PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Prices Going Up, Up, Up!!!

OceanAnnie
01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been doing a double and triple take lately on grocery prices. I know it was a week ago I bought Red Barron pizza on sale for 4 for $10. Last week! I saw them today for $4 a piece. Granted, it was on sale but they haven't ever been $4. That's a big jump! Everything is going up.

I'm a pretty good sale shopper, but I'll be doubling my efforts!

disneyfav4ever
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I can usually get Red Baron pizza for half off, or at least for $2.50. I do have a rain check for them for $2 each.

Almost everything I buy I buy on sale, and usually with a coupon too. It keeps my grocery bills very reasonable.

stahshee
01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
:scared: I am a BIG budget shopper. I must admit myfood bill has gone up about 150 more a month. I watch sale adds I try to eat 2 meals a week with out meat ( insted I do eggs or beans). I just can not keep it down lower. I do coupons (for only certin fav items) . The price of toilet paper has gone up to along with shampoo. Or I see alot of 99cents shampoo with LESS shampoo in the bottle. I am getting really @#!!@. Everything has gone up except for my pay:mad:

delmar411
01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I haven't noticed the prices going up really. But I guess as I run out of things I'll start to feel the hit. Shampoo and other HBA items can go as high as they like, I'm stocked for like the next decade! :rotfl2:

But for things I regularly buy, at least here, nothing much has gone up to where I'm noticing a hit to our grocery budget.

OceanAnnie
01-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I didn't buy the pizza. I still have some in the freezer. I use coupons and shop the sales too. I won't be getting it for that price. I'll make it from scratch before I do that. I just get it for the convenience. The price of the pizza just caught my eye when I was walking through the aisle.

Crazy prices!

IluvDISNEYLAND!
01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I was just complaining about this very issue yesterday! I wen to Costco and I swear the prices are increasing!! You used to get 2 gallons of milk for $4.29 but now it is $6.29. I buy this all natural spinach pasta and it used to be 7.99 but now it is 9.69!!!!

I try to feed my family really healhy foods but I have to tell you it is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Darcy03231
01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I've found the same thing here (I live in the NE, just north of Boston). I see the posts where people shop for a family of four and only spend $50/wk. I don't see how they do it. Of course where I live there are no stores that do double or triple coupons and in our papers the only coupons are for brand name things that are still more expensive than the store brand, even with the coupon. Heck, I spend $50/wk just between fresh fruit, vegetables and the deli. It seems every week things are .10 - .20 more expensive than they were the week before.

neatokimmo
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I was just thinking the opposite yesterday, that prices were finally starting to come down. I got big boxes of cheerios for $2, pork roast for 99 cents, breakfast sausage for 99 cents, chicken breast bone in for 99 cents, huge grapefruit for 40 cents each, eggs, $1 a dozen (this is a big deal, eggs have been $2 here for a year now). Even things like Hamburger Helper were $1, those have been $1.50 for a long time. Sometimes their cheesy hamburger one hits the spot!

Produce is a little high still, but it's reasonable. Huge heads of broccoli are $2, green beans are 1.19 a pound.

Disneyoverload42
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I was just complaining about this very issue yesterday! I wen to Costco and I swear the prices are increasing!! You used to get 2 gallons of milk for $4.29 but now it is $6.29. I buy this all natural spinach pasta and it used to be 7.99 but now it is 9.69!!!!

I try to feed my family really healhy foods but I have to tell you it is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: Good grief and I was quibbling with DH about the 2.99 milk as opposed to the usual 2.50 I get it on sale for... Glad to live in the boonies we are always the last to get anything but we are the last to get hit with that kind of stuff...
Guess I'll go stock the freezer with milk while the price is low...:scared:

CajunDixie
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Eggs here are pretty high too but I think our counties new ethanol plant has something to do with the higher prices. We have a large egg producer in our county so I'm guessing they are competing for the corn with the ethanol plant. Milk right now is on sale at Kroger I think for $1 for a 1/2 gallon if you buy 4 & includes chocolate.

CVS' deals have helped our budget quite a bit since they started the ECB program. Now I totally understand why my parents had shelves full of shampoo, soap, TP, toothepaste....:rolleyes1 I'm just as bad now.

I just wish gas would go back down to $2 something instead of over $3 a gallon.

karynnix
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
My mom and I talk about this everyday, it seems! She lives in South Carolina and I am in Iowa. My grocery bill has DOUBLED in the last year. Everything has gone up in Iowa. I used to be able to feed all 4 of us for about $75-100 a week. I am allowing at least $150 a week now. And we aren't eating anything differently! We eat the same food in the same amounts, but everything costs more.

rparmfamily
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I can't believe how expensive milk and eggs have gotten but my prices are out of wack anyway.

Bear in mind I only shop at the commissary (which is at cost), Costco or occasionally Walmart.

1/2 gallon of milk is $3.69.
A gallon of milk is between $5-6.
A loaf of bread (not store brand but not fancy) runs about $3 (like the honey wheat kind).
Eggs are over $2 for regular large ones.
Chicken breast is about $8 a lb.
Gr beef is $2 a lb
salmon (fresh) is $7 a lb
2 litres of soda are $1.79
iceburg lettuce is $2 a head
bagged salad is $2-4 a bag

I swear prices go up everytime I go too!!!

Darcy03231
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I just pulled out my grocery receipt from last week.

Ground beef (80%) $1.99/lb
Boneless pork chops $2.99/lb
Boneless skinless chicken breast $2.89/lb
Salmon $6.99/lb
2% milk $2.89/gallon
Broccoli $1.29/lb
Green Beans $.99/lb
Red leaf lettuce $.99/lb
Romaine lettuce $.99/lb
Grape tomatoes $1.49/lb
Honey Dew melon $2.29
Canteloupe melon $1.99
Pears $.99/lb
Apples $.99/lb
Bananas $.49/lb
Strawberries $3.99/lb
Blueberries $2.00/4 oz.
Wheat bread $2.89 loaf (large loaf)

We try to eat healthy and I buy lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, but its really starting to get expensive. The least expensive fish was the salmon at $6.99/lb and its been that way since before Christmas. DH is 6'4" and works construction and DS is almost 6' and is very active in sports. They're both big eaters. I don't throw food away (except for occasionnally that plastic container that gets tucked in the back of the fridge behind something - you know the one I mean) so we eat everything I buy and no one in my family is overweight (although I could afford to lose a bit - but I've stayed the same weight for the last 10 years). Last week my grocery bill was $193 and this week it was $178. It used to be $120-140.

dturner
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been complaining too. I've noticed the prices going up right after the 1st of the year.

Remember when you could buy eggs for .97/carton - they are $2.19 at Walmart; milk was $5.15/gallon and bread is over $2.00/loaf unless you buy the store brand then it's a little lower but not much.

momx2
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Yesterday I noticed that a can of tuna had gone from .52 cents to .66 cents. I can't believe I thought twice about buying a can of tuna. Oh, that was store brand too!

gottagodisney
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
All I can say is .....grocerygame!!! I started the game begining of this month and saved $200.00 off of my food bill. I have not even been full out stockpiling either. So far, the game has been a life saver. It is even kind of fun to shop now. I had never been a couponer before because of the hassle-this is so easy. I know I sound like a commercial but, I can't tell you how helpful its been to our family. Hopefully you guys can utilize this too for some savings.:)

Darcy03231
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I tried the grocery game (I got the 4 weeks for $1) and I found, for me, it really didn't help. I think it depends on the area of the country you live in and whether or not you can get double and triple coupons.

OceanAnnie
01-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I tried the grocery game (I got the 4 weeks for $1) and I found, for me, it really didn't help. I think it depends on the area of the country you live in and whether or not you can get double and triple coupons.

I had the exact same experience. It wasn't for me.

gottagodisney
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I live in Texas and I can only pick from 1 grocery store and I also use a CVS. I don't have double or triple coupon stores- actually have never seen anyplace that does. I have just bought 2 Sunday papers with coupons since 12/30 and have saved this much. I am have been very selective with my list though- pretty much only buying blue items and planning meals around those items. I still have bought maybe $90.00 a week in things (like produce,etc.) as needs beyond what was on the gg list. That # of things though has been decreasing as the weeks go on. CVS and their extracare card/ EXtra care bucks have contributed significantly to the savings though!

mrsklamc
01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I doubt the grocery game tells you anything you can't learn for free at hotcouponworld.com or afullcup.com

gottagodisney
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't know about those other sites, but the gg seems to take all of the leg work out of couponing. It has a database that cross refrences all of the sales going on at the stores with when to utilize your coupons for major savings. I don't know, for $13 for 12 weeks , and saving of $200.00 in 4 weeks time it seems pretty good to me. I don't want to spend hrs. and hrs.clipping coupons and trying to find the best deals at a # of stores.

Sorry, it didn't work for you guys...hopefully others can give it a try and maybe it could work for them.

delmar411
01-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't know about those other sites, but the gg seems to take all of the leg work out of couponing. It has a database that cross refrences all of the sales going on at the stores with when to utilize your coupons for major savings. I don't know, for $13 for 12 weeks , and saving of $200.00 in 4 weeks time it seems pretty good to me. I don't want to spend hrs. and hrs.clipping coupons and trying to find the best deals at a # of stores.

Sorry, it didn't work for you guys...hopefully others can give it a try and maybe it could work for them.

I'd check out www.hotcouponworld.com they do the same cross referencing and indicate when an item is free as well. They have a searchable coupon database so you know whether or not to even search out a specific coupon to buy or trade.

extremesoccermom
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree in St. Louis, MO. I was just telling my DH the other day that all the great deals we used to get at Sam's Club are no more. 3 dozen eggs are up to 6.36 milk is 3.98 Don't even get my started on meat, fruit and veggies.
We have started buying a few things at Aldi's but you really have to check dates and some of the things we just dont like.
Our budget used to be $300.00 a month for myself, DH, DS18, DD14, DN15 and DN6. But this month I am going to budget $400.00 and hope that I can make it.
I have 3 freezers and they are usually FULL but right now only 1 still has meat in it. I have $63.00 left in my grocery envelope and one gift card with $30.00 with 13 days until the next payday.

runwad
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I can't recite any numbers to you but I just feel like there really hasn't been any really great sales on meats to stockpile. Last January I didn't shop the whole month and we just ate out of the freezer. This year my freezer is bare. Maybe I'm just not up on the sale prices anymore (they're higher and I'm still waiting for my 0.99/# things lol) No I know they're not on sale for .99/# anymore...but still I just don't think there are any good deals on meats so I'm not stockpiling which = my bare freezer :-(

JoyG
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I was just in Aldi's yesterday trying to write down some prices for things I buy all the time. I'm trying to keep a price book so I can do my shopping cheaply and take advantage of good deals.

Here's some of what I'm paying here:

Spagetti sauce-.99
fruit cups- 1.39
jelly-.99
syrup-.99
cereal- 1.39 (unsweetened) 1.69 (sweetened)
2% milk gallon- 2.77
apples- 2.25 for 3lb bag
butter- 2.19
tuna-.59
mac and cheese- .33

sl_underwood
01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Saturday I paid $4.29 for milk and $2.29 for eggs. These were quite a bit cheaper just a few months ago. Produce is awfully high here as well. Most of the grocery stores rarely place any healthy items on sale, its always chips ahoy, pop, and doritos, that sort of stuff. So our grocery budget has increased by about $50 a week.

Darcy03231
01-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Saturday I paid $4.29 for milk and $2.29 for eggs. These were quite a bit cheaper just a few months ago. Produce is awfully high here as well. Most of the grocery stores rarely place any healthy items on sale, its always chips ahoy, pop, and doritos, that sort of stuff. So our grocery budget has increased by about $50 a week.

This is what I'm finding too. I don't buy much "snack" type foods or soda. I'd rather my kids eat fruit or vegetables (I always keep cut up carrots and celery in the fridge w/ranch dip). Almost all the sales and coupons are for unhealthy snack foods. Fat free cottage cheese and string cheese have gone up almost 50% since last summer. Eggs have almost doubled. Fresh fruit and produce are really high here too. While I don't like spending what I do at the grocery store at least we can still afford it. We've just really cut way back on discretionary spending elsewhere. I feel bad for those on a really limited budget who are now being forced to buy more "cheap" but unhealthy foods to feed their families.

dvcgirl
01-23-2008, 09:07 AM
We had a thread about inflation last week on this. A couple of us were able to compare costs from 2006 and 2007 on grocery costs. Both of us saw an 11% increase in 2007 over 2006.

Motherofboys
01-23-2008, 09:09 AM
This is what I'm finding too. I don't buy much "snack" type foods or soda. I'd rather my kids eat fruit or vegetables (I always keep cut up carrots and celery in the fridge w/ranch dip). Almost all the sales and coupons are for unhealthy snack foods. Fat free cottage cheese and string cheese have gone up almost 50% since last summer. Eggs have almost doubled. Fresh fruit and produce are really high here too. While I don't like spending what I do at the grocery store at least we can still afford it. We've just really cut way back on discretionary spending elsewhere. I feel bad for those on a really limited budget who are now being forced to buy more "cheap" but unhealthy foods to feed their families.

We're in the exact same situation :sad2: The only cheap things are the crappy things that I don't want my kids eating (chips, pop, little debbies, etc).

The prices on eggs, milk, cheese, and produce have been the biggest increases here. Even last year cheese was still going on sale at Kroger at least every few months for $1 for a 8oz block or bag. Now it nevers goes under $1.67 on sale. Eggs used to go 2 dozen for $1 a lot, now I can't get them for under $2 a dozen, and so on. Milk hovers here at $3.29 a gallon, used to go on sale every other week for $2/gallon. We go through almost a gallon a day, so that increase really adds up!!

sarahlovesmickey
01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
yeah, my mom and I talk about this all the time. Prices are just outrageous!!! I cut coupons and I shop for the sales. Things are just getting a bit out of hand!

tbrenk73
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM

I agree. For the past 3-4 weeks, I couldn't find grapes less than $3.99 pound. Of course, I didn't buy them. Now this week one store has them for $1.99.

kim929
01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
For some people they have to make the decision to put gas in the car to get to work or buy groceries. I ran into save alot the other night, I haven't shopped here in years (I was in a diffrent part of the state there isn't one near where I live) I bought 1 dz eggs, 2 bread, frz brocc. pkg stir fry meat snack for my son for school, bag of onions and a frz dinner my old ds likes it cost me 20.00 I didn't even buy the bag to put the stuff in I could carry it all. I have cut back so much now, I can't cut anymore.

MEM
01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
DH and I were just talking about this a few minutes ago. Last year at this time we were spending about $450 a month on groceries for the four of us. This year we are over $600 a month and we work really hard to stay at that figure. Its basically for the same food as last year.

I am another one who tried the Grocery Game and it didn't work for me. I stuck with it for two months but the coupons listed rarely appeared in my newspaper(s).

tinaluis
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I've noticed the largest increase on eggs. We get the 7.5 dozen box at Sam's club. In the past the lowest we've paid for the box is $4.79, with the average being about $6.00-$7.50. Recently DH did the shopping and the box was just under $14.00 :scared1: !!!!! I told him it was a good thing he was the one doing the shopping because I probably wouldn't have paid that much. The price has almost tripled. I mean, eggs used to be our cheapie meal -- you know the budget stretcher. Not anymore.

Even at Aldi where we do the bulk of our staple shopping, prices have gone up by $.10 to $.20 on everything or the packages have gotten smaller.

marcyinPA
01-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Our milk went down 10c since Christmas. It is now 3.59/gal. for 1%. This is PA state minimum. Milk never ever goes on sale here in PA!

I've noticed big increases elsewhere though. Eggs....they were over $2 a dozen when I bought them last week. I used to be able to get them for $1.49/doz. Bread was 1.99, used to be 1.49.

One big increase I noticed was in the Market Day fundraiser! Whoa!! We just got the new shopping guide and the things that I normally would buy once in a while have increased by $1, and some even more than that. Don't know if I'll be buying too much from that sale...and yes, I know that there is a big mark-up because it's a fundraiser.

If U Had Wings
01-23-2008, 10:55 AM
The produce at my local grocery store is really out of control, and the quality has been getting worse since they closed a local distribution center. I use to love strawberries with my breakfast cereal, but at $3.99 a pint I had to give them up and switch over to bananas.

We have a local asian market where the produce prices are lower, so I try to stock up there as much as possible.

I'm single, and still find it hard to keep my grocery bill at a doable level. I usually end up spending $30-$40 a week, and that doesn't even include meat. I've eating lots of pasta for dinner, and lots of PB&J for lunch to save money. I bought cold cuts this week as a treat, and ended up feeling awfully guilty after seeing the bill. I'm always horrified at the price of cereal. It's ususally about $4 a box. I've been getting some store brand Target cereal that I don't really like as much, but at least it's under $2 a box.

Darcy03231
01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
For some people they have to make the decision to put gas in the car to get to work or buy groceries. ................... I have cut back so much now, I can't cut anymore.

This is what I was referring to in a previous post. How are those with no discretionary spending left to cut in their budgets going to feed their families healthy meals? Sure you can still get hotdogs fairly cheap (at least here you can - $1.29 for 8 hot dogs) and macaroni & cheese is still cheap (3 boxes for $1.00), but lean meats, fresh fruit & vegetables and dairy have all been steadily climbing. The government puts all this money into studies about obesity, eating too much sodium, too much processed food and all the other unhealthy things we eat, but when prices are they way there are at the grocery store some families have no choice. Its really expensive to eat healthy.

crjack
01-23-2008, 11:08 AM

I live in Boston also and struggle with finding coupons that I can really use. Many require you to buy 2 or 3 of something or are for high price brands that I wouldn't always use. (cleaning items, etc.) If you dont use a lot of processed or snack food I find the newspaper ads to be very limiting.

I find shopping the local sales items for the stores in my area to be the best bet but my bill is still up. My kids are growing like crazy and with friends over we go through a bowl of grapes in minutes it seems.

dturner
01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
This is what I was referring to in a previous post. How are those with no discretionary spending left to cut in their budgets going to feed their families healthy meals? Sure you can still get hotdogs fairly cheap (at least here you can - $1.29 for 8 hot dogs) and macaroni & cheese is still cheap (3 boxes for $1.00), but lean meats, fresh fruit & vegetables and dairy have all been steadily climbing. The government puts all this money into studies about obesity, eating too much sodium, too much processed food and all the other unhealthy things we eat, but when prices are they way there are at the grocery store some families have no choice. Its really expensive to eat healthy.

Yes it is!!

mmfan53226
01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I have noticed that the prices are going up and it happens in a matter of days. I have since put together a spreadsheet with the prices of common items purchased and the prices at all of the stores that I shop at, so I know I am getting the best price all around.

I have also elminated buying things premade, like cookies, brownies, muffins, cupcakes. Now they are made from scratch, yes it takes more time, but the savings is a good trade off.

I keep hoping that my wages go up this fast!!!

Krystine

stahshee
01-23-2008, 11:33 AM

I here ya:) a friend of mine is part of the "working poor" they make to much for food stamps and she has no extra money to spare. Her children have medical condtions that require a certin way of eating( no dies ect) I think her wallett has taken a beating. Her dh works at Walmart and that is to much for food stamps:confused3 .. anyway no flames

If U Had Wings
01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I live in Boston also and struggle with finding coupons that I can really use. Many require you to buy 2 or 3 of something or are for high price brands that I wouldn't always use. (cleaning items, etc.) If you dont use a lot of processed or snack food I find the newspaper ads to be very limiting.

I find shopping the local sales items for the stores in my area to be the best bet but my bill is still up. My kids are growing like crazy and with friends over we go through a bowl of grapes in minutes it seems.

This is the problem I have. I have no use for coupons that are buy 2 get 1 free. As I live on my own usually the extras would go bad by the time I would need to use them. Just give me a nice .50 off one item or something like that and I'd be happy.

Usually I end up making one major thing for dinner for the week and filling in with soup when it runs out. It's cheaper that way for me, even if it gets awfully boring. I've come to really hate PB&J at lunch time.

ticktock
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I here ya:) a friend of mine is part of the "working poor" they make to much for food stamps and she has no extra money to spare. Her children have medical condtions that require a certin way of eating( no dies ect) I think her wallett has taken a beating. Her dh works at Walmart and that is to much for food stamps:confused3 .. anyway no flames

Has she tried WIC? I am NOT in favor of welfare since I think most people abuse it, but it sounds like your friend actually needs a little help. WIC would cover alot of the items that are going up, milk, eggs etc.

I know how hard it is just finding food you can eat with allegies. DS and I can't have soy or gluten. There are NO cheap or sale priced allergy friendly foods. Someone was complaining about paying .60 for a can of tuna? The only tuna I can buy (that doesn't have soy in the canning water) used to go on sale BOGO for $7 for a four pack, now I'm lucky if I see it on sale for $5.99 for one four pack! You guys think your grocery bills are bad? Hah! I'll trade you:lmao: .

SueInBoston
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Just back from grocery store, zuccini @ $2.99 a pound :scared1:

stahshee
01-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Has she tried WIC? I am NOT in favor of welfare since I think most people abuse it, but it sounds like your friend actually needs a little help. WIC would cover alot of the items that are going up, milk, eggs etc.

I know how hard it is just finding food you can eat with allegies. DS and I can't have soy or gluten. There are NO cheap or sale priced allergy friendly foods. Someone was complaining about paying .60 for a can of tuna? The only tuna I can buy (that doesn't have soy in the canning water) used to go on sale BOGO for $7 for a four pack, now I'm lucky if I see it on sale for $5.99 for one four pack! You guys think your grocery bills are bad? Hah! I'll trade you:lmao: .

Her kids are 7,11, 15. So she dose not qualify for anything. I think one child is on soy products. One can not have dies. She works a part time job. She can not work full time due to so many medical appointments. She is really haveing a hard time. Her dh works full time at Walmart. She really is stuck in a money rutt. :hug: .

neatokimmo
01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
I'd be curious to know what everyone's limits are on groceries.

These are mine:

Fruit $1 a pound for things like apples, pears...
$1.50 a pound for berries (I can get 4 pound bags of frozen strawberries for $5.50 that are so good, like sorbet when you blender them)

Meat
Chicken $2 a pound boneless $1 pound with bones
Beef $2 ground $3 roast type cuts
Pork $1.50 a pound for it's various forms
Fish $2.00 a pound for white fish, $4 for others
I don't eat things like lunchmeat or tuna in a can ( i can get fresh for $4 sometimes and I stock up)

Veggies
$1.50 for fresh of frozen, but they are usually $1 on sale

If things fall out of this range then I just don't buy them, everything cycles through a sale at some point.

Just back from grocery store, zuccini @ $2.99 a pound :scared1:

sahm1000
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
My grocery bill has also gone up dramatically recently. On Sunday I wasn't feeling well so DH went to the grocery store for me. It was very eye-opening for him since he usually complains about how much I spend. He spent $180 for about 8-9 days worth of groceries for a family of four. In comparison to last year I would say that is $20-30 more a week if not more. Thankfully we can afford it but it does mean that we cut back on our discretionary spending. I only buy healthy foods and that does cut back a lot on the number of coupons I am able to use (no hamburger helper, easy mac, etc.). And we do buy lots of organic products, especially dairy which is all organic (yogurt, milk, cheese, eggs). I tend to buy the expensive ground beef also to reduce the amount of fat in our diets also. But really, the prices are skyrocketing! The last month every time I have been to the store the price for grapes is $3.99 a pound (is there a shortage that I'm unaware of? a freeze where they are grown? :confused3 ) which is outrageous since we go through about 3 pounds a week. Apples this fall and winter have been $2.99 a pound (also outrageous in my mind). Bananas have gone up .12 cents in the last two months so that they are now .50 cents a pound instead of .38 cents. We don't buy prepared foods and almost everything is from scratch that is a baked good in our home. Add on to the ever rising gas prices and we are definitely feeling a pinch! Even our dog food has gone up by about $5 for a 40 pound bag in the last year. I guess Oscar might have to go on a diet :rotfl2: ! We also last week got the tuition increases for DD2 and DD4's preschool which will go up $120 a month next year :scared1: . Thankfully we are in a good place financially and DH makes a nice living but I know that our income is not the normal and I truly feel for others less fortunate. I don't know how they do it.

disneyfav4ever
01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I can spend under $50 a week on groceries, and eat reasonably healthy, but that is just for myself. This is some of the stuff I bought this week, for a total of about $40.

Pasta Sauce (1 Jar) - 50 cents
Peanut Butter (3 Jars) - 95 cents
Cream of Chicken Soup (2 Cans) - $1.14
Blueberries (Pint) - $2.00
Weight Watchers Entrees (4) $1.66 - $1.89 each
Weight Watchers Desserts (2 two-packs) - $2.00
Fruit - (2 Jars) - $3.00
Fruit Cups - (3 four-packs) $2.97
Bananas (4) - $1.28
Purex Detergent (1) - $2.50
Supper Bakes (1) $2.50
Pecans (2 bags) $2.48
Lean Pockets (1) 67 cents
Milk (1/2 Gallon) $1.98
Aunt Jemima Breakfast Entrees $3.80
Chicken (4 Lbs Bone-in Breasts) $3.65

I think there was some other stuff too. I'm not looking at my reciepts right now, but I remember getting more then this.

Darcy03231
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM

I don't really have a limit per se. I have a freezer and will stock up on meats when they're on sale (ie chicken breast at $1.99/lb, ground beef at $1.99/lb, etc). My issue now is that we've pretty much depleted the stock in the freezer and the cost of meat has been rising, to say nothing of the cost of fish. There really haven't been any great sales and it all costs much more now than it did six months ago.

My family eats a lot of salad, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. Nothing in the produce section has really been on sale. So, I buy it no matter what the price is. DS loves to snack on salad and fruit.

I don't buy any premade cakes, cookies, desserts, etc.. so I really don't pay attention to the prices there. I make everything from scratch.

I'm buying all the same things I did a year ago, it just costs a lot more.

rparmfamily
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I live in Hawaii and wanted to add in some of my prices, just for laughs!! :lmao: This is shopping at Walmart or the commissary.
I can spend under $50 a week on groceries, and eat reasonably healthy, but that is just for myself. This is some of the stuff I bought this week, for a total of about $40.

Peanut Butter (3 Jars) - 95 cents (PB is $3 a jar here, at least)
Cream of Chicken Soup (2 Cans) - $1.14 (soup is $1.69 a can!)
Blueberries (Pint) - $2.00 ($4.98 for a pint)
Weight Watchers Entrees (4) $1.66 - $1.89 each (about $3.50 each)
Fruit - (2 Jars) - $3.00
Bananas (4) - $1.28 ($.99 a lb)
Purex Detergent (1) - $2.50 (I buy All and it's $4.98 for the smallest size)
Supper Bakes (1) $2.50
Pecans (2 bags) $2.48
Milk (1/2 Gallon) $1.98 ($3.98 for 1/2 gallon)
Chicken (4 Lbs Bone-in Breasts) $3.65 (not sure, I buy boneless $8 lb a pt, I buy cutlets now, which run about $6 for the package)

I think there was some other stuff too. I'm not looking at my reciepts right now, but I remember getting more then this.

extremesoccermom
01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I am already starting to plan my late winter/spring garden right now. I have put a few dollars away for seeds and potting soil. I have saved 3 of the paper egg cartons and am ready to start growing spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower. This helped alot last year. I had home grown salads until July when it got to hot for the lettuce and spinach. I should have restarted some more because it really didn't get cold here until this past week. I could have had a fall supply too!

marcyinPA
01-23-2008, 03:29 PM

These are mine:

$1.50 a pound for berries (I can get 4 pound bags of frozen strawberries for $5.50 that are so good, like sorbet when you blender them)

Meat
I don't eat things like lunchmeat or tuna in a can ( i can get fresh for $4 sometimes and I stock up)

Veggies

If things fall out of this range then I just don't buy them, everything cycles through a sale at some point.

I try not to put a price limit on fruits and veggies. I am picky though about where I purchase my produce. I usually either go to Wegman's or our farmers market in town. I stay away from Giant...their produce is awful and really pricey.

At the farmers market, I always buy a 3-pack of romaine hearts (1.99), a bag of baby carrots (.99), and a roma tomato or two (2.99/lb). Sometimes I'll get a cucumber (.99 ea) or green peppers (these I got at the farmers market this weekend, a tray of 4 for 1.39). The farmers market had apples for .99/lb, and Minneola tangerines a tray of 6 for 1.59. Our farmers market also has peeled and cored pineapple for 2.99.

If I don't make it to the farmers market, which isn't really close by, I'll pick up the salad stuff at Wegman's regardless of the price. I just put it in the cart and don't look back.

I used to balk about spending 2.99/lb on grapes, but then I'd buy a bag of chips for 3-something. One day, I had an "a-ha" moment....why would I spend more on chips than on fruit? So now I buy the fruit regardless of the price, and skip the chips!

Darcy03231
01-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I am already starting to plan my late winter/spring garden right now. I have put a few dollars away for seeds and potting soil. I have saved 3 of the paper egg cartons and am ready to start growing spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower. This helped alot last year. I had home grown salads until July when it got to hot for the lettuce and spinach. I should have restarted some more because it really didn't get cold here until this past week. I could have had a fall supply too!

I do this too! Last summer I did lettuce (both red and green leaf), tomatoes, summer squash, broccoli, spinach, green bean and yellow beans. Since I live in the northeast I start them early in my basement from seeds and then plant them in the spring. We had fresh salads and veggies all summer and into the early fall here.

Sethsmom
01-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I have been complaining about milk, eggs and cheese now for a while. Cheapest I have found a gallon of milk lately has been $3.99 at CVS. I can't remember what the eggs where and cheese has gone up too. Walmarts milk the last time I checked was $4.09. Bananas are .59 a pound.

I only buy whats on sale except for milk and eggs. I hardly ever see them on sale. I try to also only buy things I have coupons for too. I try to stay away from the hamburger helper, mac and cheese and that type of thing.

I think the stores now that milk and eggs are things people buy regardless of price, so they can sell them for whatever they want to.

I just watch the sales and if it's not on sale or I don't have a good coupon, it says on the shelf.

HeatherC
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Neatokimmo - Where are you located? I would LOVE to be able to buy food at that price. I just came from the grocery store and here's what's for sale.

Grapes 3.99 a lb.
Apples 1.79a lb.
Pears 1.69 a lb.
Cantaloupe 2.50
Strawberries 3.99 a qt.
Clementines - 6.99 for a 5lb box.

I checked out some fish and the cheapest was salmon filet for 7.99 a lb.

I'm telling ya...these prices are killing us!!!

Heather

HeatherC
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
sorry double post

imcandi376
01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I worked in the retail grocery industry. Everytime gas prices go up the food is going to go up. If they can get the oil prices back down and the gas prices back down the food would come back down. So much of the grocery business is transportation and in the winter heating 10,000 sq ft stores. It doesn't even come down to pay anymore as most stores are so understaffed it is ridiculous.

I feel the pain too, as I live in the chicagoland area and there are not any stores that do double couponing. I just started CVSing and am having a great time doing that. I do however put a mental cap on what I will pay for certain things. Chicken breast never more than 1.79pp
Legs or thighs .89 sometimes i get lucky and meijer has them for .49
Any type of beef or sausage no more than $2.99. Although I try for much less.

I have been shocked by the prices of cheap cuts of meats, IE round steaks, ground beef, and shanks for soups. This is how I remember my mom feeding us and sometimes they are more than a steak. Which is obscene.

crjack
01-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Peanut Butter (3 Jars) - 95 cents
Cream of Chicken Soup (2 Cans) - $1.14
Blueberries (Pint) - $2.00
Weight Watchers Entrees (4) $1.66 - $1.89 each
Fruit - (2 Jars) - $3.00
Bananas (4) - $1.28
Purex Detergent (1) - $2.50
Supper Bakes (1) $2.50
Pecans (2 bags) $2.48
Milk (1/2 Gallon) $1.98
Chicken (4 Lbs Bone-in Breasts) $3.65

I'm not sure where you are located but I want to come shop at your supermarket! My son loves peanut butter and I have never even seen it for 95 cents, even for the smallest jar. Same with pasta sauce for 50 cents.

Everything is so different from city to city.

mom2my3kids
01-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I went today and just purchased a few things and spent 50.00 and I have to grocery shop friday:scared1:

mom2my3kids
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Wasn't for me either..

stahshee
01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
well I am going shopping tomm. I have been looking at some sale adds that I will go to Walmart with or go to the store directly.

1. Kmart has VO5 Shampoo for 69cents.. 15 oz
they also have Pop Tarts 3/5$ (to bad I dont need them)
2. Rite Aid has Suave on sale for 88 cents.. 15 oz....now the freebee thread has a printable coupon for 1$ off Suave:woohoo:
Scott TP 12 rolls for 5.99 ( I have a 75 cents coupon to)
anyway I have to do about 250$ worth of shopping with about 150.:laughing: so I will see how it goes

denisenh
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
I have noticed that the prices are going up and it happens in a matter of days. I have since put together a spreadsheet with the prices of common items purchased and the prices at all of the stores that I shop at, so I know I am getting the best price all around.

I have also elminated buying things premade, like cookies, brownies, muffins, cupcakes. Now they are made from scratch, yes it takes more time, but the savings is a good trade off.

I keep hoping that my wages go up this fast!!!

Krystine

The prices of everything are killing me! My paycheck went down because my health insurance at work is nearly $300 a week now.

So, I have to think of it all as a challenge. My kids have never heard the word "no" so much. I would generally give them what they wanted, within reason, and now "fahgitaboudit" is the message. I must say that they are very good about the sudden change. No complaining. I spend more time with them which they like. We all chat in the kitchen while I cook and clean. I do it as a diversion because they like my attention still, even though they are 11 and 15.

Anyway........

I have been doing more baking lately too. Today I made a delicious apple crisp for desert. It was what I had handy, 5 large apples that needed to be used, flour sugar cinnamon butter.
I was tired from the day and was also making biscuts to go with dinner but I feel better about feeding food to my family when I know whats in it.
Everyone is satisfied and not looking in the kitchen for "late" snacks.

I have a few errands to run tomorrow but I am going to try to use a bag of frozen blueberries to make waffles and muffins to freeze as well as homemade pizza or a quiche for supper..I'll even peel and slice fresh carrots to steam instead of canned. :)

We haven't bought carbonated beverages in a while now. I have been buying 100% juices and using filtered water and ice from the fridge dispenser, served in goblets to make it more tempting.
We do use several gallons of 1% milk each week, though.
At least its not all empty calories. I am trying to pay more attention to getting the nutrients needed for the $$$ we spend.

DH did our shopping from a list this week as well. I explained about "shopping the perimeter" (dairy, meat, fruit, veggies) and he had coupons for our toiletries.
He did complain about the price of eggs because I ask him to buy the "egglands best". :confused3 I honestly don't even know how much they are.

I like reading about other folks ideas on saving money. :flower3:

Good luck to us all! :grouphug:

neatokimmo
01-24-2008, 06:30 AM
I am in TN, faced with those choices I would of done the apples and pears. I always have frozen strawberries (they are frozen ripe and are very good!). I like Clementines but that is our normal price for them and they go on sale for $5.49 a box every so often.

If salmon was that much I'd never eat it! I can get strip steak for that price. I mean I like salmon but steak is better :)

Neatokimmo - Where are you located? I would LOVE to be able to buy food at that price. I just came from the grocery store and here's what's for sale.

Grapes 3.99 a lb.
Apples 1.79a lb.
Pears 1.69 a lb.
Cantaloupe 2.50
Strawberries 3.99 a qt.

Heather

SandraVB79
01-24-2008, 08:04 AM

These are mine:

Meat

Veggies

To me, all these prices are very very very cheap.
1 kg of ground beef here costs more than 10 eur, so about 15 usd.
a bottle of shampoo (8 oz or even less!) is about 4 eur (+/- 6 usd). that's regular store shampoo, not the fancy salon kinds (count about 15 eur for that)
Steak is about 20 eur per kg (30 usd)
2 eur for a bottle of 1.5 l Coke.

My car drives on diesell, it's about 1.2 eur per liter (that would be more than 6 usd per gallon)

I don't think we make more money than in the us. I just calculayed my gross yearly income (33800). substract about 45% for income tac. so that's not a whole lot, and yet I have one of the better paying jobs.

It's like that "where or you on the list of the richest people in the world": there is always worse :)

Darcy03231
01-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Grapes 3.99 a lb.
Apples 1.79a lb.
Pears 1.69 a lb.
Cantaloupe 2.50
Strawberries 3.99 a qt.

Heather

Heather - you must live in the Northeast too! Those are the prices where I live (southern NH, just north of Boston). I used to just wait until stuff went on sale, but lately the only things that are in our flyers that are "on sale" is soda, chips, premade cookies, etc.. The last time fish was less than $7.00 a pound was back in November.

tbrenk73
01-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Heather - you must live in the Northeast too! Those are the prices where I live (southern NH, just north of Boston). I used to just wait until stuff went on sale, but lately the only things that are in our flyers that are "on sale" is soda, chips, premade cookies, etc.. The last time fish was less than $7.00 a pound was back in November.

I am in NJ and clementines were $7.99 a box this AM. I haven't seen grapes under $4 in awhile. Shop Rite had them this morning for $2.49 and I grabbed them. Strawberried under $4 are hard to find as well.

pjlla
01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I' m not great at keeping track of what I spend on groceries, so I can't compare there, but I totally agree about prices going up. I keep a price book (casually since about 1995) and NOTHING is available for the 1995 prices any more.... or even the 2005 prices!

I kind of have a "mental" limit of what I will spend on certain things.... especially meat. I figure that my family is getting the same nutritional value from a 79 cent/lb package of chicken thighs that they are getting from the $5.99 roast or steak so obviously I opt for the chicken. But I will admit that it really limits the diversity of our meals.

Most of what you all have written makes me start thinking about my Tightwad Gazette books and what they say about groceries. As far as milk goes, could you possibly use instant milk?? Maybe just for recipes? Or mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with "real" milk? I KNOW it would take some getting used to, but it maybe worth it.

As far as fruits and veggies go, try buying stuff that is IN SEASON somewhere near you. Of COURSE strawberries (coming from California and Florida), and grapes (also coming from California) are going to be pricey. Think about how much gas it costs to ship those to New England... not to mention keeping them at the right temperature,, etc. Meanwhile the local apples and winter squash that were picked in September and October and stored locally are usually quite a bit cheaper. And frozen fruits and veggies are always a reasonable alternative, at least occasionally.

Maybe it's time to find some new recipes that call for cheaper ingredients and/or are meatless (or use less meat anyhow). And make sure that nothing goes to waste.

I'm just trying to offer some alternative ideas. Hope someone might be helped.................P

stahshee
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
well I went to Walmart and did the price add compare . ( I would hate to wait in line behind me) here were my deals:banana:
ok I did get the VO5 Shampoo for 69 cents each:banana:
I did get the Scott 12 roll tp for 599 and I had a 75 cents off coupon:banana:
I bought 2 paks of the Slim fast Optima bars 45 cents each ( I had 2 coupons for 3$ off a box)
I got a free Pasta Birilla noodles( I did a survey)
I also got a free Pasta Barillia spag sauce
I got a free 4c tubes ( looks like Crystal light drink mix). I had to buy 4 c drop inns (works great I was planning on takeing that to Disney)
anyway my total was 97 befor coupons after was 77:banana:

then I went to Dollar General
I bought the Suave shampoo for 1$ and I had 1$ off coupon:laughing:
I bought 2 Palmolive dish soap for 1$ each and then I had a1$off coupon:laughing:
Then I went to Aldi and spent 170:scared1: on veggies, meat and paper products:headache:

PatriciaH
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I just looked in our Publix sale flyer.

Peaches: $2.49/lb
Cantaloupe: $2.50
Strawberries: $2.50/16 oz
Cherries: $2.49/lb
Red Grapefruit: $2.50
Florida Natural Orange Juice: $3.00/64 oz
Sabrett beef franks: $2.50/16 oz package
Pork Loin: $2.59/lb
Top Round: $3.49/lb
DiGiorno Pizza: $4.50
Red Potatoes: $2.00/5 lb bag
Publix oven roasted turkey breast: $5.19/12 oz package
Publix potato salad: $2.39/16 oz
Lysol: $4.99/19 oz
Purina One dog food: $15.99/20 oz bag

I find lean ground beef to be about $4/lb- crazy! I remember 2-3 yrs ago it was about $1.85/lb.

Darcy03231
01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I' m not great at keeping track of what I spend on groceries, so I can't compare there, but I totally agree about prices going up. I keep a price book (casually since about 1995) and NOTHING is available for the 1995 prices any more.... or even the 2005 prices!

I kind of have a "mental" limit of what I will spend on certain things.... especially meat. I figure that my family is getting the same nutritional value from a 79 cent/lb package of chicken thighs that they are getting from the $5.99 roast or steak so obviously I opt for the chicken. But I will admit that it really limits the diversity of our meals.

Most of what you all have written makes me start thinking about my Tightwad Gazette books and what they say about groceries. As far as milk goes, could you possibly use instant milk?? Maybe just for recipes? Or mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with "real" milk? I KNOW it would take some getting used to, but it maybe worth it.

As far as fruits and veggies go, try buying stuff that is IN SEASON somewhere near you. Of COURSE strawberries (coming from California and Florida), and grapes (also coming from California) are going to be pricey. Think about how much gas it costs to ship those to New England... not to mention keeping them at the right temperature,, etc. Meanwhile the local apples and winter squash that were picked in September and October and stored locally are usually quite a bit cheaper. And frozen fruits and veggies are always a reasonable alternative, at least occasionally.

Maybe it's time to find some new recipes that call for cheaper ingredients and/or are meatless (or use less meat anyhow). And make sure that nothing goes to waste.

I'm just trying to offer some alternative ideas. Hope someone might be helped.................P

A lot of these are great ideas. I've been cooking with instant milk for a long time and no one in my family has ever noticed the difference. I did it to help cut down on fat. It's also helped in that I'm definitely not buying as much milk to drink.

While I wouldn't mind meatless dishes, there is no way DH would go for that! He's a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. I can just imagine the look on his face if I didn't serve some kind of meat or fish for dinner.:rotfl: DS would most likely have the same look too! They'd think they were being punished.

Fortunately, we're still able to continue buying as I always have, it just costs more. I know I could cut a lot of it out if I had to (such as strawberries, blueberries, melon, grapes) but right now I'm just cutting back on discretionary spending in other categories (ie eating out) to make up the difference. I really feel for the people who don't have any discretionary spending left in their budget.

Another way to save is to cook meals that can be used for two nights. I posted this on another thread. Some of the things I do are:

I make up a big batch of spaghetti sauce and meatballs and a big salad. One night we have meatball subs with salad and the next we have spaghetti and meatballs with salad and garlic bread.

Cook a good size turkey. On night one have a turkey dinner. For the second night I cut up the leftover turkey and put it in gravy with mixed vegetables and serve over biscuits. We also have enough left over for turkey sandwiches and I make turkey noodle soup (which gives us a third meal).

Cook a large ham. On night one have ham, baked potatoes, vegetable and salad. On night two cube the ham and add to macaroni and cheese and add a package (or can) of peas and serve with the remainder of the salad.

If your family doesn't like to eat the same things in a row each night, you can do the meatballs on night 1, turkey on night 2, ham on night 3, spaghetti & meatballs on night 4, turkey w/biscuits & gravy on night 5 and ham w/macaroni on night 6.

grlpwrd
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I have noticed prices creeping up everywhere around here ... WM, Food Lion, Costco, etc. :headache:

I have been online forever and I used to be really active with the natural, make your own forums, websites, and e-groups. These are my ideas:

- I plan to garden more this year. For now I plan to use up what I stockpiled (frozen and some dehydrated and canned stuff). I think learning how to preserve food in the future will come in handy. This includes canning, dehydrating, and freezing.

- I have always stockpiled, fortunately. I have the usual toiletries and basic stockpile, but thanks to my Mormon cousins I have collected food that I store in my closet. I am talking big 10# cans of stuff. :laughing: My husband was laid off many, many times and this will come in handy. It might be late in the game for some, but it's an idea that may be used in the future.

- I cook more - way more - and I have made more changes. ;) I have cookbooks galore, like Taste of Home, Mennonite cookbooks, Amish cookbooks, etc. I already make dishes with rice, beans, grains, legumes, and pastas. Plus, soups, salads, vegetarian, and ethnic foods. I already do the theme nights and now my kids help cook, too.

I also shop at ethnic grocery stores more. Yet I noticed their prices have gone up a little, too. ugh Now I make our own pizza, muffins, waffles, pancakes, hotdog buns, hamburger buns, etc. I also make my own baking mixes which can be used to make rolls, biscuits, etc. with one recipe or by adding to a basic recipe.

- I use less milk, too. I choose other foods with calcium or drink other milks, like soy or rice milk. We rarely buy canned juice, but I did buy a used Vitamix mixer from ebay to make our own drinks.

- I eat out less. Now we're down to eating out only once per month at the most. I make our own "copycat" recipes.

- Popcorn is our friend. :laughing: Really, it's a great, inexpensive snack - except be careful giving it to little one's because it's a choking hazard. I pop it using a regular popper that I have since we were married. I make all types of my own seasonings (pizza, cheese, etc.) with recipes I have collected over time from online sources.

- I do the usual make my own cleansers using natural products. I also use vinegar for many, many things, like for cleaning and as a clothes rinse in my washer.

- I buy locally. I have always gone to farmer's markets and also use pickyourown.org. I can't wait until it gets warmer! :)

- I stretch meals, too. I do what is called the "rubber chicken" which is stretching chicken to use over several meals. I only eat chicken now, but you can also do this for other meats. Cook your meat and then plan for other meals liek someone has already mentioned.

- I also barter with friends and neighbors. If I have a surplus of tomatoes, I trade for some cucumbers or whatever. I also donate my excess produce from my garden to food banks. I know the food banks are really aching this year.

Hope this helps anyone out there... :)

CyndiK
01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi everyone:

Here are a few tips that I can share that really help me:

1) Find the best sales and add coupons: One thing that I have learned that always helps to minimize the cost impact is to pre-shop and hunt down the best deals on your staples (or your weekly list) and then add coupons to the sale prices to get the absolute lowest possible deal. I moderate a Forum at our site (MyGroceryDeals.com) and I hear incredible stories of how people pay mere pennies for things that would normally be expensive and not fit into their budget. Then throw in coupon doubling and tripling and some shoppers even get MONEY BACK from their purchases!

2) Buy reduced: Meat and product departments will have fabulous deals on perishables as they approach their expiry date. Just last week, I bought 2 large dishes of pre-cut melon that were expiring the next day. It was priced by weight, one was $5.93 and the other was $6.03. That's alot of money for cut melon! However, because they were expiring the next day, they had $5 OFF peelies on each. So, for $1.96, I got enough melon to feed my kids fresh melong for dessert for the rest of the week. I don't know what I was thinking because the way that my kids eat, it only lasted 2 days! I often buy meat this way and either use it the same day or freeze it immediately.

3) Use MyGroceryDeals.com: I know this sounds like a plug, but I wouldn't do it unless I believed it worked! USE OUR SITE AND PRINT OUR COUPONS Our site will instantly serve up all the deals in your area and you can cherry pick the best ones then add coupons. You can even search for individual products and items. It's free, so don't worry about being out of pocket.

Hope this helps, I really enjoyed reading all of your posts!

staceyfe
01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I usually buy shredded cheese at Sams--5# for about $10. Today the price was $14. I couldn't believe it!

HeatherC
01-25-2008, 05:42 AM
DARCY03231 - You are right! I'm in the Northeast...Central Mass. to be exact. Prices definitely seem to be higher here than some other areas.

I was just reading another post about budget dinners and somebody listed a lb of ground beef for $1.50. There is NO way that I could find it that cheap where I live.

Guess we'll just have to keep plugging along.

Heather

kydisneyfans
01-25-2008, 05:55 AM
I have seen ground beef at 3 different stores for .99/lb over the past month. Granted, it is the cheapie stuff. (75/25?)

Grapes were .99 at a roadside stand last week-I actually made a uturn in the middle of the road and bought some once I saw that sign. How can a hole in the wall in the middle of KY sell them at a 1/4 of the cost of Meijer/Kroger/Walmart?

Over the past 2 weeks I have seen:
Strawberries-2.28 lb
Cantalope-1.33 each
Oranges-4 lbs for 1.99
blueberries/raspberries-.99 1/2 pint
Milk-2.50

I have seen prices take a jump over the past few weeks also, it's now more important than ever to match ads with coupons and buy seasonal produce.

mrsbornkuntry
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I also shop at ethnic grocery stores more. Yet I noticed their prices have gone up a little, too. ugh Now I make our own pizza, muffins, waffles, pancakes, hotdog buns, hamburger buns, etc. I also make my own baking mixes which can be used to make rolls, biscuits, etc. with one recipe or by adding to a basic recipe.

I would like to start doing this more, too. Can I ask, what is a good resource for recipes for bread products like that?