PDA

View Full Version : Baby Makes 8!! What to drive??

TNKBELL
01-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone!! I really need some budget friendly suggestions on what kind of vehicles are out there that can seat 8. I don't want to buy anything new. This was quite a little surprise and changes our plans in regards to our vehicle situation. Currently we have a Nissan Quest which seats 7 and it is a 96 and paid off, Dh's car just bit the dust and we were planning on replacing that with a cheap car to just get him back and forth to work. But now we will give Dh the van and look for a vehicle for 8. I know I saw a thread about vehicles that seat 8 somewhere but I couldn't find it when I did a search and most of the vehicles listed were new. As far as how much we can spend, we can have about 6000.00 saved up and possibly afford a small car payment on top of that. Now, I sincerly hope it's not twins!!!:scared1:

Thanks so much!!:cutie:

Mouse House Mama
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
It depends how many of yours need to be in carseats. Our Honda minivan seats 8 but with 4 carseats in it there is no place for another one and if you are an adult sitting btween the carseats your butt has to be the size of a grapefruit to fit comfortably. We love this van though. I think you might need a real van- not a mini. Congrats!!!! There is nothing like a baby.:cloud9:

Aleebama
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
We have a Nissan Armada which seats 8. Any of the larger SUV's with a bench seat in the middle should. Now MPG on an Armada vs. a Quest may take a little getting used to! Have you thought about a used Armada, Suburban or and Expedition for when the WHOLE family travels together? You should be able to find something affordable since the say the auto market is going to be "soft" in 2008. Hopefully?:confused3
Congratulations!

PS...I agree with the above poster about the grapefruit butt in the above mentioned vehicles. Sounds like some major test driving (sitting) is in order!!!!!!

aka-mad4themouse
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure if this thread will help but here's one:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1680878

And
Congratulations
on your new addition!

BellePrincessBelle
01-22-2008, 06:29 AM
1st off congrats. We were surprised with twins scheduled to arrive in 5 weeks so we(my dh in a panic) bought an Escalade not budget friendly but a Suburban used can be. It is wonderful. So much space. Other than that I'd say an Odyssey or Sienna.

StitchandPooh'sMom
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Some of the Toyota Siennas seat 8 (I think the LE and CE models), and the middle seat in the second row slides forward so you can better reach your infant while you are driving. The Sienna was redesigned in 2004 and is basically still the same model today. I don't know if the earlier versions sat 8, though. Edmunds lists the dealer asking price for a 2004 CE as about $14,000.

I have had a 1999, 2004 and now a 2008 Sienna. I have loved them all!

Congratulations!

Hoogy
01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
We had a Chevy Venture (it was a 2002 and the Pontiac Montana should be the same) that seated 8....3 bucket seats in the middle row (all individually removable) and a bench in the far back. It was great and I miss it! Gotta love SURPRISES! Congrats!:goodvibes

Jenna45
01-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I have an 02 Expedetion EXT it seats 8. The value on it is nada compared to what I paid, but it is a solid car, I agree with the other posters that you will probably need an SUV and a larger model at that, but with todays gas prices the prices are generally lower on them :thumbsup2

My dad owns several used car dealerships and says most people are trading down, this should work to your advantage :thumbsup2

Congrats on your new baby or babies , you will have your own basketball team soon :goodvibes

Good Luck :love:

Jennifer823
01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I agree that you will probably need a regular van - it would probably be less expensive than a Suburban or something similar, and you'll have plenty of space. I grew up in a family of 7, and we frequently had other kids my mom had to taxi around also - we had a 12 passenger van. My parents bought it used.

Even if you buy a vehicle with a capacity for 8 - you will have NO ROOM if you go on a car trip. We're at that situation now ourselves - family of 6 with a 2001 Dodge Durango (seating for 7) but there is no room for anything else if we go anywhere together.

pyrxtc
01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
I vote for the Chevy venture too. i ahve the 8 passenger and it works great for me. I ahve had 4 booster seats and a car seat in there and also fit my DD wiht no problems. (All in the back seats) I love the removable seats and the fold-down back seat for storage. The gas mileage on them is pretty good and I have had no problems wiht mine yet. I have an "04".

grlpwrd
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I agree that you will probably need a regular van - it would probably be less expensive than a Suburban or something similar, and you'll have plenty of space. I grew up in a family of 7, and we frequently had other kids my mom had to taxi around also - we had a 12 passenger van. My parents bought it used.

Even if you buy a vehicle with a capacity for 8 - you will have NO ROOM if you go on a car trip. We're at that situation now ourselves - family of 6 with a 2001 Dodge Durango (seating for 7) but there is no room for anything else if we go anywhere together.

This is us to a T. Family of 7 who wanted lots of room for just us, our kid's friends, and room for our road trip stuff. We bought a full sized van off of ebay of all places. (lol)

A SUV with room for 8 still felt like a sardine can for us. :laughing: Kids carseats do take up space, plus they grow and then have friends. Not comfy on road trips either - even with a cartop carrier it was little space to put our stuff. (We had a Chevy Astro van prior which fit 8, but have since taken it back to the Seattle area to store at our rental home for our use because we go back often.)

I also use my full sized van for my homebased businesses. I also have an older cargo van which I use to haul stuff (plus it has a double tank) or as an extra car and we also have a Landcruiser which my dh drives.

Congrats, TNKBELL! I would have another one right now if I could, but I am too busy with attending school part time, my businesses, the kids, and trying to afford living right now. (lol)Take care!

chris1gill
01-22-2008, 08:58 AM
We have a Chevy Venture that seats 8, it has the optional middle seat in the middle row... we love the vehicle.... it's book value isn't that high anymore, I think it's 5 years old...

NMW
01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Another vote for the 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. Regular vans and really large SUV's are killers to fill up with gas. My Toyota Sienna gets awesome gas mileage and 8 fit very comfortably.

stm61
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
we have an '04 Expedition, 3 bench seats, it seats 9. We've done 2 car seats/booster seats on each of the 2 rear seats, and a 3rd child in the other seat. It has shoulder/lap belts on all but the front middle seat. Before this we had a minivan. Much more leg room in the Expedition, but we gave up the behind-the-last-seat storage area. It works for us because 2 of my kids are teens, so one can jump in front if dh isn't with us. The gas mileage is not so good, but the extra space and less fighting makes it worth it for us.

TNKBELL
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much for all your suggestions, Dh and I are just both so overwhelmed and didn't even know what to start looking at!! Thanks also for the link to other thread..that was the one I was looking for!!!:thumbsup2

:cheer2: You are all great!!!:cheer2:

DawnM
01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
We have a Sequioa that seats 8. I think most vans can be ordered in an 8 passenger model, even if the ones on the showroom floor only seat 7. That is what we were told when we were considering vans.

I know you aren't looking for new though. We did buy our Sequoia new, but we plan to drive it into the ground, so it will be a good deal in the long run. We bought a 3 year old van many years ago and the thing gave us nothing buy problems. We decided we wanted to be the only drivers and really know what kind of maintainance the thing had had.

Dawn

kimmikayb
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
How about something like this:

http://idm.carsoup.com/used/detail.asp?usedVehicleID=4351601&XDealerID=1038&MakeID=14&searchID=1947619&vehicleTypeID=15&UVViewID=4&Page=1&DealerGroupID=

Congratulations!!

TNKBELL
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
How about something like this:

http://idm.carsoup.com/used/detail.asp?usedVehicleID=4351601&XDealerID=1038&MakeID=14&searchID=1947619&vehicleTypeID=15&UVViewID=4&Page=1&DealerGroupID=

Congratulations!!

Cool! Thanks!!:cheer2:

bellebuzzandpooh
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I have no car advice, but Congratulations!!!

Anne34
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
If I were to recommend something I would say a Suburban. We have one that seats 8 people. There are two rows for 3 and 2 seats in the front. Not only are the seats wide enough for a couple car seats, but there is plenty of storage room in the back for strollers, groceries, etc. I find mini vans too small -- once you get all the people in, there's no room for anything else!!!

We get 14 city and 17/18 highway in our Suburban -- not too much different from some minivans. Try looking at used ones -- its probably the best deal. It is a well built car -- mine has 99, 200 miles on it and is a 2002. The only thing we have had to replace is the fuel pump and that was only 300 miles ago!! Never had a problem with either suburban we've had.

mom0299
01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I have a Honda Pilot and I absolutely love it. It seats 8, but with car seats it would be a tight squeeze.

kileybeth
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Congratulations!

As a Mom of 6 (2 in their 20's, 2 teen and 2 toddlers) I feel your car pain. I have been driving minivans for 20 plus years now. But that is b/c all 6 of mine have never been "at home" at once.

I just don't believe you will find a mini van you will fit comfortably in. I hear good things about a Toyota Sienna, except the price that is (including resale). The Chevy Venture is no longer rolling off the line but my sister has an 8 seater and unless none of your children have legs. . .not so much room! I drive the newer Chevy Uplander which is what replaced the Venture. but alas no 8th seat although good room in back.

Now that said about minivans. I am so sorry, but I will not be caught dead in one of those 1970 looking full size vans. No way, no how, not ever. ugh. this is of course personal preference. BUT the gas milage is horrendous as well. Even the large 4x4's do better most of time!

I will echo in on the larger SUV's. Now is a great time to buy one used! My nephew bought an older style Suburban and loves it (he has triplets with legs!) He drove us to airport with 7 of us and we had room to spare. The cargo room and overall width of these SUV's is impresive to say the least. 2 Britax carseats (monster size!), 2 teenagers and 2 strollers and luggage for a week for 6.

yes, more in your gas budget is in the very near future but I know with your budgeting finess you can do it! And you have time to look for a good deal.

My preference? The Suburban,Yukon XL, or an Expedition. All more reasonably priced than a lot of the mega sized SUV's.

Happy Trails. oh and you will be all set for that Disney drive next time around!

Let us know what you end up finding!

TheRatPack
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Next one we get will be a Suburban with 3 bench seats (seats 9). There are currently 7 of us and we have a Suburban with 2 bucket seats in the front and 2 benches in the back, but with 2 VERY LARGE REGENT carseats in the back...it's not going to seat 3 back there.

Congrats too! We're praying for another one soon....well I am LOL

Plantlady
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Congratulations!

I wonder what Jon and Kate plus 8 drive...

no ideas on a car.. just a congrats to you!

ZPT1022
01-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I would think about something that fits larger than eight, just in case you were to find yourself with another unexpected surprise. Not to be rude but with 6 children, obviously you're doing something right ;) so the odds are decent that you could have another one (or if this one is twins :eek: ) and you could find yourselves in the position of needing an even larger vehicle even sooner than expected. Good luck with your choice, the vehicles out there for big families aren't exactly my favorite. I'm waiting for a good looking gas/electric hybrid that seats 10 :thumbsup2 ( I don't have that many kids (yet?!?) but I do watch my cousin's kids too so we are soon to be six kids Mon-Fri around here)

goinback
01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I know a lady who has , I think, 7 children. This is going to sound very odd, but she drives a limo. I kid you not. A mutual friend told me that this lady researched 15 passenger vans and suvs and did not like the saftey ratings so...they bought a limo! It is kinda strange to see them pull up to soccer practice in a limo, and I am sure it makes parking ANYWHERE a little more difficult. But hey! She found what works for them! Cogratulations on the new little one!!! How blessed you are!

TNKBELL
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I know a lady who has , I think, 7 children. This is going to sound very odd, but she drives a limo. I kid you not. A mutual friend told me that this lady researched 15 passenger vans and suvs and did not like the saftey ratings so...they bought a limo! It is kinda strange to see them pull up to soccer practice in a limo, and I am sure it makes parking ANYWHERE a little more difficult. But hey! She found what works for them! Cogratulations on the new little one!!! How blessed you are!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I could just see us now, pullin' into the Goodwill!!!
Seriously though, it does concern me about the safety ratings on the 15 passenger vans. I never thought about a limo!

Callie
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Our van is a Pontiac Montana and it seats 8.

Karenj2
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow... I just want to say congrats to you! I know it's unexpected, but after trying for 10 years without success to have kids, I'm excited (and a bit jealous) of anyone who can have kids that "easily". That being said, I'm sure you have a whole different set of worries (i.e., the van).

It sounds like lots of people here have been there, done that, and can give you great advice.

Mickeyluver37
01-22-2008, 11:58 PM
We :love: our Toyota Sienna as well (8 passenger, 2005 LE). We went with the LE instead of the XLE just to get the 8th seat. I would definitely look into getting a 15 passenger van if I were you though. I'm not sure if my van would seat 8 comfortably, at all times, for several years!

My5Mouseketeers
01-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Congratulations!

We have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia that I love. When we bought it in 2002, it was the only truck we could find that could hold five car seats. (The Suburban type trucks did not have a shoulder belt in the middle seats at the time).

I researched the full size vans for safety,at least at the time, they did not have to follow the same safety guidelines as mini-vans/trucks.