PDA

View Full Version : I need advice to save $$ and I have a few tips to share.

douglisa
01-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Any money saving tips would be welcome. I have a good one I found on another website.....Everyone knows how expensive drinks can be and what w/ the airline regulations concerning terrorism it is difficult to carry liquids. Take a bus to downtown Disney/west side. Across the street is a Hess gas station to get snacks and pop.
More.....
@ the Orlando airport as you are on your way to the baggage claim area, just before the escalator a person will be standing there handing out "See Orlando" books that contain coupons.

Mcdonalds has free drink refills.

When checking in ask if the hotel is crowded. If no then ask for a complimentary room upgrade.

Taking a Disney Vacation Club tour and listening to their spiel will get you $100 Disney dollars or $$ off on your stay. (not sure how current this tip is)

Wake up calls are made by Disney charachters so make sure you let your child answer so the will feel special.

If you need to take a taxi out of Disney ask the front desk for vouchers to cover your fare and tip for both ways.

I have been doing a lot of research trying to find savings and am not sure how accurate these tips are. If you know let me know if I am wrong on any. I do not want to waste my time if that is the case.
Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

mannasn
01-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Back in '06 when we did the DVC tour, we got a $50 Disney card. Haven't been back since then so I'm not sure what they're doing now.

laurabelle
01-22-2008, 06:38 AM
If you need to take a taxi out of Disney ask the front desk for vouchers to cover your fare and tip for both ways.

I've never heard of this one...

Heluvsme
01-22-2008, 08:23 AM
While in the parks, a cup of ice water is free at the counter service restaurants. (No, it's not large, but it cold and wet, and it's free!)

Bring in your own snacks....stuff that won't melt or get crushed. We like to baggie our own trail mix, it's a great energy boost and it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Set a daily allowance for extra spending money, then take only that day's envelope into the park with you. This past summer, we allowed our daughter only $25 a day for extra spending money---we were there 10 days, she had 10 envelopes----each day, one of the envelopes was taken into the park. If she knew she might want to spend more, she could get into a different envelope, but then that day's would be short. She chose this option when we went to MK, she wanted extra money that day, she chose to take $50, and then didn't mind not taking any money into MGM). This kept spending in check! Well, it would have done better if my dh wasn't such a softie and ended up buying stuff for her anyways....but you can see where in theory this would work! LOL!! :lmao:

A box of Entenmann's doughnuts (pre priced with the price stamped on the box) is $3.79 at most of the shops at the resorts. A box of doughnuts will last several days for breakfast, at a very minimal cost! Eat in your room, get to the parks sooner, save money!! Oatmeal works well too, use the coffee maker in your room for the hot water (or a microwave if you have one), cheap, easy, fast, and gives lots of energy for a full day in the park!

Many counter service meals are HUGE and two people can easily share one meal!

When we want a snack, Figaro Fries at Pinocchio's is great for sharing!! They're big, plenty for two, and on the DDP!!

Bring your own sunscreen, pain reliever, sunglasses, batteries, etc from home. They are so expensive at the parks and the resorts!!

Lots of free activities in the resorts....the campfire/movie and smores at Ft. Wilderness (is it Ft. Wilderness? I think it is)....walk the pier at Boardwalk....just spending time at each resort is free and fun!!

budbeerlady
01-22-2008, 08:36 AM
We pack Pop Tarts, granola bars, fruit snacks in our bag. They work great for snacks and breakfast before the park. The extra room on the way home we use for souvies. (And fruit snacks revive dd if she is antsy in a long line, we are on vacation so if she has 2 packs of fruit snacks a day thats alright with me)

douglisa
01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Another DIS member was nice enough to let me know the facts. So here is what she told me.

Across the street is a Hess gas station to get snacks and pop.
Some people do this but I found that ordering groceries from gardengrocer.com was much easier and the groceries were at the hotel when we arrived
More.....
@ the Orlando airport as you are on your way to the baggage claim area, just before the escalator a person will be standing there handing out "See Orlando" books that contain coupons.These are going to be for Orlando area, not disney world so you would need to have a car to use them

Mcdonalds has free drink refills.

When checking in ask if the hotel is crowded. If no then ask for a complimentary room upgrade. Doesn't hurt to ask but most people will tell you that they have received room upgrades as a random surprise

Taking a Disney Vacation Club tour and listening to their spiel will get you $100 Disney dollars or $$ off on your stay. (not sure how current this tip is)Now they give you fastpasses and ice cream usually

Wake up calls are made by Disney charachters so make sure you let your child answer so the will feel special.

If you need to take a taxi out of Disney ask the front desk for vouchers to cover your fare and tip for both ways. I've only heard of this for medical emergencies and even that was rare

aka-mad4themouse
01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Good tips but I'm finding this one a little hard to believe, since Disney is highly motivated to keep you on their property. I'm not sure why they would offer to pay your cab fare to go spend your money elsewhere unless it was a medical necessity. Can anyone confirm this tip?

extremesoccermom
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
We always bring granola bars, chips, poptarts, cheese crackers, fruit snacks, apples, cereal, bags of nuts, case of water with us. We also love microwave popcorn. Every resort at disney has a microwave in the food court and you can use it for a quick snack. We also bring a number of square and the new pop out bowls that are great to keep things from getting crushed and to use as cereal bowls and to go containers that are easier to carry than the styrofoam clam shell ones.
DD is a grazer and will eat a little bit all day long.

stahshee
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Here are my tips
start filling out for all sorts of free stuff from the freebee thread.
I usually go every year and I collect so much free stuff to bring with me

Examples of stuff that I have NOT PURCHASED in over a YEAR
Deodorant razors, maxi pads, tampons antacids.:cloud9:

ceecee
01-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Good tips but I'm finding this one a little hard to believe, since Disney is highly motivated to keep you on their property. I'm not sure why they would offer to pay your cab fare to go spend your money elsewhere unless it was a medical necessity. Can anyone confirm this tip?

I find that very hard to believe!

Disneyoverload42
01-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't confirm Disney, however I can say that this is true at Universal. I won't go into the long story (involving lots of tears and nearly getting divorced) but I was stranded at Universal parks with two kids and a CM offered me a taxi voucher to get back to my hotel (in DTD) because I had no money and no way back. My guess is that Disney probably has a limited number of vouchers they can use in the same way for extreme circumstances.

DawnM
01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, we find it much cheaper to not fly and stay off property all together.

This past trip we spent $100 each way driving, $26/night for a two bedroom condo through skyauction, budgeted $50/day for food for eating out and used our $300 Disney rewards card for that, so it was really $0 out of pocket for eating out at Disney, and ate the rest at the condo.

Tickets were $141 per person for a 5 day hopper and 4 vouchers to DisneyQuest and/or Typhoon Lagoon.

Dawn

Mickdeb
01-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I find that very hard to believe!
I totally agree.

Definately not true. We were at WL in Aug.07 and we needed to get DD to the emergency room of Arnold Palmer's Children Hospital. It was 3:00AM and I went to the front desk, and said I needed transportation to the hospital, she said, "Well you can take a cab". So we did.
Cab fare was $120.00 roundtrip. :scared:

Believe me there was no offer of a shuttle van, voucher or anything. I almost thought she was going to make me call the cab co. myself:confused3

camdensmom
01-22-2008, 11:54 AM
From what I read when I was there in December, the DVC tour will get you a free ice cream and that's it. Not worth wasting precious vacation time...well, unless you really like ice cream ;)

LanaJae
01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I have to second the cab thing - if you think you will need a car for anything at all, rent one and leave it parked at the hotel, Orlando has the best prices in the country. For usually less than $100 for most trips, it will pay for itself in one trip to a pharmacy, grocery store, ER, etc.

We brought lots of packets of Capri-Sun and Koolaid to mix with ice water in the parks. We were on the dining plan so when we ordered our quick service meal, we asked for 4 additional ice waters at that time (because of lines) and then mixed up drinks in our refillable mugs from the resort.

PatriciaH
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I totally agree.

Definately not true. We were at WL in Aug.07 and we needed to get DD to the emergency room of Arnold Palmer's Children Hospital. It was 3:00AM and I went to the front desk, and said I needed transportation to the hospital, she said, "Well you can take a cab". So we did.

Believe me there was no offer of a shuttle van, voucher or anything. I almost thought she was going to make me call the cab co. myself:confused3

That is disgusting. :sad1: My DH has even driven people to the Celebration hospital from the Contemporary. They have shuttle vans at the hotels for this. You also used to be able to get a shuttle van ride to Hess/AAA near the MK, spas and the golf courses if you were using any of them.

douglisa
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, we find it much cheaper to not fly and stay off property all together.

This past trip we spent $100 each way driving, $26/night for a two bedroom condo through skyauction, budgeted $50/day for food for eating out and used our $300 Disney rewards card for that, so it was really $0 out of pocket for eating out at Disney, and ate the rest at the condo.

Tickets were $141 per person for a 5 day hopper and 4 vouchers to DisneyQuest and/or Typhoon Lagoon.

Dawn

I wiss we could drive, but coming from Iowa would take too many days off our vacation time and would also be expensive.:sad2:

douglisa
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
If you read the whole thread you will see that I updated about my tips I had found. Another person had let me know the truths about these "tips" I had found on other sites. Lisa

problemchild718
01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I totally agree.

What about calling 911? Even if you received an ambulance bill, wouldn't your emergency co pay have been less than $120.00-and BTW Disney HATES there to be any sort of unpleasantness at WDW if the CM thought you were calling an ambulance, I bet he/she would have handled it differently.

kileybeth
01-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, my DS2 had to be rushed to ER from MK and Disney bent over backwards trying to accomadate us. I never saw the ambulance bill, they offered to take our kids back to the hotel (off site even), drive my DH to hospital after he dropped off our older kids, gave my kids assistance and offers of food, ice cream in the middle of all the confusion, and kept a CM with us until we were loaded into the ambulance.

Having recently returned from the POLY I had an unexpected monthly "friend" pay me a visit and was not prepared! Gift shop attendant offerd to bring what I needed to the room, no charge! Wasn't necessary but I felt better just knowing they offered to do such a thing!

I somehow get the feeling if they thought you absolutely needed to leave "The World" for an emergency they would try to help in any way they could. :confused3