PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still going to WDW even with all the talk about a recession?

tiff211
01-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I know that I should stash the money in my savings that I am using towards our trip but can't bring myself to cancel. We invited my 83 yo grandmother to go with us this year, an early birthday present, she has never been and i think she is more excited than my dd's. This will be a memorable trip for her and DD's (spending time with her at the "happiest place on earth") and to me that is priceless. She visited us over the holidays and mentioned "when she leaves us" a few times. She NEVER talks like that. It kinda scared me. I heard that older people sort of know.

So, we are still going, using our tax refund. Just cutting back, only one character meal instead of 3. No hopping. No souvies. Looking for other ways to budget between now and April. I would be devastated if I cancelled and then something happened to her. Under ordinary circumstances, we would probably cancel and save the money.

heartsy77
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I am with you I just used all of our tax return to pay off all cc debt and all I owe is my car payment!!! WE ARE STILL GOING IN DEC TO WDW! If I had extra $$$ laying around I would be buying all the stock everyone is selling off today! I treasue our trip to WDW and I would sacrafice a whole heck of lot to still go!

budbeerlady
Have a great trip! I am still secretly planning one. I dont know if we will make it or not. Dh is laid off so it has cut into our "Fun" money alot.

I think the recession thing gets so blown out of proportion. We in MI have been in a recession for a few years, most of us have made little changes. But since both of our jobs are soley focused in MI I dont think this will be largely impacting us. (Other than my savings earning less %.)

solfan68
We're going this summer. Finally paying off two big debts in April, then June. Not the mortgage, sadly. And the credit cards are still being worked on. But frankly, this is the carrot for many months of slugging away at two biggies. Here's hoping your trip is awesome for the entire family !

mickeyfan2
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM
In your case I would definitely go. Don't take what she says as any premonition. My Grandmother was dying for about 20 years.

We are going later this year to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We may downgrade it the need be, but will not cancel.

momof1princess
01-22-2008, 01:40 PM
nope, i just cancelled our april trip this morning. we're scaling WAAAY back and taking off to gatlinburg for a few days. i hope the money we save by doing this will go toward a trip next year.

DiznEeyore
01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
We're still planning on our end of November trip. :) Of course, if for some strange reason our financial situation changes, we'll cancel. We had to do that once before 3 years ago when we were concerned dh might get laid off (and he did), so it's definitely something we're more than willing to do if necessary. Just hoping it won't be necessary! :goodvibes

kfeuer
01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
We're kind of on the fence. My parents want to go back and have offered to pay for a condo for all of us for a week. We have leftover tickets, so no expense there. All it would really cost is gas money to drive down (which we could cover with credit card rewards, so $0) and food/souvies for the week. We did a trip like this last year and it ran us $800, but that included some fairly expensive meals. I think we could make it on $600 for a week, which I know I can raise without taking anything away from budget/savings (and we have no debt except mtge and a private loan, but we are trying to save up for a new car).

The problem is, DH won free airline tickets from his job and we were tossing around the idea of going to DL, and MIL wanted to go with us. However, upon pricing it out it looks like we'd spend more then $600 for just a few days at DL, and that's without the kids. Frankly, I'd rather go to DW for the week, but....

that leaves MIL, who would probably want to go with us to DW, but my parents and MIL are NOT a good mix. MIL drives my parents crazy, but my parents are polite enough to hide it so she doesn't realize it and I know she'll want to tag along. I don't know how we can back out of the DL trip and go to DW without inviting her, but I don't want to get caught in the middle of all that.

The other alternative is to go to DW with just MIL, but then we lose our paid lodging, and I really don't want to spend more then $600 for the week. DH and I are hoping we can still use the airline tickets next year (we just have to buy them by 12/31/08) to go somewhere, so this has to be a CHEAP vacation.

So sorry this turned into a novel, these thoughts have been swirling around in my head and they just all came out. If anyone has another option I haven't thought of though, I'd love to hear it!

Not so Dumbo
01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I think the recession thing gets so blown out of proportion. We in MI have been in a recession for a few years, most of us have made little changes. But since both of our jobs are soley focused in MI I dont think this will be largely impacting us. (Other than my savings earning less %.)

:teacher: So true.
We are also from MI. When we heard about the "recession" I was like, haven't we already been in a recession for the last 7 years. So the recent news was no biggie for us. In fact, I think the bigger deal the rest of the nation make of it the worse it will be.
That said. We bought annual passes this year, so we plan on getting our money's worth with multiple trips.

girli565
01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
We're still going. It's not exactly a budget trip but it is more frugal than normal. We bought the $125 4-day FL Resdient tix. But we splurged on Deluxe dining.

The problem is that it's our 4th anniversary this May and we want to take a quick relxing trip. Just don't know where. We booked a cruise (which I might cancel) but it's a bit expensive because it's in the summer (teacher here so summer's all I got).

I don't know. I won't cancel WDW but I may cancel the cruise.

Passions71203
01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, we are still going (Since our trip is paid for and is in 10 days) but our next vacation (2009) will not be quite as $$..

kimsuenew
01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
You betcha! :goodvibes Nothing is changing! We were lucky enough to bounceback with free DDP so that is helpful! We saved the money the in-laws gave us at Christmas, and I will work a 2nd part-time job all summer again to pay for it, and we will go!

extremesoccermom
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
We are still going. We just bought into DVC last year and need to use our points before Feb 09. So we are going with my parents in Oct. We have no debt except the house and although savings was tapped into this year we still feel we can cut back in a number of areas to make up for it.
We will also cut back on the extra things we usually do at Disney. I don't really need a TS meal everyday. Mom and Dad like them but I am the planner and have been able to come up with some compromises.

Nancyg56
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I think that we are going to go. I have a November trip planned and while the final decision is not in, DH has not said that he is opposed. He is our money manager and if he was worried he would not be letting our DGD discuss how she is going to save her money so that "she can bring him the WDW".

We have no CC debt and our finances are good. I would cancel if his company is impacted by the recession and we are not able to put enough away to remain comfortable.

ceecee
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes we are still going! And counting the months!! Just don't know if it will be June or September yet.
That is great that you are taking your grandma...what wonderful memories you'll have. Just keep cutting back here and there and you will have enough. Have a terrific time!:goodvibes

What are we doing?
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I know that I should stash the money in my savings that I am using towards our trip but can't bring myself to cancel.

Think of it as doing your part to keep the economy moving. The government is looking for ways to get people to spend money. You'd be doing your part if you made the trip.

Toby'sFriend
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
no Disney trip, but then --- we didn't have a trip planned before the recession either. I have a cruise booked for next fall and we're taking a trip to California this summer.

If tourism tanks the way it did in 2001/2002 and the prices for next fall go way down, I might consider booking a small trip.

Disneyoverload42
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I for one (just my OPINION) think the "recession" we are going into is completely caused by media hype. I will continue to live my life as MY economy dictates as I always have... there have been times when everyone else was thriving and we were cut back completely and times when everyone else was worried and we were great. Right now we are being tight and conservative, but that has to do with our debt level and wanting to be debt free and less with the overall economy (which if you ask me is the problem with the economy - people are overextended which is causing the slowdown, but you didn't ask so I'll shut up LOL)

So if we pay off our final two loans (not including our student loans and mortgage), yes we still plan on buying into the DVC - and going with cash.

branv
01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
We're still going in May for 3 nights at WDW and 4 nights on DCL -- 2/3's of the trip has already been paid for, and half of the 1/3 left is covered by a WDW/DCL gift card DH's mom sent us for xmas.

We're starting to get closer to the penalty phase of cancelling, and some of it is already nonrefundable (trip insurance, park tickets, gift card and $200 penalty to cancel airfare). But DH and I already decided that if he were to be laid off (like during the last recession), we would still go but scale back (cheaper hotel, counter service, etc.). Without considering unemployment payments, severance or 401K, we have about 3 months of living in our savings, so perhaps we would be stupid to still go, but as of right now that's our plan.

After years in the tech industry during all its ups and downs, with the threat of layoffs seeming to loom more often than not, we just finally learned that you can't put life on hold forever. You can be smart about it (i.e. don't go buy a second home ;) ), keep a budget, grow your savings, but if you live your life in perpetual limbo waiting for the axe to fall you just end up twitchy and miserable.

Ciciwoowoo
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Another Michigan person here! I agree with my fellow Michiganders (or gooses :rotfl: ) Its already been here for years so no reason to panic now!

My last Disney trip I paid cash for, and I am now saving up for a cruise in 2009 or 2010. I sometimes take on side jobs or get extra cash here and there, and I'm just stashing it in a cupboard. When trip time comes, I hope to pay for everything with cash and I will feel good about it!

As to the OP going with Grandma, I no longer have my grandparents, and I would pay every penny I have in this life and the next to be able to go to WDW with them one more time. Do not let a little thing like the media going beserk scare you into cancelling something this special!!! You can cut down a little, as you are doing, but trust me, the memories are worth their weight in gold.

DiznEeyore
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
:teacher: So true.
We are also from MI. When we heard about the "recession" I was like, haven't we already been in a recession for the last 7 years. So the recent news was no biggie for us. In fact, I think the bigger deal the rest of the nation make of it the worse it will be.

See, that's us, too. ::yes::

Living in Michigan, it's almost like we're used to the layoffs, price hikes, empty houses with foreclosure notices on windows (I swear there are more every time I drive through the neighborhood), etc. So maybe we're not as worried about the potential for a recession because it's not anything different than what we've been dealing with.

Also, on a personal front, when dh was laid off 3 years ago, he was in IT, and it was his third or fourth layoff since we'd been together. Now he teaches college, so we don't worry about layoffs like we did before. And our finances are better than they ever have been, thank God. We're still tight due to personal choices like having ds in private school, but it's not like we're living on the $24K that we survived on in 2005 when he got laid off! :scared1:

peightonmom
01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
We're not going. But that's only because we are taking an unexpected trip to california in February, and my Dad is paying for us to go to Disneyland.:woohoo:

Mickey'sfriend
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
We're still going!!! In very simple terms, a recession is a decrease in spending. I'm just doing my part to keep the economy going!!:cool1:

DisneyMissy318
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
We have a trip booked for December - still going - taking my parents! I got the "PIN CODE" and saved big $$ over the original quote we were working with... I was so excited to finally be chosen for "the code"!

That said - we have made a major sacrifice (although I don't consider it so!) My parents have a very nice - HUGE - house in a well established neighborhood - our house is more of a starter (we already have a buyer at a price that we are very comfortable with!). We are buying my parents home from them - they are gifting us the equity as our down payment!! They will still live there and we will split costs (the house is set up so you could use as a duplex with minor construction!) It's working out in favor of all of us and it's only three miles from where we currently live and DD won't change schools!

I'm actually looking at having some extra expendable income in the very near future - and DEFINITELY looking forward to having my parents experience DISNEY for the first time!

Chicago526
01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Recesions only affect people if they get laid off as a result. Inflation, now that could cause people to cut back or cancel vacations (Disney or otherwise).

We aren't traveling this year, but only because all our extra $$$ is going into making much needed improvements to our home (gutting and remodeling our upstairs bath-yes it's a need and not a want, trust me! and then also replacing our VERY old and on-it's-last-leg furnace and ac).

kandeebunny
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Quickie WDW trip in May, 2nd-5th. Then NYC May 19th-22nd (maybe 25th not sure yet) Then in August either Montreal or DC. September we have a week or 2 planned in WDW, as well as WDW for 3 or 4 days in December.

We WERE planning a trip to DL in April, but have cut that out, as well as a week trip to Vegas. So we have scaled back, but not much.

eliza61
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I know that I should stash the money in my savings that I am using towards our trip but can't bring myself to cancel. We invited my 83 yo grandmother to go with us this year, an early birthday present, she has never been and i think she is more excited than my dd's. This will be a memorable trip for her and DD's (spending time with her at the "happiest place on earth") and to me that is priceless. She visited us over the holidays and mentioned "when she leaves us" a few times. She NEVER talks like that. It kinda scared me. I heard that older people sort of know.

So, we are still going, using our tax refund. Just cutting back, only one character meal instead of 3. No hopping. No souvies. Looking for other ways to budget between now and April. I would be devastated if I cancelled and then something happened to her. Under ordinary circumstances, we would probably cancel and save the money.

Let me ask a couple of question. I'm assuming you guys have been planning this trip for a while. Do you need to pad your savings? Job stable? A lot of people are panicking because of this recession news. I would say if you planned to use your tax return and every thing else is ok, I would go as planned. My 401K is taking a hit :headache: but I'm in it for the long haul so I'm saving as normal and paying off my cc debt as normal.

bigbabyblues
01-22-2008, 05:41 PM
We're still going, in November. Assuming we can save up the money, but that's always, not new for this year.

branv
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Recesions only affect people if they get laid off as a result.

I wish that were only the case, but it's not.

Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring (too bad for people who are just entering the work force or in need of extra income), annual cost of living raises often get cut or decreased (really bad with inflation on the rise, but in general if the cost of living went up 5% one year, but you didn't get your annual 3%, now you're behind the curve that much more), those who rely on commissions, bonuses, profit-sharing find that those start disappearing. And during the last recession plenty of companies were making their employees take salary cuts across the board, or forcing vacation time even if you didn't have any time accrued. People like my father who had a business servicing companies phone/wiring needs found there was suddenly less work for him. Technically he was still employed...but making much, much less.

And as a result, not just companies, but their employees spend less. The less the consumer spends, the less companies x,y and z make (retail, travel, etc etc), who start buying less widgets from companies a, b & c, they cut back, and so on. It goes everywhere, from retail, to travel, to...well, you name it. It's a spiral that affects everyone.

Which is one of the biggest reasons why doing layoffs is extremely shortsighted from many, many standpoints. Save now, pay a LOT more later. But whatever makes stockholders happy in the short term I guess.

tiff211
01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Let me ask a couple of question. I'm assuming you guys have been planning this trip for a while. Do you need to pad your savings? Job stable? A lot of people are panicking because of this recession news. I would say if you planned to use your tax return and every thing else is ok, I would go as planned. My 401K is taking a hit :headache: but I'm in it for the long haul so I'm saving as normal and paying off my cc debt as normal.

We have just started putting money back into our savings. I think that is where the guilt comes in. We don't have the recommended amount but I am happy as a couple of years ago, we didn't even have savings. Only half the return will go toward the trip, the other half will go to savings.

I am pretty comfortable with my job. Of course nothing is guaranteed. But where I have worked, I have seen layoffs at the top or middle management. I am neither of that. DH is a teacher and there is a teacher shortage where we are so I am pretty sure he is safe as well. But you never know.

Disneyoverload42
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring
Agree and disagree - the major fortune 500 company I work at has been reducing spending consistantly for the last 10 years - no big change there. Downsizing is the ONLY thing constant where I work. They count the office supplies to make sure there is no waste - yet our execs still get their multi-million dollar bonuses every year :(

But DH is in the job market right now and got 8 calls in 2 hours the other day - now he has a in-demand skillset, however the companies who need him are willing to pay the regular going rate, so far only one small company couldn't afford his regular "this is Chicago" rate. I also think it is VERY regionalized. I foresee less layoffs in white collar industries and more "no-growth" ie through outsourcing, offshore etc.
Construction, manufacturing, service industry outside large cities, I agree will suffer.

sl_underwood
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
We are going! I also wont live my life in fear. My family deserves this vacation and we are taking it! That being said, we also have no debt, not even a mortgage, own our home, 2 cars, free and clear and have enough to live on for a a little more than a year if we needed it. So I feel pretty safe.

mercydisney
01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
We live 45min from Disney. We have SP, we are going less to DW. Gas is not getting any cheaper but the price of gas is. Disney use to offer great rates for Fl residents on their hotels,(we use to be able to stay for $49. at a value resort in a weekend). We are lucky to get a $89. rate, but then their are no rooms. Don't forget $10 parking or is it $11.:confused3

We love Disney and are very lucky to be able to go as often as we do. But in todays economy even living 45 mins from Disney is not that affordable.

DisneyMomJen
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I wish that were only the case, but it's not.

Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring (too bad for people who are just entering the work force or in need of extra income), annual cost of living raises often get cut or decreased (really bad with inflation on the rise, but in general if the cost of living went up 5% one year, but you didn't get your annual 3%, now you're behind the curve that much more), those who rely on commissions, bonuses, profit-sharing find that those start disappearing. And during the last recession plenty of companies were making their employees take salary cuts across the board, or forcing vacation time even if you didn't have any time accrued. People like my father who had a business servicing companies phone/wiring needs found there was suddenly less work for him. Technically he was still employed...but making much, much less.

And as a result, not just companies, but their employees spend less. The less the consumer spends, the less companies x,y and z make (retail, travel, etc etc), who start buying less widgets from companies a, b & c, they cut back, and so on. It goes everywhere, from retail, to travel, to...well, you name it. It's a spiral that affects everyone.

Which is one of the biggest reasons why doing layoffs is extremely shortsighted from many, many standpoints. Save now, pay a LOT more later. But whatever makes stockholders happy in the short term I guess.

I completely agree.

ameraumi
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I have enought sitting in the ING account now to pay off the June trip, so YES we will still be going! It took us 1.5 years to save up for this trip, so it will take something drastic for us to cancel now.

fostrmom2mny
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Just wondering? You think Disney will be offering some really nice discounts later in the off season?

Gerri

aspramn
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
As far as recession, if everyone stops spending it will make the economy worse. Ruff times are ahead, but I have been wanting a family trip for years and regaurdless of this big scare we are still going..."spending money helps boost the economy"

jmo

Beezle2
01-23-2008, 05:11 AM
We changed our dates from March 08 to Oct 08 but we are still going! Other changes included deciding to stay 7 days in a studio (DVC), not getting a car rental unless we get a great deal and cutting back on table service meals. We still will get the annual passes though, we want to go in March of 09 and hopefully one other trip on those passes.

alisa

flowerpower
01-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Yes, no matter what...

My mom has metastatic cancer and it is amazing she is here after 2 1/2 years. Disney is her favorite place to vacation and my daughter and I have been fortunate enough to experience 5 additional trips with her since her diagnosis. We are going again in August, God willing.

I certainly won't go overboard, but no amount of money is worth my mom's happiness...:love:

myAAbatteries&aTD
01-23-2008, 07:23 AM
We're also still going... we only go every other year and will still pay cash for everything so there won't be any debt incurred for us to go.... I pinch pennies in other areas so we can go and enjoy Disney! Now my much-longed-for DL trip in December is another story...... not sure if we'll be able to pull that one off....

tinkarooni
01-23-2008, 07:27 AM
No trip this year for us....but we didn't have one planned either. We were there for a very big...very pricey trip in February 2007 with family (14 of us). So we have planned another trip for October or December 2009. We are saving for it. As long as we have the cash saved we will probably go unless one of us loses our job....I do however have a small car trip planned over the summer and am thinking about cancelling that....just to get the emergency savings padded some more.....I know this is all a lot of media hype but it does get you thinking.

Good Luck!

java
01-23-2008, 07:30 AM
We are going. We had a trip planned and had saved for it. So we are going.
I would argue that several industries have been in recession for a while now. For us, plan accordingly and live your life.

SandraVB79
01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
OP, I would go, this will be a "memory-trip", you will regret later if you don't go.
However, I would make it a budget trip (no idea what you have planned though, it might even be more budget!): staying at a value hotel, no signature dining, ...
It's not the hotel or the more expensive food that makes a good Disney vacation or makes the magic. The magic is what WE make from it, the memories you'll have when you come back.
Having memories from your grandmother having a good time at WDW will be very important for you later on, and it won't matter whether it was at the Poly, Pop or offsite!

dvcgirl
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
We have just started putting money back into our savings. I think that is where the guilt comes in. We don't have the recommended amount but I am happy as a couple of years ago, we didn't even have savings. Only half the return will go toward the trip, the other half will go to savings.

I am pretty comfortable with my job. Of course nothing is guaranteed. But where I have worked, I have seen layoffs at the top or middle management. I am neither of that. DH is a teacher and there is a teacher shortage where we are so I am pretty sure he is safe as well. But you never know.

I think that everyone has a different level of tolerance for risk in times like we have now. It sounds like you have at least started your savings, which I take to mean an emergency fund. Even if you take the trip, keep working on building that up to 6 months of expenses. You have one job in your family that sounds "recession proof". If your level of consumer debt is low, I'd probably go.

I read threads here all of the time where people are taking trips despite having CC debt, no retirement savings and unless they lose their jobs, a recession isn't likely to change that. Those folks will always tell you to "Go!! Life is too short!!" ;). Then you have people like me who tend to batten down the hatches and play things more conservatively.

We have no plans for Disney this year, but we did have plans for Italy. Even though we have no debt, substantial retirement savings and a very solid emergency fund we won't take that trip. We have an elderly dog who is having lots of problems. In light of the economy we decided to dip into our vacation fund and not our emergency fund to care for him. DH was laid off in 2003 after the dot.com bust. That was a full year and a half after the recession was over. So from my experience, these things take awhile to to trickle down to us common folk ;). This is not the time to raid the emergency fund if you can avoid it.

We're fiscal conservatives, and so we've decided to cut back our discretionary spending by half, pad the emergency fund even further, and if our dog's health stabilizes, we'll take a week long vacation somewhere in the US where our dollar will go much further than it will in Europe.

mom2twinz3
01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
nope, i just cancelled our april trip this morning. we're scaling WAAAY back and taking off to gatlinburg for a few days. i hope the money we save by doing this will go toward a trip next year.

That is what we are doing too. I can do Gatlinburg and Dollywood for much cheaper than DW. We just went to DW in May of 2007, so we're good with that.

Dh has a very secure job but food costs have gone way up, so we're scaling back too.

I will likely not go to Orlando again until Harry Potter is up and running at IOA. That will give me time to save and pre-pay what I can.

NMW
01-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I think a lot of the coming recession is media hype. Of course there are always industries that suffer from time to time. Remember a few years ago when all you heard on the news is how in trouble airlines where? It was predicted that is would soon be too expensive to fly, airlines would go under, etc. Well, the airline tickets we bought for our May trip are almost exactly what we paid in 2003. :confused3 I don't get it.

Now all you hear on the news is the subprime mortgage people causing the mortgage industry to be in trouble. I'm sure that industry will come out fine also.

As far as a recession, I know 1 person that got laid off this year. An engineer. He got another job in 2-3 weeks. I don't know anyone else with problems, or anyone that is worried. I honestly think a lot of it is hype for the election year. Just my opinion. :goodvibes I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, and that's okay.

heartsy77
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I think a lot of the coming recession is media hype. Of course there are always industries that suffer from time to time. Remember a few years ago when all you heard on the news is how in trouble airlines where? It was predicted that is would soon be too expensive to fly, airlines would go under, etc. Well, the airline tickets we bought for our May trip are almost exactly what we paid in 2003. :confused3 I don't get it.

Now all you hear on the news is the subprime mortgage people causing the mortgage industry to be in trouble. I'm sure that industry will come out fine also.

As far as a recession, I know 1 person that got laid off this year. An engineer. He got another job in 2-3 weeks. I don't know anyone else with problems, or anyone that is worried. I honestly think a lot of it is hype for the election year. Just my opinion. :goodvibes I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, and that's okay.

I could not agree with you more, IMHO the housing market crash is its own undoing. The sub prime mortgage mess has no one to blame but the companies that financed the loans; they gave huge mortgages to people they new darn well couldn't afford huge houses or huge mortgage payments and they wonder why people are defaulting?:confused3 I think everyone has to take a "chill pill" and calm down. The media also needs to stop the recession watch every day! It is only making people nervous and keeps them from spending money which is the real source of the slow down in the economy! Ok I am off my soap box now! :rolleyes1

mercydisney
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Just wondering? You think Disney will be offering some really nice discounts later in the off season?

Gerri

THAT WOULD BE GREAT!:worship: !!

HeyIt'sMe
01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes, we are going. 2008 is our "on year" for Disney. :thumbsup2

We are going in October and everything will be paid for in cash so we won't be incurring any debt. Every payday we put money in a special vacation savings account. We have 1/2 of the cost of the package and money for airfare covered already.

mamalle
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Nope. Its too darn expensive for us to justify spending that kind of money and we are fla residents! I think Fla is going to take a big hit with tourism and a recession.

snomofinn
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
:cool1: Definetly going, just booked out trip this morning. Although Iam a bit upset at the $1,000.00 increase from last years trip :scared1: But, we had to go, we love it so much. :banana:

David 1980
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
WE were going in June and the 5 thousand I would have to spend was just to much. I am still upset that Disney has raised prices on everything from food to locker fees? WE went last year and we are going to Dollywood in June it is not WDW but it will be much easier on my wallet and mind.

comicguy
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
We are planning a trip for late Aug. We are hoping that they offer a free dining package for that time frame(doubtful, but you never know) Anyway, if no free dining then will either pay OOP for the dining plan or do a split stay 6 days w/ dining and 6/wo

As far as a resession, there is some writing on the wall but that can be erased with some work. Now if the media will let things cool down a bit, I really feel that things will work out fine. Yes some people will be laid off but remember layoffs happen everyday and that most find another job in a short amount of time(1 month or less) according to statistics.

Kahana-ri
01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Go for us - you know we will have to live vicariously through your family. Have fun, your grandmother would love the experience.

leahjade
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I, too, believe that much of the so-called recession is just media hype as well - bad news sells many more newpapers and tv commercials! The 2007 holiday shopping season was right on target and spoken from a realtor friend "much of the mortage crisis has been brought on by people who are buying way more expensive houses than they can afford and having to foreclose when their adjustable rates rise."
Beside if everyone stops spending and stops traveling, that will only add to any recession. When people no longer buy stocks, it causes the stock market to crash! So I'm doing my part and spending some of our hard-earned money going to WDW. I will help this economy, Disney dollar by Disney dollar!

HayGan
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, my DH is in the mortgage busines (and has been for 15+ years) and he would disgree completely with you on this statement. He can't even begin to count the number of lenders that have closed over the past year. Lenders are tightening their standards and the number of people with the available equity and credit score to purchase or refinance is almost nil. It is a very volatile industry. For instance, after the rate drop by the Fed the other day, lenders were sending out new rate sheets hourly and they weren't for the good. His outlook on the mortgage industry is not positive at all and is seriously considering a career change.

I am thankful that I have a career in a industry that is based more on global trends and development rather than domestic events. While I am not all doom and gloom, I know that there will be plenty of people in a world of trouble over the next few years (some - if not most - of it do to their own financial irresponsibility.)

Tnkrbelle565
01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
We sure are. What a better way to deal with the depression of a recession by going to the Happiest Place on Earth?!?!? :rotfl: J/K. We actually take a different view of vacation. DH and I work opposite shifts. We barely see each other during the week. We work long hours in high stress jobs. DD spends 9 hours a day at day care. We look at our vacations as rare "family time" Yes, it's sad that it takes a vacation for us to spend quality time together but that's the reality of our lives. So things would have to get pretty bad for me to give up the one thing I look forward to all year.