PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of other ways

squitty
03-05-2002, 11:37 AM
I was thinking of maybe doing New York to Orlando by Train or Greyhound after the quotes I have been getting for car hire. Has anybody had experience with these forms of transport in the USA.

thefatman
03-05-2002, 11:56 AM
I know there are a few trains that do runs to New York ( the main line isn't far from our villa)
http://www.amtrak.com/
though fares looked quiet high last time I looked at Orlando to LA via New Orleans.
Doing it by train sounds fun, not sure if I could do a bus though its probably cheaper.

squitty
03-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks Dave,

Have just checked both Amtrak and Greyhound and Amtrak came out cheapest...:)

BevS97
03-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Michelle,

I have taken Amtrack from New Jersey to Connecticut when I was visiting friends once - not admittedly that's not the greatest line in the world, and I was travelling alone with Katie (age 1) but it was a pretty hellish trip -the train was crowded and it had no facilities for luggage storage, or even food or drink for sale. Also it took 5 hours - it's about a 4 hour drive, but it stopped everywhere - I think there were 18 stops between NY and Hartford.

I don't want to put you off - but I would check into the detail of the train pretty carefully first.

Bev

squitty
03-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Bev,
I have checked the trains facilities
According to the Amtrak website the train has sleeping facilities and food etc..

Enright78
03-07-2002, 04:44 PM
If you go by train try Club class. We did this from Stamford CT to both Washington DC and to Boston and really enjoyed the experience, meals, wine and pampering!
Personally, I would avoid using the bus, your fellow travellers can be a bit...ahem....fragrant? It is after all the cheapest way to travel, but in my experience not my favourite! Once did NY to Syracuse this way, never again! Perhaps I am too fastidious?