PDA

View Full Version : When do Kids in CA go back to school?

nun69
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
in the fall? :confused3 We want to plan a trip to Disney in August, but were thinking of doing it the last week in Aug {thinking that most of the school will be back in session at this time}...I know it is gonna be busy no matter when we go, but thought this timeframe might alleviate a little of the crowd...thanks

funnygarcia
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
My kids (and husband) started August 15th, not sure when the year round schools have their break and restart school again.

mindylovesmickey
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Dd does virtual academy and they don't start until after Labor Day, not that it matters since as long as we have our laptop she can do school anytime. :) And the actual school district here starts after Labor Day as well. You will find some traditional start before Labor Day, but there are still quite a few that start after. So, I'm not sure what kind of crowds you will run into, probably fairly heavy, with many trying to get one last trip in before school starts.

Donalds_best_pal
01-30-2008, 05:06 PM
It is pretty spread out here. I think most schools in South OC go back around September 5th or so.

CindyH
01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
We live in Marin County (north of San Francisco) and go back to school on August 20th.

4fosterkids
01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
For the first time last year our district started school the week BEFORE labor day. We have always started the Wed after labor day. I have not seen the calender for next year yet, but I heard they were keeping it the same around here.
There are many different districts in Orange County and many are on very different schedules and some are on year round tracks too.

sftnslky
01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
:flower: We live in Northern Ca... sorta near Sacramento, and our kids go back Aug 18th. They do go to a private Christian School, so not sure if that makes any diffrence or not. :confused3

JenDisneylandlver
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
My guess is that you'll see the summer crowds until after Labor Day. Too many schools are still out that week, not only in CA but everywhere else too!

Tink208
01-30-2008, 08:00 PM
We live in Marin County (north of San Francisco) and go back to school on August 20th.

We are in Marin County, too, and we go back on August 21st. (They try to coordinate all the school districts in the county, but it doesn't always quite work.)

pigletliz
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the last weekend in August is the Disney half marathon. If it is anything like the last two years, it should be pretty busy.

Vanvmom
01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
We're in No. CA and our year round schools go back mid July, and the traditional schools go back around the 3rd week of August. Sis-in-law teaches in the Orange County area, and they go back to school after Labor Day.

roxydotty
01-30-2008, 09:27 PM
It really has changed in So. California. Everyone use to go back to school after Labor Day. Now there is year round schedules or some schools starting the second or third week of August. But there are schools who have stuck with the traditional schedule and go back after Labor Day. I don't think it will be crazy busy like July or the first part of August.

FigmentsBiggestFan
01-30-2008, 11:38 PM
CUSD in Orange County goes back Sept 2 next year. It's the Tuesday after Labor Day.

Rapunsel
01-31-2008, 12:42 AM
The so cal and so cal select ap holders are able to return at that time.. So they do en masse....

It is a toss up...

nun69
01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for all the input, maybe we will go the middle of August instead of the end!

Silly Little Pixie
01-31-2008, 07:27 PM
It really has changed in So. California. Everyone use to go back to school after Labor Day. Now there is year round schedules or some schools starting the second or third week of August. But there are schools who have stuck with the traditional schedule and go back after Labor Day. I don't think it will be crazy busy like July or the first part of August.

I second that. I live in the IE (for you SoCal Dis-ers!) and while most traditional year schools here used to start after Labor Day, that has really changed in the last 2 years. Most locally are starting mid to late August, and the year rounds start in July. I'm a teacher and even our high schools next year go to "modified traditional" where they'll start mid August!

I'd guess that late August is better than mid August, though. Myself, we won't go at all in July and rarely in August! I'd rather wait till the first weekend after Labor Day to get my next DL fix! I hate crowds!