PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for inexpensive portable car DVD player?

Benducci
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
We will be driving & then taking the Autotrain to Disney:cool1: in April. I would like to get a decent but not expensive portable car dvd player. I figure it will entertain the kids!
Can anyone recommend one?:thumbsup2 Or not recommend one? :worship: Thanks!

Minniemouse07
01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
From a safety standpoint you want to look for one that is specifically designed for a car and will attach using clips (usually straps go around the headrest and clip to themselves), NOT VELCRO, so the unit will not go flying around your car in the case of a crash situation.

We have one that dh picked up from Walmart on sale for less than $100. It is a dual screen version so dd (who is forward facing) and ds (who is rear facing) could both watch at the same time.

Hope that helps somewhat?

Benducci
01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Thank you!

The Disney Bunch
01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
anyone else? Thanks!

heartsy77
01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
When we rode the Auto Train we asked to be seated by an outlet and brought our laptop with a DVD player already in it. They had no problem seating us near an outlet both ways!:goodvibes

rcraw45425
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I'd advise avoiding Polaroid brand. I bought a second portable unit (Polaroid) for older DD to take on a band trip last April, I hate the dang thing! Apparently it has issues with certain DVDs, it'll read "bad disc" for no reason. Our old Durabrand one from WalMart will read the disc just fine. Naturally it falls outside of Target's return period so I'm stuck.

StephMK
01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Whatever one you buy, make sure to try it out before you leave! I bought one last summer to replace ours that died & one screen didn't work after 3 minutes. Glad I was still in our family room!

We ended up returning that one & went w/Audiovox dual screen from Target. It was $150 but I saw them in an ad this week for $129. They made it through a 5 week road trip with lots of use and still going.

PatMcDuck
01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I advise against Audiovox (went thru 2 this year) and Sony (I was shocked it lasted a month!) Right now we have a Toshiba, so far so good.

I buy the extended warranties on these items......... it is usually inexpensive but worth it. (my Audiovox's were from Costco, no need for a warranty)

We use portable DVD player in the hospital alot. (daughter has been ill the past year). They are SO useful.

npmommie
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
We had a Polaroid which did not last very long, not good.
we then got a Durabrand at walmart for less than $100 and so far no problems.

and i feel stupid, I am usually so safety conscious, i never clip the dvd player it just sits on the arm rest between the 2 front seats, and both kids can see it in the back:guilty:
it would be a missile....... i have to look into the clips. thanks!