PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 2 way radios??

RedSox1974
01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
We are 2 families looking at a December 2008 road trip in 2 vehicles from New Hampshire to Florida. We are considering 2 way radios for the drive down in order to communicate required stops or potential breakdowns.

If we decide to use them in the parks that would be an added bonus.

What features should we consider in a 2 way radio? We are looking for something inexpensive, yet dependable.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

GO PATS!!!

Dabelsteen
01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
You'll pick up signals from other sets once you get there but its probably still worth it. Two thinks you want to try for is waterproof and something with a protective covering to avoid breakage. Some models are "rubberized" accomplishing both things. Have fun!

RedSox1974
01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Thank you Dabelsteen. I appreciate the tip.

Cheshire Figment
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Instead of two-way radios, if someone in each family has a cell phone use them. Basically you will find that you will have 100% coverage while on/near Interstate Highways.

What are we doing?
01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Instead of two-way radios, if someone in each family has a cell phone use them. Basically you will find that you will have 100% coverage while on/near Interstate Highways.
It has been years, but the one time we tried to use a two-way radio at a park, we were very frustrated by the other people on the frequency.

When we head to WDW in May, we plan to get a pre-paid phone just for the trip. Our only commitment is the phone and the initial minutes purchased, but at least we'll have reliable, direct communication.

SueInBoston
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I also agree with cellphone coverage is alot better than 2 way radios. However, I did buy a set of Midland radios to use on vacations outside of US. We've used it on cruise ships, Carribbean, Canada and Mexico with good results. I would recommend looking for sub-channels, privacy codes, vibrate and headsets.

This is the one I got from Amazon last year, I paid alot less so it looks like prices flactuates.

Midland GXT550VP4

Sue

solfan68
01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
We own an inexpensive set of Motorola 2 way radios. They are great in limited scenarios, but for the trip and especially at the parks, cell phones would certainly be a more flexible one-on-one solution. Even if you don't have a pair of phones or want to burn your minutes roaming, maybe look at disposable phones. You could likely pick up a good deal on two Tracfones that you could activate with minimal time, either from the web site or at a brick and mortar like Walmart or Target. Texting on a cell would also be a quick way to get a message out without eating up your cell time. Just a thought.

minnie1928
01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
About a year ago we drove from PA to FL with our neighbors, each family in their own car. We used 2 way radios in the cars even though we all had cell phones. It was very easy...no dialing! As long as we stayed within a 2 mile radius of each other (which we did 99% of the time) it worked beautifully. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

However, using them in the parks is very frustrating as others have said. You end up sharing the frequency with others and it just gets annoying.