PDA

View Full Version : I have a home business...how do I start home parties?

JodiR
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I have had a home business for 3 years selling on ebay and website. I just started thinking that I should start home parties. I sell tutu skirts (for dance and dress up), princess dresses, etc. These do sell year round.

My sister is going to help and probably do most of the parties since I work full-time. Where do I begin? How do I get the word out? Before I would just sell individually but now the home based idea sounds interesting. I have color catalogs from the manufacturer that only cost me a quarter. I think I will send those out...but to who? I just need that first connection...

Thanks!

mytwotinks
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a cute idea!

Do you have a daughter in a dance class or any activity that has lots of little girls in it? Do you have a friend with a daughter in something like that? I'm thinking you just need to find a group of mom's with daughters 2-5 and have one of them have a party for you. Maybe call local businesses geared towards little girls (dance studios, gymboree, Little gym, storytime at the library) and see if they will let you put a flyer out or even if they would hand out a flyer.

I do know with "party" businesses that you don't really start to make money until you are having parties for people you don't know in your everyday life.

Good luck. I think it sounds like a great idea! I'm a sewer and I am also looking for that "just right" way to make some money doing what I love.

loveabargin
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
my mother sews and I had a home party for her and invited all of my friends. We hung up the clothing (they were all the same very simple shift dress made in all different fabrics.). We hung up at least one in each size for trying on purposes...plus we had all the colors and combos up. It was pretty simple really. She took orders and gave receipts for payments (all up front) right there. She promised them in 3-4 weeks and gave them all to me to deliver. She didn't want to continue doing them, that was just a good way I found for her to get her name out as a seamstress.
Now, 3 years later, she still sews for those same friends of mine, plus those people sent her more people, and so on. It really built and built. Now, her services are in high demand. We leave for Disney in 2 days and she paid for her and my dad's trip with her "sewing money"...good luck:)

merekc
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
We have a small, free magazine that you can find in Doctor's offices and McDonald's, some schools send them home, called Mother/Child or something like that. If your city has one, check into advertising in it.

If you have home parties, you can offer an incentive (discount) for attendees to host another one. Model them after all the other companies (Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, etc.), but try to encourage people to invite different friends. I get tired of being invited to 5 parties for the same product with the same people because everyone wants the hostess gift from the first party we all attended together. (if that makes any sense:goodvibes )

SandraVB79
01-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Invite all your colleagues (or their wives if you have male colleagues) (or your SO's colleagues/ their woves if you don't have a out-of-house job). Send invitations to all mothers of the kids in your child's class.

When I started my embroidery business, we gave out free towels to about each of our friends. Some of them have never ordered one, but others have ordered many of them. Our idea was: if we just tell them we do it, they will forget about it. If we give them one free towel, they will think about the embroidery thing everytime they use it.

Yesterday, I started making publicity for my cakes/ patisserie: we had visit and I served self-made patisserie. They were very impressed and I told them that once I finish the whole course, I would like to take cake orders to make some extra money.

Maybe also make a little website?

Benducci
01-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Have an open house at your house & let people know that you are now doing home parties.

pstepka
01-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Children's photographers love that kind of stuff (I know...I am one!) I'd love to see your website. I belong to a number of photography groups and could pass the word along there.

Pam

DebMcDonald
01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
do you have a website or business cards, if so I will leave them at my daughter's dance class, you won't get the home parties, but maybe on.line business.