PDA

View Full Version : Flooring Installer/Contractor Questions

ICan'tWait
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
We're getting new wood flooring installed by a self employed contractor. I noticed in another thread that many people tipped their carpet installers. Since this guy is a self employed contractor, do you still tip??? Also, this is a 3 to 4 day job. Do I need to be home the whole time he's here?? That would be pretty difficult.....

msmayor
01-23-2008, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't think you'd tip the owner.

As for being home...I know for myself I'd never leave a contractor alone in my house unless it was a close and trusted friend. I'd want to be there to supervise and make sure that if something else got damaged during the installation, the contractor could be held accountable. If there are questions, I'd want to be there to answer them right away to make sure the job keeps moving along. I wouldn't want to come home to an unlocked house because the contractor accidentally forgot to lock the door.

Golf4food
01-23-2008, 09:36 AM
I never tip for that sort of thing - they get paid to do their job already. Nobody tips me for my job, I get paid a salary. I tip waitresses because they are providing a service and don't get paid well to begin with, but service installers already make pretty good money for what they do - why should I give them more? Samre reason I don't tip the mailman, etc.

Mickeyluver37
01-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I consider myself a pretty good tipper, and I've never heard of tipping floor guys. In fact, I've got some here right now. They promised to be here at 8 am and got here at 1:45, so it's not likely that I'd tip them anyway. As it is, I'm just hoping they hurry up and get done before I have to leave for my Dr's appointment!

We had to have a "responsible adult" here at all times- we weren't given the option of having them let themselves in.