PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Paris

Wexford
03-05-2002, 04:17 AM
Hello and Good Morning.

Well as DH has said no to the World this year i having to have a Disney fix at DLP . Im taking my 8 year old niece in September this year.

I have gto some travel brochures form our local TA and have orderd the one for the DLP web site.

Now i was just wondering if any of you lovely people have and internet sites for me to try so i can compare prices and i do like to think im getting a bargain.
My niece has specified shed like to fly and looking at the brochure prices it cheaper to fly than go by eurostar.

Thank in advance

Tracey

PS I have already stated making plans to visit the World in 2003 possibly late nov or late dec/early januarynad we sholud be going for three weeks.

rob@rar.org.uk
03-05-2002, 06:15 AM
Tracey

Is there any chance that you could move your DLP trip to August? The reason I suggest this is that the park's summer opening hours (9am to 11pm) come to and end on 1 September. We've always found that the extended opening hours make for a much more enjoyable stay - the first few hours are great for riding all the main attractions, then we take it easy around the park and pop back to our hotel for a mid-afternoon swim, and still have the evening to enjoy in the park. This strategy avoids the worst of the queues, gives us plenty of time to relax and we enjoy the park at its best time (after dark). From 2 September park opening hours will be 10am to 8pm on weekdays, and 9am to 8pm weekends.

A good unofficial website, including hotel prices can be found at http://www.dlp-guidebook.de/index_e.htm

Are you planning to stay on-site? If you are, I've found that the official UK DLP brochure is the most competitive, although sometimes Bridge Travel have slightly cheaper prices. Staying off-site can be much cheaper, but relies on either having a car or staying at hotels which are near railway stations (the easiest way to get to DLP is on the RER railway, which is a local commuter line). Unfortunately no hotels run free shuttles to the parks as there is not enough demand for this service. All in all staying on-site is by far the most convenient, but you do have to pay Disney prices for the hotels. My favourite is the Sequoia Lodge - this is the cheapest hotel with a swimming pool. If you don't think that you will use the pool, I would recommend the Cheyenne Hotel. It has a fun Wild West theme, and the rooms contain a double bed and bunk beds which might be useful if you have children who don't want to share a bed.

In terms of getting to DLP, I would STRONGLY recomend that you go by Eurostar is you possibly can. It is a wonderful service, and beats flying hands-down. Even if it costs slightly more than flying I'm sure that you won't regret paying for it. The transfer from the airport to the parks is quite a frustrating experience (ask Bev), while the train takes you literally to the gates of the park. If you can get to London in time for the 9.30am Eurostar departure, or afford an overnight stay in London beforehand (perhaps a trip on the London Eye, which is next door to the Eurostar terminal), the train service is the way to go. Have you considered driving to DLP? It is a very easy journey from Calais (we use the tunnel) and gives you options to stay either on-site of off-site, and the flexibility to easily see other things while you are there (for example, the new international shopping mall next door to DLP).

Finally, if you think that you will visit DLP more than once in 12 months, the annual passes to the park are good value, and gives you discounts on lots of things around the resort.

Regards

Rob

Theresa Hudson
03-05-2002, 06:43 AM
We have flown and done Eurostar and I would opt for Eurostar where ever possible.

We had a nightmare time trying to find where the coach transfer was at the Airport, the coach didn't even turn up at the times we had. No-one understood us at the Airport or gave a stuff. Then we had to wait while everyone else was dropped off. Then the plane was delayed on our return trip in the typical French way.

Oh and on the way out, we flew from Healthrow, despite getting there early there was a massive queue and God did it move S L O W.

What do you think Tracey!

Wexford
03-05-2002, 06:44 AM
Rob what a star i knew youd come through.

My niece really want to go on or around her birthday which is at the end of september. myself and DH have travelled to DLP via eurostar which we did enjoy , we stayed and the Hotle New York but this time we have opted for the Sequio Lodge as you said its moderatley price but with a swimming pool.

As we live out in the sticks we are going to have a fairly long drive to pick up our transportation wether it be eurostar or by plane so ill have to have a good think about that one.

I am cosidering getting an annual pass as i hope to go back again next year as were not going to WDW until the end of next year and i do need a regular Disney fix .

Thank for the advise Rob ill let you know what i book in the end .

Just a thought have you tried anyof the firms which advertise on teletext??

Tracey

BevS97
03-05-2002, 06:46 AM
I have to agree with Rob about the airport - but it depends on where you live and how easy it is to get to the Eurostar at this end. We would fly again, but we would probably pay for a taxi (which is expensive) as the shuttle bus is terrible,

if you can get to the Eurostar then I would recommend that.

We stayed at the Cheyenne and we were v. impressed - the hotel rooms are not big (in fact they are quite small) but they are nicely themed and the staff at the hotel were superb - we had a few problems and they rectified them all quickly and were v. friendly.

Also, goofy 'lives' at the Cheyenne and can be found in the lobby most evenings - I 'chatted' with him one night when he was working the reception desk and the lobby was deserted - he signed a card for my dd's birthday and was generally amusing - we also saw him line dancing in the lobby and playing with the kids in the restaurant.

we also booked direct with DLP (although I booked my own flights, the DLP brochure has v. expensive flights)

Bev

rob@rar.org.uk
03-05-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Wexford
Rob what a star i knew youd come through.

My niece really want to go on or around her birthday which is at the end of september. myself and DH have travelled to DLP via eurostar which we did enjoy , we stayed and the Hotle New York but this time we have opted for the Sequio Lodge as you said its moderatley price but with a swimming pool.

As we live out in the sticks we are going to have a fairly long drive to pick up our transportation wether it be eurostar or by plane so ill have to have a good think about that one.

I am cosidering getting an annual pass as i hope to go back again next year as were not going to WDW until the end of next year and i do need a regular Disney fix .

Thank for the advise Rob ill let you know what i book in the end .

Just a thought have you tried anyof the firms which advertise on teletext??

Tracey

I've not used any of the firms which advertise on teletext to book a TDLP - I am slightly sceptical that they would be able to beat the regular package companies for a standard on-site stay, unless they ofer very cheap travel by coach and stay way off-site. We have friends who did this once - travel to DLP by overnight coach, two days in the park with one night at a hotel about 20 miles away, and then travel back by overnight coach. It was cheap, but not a very pleasant experience and they were put off going to DLP ever again. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

If you do get an annual pass, remember that you get discount on accommodation. This can be a frustrating experience at first, as you normally have to quote your AP number when booking to get the discount (when calling CRO in Paris). However, I've found that if you are patient and stand your ground they will let you book at the discounted rate. I'm not sure if you can book discounted accommodation via the UK booking line, but I vaguely recall KarenUK doing this.

I do understand the motivation to go at the end of September to celebrate a birthday, but I think you will have a much nicer time in August with the extended opening hours. Perhaps an "early birthday treat"? BTW, DLP's hotels are notorious for booking up early, and with all the extra advertising for the new park this year will be even busier. As soon as you know your dates I would make a booking to ensure you get the hotel you want.

Regards

Rob

bengunn
03-05-2002, 11:29 AM
We have been to DLP twice and have driven both times - we are lucky in that we live near Portsmouth so get an overnight ferry to Le Havre and then just a shortish drive (with a nightmare round Paris if you are not careful).

One advantage of driving is that you can also visit Parc Asterix which is excellent - when we visited there were hardly any queues and there are more thrill rides there than at DLP althought the theming is, of course, not so good. Well worth a visit though - lots of water rides.

Wexford
03-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys for all youre help and advise ill be booking in the next week or so so ill let you know how i get on.

Its daft i live right by the sea with a port and jus tup the road is Felixsowe but no passanger ferrys go form either of them, so however well be getting there will involve a 3 hour journey to either the airport or train station, so many decsions to make.

I could always swim of hire a rowing boat what do ya reckon????:bounce:

Tracey

KarenUK
03-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Yes Rob you are right! I have now booked discounted accomodation on the UK line on a couple of occasions and have asked for numerous quotes as well! They are getting better and the last few times I have received excellent service!

I once booked using a Teletext firm called Manchester Airport Travel (part of the Duncan Brearly group or something I think!). I must admit that we got a VERY good price (better than booking direct by quite a long way) and the service was also first class. ( that was staying at the Davy Crockett Ranch, driving and including Eurotunnel crossing). However, since then we have never been able to get as good a deal so maybe it was a mistake. And now I have my shareholders card I have stopped trying as I doubt if I would get a better deal than with the discount.

Whenever you go I am sure that you will have a great time - but I must agree with Rob about the evenings at DLP - pure magic!

Karen

rob@rar.org.uk
03-06-2002, 02:25 AM
Thanks Karen. I have got into the habit of calling Paris to book accommodation as the UK number was not able to offer any discounts in the past. This was several years ago, so clearly things have changed. I'll give them a try next time I'm booking. Do you get AP discounts or shareholders, and accommodation only or travel plus accommodation?

Regards

Rob

UKDEB
03-06-2002, 04:32 AM
Karen,

Do you book a package through the UK line and get a discount, or is it just the room? Although I do DIY for WDW, a one-stop call appeals to me for a first visit to DLP.

Rob,

Where can I buy an AP in advance and compare prices? How many shares would I need to get shareholders' discounts? What level of discount could I expect for AP/Shareholder?

We'd want to travel by Eurostar, but for some reason you can't book the service which goes directly to DLP online. I assume it is bookable separately? If we decided to stay overnight in London, do you know of any handy hotels?

rob@rar.org.uk
03-06-2002, 04:59 AM
Deb, I've tried to book an annual pass in advance, and it is just about impossible. the main reason for this is that DLP annual passes have your photo on them, so you have to visit the Annual Pass Office at DLP to get it processed.

You have to become a member of the Shareholders' Club to get discounts. This is free to anyone wwho owns 350 shares or more. Less than this you have to pay a 5 per year administration to charge to maintain your membership of the Club. Last time I looked EuroDisney shares were about 60 pence. You can get a fulkl list of discounts for the Shareholders' Club and annual passholders (plus prices) on the DLP INternet Guidebook at:

http://www.dlp-guidebook.de/index_e.htm

Main discounts are 5 or 10% discount on accommodation (depending on season), 10% off food and merchandise and 15% off annual passes.

I've never tried the online booking, so I'm not sure what you can or can't book.

The Travel Inn near Waterloo is just a couple of minutes walk to the Eurostar terminal. I think it is the most convenient hotel. It is also next door to the London Eye, so you could try this as well.

Regards

Rob

KarenUK
03-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Rob

I only have a classic annual passport and so cannot get AP discount. At least I shouldn't......
When we went at New Year I asked for a room only booking using my Shareholders discount and they said that they were not allowed to give Shareholders discounts on room only bookings for New Year but I could book a package. When I explained that I had a classic annual pass they said that was different and in that case they would need my annual pass number and gave me the discount because of that! I was totally confused but they assured me that it was OK so I was not going to say no!

Deb
As I said in my reply to Rob I know for sure that you can get discount on packages including passes but I have never tried to book one including travel - I suspect that you could do it but you wouldn't get discount on the travel element. We always book our Eurotunnel crossing ourselves as we have a 'Points Plus' card and, due to my DH's love of Duty free shopping :)
our last crossing was free! We have a free trip we can use this year as our last shuttle was so delayed so it is just possible that I will be phoning the line for some quotes myself soon:) :)

Truly
03-06-2002, 06:41 PM
I pop over to DLP quite often with my work, and I always fly. The bus for DLP is really easy to find, and well signposted with all the other buses.

DisneyDes
03-07-2002, 04:38 AM
I booked a couple of different packages at new year through the UK line using my shareholder's card. They give you the discount off the room only and then add the travel costs on.

The last time we went for the preview because Cheyenne, Davy Crocket, and Santa Fee were full our cheapest option was staying off site Moulin de Paris - nice basic hotel 5 minutes from the park with free parking.

Des

Baldrick
03-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Like Karen, I booked DLP through Manchester Airport Travel (MAT) which is based somewhere in Yorkshire, and got an excellent deal in 1999. Both it and Dunstan Brearley are part of the same company and advertise on Teletext. We drove down and went through the tunnel. The roads in France are so quiet the only holdups we had were when we went to Folkestone from home and when we drove from Folkeston to home. Might be worth pricing up. We stayed in the Santa Fe.

Reg