PDA

View Full Version : Overpackers Anonymous

duffy
01-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello, my name is Duffy and I am an overpacker.

Admitting my addiction is the first step. I am powerless to stop.

I found myself this morning thinking that maybe I should pack the nice wooden bowl on my coffee table. It would look great on our table at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there tomorrow!

We have roughly 80 hours worth of dvds packed for the car ride. It is a 15 hour drive.

I have many, many batteries packed, both rechargeable and ordinary. I am fairly certain that there ARE places where I could buy batteries on the way and even when we get there. But still! What if there aren't??

I believe a power greater than myself-the Dis community-could restore me to sanity.

mom2zandjsquared
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry but I am an over packer as well and sad thing is I can drive back home if need be since I only live 1.5 hours south of the world!!

stitchlover
01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
It's a support group. At this point I plan to take 4 suitcases for 3 people. Is that a bit much? They aren't small suitcases either.

ksbean
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I think there are a lot of us out there. We took 2 large LLBean rolly duffles and a large suitcase plus we each had a backpack for our carry-on for just 2 of us.

leanan
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I would pack that many DVDs as well since there needs to be choices. I am just a pack rat. As for the wooden bowl, that one is way silly. Disney Decorators have such a good sense of decor you need not bring your own decor. Your room will be perfect silly.

3"Mouse"keteers
01-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Planning for Oct.18-26th and started a packing list yesterday. I already have 2 pages front and back (each with two columns)! And I'm not finished yet! I don't know how we're going to fit it all into the van. Just thankful we're driving though and not flying! Does anyone else seem to have this problem? I always seem to overpack. We can go on a weekend trip and I'll have at least three bags! My dh thinks I'm insane! In my defense, we do have a 19mo. ds though.

leanan
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
It's a support group. At this point I plan to take 4 suitcases for 3 people. Is that a bit much? They aren't small suitcases either.

No I do not think that is too much. Of course you should see how I pack for the science fiction/fantasy conventions. Whew. Cosplayers are always dangerous packers. I need to change my outfit no less than 6 times a day. Mostly because my corsets hurt like he double hockey sticks I think.

Christmas 2006 we had two outfits for a day at MK. Pirate costumes for the day and Christmas shirts for the party. I lived 20 minutes away. Now I live 10 from the parks. However the trouble is getting out, getting in the car, and going home for the stuff. Bah.

apparition
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I always pack more clothes then I'll need, but that's about it. :goodvibes

MissRoseRed
01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Duffy!

I'm Denise, and I too, am an overpacker. I try so hard not to be, but those bags just get fuller and fuller. I don't know what I will do this year since Southwest has reduced their checked bag limit from 3 to 2! :sad2:

Last September, we almost didn't fit into the taxi to the airport. The trunk wasn't big enough! It only held two large suitcases (one for each of us). We had to put the carry-ons in the backseat with us and the 3rd large suitcase (for the stuff we would buy there) had to ride up front... And I thought I was doing so much better going with fewer large bags rather than the zillion little ones that the taxi drivers usually make fun of us for... :confused3

I have made a little progress, though... I actually unpacked the suitcases within 3 months... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

nascar-j
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure there is any help. That's why I have to take this and stay at Fort Wilderness. It sure beats being limited to 3 or 4 suitcases.

http://webpages.charter.net/nascar-j/images/springfield3.JPG

j

stitchlover
01-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay you know you all want to...share your packing list. This will either help you cut down your own packing list OR remind you of things you forgot and you will have to ADD to your list! Here's mine:

CLOTHES
DH
shorts
shirts
undies
socks
tennis shoes
sandals
swim suit
pajamas
pants?

ME
shorts
dark tan (3)
light tan (3)
black (3)
short sleeve shirts
black (1)
hot pink (1)
purple (1)
3/4 sleeve shirts
pink
blue
long sleeve shirts
black
tan capris (2)
jeans (2)
undies
bras (3 min)
socks
flip flops
tennis shoes
swim suit
pajamas
light jacket

DD
shorts
shirts
jeans
undies
bras
socks
tennis shoes
flip flops
swim suit
pajamas
light jacket
goggles

TOILETRIES
DH
shampoo
contact lense case
contact lense solution
toothbrush
toothpaste
mouthwash
deodorant
Nexium
allergy meds
nasal spray
glasses

ME
shampoo
conditioner
hair gel
hot rollers
straightner
deodorant
baby powder
toothbrush
toothpaste
hairbrush
razor
makeup
Nexium
feminine items
shaving cream

DD
deodorant
toothpaste
tooth brush
mouthwash
shampoo
conditioner
hair brush
Lexapro
feminine items
allergy meds
Straterra

GENERAL TOILETRIES
sunscreen
Aloe Vera
Neosporin
band aids
mole skin
dental floss
Qtips
throat lozenges
advil
sudafed
hand lotion
nail clippers
laundry detergent
clothes hampers
toiletry pop ups
mini sewing kit
face stick
hand cleanser
hair bands
Shout wipes
eye drops
Zicam
Imodium AD

AIRPLANE BACKPACK
FOR DH
iPhone
PSP
PSP Games
sunglasses

FOR ME
WDW Travel Documents
iPhone
Camera
sudoku book
pencil
Disney Dollars
sunglasses
Itinerary
Baggalini or red backpack?

FOR DD
Nano
Nintendo DS
Camera
sunglasses?
hat?
Hidden Mickey Book

MISCELLANEOUS BAG to be checked
FOR DH
iPhone Charger
PSP Charger

FOR ME
Camera Charger
WDW Books
WDW Itinerary
extra Memory card
extra camera battery
Wallet Baggallini
WDW Guidebook

FOR DD
Nintendo DS Charger
Xtra batteries for camera

Miscellaneous items in Misc bag
Fruit Roll Ups
Microwave Popcorn
Sweet n Low Packets
Raw Sugar Packets
Oatmeal to Go Bars
Jerky
2 pop-up clothes hampers
3 toiletry bags

poohfriend77
01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Count me in. We leave one week from today, and our guest bed is covered with my "pre-packing" stuff. All our t-shirts and shorts are laid out, along with pretty much every trial-size bottle they sell at Target. I also have a bag of snacks/breakfast stuff, even though we're making a grocery store stop.:rolleyes1

I'm starting to worry about the luggage situation because we're using a towncar service to pick us up from the airport. There's 4 of us (DH, me, DD5 and DD2), so luggage has to fit in the trunk. I'm hoping to keep it to 2 suitcases and a duffle bag (oh, and three carry-ons). Wish me luck! :rotfl:

poohfriend77
01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
stitchlover-- we were posting at the same time. Your list looks pretty good. What about a surge protector/multi outlet thing so you can plug in all those chargers?

KimR
01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, I am an overpacker. Several years ago we checked in with 31 bags. :scared1: There were 6 of us, but still.

duffy
01-31-2008, 12:32 PM
stitchlover-- we were posting at the same time. Your list looks pretty good. What about a surge protector/multi outlet thing so you can plug in all those chargers?

:scared1: Thanks for reminding me!!

DisneyWalkerGirl
01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay you know you all want to...share your packing list. This will either help you cut down your own packing list OR remind you of things you forgot and you will have to ADD to your list! Here's mine:

CLOTHES
DH
shorts
shirts
undies
socks
tennis shoes
sandals
swim suit
pajamas
pants?

ME
shorts
dark tan (3)
light tan (3)
black (3)
short sleeve shirts
black (1)
hot pink (1)
purple (1)
3/4 sleeve shirts
pink
blue
long sleeve shirts
black
tan capris (2)
jeans (2)
undies
bras (3 min)
socks
flip flops
tennis shoes
swim suit
pajamas
light jacket

DD
shorts
shirts
jeans
undies
bras
socks
tennis shoes
flip flops
swim suit
pajamas
light jacket
goggles

TOILETRIES
DH
shampoo
contact lense case
contact lense solution
toothbrush
toothpaste
mouthwash
deodorant
Nexium
allergy meds
nasal spray
glasses

ME
shampoo
conditioner
hair gel
hot rollers
straightner
deodorant
baby powder
toothbrush
toothpaste
hairbrush
razor
makeup
Nexium
feminine items
shaving cream

DD
deodorant
toothpaste
tooth brush
mouthwash
shampoo
conditioner
hair brush
Lexapro
feminine items
allergy meds
Straterra

GENERAL TOILETRIES
sunscreen
Aloe Vera
Neosporin
band aids
mole skin
dental floss
Qtips
throat lozenges
advil
sudafed
hand lotion
nail clippers
laundry detergent
clothes hampers
toiletry pop ups
mini sewing kit
face stick
hand cleanser
hair bands
Shout wipes
eye drops
Zicam
Imodium AD

AIRPLANE BACKPACK
FOR DH
iPhone
PSP
PSP Games
sunglasses

FOR ME
WDW Travel Documents
iPhone
Camera
sudoku book
pencil
Disney Dollars
sunglasses
Itinerary
Baggalini or red backpack?

FOR DD
Nano
Nintendo DS
Camera
sunglasses?
hat?
Hidden Mickey Book

MISCELLANEOUS BAG to be checked
FOR DH
iPhone Charger
PSP Charger

FOR ME
Camera Charger
WDW Books
WDW Itinerary
extra Memory card
extra camera battery
Wallet Baggallini
WDW Guidebook

FOR DD
Nintendo DS Charger
Xtra batteries for camera

Miscellaneous items in Misc bag
Fruit Roll Ups
Microwave Popcorn
Sweet n Low Packets
Raw Sugar Packets
Oatmeal to Go Bars
Jerky
2 pop-up clothes hampers
3 toiletry bags

Love this list but am really curious on your vacation timeframe, i.e. How many days is this for? :confused3

Mrs Doubtfire
01-31-2008, 12:43 PM
We went for 3 weeks - all I can say is thank goodness for the washer. ps who sits on their suitcase to shut it?:)

Brit17
01-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Count me in ... I'm an overpacker too :goodvibes ... on our 6 day trip in Dec., we checked 4 pieces of luggage and each carried a personal and a carry-on onto the plane ... and all of this was for only two adults!! ... I will admit that one piece of luggage was pretty much empty going, however, it was full when we came home ;) ... no matter how I try, I always end up packing way more than I need ... I seriously need to join a support group for Overpackers Anonymous :laughing: ...

crunchymomma
01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi. I am Diane and I too am an over packer! Last month, I shipped a 55 lb box, had two LARGE suitcases, 2 medium suitcases, 2 rolling duffles, a stroller, and 3 backpacks! I actually brought a framed picture from home of my puppy :) This trip was 2 adults, an eleven year old and a one year old!

Luv4Disney
01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I definitely overpack! With FL weather, you never know and I always want to be prepared. A few times it's paid off too! :)

Chime
01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Overpacker here too. :)

We usually travel in a group of four adults. Not only does the trunk of the Buick get stuffed, but whoever sits in the backseat gets to hold full sized suitcases. :love: I'm driving to the airport. :P

rwdavis2
01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
I used to be but I finally got tired of lugging bags around an airport. We go in January so we know it can be cold so we take layers. No heavy coats/boots. It's Disney, so we take only shorts or jeans unless we intend to go to California Grill. One pair of tennis shoes. No dress shoes or sox. T-shirts or polo shirts. Besides a carry on with meds, shirt/sox/underwear, books, planning info, etc I can go for 4 days with 1 checked bag. If I have access to washer/dryer it's even easier. If I forget or need anything then I'll buy it there.
Bob

TheRustyScupper
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
1) I read this posting by mistake.
2) What a tactical error on my behalf.

3) I am on the wagon!

4) I now have 17-months, 2-weeks, and 3-days of packing sobriety.
5) APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE
6) I am a reformed over packer.

7) Since my transformation, we pack ONLY carry-ons for WDW!
8) And, we can last a whole week.
9) But, by reading this post, I am feeling those urges again.
10) We leave Feb-25 and I am wondering how much to pack.
11) But, I promise myself to snap out of it!

Simba22
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm an over-packer too! I actually was just talking about this on my PTR the other day. I always pack too many socks, too many pairs of shoes, too many shirts, WAY too much make-up, tweezers, bobby pins, nail clippers, scotch tape (:confused3 ).... and for some reason I always buy the FAMILY SIZE bottles of shampoo/conditioner rather than the travel size. I have no idea why. We bring DVD's and the portable DVD player, that we NEVER use. I packed my own hairdryer in October - just in case the one in the room wasn't working.... And in 85 degree weather with high humidity, using a blowdryer was completely useless anyway.

I firmly resolve to STOP overpacking! We had to pay the $50 fee for BOTH of our suitcases on one of our trips because they were over the weight limit!!

goofy4tink
01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
I am going to have to have my dd read this thread!! She keeps telling me that 'it's about having options Mom'..ah, no, not when you stand there, sweating at baggage check as the numbers rise on the scale! Who, in their right mind, needs 8 pair of flip-flops for WDW, to last 5 days????

TiggerMomNine
01-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi. I'm an overpacker. And an overplanner. My packing list is three pages, cross referenced, and color coded. We will be two adults and two kids, and I'm planning on at least 4 suitcases - maybe five. And an empty one. And four carry-ons.

One thing that's not on your list - the luggage scale! That way, you can check to make sure none of the suitcases is too heavy. They're only about $10 - Target has them now.

:cool1: :cool1:

BirdsOfPreyDave
01-31-2008, 03:35 PM
We somehow manage to pretty much fill a medium size suitcase every trip just with the toiletries and medicine cabinet things. Last year, we would have been covered for diarrhea, heartburn, acid reflux (no, not one bottle of pepto, a different medicine for each), blisters, cuts, sunburns, amputations, gray hair, headaches, hemorrhoids, colds, flu -- oh my goodness, I can't believe all the things we packed. It was like shipping a Walgreens to Florida.

Funny thing is, now that we're home, when I get a headache or upset stomach, I can't find anything to take!

Rora
01-31-2008, 03:47 PM
I am an over packer. I'm ready to face my problem. :)

jackskellingtonsgirl
01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I am an overpacker. I can go Wed. night through Sunday morning with just a carry-on but I don't LIKE to do that.

For our 9 night trips DH, DS and I take 5 checked bags, 3 carry ons, and 3 backpacks. When we come home we check a 6th bag and carry on a bag of souvenirs.:rolleyes1

In August we are going for 16 nights. DH was just blabbering about doing laundry, but he is a very silly man. I am going to pack 32 outfits and be done with it. (You think I am kidding?) That's what those 29" suitcases are for.

FYI - It is cheaper to go overweight on your bags than to pay to check an extra one! :) Pack away, my friends!!:banana:

catsrule
01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Guilty. I must double up on everything. If I'm going for 7 days, I pack for 14 days.:rolleyes1

Finally08
01-31-2008, 05:28 PM

That's not bad, each of us have 3 suitcases...there are 4 of us. So yes, 12! LOL And also a backpack with movies and a cooler...and a box of junk. We had to buy a container and rack for the roof of the car to hold everything.

But we are doing 5 days at WDW then a 3 day cruise...and with the crazy weather right now, we have to pack for every kind of temp imaginable it seems. :confused3 :thumbsup2

kimluvswdw
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
As much as we take to Disney you would think that we were staying for a year. I wish!

tiggerfan1
01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello, my name is Tiggerfan1 and I'm an overpacker, too.

I have decided to stop living in denial and admit that I pack far too many things when I travel. My overpacking problem is always joked about whenever my family and I take a trip. I usually carry a large purse with everything in it but the kitchen sink. (Unfortunately, the sink wouldn't fit.) I'm so glad that I have finally found a support group. :grouphug: Hopefully, I will improve in this area. (Nah, probably not. ;) )

TxMickeyLover
01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm guilty as well. If I'm going somewhere for two days, I pack a full suitcase. :confused3 When we go to WDW, I pack at least two outfits per day, and don't get me started on shoes. I'm determined to improve, but then again, who am I kidding? :lmao:

ljhmom
01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi I'm Lori and I am a overpacker too! On our last trip the suitcase that was suppose to be empty ended up full and I had to borrow a scale from the neighbor to make sure no bag was over 50lbs. We had 8 suitcases for 5 of us then we had to buy a bag at the resort the night before we left because we couldn't get everything into the bags we brought.

tiggerfan1
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi I'm Lori and I am a overpacker too! On our last trip the suitcase that was suppose to be empty ended up full and I had to borrow a scale from the neighbor to make sure no bag was over 50lbs. We had 8 suitcases for 5 of us then we had to buy a bag at the resort the night before we left because we couldn't get everything into the bags we brought.

Woohoo! You guys are my kind of people! I've never had to buy more luggage on a trip, but I've definitely tested the limits of my expandable suitcase. I definitely need to get one of those scales to weigh my luggage. Every time I check my luggage in at the airport, I say a little prayer and hold my breath while they're weighing it. Fortunately, I've never had to pay any extra fees for my luggage. Hopefully, I never will....;)

froggygrrrl
01-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Some might call me an overpacker, but I really think they are wrong. :rolleyes1 I prefer to think of myself as "prepared." :snooty: Prepared for what, you might wonder? Seemingly anything!

We are packing tonight for tomorrow's trip :cool1: (assuming our flight is not delayed or cancelled. Stupid snowstorm.) DH thinks it's (semi)amusing that I need to pack from an extensive list and meticulously cross of each item one by one as they are placed in the suitcases.

How is it that I still manage to forget one thing every time? :confused3

Tonya2426
01-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello, my name is Tonya2426 and I am an overpacker.

And yes, my family does make fun of me but they also love me when I have extra bandaids, a roll of paper towels, or duct tape for every possible occassion. I am lucky that I am close enough to drive to WDW and I don't have to worry about airline weigh limits. (But when I do fly I have been known to redistribute the weight in my suitcases at an airline check-in counter to avoid paying the over-the-weight charge.)

Wit
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
We somehow manage to pretty much fill a medium size suitcase every trip just with the toiletries and medicine cabinet things. Last year, we would have been covered for diarrhea, heartburn, acid reflux (no, not one bottle of pepto, a different medicine for each), blisters, cuts, sunburns, amputations, gray hair, headaches, hemorrhoids, colds, flu -- oh my goodness, I can't believe all the things we packed. It was like shipping a Walgreens to Florida.

Funny thing is, now that we're home, when I get a headache or upset stomach, I can't find anything to take!

:lmao: OMG....I actually snorted reading this.....I know who to look for if my leg is spontaneously amputated.

mickey mouse lover
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure there is any help. That's why I have to take this and stay at Fort Wilderness. It sure beats being limited to 3 or 4 suitcases.

http://webpages.charter.net/nascar-j/images/springfield3.JPG

j

I think you win hands down. ... And a dish too. Wow! I was going to tell how much I pack, but I gave up when I saw your post. You rock.:cool1:

poohfriend77
02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Apparently it's genetic! "Tinkerbell" brought my girls rolling backpacks last night to use as carry-ons for our trip (6 days!!!:banana: ). They've been stuffing those things all morning. :rotfl: It's quite a collection of treasures.:lmao:

nascar-j
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I think you win hands down. ... And a dish too. Wow! I was going to tell how much I pack, but I gave up when I saw your post. You rock.:cool1:
Thanks? :confused3 I'm not sure this is something I should be proud of..
It's funny. When I travel for business, I can get 3-4 days out of a carry on. When it's vacation, it literally takes the camper to haul everything.
We went to Mexico two years ago for our anniversary and 3 of our 5 bags (for 2 adults and an 8 year old) got "HEAVY" tags on them and I had to pay extra for 2 of them. :worship:

j

mommy2kaiden
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Me too! I'm so guilty of overpacking it's not even funny! I take 3 suitcases for myself and then 3 for my daughter (she is 4). In my defense though the last thing I want to do on vacation is laundry! Sure it's a hassle to have to take all those clothes and bags but that way I know I'm not going to get stuck giving up precious Disney time to wash!

anabelle
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hello my name is Ana and I am married to an overpacker. I, on the other hand, am a underpacker. I used to travel a lot for work, so I know the power of quick dry materials, travel size Tide and an sink. Now, I know that many people don't want to be bothered with such things, but I used to love not having to check bags. Anyway, my DH will pack for every type of weather imaginable. I pack one hoodie jacket, for in case and one outfit per day. I still do pack my Tide and will wash if I have to. Hubby will bring one very large, very heavy backpack with camera stuff. Another very large,very heavy laptop case, two suitcases. He will also pack other stuff in the kids' suitcases. We don't fly Spirit because I can't afford to pay per bag.

poohfriend77
02-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Ummmm.... I think I need to go suitcase shopping tomorrow. :rotfl: I just started packing the piles of stuff that have been accumulating on my guest bed for the last month. I have filled our large suitcase, small suitcase, and large duffel. We only have one small suitcase left, and I still need to pack socks, underwear, and PJs (after I spend tomorrow doing laundry! :laundy: ) and extra shoes. Oh, and that's just for DD5, DD2 and myself. I haven't packed ANYTHING for DH. I suppose he'll want some clothes, too. :rolleyes1

TexasTodds
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
OMG!! I have found my soulmates! We just got back on the 2nd from a week at POR, and for our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) we had 7 suitcases (yes, I really tried to edit!) and 3 back packs, and 2 carry ons. I really should have thrown an extra duffle in for the trip home. I had to leave things behind (my old pop-up hamper, and bottles of water/diet coke, paper plates.)

I really identified with this one...

Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave

The only bag that was inspected on the way to Florida had my medication "box", all of the snacks, detergents, and coffee/drink mixes.

Two of the best things that I learned from the Disboards was to bring a pop-up hamper, and also bring something to hold toiletries (we stayed at POR where they have that narrow shelf in the bathroom). What I brought was a metal "CD basket" and it held everything very neatly. I was also very grateful that I had my own Walgreens in my room, since my MIL seemed to need lots, and my son threw up one morning. Also, eating out for a week with lots of ice cream and no veggies so to speak wreaks havoc with your tummy, so it was nice to have the pepto.

I have learned that it is ok to not pack light (as long as you have Magical Express!) so that you are not left wishing for what you left behind!

stitchlover
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
OMG!! I have found my soulmates!

I have learned that it is ok to not pack light (as long as you have Magical Express!) so that you are not left wishing for what you left behind!

Gotta love that Magical Express! We will take a big suitcase per person (3 of us) and one medium/large suitcase with toiletries and food items. Probably large for this so it gives me that room when coming back for souvies!

It's nice to know I'm normal!

jagafen
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
...and I too am an overpacker! (Hi Jen:wave2: )

We're a family of 3....our son is 5....we still take 2 bags for him, just in case. When we fly, we fly with the maximum baggage (6 suitcases), just in case. I pack tote bags and backpacks in the suitcase just in case. We all take carryons!! (That's 9 bags for 2 adults and one small child....porters :love: us in airports!) We have one bag packed for our August trip already.....a suitcase full of the stuff for my son's Gift Bag from Mickey...and I have negotiated a "beginning packing date" with my husband for when I am allowed to start packing the suitcases for that trip (July 1st, if anyone cares!). I have 2 saddlebags to put on our son's stroller for the parks. Plus hubby will have a backpack. And a small soft cooler for water (it IS August afterall!) I also have a bungee cord and several carabiner clips to attach various necessities to the back of the stroller. I have VERY WELL thought out vacation plans neatly organized in a binder....I made the binder about 10 months ago.

In addition, I just booked a secret mommy-son trip for November, and told my husband "when it starts to get cold, I don't have to put away all of the summer clothes...I can just start packing for Disney!" I was excited by this prospect. I think I scared him a little bit.

On the other hand, when someone exclaims...."Gee, I really wish I had a left handed monkey wrench with a reverse threaded octagonal nut and bolt to fix this darn thing", I can say "I have it! Right here as a matter of fact!" And then I am the hero for bringing 6 suitcases on vacation. And 3 carryons, and 2 saddle bags, and a backpack.....did I mention the beach bag yet?

In my defense (not that I really need one), the ONE time I traveled light, it was an overnight trip for a funeral. I left the thermometer and tylenol at home (after all, we were going to be gone less than 24 hours, right? Did I REALLY need it for an overnight trip?). My 3 year old son woke me in the night when I rolled up next to him in the bed, and could feel the heat coming through his PJs. We were in the BOONIES, in a hotel, with no 24 hour drugstore...(what do you mean they close at 8 pm???) with no thermometer, no medicine, and a child that had a fever of AT LEAST 103!!! I was literally afraid to go to sleep for fear that he would start seizing. I was contemplating if I would look like a loony person if I drew a cool bath for him...I settled for washcloths and drinking fluids instead. Never again!! And that is why I pack everything that I think we will POSSIBLE need whenever we leave the house!

Thank you....now can I go get some of the coffee and cookies I see in the back?

jagafen
02-04-2008, 04:54 PM
"7) Since my transformation, we pack ONLY carry-ons for WDW!"

I just went back to read the rest of the thread....I think I stopped breathing when I saw this:eek: :eek:

YCFAN
02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Last year 8 of us went together. We had 2 large bags each plus a carry on each. Yes, that's 24 bags all together!! You should have seen the guy's face when we called for bell services! I also always pack a fold up bag to ship back all the goodies we buy while we're down there. This past October we had to ship boxes back!!!

Yes, I am an overpacker and low and behold.......my name is also Duffy!!

DisneyMomx7
02-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Ha - DH thinks I'm the only overpacker in the world.

For a two week trip - 2 adults, 3 kids.

We usually have 9 suitcases and a cooler (I hate the mini fridges)

5 carry ons plus DH's computer.

We also ship two big boxes early containing the costumes, water spray fans, spinning light up toys, stuffed animals etc.

We always stay the night before at the Hilton Airport Hotel in Philadelphia. Last July the guy who drives the shuttle asked DH if we were relocating to Florida!

Kumquatmelon
02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Hello my name is KumquatMelon and I, am an overpacker.
Now that I have admitted my problem I am hopping that you can help me.

I am going in April for 6 nights and I have already started up the list. It is FL, I must prepare myself for anything. Rain, Sun, Sleet, Snow, Hurricanes, Tornados, I've got it all covered. For 6 nights I normally pack for about 14 days, a night outfit and a morning/day outfit. And, two extras just in case if I fall in mud or something. For a family of four we have 4 large suitcases with clothing, 1 medium bag of toiletries, 1 large food bag including a toaster, 1 cooler, 3 camera bags (pictureholics), 3 backpacks for the park, and 1 movies/entertainment bag for the car.
So, we average about 14.

:confused3 how does this happen????:confused3

There is no hope is there?

TexasTodds
02-04-2008, 07:12 PM
oh, and lest you forget anything...DON'T forget a Phillips head screwdriver (small!!)

After watching the Lights, Motors, Action show at DHS, we had to stop at the little cart and get the boys a small R/C Car, and they were attached to the packaging with screws, and also the battery cover had screws.

Ok, we lived through that without too many tears.

Then, after riding the monorails, both boys wanted the little toy monorails. Yep, they were also screwed into their packaging!! It's enough to drive anyone to drink. DH always has his swiss army knife, but since we flew, he didn't want to check it and just left it at home. We also could have used the screwdriver for our sunglasses, which had screws that were trying to come out.

So, even if you overpack, there is always something you wish you would have brought!

pooch
02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
after 5 trips to the World, I can truly say I am a reformed overpacker. DD (21) and I went for 8 days last Sept with 1 26" rolling duffle, one overnight-sized bag and hobo bag sized carry ons each. Would have only used one carry on but DD was auditioning & needed immediate access to her audition stuff, shoes, music, dance clothes, etc. so she took that all down in a carry on. On the way back, we had one shopping bag extra with the breakable X-mas ornaments in it.

We took (each and excluding what we wore on the plane)):

4 bottoms (skorts for me, capris & shorts for her)
2 matching tops for each bottom
undies & PJ's
3 pr of sandals/flip flops (wore sneakers on the plane)
small makeup bag each with basics - foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara & a lip gloss
1 gallon sized ziplock with all our toiletries, extra meds, sunscreen, ponchos, chargers - all the loose stuff.

That was pretty much it. Used a cheap dollar store pop-up hamper for dirty clothes & it fit right into the duffle bag on the way home.

You don't need a lot of stuff. Bring mix & match clothes. Wear your shorts 2 days with different tops. Bring neutral footwear that will go with more than one outfit. Don't even think in terms of outfits, just match for heaven sakes! Read a thread on which a woman listed 25 hair bows on her packing list. ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?! Who is looking at your hair bows!!!!! Pack light, have fun, don't throw your back out!!! It can be done.

Disney Doll
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I am not an over-packer compared to you folks. I couldn't imagine having to deal with 9 suitcases at the airport!:scared1:

Tonya2426
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/04/news/companies/ual_baggage.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

United Airlines to charge for extra luggage

Non-frequent fliers will be charged $25 for a second piece of luggage on domestic flights. Airline says fee will represent $100 million per year.

February 4 2008: 1:10 PM EST
CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines will start charging domestic passengers $25 to check in a second piece of luggage if they are not part of its most-frequent-flier programs, the airline said Monday.

The charge will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, the UAL carrier said. The change takes effect with travel starting on May 5 and applies to tickets purchased on or after Monday.

Investors have urged airlines to pass on the higher costs of fuel onto passengers through ticket-price increases or similar surcharges.
United's customer research showed that a quarter of its customers check a second bag, Chief Revenue Officer John Tague said in a statement. The new policy will allow customers with many bags to continue bringing them for a fee and "enables us to offer competitive fares to everyone," Tague said.

Customers who have "Premier" status or higher within United's Mileage Plus program, or "Silver" status or higher within its Star Alliance program will still be able to check in a second bag for free. The new charge applies to those who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets.

United (UAUA (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=UAUA&source=story_quote_link), Fortune 500 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2007/snapshots/1473.html?source=story_f500_link)) will charge all customers $100 per bag for up to four additional bags. Previous charges ranged from $85 to $125 per bag. The cost to check items that require special handling because they are large, overweight or fragile will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.

New fees apply to trips within the U.S. and or those that include Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. Customers whose itineraries include other international flights will still be able to check the second bag for free. The cost to check more than two bags, or items that are overweight or require special handling, on such trips will vary by destination

tiggerfan1
02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
United Airlines to charge for extra luggage

Non-frequent fliers will be charged $25 for a second piece of luggage on domestic flights. Airline says fee will represent $100 million per year.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Good thing I usually fly on Continental. :cool2:

disneymom8589
02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
It's nice to know others are in "the club." I always make a color-coded list, too, and cross everything off as I pack it. I start making the list quite a bit before the trip and add to it as things pop in my head. I start packing a day or two before, neatly putting everything in its appropriate place. DH, on the other hand, gets up the morning of the trip, throws things in his suitcase and, ta da, he's done in 5 minutes flat. Somehow he manages to remember everything he'll need..at least most of the time! :)

Twinprincesses
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I pack for our family like we are never coming home again:confused:

fla4fun
02-05-2008, 04:23 AM
I used to be an overpacker, and now consider myself a moderate packer.

What helped for me was to create a spreadsheet of everything I packed, down to the smallest item. The first trip I had so much stuff, I couldn't even see out the back window of the car. When I came back the first time, I went over the list and deleted anything that wasn't used. Then the next time, I packed using the modified list. Over the years, it's been tweaked quite a bit, and I have three different versions - weekend, week, two week - as the requirements for each are slightly different.

I spent two weeks at BWV last month. I had one regular suitcase with clothes, one carry on with toiletries and miscellaneous stuff (laptop, camera, travel alarm, etc.), one box of groceries and a flat of bottled water. I don't consider that to be too bad on a scale of one to ten. Of course, it helps that I'm driving and not flying.

stitchlover
02-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I am not an over-packer compared to you folks. I couldn't imagine having to deal with 9 suitcases at the airport!

Neither can all us...that's why we use Magical Express! All we have to do is get the bags to the airport and a skycap. ;)

I used to be an overpacker, and now consider myself a moderate packer.

What helped for me was to create a spreadsheet of everything I packed, down to the smallest item.

Ahhh yes, the spreadsheet. I have one of those too. I actually think my packing got worse once I started using the spreadsheet!

twinnersmama
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I am so glad to read this thread ... this will be our first time to WDW and I have a list a mile long!!! Unfortunately, the suitcases DH and I usually take to the beach, I have just found out, are considered over-size for the airplane!!!! So now we have to downsize and get new suitcases or pay the extra $$ for over size (and probably overweight) luggage! UGH

And by reading this thread I have found a few extra things that weren't on my original list to take ... our trip is in 74 days and I am already starting to pack!!

BWVNUT
02-05-2008, 10:07 AM
our trip is in 74 days and I am already starting to pack!!

We've got it down to packing the night before - I've found when we start packing too early is when I throw in the stuff that is not necessary because I come across things and just throw them in 'just in case'.

When we went in October (5 nights) we have one 28" rolling bag for the four of us, one backpack to carry on per child and my VB tote.

I'm also a firm believer that rolling all your clothes instead of putting them as you have them folded in your drawers at home saves a ton of space!

chessie
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
OMG, If I had to pack that much I would be too exhausted to go on vacation.

I am a very under packer. If it weren't for all the lotions and potions I could get away with a carry on for 2 weeks.

I decide on a color scheme and pack only things in that color scheme. Everything should match everything. I should be able to pull 2 things out of my suitcase and call it an outfit. I am also not adverse to doing laundry.

If there are laundry facilities, I pack half as much as I think I'll need, if there are none. I pack one extra of everything.

I ware my heaviest and bulkiest clothes like my jacket and tennis shoes.

I have a gallon zip lock bag that I call my emergency bag. It has all sorts of OTC meds for just about any ailment but just enough for maybe one or 2 doses. Just to get us through till we can get to a drug store. I also have a few safety pins and Band-Aids, paperclips, matches and that sort of thing. There is always something in that bag we use every time. It stays packed and I replenish or update the meds when needed. every time I get a free sample of something it goes in that bag like stain removers or hand wipes. I even have an eyeglass repair kit and I have used that tiny little screwdriver many times.

With all that I still barely fill up a medium size suitcase.

It's just me, no kids

1000th happy haunt
02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
All you overpackers need to think about getting an Owner's Locker (http://www.ownerslocker.com/) or two.

Kumquatmelon
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
In the words of my mother, "We have found our kind".

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Trip is in 60 days, and I am already packing, this is not good.

henrylovespooh
02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
My name is Lynn and I'm an overpacker too. For our trip to WDW last week, I packed four pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts for a 5 day trip. I only wore the 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of khakis, and only half he shirts I packed. I do it everytime....

MickMick
02-06-2008, 05:35 AM
I am not an overpacker. I am a planner (by trade and in leisure), so I write out an itinerary and create a packing list based on that itinerary. PLUS I try to be efficient with my packing...I roll or use space bags.

My mother. :scared1: She said that she *needs* another suitcase:scared1: .

EpcotQueen
02-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi! My Name is Sharon. I'm an overpacker. I avoid the dilema of how to get all the stuff into 2 suitcases weighing under 50lbs each. I ship via FedEx about a week before we leave. Thsi trip, for just my DH and myself, I shipped 3 LARGE suitcases. Each one weighs well over 55lbs. They are stuffed so full of clothes, shoes, rain gear, cold weather gear, sheets, Aerobeds, coffee, coffee mugs, backpacks,....the list goes on and on. Did I say that we're only there for a week, not a year?

drewswife
02-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Why an Aerobed?

BWVNUT
02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Why an Aerobed?

A blow up bed/mattress.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7856663

Many different brands/sizes to choose from...

heatair
02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
A blow up bed/mattress.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7856663

Many different brands/sizes to choose from...

Not what, but WHY?

Why bring an AeroBed?

Tonya2426
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi! My Name is Sharon. I'm an overpacker. I avoid the dilema of how to get all the stuff into 2 suitcases weighing under 50lbs each. I ship via FedEx about a week before we leave. Thsi trip, for just my DH and myself, I shipped 3 LARGE suitcases. Each one weighs well over 55lbs. They are stuffed so full of clothes, shoes, rain gear, cold weather gear, sheets, Aerobeds, coffee, coffee mugs, backpacks,....the list goes on and on. Did I say that we're only there for a week, not a year?

A girl after my own heart! :lovestruc How much is it to ship 50 lbs these days?

Artoo
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I can totally relate to the overpacking! When my DH and I went there for our Honeymoon back in October, I packed WAY too many tops. The funny is, DH overpacked WAY MORE than I did! :laughing:

yankeepenny
02-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Hello. My name is Penny. I have been an overpacker for my whole life.

Also, I carry many different sizes of ziploc bags along too. see my sig. It explains everything.

BWVNUT
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Not what, but WHY?

Why bring an AeroBed?

Sorry, duh!! Well, say folks that get a room with mom, dad, boy, girl - with two beds and boy and girl are at the age where they aren't willing to share a bed...viola, instant third bed...

marivaid
02-07-2008, 03:29 AM
I'm an overpacker who's always trying to underpack ... but never really succeeds at it :)

Usually when my mom & I go on a trip we each have 1 duffle of clothes and share a 3rd duffle which holds everything else : pool towels, blow dryer, liquids, shoes etc. Then I have a carry-on suitcase, not very big, with a purse, laptop battery, adaptor with multithing on it (so we can plug 3 things with 1 adaptor), a couple books, cosmetic case, camera, etc...
And last but not least I have either a case or backpack for my laptop.
DM has her carry-on which is bigger than mine, I have no idea what she puts in there but it's always packed full.
We bring an extra duffle for all the stuff we buy.

I've rarely gone over weight limit and I've become an expert at guessing bag weight. Usually the biggest one is 49.8 or 49.9lbs :)

It would be nice not to have to bring so much with us, but I'd rather pack my own things than have to buy them once we get to our destination. We don't have a car, so a trip to Walmart can take up an entire afternoon and cost us a hundred bucks.

heatair
02-07-2008, 06:12 AM
We bring an extra duffle for all the stuff we buy.

That's the line I've been waiting for.

We took a non-Disney trip about 8 years ago. I went to a used clothing store like Goodwill and bought a small brown Samsonite suitcase. We put nothing in it (big mistake) and checked it. When we finally got to our destination due to flight delays, the brown suitcase came off the ramp to the conveyor and bounced right off! People were looking at it like it was possessed. I sent our then 10 year old son to retrieve it. Let him get the funny looks!

Fast forward to about 4 years ago. I went to a conference in Providence, Rhode Island. Since the Bride was coming and Christmas was around the corner, I suggested bringing another suitcase, much like we did on the earlier trip. She said no, we won't need it.

Later, I was at the bar in the lobby of the hotel, talking with other attendees. Here comes my bride, pulling a suitcase she bought along with all her other treasures (Christmas presents).

I know not to bring this up to her any more because she'll get upset and I'll get something forcefully inserted somewhere in my body... :eek:

Twitterpated Dad
02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Over packing is not a character flaw.

It's not. It's not. It's not.

Really, it's not. ;)

pigletforever
02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I am an over packer. But the family really thanks me when they need an extra band aid or body glide or mole skin. DH would rather do laundry half way thru the trip and keep luggage to a minimum. Not me. Doing laundry can be done when we get time. I am not paying to stay at disney to do laundry. I can do it for free when we get home.

Northern_Julie
02-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I live up in Northern Canada...it is common to pack an extra bag just for shopping...heck when I don't lug another bag with me I buy a rubbermaid action and tape it shut...I have rubbermaid coming out my ears. It is so normal to see the big durable plastic containers at the luggage carosel.

mommy2aprincess4
02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I am so subscribing to this thread! :rotfl2:

MooksterL1
07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Apparently it's genetic! "Tinkerbell" brought my girls rolling backpacks last night to use as carry-ons for our trip (6 days!!!:banana: ). They've been stuffing those things all morning. :rotfl: It's quite a collection of treasures.:lmao:
I know this is a really old thread, but I can't help myself. I must post to it. I'm such an overpacker. Here I am looking through packing threads to be sure I don't forget something and I find a thread filled with my people. :cool1:

By the way, I also think it's genetic. My 5 year old has stuffed his little backpack full of all kinds of random goodness. He was concentrating so hard last night to find a space to put his football medal. Gotta impress those princesses. :cheer2:

StitchSpawn
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
It's actually fun to see this old thread though....I don't consider myself an overpacker anymore. I've gone enough to know what I need and what I don't.

I know I'm not at Disney to do laundry, but it is so useful to do a load or two. I'm staying at a Villa this October and there is a laundry machine in our room, free use, so excited to have something so convenient.

I also pack an extra bag for souviners and I pack a pop up laundry hamper. I use those "space bags" although not that company, to squish more stuff in my bag.

duffy
07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
So interesting that this thread was bumped today, well, interesting for me, at least.

I spent my day cleaning out my 26-year old daughter's closet. She moved out years ago, but left stuff in her closet. It's all supposedly stuff that she will want, once she and her husband have moved to their "forever" house. It's PACKED with...crap. Oh, sure, there's some cool stuff that I know she's going to want someday, but, really, does she need empty wine bottles? Ripped posters of Bob Marley? Clothes that she hasn't worn in, oh, 8 years? BAGPIPES? BAGPIPES??!!

Clearly, it's hereditary.

PS. For those who worry, I've taken pictures of some things-including the bagpipes-and emailed them to her, she lives 10 hours away, and she can let me know if I should junk it or save it for her. I know better than to just junk it on my own!!

blakrose9999
07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
i am a partial overpacker... I start packing a week b4 and slowly take things out over the week that i don't really need to get it down to a nice resonable level. Last year i got sick and had to pack the night before when i got home from work i think i packed the least amount ever. though i did forget a few things

mousegear
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought I was over packer since I bring everything that I possibly need and little more for a trip. However, last year at WDW, I realized that I pack very lightly. I was next to a family of four (we are family of 3) and they had at least 10 luggages between them. Bellman's cart for luggages were too small to hold all their belongings. We had 2 carry-ons and 1 big one that we checked-in and a couple of backpacks. :lmao:
Anyways, for coming trip it's just DS and me. I'm planning just 2 carry-ons and backpack for each of us. Hopefully, we could manage. I don't want to deal with too much luggage since I also have to look after DS.

1971DBday
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I know this is a really old thread, but I can't help myself. I must post to it. I'm such an overpacker. Here I am looking through packing threads to be sure I don't forget something and I find a thread filled with my people. :cool1:

By the way, I also think it's genetic. My 5 year old has stuffed his little backpack full of all kinds of random goodness. He was concentrating so hard last night to find a space to put his football medal. Gotta impress those princesses. :cheer2:

I will see your post and recognize as well that we need to re-open this thread!!!! I too am an overpacker...but my DH is MUCH worse than me!!!! I am still in the mentality of "what if" when it comes to the weather (usually a Nov/Dec tripper) and now with October it's a warmer time of the year...what to do, what to do.:sad2:

DH, however, packs TOO MUCH!!!!! My DH likes to not only bring every article of clothing, but also animal books!!!! (Animal books = nature books on different species in case he runs into a particular animal. Uhhhh...it's called Google!!!!) Yes we are packing them again.

Where to stop, where to stop....youngest is 5 bring me down!!!!

ZoZo
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, it's nice to know I'm not the only over-packer! But I've actually gotten better over the years. I now lay out all of the clothes I want to take, then make myself put half of them back. I always, always do laundry mid-trip, so I don't need nearly as many clothes!

Actually, on my last trip, the unthinkable happened. I looked at the long-range forecast right before I left, and packed accordingly. It was October, 2009, and they were predicting near-record high temperatures (mid-90s for the first week of my trip). So I packed mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. Had only one pair of long pants, one pair of sneakers, one sweatshirt, and no warm socks. Well, about 10 days into my trip, the temperatures dropped dramatically. We're talking mid-60s and very windy, approaching record-cold temps for October! Man, I sure wish I'd had some warm socks, a warm jacket, and gloves! That wind coming off the lake at Epcot was cold! I had on my long yoga pants, but my legs were still really cold. Spent considerable time looking in all of the shops @ Epcot for some warm socks; finally found some in Japan, but they were the funny kind you wear with Japanese flip-flop-type shoes. I was glad to pay $10 for them, though, because they covered part of my legs!!!

So that just goes to show you, you never know what you'll need in Florida!

1971DBday
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Wow, it's nice to know I'm not the only over-packer! But I've actually gotten better over the years. I now lay out all of the clothes I want to take, then make myself put half of them back. I always, always do laundry mid-trip, so I don't need nearly as many clothes!

Actually, on my last trip, the unthinkable happened. I looked at the long-range forecast right before I left, and packed accordingly. It was October, 2009, and they were predicting near-record high temperatures (mid-90s for the first week of my trip). So I packed mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. Had only one pair of long pants, one pair of sneakers, one sweatshirt, and no warm socks. Well, about 10 days into my trip, the temperatures dropped dramatically. We're talking mid-60s and very windy, approaching record-cold temps for October! Man, I sure wish I'd had some warm socks, a warm jacket, and gloves! That wind coming off the lake at Epcot was cold! I had on my long yoga pants, but my legs were still really cold. Spent considerable time looking in all of the shops @ Epcot for some warm socks; finally found some in Japan, but they were the funny kind you wear with Japanese flip-flop-type shoes. I was glad to pay $10 for them, though, because they covered part of my legs!!!

:sad2: Okay now I have to re-think my packing list!!!!!

mishkamushka
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM

THIS is my problem -- I used to be very good at packing (and even planned outfits so I only brought so many clothes for each day) but this year we are going in December -- DECEMBER. That means anything goes. If it was just me and my husband, oh well we would deal with it -- either be hot or cold or wear the same thing twice etc. But we will have our 2 year old with us. I can't let him freeze or sweat AND with mickey bars and funnel cake etc. I doubt he'll be wearing the same thing twice.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy stuff while out there :rolleyes1

dinglefitzberry
07-26-2011, 06:48 PM

I found myself this morning thinking that maybe I should pack the nice wooden bowl on my coffee table. It would look great on our table at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there tomorrow!

We have roughly 80 hours worth of dvds packed for the car ride. It is a 15 hour drive.

I have many, many batteries packed, both rechargeable and ordinary. I am fairly certain that there ARE places where I could buy batteries on the way and even when we get there. But still! What if there aren't??

I believe a power greater than myself-the Dis community-could restore me to sanity.

I used to be the same way but thank goodness I have been cured.

1971DBday
07-26-2011, 06:53 PM
How???????????????????????????????????????

Taja
07-26-2011, 06:57 PM

*LOL*

We typically visit WDW in December and my BFF always complains that I take one good-sized checked bag (usually 24" or 25") plus my rolling laptop case as a carry-on. The carry-on contains what I absolutely must have (including contact lens stuff, eyeglasses, etc.) if my luggage goes missing for up to 48 hours--which has happened!

Since we visit WDW in December, I know that the weather will be variable over 10 to 12 nights. The forecast can be warm and sunny, but the jet stream can dip suddenly and drop the temperatures to freezing--or below--over two or three days! :eek:

Unless the weather gets stuck on one side or the other of the jet stream, I find that I usually do not overpack--and do have to do laundry at some point! The joy of packing clothing for extended travel in December! :rolleyes:

carly chloe
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Got the ultimate packing list out today!!!!:yay:

MooksterL1
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
We always drive because we like to hit the beach too. My dh says when we are on vacation he's afraid to open the sliding doors on the van in case it's like one of those old peanut cans were the snake jumps out. It's not that bad!! Maybe.

We are staying in a villa too so I have access to a washer/dryer, I just really do not want to do laundry on vacation. Maybe Tinkerbell would send me a laundry pixie? I do narrow down outfits for each day, label and put them in a ziplock bag, but before I zip the suitcase I think "Oh, look at that one. That's so cute!" or "What if they spill something?" and "Do we want to dress up for dinner?". It all goes downhill from there. And lets not get started on the shoes. No, I do not need heels at the beach or the parks, but somehow they hop into my bag just in case.

eliza61
07-27-2011, 09:47 AM
You know I read all these blogs and articles about people who can travel the world over out of one back pack and I always ask myself, WHY?

1) NO, I do not want to wash my undies out in the sink.
2) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of black shoes every day of my trip.
3) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of pants 3X's during my trip with a different blouse. I want a different outfit.
4) NO I don't want to wear the same shell top and layer it to try and give the appearance of a "evening" look and a "day" look.

Nothing worse in my opinion than getting dressed on vacation and realizing that you have the perfect shoes to go with your ensemble AT HOME :scared1:
I'm a proud overpacker. Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I want to look my best when I go on vacation. whether it's Disney or Paris, I want my shoes to match my outfit. ;) If that means budgeting in an extra 30 bucks for a check bag, so be it.

CoolMom2112
07-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi, I'm CoolMom and I'm an overpacker! :wave2:

We are getting ready for our longest vacation yet. 12 nights at Disney, but lets not forget the 2 before we check in, and the 2 after we get evicted.

Now, I don't WANT to do laundry. :laundy: I really don't. Like a PP said, I can do laundry at home for free, why would I want to pay $4 a load??!! :confused3

But I cannot, no matter how hard I try, I cannot bend the laws of physics! I cannot pack enough clothing for 5 people for 16 days!! (Well, and still get said 5 people in the van!) :lmao:

Besides, I don't think we even OWN enough clothes for everyone to have a clean (fresh) outfit over 16 days....:scared1:

Guess, I'll have to pack the detergent, laundry hamper, dryer sheets, clothespins... hmmm I think I'm forgetting something! :rotfl:

CoolMom

TagsMissy
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I've lost count how many times I've come home with stuff in my suitcase I've never worn!
:scared1:

Iwant2BAprincess
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I too, am an overpacker. I usually pack 3x's more shirts than I will ever wear, just in case I change my mind.

However...My DH (yes Him) is WORSE THAN ME!!! Not only does he bring more clothes than will be needed, he packs ALL of the hangers for them, shorts included.

Lets, talk shoes. I have mine down to a fail science at about 4 pairs for a week-brown and black and a couple of diff makes for comfort rotation. DH usually brings twice that many.

SDSorority
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I have packed and re-packed my suitcase probably.... 10 times now. And I still have a month and a half to go. :sad2:

I just need to tell myself-- you'll do LAUNDRY at the resort. You don't need ALL of these clothes. DH doesn't have many shorts. You're going to HAVE to do laundry anyway. Put.away.some.clothes.

But then as soon as I do that, I'll fill up my suitcase with other random things :rotfl: :headache:

BELLEDOZER
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I personally am a cured over packer. However when it come to the rest of the family it's a completely different matter altogether. With my 2 overactive boys DS7 and DS8, they tend to blow through clothes at an accelerated rate. So I like to pack at least 1 extra change of clothes, as I know that there is a pretty good chance that they are going to need it by the end of the trip. DH is also an over packer, and usually packs double of what I do, and I'm the one packing the medicine cabinet for the family. Drugs are the one thing I do over pack on, but it's for the reason that you never know if the kids are going to get sick on vacation, and I'd rather have the drugs on hand, rather than having to find a drug store open in the middle of the night for some drugs needed that I didn't bring with me. This happened this year on our Feb/11 trip to DL for 2 weeks. DS7 got sick with the flu while we were down there, and the over the counter meds I brought with me were a life saver.

Vowelmommy
07-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi, my name is Rachel, and I am an overpacker.
My record is when i took 12 pieces of luggage for a 10 day trip. Just for me.
I have gotten a bit more practical now that I have 4 kids, but I have a verrrry long packing list for this trip!!

mishkamushka
07-27-2011, 06:26 PM
You know I read all these blogs and articles about people who can travel the world over out of one back pack and I always ask myself, WHY?

1) NO, I do not want to wash my undies out in the sink.
2) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of black shoes every day of my trip.
3) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of pants 3X's during my trip with a different blouse. I want a different outfit.
4) NO I don't want to wear the same shell top and layer it to try and give the appearance of a "evening" look and a "day" look.

Nothing worse in my opinion than getting dressed on vacation and realizing that you have the perfect shoes to go with your ensemble AT HOME :scared1:
I'm a proud overpacker. Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I want to look my best when I go on vacation. whether it's Disney or Paris, I want my shoes to match my outfit. ;) If that means budgeting in an extra 30 bucks for a check bag, so be it.

OMG I am the same way!! In fact, I take it one step further. I like to buy NEW clothes before I go. Some people say they wear older clothes and then just donate them somewhere before they leave ... NOT ME!! I'm already putting aside clothes for my son and I so they are brand new for our trip!!

bmalonef45
07-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Count me in as an overpacker as well. I've been to WDW in June before and every time I go I continue to pack a pair of jeans... COME ON ITS FLORIDA!

Its mostly just clothes for me but I love the comment about the 80 hours of DVDs for the 15 hour trip... My DW has been guilty of that as well.

Great Topic!

MooksterL1
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
OMG I am the same way!! In fact, I take it one step further. I like to buy NEW clothes before I go. Some people say they wear older clothes and then just donate them somewhere before they leave ... NOT ME!! I'm already putting aside clothes for my son and I so they are brand new for our trip!!

Me too! My boys wanted to wear one of the new pairs of swim trunks into the pool last week and I said, "No, they are for the beach." before I even knew what I was saying!

Art 1
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi, my name is Rachel, and I am an overpacker.
My record is when i took 12 pieces of luggage for a 10 day trip. Just for me.
I have gotten a bit more practical now that I have 4 kids, but I have a verrrry long packing list for this trip!!

You would get along with my wife. It's embarrassing to me all the luggage she takes.

SallySkelington
07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Count me in, I over pack beyond belief and then don't use half of it. In the midst of planning a Disney Cruise... even after trying to downsize my list its too much! :scared1:

I'm sure once hubby actually gets a look at the list there will be an intervention. :rotfl:

lilwhiterabbit
07-28-2011, 12:41 AM
No I do not think that is too much. Of course you should see how I pack for the science fiction/fantasy conventions. Whew. Cosplayers are always dangerous packers.

I disagree! :goodvibes I pack very lightly when I don't have costumes to worry about. It's my partner who is the crazy overpacker. I have to go back through his stuff and weed out things I know he isn't going to need.

Planogirl
07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
We are flying for the first time in years and I'm worried about my tendency to overpack because of luggage fees! I don't want to get hit with huge fees.

We will have a rental car and I need to remember that I can buy stuff when we get to Florida. Of course, then we have to come home too...

TLinden16
07-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Since this is an old thread that has been revived, and this type of thread is now found on the theme parks community board, I'm going to move it there now.

hookedonears
07-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Wife and Daughter are card carrying members of that club as well. The airlines, however are doing what they can to help people with their addiction by charging for multiple and over weight bags.

Karbase8
07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it since you are driving, it's worse being an overpacker when you are flying so I think you are good Enjoy!!!!!:thumbsup2

BELLEDOZER
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I had no choice but to cure my Overpackingitis, because I've got a really bad back. I can't haul around 50lb suitcases, so I do try to underpack as much as possible (more room in the suitcase for souvies!!!). I do buy new clothes for the kids before each trip, as we surprise our kids with the trips to DL, and in 2015 to WDW. It's alot easier to pack their suitcases and hide them, if they don't suddenly realize all their fav clothes are missing. I justify this in the fact that they wear through clothes alot, and they need them anyway. It's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Alacrity
08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
A little extreme for some but traveling with one bag is kinda a hobby!

http://www.onebag.com/

http://www.1bag1world.com/

I've traveled Egypt for 2 weeks and Costa Rica for a week with one bag (not counting Scuba gear).