, when we went to dinner at 1900 Park Fare, there were at least a few girls who had obviously been at BBB, and didn't seem to be bothered by their hair. But then, it was January, not July...

JulielovesDisney
01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I think it's cute, but I just don't think the hairstyles look like the kind the princesses wear. And they look soo tight. Just seeing the little girls walking past with those tight buns gives ME a headache.

I see it as harmless. I just think they can tone it down a little bit and still get the same effect.

MickeyNicki
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Sometimes cutesy but sometimes they go overboard and it looks stupid

MsStinkerBelle
01-31-2008, 06:27 PM
The BBB is pure fun! My DD has gone four times and neither of those did I think it was creepy. Mine even got to see the Fairy Godmother (the real deal) right after she had her session at the BBB! She got compliments wherever she went and we never got any disapproving looks. Then again, if someone had said something negative I don't hesitate to say, "Mind your own business".

I don't like pageants at all (just my personal preference) but I had no issues taking my daughter the BBB. She has fun and I have fun watching the priceless expression of joy on her face. The BBB gives me hives but I'm a Pixie at heart--not a Princess. ;)

PrincessNoelle'sMom
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
It's a matter of preference, just like everything else in this world! Don't focus too much on it and those who want to do it will and those who don't, won't. It is a fabulous experience for little girls and that is exactly how they are treated at BBB! It is not teaching them to "perform" like a paegent, it is just a way for them to feel extra special in an extra special place!

Geesh!!!!

DVC~OKW~96
01-31-2008, 06:33 PM
One of the differences between the BBB and playing dress up with Mother's clothes (and makeup) is that the dress up is done in the privacy of one's home.

The children clearly are living out a fantasy, and that really is what Disney is about. I do not think the clothing, makeup or hair tightly pulled on top of the child's head is particularly comfortable in the heat. The hair can't be comfortable at all. It's easy to do, so that is the style the BBB selected. It's not a princess hairstyle though.

The make up can be too much. I saw a three (?) year old over the weekend and she was made up for the stage. Clearly not something done at BBB, but given her shash, and hairdo, she'd been there. Someone else must have had the heavy hand with the makeup.

All in all it's not a huge issue for me. I'd not offer the exerience to any girl in my family, but if they asked, I'm not certain I'd feel comfortable refusing.

I would encourage them to have one of the cotton dresses though, or at least those that aren't 100% polyester with crinoline. I'd provide flat shoes (albeit pretty ones) over the plastic heels. That's just unhealthy.

I do often wonder why there isn't something comparable for little boys. What message is being sent? Girls are special, but boys aren't? Not sure I like that implicaton too much.

Couldn't be too hard to come up with a Prince Boutique or Pirate one. :confused3

_queenie_
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't think it's "creepy". The make-up is really just part of the experience of playing dress up. I think there's two different make-up phases, the dress up, princess make-up phase and the high school, trying to look grown up/sexy make-up phase. My DD13 was huge into that about until she was six, then it went away and really hasn't come back. This isn't Disney's first thing with it anyway, after all isn't face paint make-up too?

Disney Brat
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
DD went in Dec 06, when she was 3. She loved every second of it. They never went heavy on her make up, just a light eye shadow and a bit of gloss. She never complained about the hair, and has had me redo the hairdo quite a few times over the past year! She will be doing it again this upcomming October. I do agree that they seem to be going heavier on the make up lately though. This past weekend I did notice quite a few girls with very heavy make up, it just seemed a bit too much. Like pp's said, each to his own...I am sure it makes a lot of little girls dreams come true! (as well as giving a few headaches to some!~from the tight hairdo's~)

Minniemouse07
01-31-2008, 07:52 PM
My vote is creepy!

Dd (6.5yo) did just fine wearing her princess (and Minnie) dresses to various character meals w/o doing BBB beforehand.

If it was just hair/nails I would consider it but the makeup is inappropriate for the target age group IMO.

I didn't tell dd about it before we went but there were a lot of ads on buses as well as on the disneyworld channels on tv. We talked about it a bit but she wasn't overly interested.

We did see a lot of the girls walking around the parks. It is weird that they are ALL done up exactly the same way. One evening at the GF I ran into a young girl with her grandmother in the ladies room. They were wrapping her feet in cold paper towels to try and reduce the swelling. The poor kid's feet were bright red and swollen from her princess shoes. The grandmother was going off on the ridiculousness of wearing them all day in the parks!

Dd wore her Cindy dress w/ her pink Minnie crocs that night to dinner at 1900 Park Fare!

Dd and I are going to WDW in July for her birthday...I gave her a choice of doing BBB or another kid's pirate cruise...she picked the pirate cruise!

mb168
01-31-2008, 08:57 PM
We did the Pirates and Princess party last weekend and we took DD4 to BBB and she LOVED it. I have a writeup about it on my website with a short movie of her getting made up. She had the most awesome time getting made up and I think the pics came out beautiful.

disney111
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I think it's harmless fun.

TLSnell1981
01-31-2008, 09:08 PM
We did the Pirates and Princess party last weekend and we took DD4 to BBB and she LOVED it. I have a writeup about it on my website with a short movie of her getting made up. She had the most awesome time getting made up and I think the pics came out beautiful.

Your little princess looks adorable! Some are posting how tight their hair looks when pulled back. I would bet part of that look is products.

mb168
01-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes, it is gel and spray to get that look. My DD4 has very long hair for her age so that whole bun is all her. The lady's jaw dropped when she turned her around and saw how much hair she had.

Josh125
01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
It never crossed my mind as creepy, I think some people overthink things.

leanan
01-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Well you guys did good at something. You solved the delima of weather or not to take my Aspie DD10 to BBB. If the hair dos hurt she will turn hostile on the hair person so I will not be taking her. You saved me a good bit of money. Thanks guys. You rock.

leanan
01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
I do often wonder why there isn't something comparable for little boys. What message is being sent? Girls are special, but boys aren't? Not sure I like that implicaton too much.

Couldn't be too hard to come up with a Prince Boutique or Pirate one. :confused3

There is a boy BBB deal. It is glittery spiked hair. However I do not know if it is the same price as the low level girl package or what. Considering they get more than hair in theirs, it should be cheaper.

TLSnell1981
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Well you guys did good at something. You solved the delima of weather or not to take my Aspie DD10 to BBB. If the hair dos hurt she will turn hostile on the hair person so I will not be taking her. You saved me a good bit of money. Thanks guys. You rock.

Hair dos hurt??:confused3

Peepster
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I wonder whose fantasy it really is...the parent or the child? Not casting judgement, just posing a question. During our Christmas trip we saw many, many...(oh, think of all that money the Mouse was raking in) little girls who had experienced BBB. It seemed to us that the make up in almost all cases was applied with a trowel and for that reason we vote with the "creepy" crowd. Sure little girls love to play "dress up" but how about letting them do it at home for free and not putting them on display?

dreamer17555
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
See I don't think it is creepy but honestly it is one of those things DD6 will not be doing on our trip. Trust me she would say she would want to but the hair thing- she hates it when I tie her hair up for dance, I can't imagine her letting someone else do it.

My DD6 does Comp Dance. She auditioned at her studio and made the team, the make up they wear on stage (and the costumes) make me freak but she is happy, works hard, and understands that makeup in for Recital and Comp. Only. She doesn't own lipgloss and doesn't even have her ears pierced yet. Sometimes I feel mean, every other little girl in dance has their ears pierced and most of them walk around with purses with lipgloss and several have highlights put in but in the end that isn't okay in our home. If that makes me a mean mom so be it.

-Becca-

mb168
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
When we were there Saturday, it was a mad house. Our appt was for 4:50 but they were so backed up it was around 5:30 before we went back. They sat her in the chair and DD4 is very shy, but it only took her a moment to catch on. There was one lady behind her doing hair while another was in front doing lips, eyes, blush, and fingernails. Being the dad I'm sure I'm biased, but I don't think they over did the makeup at all. Now I did see other kids in the park that looked like clowns but they also give you the rest of the makeup that they used on you, so I would wonder if these kids used some of it. They used so little on my DD4 that I basically have full bottles of everything. A kids with these bottles and not much attention from a parent could easily go crazy with it. I also happen to think that there are some kids that just don't look like princesses and attempts shouldn't be made to make them look like one. Matter of the fact, the Snow White that was there Saturday was pretty scary looking herself and this was "professionally" applied makeup I'm assuming. You be the judge, but I'm imagining this to be closer to Raggedy Ann looking than a Princess.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/mb0168/Snow5.jpg

Twinprincesses
01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
I wish it was not as made up as it is. My girls are not into the hair or make up but I think they would like parts of it.

madfelice
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
It's just fun really. The kids aren't being paraded around and judged. Who doesn't like to dress up? As to the earlier comment about giving the boys pirate tattoos, haven't you ever seen temporary ones? Kids love those! That's all the BBB is really, a temporary thing. The kids aren't being done up like this all the time. Saying it's creep is like saying dressing up for Halloween with all the trimmings is creepy!

spoilmygurl
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
My DD7 will be going in May. She has no clue. She is a girly girl in every sense of the word which is a strange state to me as I was a tree climbing, fish catching, mud ball slinging tomboy. I don't know where she came from. :confused3

We set her appt for 8am, then we'll whisk off to take the pictures at the photo shoot, then go to breakfast at CP at 9:25am. Why anyone would let their little girl walk around the park in the blazing sun in a princess dress is beyond me. That's why we booked an early appt. So that by the time breakfast is over, she can change and put on her sneakers and comfy clothes.

I don't honestly think they just slap the makeup on all willy nilly. I'm sure if the parents really have a concern, you can tell them "light" makeup. She went to glamour shots at 5 and I told them only clear mascara and lip gloss.
It's your kid. Speak up.

Steffiesunshine
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
As long as the little girls aren't being FORCED to do it...what's the big deal?

EVERY little girl played dress up and at one point in her life, wanted to be a Princess! I think the fact that they get to do it at one of the most magical places on earth is wonderful.

I don't have any little girls myself, and I already asked my 17 yr old son, but he said no........but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to take her there.

pl'smama
01-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Before we went on our trip a couple of weeks ago it really saddened me to see threads like this. After all if you can't go to Disney World to dress up like a princess and not feel as though some think you look creepy, where can you go? Then we went on our trip and DD(4.5) and her cousins ( 5yrs and 9yrs) went to the BBB. They each chose a different style so they did not look exactly like the next child in line. However, had they chose the same style it would have been just as fun!

The whole BBB experience was magical for them, from start to finish. Everyone called them princess and they were treated like royalty. As a pp said the girls are given their pallet of make up and nail polish to take home with them. However, the make up that is applied is very light. So much so it is gone very soon after. My DD was thrilled to have this pallet to play with after, but I put it away for home. As you can see from the attached photo my little princess and her cousins don't look creepy, they look like darlings who had one fantastic time becoming princesses for the day.

As for the hair being too tight, not even close. All three wanted their hair left in that night. Yes, the BBB does use lots of product to keep the styles in, but even that took only one good shampooing to get out. I never heard a peep out of any of the girls while their hair was being done. And believe me my DD can yell like a banshee when I brush her hair and it is short!

The BBB is a wonderful thing for girls of all ages to enjoy. Boys can do the Cool Dude look for something like ten dollars, so well worth it as well. Oh, the styles they do are for a couple of reasons. One, they need to keep each appt to a certain amount of time. By having a limited number of choices this helps. Also, it is much easier for the FGIT to master three styles than forty or so, so again time is your side.

It is just such a shame that people will stop and criticize something like this. For the most part these are children, on a dream vacation, doing what Walt loved best. That is living out a fantasy for a very short time. I think the creepy part of all of this is those who even, for one moment, would compare this experience to that of a pageant. These children don't asked to be judged, they are just enjoying the fun of make believe. Kind of like the thousands of adults who come to Disney World every day.

Suz

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg220/suzannerudge/DSC03056.jpg

Suz

Steffiesunshine
01-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Suz...

Well said...and your girls look adorable!!! I'm glad they were able to have a little bit more magic on their vacation. :)

douglisa
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
It makes me wish for a little girl, or to be a child again. I am blessed w/ boys. I remember wanting to look like a princess a time or two in my childhood, I do not think I am alone in that memory.princess:

MichelleVW
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Harmless fun, my teenage girls went this summer with my best friend's daughter who was 8, and they all had a blast and want to do it again.

They hardly put on any make up at all, my guess is that the kids you saw with the clown make up was done by the parents or the child themselves.

pl'smama
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Suz...

Well said...and your girls look adorable!!! I'm glad they were able to have a little bit more magic on their vacation. :)

Thanks Steffie! It was magical for them and for us.

There are some that would say the parents force their child to do this so they can live the experience through them. While that may be true for some (like those forcing a four year old on Tower of Terror just so they can go) I think it is just the opposite for most. To see your child's excitment grow as they are "transformed" was a very moving and emotional expeirence. Kind of like when your child scores their first goal in hockey or makes a team or even just learns to take their first step. The innocence of it all is what makes being a parent the best job in the world.

Okay, now I am getting vaklemp! Thanks for the compliments on the photo. I appreciate it.

Suz

pearlieq
02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Definitely pageant creepy. :scared:

I didn't see a one I thought looked cute or attractive. And I felt bad for the parents who got socked for so much money.

But to each his own. They're not hurting anyone, so if people want to do it, why not?

pl'smama
02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Definitely pageant creepy. :scared:

I didn't see a one I thought looked cute or attractive. And I felt bad for the parents who got socked for so much money.

But to each his own. They're not hurting anyone, so if people want to do it, why not?

Don't feel bad for me and the money I spent at the BBB. It was well worth it. As Master Card would say,

The BBB - $49.99
Dress from Zellers - $19.99
Life time of memories - Priceless

Suz

AnnetteF
02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Don't feel bad for me and the money I spent at the BBB. It was well worth it. As Master Card would say,

The BBB - $49.99

Suz

I agree with you completely! Playing dress-up is something that little girls have been doing for ages and what better place to do it and make some wonderful memories at the same time. There's no harm done with a little sparkly stuff on their faces and most little girls love the fuss made over them. It's such a short time that they are little and can really enjoy this and I know I can't wait to make the most of it with my DD4 when we go in August.

However, if you want to talk about creepy, don't even get me started on the grown women I have seen doing this!

pl'smama
02-01-2008, 12:26 AM
I agree with you completely! Playing dress-up is something that little girls have been doing for ages and what better place to do it and make some wonderful memories at the same time. There's no harm done with a little sparkly stuff on their faces and most little girls love the fuss made over them. It's such a short time that they are little and can really enjoy this and I know I can't wait to make the most of it with my DD4 when we go in August.

However, if you want to talk about creepy, don't even get me started on the grown women I have seen doing this!

Enjoy your trip Annette and the fun of BBB. Your DD will love it!

Suz

TLSnell1981
02-01-2008, 01:20 AM

The BBB - $49.99

Suz

:thumbsup2

sarcasticblonde
02-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Add me to the group that thinks it is creepy.

Now, I do not have any children and if I did have a little girl and she had her heart set on doing it, I would allow her to do it. That being said, I still find it terribly creepy looking. Not because I think that it is wrong to allow little girls to play dress up but just because it looks so hideous.

I don't know who taught the Fairy Godmothers to do makeup, but the eyeshadow on the kids reminds me of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. And the hair is so painfully tight looking that it makes my head hurt.

That is just my opinion. Like I said, if my little girl wanted to do it, I wouldn't deny her, but I would think she looked scary all day :rotfl2:

marivaid
02-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Unless BBB has recently started teasing hair, slathering on foundation, mascara, eyeliner and lipstick, or putting fake teeth on little girls then it's still very far from being "pageanty-creepy".

The BBB girls I have seen in the parks only had eyeshadow, for some a little bit of blush, and lip gloss. And most of them seemed to love it. I would have loved to do that as a kid (ok, I admit, I'd still love to do it now).

One thing that bothers me is, why do they have to pick such hideous colors for the eyeshadow ? I've seen mostly blue, purple and bright pink. Eeek. But I guess it has to be "bold" enough for the kid to notice it when she looks at herself in the mirror.

PrincessBelle39
02-01-2008, 04:33 AM
My girls and their cousins did it last month. They had a ball. The makeup was just so light you could hardly notice it. It was a novelty for them and all about dressing up and playing princess for a day. There was nothing creepy about it. Just kids doing something that kids like doing.

mb168
02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't know who taught the Fairy Godmothers to do makeup, but the eyeshadow on the kids reminds me of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. And the hair is so painfully tight looking that it makes my head hurt.

Have you ever seen Cinderella's eye's? Watch my video on my site and Cinderella from the P&PP last weekend and when it gets around minute 1:53, she hugged my daughter and closed her eyes.

As for the hair, it is gel and spray and there was nothing painful about it. DD4 fell asleep near Splash Mountain at 11:30 that night so we took her to the room and put her to bed, did pull her dress off but left the hair up. She wore it that way all the home Sunday, my wife did give it some touch ups, because she wanted her grandma to see it when we got home. She wouldn't let DW take it down and had a fit when she finally told her that we had to wash the gel and pixie dust out of her hair. Believe me, if it were painful, DD4 would have pulled it out between BBB and MK anyway.

She enjoyed the whole experience thoroughly.

PrincessNoelle'sMom
02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
I wonder whose fantasy it really is...the parent or the child? Not casting judgement, just posing a question. During our Christmas trip we saw many, many...(oh, think of all that money the Mouse was raking in) little girls who had experienced BBB. It seemed to us that the make up in almost all cases was applied with a trowel and for that reason we vote with the "creepy" crowd. Sure little girls love to play "dress up" but how about letting them do it at home for free and not putting them on display?

Actually we weren't planning on doing BBB again this trip, since it is a short stay. Then, about a week ago my daughter asked me if she could be a princess again and get her hair done at the castle. So, to answer your question...........it is the child's fantasy. As far as putting them on "display', as a pp said, they are not being judged. They enjoy the attention of being called princess, by the nice people in WDW and all of the CM's. All kids enjoy dressing up - why do you think Halloween is so popular? It's the day other people get to see them as something they wish to be. Same for BBB.

mb168
02-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Ohhh, I forgot about that. The next morning, with hair still up, we ate breakfast at Olivias. When our server was walking towards our table she was looking at me and smiling and when she got to our table she turned and looked at DD4 that was coloring and noticed her crown and she immediately gasped and fell to the ground in a kneel and said "Oh my, I did not realize that I was going to be serving a princess this morning. I am so privileged to have this honor" and stood up and just kept talking to her. DD4 is the most shy kid you'll meet but she just ate it up smiling the whole time.

Wherever we went the male CMs were bowing and holding doors open saying things like "welcome princess" and the female CM were curtsying with similar remarks.

LindsayDunn228
02-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Very creepy, IMO.

MyKidsMom1820
02-01-2008, 07:55 AM
my vote is for harmless fun.
I think it will be fun, I plan to take my three year old next year. She loves playing dress up and when we put make up on her for halloween (she was a cat) she got really excited about it. I think that pagents where they put lots of make up on toddlers is creepy too, but I really don't think you can compare the two:)

queenof3
02-01-2008, 08:37 AM
then where can you be one? I have 3 daughters and they all had it done on our trip in August. They had 3 different fairy godmothers doing their hair. The make up was very light and they all got the princess bun and none of them said it was too tight (and trust me they would have) We brought our own dresses. They loved being a princess for a day. It was special and not like they do that every day! We had lunch in the castle and then went to the PPP that night so it was a very special day!

micmacmissy
02-01-2008, 11:06 AM
No judgments here on those who do take their kids...I am the OP and was just wondering what other moms out there thought about it.

I want my daughter to know that she can feel special and wonderful and beautiful without makeup, hair, and primping. I think society pressures our girls to go too far, too fast. Makeup on a 3-year old, or a 7-year old, for that matter, feels wrong to me. I was glad my daughter didn't seem at all interested in it...she got her sparkly Minnie Mouse ears and was happy with those.

(I'm also the mom who refuses to let my 5 year old wear a two-piece bathing suit, or go to parties at that Libby Liu place!)

:) Thanks for some interesting insights!

disneymom145
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I think it's a great idea for little girls to experience this once in a lifetime magical way to dress up and pretend to be a real princess for that day.

I wanted to take my daughter last year, then 2 y.o., and thought I would wait a year, but then when we were waiting to be seated for our Princess Dinner at Akershus, my daughter wanted to make friends with these 3 little 5 y.o. girls who were obviously fresh from BBB and they were real princess and she was not, because she was not dressed in princess gear. My heart melt and I felt so bad, these little girls were nasty and that's fine, I told them that she was a princess too and that what they said was not nice.

So this year we are doing it for sure in MK. I want her to be able to be a real princess this year and when we eat at CRT she will be dressed and ready to go! I am not sure if we are doing the big package or just the hair and I will buy her a $20 dress from Wal-mart, it's just as pretty as the $60 ones at MK.

So my vote is - yes, and if you don't like it, that's too bad!

MichelleVW
02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Ohhh, I forgot about that. The next morning, with hair still up, we ate breakfast at Olivias. When our server was walking towards our table she was looking at me and smiling and when she got to our table she turned and looked at DD4 that was coloring and noticed her crown and she immediately gasped and fell to the ground in a kneel and said "Oh my, I did not realize that I was going to be serving a princess this morning. I am so privileged to have this honor" and stood up and just kept talking to her. DD4 is the most shy kid you'll meet but she just ate it up smiling the whole time.

Aww!! That is so sweet!!! :)

disneyfantotheend
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I saw many very cute little girls in princess attire, both from BBB and done by Mom's hands. They looked very cute, some much more fake and pagenty than others, but still cute. However, if my daughter had it done, which she never would she is 11 and more of a pirate than a princess, but if she did and it hurt her, I would let her remove it instantly. I can just picture many parents saying, we just spent $$$$, deal with it. Sad but true.

My kids had their faces painted in AK a few trips back and it made my son's face itch. It was like $30 to have it done and he had it wiped off within 15 minutes. lol At least I got a couple good pictures.

wahoostampingirl
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
My 6 year old daughter just went to BBB last week for the first time. She loved it. We had to wait for an hour past our appointment time since it was overbooked for the P&P party that evening, but once she was in that chair, she was all smiles. The make-up was very light and as another poster mentioned, we have almost all of it left to play with at home. I'm also a mom who thinks kids should be kids, and in my opinion, BBB is harmless fun. She loved it for a day and then was more than happy to go back to her regular hairstyle and clothing.

By the way, my 6 year old son also had a reservation to get the "Cool Dude" hairstyle with gel and confetti, but opted to go to the Lego store with his Dad and cousins. I think the boys style is about $10.

auroralark
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think it's creepy at all, I just think it's all in good fun and part of the Disney princess fantasy. When I was little I loved to play dress up, and little girls love to experiment with make-up. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I see it just kind of like Halloween. Dress up and wear some make-up for a little while...it's not an every day thing.

Tricialiv
02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
My DD did it in December and it didn't hurt her. She often complains that I hurt her when doing her hair so I think she is sensitive to hair pulling. I found the makeup to be very light. We went swimming that afternoon and I was able to recreate the look easily when she asked. DD choose DIVA which is easy to recreate with the extension. http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/tricialiv/DSCF2314.jpg

eventamy
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I've decided not to do it for my 4 year old, even though she saw it on the planning dvd and was interested. I don't allow a 4 year old to wear makeup!
What I'm doing instead is having her dress up as a princess (her baby sister too) for our dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table. I found a fancy dress on Ebay for $9, a cute little comb Tiara for another $9 and I will dress her myself. She's too pretty without that stuff to put that gunk on her! I bet with just the dress, tiara and a pony tail she'll look way cuter anyway, and it will have cost me less then $20!

libinatorsmom
02-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I think its great... its a once in a lifetime opportunity for your little princess to truelly feel like she is belle, cinderella, sleeping beauty, etc... I think my daughter looks absoultely adorable... she loves to dress up and make believe to be a princess... serisouly I will be in tears to see her... :) its an opportunity for a little one to take a step out of the normal life... its THE MAGIC of Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssawka
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
One thing that amazed me on a recent trip were the people that were having this done. In many cases the families with little girls having this done did not appear as though they could really afford it. I understand that people are on vacation and may be a little more frivolous with there money, but really isn't it a good idea to show your children some fiscal responsibility? Granted it could be someone else paying for it as a gift, but to me it hardly seems worth it. This is not meant to be judgemental, just an observation.

On a lighter note, we were on the bus riding back to PC and there was a little girl that had been all Bibiddi Bobiddi booped. During the trip she noticed a dead bug on the bus floor and became very concerned about it. Anyway, I thought to myself how ironic it was that this little girl was all dolled up and was only concerned about bugs. :)

micmacmissy
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
She's too pretty without that stuff to put that gunk on her!

I agree...they have their whole lives to be sucked into the makeup/beauty/hair/clothes/diet industries...why does it have to start now? What happened to appreciating the innocence and natural beauty of children?

Even the package names bother me...the diva? Is that what anyone aspires their little girl to be? :confused3

klj27
02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I think it's a great idea for little girls to experience this once in a lifetime magical way to dress up and pretend to be a real princess for that day.

I wanted to take my daughter last year, then 2 y.o., and thought I would wait a year, but then when we were waiting to be seated for our Princess Dinner at Akershus, my daughter wanted to make friends with these 3 little 5 y.o. girls who were obviously fresh from BBB and they were real princess and she was not, because she was not dressed in princess gear. My heart melt and I felt so bad, these little girls were nasty and that's fine, I told them that she was a princess too and that what they said was not nice.

So this year we are doing it for sure in MK. I want her to be able to be a real princess this year and when we eat at CRT she will be dressed and ready to go! I am not sure if we are doing the big package or just the hair and I will buy her a $20 dress from Wal-mart, it's just as pretty as the $60 ones at MK.

So my vote is - yes, and if you don't like it, that's too bad!

This is exactly why I don't like it! It's not about the hair and makeup to me. It is about teaching girls that if we pay some money to have their face and hair done they are better than people who don't have the same get up. Shouldn't every little girl be treated like a princess there (or a pirate if they choose :) ) not just the ones who paid to be treated that way.

libinatorsmom
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree...they have their whole lives to be sucked into the makeup/beauty/hair/clothes/diet industries...why does it have to start now? What happened to appreciating the innocence and natural beauty of children?

Even the package names bother me...the diva? Is that what anyone aspires their little girl to be? :confused3

just had add to this comment... I am 30 year old mom - i dont wear make-up or do much more then brush my hair in the morning... its the choice of the child as they grow up to decide if they will live a lifetime in make-up... I dont need it and dont wear it.... but I have friends that wont let you in there house if they dont have thier make=up on... which I think is foolish... I feel if your child wants to do it WHY NOT... its not hurting them.... its DISNEY WORLD....

My daughter is a beauty in my mind (OF COURSE) and she is absolutely obcessed with everything princess... I dont think one day of a BBB make-over will RUIN her or her thoughts of life.... its the responsiblities of the parents to let them know this is Disney and this is a dream being fufilled for my daughter... and for many many other daughters... heck even moms do it... I say do what you want to do!!!!

MouseEarsForLife
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Personally I think its a fun way for little girls to live out being a princess. I know I dressed up ALL THE TIME when I was little. I also really wanted to wear makeup, but it was strictly, strictly, strictly for dress-up. My mother would have never let me worn it on a ordinary basis. Even then, the most I ever had was a little lipgloss and glitter. princess:

I think in Disney World of all places, children should be allowed to live out their fantasies without judgement. Do the same people who find BBB creepy find the pirate-craze disturbing? After all, pirates are violent and rude among other things, yet little boys want to be them. Let children be innocent, little girls love princesses without going into society's views. Little boys love pirates because they're the "heroes" in POTC; they don't realize the other side to it, either.

libinatorsmom
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
One thing that amazed me on a recent trip were the people that were having this done. In many cases the families with little girls having this done did not appear as though they could really afford it. I understand that people are on vacation and may be a little more frivolous with there money, but really isn't it a good idea to show your children some fiscal responsibility? Granted it could be someone else paying for it as a gift, but to me it hardly seems worth it. This is not meant to be judgemental, just an observation.

On a lighter note, we were on the bus riding back to PC and there was a little girl that had been all Bibiddi Bobiddi booped. During the trip she noticed a dead bug on the bus floor and became very concerned about it. Anyway, I thought to myself how ironic it was that this little girl was all dolled up and was only concerned about bugs. :)

Love the bug story... cute... :)

BUT... I hate when people decide that someone else can or cant afford something... we are simple people that while at disney will be in shorts and t-shirts (probably with a disney character on it) hair in a pony tail and a smile on our faces... how in the heck would you (or someone else making this judgement) know the amount in our bank account or what we do for a living or how much we make... FISCAL RESPONSIBLITY... ok um you are going to DISNEY WORLD... in my opinion not the place to really try to teach fiscal responsibility... we are going on a trip that is going to cost us a HECK of a lot of money and its our choice to do that... just as its the choice of others to do it for waht they can afford... and for the time and the events and the hotels etc they want.... it just really gets me when others make judgements of what others can do... its their CHOICE.... not others choice to judge....

Minniemouse07
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I needed to come back and repost.

I would have MUCH less of a "problem" with BBB if they just did the updo and a bit of glitter to make the little girls that come there into "princesses." ... although a lower price would help too. The make up is really my biggest problem w/ the whole thing.

Playing dress up is great...dd (6.5yo) does it all the time. She has 3 or 4 Disney Store dresses and then the "trunk" of princess "dress up" dresses along w/ the set of shoes (the shoes are only for wearing in the house and not going up/down the stairs). We also have a healthy collection of play silks that get used interchangably w/ the actual dresses. She plays w/ her dress up kit all the time

I don't give my dd make up to "play" with...it isn't part of playing "dress up." ...and I find it inappropriate for her to have it at her age. Dd looks beautiful just the way she is and I want her to get that message loud and clear.

As I posted earlier, I gave dd the choice between BBB and a pirate cruise for our upcoming trip. She picked the pirate cruise, but I was prepared to allow her to do BBB if that was her choice. If she did it, I was going to be VERY clear about just using glitter for "make up" and refusing the make up kit that they give to you.

I'm pretty proud of myself for not pressuring dd in ANY way to not do BBB...the choice was all hers. But I have to admit, I'm thrilled she picked the cruise!

libinatorsmom
02-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Personally I think its a fun way for little girls to live out being a princess. I know I dressed up ALL THE TIME when I was little. I also really wanted to wear makeup, but it was strictly, strictly, strictly for dress-up. My mother would have never let me worn it on a ordinary basis. Even then, the most I ever had was a little lipgloss and glitter. princess:

I think in Disney World of all places, children should be allowed to live out their fantasies without judgement. Do the same people who find BBB creepy find the pirate-craze disturbing? After all, pirates are violent and rude among other things, yet little boys want to be them. Let children be innocent, little girls love princesses without going into society's views. Little boys love pirates because they're the "heroes" in POTC; they don't realize the other side to it, either.

CANT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!!! :)

Also as the parent paying the $$$ if you dont want a lot of make-up on YOUR daughter tell the FGMT I am sure they will fufill your wishes as well... :)

budbeerlady
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
DD did it on our MNSSHP day, she loved it! She chose the fairy tale princess (the bun w/ the mickey clip in back) and looked wonderful. She was beaming when it was done. (We bought the Jasmine at the Disney store before we left, she knew she was going to be Jasmine for MNSSHP, she didnt know about BBB untill I check her in. She changed and was princessed! Even Dh who gets upset when his Mom puts makeup on DD was smiling and happy. So the makeup was light!)

The fairy godmothers in training were wonderful! DD had simple makeup on and light fingernail polish on. When she was done she was dressed for the party! Its a vacation, it made her smile and was very worth the $.

http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/747/87054BBB.JPG
DD when she saw herself in the mirror.

libinatorsmom
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she looks so happy.... I cant wait to share BBB with my daughter...

ssawka
02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
BUT... I hate when people decide that someone else can or cant afford something... we are simple people that while at disney will be in shorts and t-shirts (probably with a disney character on it) hair in a pony tail and a smile on our faces... how in the heck would you (or someone else making this judgement) know the amount in our bank account or what we do for a living or how much we make... FISCAL RESPONSIBLITY... ok um you are going to DISNEY WORLD... in my opinion not the place to really try to teach fiscal responsibility... we are going on a trip that is going to cost us a HECK of a lot of money and its our choice to do that... just as its the choice of others to do it for waht they can afford... and for the time and the events and the hotels etc they want.... it just really gets me when others make judgements of what others can do... its their CHOICE.... not others choice to judge....

I totaly agree, and did not mean to be judgemental. My intention was to say don't give into the hype and don't do it because every other little girl is doing it. I know so many people that would spend money on stuff like this and then complain about how expensive Disney is and how they don't have any money. If that's what you want to do with your money, great!

Peepster
02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually we weren't planning on doing BBB again this trip, since it is a short stay. Then, about a week ago my daughter asked me if she could be a princess again and get her hair done at the castle. So, to answer your question...........it is the child's fantasy. As far as putting them on "display', as a pp said, they are not being judged. They enjoy the attention of being called princess, by the nice people in WDW and all of the CM's. All kids enjoy dressing up - why do you think Halloween is so popular? It's the day other people get to see them as something they wish to be. Same for BBB.

I agree with you. In your daughter's case it is the child's fantasy and were it my daughter, and she requested it, I wouldn't deny her. My question came from witnessing young girls that were complaining about their hair being too tight, etc. and yanked around by parents telling them to (in nice terms) be quiet. And, although you may not believe it (or think of us as "nice" people), we always try to positively acknowledge the Princesses, whether in make-up or just dressed up. This is a very emotional issue and, as with many topics, we all have a right to our opinions. It makes for a good discussion.

Minniemouse07
02-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Wherever we went the male CMs were bowing and holding doors open saying things like "welcome princess" and the female CM were curtsying with similar remarks.

Dd got that for the entire 9 days we were at WDW.... one or two days she was in a princess dress (she wore them to a few character meals) but most of the time she was in t-shirts and shorts. They all called her princess, bowed and curtsied...the works. At first she was confused... (Mommy...I'm not REALLY Cinderella! ;)) but took it in stride...enjoying the attention after the first day or so.

I distinctly get the impression EVERY little girl is treated like a princess, not just those that have their hair up!

_queenie_
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
It never crossed my mind as creepy, I think some people overthink things.

I totally agree.

rk5798
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I totally believe that if your child really wants to go and be made into a princess then it is fine. That being said, I am not going out of my way to encourage it. When they are so young and being made up with make-up and fake hair(in some cases), and hair slicked back so tight that their hair won't move for a couple days, it just bothers me. My daughter is 3 yrs old and wears the dresses and loves just being herself in the dress. She has naturally curly hair and is our beautiful princess just the way she is and we let her know that everyday. If she really wants the pink cheeks or nails done, I will put it on for free. Until she is older, I will not be paying large amts of money for "our princess" to be made to look less like a princess in our eyes.

On a side note, I once heard somone comment on how their child went to the BBB and after 3 or 4 days, their hair was still holding strong. Is it me or does that just sound gross. Don't we want to bathe(including washing hair) after sweating in the Florida heat and walking around parks all day(even when it isn't as hot).

I apologize if I come off sounding harsh

sarcasticblonde
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
On a side note, I once heard somone comment on how their child went to the BBB and after 3 or 4 days, their hair was still holding strong. Is it me or does that just sound gross. Don't we want to bathe(including washing hair) after sweating in the Florida heat and walking around parks all day(even when it isn't as hot).

I agree with you but at the same time, I know that when I was a little kid, I only washed my hair like twice a week. Kids just don't sweat like adults do and their hair doesn't get as oily.

That being said, IF I were to allow my (non-existent) daughter to do the BBB, I would wash it out either that night or the next morning. I can't imagine sleeping with my hair up in that tight bun and all that hairspray.

ekball
02-01-2008, 03:46 PM
CANT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!!! :)

Also as the parent paying the $$$ if you dont want a lot of make-up on YOUR daughter tell the FGMT I am sure they will fufill your wishes as well... :)

:thumbsup2 Coming from a parent that did just that. We took DD (4) to the BBB last Sept. and had a ball. Just the idea alone that she was getting HER hair done where Cinderella gets HER hair done....well, she was beside herself. Watching her gaze around the boutique in awe of her surroundings, really feeling the magic... It was priceless.

That said, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of having my 4 year old walking around with heavy makeup. So I asked her fairy godmother in training to go very lightly on the makeup and the hair gel/spray...just the tiniest bit of blush and lip gloss. Very very minimal. I also 'suggested' that DD do the princess updo as the others looked a little too....I don't know...too much to me. Fine for the older girls, but again, not what I wanted for my 4 year old. The overall effect was very sweet and perfectly appropriate for a 4 year old. One can certainly go to the BBB and not come out with a pageant girl! :cutie:

ETA - we also wore our own dress - a smocked Cinderella sundress - not a princess dress....fine for some kids, just not mine.

joenan88
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I do not know if "creepy" is the right word "horrifying" "eighties throwback" or down right "funny" are words I would choose. I started a thread entitled "Did anyone think the BBB wasn't that great?" My daughter loved it BUT I thought she was a cross between Cruella and Medusa..lol. As long as she loved it that is all that matters but the "Diva Style" is a bit much for a 6 year old...I told her to be her own princess..and she became princess Emileena the day after the BBB and looked like a pretty little 6 year old again :)

Here is what my daughter looks like..
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/joenan88/IMG_0842.jpg

Here is the after..

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/joenan88/IMG_0908.jpg

krismom
02-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I hope you don't mind me saying... but your DD is much prettier in the before pic! Because you can't improve on perfection :thumbsup2

pl'smama
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I do not know if "creepy" is the right word "horrifying" "eighties throwback" or down right "funny" are words I would choose. I started a thread entitled "Did anyone think the BBB wasn't that great?" My daughter loved it BUT I thought she was a cross between Cruella and Medusa..lol. As long as she loved it that is all that matters but the "Diva Style" is a bit much for a 6 year old...I told her to be her own princess..and she became princess Emileena the day after the BBB and looked like a pretty little 6 year old again :)

Here is the after..

I agree, your DD is adorable! You must be so proud! However, to use the word "horrifying" to describe her BBB expereince is actually pretty sad. I think your Diva princess looks sweet. Why make such a lovely time seem wrong by using the word horrifying.

Suz

Disney Fool
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
For all the posters who are voting for "creepy" --how do you know that when the child left the boutique, they looked that way? The parents are there; the make up is applied very, very lightly. And you get to choose what style you want for your child. When my friend took her 6 year old daughter, she looked lovely. We took pictures of her in front of the castle afterwards, and the photos are breathless! Barely any makeup. I wouldn't call that "creepy". They give a tiny kit of play make-up to the child. My friend's daughter decided to continue applying make up the next day. :rotfl: Of course she did it all wrong; what six year old knows how to apply make up? At any point, her mother could have stopped her, but she didn't. So, the kid looked silly for awhile. For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?
It's what little girls do.

pl'smama
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
For all the posters who are voting for "creepy" --how do you know that when the child left the boutique, they looked that way? The parents are there; the make up is applied very, very lightly. And you get to choose what style you want for your child. When my friend took her 6 year old daughter, she looked lovely. We took pictures of her in front of the castle afterwards, and the photos are breathless! Barely any makeup. I wouldn't call that "creepy". They give a tiny kit of play make-up to the child. My friend's daughter decided to continue applying make up the next day. :rotfl: Of course she did it all wrong; what six year old knows how to apply make up? At any point, her mother could have stopped her, but she didn't. So, the kid looked silly for awhile. For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?

Amen!

joenan88
02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Thank you for all the sweet complements...I couldn't agree more. When I said I was horrified, It was because she didn't look like a princess..she looked like me in 1988. Her hair was teased way to high..the makeup actually was not the issue. Her hair looked ratty and strange....The evil stepmother actually said she could be one of her daughters (because of her hair) when we met her after of experience at BBB..what would you think..lol :)

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/joenan88/IMG_0909.jpg

Minniemouse07
02-06-2008, 03:41 PM

I actually think that the photos taken AT BBB have too much makeup and look creepy. So unless they put on more makeup while sitting in the chair...then yes BBB is too much.
I've posted my views regarding makeup on young girls previously... I just don't think it is appropriate.
I really would appreciate a NON makeup option for BBB that would be less expensive than the current pricing structure. I know that I could request no makeup...but $50 to put up dd's hair is just way too pricey!

MadzMum
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
We just got back from DD's (almost 4) first trip. I was all set to bring her to BBB before our Wednesday dinner at the castle (as a surprise.). I cancelled the appointment on Monday after seeing all the waaaay over done little girls walking around. I saw exactly TWO with light make up, everyone else looked like a Jon Benet wannabe!! My mom said 'that's not the place doing OUR princesses hair and make up, right??" and even my husband asked what the deal was. :scared1:

So, maybe it is parents 'touching up' makeup after the bbb-ing is over, but it was most girls I saw, so I don't think so.

We spent the rest of the trip referring to it as the bibbidi bobiddi ho-tique. And, yes, if DD decides she wants to do it next year, she can, and we will state LIGHT MAKE UP!!!!!!!

joenan88
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
We spent the rest of the trip referring to it as the bibbidi bobiddi ho-tique

That's a little harsh considering we are talking about young girls..I thought my daughter looked a little silly but she didn't look like a HO...kind of strong for a 1st post.

MadzMum
02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry you feel it was harsh-it was more tongue in cheek, but I realize that's hard to convey...

But, as the mother of a young girl, I chose to cancel our appointment to prevent my daughter from looking like 98% of the girls I saw there!

If your daughter is the cutie with the 80's hair after her BBB experience, she wouldn't have made me think anything when I saw her except 'she's cute." I thought that about exactly TWO of the girls I saw. Most of the rest, I saw make up and tight glittery hair. Honestly, most of the pix on this and the other thread look much milder than what we just saw...
Perhaps new FGiTs?? :confused3

joenan88
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying..sometimes when you post it comes out differently then intended..I understand what you are saying..:thumbsup2 I did state the makeup was not a problem for me but I also did see little girls walking around with lot's of makeup...if it was my daughter I wouldn't have allowed it..but to each his own ;)

TheTXTaylors5
02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Here is the after..

I hope you don't mind me saying... but your DD is much prettier in the before pic! Because you can't improve on perfection :thumbsup2

I asked my DD5, who happened to be in the office with me, which photo was cuter. :thumbsup2 She picked the NON BBB photo. DD5 is all into princesses and dressing up. But, she even looked at the made-up little girls at WDW with a funny look. As someone already stated, the parents are with them at BBB. The parent should say something. DH told me we are NOT letting our daughter go to BBB if she looks like one of the litle girls we saw. She was a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown. I am glad there is a toned-down version of the make-up. I wish more parents would go that route. How long did it take to untangle your daughter's hair. We saw a few little girls with crazy teased hair. I couldn't image how much fun that was to get out.

- Jennifer

micmacmissy
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
everyone else looked like a Jon Benet wannabe!!

My thoughts exactly!

Vickie46
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
My 6 yr old looked at the other girls hair and makeup and said no Mommy I don't want to do this... lol I said great lets save some money for something else...

Personally all the hair looks slicked back and too much...

micmacmissy
02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?

Nope- that isn't creepy; it's innocent fun, in the privacy of home and on each girl's own terms, and totally natural to play mommy and act out their maternal instincts in preparation for being wives and moms someday.

I don't think full hair, makeup, and body glitter are "what little girls do"...at least not until senior prom!!! What does the diva package prepare them for? Being......divas someday? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't look at my daughter and think, "I hope she grows up to be a diva someday!".

Little girls grow up fast enough without society over-sexualizing them. Then again, I am the mom who refuses to buy Bratz dolls and 2-piece bathing suits for the same reason. And I won't set foot in Libby Liu, either!!!

PrincessTiffany
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?

I wouldn't find that at all creepy. But, I will tell you what I did find creepy during our September vacation. The first three days of our trip there was record breaking heat, the heat indexes were 108 degrees the day we were at MK. We saw little girls walking around in nylon full length dress in plasic high heels with make-up streaming down their little red faces who had obviously just been BBB'd. I had appointments for all three of our girls while we were there and I cancelled them, luckily it was a surprise and they didn't even know they didn't get to go. But on that same note, they saw all of the other little girls that had been made-up and not one of my girly girls said they wanted the make-over.

I found it very creepy and almost cruel to see these people dragging around their children in the sweltering heat dressed like that. Would any of you like to tour MK in 100 degree weather wearing a full-length nylon dress, plastic high heels with electic blue eye shadow dripping down your face? I don't think so!

attackwithnorth
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
The way I see it, if the little girl wants to be made into a princess for the day, then by all means take her to the BBB and spoil her. It only gets creepy when you've got the moms INSISTING to their kids who clearly want nothing to do with being a princess that they HAVE to go to the BBB. Moms living their own fantasy at the expense of their kids=creepy... On a side note, If I were 5 years old I would love to have been taken to the BBB.

castleofmist
02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
During our most recent trip in September, we saw a lot of little girls who had been to the BBB.

I thought how much fun I would have had if there had been a BBB at WDW when I was that age, though my parents would have been very unlikely to pay for something like that. I can admire them for their ability to take us to WDW and manage the expense.
:)

I thought that many of the girls at WDW looked adorable, pretending they were princesses with their costumes, crowns, and sweet smiles. Most looked very happy, interacting with the characters and roleplaying in the parks.
princess:

I also thought some of the girls looked a little overdone, particularly those who had the "punky" or "flowing" hair extensions and heavy makeup. That said, I did not think any of the girls looked "creepy." It should be noted that we were there during MNSSHP season, though I don't think that made a difference in my mind.

If I am blessed to have a little girl in the future, I would probably take her to BBB if she wanted to go but nix the makeup and extension. If I cut out those things, I might decide it is too much money for just a little hairstyling. The most important part would be her enjoyment of the experience, though, and I certainly spend a lot of money on myself for things at WDW just for the experience. I do not have my parents' self control for resisting the overpriced character meals and souvenirs.
:rotfl:

A couple of people have mentioned Club Libby Lu. I think BBB is completely different from CLL, which has horrified me from the first time a couple of years ago I was at the local mall on a Saturday morning and saw the little girls who were dressed in tube tops and hip huggers, spray painted with makeup, and "strutting" out of the store. In case you are not familiar with it, here is an article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032402188_2.html

:scared1:

I suppose even that can be controlled, but I would call much of what I have seen in that store "creepy."

joenan88
02-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I asked my DD5, who happened to be in the office with me, which photo was cuter. She picked the NON BBB photo. DD5 is all into princesses and dressing up. But, she even looked at the made-up little girls at WDW with a funny look. As someone already stated, the parents are with them at BBB. The parent should say something. DH told me we are NOT letting our daughter go to BBB if she looks like one of the litle girls we saw. She was a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown. I am glad there is a toned-down version of the make-up. I wish more parents would go that route. How long did it take to untangle your daughter's hair. We saw a few little girls with crazy teased hair. I couldn't image how much fun that was to get out.

Cindy Lauper and a clown is hilarious! :rotfl2: When we got back to the Poly that night I threw her in the shower and dumped conditioner on her head.. Just to reiterate something I had stated in the past...I did tell the girl doing my daughter's hair to tone it down..but she didn't listen and kept telling my daughter how great she looked as she kept teasing her hair...all I can say is never again..;)

robinc71
02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
If you don't like it, don't look. If you have little girls, don't take them if you don't want to. Nobody is being forced to do the BBB. For goodness sakes, it is Disney - Fantasy reigns here!!

Picture is Just Beautiful!.

My DD7 loved the BBB. Can't wait to do it again on our next trip. We will be 3 princesses strong this time.

clareita
02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
When I started planning our April trip, I thought I would take my girls, 9 and 7, to the BBB. The more I saw of the pictures, the more I didn't like how all the girls look the same. Instead of the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique it should be called the BB Assembly Line.

#1 Pocahontas
02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
We took our DD there last week. Actually she was invited by Cinderella ;) Before we went I was kinda regretting that I made the appointment. I did think some of the girls looked more tacky than cute. Sorry JMHO. My dd had her hair put in a bun and choose not to wear the stickers on her face. Her make up wasn't very noticeable and wore off in about 20 minutes anyway. I thought she looked adorable.

I'm not sure we would do it again but it was a nice experience for her to have at least once. And she is SO proud that Cinderella invited her.

mb168
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
When I started planning our April trip, I thought I would take my girls, 9 and 7, to the BBB. The more I saw of the pictures, the more I didn't like how all the girls look the same. Instead of the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique it should be called the BB Assembly Line.

You do realize that there are only a couple of choices in looks to choose from? Only 3 hairstyles, a few colors of eye, lip, blush, and nails, and if you want a dress pick one of a few Disney Princess dresses. It's not a beauty shop where you can have anything done. Most are coming out as ether Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, and I may have seen a few Jasmines. There is no choice but to look the same.

CapeCodMouse
02-07-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm with whoever mentioned the adults that do this -- now THAT is creepy!! :scared:

#1 Pocahontas
02-07-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm with whoever mentioned the adults that do this -- now THAT is creepy!! :scared:

When we were there I watched 4 men having their hair done. :confused3 I think they were all together and related in some way to a few girls also having their hair done. I thought that was a little weird.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I felt bad because there were little girls being turned away because the BBB was booked and these guys were taking up seats. BUT who am I to judge. Maybe they enjoyed it just as much as a little girl would. I doubt it but maybe they did. Or maybe it was the thrill of the week for the rest of the family.

suzieqmomof4
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I have 3 girls and really considered doing this. They love the barbershop (as does my son) so I thought this might be a really special thing just for the girls. Well, we were having breakfast in the castle, and we wandered into the Boutique and saw three women working on this little 4 or 5-year-old while a Photopass photographer snapped pictures and I don't know how to describe the feelings I had. It just felt all wrong. My instincts just kicked in and I really felt that the whole senario wasn't right-or maybe appropriate?-at all.

I don't want to judge other parents whose child had a great experience-I'm happy for you, really.

I think we'll just stick with the barbershop. Fifteen bucks for a great haircut and all the pixie dust you need.

micmacmissy
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know how to describe the feelings I had. It just felt all wrong. My instincts just kicked in and I really felt that the whole senario wasn't right-or maybe appropriate?-at all.

That is exactly how I feel...and I also want to add, a mother's instinct is never wrong!!!

Blaze12
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
We took our DD there last week. Actually she was invited by Cinderella ;) Before we went I was kinda regretting that I made the appointment. I did think some of the girls looked more tacky than cute. Sorry JMHO. My dd had her hair put in a bun and choose not to wear the stickers on her face. Her make up wasn't very noticeable and wore off in about 20 minutes anyway. I thought she looked adorable.

I'm not sure we would do it again but it was a nice experience for her to have at least once. And she is SO proud that Cinderella invited her.

Off topic, I know. But I am curious how you set it up that Cinderella invited her. I am trying to set that up for my DD for her birthday, and make it 'appear' as if Cinderella is inviting her.

crzyred
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Off topic, I know. But I am curious how you set it up that Cinderella invited her. I am trying to set that up for my DD for her birthday, and make it 'appear' as if Cinderella is inviting her.

You could probably just send a letter to your daughter. Have it signed Cinderella.

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I promised myself I would stop responding to this thread because, quite frankly, all the nay sayers are depressing. But, it is kind of like watching a natural disaster unfold on the news. You want to see what else has been destroyed.

That may seem a bit dramatic and over the top, but wait a second, aren't we talking about Disney World? Probably one of the only places in the entire world where drama is not only allowed, but welcomed.

It would seem to me that having a child dress in a costume and get done up like a princess for a day, maybe two, would be the type of sweet and innocent fun we wished all children could enjoy, without the fear of being insulted. Of course all parents have the right to decide if they want to bring their child to the BBB, but why not leave your rude comments on other children out of it?

I often hear from adults just how cruel children can be to one another. I think just the opposite is happening here.

And, do you really think a parent takes their daughter to the BBB hoping they want to grow up to be a diva someday? Give me a break. It is one day of harmless fun, that will provide your child ( and you) with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Suz

crzyred
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I promised myself I would stop responding to this thread because, quite frankly, all the nay sayers are depressing. But, it is kind of like watching a natural disaster unfold on the news. You want to see what else has been destroyed.

That may seem a bit dramatic and over the top, but wait a second, aren't we talking about Disney World? Probably one of the only places in the entire world where drama is not only allowed, but welcomed.

It would seem to me that having a child dress in a costume and get done up like a princess for a day, maybe two, would be the type of sweet and innocent fun we wished all children could enjoy, without the fear of being insulted. Of course all parents have the right to decide if they want to bring their child to the BBB, but why not leave your rude comments on other children out of it?

I often hear from adults just how cruel children can be to one another. I think just the opposite is happening here.

And, do you really think a parent takes their daughter to the BBB hoping they want to grow up to be a diva someday? Give me a break. It is one day of harmless fun, that will provide your child ( and you) with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Suz

Fine. Take your child. Who cares? Some don't like it and won't take their child, that's their choice. If you do, then take her.

bizeemom4
02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
I've seen two types of kids coming out of there....the little girls in beautiful, clean buns with little tiaras. The ones that look like princesses.

And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong. :confused3 and :lmao: Ok, maybe three :scared1: and four :laughing:

haley123
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Suz

I agree with everything you said. And I personally think that it's time this thread went away forever.

pinkerbell
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
like anything, fun that gone too far, can be creepy...

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Fine. Take your child. Who cares? Some don't like it and won't take their child, that's their choice. If you do, then take her.

Thanks crzyred, I did take my DD and she loved it! I totally agree that some will and some won't like it. There is nothing more obvious than that. I think it is the nasty comments about how the little girls look that is, to put it mildly, not very nice. Just a shame adults or those who appear to be adults can be so mean.

As far as who cares, well I do. And so do the other supporters of the BBB expereince. You must on some level or you would not respond to this.

Suz

PC MOM
02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I have 3 girls and really considered doing this. They love the barbershop (as does my son) so I thought this might be a really special thing just for the girls. Well, we were having breakfast in the castle, and we wandered into the Boutique and saw three women working on this little 4 or 5-year-old while a Photopass photographer snapped pictures and I don't know how to describe the feelings I had. It just felt all wrong. My instincts just kicked in and I really felt that the whole senario wasn't right-or maybe appropriate?-at all.

I don't want to judge other parents whose child had a great experience-I'm happy for you, really.

I think we'll just stick with the barbershop. Fifteen bucks for a great haircut and all the pixie dust you need.

I'm not judging either but......

You really just can't wander in at the castle. You would have to get pass the lady at the front desk. So I would have to believe that you went in to see what was going on.

That being said......we all have our definition of wrong.

No bad vibes..... :goodvibes

crathy21
02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I am not a big fan of BBB, I don't like little girls looking like grown ups BUT I totally understand the little ones interest in being "a princess" SO.... I did take my 5-yr-old DD to BBB at the castle during our recent trip. She is not a fan of having her hair cut so I knew this would be a bit scary for her. We were able to get a walk in appt at the castle. They sat her in the chair and were being really sweet to her, it was obvious she was nervous, and she calls me over and whispers "I don't want to do this" -so we left. Fortunately this had been a spur of the moment appt, no waiting and they hadn't "done" anything yet so we didn't waste much time and no money was spent.

Later that day we went to the Harmony Barber shop and they put her hair in a "up do" and sprinkled her with pixie dust, it was beautiful! Cost only $7.50 so we tipped big! :goodvibes

However, DD has already asked that we go back to BBB on our next trip next January. This time we will try the Downtown Disney BBB since its more roomy, not as frantic environment. We'll see...

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm not judging either but......

You really just can't wander in at the castle. You would have to get pass the lady at the front desk. So I would have to believe that you went in to see what was going on.

That being said......we all have our definition of wrong.

No bad vibes..... :goodvibes

:cheer2: , my version of cheers!! Good on ya!

Suz

PrincessTiffany
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks crzyred, I did take my DD and she loved it! I totally agree that some will and some won't like it. There is nothing more obvious than that. I think it is the nasty comments about how the little girls look that is, to put it mildly, not very nice. Just a shame adults or those who appear to be adults can be so mean.

As far as who cares, well I do. And so do the other supporters of the BBB expereince. You must on some level or you would not respond to this.

Suz
(Quote)I will tell you what I did find creepy during our September vacation. The first three days of our trip there was record breaking heat, the heat indexes were 108 degrees the day we were at MK. We saw little girls walking around in nylon full length dress in plasic high heels with make-up streaming down their little red faces who had obviously just been BBB'd. I had appointments for all three of our girls while we were there and I cancelled them, luckily it was a surprise and they didn't even know they didn't get to go. But on that same note, they saw all of the other little girls that had been made-up and not one of my girly girls said they wanted the make-over.

I found it very creepy and almost cruel to see these people dragging around their children in the sweltering heat dressed like that. Would any of you like to tour MK in 100 degree weather wearing a full-length nylon dress, plastic high heels with electic blue eye shadow dripping down your face? I don't think so! (Quote)

I am just wondering why not one of the pp who think that BBB is the most wonderful, magical, greatest thing that ever happed to their little girl, had no comment what I witnessed this past September with the extreme heat the the little girls sweltering their outfits, shoes and makeup? Or is that part of the magical experience too? Florida is very, very hot for a large part of the year, and as I said I don't think it really has anything to do with creepy or cute, it has to do with your child melting in the Florida heat. So, I guess I'm wondering why nobody else thinks that's a big deal.

maxiesmom
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
What is there to argue about? No one is forcing you to take your child to the BBB. Don't like it, don't go. I couldn't care less what you do. But some of you seem to be equating the BBB with a brothel. How some of you can take something that is sweet and fun and twist it into something creepy and dark is, quite frankly, distrubing.

micmacmissy
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't think anyone has insulted anyone else's children...in fact, with pictures posted on this thread, most responses said the little girls look MORE beautiful in their "before" pictures, than the after pictures.

And I, for one, am not trying to take something innocent and make it dark and twisted. I simply think there are more important things to emphasize to little girls than hair and makeup. I would have no problem with BBB if their services were more age-appropriate. Dress up is fun and innocent! But piling hair spray, makeup, and body glitter on little girls? I find it wrong.

To me, this falls into the same category as Bratz dolls...if others want to buy them, that is their right, but I think it's important to recognize how the trend is our society is glamming these little girls up too much, too soon. The LAST place you would expect to see that is a wholesome a place as Disney. I guess that is why I find it disappointing.

Laura Ingraham (radio host) has written a book with a chapter on what she calls the "pornification" of society...it is very interesting... www.lauraingraham.com if you want to read more!

Some interesting articles on these issues (and one about dressing kids for Halloween, which I think is a close comparison), if anyone is interested:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095.html

and

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/10/30/pornified-it-aint-just-on-halloween/

Robin4
02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
(Quote)I will tell you what I did find creepy during our September vacation. The first three days of our trip there was record breaking heat, the heat indexes were 108 degrees the day we were at MK. We saw little girls walking around in nylon full length dress in plasic high heels with make-up streaming down their little red faces who had obviously just been BBB'd. I had appointments for all three of our girls while we were there and I cancelled them, luckily it was a surprise and they didn't even know they didn't get to go. But on that same note, they saw all of the other little girls that had been made-up and not one of my girly girls said they wanted the make-over.

I found it very creepy and almost cruel to see these people dragging around their children in the sweltering heat dressed like that. Would any of you like to tour MK in 100 degree weather wearing a full-length nylon dress, plastic high heels with electic blue eye shadow dripping down your face? I don't think so! (Quote)

I am just wondering why not one of the pp who think that BBB is the most wonderful, magical, greatest thing that ever happed to their little girl, had no comment what I witnessed this past September with the extreme heat the the little girls sweltering their outfits, shoes and makeup? Or is that part of the magical experience too? Florida is very, very hot for a large part of the year, and as I said I don't think it really has anything to do with creepy or cute, it has to do with your child melting in the Florida heat. So, I guess I'm wondering why nobody else thinks that's a big deal.

I understand that the outfits aren't always comfortable but BBB is a choice. And even if you do choose to go to BBB you don't have to get the dress if it's really going to be too hot. Plus it's not BBB fault that some moms etc. (if any) force their children to go there and wear the outfits on a hot day, that's an issue that the parents have. Those kind of parents could have ordered that same dress from Disney Online and it would have been the same issue. Personally, I love BBB, I'm not saying everyone else does but I like the idea of letting girls play dress up and be princesses in a place like WDW. If princesses are the issue then why would anybody go to WDW, buy princess movies or what have you? Seriously, I don't think one day in a bun and a dress is going to scar any child. If that's the case we might as well get rid of prom.

PrincessTiffany
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I understand that the outfits aren't always comfortable but BBB is a choice. And even if you do choose to go to BBB you don't have to get the dress if it's really going to be too hot. Plus it's not BBB fault that some moms etc. (if any) force their children to go there and wear the outfits on a hot day, that's an issue that the parents have. Those kind of parents could have ordered that same dress from Disney Online and it would have been the same issue. Personally, I love BBB, I'm not saying everyone else does but I like the idea of letting girls play dress up and be princesses in a place like WDW. If princesses are the issue then why would anybody go to WDW, buy princess movies or what have you? Seriously, I don't think one day in a bun and a dress is going to scar any child. If that's the case we might as well get rid of prom.
So, do you think that you personally could have "fun" touring Mk in a wig, full-length nylon dress, plastic shoes and full glitter make-up on a hot summer's day? Just wondering.

Tykatmadismomma
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I love the idea of BBB, However I cant see spending all that money for it. Last year we bought the girls cute princess summer outfits, I did their hair and put alittle chapstick with sparkles in it on them and got a .99 shaker of irradecent glitter from Sallys and let dd6 at the time pick out a bottle of cheap polish and painted her nails the night before. They loved it and I didnt have to worry about their hair, make~up, princess dress, or shoes bothering them and I wasnt out all the money either. Plus lil dd was only 23mos at the time.

Tykatmadismomma
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Tykatmadismomma/belle.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Tykatmadismomma/madbelle.jpg

PC MOM
02-07-2008, 06:21 PM
So, do you think that you personally could have "fun" touring Mk in a wig, full-length nylon dress, plastic shoes and full glitter make-up on a hot summer's day? Just wondering.

No.....but some think the Tower of Terror is fun. However, my DD 7 (who, BTW, loves the BBB) refuses to get on it and even stresses if we get on it.

So I would imagine everyone has different likes and dislikes.

I would not think someone is "very creepy and almost cruel" for putting a 5, 6 or even 7 year old on this ride just because my daughter does not like it......and would appreciate others not labelling me for allowing my child to take part in a very occasional trip to the BBB.

To each there own.....just think....we are one less family in line for the ToT. :rotfl:

ElmerTinaRh
02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow, some pretty nasty comments in this post. I took my 3yr old granddaughter last May and it was one of the highlights of my trip. She thought she was a princess for a day. How often in a little girls life will she have the chance for that feeling. After all, this is Disney, Where Dreams Come True. We are going again in May and reservations have already been made. Yes, we (myself and her) enjoyed the make up (they don't over do it) and the puffy hair. As soon as she said that the dress was itching her, it was changed. I'm sorry, but I think that anyone who thinks this is "creepy" has some real problems to even think of it in that way. Maybe I'm taking your comments the wrong way, and I do hope. Ok, now I know the comments are going to come, but like others have said if you don't like it, don't go, but don't put down those that do enjoy it.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/TinaElmerRh/DSCF0382-2.jpg

Robin4
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Honestly, I would have fun just because of where I was heels or no heels but I'm not the little kid wearing it so I see your point. However, it's a choice- a matter of opinion. If a person doesn't think it's fun then by all means why would you pay to go. I don't think Disney's intentions were to turn little girls into anything other than princesses for a day or for a few hours. At the end of the day it was meant to be all fun and games not heat exhaustion and swollen feet.

Ilovefozzie
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Just wondering what the moms of little girls out there think of this...on the one hand, I think the BBB is a stroke of marketing genius for Disney....but the mother in me is a little disheartened, seeing all those little girls with their faces covered in makeup and glitter.

Is this harmless fun, or sending little girls the wrong message? Don't flame, just wondering if anyone felt the same way?

I have to agree with you. The DH and I are very protective of our DD7 and to us, it's a little, maybe not quite creepy, but darn close. Besides the fact that the cost of BBB is terrifing! :scared1:

Of course, we as a family all stop at the Barber Shop and get all of our heads pixie dusted and colored. Very fun!

marivaid
02-07-2008, 06:38 PM

I've had a lot of fun in WDW last July when I was wearing jeans, a long sleeved shirt, full make up and my butt-length hair down. So, anything's possible.

More seriously, dresses CAN come off. Most parents will think of packing an extra "play" outfit for the child to change into once she gets sick of the dress.
And if they don't.... well, that's why Disney sells children's outfits and shoes in every store.

The makeup is not any worse than the face painting that is very popular at AK and I don't see anyone saying it's disturbing or "cruel".

Sometimes, fun and comfortable don't really go together.Try riding Splash Mountain in the front row around 11pm and you'll see what I mean. ;)

ninaeve
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I usually stay out of posts like this, but I had to post on this one. I do not like when people lump others all into one group of cruel parents trying to make their child grow up too quick. My now 7 yr old daughter is not allowed to buy Bratz, wear tummy revealing shirts, low rise pants, makeup(other than once a yr at dance recital), and is not even allowed to purchase Hannah Montana stuff yet.

BBB being classified as tacky and pageanty makes me ill. No one is parading these girls in front of a crowd to be judged on their appearance. They are ALL made to feel special throughout the whole experience.

We took my daughter last year as a surprise. We met her good friend there as they were on vacation too. She was tearful she was so happy. This year's trip BBB is the #1 thing on her list. Our cousin had gotten her the dress for Christmas, and my aunt the tiara and shoes. The shoes were the real shoes with complete real rubber bottoms not the Walmart/Target plastic ones.

I looked back at the pictures to see if I remembered wrong, but no I remembered right. She had VERY light makeup, so light I could not even see the color in the pictures. She had clear lip gloss. The only bright thing was her pink nail polish.

It was 70 degrees that day, and she was completely comfortablle, but we had a change of clothes with us in case she wanted to change. By afternoon, she was in a shawl bc it was chilly. Her hairdo was not too tight, and believe me, she would have the first to let the room know if it was.

I think we should be celebrating letting these girls all have a chance to be waited on and made the center of attention. They are all made to feel beautiful not bc of the makeup or the dress, but bc they are all special "princesses". They are being paid attention to by a whole group of people. The hairdressers were lovely and complemented our daughters on more than just their outer appearance. They kept up a dialogue with them, and it was a very enjoyable time making sweet memories.

Blaze12
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
We love BBB! I can see the point of the hot days and the heavy dresses. Personally, we get a shorter, and less heavy dress for our trips. It can get hot during the summer months in Disney. We live in South Florida, so the heat does not bother us that much, then again, we do not visit during the summer months, it is too crowded for us. But, you can still go to BBB and just as easily get dressed in other clothes if you like. Or bring a change of clothes for afterwards. From my experience, it appears that most people follow this experience with a princess breakfast/lunch. So you are going from AC to AC really.

Now when we went, they did not use body glitter at all. They put glitter in her hair, that was all. She had on a salon cape, and a cover shield over her face when they applied it. So I am not sure if the body glitter is something new, or if people are assuming it is body glitter.

I am a live and let live person. In all honestly, if the girls are happy, and not hurting anyone, does it really matter????? There are plenty of things other people do with their children that I would never do, but at the same time, I dont pass judgement on other people. What they do is there choice. If I dont agree, so be it, but if it is not putting my family in danger, I dont really care. If you dont like it, dont go. If you dont think it is worth the money, dont go. If you dont like how the girls look, then dont look. I think the name calling is not neccessary though!! They are CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Blaze12
02-07-2008, 06:58 PM

It is fun on the MNSSHP nights!! :thumbsup2 And I can say, there have been some hot ones when we went in the past.

Ilovefozzie
02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
You know I am just now reading through the posts...and wow!

The OP asked...ASKED if she was the only one who was a little disheartened by BBB. I for one gave my honest opinion. Yes, I agreed with her. The title of the thread is even "Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

Did all of you supporters of BBB actually believe that we would all applaud your stance? Come on! The thread title is very clear to me.

I, for one, am not slamming any of you for your choice to spend a lot of money to dress up your kids. That's your choice and your opinion. Never once did I or several others tell you you were bad parents or that you girls were going to grow up "wrong."

So lay off those of us who don't agree with it. The choice for us to not take my DD to BBB and spend way too much money is mine and my DH's. And just remember the title of the thread.

Thank you!

ninaeve
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I am not posting to be applauded. All I care about is my child's particular experience. It is obvious by the stories that not all the girls/parents had a good memory. In fact that picture of the original poster's daughter was MUCH heavier makeup than ours.

As far as remembering the original question...that WAS what I was addressing. How I do not feel that it is pageanty, but for US it was princess fun.

I am sad that others have not had as good an experience.

#1 Pocahontas
02-07-2008, 07:23 PM

I created a letter for her in photo shop. I printed it and rolled it up and tied it with a bow. I left it on her pillow as we were leaving that day so she would see it when we came home that night. She was SO excited. She told all the ladies about it a BBB. They played it up for her as well by telling her you must receive a special invitation from Cinderella to eat in the castle, and how lucky and special she must be. LOL

Blaze12
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I created a letter for her in photo shop. I printed it and rolled it up and tied it with a bow. I left it on her pillow as we were leaving that day so she would see it when we came home that night. She was SO excited. She told all the ladies about it a BBB. They played it up for her as well by telling her you must receive a special invitation from Cinderella to eat in the castle, and how lucky and special she must be. LOL

OHHH, Awesome!! I am stealing that idea from you!! :cool1:

Tink415
02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
"Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

I think its a little bit of both..part of me loves the idea and another part thinks its just too much. And I hate seeing little girls in the heat with the outfits and tight hair - I wouldn't allow it for my DDs - but comfort is different for everyone, and lets face it, beauty can be painful! All in all I think BBB is just harmless fun.

I took my DD when she was 6. While we were waiting, she said 'oh mom, this place is a girls dream'. The apointment was before we went to MNSSHP. She choose the tight princess bun - and she's a girl that screams when I brush her hair :) I got the least expensive package because we get nails done before vacation, already have a million princess outfits, and I don't think disney photographers are the greatest. My DD wore her halloween costume - a rose princess dress - and sneakers. She loved BBB. When we got back to the room after MNSSHP she did want her hair out of the bun and washed to make the sore head feeling go away :) She didn't ask to go again until this year when she was 8. This time she wanted the disney diva and wore her regular clothes. I think the teased diva hairpiece is ugly, but thats just MHO :) This time she wanted her hair out while we were waiting for the bus back to the hotel!

Tammysue5
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I had read things like this prior to our first WDW vacation in Sept... really even considered canceling the BBB appt. DDs asked me to please let them do it.... we did and I think it was so wonderful! Worth every penny! (Please everyone needs to decide for their family if it is something they want or can live without..or modify by doing it yourself)

As for the makeup, I agree w/some of the previous posters ... did the heavily made-up girls really look like that when they left the BBB?

I have to say that I had to really look to see if my DDs had makeup on...

DD5/Close up...can't really tell she is wearing makeup...she loved the lightweight Tinkerbell dress.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/tammysue5/Disney065.jpg

DD8 getting the finishing touches on. Again, very light, almost unnoticeable makeup... Sept heat kept her from wearing the dress all day..so after CRT she put on the cute pink sundress we had brought to the park w/us for just such a thing!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/tammysue5/Disney098.jpg

My vote is for Princess fantasy! Girls loved it!

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM

Described as you have put it 'PrincessTiffany' it certainly does not sound appealing. However, I think that would be the exception, not the rule. There is no wigs as you put it. The child either has a bun made from their own hair, or their hair is in a pony tale, off their necks ( imagine that in the blazing hot heat), with a pony tale holder around the pony, that has fun hair extensions on it. The Pop style pony holder weighs about 3 ounces. Yes, my DD had this style and I just weighed it.

We went in January and my DD's dress was not enough. She wore an undershirt under it with her jacket on top as it was so cold. However, if it had been super hot then no I would not force her to wear it. I think you will find most parents don't equate the fun of BBB and the magic of Disney with torture. Same goes for the shoes. They are actually real shoes that the child can wear other times. That said, if my child wanted runners so be it. Back to the "Disney is about torture reference". Last, but not least, the full glitter make up you refer to does not exsist. I know becasue we were there and I did not ask them to go light on my DD. The glitter is pixie dust, sprinkled on at the end. It is actually much lighter than the stuff they use at the barber shop. WHen we went 80% of the dust and make up was gone in half an hour. It is child's stuff so of course it is not going to last.

Would I make my child wear this stuff when she was hot, tired, cranky from walking etc..? No, of course not. If she wanted to leave it on or have a melt down if I insisted she take it off, then I would let her leave it on.

Suz

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I had read things like this prior to our first WDW vacation in Sept... really even considered canceling the BBB appt. DDs asked me to please let them do it.... we did and I think it was so wonderful! Worth every penny! (Please everyone needs to decide for their family if it is something they want or can live without..or modify by doing it yourself)

As for the makeup, I agree w/some of the previous posters ... did the heavily made-up girls really look like that when they left the BBB?

DD5/Close up...can't really tell she is wearing makeup...she loved the lightweight Tinkerbell dress.

DD8 getting the finishing touches on. Again, very light, almost unnoticeable makeup... Sept heat kept her from wearing the dress all day..so after CRT she put on the cute pink sundress we had brought to the park w/us for just such a thing!

Your DDs look lovely. I bet they had tons of fun!

Suz

12kizuna
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I guess I'm most appalled coming into this thread, not by the contrasting opinions, but at some of the nasty remarks made about these innocent little girls. Isn't that the same behavior we're concerned about preventing here?

I guess I should start off saying that concerning uncomfortable shoes, too hot dresses, too much this or that, etc.... I think it is the parents' full responsibility to be looking after. It should be them that brings a change of clothes and anticipates what their child may need throughout the day. It is their responsibility to say when too much is too much, and to make sure their little princess is taken care of. :cutie:

Of all of the pictures I've seen, I don't think the makeup is slathered on, but tastefully done for dress-up. I have to agree with the others who said that the parents (or even the child) probably just decided to do a touch-up job when the initial application wore off...

That being said, what little girl doesn't want the chance to be fussed over and the center of attention for one day? princess:

While everyone has different ideals, I kind of can't help but shrug :confused3 when I read about the BBB as contributing to pressuring our girls and sexing up our society... I see nothing "sexy" about any of the pictures of the girls. I see cute and innocent fun. Dress up is different than That Club LL or whatever it was called.
I think we have to keep in mind the difference between a one-day dolled-up event where the child is NOT being judged, and an EVERY DAY fashion / need of make-up, owning a bratz doll, etc. Those things are an every day influence, but I agree in saying that a one-day deal wouldn't scar a child unless they were forced to do it. But again, to each their own.
Princesses like the Disney princesses are a much different type of rolemodel than bratz would ever be. No one is pressuring these girls, and no one is saying that they are not beautiful every day. This is play-pretend.
:cloud9:

If some child truly thinks they are not beautiful without makeup, then I believe there is something else in their life that is not quite right, not a one-time trip to Disney world to wear some glitter.
Of course makeup wouldn't be appropriate for every-day use...

But I'll just close this long-winded post saying that in order for the experience to be magical, I agree that it should be something the little darling WANTS to do and is not being forced to do. Kudos to the parents who listen to the words "no more", no matter how much money was spent.

:dance3:

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I guess I'm most appalled coming into this thread, not by the contrasting opinions, but at some of the nasty remarks made about these innocent little girls. Isn't that the same behavior we're concerned about preventing here?

I guess I should start off saying that concerning uncomfortable shoes, too hot dresses, too much this or that, etc.... I think it is the parents' full responsibility to be looking after. It should be them that brings a change of clothes and anticipates what their child may need throughout the day. It is their responsibility to say when too much is too much, and to make sure their little princess is taken care of. :cutie:

Of all of the pictures I've seen, I don't think the makeup is slathered on, but tastefully done for dress-up. I have to agree with the others who said that the parents (or even the child) probably just decided to do a touch-up job when the initial application wore off...

That being said, what little girl doesn't want the chance to be fussed over and the center of attention for one day? princess:

While everyone has different ideals, I kind of can't help but shrug :confused3 when I read about the BBB as contributing to pressuring our girls and sexing up our society... I see nothing "sexy" about any of the pictures of the girls. I see cute and innocent fun. Dress up is different than That Club LL or whatever it was called.
I think we have to keep in mind the difference between a one-day dolled-up event where the child is NOT being judged, and an EVERY DAY fashion / need of make-up, owning a bratz doll, etc. Those things are an every day influence, but I agree in saying that a one-day deal wouldn't scar a child unless they were forced to do it. But again, to each their own.
Princesses like the Disney princesses are a much different type of rolemodel than bratz would ever be. No one is pressuring these girls, and no one is saying that they are not beautiful every day. This is play-pretend.
:cloud9:

If some child truly thinks they are not beautiful without makeup, then I believe there is something else in their life that is not quite right, not a one-time trip to Disney world to wear some glitter.
Of course makeup wouldn't be appropriate for every-day use...

But I'll just close this long-winded post saying that in order for the experience to be magical, I agree that it should be something the little darling WANTS to do and is not being forced to do. Kudos to the parents who listen to the words "no more", no matter how much money was spent.

:dance3:

Very well put.

Suz

pl'smama
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM

The OP asked...ASKED if she was the only one who was a little disheartened by BBB. I for one gave my honest opinion. Yes, I agreed with her. The title of the thread is even "Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

Did all of you supporters of BBB actually believe that we would all applaud your stance? Come on! The thread title is very clear to me.

I, for one, am not slamming any of you for your choice to spend a lot of money to dress up your kids. That's your choice and your opinion. Never once did I or several others tell you you were bad parents or that you girls were going to grow up "wrong."

So lay off those of us who don't agree with it. The choice for us to not take my DD to BBB and spend way too much money is mine and my DH's. And just remember the title of the thread.

Thank you!

I think the purpose of this thread has been dealt with. The OP wanted opinions on who thought the BBB was one way or another and that is what people have given, their opinions. Having said that some posters have gone a bit too far. I think that is what has caused some strong feelings to show from the supporters of BBB. Did any of us supporters expect the detractors to applaud our stance? No, but I think we thought that maybe some respect would be paid to the children (and perhaps even their parents) who did go to the BBB.

You want to vote for creepy, which by the way is defined as "unpleasant or disgusting, annoying", than vote that way. Just please try to refrain from using words like "hideous, stupid looking, horrifying, funny looking, cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" to describe an innocent child. Or say things like "And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong:confused3 :scared1: " and I think you get my point.

We all have our opinions and thankfully we are free to share them with everyone. But why "slam" the child for how they look? That to me is totally unnessary. You don't like it, just say so. There is no need for name calling or belittlement.

As for no one saying our girls will grow up wrong, well, it may not have been phrased exactly that way, but the implication was clear. When someone says, "what does the Diva package teach them " or "Diva, is this what anyone wants their daughter to aspire to?" or "It is about teaching girls that if we pay some money to have their face and hair done they are better than people who don't have the same get up.", I get the feeling they think we, the parents are doing something wrong. Never even mind the fact that all of those quotes are ridiculous.

As for getting off the backs of the detractors, put yourselves in our shoes. No, I don't expect you to change your mind. But, think how you would feel if these references were made to your children, as an individual or a group. I think you might get your back up a bit if you did see it from our point of view.

Suz

madfelice
02-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Thank you!

Exactly, she "ASKED" for what you thought. The supporters think it's harmless fun and others think it's "creepy". That is fine. Opinions are like nostrils. Pretty much everyone has one and that is fine. I'll even listen to those of other people. That does not make either side in this debate right or wrong. Everyone sees things differently, and should be allowed to as long as it's not against the law. I don't think anyone here should be trying to change the opinions of anyone else, as that sort of behavior is just plain wrong. Coercion is the word that comes to mind. State your opinion, but don't attack that of anyone else's. Also, do not criticize the children who are BBB'd in such a derogatory fashion. When all is said and done they ARE just children and you would not appreciate it if someone said something as uncomplimentary about your child as some of the posters here have said about other people's children. For instance if someone said that your child's voice was so annoying that it could cut glass in your hearing, would you appreciate the comment and tell your child never to speak again? The same can be said of mothers who allow their children to attend the BBB. Just because someone else doesn't like the finished product wont make them not do it, and hearing someone criticize it in such an outrageous fashion will only insult them and make them become like a lioness defending their cub as the people doing the criticizing would if someone were to criticize their own child. Think about how you would feel if it were someone else referring to your child before you say such terrible things about other people's children. Sure, say you don't like the finished product, but don't attack the children.

joenan88
02-08-2008, 07:17 AM
You want to vote for creepy, which by the way is defined as "unpleasant or disgusting, annoying", than vote that way. Just please try to refrain from using words like "hideous, stupid looking, horrifying, funny looking, cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" to describe an innocent child. Or say things like "And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong " and I think you get my point.

Hi Suz, I used the word Horrifying for myself..I was horrified at what my pretty little girl looked like...and when I wrote my post I spoke of know other child other then my own.....When someone posted the statement "a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" I laughed...unfortunately, that's what some girls looked like. If you like The BBB experience then I would never try and change your mind..again my daughter loved it..I didn't...nor did my hubby.. I let her walk around and I smiled and told her how pretty she looked..BUT when we got back to the room..I threw her in the tub and washed it all away and out of the tub emerged my pretty little 6 year old. :lovestruc

MichelleVW
02-08-2008, 07:34 AM

Your girls are adorable!!!! :)

I for one find pageant children very creepy, but there is nothing creepy about BBB.

cabanafrau
02-08-2008, 08:13 AM
We've never done BBB & won't have the need, as eldest DD wants no part of it as an 8th grader & her 4th gr sister isn't interested either. I guess after a lifetime of dance recitals & competitions they both are less than interested in the whole dressing up/making up thing & just want to have fun!

For the little girls who do have the dream to dress & make up like that, go & have fun -- you won't be in competition w/ us for ressies.