PDA

View Full Version : 10th anniversary...budget trip needed

taximomfor4
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
My dh and I have always planned on a very special 10th anniversary. The past couple of years were horribly tough, I did evening-weekend nursing school. I graduated last summer, and tried to piece the family back together. The past couple months, I've been actively seeking employment.

We never had a honeymoon, because we didn't have the $ at the time (paid our own wedding, etc)...we always said we'd have our honeymoon for our 10th anniversary. Yeah, Right.

I didn't book us a 10th anniversary quick-trip because I thought I'd be starting a new job right around then, but obviously I am not. Our anniversary is this week, and I haven't begun a new job yet (looks like early february, if I got the most promising job).

I hate spending money we barely have, without having a job for sure lined up, but we have clawed our way through this marriage the past couple of years and if we're going to make it, we need to seriously invest in a special weekend.

Any ideas for me? I have a WDW AP that expires soon, but can't see any deals for this coming-up weekend (although I can fly us both for about $200...SWEET!) Staying offsite then paying car rental doesn't seem to help much, either. I even still have DDP I think. I also have AAA.

We are in NE Ohio, so not much to do, that I know of, nearby. We could do what we've usually done, just get a local hotel for the night, but that is always so disappointing...we are together "alone" every evening after the kids go to bed. Wdw is particulary appealing to us, because when I went with my mom, I saw how much DH and I could do, and enjoy differently, with just us there.

I wish I could just say THE HECK WITH IT, and charge us a nice WDW weekend...we so desperately need to seriously reconnect.

Anyone help me brainstorm! WDW, not WDW, driving distance, flying distance...whatever! For this weekend the 25-28th maybe.

ckoncurat
01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Well- I may get flames for this- but for your 10th anniversary I would splurge and pay rack rate, even if you have to pay it off for a couple of months. A weekend at Disney is not that extravagant, IMHO. Congrats on 10 years of marriage.

ttfn3
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
taximomfor4 I have a suggestion if you are up to driving. Hocking Hills near Logan, Ohio is a wonderful getaway - if you enjoy the outdoors. They have some nice cabins with hot tubs. One of the nicer places is the Inn at Cedar Falls: http://www.innatcedarfalls.com/ They have spa treatments and a restaurant.

If the weather is decent, you could take an easy hike the Cedar Falls from this location.

taximomfor4
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Well- I may get flames for this- but for your 10th anniversary I would splurge and pay rack rate, even if you have to pay it off for a couple of months. A weekend at Disney is not that extravagant, IMHO. Congrats on 10 years of marriage.

thanks for the input! I've been looking at the last-minute getaways on airline websites, and am not seeing much that is cheap, at all. I've never attempted a budget trip anywhere except WDW, so don't know how to even look. Plus, most are requiring booking at least 7 days out. Ack. Back to checking WDW. Hard to go there without the kids, though.