PDA

View Full Version : OT - Granite Counter tops -

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm thinking of getting granite counter tops and am having such anxiety about picking a color.

I am redecorating my kitchen, picking out a new paint color and accessories, which I have not done yet because the granite has me at a stand still.

A little info: I have white cabinets, white appliances, a creamy beige flesh color tiled floor, white moldings and dark oak table and chairs. The kitchen can be seen from the living room, dining room, and family room. The colors that run through the house are Deep red, golden yellow and sage green. It's very traditional.

Any suggestions on a color?

micki7337
01-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Since granite is a natural product you need to go to a home depot or any kitchen design place with your kitchen colors and see if they can do a virtual mock up and test colors.

if that is not an option then well try to get color samples and bring them home and check them out in different lights.

also check how the colors go with what you are not changing and see what paint colors and floor colors go together.

I hope this helps

prncess674
01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Go with whatever makes you happy. If you don't want to choose bring over your most stylish friend and let them narrow it down to three colors and then pick from those.

Bren's Mom
01-23-2008, 07:20 AM
I like 'crema persa' in the last row:

http://granitecolors.mgcrenovations.us/thumbnails.php?album=7

It has both the creamy color and white in it so it will go with the floor and the cabinets...and some richer tones that will pick up on the wood. I think it would look pretty with your other colors (red, green, yellow).

Those are the same colors throughout my house and we didn't get granite but chose a formica almost the same look and love how it came out.

I agree with pp to look at as large a sample as you can get with your paint color, cabinets and floor.

StephMK
01-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Do you prefer the more uniform look or something with movement? Dark or light? I know the trend is to contrast light w/dark but I'd go with what you like best.

My DM has white cabinets, cherry floors & has the Venetian Gold -I think. It's beautiful! Deep brown, black, golds, little bits of dark red & some creamy whites. We did laminate but went w/less contrast & have light tan stone look counters w/white cabs & tan tile.

kathi29
01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Uba Tuba!
It's a dark green, with flecks of lighter green, gold, silver and black.

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Do you prefer the more uniform look or something with movement? Dark or light? I know the trend is to contrast light w/dark but I'd go with what you like best.

My DM has white cabinets, cherry floors & has the Venetian Gold -I think. It's beautiful! Deep brown, black, golds, little bits of dark red & some creamy whites. We did laminate but went w/less contrast & have light tan stone look counters w/white cabs & tan tile.

I tend to gravitate towards veins more so then speckled.

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I probably should have said I'm looking to get a French Country look in the end.

TaraPA
01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
We went for French Country (although a designer friend said this is more Traditional Old World than French Country)...anyway I have off white cabinets & fleshy tones too like you said....here is a granite color option for you - although mine is more speckled then veined. I now wish I would have gone with a more veined look...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2062.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2061.jpg

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
We went for French Country (although a designer friend said this is more Traditional Old World than French Country)...anyway I have off white cabinets & fleshy tones too like you said....here is a granite color option for you - although mine is more speckled then veined. I now wish I would have gone with a more veined look...

Love your kitchen! thanks so much for posting a picture. Please tell me the color of your granite.

Funny, my dining room is golden yellow also with the bottom being white with molding. We should hang sometime. lol

TaraPA
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
The kitchen granite was called Giallo Veneziano or something close to that. It came in 2 "classes" - the lower costing one had alot of peachy tones too it. I went with the upgraded one that had less peach, just enough to give it some character. It was PAINFUL to choose, we put granite in the kitchen, master bath & 1 other bathroom. I carried so many samples around for weeks that I had to have the builder get them from my truck, they were that heavy! It doesn't matter what you pick, granite really has the flexibility to adapt it's own colors to whatever you have around. I just wish I went with a more veined look - check out Giallo Portinari or Bordeaux - I've seen both of those in kitchens, they are along the same brown/gold/flesh color line, but not as speckled. Once you choose the color then you had to choose the egde......

Hey come hang anytime. We have all earthy yet traditional paint colors like you do - 3 different reds, 3 different browns, 3 different golds, and one green. I stepped outside of my comfort zone & did a terra cotta in the living room - and LOVE it until it's a very bright sunny day, then it looks like a mix between a basketball & Campbell's tomato soup.....blech....

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I have to check out those colors you listed. I just found this one and need to see it a real live piece of it, if you know what I mean.

Baltic Brown

crjack
01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I have to check out those colors you listed. I just found this one and need to see it a real live piece of it, if you know what I mean.

Baltic Brown

Baltic Brown is very nice. Santa Cecilia is similar to the Giallo Veneziano and would also look great. Same with Kashmir Gold. You can really do anything with white cabinets.

Check out the gardenweb kitchen forum. (www.gardenweb.com) It's under the home forums and they have an option on the kitchen forum to go to their kitchen gallery. It's loaded with photos that you may find helpful. I checked them constantly when we remodeled our kitchen.

We have Verde Butterfly and I love it. We have cherry cabinets though.

Also, the same stone can be listed under slightly different names depending on the stone yard so don't let it throw you.

www.louismian.com has a kitchen design option where you can plug in some colors to see how they look with cabinets. It's not bad although I know there are some better sites out there.

Good luck.

TaraPA
01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a chunk of Baltic Brown out in the garage! That was one of the final choices I had narrowed it down to. In the end I didn't choose that one because it was much darker than the others - which is fine if you want contrast, but I wanted to keep everything very traditional, and wanted the granite to blend more than to stand out. It was also very speckled - or even "round shapes" I'd say, not much veining in the pieces I saw. Keep that in mind if you want a more "veined" look. The OP mentioned the Kashmir Gold - that is gorgeous, I'd pick that over the Giallo Veneziano that I have now. Just google for whatever color you hear - tons of websites come up where you can see the colors & play around with them.

Seriously - are in the PA area? If so feel free to come see the 3 choices we put in the house, as well as to take the samples I have out in the garage of others!

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Baltic Brown is very nice. Santa Cecilia is similar to the Giallo Veneziano and would also look great. Same with Kashmir Gold. You can really do anything with white cabinets.

Check out the gardenweb kitchen forum. (www.gardenweb.com) It's under the home forums and they have an option on the kitchen forum to go to their kitchen gallery. It's loaded with photos that you may find helpful. I checked them constantly when we remodeled our kitchen.

We have Verde Butterfly and I love it. We have cherry cabinets though.

Also, the same stone can be listed under slightly different names depending on the stone yard so don't let it throw you.

www.louismian.com has a kitchen design option where you can plug in some colors to see how they look with cabinets. It's not bad although I know there are some better sites out there.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for posting that site, I saw a kitchen and asked about their granite color. I'll be checking out the colors you listed. Thanks you.

You should check out the site http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/Main...1-999042c09b6b Love this site.

Pixie Dust for Me!
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
OK...you sound like me too! We went with Verde Butterfly (or Pescara as other distributors call it) and we love it. It looks very rich on top of white cabinetry.

One final thing about granite countertops...be sure you seal your granite! My friend didn't and I don't want to tell you what hers look like..... Mine, on the other hand look great:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a chunk of Baltic Brown out in the garage! That was one of the final choices I had narrowed it down to. In the end I didn't choose that one because it was much darker than the others - which is fine if you want contrast, but I wanted to keep everything very traditional, and wanted the granite to blend more than to stand out. It was also very speckled - or even "round shapes" I'd say, not much veining in the pieces I saw. Keep that in mind if you want a more "veined" look. The OP mentioned the Kashmir Gold - that is gorgeous, I'd pick that over the Giallo Veneziano that I have now. Just google for whatever color you hear - tons of websites come up where you can see the colors & play around with them.

Seriously - are in the PA area? If so feel free to come see the 3 choices we put in the house, as well as to take the samples I have out in the garage of others!

Tara: That is so sweet of you, but it would be a trek for me NJ area, just to see colors of granite. That is funny that you had that color picked out. I'm going to check out the colors you suggested. Thanks

If you are anything like me you will love this site http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/Main.aspx?pguid=6db6be3f-1720-4ba3-a081-999042c09b6b check it out. In fact you probably should put your kitchen on the site and see what people rate it!! You did such a beautiful job with it.

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
OK...you sound like me too! We went with Verde Butterfly (or Pescara as other distributors call it) and we love it. It looks very rich on top of white cabinetry.

One final thing about granite countertops...be sure you seal your granite! My friend didn't and I don't want to tell you what hers look like..... Mine, on the other hand look great:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Does that color have green in it?

Yikes! on not sealing the granite, your poor friend.

TaraPA
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm going to check out that site....looks interesting! I'm about 10 miles west of Milford, NJ or Phillipsburg NJ - if that makes it any more tempting!

Soulsearching
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Tara: I hope you like the site.

It would be one heck of a trek to see granite. lol about tow hours. I don't think it's going to happen, but it certainly was tempting!

shelly3girls
01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Tara,
Is there any way you could post more pictures of your kitchen? Do you have the hardwood floors running into the kitchen from the dining room? If so I would really love to see it! We are thinking of a very similar kitchen design. I want to continue the hardwoods into the kitchen since the rest of the downstairs has them. DH wants tile but it would really break up the space especially since we already have the wood in the breakfast area.

Anyway, your kitchen includes almost everything we want and the layout is similar. I would love to see more pictures! TIA!

BTW, it is beautiful!

To the other poster, yes, the Verde Butterfly is a very dark green. We had it in our laundry room in our last house and it was absolutely beautiful! Everyone commented on it.

EMom
01-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Are you looking at relatively small samples or going to granite yards and looking at slabs? If possible, go look at slabs. Unless you want a very uniform granite (and you don't seem to) you need to see LARGE pieces. There can be so much variation. Ours looks completely different from one foot to another. (Yellow River....Not yellow and not from China.....:confused3 ) You'd think you were looking at two different granites. But we wanted a lot of flow and variation. Builders will not even offer it as a selection because if people look at a sample, there is zero chance the slab they get will arrive actually looking like the sample, and that tends to irritate buyers. But if I cut a piece off our slab for a sample and cut a piece next to it as a second sample, they'd look like 2 different granites.

Most granites will not have this much variation, but you'll see things you didn't expect. A sample may look great, but on a big old slab you realize it looks PEACH! Things like that. I haunted 8-10 granite yards on a regular basis cruising for slabs. For me, it was like looking for jewelry. :rotfl2:

Good luck.

buzz5985
01-24-2008, 04:32 AM
I found when I was upgrading my countertop, that what I thought would look good, and what actually went were two different things. DH is a plumber and was able to bring home a bunch of samples. Large 3' x 3'. We found a green granite with flecks of gold and brown that made the cabinets pop. It was like nothing that I picked in granite stores. When you put that sample up against the cabinet - it will speak to you. A little variation in color will not matter. The problem is people picked the wrong granite - not the variation in color - never went to begin with.

There is a product out there that will bring stains out of granite that has not been sealed.

Mermaid2sea
01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Whow your kitchens in the US are amazing.....

I'm from the UK and have decided to go for the typical Light Oak......Star Galaxy is meant to be v. popular over hear to go with the oak but I would like something different....

I just love watching US sitcoms for their houses...you guys are soo lucky your houses are sooo big compared to ours.....

java
01-24-2008, 05:45 AM
How about this Soul I am about 10 minutes east of Philipsburg- I'm just saying if you went to pick up the granite I know a nice place for lunch:rolleyes1
Tara! I love your kitchen the color is GREAT!

Soul you really will feel better about it all when you go to the quarry and take home a few samples. You may think you like one thing but seeing it in your home is different. Good luck and you have great taste it will look wonderful!

Soulsearching
01-24-2008, 06:32 AM
To all that I have mentioned to check out www.ratemyroom.com, I actually meant
http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/Main...1-999042c09b6b

Sometimes I get Brain Freeze!!!

Waving to Java!!!

I went back and edited all to reflect same.

crjack
01-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Soulsearching, is it possible for you to take one of your cabinet doors with you when looking at granite? We did and it made a difference. I don't know how to post pictures but I will have DH show me and I will try and put one up with my island. Our cabinets are cherry but our kitchen island is off-white. You can see how it looks with the verde butterfly.

It is a dark green granite but a little different from Uba Tuba which is one of the most popular dark green granites.

Also, in my area there are a lot more granite fabricators around since it has been so popular over the last few years. They typically have full slabs on site for you to see. A slab can be so different than a sample seen in a store.

The best advice we got was to get good referrals for your installer. Lots of people are doing it now but don't just go based on price. The edging and the seams are a big deal and you want someone who has experience doing it. The local cabinet shop we used gave us a great referral but ironically a poster on the gardenweb kitchen forum lived in MA and ended up giving us the same name! (small world on the internet).

Also, lighter granite colors are more porous than darker ones. Apparently darker stones are more dense. Granite is extremely durable but the lighter ones do need to be sealed to prevent staining from things like olive oil, lemon juice, red wine, etc. Acidic items can be absorbed over time so the sealing prevents that. It's clear and it won't impact your color at all.

TaraPA your kitchen is beautiful. Love your stove! I think we have the same microwave.

TaraPA
01-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Hey look at all the NJ people here discussing granite & kitchens! DISMEET! My offer is still open for anyone to come see the granite - ok, well really we could bring Disney pics along too! I'm only 10 miles west of the NJ border, right off of I78. If anyone is interested just let me know!

SoulSearching - glad you re-posted that site - I tried several times yesterday to get in & it wasn't working - now it will!

Shelly3girls - I took some quick pics this morning in the kitchen - crumbs and all - I will get them on photobucket & then onto this thread shortly. Warning I'm about to clog up the thread, I think I took about 6 pictures! Yes we have hardwood all throughout the 1st floor - including a powder room. It really flows well (in my opinion) with the hardwood in every room. There are 2 powder rooms on the 1st floor but the 2nd one is tile. You can see in the one pic where the tile stops & the hardwood starts. The tile is only in the hallway from the garage, mudroom & that 2nd powder room. That is the boys' bathroom - they are not allowed in the more formal powder room with the hardwood!

Off to transfer the pics....

Soulsearching
01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Soulsearching, is it possible for you to take one of your cabinet doors with you when looking at granite? We did and it made a difference. I don't know how to post pictures but I will have DH show me and I will try and put one up with my island. Our cabinets are cherry but our kitchen island is off-white. You can see how it looks with the verde butterfly.

It is a dark green granite but a little different from Uba Tuba which is one of the most popular dark green granites.

Also, in my area there are a lot more granite fabricators around since it has been so popular over the last few years. They typically have full slabs on site for you to see. A slab can be so different than a sample seen in a store.

The best advice we got was to get good referrals for your installer. Lots of people are doing it now but don't just go based on price. The edging and the seams are a big deal and you want someone who has experience doing it. The local cabinet shop we used gave us a great referral but ironically a poster on the gardenweb kitchen forum lived in MA and ended up giving us the same name! (small world on the internet).

Also, lighter granite colors are more porous than darker ones. Apparently darker stones are more dense. Granite is extremely durable but the lighter ones do need to be sealed to prevent staining from things like olive oil, lemon juice, red wine, etc. Acidic items can be absorbed over time so the sealing prevents that. It's clear and it won't impact your color at all.

TaraPA your kitchen is beautiful. Love your stove! I think we have the same microwave.

My sister-in-laws both had theirs done at the same place and they loved the work, so I know I will be going there.

I can definitely take a door off and I have a tile in the garage that I can bring that's not the problem. The problem is the lighting, it is so different everywhere I go and bring home a 3x3 piece of granite just doesn't cut it. It scares the bejeebees out of me. ya go outside it's one color, your in the store it's another color, you take it home it's another color. What's a woman to do??

I would love to see your kitchen, if you can post a pic.

Soulsearching
01-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Can't wait to see Tara's pics!

java
01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey look at all the NJ people here discussing granite & kitchens! DISMEET! My offer is still open for anyone to come see the granite - ok, well really we could bring Disney pics along too! I'm only 10 miles west of the NJ border, right off of I78. If anyone is interested just let me know!

LOL I think that is right by my Wegman's run? I am about 10 miles the other way from the border-

TaraPA
01-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok get ready, here they come. They are all DARK, sorry. I'm no whiz with the camera, and when I had the lights on they glared. It's very cloudy here & starting to flurry, so not much natural light....

this is coming in from the garage/mudroom/powder room - tile stops here & hardwood starts
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2546.jpg

looking into the breakfast room
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2549.jpg

Looking down the hall towards family room & beyond - lots of hardwood!
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2552.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2554.jpg

Mermaid2sea
01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Whow your pictures are amazing....thank you for sharing them with us....

LSchrow
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
WOW, tara........
your house is gorgeous!! :cloud9:
did you use a designer, or did you do it yourself? (the colors, the accessories, literally everything is beautiful ~ honestly, your home is much more striking than any i've seen in magazines)

i think i might incorporate a few of your ideas into my own home........:thumbsup2

laurie s

java
01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Wow Tara!!!:thumbsup2 That is one gorgeous kitchen. Is your table round? Doesn't look like it. I am hunting for a round that seats 6 that is cute and not country looking.
Any good accessory stores that I don't know about in the area? I keep hearing there is one in Philipsburg- off 22 near 57 but I can't find it?
Really nice kitchen thanks for sharing it!

TaraPA
01-24-2008, 08:44 AM
You are all really too kind...geez I'm flattered! I know I'm very lucky to have this kitchen, it is my dream kitchen. You should see the kitchen I had at my old house...1983 with peeling fake tile linoleum, bad mismatched appliances, rusting baseboard heaters....etc.etc.

The breakfast room table is bar-height rectangular & opens up to a large square to seat 8. It's s little too country for what I wanted, but oh well. Hey idea - anyone want to come Dis scrapbook? I'm not a big scrapbooker, just the basic, but I need to get my '07 trip pics in some sort of album. I could open up that table for once & make use of it!

A lot of my accessories are from....are you ready....the Thrift store! I'm a HUGE bargain shopper. Obviously, or I wouldn't have a house like this! We have an incredible Thrift Store right down the street from me. There is a great accessory store also down the street called Blissful Home - there is another one somplace in NJ - it's GORGEOUS home accents & accessories. I've gotten a few items there & love them all. I also like to pick over the clearance at Michaels. Hmmm now we could meet up to go check out our Thrift Store!

Someone asked if I used a designer. I had a kitchen designer design the layout & cabinets. He was from the cabinet shop where we had them made. Other than that I picked the rest. I had cut pictures from magazines for years to get an idea of what I wanted. We spend most of our time in the kitchen so I wanted it to be just what I wanted, and it is. My kitchen is simple compared to some of the others in the development. Most people around here have designers AND decorators. Thanks but I'll get my stuff from the Thrift Store & be happy with it!

Someone mentioned Wegmans - the one on 248 at Rt 33? I'm actually south of there about 20 min. Again....the invitation is open - scrapbooking, Thrift Store shopping....the list goes on! Can you tell DH has been away for 3 weeks & I'm craving adult conversation?????? I'm practically begging strangers to come to my home. I really need to get a life!

Soulsearching
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
So now your inviting strangers over, you must be desperate! You crack me up.

TaraPA
01-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I got used to working 35 hours a week during the holidays & the kids & DH being home....now that I'm back to 8 hours a week, kids are in school all day & DH is travelling for work - I find that some days the only humans I talk to are the kids when they're home!

I really do need some motivation to scrapbook my '07 Disney pics...so if anyone wants to come over & kick my butt into gear & work on it together I'm game!

TaraPA
01-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Ok back to the thread, took DH to the airport at 4am & kids are on the bus....so once again I'm ready to yap! Anyway - what do you all use to clean your granite? I mean daily wiping down, not heavy duty cleaning. Everything I use streaks - Windex, 409, Clorox Clean-up, etc. I do have a black bottle of something called Marba Mist which is the only thing I've found to make it shiny with no streaks, but it has an unpleasant odor. I can't find the Marba Mist in stores.

Also - how often to you need to re-seal granite, and what product do you use for that?

buzz5985
01-29-2008, 02:56 AM
I can't find the Marba Mist in stores.

Also - how often to you need to re-seal granite, and what product do you use for that?

Only use cleaners made for granite on granite. That means nothing in your grocery store. Where did you get your granite from?? Home Depot sells a package of products. They are in Black Spray bottles and sounds like your Marba Mist. It comes with an every day cleaner, an antibacterial cleaner, a polish and a sealant. The kit is around $25-$30. I have not noticed a bad odor.

I seal mine once a year, when I am going to be away for a couple of days. It's easy to do.

iwannago!!
01-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Once you narrow down your choices of granite, be sure to do some googling to find out other peoples experience with that same granite. Some light granites are horrible for staining... so if your child spills their red koolaid, or you spill your red wine, and you don't mop it up fast enough, you could have the red bleed into the granite. Most light granites will need to be sealed often. Dark granites are more forgiving with spills & staining, but do your research.

We went with Tan & Brown - which is a dark black with lots of brown in it, not far off from Baltic Brown. Here is a pic.
Good luck!

Tara - I have that same faucet in my kitchen and absolutely LOVE it!

Soulsearching
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Once you narrow down your choices of granite, be sure to do some googling to find out other peoples experience with that same granite. Some light granites are horrible for staining... so if your child spills their red koolaid, or you spill your red wine, and you don't mop it up fast enough, you could have the red bleed into the granite. Most light granites will need to be sealed often. Dark granites are more forgiving with spills & staining, but do your research.

We went with Tan & Brown - which is a dark black with lots of brown in it, not far off from Baltic Brown. Here is a pic.
Good luck!

Tara - I have that same faucet in my kitchen and absolutely LOVE it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27016425@N00/290714321/

Uhmmm, can't see your pic! Please try again. :)

TaraPA
01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I couldn't see the pic either. I'll look for that whole granite cleaning kit next time I'm at Lowes, then I've got the sealer right away too. Thanks for the info Buzz. We got our granite from a granite distributor, and they left the Marba Mist here when they installed it. I'm sure they sell it but it's not conveniently located for me to just run over for a bottle.

Soulsearching - make any decisions?

DMickey28
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I was just lurking on this thread and wanted to tell you, Tara, that I LOVE your kitchen.

After see all those pictures, I HAVE to see the outside of your house.

DH and I have been married for 3 years, 9month old DS and are really just starting out. Your house is the kind of house I dream of having in 10 years ... though I would kill to have it now!! :-)

hogue123
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking of getting granite counter tops and am having such anxiety about picking a color.

I am redecorating my kitchen, picking out a new paint color and accessories, which I have not done yet because the granite has me at a stand still.

A little info: I have white cabinets, white appliances, a creamy beige flesh color tiled floor, white moldings and dark oak table and chairs. The kitchen can be seen from the living room, dining room, and family room. The colors that run through the house are Deep red, golden yellow and sage green. It's very traditional.

Any suggestions on a color?

We have white cabinets as well. We just upgraded to granite. My husband likes the granite that is more uniform, absolute black to be exact. I like more movement and not so uniform. We compromised by doing absolute black on the perimeter cabinets and New Venetian Gold on the island. We LOVE it. The new venetian gold has a little black, dark dark burgundy, tanish/goldish color and some white and cream. Definitely go to a place where you can pick out your slab. As other posters have mentioned, they can be the same exact name and look like two completely different granites.

I have to agree with everyone else, Tara, your house is gorgeous!

TaraPA
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I was just lurking on this thread and wanted to tell you, Tara, that I LOVE your kitchen.

After see all those pictures, I HAVE to see the outside of your house.

DH and I have been married for 3 years, 9month old DS and are really just starting out. Your house is the kind of house I dream of having in 10 years ... though I would kill to have it now!! :-)

Ok I actually don't have any nice pics of the outside - the front shot is from the day we moved in 2 years ago, the week before Christmas. Not much landscaping or lighting or anything, we were just happy to get a pic for the family Christmas card (and to move out of the hotel we had to live in for 4 weeks til the house was done!) The side pic shows much better landscaping. Yes that's my wheelbarrow, I do almost all of the landscaping myself. I refuse to pay others for something I can (and should) do myself. And I enjoy it. That was a "before" pic from when I planted shrubs & grasses to hide those AC units.

Keep dreaming your dream. When DH & I moved to this town 12 years ago we were expecting out 1st baby, had 2 car payments & a house 1/3 this size with a hefty mortgage. I'd drive by this development & dream, wondering who could ever live there, they were so lucky. DH has a very good job & we were smart with our money, and look what it got us. Save save save now & your dreams will come true too! I'm living proof that it can be done! I grew up on a farm with little money, so I'm truly grateful for the things I have & I appreciate them, and take care of them. Now if I could just figure out how to re-seal that darn granite...

By the way your son is ADORABLE!! Ok let me find those pics....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1555.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1830.jpg

TaraPA
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
We have white cabinets as well. We just upgraded to granite. My husband likes the granite that is more uniform, absolute black to be exact. I like more movement and not so uniform. We compromised by doing absolute black on the perimeter cabinets and New Venetian Gold on the island. We LOVE it. The new venetian gold has a little black, dark dark burgundy, tanish/goldish color and some white and cream. Definitely go to a place where you can pick out your slab. As other posters have mentioned, they can be the same exact name and look like two completely different granites.

I have to agree with everyone else, Tara, your house is gorgeous!

New Venetian Gold is GORGEOUS!!! I have that in my master bath. I love love love the flecks of plum/burgundy in it. Post some kitchen pics of that with the absolute black, wow I bet that makes a statement. I had actually wanted New Venetian Gold for my kitchen, I had seen it in a model house when we started to build, and fell in love with it. But when I got the samples next to my buttercream cabinets something was just off. So upstairs it went, with my dark bathroom cabinets! Let me dig out a pic...see if it's close to yours...post yours too please!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_0052.jpg

DMickey28
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Your house is beautiful. Do you mind if I ask sq. ft, bed/bath and living areas?

I live on the CB but came over here after really realizing that i need to stop talking about our budget and actually live it so that we can get there. Otherwise the money will keep going out the door on things that don't matter.

Thanks for the compliment on my DS.

Elvis33
01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I too, took months to pick my granite. Off white cabs, wood floor, almond appliances. I chose Juperana Casablanca. Get soooo many compliments on it. Really warms the kitchen. I've had it 2 years. Only clean it with a moist micro fiber cloth and then polish it with a dry one. Have never resealed it- it looks great. The Juperana Casablanca hides so much. Solids tend to show every speck of dust and crumb. My only complaint is that this time of year it feels cold, especially in the morning when I'm eating at the breakfast bar.

Soulsearching
01-30-2008, 06:29 AM
I couldn't see the pic either. I'll look for that whole granite cleaning kit next time I'm at Lowes, then I've got the sealer right away too. Thanks for the info Buzz. We got our granite from a granite distributor, and they left the Marba Mist here when they installed it. I'm sure they sell it but it's not conveniently located for me to just run over for a bottle.

Soulsearching - make any decisions?

Tara: Your house is beautiful!!!!

About the granite, it's going to take time. DH is a slow mover, I just planted the seed for this year, hopefully he will come around next year. Life is flying us by, he wonders if we will even be here in a couple of years. My children are much older then yours, I will be paying for two colleges in September. Yikes!!! I feel alone now, I can't imagine what September will bring, anyway I'm in my forties and have been home since I'm 26. I need to start a new path for myself, but hey that's a whole other topic.

stars75238
01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Would you mind posting more pictures of the master bath - you have amazing taste!

I'm getting ready to remodel our bath and have had such a time finding granite that I love with dark brown cabinets. The other things I am sold on are oil rubbed bronze fixtures and a similar tile to your tub around our tub and in the shower!

It is absolutely stunning!

hogue123
01-30-2008, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=TaraPA;22862244]New Venetian Gold is GORGEOUS!!! I have that in my master bath. I love love love the flecks of plum/burgundy in it. Post some kitchen pics of that with the absolute black, wow I bet that makes a statement. I had actually wanted New Venetian Gold for my kitchen, I had seen it in a model house when we started to build, and fell in love with it. But when I got the samples next to my buttercream cabinets something was just off. So upstairs it went, with my dark bathroom cabinets! Let me dig out a pic...see if it's close to yours...post yours too please!

I will take some pictures of the kitchen. I have to get the kids off to school first.... From the picture, your new venetian gold looks slightly different than mine. Your bathroom is gorgeous too! Wow. What a dream home. Congratulations on the house. You did a wonderful job decorating and picking out your colors.

TaraPA
01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Hogue - we just got the standard New Venetian Gold granite - they had upgraded versions for more $$ but I didn't want to spend more for a bathroom. Maybe yours is the upgraded one if it looks different. Can't wait to see your pics.

SoulSearching - I think I hijacked your thread into the "pictures of Tara's house" thread! Sorry! Thank you though to everyone who asked to see pics & for the compliments. I took forever to pick colors & materials, but it was fun. Hopefully others will post their granite pics too, to give you some more ideas. Or to confuse you ever further! So you'll have empty nest syndrome in the fall? So you'll be on here too, just like me, begging strangers to come over - like I was the other day? Maybe then you'll want to make the trek to PA for some coffee & some Disney talk! I could call it a house tour - but really I just want the company - and to get my Disney pics organized. The offer still stands...

Ok someone wanted more master bath pics...gotta say it's one of my favorite rooms we did in the whole house. I have to go pick up the wet towels & yesterday's clothing before I can take pics! Will post later...

TaraPA
01-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Your house is beautiful. Do you mind if I ask sq. ft, bed/bath and living areas?

I live on the CB but came over here after really realizing that i need to stop talking about our budget and actually live it so that we can get there. Otherwise the money will keep going out the door on things that don't matter.

Thanks for the compliment on my DS.

I'm on the CB a lot too. I usually jump between that & Budget Board. House is 4400 sq feet with 4BR, 4BA & 2 offices. Basement is another 2000 sq feet but it's not finished.

Will post master bath pics for OP this afternoon, I'm off to work for a little bit. Unless the cable or power go out - it's WINDY over here!

Soulsearching
01-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Hogue - we just got the standard New Venetian Gold granite - they had upgraded versions for more $$ but I didn't want to spend more for a bathroom. Maybe yours is the upgraded one if it looks different. Can't wait to see your pics.

SoulSearching - I think I hijacked your thread into the "pictures of Tara's house" thread! Sorry! Thank you though to everyone who asked to see pics & for the compliments. I took forever to pick colors & materials, but it was fun. Hopefully others will post their granite pics too, to give you some more ideas. Or to confuse you ever further! So you'll have empty nest syndrome in the fall? So you'll be on here too, just like me, begging strangers to come over - like I was the other day? Maybe then you'll want to make the trek to PA for some coffee & some Disney talk! I could call it a house tour - but really I just want the company - and to get my Disney pics organized. The offer still stands...

Ok someone wanted more master bath pics...gotta say it's one of my favorite rooms we did in the whole house. I have to go pick up the wet towels & yesterday's clothing before I can take pics! Will post later...

Hi Tara:

By all means high jack the thread. I'm loving it and your right maybe in September I'll take the hike and come for coffee!

Post away, can't wait to see more pics!!!!

hogue123
01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Ok. Straightened up a bit and took some kitchen pics. The two different granites in the kitchen may not appeal to everyone, but it's mine and DH way of a compromise. He loved the looks of the sleek absolute black but I just knew with him and the three boys that it would look terrible and full of hand prints all the time. Since we use the island all the time, I wanted something that would hide that better. The New Venetian Gold hides it all. You will be able to see by the back of the island that it doesn't match the rest of the kitchen. We are having that trimmed out in wood this weekend. I am not sure if I am going to paint it white or the wall color. Any thoughts on what I should do???

I hope this isn't too many pictures......

Here is a close up of the New Venetian Gold granite on the island....
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen016.jpg

Here's the Absolute Black. My husband loves the way it looks with the appliances and cabinets.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen002.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen003.jpg

Here's the island...
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen005.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen006.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen010.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen013.jpg

I repainted a dining set. This use to be a white and wood table/chairs. I just painted black over the white. Totally changed the look of it. I am happy. Only cost me about $10 to do verses $800-$1000 for another set in black....

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Kitchen011.jpg

stars75238
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
That is one Beautiful Kitchen - love the two granite colors and awesome job on painting the table and chairs!!!

Great taste!!!

hogue123
01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
That is one Beautiful Kitchen - love the two granite colors and awesome job on painting the table and chairs!!!

Great taste!!!

Thank you! :)

TaraPA
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
LOVE the 2 colors of granite. My other pic must have been bad because your New Venetian Gold looks exactly like my master bath New Venetian Gold! Your wall color is very similar to my breakfast room & DR. Love it! Will post master bath pics for OP after dinner...

hogue123
01-30-2008, 04:08 PM
LOVE the 2 colors of granite. My other pic must have been bad because your New Venetian Gold looks exactly like my master bath New Venetian Gold! Your wall color is very similar to my breakfast room & DR. Love it! Will post master bath pics for OP after dinner...

I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your gorgeous house!

The New Venetian Gold does look similar. For some reason when I saw your picture of your granite top in your bathroom, it looked lighter than mine. It may be the picture or the computer. Yours looked more white/cream colored that comes out rather than tan/gold color. I think that you have to see the granite in person to really appreciate the beauty. Pictures just do not do it justice.

thumpery
01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I've been lurking through this thread and love the pics! Because of you guys I now want new countertops. ;) I was just wondering if anyone here has ever heard of Cambria? Do you have any comments about it or other suggestions to look at. We want to look into all options. Also, what do you guys think about laminate hard wood compared to regular hard wood. Tara, what is your flooring/color? I too have off white cupboards and love your look. Thanks in advance!

hogue123
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I've been lurking through this thread and love the pics! Because of you guys I now want new countertops. ;) I was just wondering if anyone here has ever heard of Cambria? Do you have any comments about it or other suggestions to look at. We want to look into all options. Also, what do you guys think about laminate hard wood compared to regular hard wood. Tara, what is your flooring/color? I too have off white cupboards and love your look. Thanks in advance!

I heard of and have looked at the Cambria. It's quartz. I did not like it as well because I like the look of granite better (less uniform, has movement and character to it). Quartz has a very uniform look to it and most I saw were speckled. It is also really expensive. We did our kitchen in granite for about half the price it was to do quartz. I think it's a personal preference. I can not comment on the laminate flooring. We only have hardwood.

iwannago!!
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Uhmmm, can't see your pic! Please try again. :)

SORRY! I have to figure this out... I can't seem to post my pics from Flickr or Yahoo??? I have some great granite shots of the Tan Brown in my kitchen and the new bathroom shots (absolute black). I will figure it out soon and post them.

Tara, wanna trade houses??? hmmm???? :rolleyes1 Your house is GORGEOUS! It kinda reminds me of... a castle!

iwannago!!
01-30-2008, 08:11 PM

We explored a couple options before choosing the granite for out kitchen, such as Cambria. IIRC, there wasn't a big price difference between that and the granite, not when you figured in the edges, backsplash etc. I guess it came down to this....... Cambria, and others like it, try real hard to be just like granite. So, if that is the case, why not just get the granite? Nothing is as good as the rock itself, ya know?

TaraPA
01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Tara, wanna trade houses??? hmmm???? :rolleyes1 Your house is GORGEOUS! It kinda reminds me of... a castle!

ROFL - yeah that makes me the PRINCESS!!!! And no one better forget it! :lmao:

TaraPA
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Sorry I don't know a thing about Cambria...enlighten me!! I have only ever had real hardwood, so I don't know anything about laminate either. I have regular hardwood in the kitchen. I wanted a much darker color but DH said no way. I think ours is 1 shade darker than the "normal" stain they use for most houses these days. I can't remember the exact stain name but if you said it I'd know it! It's Minwax stain I think, whatever the standard brand is, I think it comes in a yellow can???

iwannago!!
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Tara,
Here is a link that I found on Cambria that has some Q&A. http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm

We have hardwood floors too. This is an old house though, so some things are different... Such as the downstairs is both Cedar (dining/living room) and Oak (entry way). Upstairs is Maple and they are beautiful! Our floor guy that redid our floors for us did an excellent job of mixing the stains to match when on all the different wood types. He actually had to 'trick' the Maple with mineral spirits (IIRC) in order to get it to take the stain.
I think that we used a few different ones, mostly mixed together: Provincal, Early American, Special Walnut, Golden Oak. http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/woodfinish-color.cfm

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 07:54 AM
iwannago - I checked out the site - it looks like a great alternative to granite - no maintenance! But is it much more expensive than granite? I think our stain is Early American but I wanted Dark Walnut. To this day I still wish I just would have done it. With 10-foot ceilings & 3 rooms open to the 2nd floor the darker floor wouldn't have made it seem smaller, I don't think. That was DH's concern, that we'd feel small & dark. Maybe in 10 years when the kids are gone & it's time to get them re-done!

I see you were at The Dolphin in '05 with just one DD - wasn't that great? I just got back last month from the Dolphin with just one son, DS7, and it was one of the best trips ever. I had taken my other DS (10 now, 6 then) a few years back.

Ok off to get those master baths pics ready to post....warning I'm hijacking the thread again! Sorry SoulSearching!

Soulsearching
01-31-2008, 08:15 AM
iwannago - I checked out the site - it looks like a great alternative to granite - no maintenance! But is it much more expensive than granite? I think our stain is Early American but I wanted Dark Walnut. To this day I still wish I just would have done it. With 10-foot ceilings & 3 rooms open to the 2nd floor the darker floor wouldn't have made it seem smaller, I don't think. That was DH's concern, that we'd feel small & dark. Maybe in 10 years when the kids are gone & it's time to get them re-done!

I see you were at The Dolphin in '05 with just one DD - wasn't that great? I just got back last month from the Dolphin with just one son, DS7, and it was one of the best trips ever. I had taken my other DS (10 now, 6 then) a few years back.

Ok off to get those master baths pics ready to post....warning I'm hijacking the thread again! Sorry SoulSearching!

Tara: Hijack away! love seeing the pics.

No need to be sorry, I really am enjoying the thread.

So anytime you want to hijack you have my permission. Enjoy! that goes for other also.

Post your pics!

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok here are master bath pics. I'm not the best photographer, sorry!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2556.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2557.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2558.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2559.jpg

sorry, everything reflecting in the mirrors on that last one makes it very BUSY...

hogue123
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
iwannago - I checked out the site - it looks like a great alternative to granite - no maintenance! But is it much more expensive than granite?

Tara - We priced a few of the black Cambria colors for our kitchen and we were getting price quotes close to $90 or more per sq.ft. The price we got on the absolute black granite was closer to $50. Almost half. Of course we went with the granite. This is in Cincinnati Ohio. Not sure how much it is elsewhere. We also saw the product in showrooms and the seams looked terrible. It could be partly due to the person who installed it, or the perfectly uniform look of the Cambria. Our New Venetian Gold has 4 seams in the island (due to it's size) and you can barely see them. If you didn't know they were there, you may not even notice it.

Your bathroom pictures are great! Can you come to Ohio and design a bathroom for me????? Please???!!! You have great taste. We are eventually going to remodel our master bath (do the things we couldn't afford to do when we built the house 7 yrs ago) Your colors are just what I like :)

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey Ohio's not that far....LOL...the best thing we did in the bathroom is to install radiant heat under the tile floor. OMG, I wish we would have done that in every room. There is nothing like stepping out of the shower onto a hot floor (I lay my towel there too while I'm showering so it's nice & toasty when I get out), or getting up in the middle of the night (especially lately around here, it's been freezing cold) and walking on a warm floor. The other thing I love is the shower jets - we installed 3 body jets, a rainhead & a hand held jet - nothing like it! So keep those in mind when you do your re-model. Worth every penny. I didn't paint the bathroom, it's contractor grade off white. I like simple colors - very earthy, I have a little sage green in the towels & accents in there, that's it. One day I might paint the walls a deeper ivory, not sure. I'm taking a paint break for a few months. In the last 2 years I did almost every room in the house & I'm DONE. Sick of it. The most daring room I did was terra cotta - LOVE IT when it's dim outside, but when it's very bright & sunny it's a basketball color. Blech. I keep putting dark wood & dark furniture in there to calm it down but nothing works. I call it the Campbells Tomato Soup room!

pamjb
01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Now that's the bathroom of a coffee addict.....a coffee pot in the bathroom :rotfl:

hogue123
01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey Ohio's not that far....LOL...the best thing we did in the bathroom is to install radiant heat under the tile floor. OMG, I wish we would have done that in every room. There is nothing like stepping out of the shower onto a hot floor (I lay my towel there too while I'm showering so it's nice & toasty when I get out), or getting up in the middle of the night (especially lately around here, it's been freezing cold) and walking on a warm floor. The other thing I love is the shower jets - we installed 3 body jets, a rainhead & a hand held jet - nothing like it! So keep those in mind when you do your re-model. Worth every penny. I didn't paint the bathroom, it's contractor grade off white. I like simple colors - very earthy, I have a little sage green in the towels & accents in there, that's it. One day I might paint the walls a deeper ivory, not sure. I'm taking a paint break for a few months. In the last 2 years I did almost every room in the house & I'm DONE. Sick of it. The most daring room I did was terra cotta - LOVE IT when it's dim outside, but when it's very bright & sunny it's a basketball color. Blech. I keep putting dark wood & dark furniture in there to calm it down but nothing works. I call it the Campbells Tomato Soup room!

Thanks for the tip on the radient heat in the floor. That sounds like a definite MUST! Got pics of the Campbells Tomato Soup room??? Sounds interesting. I like darker colors. I just did a color similar to that in my 1/2 bathroom. It's more red than orange though.

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Now that's the bathroom of a coffee addict.....a coffee pot in the bathroom :rotfl:

ROFL - you betcha!!!!! DH's office is through that door so technically it's his - he has his offce, a fridge in his office and the coffee pot - and the bathroom - what more could he want? We could literally not see him for days at a time!

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Got pics of the Campbells Tomato Soup room??? Sounds interesting. I like darker colors. I just did a color similar to that in my 1/2 bathroom. It's more red than orange though.

This is turning into a thread I subscribe to on the Theme Parks & Attractions board - "Show Me A Picture Of....." then someone posts that, and requests another pic....

Ok I'll go take a pic of the Campbell's Tomato Soup room if you post one of your 1/2 bath so we can compare terra cottas...

Now the thread is "I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours!!" ROFL!!

hogue123
01-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok I'll go take a pic of the Campbell's Tomato Soup room if you post one of your 1/2 bath so we can compare terra cottas...

Now the thread is "I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours!!" ROFL!!

Wow. I didn't realize how ORANGE mine looked until I downloaded these pictures! :eek: The 1/2 bath doesn't get a lot of light. We have a window in there but it's in the back of the house where it's not as bright so it never looked orange until the flash brought it out in the pictures. It was difficult to take pictures since it's a small area. I had to try to wedge myself between the wall and the side of the toilet for one of the pictures :lmao: I couldn't get back far enough to get a floor to ceiling picture. I took a picture at the new mirror I put up (it use to be a plain frame less oval mirror over the sink). We still have work to do. We are going to get either black or oil rubbed bronze light, towel ring and faucet and we need to put up crown molding. The reflection in the mirror shows the cabinet above the toilet on the opposite wall.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/bathroom010.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/bathroom013.jpg

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
OMG same here! I took about 8 pics because in one it looked bright orange, then then next it looked brown. I had to laugh out loud when you said you were wedging yourself between things - I was on the piano bench, on the settee, sitting on the floor, etc. doing the same thing. I took one pic where I think I got 5 or 6 rooms in 1 pic - all different colors. Looks like a circus! Thank God I stay neutral in my colors. I LOVE your terra cotta. It's much more orange-red than mine. Mine is orange-orange! Yours is deeper I think. More reddish brown than bright orange, be happy about that! Love it. I think black or oil rubbed bronze would be stunning in there. What paint is it, do you remember?

hogue123
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
The paint is from Eddie Bauer Home, Ridgeline Cabin collection and the color is called SIENNA (EB37-1).

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Here's the Campbell's Tomato Soup Room....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2570.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2567.jpg

Here's the one where you can actually see 6 different paint colors - the gold/green DR, the medium brown foyer & up the stairs, the Campbell's Tomato Soup room, the tan Family Room, the red that starts the hall into the kitchen, and the gold/yellow in the breakfast room. Whew.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2569.jpg

soccerchick
01-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Baltic Brown

I have this one, which I love.It goes well w/my maple cabinets. My parents re-did their kitchen and they have white cabinets. Now if I could get them to repaint their walls it would look great.

The only problem with the Baltic brown is that I want to do tile backsplash and three years later still haven't picked out tile I like to go with it.

Meanwhile, DH keeps getting to do all the other projects on my list and this one keeps getting skipped.

hogue123
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Tara, I LOVE the campbells soup room! I was actually looking for more of a orangy copper brownish color. I couldn't find one I liked so I went with the redder color.

I love the color by your stairs. Is that a green? We are in the process of updating and repainting the first floor of our house (that's why the kitchen and 1/2 bath were re-done). I am doing a tan color in the great room with a chocolate brown wall as an accent wall (I am using some Ralph Lauren colors- I love their neutrals. They are such nice colors). We have a 2 story great room and lots of windows so I don't think the chocolate brown will be too dark.... or at least I hope it isn't! The entry I want to be a different color but can't decide on one. The color will have to go with the browish/greenish/gold color in the kitchen and the brown and tan color in the great room, as the house is an open floor plan. The entry is 2 story and we are going to have that panel moulding put on the bottom half of the wall and crown moulding at the ceiling. So there will be a lot of light and trim (2 story entry with a big window and open to the upstairs and you get the light from the great room windows as well). I am not afraid of dark colors and with the lighting in this area, anything would work. I was leaning towards a color similar to what you have but can not find the right shade.... Do you know what it's called??

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Your foyer/family room sounds just like mine so yes you can handle a chocolate brown wall for sure. You will be amazed how it makes anything white pop. I say out loud at least once a week "Boy I'm so glad we painted these rooms!" My foyer color is a medium brown/chocolate from Sherwin Williams called Hopsack. The family room is Sherwin Willams Latte. They were on the same color card, 2 shades apart. It was so hard to pick. I now wish I would have gone even darker. My 2nd choice for the foyer was a dark Ralph Lauren forest green, but I was scared it would be too dark. I don't think it would have been. Here's a pic showing the 2 brown colors side by side. Our house is open concept like yours so it's difficult to find a place to stop one color & start the next. The only place it's noticeable is in the hallway upstairs - looking left & down the back stairs is latte, looking right & down the front stairs is hopsack.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1647.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1650.jpg

kathi29
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Okay. I am moving in with you. Your house rocks!

hogue123
01-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Your foyer/family room sounds just like mine so yes you can handle a chocolate brown wall for sure. You will be amazed how it makes anything white pop. I say out loud at least once a week "Boy I'm so glad we painted these rooms!" My foyer color is a medium brown/chocolate from Sherwin Williams called Hopsack. The family room is Sherwin Willams Latte. They were on the same color card, 2 shades apart. It was so hard to pick. I now wish I would have gone even darker. My 2nd choice for the foyer was a dark Ralph Lauren forest green, but I was scared it would be too dark. I don't think it would have been. Here's a pic showing the 2 brown colors side by side. Our house is open concept like yours so it's difficult to find a place to stop one color & start the next. The only place it's noticeable is in the hallway upstairs - looking left & down the back stairs is latte, looking right & down the front stairs is hopsack.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1647.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_1650.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Tara. I love the colors. Time to get out the Sherwin Williams paint samples! I have quite a collection from Lowes, Home Depot and I have the Concepts in Color book from Sherwin Williams. I love all the colors in your house. They are very much my taste. I am really trying to mix things up a bit. We've had the same wall color in the kitchen, great room, entry and upstairs hallway for 7 years! I am tired of it all being the same color. It's kinda depressing. I love how your house is all different colors but they all flow so well together. That is the idea I had in mind for my house. The guys are coming to do the trim this weekend and paint for us. Luckily, my husband's brother is a carpenter and his employee is a painter :thumbsup2 I will have to take some pictures when it's all done. We're going to get the paint tomorrow so I will have to let you know what we ended up going with.

Maybe you should create a thread for home decorating advice? You're great at it and your house shows that!

iwannago!!
01-31-2008, 01:47 PM

Tara, I think that we could be living parallel lives! Well, except you got the castle! We just redid our bathroom and have the SAME shower! except ours has 4 body sprays and our rain head is a bit different. We got the Moen, but I cannot recall which... our tile looks a LOT alike too ,and I got the orange thing going in the bathroom too. Then we have the same kitchen faucet. How ironic is that? Your home is really beautiful!!!!!

Ok - how do I get these pics to post? I just gotta show you now! HELP, I need tutoring!

BTW, my trip with just me and dd when she was 10 was my most memorable! It was really nice! Beside, we escaped the babies for a couple days and we both needed that!

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
iwannago - I can't take credit for the nice orange bathroom - that belongs to hogue123....I had the Campbell's Tomato Soup room! :lmao: I MUST see pics of your bathroom now. I download my pics to photobucket.com, then there is a share link for message boards (the link starts [IMG.....) - I just highlight that link, copy it, and paste it in my DISBoard response. Make sense? If I can figure it out, so can you, I know nothing about computers. I don't really know anything about painting either, I just got lucky that my colors worked. I did a neat tone-on-tone stripe thing in my bedroom, maybe I'll save those to post tomorrow - I'm off work then too & will need something to do!

720L
01-31-2008, 02:04 PM
OK everyone with the glass showers......I have one also--what do you do to keep the glass clean? How do you remove the buildup and streaks? I always think I have mine cleaned then the sun comes out and its not clean! Oh and what do you clean your tile shower with? I haven't found anything I love yet.

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Okay. I am moving in with you. Your house rocks!

Come on over, my door is always open. And now that I see it from the inside on that pic it might be time to think about painting it dark chocolate....:rotfl:

TaraPA
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
OK everyone with the glass showers......I have one also--what do you do to keep the glass clean? How do you remove the buildup and streaks? I always think I have mine cleaned then the sun comes out and its not clean! Oh and what do you clean your tile shower with? I haven't found anything I love yet.

ME NEITHER!! It's an all-day project to clean it. We use a squeegie after every shower which helps, but as you can see on my pics we have hard water & the tile & glass get white build-up. My cleaning routine (which unfortunately is not nearly enough) is to spray the tile AND glass with Scrub Free cleaner (works on the soap scum) and Lime Away (for the lime build up). I know I know, don't mix cleaners. It's the only thing that works, and I'm still here after 2 years of doing it...I scrub by hand with a hard bristle scrub brush. Rinse with water. When dry, use Windex on the glass with newspaper. Not paper towels, newspaper works much better. And then it looks great until like you said, the sun comes out the next day & it's all streaky....

Anyone else have the magic trick???

iwannago!!
01-31-2008, 02:12 PM
I have this one, which I love.It goes well w/my maple cabinets. My parents re-did their kitchen and they have white cabinets. Now if I could get them to repaint their walls it would look great.

The only problem with the Baltic brown is that I want to do tile backsplash and three years later still haven't picked out tile I like to go with it.

Meanwhile, DH keeps getting to do all the other projects on my list and this one keeps getting skipped.

We did a full backsplash in granite vs the 4" backsplash that they wanted to put up. It wasn't that much more of an upgrade. it looks great, something to consider instead of tile.

720L
01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks so much for posting that site, I saw a kitchen and asked about their granite color. I'll be checking out the colors you listed. Thanks you.

You should check out the site http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/Main...1-999042c09b6b Love this site.

Thanks a lot! Now I have another web site to be obsessed with besides the DIS!!! :love:

iwannago!!
01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
We squeegy our shower tile after every shower too, and that makes a big difference. I have used a little vinegar diluted with water to clean with. We don't have a shower door yet, it is orderd, but I heard that the vinegar & water worked... no?

720L
01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
We squeegy our shower tile after every shower too, and that makes a big difference. I have used a little vinegar diluted with water to clean with. We don't have a shower door yet, it is orderd, but I heard that the vinegar & water worked... no?

It works ok--I think if you did it at least once a week maybe it would. I'm too lazy--I clean it every couple weeks, but I wipe it and the shower down every day with a towel. I use BonAmi and make it into a very wet paste- and gently wipe the glass. I was told to do this by the people we bought the shower door from. We've been here 2 years now and it hasn't scratched it. It takes the buildup off, but the door still isn't streak free.

Hixski
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I caught this thread because I am thinking about granite for our kitchen too. There is a remodeling thread on the CB that has lots of great pictures of everyones paint, kitchens, baths, everything really. Here it is for anyone who wants to subscribe. Fair warning though, it is a looonng thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1379800

Everyones pictures here are beautiful!!! I am starting to get the warm fuzzies for that New Venetian Gold.:lovestruc

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Wake up wake up! Ok I wil post another pic to get everyone moving here today......this is a way cool piece of granite - it had no veins in it when I picked it - and I didn't like it at 1st when I saw it, but now I think it's really unique that it actually looks like water flowing from one sink to the next! It's my boys' bathroom. Walls are now a pale grey/blue and the floor is a dark grey tile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_0050.jpg

hogue123
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Tara,

I love that granite! What is it called? I like the movement in it. Another great job! Post all the pics you want. I enjoy looking at them.

Amy

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Amy - glad to finally realize your name! Anyway I have NO idea what this granite is called & have never seen it anywhere else, or on a website. I also don't have a sample with the others I got, no idea why. If someone knows what it is please let me know! I do remember it was the most expensive per sq foot that we got, but we just needed this one slab for the vanity top & backsplash, so it wasn't too bad. There wasn't another white/grey that I saw that I liked, so we went for it.

This thread has inspired me to paint. DS10 want a Philadelphia Eagles room. I have the Eagles green paint picked out, but it's more a teal blue/green, which is SO not me. Sherwin Williams said they get the request for Eagles green all the time, so they have one just for that. I said I'd do a half wall in it & then slap an Eagles border in the middle, and leave the top half of the walls white or light grey.

I do have another painting dilema maybe you all can help me with. I have no idea what to do with the tray ceilings in my master BR or sitting room. I will post pics & then everyone needs to give me ideas...

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok this is the neatest painting I've done - tone-on-tone stripes - very subtle yet formal looking...anyway....look up in the pics - both rooms have a tray ceiling. In the BR I've painted the sides of the tray the same gold as the walls, but not the ceilling of the tray. I originally had Sherwin Williams match the spa blue from my bedding to paint the ceiling of the tray, but then chickened out, I'm not a fan of blue. My other thought is to use the dark brown/gold from my foyer (Sherwin Williams Haycock) for the ceiling, and then go over it with a metallic bronze faux finish. I thought this would look deep & rich. Or like someone threw up on the ceiling....

stripes in progress
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/MasterBR.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2576.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2573.jpg

I didn't carry the stripes into the sitting room, I thought it was too much, so this is just flat Victorian Gold paint - and an empty tray ceilling! I do have wallpaper border from Waverly to match the bedding - I could use that in the tray or on the walls someplace....
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2575.jpg

this is the Haycock deep brown/gold color I was thinking of doing the tray ceiling in, for the bedroom side
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2594.jpg

kathi29
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't have any decorating advice for you. I just wanted to say you are very talented! If you don't do interior design, you really should think about getting into it.

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I truly have no creativity, but thank you for the kind comment. This is just paint on the walls that HAPPENED to come out right (well ok, maybe not the Campells Tomato Soup room!) Notice I have nothing on the walls, and very little accessories. I am clueless when it comes to that stuff. Most of my furniture is heavy & dark, so I figure that makes a statement in itself. I like things simple. I pick things up on clearance or at the Thrift Store now & then & hope they fit in somewhere. Like I said before I grew up on a farm so many of the accessories around the house are antiques dug out of the barn or the attic! And any designer will tell you they don't "go" with my traditional European home. Whatever!

soccerchick
02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
okay, so I wonder how many paint people at Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore and Home Depot will scratch their heads this weekend when everyone goes in to request these same colors?:rotfl:

Soulsearching
02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I truly have no creativity, but thank you for the kind comment. This is just paint on the walls that HAPPENED to come out right (well ok, maybe not the Campells Tomato Soup room!) Notice I have nothing on the walls, and very little accessories. I am clueless when it comes to that stuff. Most of my furniture is heavy & dark, so I figure that makes a statement in itself. I like things simple. I pick things up on clearance or at the Thrift Store now & then & hope they fit in somewhere. Like I said before I grew up on a farm so many of the accessories around the house are antiques dug out of the barn or the attic! And any designer will tell you they don't "go" with my traditional European home. Whatever!

No Creativity!!! @#W#$%#$%#@ what are talking about woman!!!

Keep up that "NO CREATIVITY" and maybe someday I will see one of your rooms in a magazine! You make me laugh!

(love your rooms, keep posting)

tlbwriter
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Tara, I think a blue ceiling would be lovely, especially with the white molding separating the gold and the blue. I actually painted my tray ceiling a lighter shade of the wall color, but if you have enough light in your room, a darker shade than the walls would also be lovely and very dramatic.

m&m's mom
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Here are some pictures of my house.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/mcoral/IMG_0880.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/mcoral/IMG_0881.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/mcoral/IMG_0867.jpg

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
okay, so I wonder how many paint people at Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore and Home Depot will scratch their heads this weekend when everyone goes in to request these same colors?:rotfl:

I actually laughed out loud when I read that!!!!!!! Mad rush for Haycock! I have an extra gallon here if anyone needs it.

m&ms mom- nice pics! I need some tall floral arrangements like you have on your mantel! Did you make them, have them made, or happened to find them already made someplace?

Karenj2
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok, Tara - I'm going to jump in on this thread... And I should warn you, I live in Eastern PA too (southern Chester County), so I *could* stop by some time... :)

DH and I are planning on moving into a new home (as soon as we sell our current one). We're planning on upgrading to granite, and I really liked this combination (sent to us from the developers):
http://www.karen-n-chris.com/temppictures/kitchen_small.jpg
But I also liked your off-white cabinets... Unfortunately, we don't have an off-white choice.

I really liked the tile you had leading from your mudroom (I think it was the first picture you posted). Do you know what the tile brand/color is?

hogue123
02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok this is the neatest painting I've done - tone-on-tone stripes - very subtle yet formal looking...anyway....look up in the pics - both rooms have a tray ceiling. In the BR I've painted the sides of the tray the same gold as the walls, but not the ceilling of the tray. I originally had Sherwin Williams match the spa blue from my bedding to paint the ceiling of the tray, but then chickened out, I'm not a fan of blue. My other thought is to use the dark brown/gold from my foyer (Sherwin Williams Haycock) for the ceiling, and then go over it with a metallic bronze faux finish. I thought this would look deep & rich. Or like someone threw up on the ceiling....

stripes in progress
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/MasterBR.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2576.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2573.jpg

I didn't carry the stripes into the sitting room, I thought it was too much, so this is just flat Victorian Gold paint - and an empty tray ceilling! I do have wallpaper border from Waverly to match the bedding - I could use that in the tray or on the walls someplace....
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2575.jpg

this is the Haycock deep brown/gold color I was thinking of doing the tray ceiling in, for the bedroom side
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2594.jpg

Hello It's me again! I am so pitiful. Being home with the kids for 4 years now is really getting to me! The family (all 5 of us!) had appointments for teeth cleanings and then we went out to eat. I kept telling everyone to hurry up because I had to get home to read this thread!! My husband just laughed...

This is just my opinion and of course no matter what you end up doing, you can always repaint it if you don't like it.... I vote for the dark brown with a bronze metallic faux finish. I think it would be more neutral than the blue (I am not a blue fan.... sorry!). THat way if you ever change your bedding, you won't have to repaint the ceiling again. I hate doing ceilings. I don't think I would use the border. Let us know what you decide! And of course.... send pictures!

Oh. I almost forgot. Your bedroom is beautiful.

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok, Tara - I'm going to jump in on this thread... And I should warn you, I live in Eastern PA too (southern Chester County), so I *could* stop by some time... :)

DH and I are planning on moving into a new home (as soon as we sell our current one). We're planning on upgrading to granite, and I really liked this combination (sent to us from the developers):
http://www.karen-n-chris.com/temppictures/kitchen_small.jpg
But I also liked your off-white cabinets... Unfortunately, we don't have an off-white choice.

I really liked the tile you had leading from your mudroom (I think it was the first picture you posted). Do you know what the tile brand/color is?

Hi Karenj2!!! What granite is that in the pic - sure looks like mine! The tile in my mudroom is the exact same tile in my master bath which I think is posted somewhere on this thread too. It's a medium-dark brown, I really like it, hides EVERYTHING. Unfortunetely I have absolutely no idea what it is. I got it at a tile showroom/distributor in Allentown, Perugini Tile (www.peruginitile.com). It's not far off the NE Ext of the turnpike if you are out & about looking. I'm not far off the Quakertown exit of the NE Ext either....;)

TaraPA
02-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Ummm...ok....maybe this weekend I will start the tray ceiling project...anyone know how to use metallic paint??? Ceilings are very difficult to paint, this could end up being a major project!

Amy - I stayed home for 10 years with my kids - and now that they're in school all day I have time to work PT, paint & surf the DIS all day long! I LOVE IT!

hogue123
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Ummm...ok....maybe this weekend I will start the tray ceiling project...anyone know how to use metallic paint??? Ceilings are very difficult to paint, this could end up being a major project!

Amy - I stayed home for 10 years with my kids - and now that they're in school all day I have time to work PT, paint & surf the DIS all day long! I LOVE IT!

I have no idea how to use metallic paint. Maybe someone at Lowes or Home Depot could help? Or Sherwin Williams?

It has just been difficult having the 3 boys. They are so rowdy! I have one in 3rd grade all day, one in Kindergarten for half day and an almost 3 year old. Most days I feel like pulling my hair out. Next year the middle son will be in school all day so hopefully that will help! I really like being there for them before and after school and would hate to go back to work. It's just tough on me in the winter because these boys have so much energy and no place to burn it off and they are constantly fighting. Once it gets warmer out, I can send them out to play in the yard :thumbsup2

hogue123
02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Tara.... Found this for you. Is this what you were talking about for the ceiling?

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/interior_decorating_ideas/faux_painting_techniques/metallic/

This looks really cool (the sample they have with the golden brown color). I may try this for my dining room ceiling when I am ready to re-do that room.

Amy

thumpery
02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
OK, I totally agree that the granite wins over the Cambria or Zodiaq! I fell in love with a few pieces today. We did find a granite with a permashield finish. There is no maintenance (sealing), which husband really likes. It is sold at Home Depot and it's called Stonemark. Has anyone heard of it or have it in their home?

By the way, I am just loving all the pictures. Maybe one day when I get my home fixed up, I will be proud enough to post some pictures.

cougar242
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I so love this thread. We are in the process of building our home and I have just been so overwhelmed by the picking out process. I love to see the finished product and I want to thank those of you that have posted pictures!! I am also looking at granite counter tops but my father in law is trying to talk me out of them. He keeps insisting that they scratch. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the Kodiaq and granite. I was looking at Lowes just trying to get color ideas and saw a patter in the Dupont Zodiaq that I liked but I am not completely sure. I also saw granite that I like.

Kim

720L
02-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Tara--we have almost the same bedroom furniture (I have Grand Savannah by Bernhardt) and almost the same bedroom wall color!! I have gold walls (I don't know the name of the color it's from Lowes in the Biltmore paint collection) and we painted our tray ceiling a dark burgandy/brownish color (Biltmore paint collection also). It looks awesome! I get so many compliments on it. I'll try and get my DH to help me post a picture. Your house is what we wanted to build but couldn't afford--we have a shrunken version of yours (2400 sq ft). I love it though!! You must spend a lot of time cleaning trim because I do and my house is half the size of yours!!!

Karenj2
02-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey Tara - According to the builder, it's Giallo Veneziano, which I think is the same as yours.. I like the earthy colors too. (Now I'm off to re-read all of the posts so I can find out what that tile color is.)

720L
02-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I so love this thread. We are in the process of building our home and I have just been so overwhelmed by the picking out process. I love to see the finished product and I want to thank those of you that have posted pictures!! I am also looking at granite counter tops but my father in law is trying to talk me out of them. He keeps insisting that they scratch. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the Kodiaq and granite. I was looking at Lowes just trying to get color ideas and saw a patter in the Dupont Zodiaq that I liked but I am not completely sure. I also saw granite that I like.

Kim

I don't think granite scratches, but it does chip!!:sad2: I didn't know that-I thought it was "indestructable". I don't know when I chipped it -I noticed it later and it makes me sick to my stomach every time I see the chip! I would still get granite--just be careful around the sink edges (thats where mine is chipped). I think I did it when I was cleaning my oven racks. Oh well I still LOVE granite.

hogue123
02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
The granite does chip. When we were choosing ours the company that we got it from told us that the fancier edges (I think they are called Ogee or something like that) chip. They are very expensive to add to the granite and look great but I did not want to take a chance of it chipping. Granite is pretty tough. While we were shopping around finding the perfect slab for us, we went to a shop where they cut the countertops. The guy had slabs and I wanted a sample of one that he had so I could remember what it looked like and compare to other places. He didn't have a sample so he took a hammer, not just a regular hammer, maybe like a mini sledge hammer and pounded the corner of the granite about 3 times before the piece broke off. I was convinced at that point that it was pretty strong! ;) We did see some scratched pieces of granite at the showroom but that was because they had people putting and sliding granite samples across it. If you get granite samples DO NOT PUT THEM DIRECTLY ONTO ANY SURFACE. Put them on a towel.

I found this on the internet.... May be of some help.

http://www.keidel.com/design/select/tops-matl-compare.htm

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Good Morning! Geez I forgot what I was going to reply to, there were a lot of posts on here last night! YES granite chips - we have the Ogee edge -very expensive to add but absolutely worth in in the kitchen or high traffic areas, depending on your look. We did the regular edges in the bathrooms & they are fine, but with an Old World Traditional look in the kitchen (well, that's what it was supposed to be, not sure what it ended up as) they convinced me to go with Ogee. I had seen it in magazines & fell in love with it. I want to say it was $100 per foot extra - totally insane, but I wouldn't change it. If you have a country, rustic or modern look going on though, the Ogee will be too much. Anyway - we have swivel chairs at the island, the kids sit there almost 24/7 - and if they swivel too hard the metal sides of the stool slam into the Ogee edge & it chips away. Once there was a 1-inch chunk that came out, I was in tears. I tried to superglue it back but it's too grainy to stick. I agree on protecting your surfaces when you have granite samples around - if you slide them across something they will scratch it!

Whoever said their tray ceiling is darker than the walls better be off right now posting a picture of it!!! I MUST see it! I decided today's the day to start. I'm a slow project person, so I might just tape up & prep today. I think my metallic paint is a glaze, not an actual paint. It's from Sherwin Williams so I will check that link you posted Amy.

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 09:38 AM

Kim

My granite has never scratched & we are VERY rough with it. Anyone else have granite that scratches? I actually thought that was one of it's advantages, that it didn't scratch. I might be wrong. Mine certainly doesn't stain. When you set a very hot pot right onto it, or spill water on it, it does get darker, but just temporarily. Sorry but I don't know anything about the Zodiaq. Anyone with Zodiaq pics they can post????

720L
02-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I have the rounded edge on my granite so you can't see the chip unless you really look. I did find a granite repair kit: ( www.acrylicrepair.com) but haven't bought it yet. My builder also said the place you bought the granite from fixes it also--I called them and they said it would be 100 to just come to the house to see if they can fix it and probably 50+ for the repair. I called Home Depot and they don't carry a granite repair kit so who knows if it would work. I feel better just knowing it is fixable.

Tara-
I am computer illiterate so if I can get my DH to help me post a pic of my ceiling I will. I was really scared to paint it darker but it looks so cool! We also painted the shower ceiling and the master bath ceiling that color.

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Tara--we have almost the same bedroom furniture (I have Grand Savannah by Bernhardt) and almost the same bedroom wall color!! I have gold walls (I don't know the name of the color it's from Lowes in the Biltmore paint collection) and we painted our tray ceiling a dark burgandy/brownish color (Biltmore paint collection also). It looks awesome! I get so many compliments on it. I'll try and get my DH to help me post a picture. Your house is what we wanted to build but couldn't afford--we have a shrunken version of yours (2400 sq ft). I love it though!! You must spend a lot of time cleaning trim because I do and my house is half the size of yours!!!

I am SO waiting for you to post a picture of your darker tray ceiling! I want to start mine today, if I ever get motivated to get off the DIS. I'd love to see your furniture too! I like very dark, heavy furniture - someone told me once it looked gothic! My BR & DR set are both from the same Broyhill line, Vintage World I think it's called. It is very old world, but I'd like to think antique or royal - not gothic!

Yes white trim gets dusty very quickly. I honestly don't clean the trim much - about every 2-3 months, or when someone is coming over! I clean a little bit every day, as I go, instead of saying "ok today I'm cleaning" or I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Ok waiting for your pics....

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Here is my granite chip - it looks much worse in person -

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2598.jpg

Here is the ogee egde -

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2601.jpg

Here is a basic egde - just softened or rounded a bit - no extra charge for this one -
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2602.jpg

Here is another basic egde - bevel maybe? They just flatten out the top part - also no extra charge -
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2606.jpg

Anyone else have different edge pics to post?

720L
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I am SO waiting for you to post a picture of your darker tray ceiling! I want to start mine today, if I ever get motivated to get off the DIS. I'd love to see your furniture too! I like very dark, heavy furniture - someone told me once it looked gothic! My BR & DR set are both from the same Broyhill line, Vintage World I think it's called. It is very old world, but I'd like to think antique or royal - not gothic!

Yes white trim gets dusty very quickly. I honestly don't clean the trim much - about every 2-3 months, or when someone is coming over! I clean a little bit every day, as I go, instead of saying "ok today I'm cleaning" or I think I'd be overwhelmed.

Ok waiting for your pics....

I've been told our style is gothic also--you can see my bed at Bernhardt.com click on Grand Savannah, my bed is the one without the canopy. My DH actually picked it out--and my first reaction was "ummmm....no". Then it grew on me. Now I love it.

hogue123
02-02-2008, 10:52 AM
We just have one of the standard edges on our granite. It just has a slight roundness to it on the top and bottom. Our old laminate tops had sharp edges (no roundness to them at all). The kids and DH and I got scraped up from them all the time. I hated it. The kids poor foreheads were always bruised when they got to the right height to just hit them just right.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Granite%20Edge/Kitchen027.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Granite%20Edge/Kitchen029.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Granite%20Edge/Kitchen030.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Granite%20Edge/Kitchen024.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Granite%20Edge/Kitchen031.jpg

Amy

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey why is that kid still in his jammies at noon?!?! Oh...wait....I'M still in my jammies at noon.......

hogue123
02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry to keep uploading so many pictures but I just found the pictures I took back in November of our "old" kitchen. What a difference granite and stainless makes!

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/049.jpg

AFTER

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/051.jpg

AFTER

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/052.jpg

AFTER

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

famofsix
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Hogue123~I just wanted to say thank you for the before and after pics. It helpes me to visualize what I can do in my own kitchen. Unfortunately I need cabinets too and I might need to wait to change appliances.

hogue123
02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Hogue123~I just wanted to say thank you for the before and after pics. It helpes me to visualize what I can do in my own kitchen. Unfortunately I need cabinets too and I might need to wait to change appliances.

Your welcome for the pics! I love to see before and after pictures.

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 02:06 PM
karenj2 - you asked what color the tile was in the mudroom - here is a shot of the same tile in my master bath - and the coordinating tumbled marble in smaller sizes for the tub surround. I picked all 3 from samples & was really happy with the way it turned out. It's hard to pick from samples. I hate my kitchen backsplash, so I didn't choose very well on that one, so you just never know!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_2605.jpg

720L - do you know how to download your pics from your camera onto the computer? If so I can walk you through it from there. I'm dying to see this tray celing picture!

DisneyMomOK
02-02-2008, 02:23 PM

hogue123
02-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Hogue123, your Before and After pix are great. Anyone who doesn't think appliances and countertops can create an entirely different kitchen should see your pix!

Tara, I love the finish on your bath fixtures. Question for everyone: What did you determine first: general color scheme or did something (fixture, granite, tile, ?) start you in a certain direction? I know that some designers mention a piece of furniture or fabric that started the process, just wondered on how you started?

Sharon

Ours started with the idea of wanting to warm up our house. As you can see in my before pictures, it wasn't very interesting. The wall color was taken throughout the kitchen, 2 story great room, 2 story foyer and the upstairs hall. Now that I've been home for 4 years and looking at it all the time, it was getting pretty depressing. It doesn't look warm or inviting. Just kinda sterile and cold. The biggest mistake I made was the countertops. When we built the house, I picked out the countertops and paint color. I thought it was great that I found a paint color that went so well with the countertops. Once it was all done, I found that when going to the store to find window treatments or even things to hang on the walls, nothing matched it. It is a nice color, but just so odd that nothing matched. I got tired of it and we decided to go with more neutral color palette to warm things up. We shopped for about a month for granite. We had no choice but to keep the white cabinets, so I wanted something to go with them. As soon as my husband saw the absolute black, he fell in love with it. I saw a lot of pieces that had more movement and color. He liked the uniform look and sleekness of the black. So we compromised and I found a piece of New Venetian Gold that had a lot of black running throughout it. THat is how the idea of two granites in the kitchen came about. DH wanted the whole kitchen black, but I did not want a black and white kitchen and thought I would get tired of it. Besides, we have 3 boys (8, 5 and 2) and the fingerprints on the black are not real attractive. Looks great when it's clean! I didn't want to deal with the mess on the island since we use it so much. I wanted something that would hide all that, which is why I wanted the lighter color with a pattern to it. I wanted something a little more interesting. I went with the black theme and got black stools for the bar top on the island, and painted our white table and chairs black. I added more black accents all over to tie it in together.

720L
02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Tara--I took the pictures, now I'm hoping he will help me. No I don't know how to download to the computer. I need to learn! Our master bath has similar tile also--we went with silver faucets though.

Disneymomok--we started with a color scheme (earthtones).

edited to add: I have the pics on my computer--i sent you a pm tara

momx2
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh my gosh....you guys are so inspiring me to redo my kitchen. I have wanted to since we moved in 5 1/2 years ago. The pictures here are alot my kitchen. French country style, golden/yellow walls with matching red and golden valances, and hard wood floors. I also have white cabinets, but awful, cheap blue counter tops and white appliances and also gold knobs that need to go.

I have been wanting stainless appliances and granite countertops. I can't believe the difference it made in the pictures here. I just can't decide if I want black counters or more tannish/gold like some I've seen here?

720L
02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/carsonmorgan/house/img_0268.jpg

I did it!! Thanks for the help Tara!

TaraPA
02-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Woo hoo you did it!! Wow that is a high ceiling in your BR. I love the darker color!! I said I wanted to get started today but never got motivated. Maybe tomorrow...

TaraPA
02-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok ladies (and gents) today is a new day. Here is today's problem though - Part of the tray ceiling is above the bed. I'm too short to stand on the bed to reach the ceiling to paint. I could use an extension rod for the paint color, but I need to be up close for the taping, trim & metallic glaze/finish. DH will not help, nor would I want him too! Moving the bed is not an option - last time I painted it took 4 adults to move it 15 inches away from the wall, and it was a struggle. It's a massive bed. Plus no matter where in the room I move it, it will always be under part of the tray ceiling. Any suggestions? I can't just put a bench on the bed, it's too unstable. :confused3

hogue123
02-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok ladies (and gents) today is a new day. Here is today's problem though - Part of the tray ceiling is above the bed. I'm too short to stand on the bed to reach the ceiling to paint. I could use an extension rod for the paint color, but I need to be up close for the taping, trim & metallic glaze/finish. DH will not help, nor would I want him too! Moving the bed is not an option - last time I painted it took 4 adults to move it 15 inches away from the wall, and it was a struggle. It's a massive bed. Plus no matter where in the room I move it, it will always be under part of the tray ceiling. Any suggestions? I can't just put a bench on the bed, it's too unstable. :confused3

Good morning Tara... I just showed the pics of your bedroom to my DH and ask about your dilema. He said to put drop cloths down over everything and put a ladder on each side of your bed and run a 2x10 board between them and stand on that.... Sounds kinda dangerous but it may work!

TaraPA
02-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a good plan but I only have 1 ladder. DH is off with my truck today or I could run down to True Value & get another one, we have been meaning to get second ladder for awhile now. I haven't even checked if I have painters tape in the garage, that will stall out the project as well.

Anyone tall that wants to take a road trip to help me??????? :rotfl:

hogue123
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a good plan but I only have 1 ladder. DH is off with my truck today or I could run down to True Value & get another one, we have been meaning to get second ladder for awhile now. I haven't even checked if I have painters tape in the garage, that will stall out the project as well.

Anyone tall that wants to take a road trip to help me??????? :rotfl:

If I lived closer, I would love to help! I'd do anything to get out of this house for a while. Living with 3 boys and DH is driving me crazy.... Well, let's make that 4 boys :)

TaraPA
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh I hear ya! I don't know how you manage with 3 little boys in the house (and 1 big one). Mine were off school Friday so today is day 3 couped up with them, they fight all day long. It's 45 degrees today (warmer than it has been lately) so I'm trying to shove them outside. I brought the ladder, paint & supplies upstairs so far, but I only have a little tape. Can you tell I'm stalling?? According to the metallic glaze, you rag it on your base color. Now I'm having second thoughts. Every faux finish I've ever tried looked cheap & tacky. Oh well - I'll just get the Haycock on at least so there's something up there.

720L
02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Tara-we do have a high ceiling in the bedroom...now that you're trying to paint yours I'm wondering how in the world we will paint ours when it needs to be re-painted! Be sure to post pics when you are done. Do you have a 2 story family room? I really wanted that but the plan we picked didn't have it and we didn't want to pay to have it re-drawn.

DebMcDonald
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry to keep uploading so many pictures but I just found the pictures I took back in November of our "old" kitchen. What a difference granite and stainless makes!

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/049.jpg

AFTER

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/051.jpg

AFTER

BEFORE
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/Kitchen%20Photos/Old%20Kitchen/052.jpg

AFTER

what a huge difference from the before and after. It changed the entire look of the kitchen. It's very beautiful.

hogue123
02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
what a huge difference from the before and after. It changed the entire look of the kitchen. It's very beautiful.

Thank you!

hogue123
02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh I hear ya! I don't know how you manage with 3 little boys in the house (and 1 big one). Mine were off school Friday so today is day 3 couped up with them, they fight all day long. It's 45 degrees today (warmer than it has been lately) so I'm trying to shove them outside. I brought the ladder, paint & supplies upstairs so far, but I only have a little tape. Can you tell I'm stalling?? According to the metallic glaze, you rag it on your base color. Now I'm having second thoughts. Every faux finish I've ever tried looked cheap & tacky. Oh well - I'll just get the Haycock on at least so there's something up there.

It's not easy. I am glad it's not just my boys that fight all the time. My kids were off on Friday as well.

As far as the faux finish, why don't you find an old board or piece of drywall and test the technique out first before you paint it. If you end up not liking it, don't do it on the ceiling and just paint it a solid color.

tiggerfan4me
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM

wow Tara, beautiful kitchen. I love to cook but since I have stepdaughters now they are finicky and so I don't cook like I used to when my sons were home. I have a nice kitchen but you can really spread out in yours. Awesome. You sure are crafty and take on the house projects. I do small house projects, nothing of the magnitude you undertake. Way to go.:thumbsup2

Karenj2
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey Tara - I forgot to ask, where did you get your curtains?

TaraPA
02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Tara - I forgot to ask, where did you get your curtains?

I had them made. A very talented friend was starting her own window treatment/fabric covering & did them at cost if she could use me as a reference & to take pics for her portfolio. She did a great job, she did the kitchen, breakfast roon, DR & the red toile powder room. My BR drapes & valances are Croscill to match my bedding.

Ok I've been MIA for awhile. Started a thread on the CB that has been taking over my DIS-Boarding the last 2 days! :surfweb: ANYWAY - the half of the tray ceiling I taped up - well the tape is now all falling off. DH can reach the other half but keeps putting it off. So the paint project is on hold for now....:headache:

Question - is my ceiling a tray ceiling or a coffered ceiling? I've been calling it tray & my mom says it's not, it's coffered. ???

tycopj
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

The new counter tops are beautiful!!! I would love to get granite someday!!!!!

A little off topic here, but, your house floor plan looks like my BIL's. But the funny thing is that he said he designed his house :confused3 :rotfl2: Do you have a butler pantry between the kitchen and dining room, and how about an office between the family room and living room? BIL's kitchen, family room, and eating area are just like yours! I know he didn't design your house, now I'm doubting he designed his. :rolleyes1

720L
02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I had them made. A very talented friend was starting her own window treatment/fabric covering & did them at cost if she could use me as a reference & to take pics for her portfolio. She did a great job, she did the kitchen, breakfast roon, DR & the red toile powder room. My BR drapes & valances are Croscill to match my bedding.

Ok I've been MIA for awhile. Started a thread on the CB that has been taking over my DIS-Boarding the last 2 days! :surfweb: ANYWAY - the half of the tray ceiling I taped up - well the tape is now all falling off. DH can reach the other half but keeps putting it off. So the paint project is on hold for now....:headache:

Question - is my ceiling a tray ceiling or a coffered ceiling? I've been calling it tray & my mom says it's not, it's coffered. ???

I think it's a tray ceiling. A coffered ceiling has "trim" in the middle of the ceiling (a bunch of squares on the ceiling). Our keeping room has a coffered ceiling. Google coffered ceiling-it will show pics.

hogue123
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
The new counter tops are beautiful!!! I would love to get granite someday!!!!!

A little off topic here, but, your house floor plan looks like my BIL's. But the funny thing is that he said he designed his house :confused3 :rotfl2: Do you have a butler pantry between the kitchen and dining room, and how about an office between the family room and living room? BIL's kitchen, family room, and eating area are just like yours! I know he didn't design your house, now I'm doubting he designed his. :rolleyes1

When you walk in our front door, to the left is the office. To the right is the dining room (which you can see a little bit of in the kitchen pictures). A little to the right is the stairs that go up (runs along the outside of the dining room). There are a few steps, a landing and then the stairs turn up to the right and go the rest of the way up. When you walk out of the entryway down the hall towards the back of the house, the great room is on the left and kitchen on the right. The hallway you can see from the kitchen has the 1/2 bath on the left and the door to the garage on the right. Straight ahead down that hallway is the laundry room. Our pantry is in the kitchen, the door on the same wall as the door that goes out to the deck (there are two frames hanging between those two doors, one says FAMILY and the other MEMORIES (of course it shows off some family pictures from Disney vacations!). In the doorway towards the dining room, on the left is a closet, the right is the door to the basement. Upstairs on the right is a bedroom, straight ahead is the master/master bath. Take a left around the stairs and there is a bedroom on the right and then another bathroom and linen closet in the hallway. Then you get to the bridge that goes over to the 4th bedroom and the bridge looks down over into the great room and foyer, which are both 2 story. Does it sound like the same house? Here's a pic of the outside... Ignore those people in the front yard playing ball :rolleyes1
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/hogue123/House.jpg

thillsm
06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Quick question for Hogue123

I just installed New Venetian Gold counter tops in all my baths. I have white cabinets. After the job was done I regret my choice because I wasn't sure if the NVG went well with white cabinets and thought it might be too busy for a small space. Obvioulsy too late to change them out, but I figured I can change the wall color to possibly absorb the counters a bit. I really LOVE your wall color in your kitchen. Do you happen to know the name/brand of paint color? This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

Crisgw
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
We just did a new kitchen as part of our home addition and the granite and tile backsplash were the HARDEST to choose! I ended up with a color called "Solarius" and it's a Brazilian granite. I love it! Pardon the mess in the photos, these are before we moved back into the house so there is no back splash and no cabinet hardware and lots of mess ( I even think the last two have the unfinished floors)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0531.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0529.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0441.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0439.jpg

thillsm
06-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi there - not sure if my other post went through.

Hogue123 - I LOVE the color of your walls. What color/brand is the paint?

thillsm
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi there - not sure if my other post went through.

Hogue123 - I LOVE the color of your walls. What color/brand is the paint?

hogue123
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Quick question for Hogue123

I just installed New Venetian Gold counter tops in all my baths. I have white cabinets. After the job was done I regret my choice because I wasn't sure if the NVG went well with white cabinets and thought it might be too busy for a small space. Obvioulsy too late to change them out, but I figured I can change the wall color to possibly absorb the counters a bit. I really LOVE your wall color in your kitchen. Do you happen to know the name/brand of paint color? This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment on the wall color. It's called PRINCE by RALPH LAUREN.. I believe it's in their Urban Loft collection. The color on their website looks totally different than what is on the color swatch I got from Home Depot. I had it color matched at Sherwin Williams. Good luck with your painting! I think the NVG looks great with white cabinets. If it's a new countertop and you think it looks too busy, just give yourself time to adjust and get use to it, especially if it's really different than the one that was there before. Post some pictures... I'd love to see it!

hogue123
06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
We just did a new kitchen as part of our home addition and the granite and tile backsplash were the HARDEST to choose! I ended up with a color called "Solarius" and it's a Brazilian granite. I love it! Pardon the mess in the photos, these are before we moved back into the house so there is no back splash and no cabinet hardware and lots of mess ( I even think the last two have the unfinished floors)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0531.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0529.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0441.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/crisgw/PICT0439.jpg

Your kitchen is beautiful! Great choice on the granite. Looks wonderful with the cabinetry.

Crisgw
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
You don't realize how much STRESS it can cause you to pick out granite! Between the granite and the back splash, I swore my DH was ready to divorce me! I actually cried over it :lmao:

hogue123
06-19-2008, 08:26 PM
You don't realize how much STRESS it can cause you to pick out granite! Between the granite and the back splash, I swore my DH was ready to divorce me! I actually cried over it :lmao:

I know what you mean. It is very stressful. There's so much to choose from. I constantly second guess myself and just couldn't make up my mind. We ended up with two different colors of granite. My husband likes the more solid color of the black and I like the more unique pieces with movement and not so uniform in color. We compromised and it worked out fine. It's such a hard choice because I know whatever I got, I better like it because this will most likely be the last countertop we have in our kitchen. My husband wasn't crazy about the cost of it all in the first place and i know that he would never replace it just because I got tired of the color or look of it :)

Crisgw
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Ooohhh, I saw your pics, you had the Absolute black and the lighter on the island area. Your kitchen before and after looks TOTALLY different! I love the after! It looks so crisp and sharp.

thillsm
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the compliment on the wall color. It's called PRINCE by RALPH LAUREN.. I believe it's in their Urban Loft collection. The color on their website looks totally different than what is on the color swatch I got from Home Depot. I had it color matched at Sherwin Williams. Good luck with your painting! I think the NVG looks great with white cabinets. If it's a new countertop and you think it looks too busy, just give yourself time to adjust and get use to it, especially if it's really different than the one that was there before. Post some pictures... I'd love to see it!
Thanks for the quick reply. I will head to Home Depot tomorrow!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks again!

hogue123
06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Ooohhh, I saw your pics, you had the Absolute black and the lighter on the island area. Your kitchen before and after looks TOTALLY different! I love the after! It looks so crisp and sharp.

It did make a HUGE difference. Thanks for the compliment!

hogue123
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will head to Home Depot tomorrow!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks again!

Did you find the paint chip at Home Depot?

thillsm
06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I did - thanks again for sharing this. I picked up the Ralph Lauren swatch but have not yet brougth it to Duron. I usually use Duron paint - not sure if they have this chain by you. I would assume Ralph Lauren paint is perfectly fine to use for a bathroom, don't you? I may just use this paint since the swatch looks so good in the bathroom. It is pefect! I will make sure I take before and after pics and post them after I finish painting.

hogue123
06-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I did - thanks again for sharing this. I picked up the Ralph Lauren swatch but have not yet brougth it to Duron. I usually use Duron paint - not sure if they have this chain by you. I would assume Ralph Lauren paint is perfectly fine to use for a bathroom, don't you? I may just use this paint since the swatch looks so good in the bathroom. It is pefect! I will make sure I take before and after pics and post them after I finish painting.

I am glad it's a good match to your granite! Can't wait tosee the pics :)

vknight
02-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Tara: I was googling for Venetian Gold and found the pics of your kitchen - which is beautiful. We just got Venetian Gold countertops and are in the process of painting our pickled cabinets a cream with brown glaze. I love the color on your kitchen wall. Can you tell me who makes it and the name of it?

Thanks, Vicki in Memphis

TaraPA
02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
The paint for my kitchen was a custom mix - are you familiar with Longaberger pottery? I have the color paprika from Longaberger, so I took a piece into Sherwin Williams & they matched it perfectly. It's a deep red with a plum undertone. When they said plum I went NO WAY, but they were right on. Red is very, very difficult to paint - be forewarned! Maybe you can get your hands on Longaberger catalog (or borrow a piece of paprika from a friend) & take it to a paint store to match.

OMG this is so funny. I went back through the thread - which was in high swing exactly one year ago. My dilemma at the time was painting my BR tray ceiling. Did it ever get done? Um.....nooooo......I focused on landscaping all spring & summer, nothing inside.

Soulsearching.....Hogue123.....720L....wake up wake up! Show us your decorating projects that you've done in the last year!

MELISAZACK
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
We are in the process of redoing our ENTIRE kitchen right now - going on 3 wks no kitchen--- but 2 wks ago I went to the marble yard and picked my granite from over 300 selections it was soooo fun but over whelming
we choose "raw silk" which is cream/beige and gold with some quartz running through it.. we have maple spice cabinets and a darker tuscan floating floor
so I thought the light counter would work...
don't go to home depot the price is out rageous and you can get it cheaper by the foot.. we paid $45/sq foot for ours the same at home depot was $58 go figure... find a yard to buy from it nicer since you pick the SLAB you WANT not them picking for you.. and each slab is slightly different in movement -- I went through 4 before I found 2 I liked.
good luck with your kitchen

vknight
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I am familiar with Longaberger baskets - I have several of them. Thanks for the information.

vknight
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi, Hogue123:

I'm new here, but I love your kitchen too. What color are the walls in your kitchen?

TaraPA
02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I think we lost Hogue123...but I saw 720L on another thread yesterday so maybe he/she can pop back with some paint info!

shelly3girls
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Tara,
Now that you have lived in your house a year longer, how do you like the hardwood floors in the kitchen? Our whole house is hardwood except part of the kitchen (breakfast area is hardwood) and the family room. We plan to start our remodel next year and we still argue about the floor. DH wants to rip up the HW in the breakfast area and make the whole thing travertine or tile. I still want the HW but everyone keeps telling me it is a nightmare in the kitchen. We live in a traditional home and have managed to keep everything very traditional looking. I am afraid the tile will really stand out.

720L
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm here! I haven't done anything new to the house since this thread except for buying accessories and window treatments.

shelly3girls: I have hardwood in my kitchen (brazilian walnut) --we've been here 3 years now and I still love it.

TaraPA
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
shelly3girls..yes I still absolutely love the hardwood in the kitchen & throughout the 1st floor HOWEVER....it does show wear & tear where the kids slide their barstools to & from the island on a daily basis. We knew this would happen, I was just hoping it would take more than 3 years to show! We should have put felt on the bottom of the barstool legs, or just put an area rug by the island.

As far as keeping it clean & free of water - we've had absolutely no problems with that. I even have a plant on a plant stand that leaks a few times a week onto the hardwood, and the dishwasher did leak once, and it cleaned up perfectly.

buzz5985
02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Tara,
Now that you have lived in your house a year longer, how do you like the hardwood floors in the kitchen? Our whole house is hardwood except part of the kitchen (breakfast area is hardwood) and the family room. We plan to start our remodel next year and we still argue about the floor. DH wants to rip up the HW in the breakfast area and make the whole thing travertine or tile. I still want the HW but everyone keeps telling me it is a nightmare in the kitchen. We live in a traditional home and have managed to keep everything very traditional looking. I am afraid the tile will really stand out.

My home is over 120 years old. We also have hardwood throughout - accept the kitchen. We went with a dark green tile, with black grout - looks similar to slate. I love the dark floor. So easy to clean, I use a spray bottle filled with half ammonia/half water and a shark steam mop to clean. I sealed the grout when DH first laid the tile 3 years ago, just needed to reseal it again, so we went a long time without needing to reseal it.

Janis

ColoradoMom!!
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
How funny! I didn't even notice the beginning was so old - read the whole thing anyway!~

LOVE your kitchen Tara. Love to see Longaberger - but we've had that conversation :rotfl: I can't believe you took a piece of Paprika pottery to the paint store. That's brilliant!

We are closing in on starting our kitchen. We have a small space, with a small budget to match. Of course it is the granite that is my biggest choice too. Also, I love your cabinets Tara, but I have the hardest time finding the right color between too bright white, but not too yellow when I am out looking.

Home Depot seems the least expensive way to go vs. a contractor, but I really don't want them to do the granite. I hope that won't be a big deal.

TaraPA
02-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Also, I love your cabinets Tara, but I have the hardest time finding the right color between too bright white, but not too yellow when I am out looking.

Oh you're not kidding me! The day they installed the cabinets I called my mom freaking out that they were yellow! They were custom so I had to keep them. After we got everything else in & paint & decor, they now look more off-white. They have a brown glaze on them, just enough to make them look distressed (or dirty as my mom says) in the nooks & crannies.

ColoradoMom!!
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow - can't believe it has been almost 2 years since this thread started and a year since I have looked for it to once again admire Tara's beautiful kitchen!

See Tara - I asked you the exact same question - how funny! :rotfl:
Thanks for your quick reply. I think we are finally going to really start our kitchen this time!

TaraPA
01-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Be sure & post pictures of your remodel Colorado Mom!!!