PDA

View Full Version : Oscars - Tonight's the Night!

WeatherbySwann
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
I would have put this in the Community Board, but it seem like it would hold more interest over here.

Disney's racked up in this year's Oscar nominations this year! I'm REALLY hoping that the ceremony won't be concelled like the Golden Globes was. Here are the nominations Disney garnered. (For an entire list of nominees, Disney and otherwise, click here (http://oscar.com/nominees/).)

Enchanted
-Best Song - "That's How You Know"
-Best Song - "Happy Working Song"
-Best Song - "So Close"
With a 3/5 chance of winning, I think there's a chance Enchanted will win. ;)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
-Makeup
-Visual Effects - if POTC doesn't win this, then the film who does must have had some pretty snazzy special effects to beat out the Maelstrom. pirate:

Ratatouille
-Best Animated Film
-Best Original Score (Michael Giacchino)
-Sound Editing
-Sound Mixing
-Best Original Screenplay (Brad Bird)

Let's hope for the best and, if we're lucky, February 24 will be a happy night in the world of Disney. :wizard:

yulilin3
01-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah! Go Enchanted. LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE this movie, can't wait for the DVD.:lovestruc . I also hope that the ceremony isn't cancelled, It's my tradition to be the only one in the house awake for the whole thing.

BuzzandAriel'smom
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Finally Movies I've actually seen are being nominated! I loved Enchanted and the song "That's how you know" just made me smile for days.

Yay Disney!

TheDisneyGirl02
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
How exciting!!!!! I hope all of the movies do really well at the Oscars!!!! :)

jjk
01-22-2008, 02:24 PM
great news:goodvibes

Robo
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Enchanted
-Best Song - "That's How You Know"
-Best Song - "Happy Working Song"
-Best Song - "So Close"

Some of the best new Disney music in years!

I posted about the wonderful soundtrack here on the boards the day the CD was released.

Thanks for posting.

Now if only Amy Adams had been given a nomination.
What a performance!

WeatherbySwann
01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Finally Movies I've actually seen are being nominated! I loved Enchanted and the song "That's how you know" just made me smile for days.

Yay Disney!

Yeah, I know - it seems like every year I watch the Oscars just for "Best Animated Film", and last year Cars didn't even win - this year I can actually watch the whole thing and recognize the movies! :)

Some of the best new Disney music in years!

I posted about the wonderful soundtrack here on the boards the day the CD was released.

Thanks for posting.

Now if only Amy Adams had been given a nomination.
What a performance!

I agree, great soundtrack - the score is iffy, but the songs are fantastic. :wizard: I originally didn't really like "So Close", but I must say it's growing on me! :) I had it stuck in my head all day today.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1642702

EDIT: Good news! I just checked the Disney DVD website and Enchanted comes out March 18!!! (It's really tempting to purchase a Blu Ray Player for the "D Files" feature ;))

Stinkerbell317
01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Amy Adams was ROBBED!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Tonight's the night!!!!! :hyper:

I heard we might be treated to a few performances from Enchanted. :)

Brian_WDW74
02-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I heard we might be treated to a few performances from Enchanted. :)

Yes! Here's what's scheduled:

"Happy Working Song" - performed by Amy Adams herself (yay! :cool1: )

"That’s How You Know" - performed by Kristin Chenoweth and Marlon Saunders

"So Close" - performed by Jon McLaughlin

I can't wait! :cheer2:

Disney Fool
02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
There was an article in the Boston Globe last week that stated Amy Adams was "cheated" out of an oscar nomination. I agree. Her performance was at the very least, worthy of a nod. She was nominated for a Golden Globe. What's up with that, Oscar?

disneyfaninaz
02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
The Oscars will not be cancelled. The strike is over!

As far as the nominations, the Golden Globes has 2 categories for best actress in a movie, drama and comedy/musical. Since there are twice the categories are available for Golden Globes you get twice the available nominations. The Oscars don't do that yet. They have one category for best actress. Oh well.

WDWguru
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
The Oscars don't do that yet. They have one category for best actress.

... and they basically ignore comedy. But you can't feel too bad - there are lots of deserving, incredibly talented people who have never been recognized by the Academy. She did get nominated last year for supporting actress for Junebug, and she's young... lots of time to get more of them (and win).

My concern over best song is that they will cancel each other out, like with Dreamgirls, and something else will win.

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah! Fellow Oscar fans! It's the only awards show that I will watch! This is the first year that DD asked to watch it with me, so I will have company for a couple of hours at least!

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
1 hour and 15 minutes till showtime! :hyper:

Amy Adams was just interviewed by Ryan Seacrest on the E! Channel . . . they talked about her Giselle doll.

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
1 hour and 15 minutes till showtime! :hyper:

Amy Adams was just interviewed by Ryan Seacrest on the E! Channel . . . they talked about her Giselle doll.

Just finished watching Barbara Walter's interviewing Harrison Ford about the new Indiana Jones film -- maybe DHS will do something special for it since IJSS is there. Hmmm....

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Woohoo! They just showed the dancers backstage for That's How You Know! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! (I really hope they go ahead and get the songs out of the way - I'd like to be in bed by ten! :blush: )

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Woohoo! They just showed the dancers backstage for That's How You Know! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! (I really hope they go ahead and get the songs out of the way - I'd like to be in bed by ten! :blush: )

I saw them too! Surely if they are already lined up backstage it will be soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

CanadianGuy
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
And Ratatouille wins.

Where are you NOW Jim Hill? :)

Knox

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 08:49 PM
And Ratatouille wins.

Knox

:lmao:

Glad it won, though Brad Bird seemed very nervous!

Too bad POTC didn't win for makeup. pirate: :sad2:

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
And Ratatouille wins.

Knox

LOVE IT!

And Amy Adams was fabulous! She is such a perfect Disney princess!

CanadianGuy
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Amy Adams performance was spot-on.. Really good.. I had a smile on my face the whole time!

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Bravo, Amy Adams! Encore! :)

Brian_WDW74
02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow! Amy Adams sang that perfectly! It sounded exactly like it did in the movie. :lovestruc

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Amy Adams performance was spot-on.. Really good.. I had a smile on my face the whole time!

Bravo, Amy Adams! Encore! :)

I wish she was singing How Do I Know :sad2: . It doesn't seem fair.

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Aww, too bad POTC didn't win visual effects. At least the winner quoted Walt, though. :)

I mean, Golden Compass must've had some pretty nifty effects to beat out the Maelstrom! pirate:

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, it's Lightning McQueen! ;)

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Aww, too bad POTC didn't win visual effects. At least the winner quoted Walt, though. :)

I mean, Golden Compass must've had some pretty nifty effects to beat out the Maelstrom! pirate:

Both the kids (and myself) were disappointed about that -- I tried explaining that we didn't see The Golden Compass so we couldn't really judge. Still, though, I think POTC should have won! :sad1:

CanadianGuy
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Kristen Chenowith did a pretty job with "How Do You Know" -- didn't sound like Amy Adams.. but still.. I enjoyed it.

:)

Knox

M2DD's
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I love this song from enchanted"thats how you know you love her"Its on now(8:45) and sounds amazing. I have tivo and am going to watch it again

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Although I would have preferred Amy Adams, that was still a fantastic performance!! :wizard: And the nice Disney touch of Hannah Montana introducing it was nice, too. :)

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Kristen Chenowith did a pretty job with "How Do You Know" -- didn't sound like Amy Adams.. but still.. I enjoyed it.

:)

Knox

Me too -- I figured that Kristen Chenowith would do a good job since she was first and foremost a musical actress. She still wasn't Amy though. I don't know which of the Enchanted songs I want to win -- I guess I will be happy with any of them :).

FigmentJason
02-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I was REALLY disappointed with the "That's How you Know" Performance. Kristin Chenoweth sounded OK -- I mean she hit the rough notes etc., but it lacked what Amy Adams brought to the song. I'm hoping it was Amy Adams decision to not do that song. I just saw "So Close" Performed -- I liked the ballroom atmosphere -- it was really Disney.

And now I see Enchanted didn't win for any song!! The song that won :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: was horrible in my opinion.

Brian_WDW74
02-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Well...that was anti-climactic. And quite a let down. Still, it was nice to see Amy dancing during "So Close." She did Enchanted proud tonight. :)

Charleston Princess
02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
And now I see Enchanted didn't win for any song!! The song that won :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: was horrible in my opinion.

As disappointed as I am that none of the Enchanted songs won (after all I have been listening to the CD in the car since November), I do have to disagree about the song that won -- I think it is beautiful and as soon as I heard it I had a "premonition" that it might win.

BabaGanoush
02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I am sorry but Falling Slowly from the film Once deserved that win big time. It is a beautiful song with a ton of power to it. I thought the songs from Enchanted were fun and whimsical... but I have to agree with the Academy on this one.

WeatherbySwann
02-24-2008, 10:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
:sad:

Oh, well, at least the songwriters that won seemed very deserving and gracious for their win. I was happy for them but of course still dissappointed that none of the Enchanted songs won.

Still, it was nice to see Amy dancing during "So Close." She did Enchanted proud tonight. :)

Was it? It looked like her from a distance, but on some of the closer shots it didn't really seem like her to me. :confused3 Nevertheless, it was still an awesome, very Disney performance. The Prince Edward & Nancy cameo at the end was nice, too. And the fact that Robert himself introduced the song was great. :)

So, although neither of the Enchanted songs won, I think tonight proved something very important: That Enchanted would make an AWESOME adaptation to the stage, whether it be Broadway or the theme parks. A WDW show of it would be SO GREAT!!! :wizard: Or at least a meet n greet or something.

Brian_WDW74
02-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Was it? It looked like her from a distance, but on some of the closer shots it didn't really seem like her to me. :confused3

I thought it was. I thought she was wearing the same dress she was wearing earlier in the broadcast. But I mainly only recognize her when she's dressed as Giselle, so I could be wrong. :)

Brian_WDW74
02-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey, it's pretty cool that one of Disney's movies won Best Picture!

(In case anyone is wondering, "No Country for Old Men" was produced and distributed by Miramax Films, which is wholly-owned by The Walt Disney Company. :))

WeatherbySwann
02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
For anyone that missed last night's show . . .

Happy Working Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu3EGNFuAXM) (poor quality)
That's How You Know (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7Tg9FzUCI) - Now looking back at the video I realize it's the same senior citizens from the movie dancing in this performance (one of whom danced in "Step in Time"in Mary Poppins)!! How cool is that! :)
So Close (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0cXkkyuX0)

WeatherbySwann
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Here's a recap of Disney's nominations and results:

Enchanted
-Best Song - "That's How You Know" - Lose
-Best Song - "Happy Working Song" - Lose
-Best Song - "So Close" - Lose

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
-Makeup - Lose
-Visual Effects - Lose

Ratatouille
-Best Animated Film - Win
-Best Original Score (Michael Giacchino)- Lose
-Sound Editing- Lose
-Sound Mixing- Lose
-Best Original Screenplay (Brad Bird)- Lose

Brian_WDW74
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
You're leaving out all of Disney's Miramax wins! :wave2:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)

Achievement in cinematography
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax) Robert Elswit

Achievement in directing
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Best motion picture of the year
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production
Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers

Adapted screenplay
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

WeatherbySwann
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Ooops! Sometimes I forget what other companies are really Disney. :blush:

I've always wondered why Disney labels certain movies as Mirmax or Hollywood or Buena Vista or whatever - I mean look at how much recognition they'd have gotten if they had put their name on No Country For Old Men!