PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know, is this for real?

douglisa
01-22-2008, 08:29 AM
the
Travel Industry Secrets Manual?

brentalex
01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I certainly would not pay any money for whatever it is they are trying to sell.

Cheshire Figment
01-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Rip-Off

4Seasons
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
This is what's known in the industry as a "card mill". It's a complete and total ripoff.
For the most part you won't get these huge, incredible discounts even if you are a bonafide travel agent, because suppliers have gotten fed up with being abused with people from these "card mills".

YTB is one of the most publicized offenders, and many suppliers (such as Royal Caribbean) have cut them off completely.

Many others already have or are instituting sales and/or educational requirements to qualify for any reduced-rate benefits. Most FAMS are by invitation only thru the suppliers, are usually only for off-season timeframes and are very limited. Recently Carnival Cruise Lines instituted a new policy where an agent must have a minimum of 5 cabins sold per year in order to qualify for a reduced agent rate, and many times their agent rates aren't all that great to begin with.

In order to qualify for any type of reduced rate air you must have an IATAN card, which you can ONLY get by producing at least $5000 in verifiable commissions within a 12 month period.

If anyone was able to pay a small fee, get a card and get 75% off any of their travel needs, the suppliers in the travel industry would end up going out of business. It just doesn't work like that, and it's a total scam.

accruise
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a scam to me. As an agency owner, I do not get any published at at ANY sort of discount. I have been to tour operators programs where we attend classes every day......and this trip is discounted. But the have us busy learning "latest" from morning till night.
Bet they would like you all to pay and not get any of the promised.
We work hard for our money. We charge no service fee for all of our work other then air only. The only monies we receive is from the tour operator we us.
PM me if you have any further question!
Audrey

CarolA
01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Read this! Learn from her errors

http://www.frommers.com/blog/labels/scams.html

and this

http://www.frommers.com/blog/2007/12/royal-caribbean-cruises-sends-warning.html
I guesss if you want to only cruise on Carnival this might be good, but most reputable places are not giving you a discount because you wasted $500!

isyt
01-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Total Rip OFF!!!

I have been in the travel industry for 20 years and this is a waste. Places don't discount like that any more. There are alot of untruths in that sales pitch and that is what it is SALES!! They want your $40 !! Like previous posters have said most agencies you must have $5000 in commission to get your IATA card.

douglisa
01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I was hoping I wuold get some professional opinions and I got some very detailed answers that helped me understand better. Thank you so much!
I recieved an email from a DIS member that asked if I would remove the question because it could cause some upset w/ the scammers. So I will remove the content but still leave some info, w/out specifying who the company is. Thanks, Lisa