PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your Dyson? Which one do you have?

roliepolieoliefan
01-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Our vacuum cleaner just died. I'm trying to talk DH into a Dyson. We would buy it at BB&B with the 20% off coupon.

He's having trouble swallowing the $400.00 price. I don't know if I could even talk him into the more expensive ones, but just in case.

Do you love your Dyson and why plus which model do you have?

We have 2 very furry collies as well as 2 not so furry kids.

TIA!

MichelleVW
01-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I'd like to know this too.....I've got two furry dogs and two furry cats so we have dog hair everywhere!!

CTdiznymom
01-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I bought my red/purple one about 5 yrs. ago and it still is fantastic. I had run over something I shouldn't have and the hose broke, and they sent me one (under warrenty) right away. Not having to deal with a bag is the best pro I can think of. The only con I have is that it is the older model and to switch from carpet to floor you have to slide the wand out of the long hose, flip it around and reconnect it to the top of the wand. A little cumbersome, but I save doing that until I'm finished doing all the carpet. I'm sure the newer models have a different change over method. You definately won't be buying another machine after owning a dyson. :woohoo:

Boston Tea Party
01-20-2008, 10:46 AM
We have "The Ball" and we LOVE it. We have names it "Milton." He's like a member of the family. :thumbsup2

HeyIt'sMe
01-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I have the yellow Dyson and I love it! We have 2 cats and it really gets the cat hair off the carpets and furniture.

happybratpack
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I have the DC17 - the ANIMAL! ;) With always having 4-5 dogs in the house and the mess that comes with them it's a godsend.

Seriously - I thought people were nuts for spending so much then cracked one day and haven't looked back. The day I came home with it I vacummed my big living room rug (prob 15x10) two times with my existing Hoover and the Dyson still picked up THREE canisters of pet hair/dander/dirt on one try. I about fell over.

We bought Mom one for Christmas, Lowes had a $100 gift card w/ purchase so that took the sting out a little.

WDWBarb
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I bought the Dyson "Animal" a few years ago and LOVE it. I did the whole test - the one where you vacuum with your old vacuum cleaner and then the Dyson and I was blown away. I almost hate to admit it BUT I will - I emptied the canister EIGHT times by just cleaning the upstairs of my house. This was after using my old vacuum!

BTW, I have 2 very fuzzy dogs.

The only thing that surprises me and makes me think that perhaps the Dyson isn't doing as much for me as I thought is that when I use the carpet cleaner and shampoo the carpets I still gets TON of hair out of the carpet. I always vacuum first, too. It's really gross, picking up these wads of wet dog hair :scared:

That being said, I still feel that the Dyson was a fantastic investment and I have never regretted my purchase!:thumbsup2

disneyamy
01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I have the DC17 (animal) and LOVE it. Like other's have said, we vacuumed with out old vacuum then with the Dyson and we were completely grossed out by how much 'muck' was still in the carpet. We have a maltese, and a son with allergies & asthma, and ever since we got our Dyson his asthma has been so much better.

I love my vacuum. :thumbsup2

FoundMyPrince
01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
We have the DC14 and love it. We've had it two years and not one problem. We have two dogs now - it picks up so much pet hair that I wonder how we have any carpet left. Love it - totally worth the money!

Alice28
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I have the 'yellow' one that I bought last summer. Best $400 even spent! We don't have indoor pets, so that's not an issue, but it is AMAZING how much dust, dirt, yucky stuff that vacuum picks up! LOVE IT LOVE IT.:thumbsup2

jopatjopat
01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
We have the yellow one and love it! I noticed our Target has them on clearance now so the yellow one there was something like 339.00.

rie'smom
01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't like my purple dyson at all and I wanted to give it to my housekeeper but she doesn't want it either.

4mickeyfans
01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
We love the newest addition to our family - a puggle named Beginet - except she SHEDS to where you'd think she'd go bald!

Dyson to the rescue:banana:

Super easy to navigate, fairly lightweight, and you can't beat knowing how much your sucking up with the clear bucket that is a breeze to empty and replace.

Since this is the budget board, I must let you in on a little secret. We'd been Dyson dreaming for a while when DH called one day from work to say that Woot.com had it as their item of the day. I don't remember exact pricing but it was a great deal. I've heard you can also find occasionally on overstock.com.

Happy shopping...and vaccuuming:thumbsup2

elmonshea
01-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I have the D14 and I am not too impressed with it..
I guess my expectations were too high from reading all the positive stuff on it.
It does not pick up much more than my other(a hoover). ( I still have it and use it also)
Maybe I just got a bad one out of the bunch but it is not as good as I had expected.

FigmentsBiggestFan
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I have the Animal and it is pretty good. It picks up a lot of dog hair (we have a black Lab), but if you just "go over" the carpet before steam cleaning, it leaves some. Just make sure you vacuum it really good (go back and forth a few times like you are supposed to) and it does a really nice job.

But watch out on cheap rugs. Our floor rugs downstairs came from Target, and if DH forgets and uses the beater brush on them, they tear up pretty quick.

becca011906
01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
We just got ours on Black Friday sale... it was $299 with all the discounts it's the yellow one, we were going to be the purple animal one b/c we do have 2 indoor dogs but after looking them both over and over the ONLY differance was that the puprle one came with a special 'hair remover' attachment for the hose... it was $150 more then the yellow. well i found out you can buy this attachmen for $70 at many places then making them the same vacuum... so we did that. It picks up everything, my dogs dumped one of my house plants all over the dinning room carpet luckily it wasn't wet dirt but still black dirt and one started to 'dig' in it so it was down in the light tan carpet!!!! I was almost in tears but after using the dyson it was all up and gone. does great on stairs too!!! I LOVE IT!!! after going through about 8 vacuums in the past 5 years i'm looking forward to not having to get another one in many many years vs a few months like before!

Kimmumum
01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
We have the purple animal Dyson. We really like it. We bought it at Best Buy. It was the demo model. I think we got it for $230. We thought it was a great deal!!!

PlutoPup
01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I have the yellow dyson. I've had it for almost 4 years now. Its the best vacuum! Before we bought the dyson my DH and I were going thru cleaners about 1 a year. Yes, its a big investment up front,- but it LASTS! :thumbsup2

susykt4
01-20-2008, 12:40 PM
We have the purple animal and I love it! I've had it about 6 months and about a month ago I accidentally sucked up my daughter's backpack. I was terrified I wrecked it because the (uh) bottom part came apart. Anyway, it was a scary mess... I unwound the backpack, snapped the pieces back together, held my breath while I turned it back on and voila! Good as new!

The only complaint I have is that when we got new carpet it sucked it up too well and the hose kept getting clogged. But that was an extreme amount of little carpet fibers around the room edges. This is my first bagless and I love it!

ShellyL
01-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I am looking to get the animal dc17 and I am afraid I will not like it. i am a clean finatic and I have a kirdby right now. My kirby is 17 years old and is asking me to retire it. I am so afraid to spend the money and not like it. I have been considering getting an oreck also. I guess I will pick one an d be happy.
Michele

disneynewbee
01-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a dyson also and the suction is everything they promised I also love the no bag/filter. I do find the wand a little difficult and inconvenient to use. I'm actually thinking about getting a little handheld vacume so I can use that instead of the wand.

luvmarypoppins
01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
We have the slim line one. I let dh pick it out. He liked it the best. We got a good deal from Kohls and got the floor model with a big discount and rebate. Even the teen ds will vacuum now without asking etc.

StephMK
01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I bought a purple Animal refurbished from Amazon 3 yrs ago on a gold box deal. Also signed up for the cc to take another $40 off & it ended up being about $260. We have a retriever, beagle, long haired DD, 2 more messy kids & DH and I LOVE it. I wish the hose were longer but otherwise, very happy. Before that, I had a Hoover Windtunnel & hated it.

ceecee
01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I have the animal (purple one) and we got it mainly for the animal hair attachment since we have 2 labs. I only got 2 canisters after the "test" with my old Eureka so it must have been pretty good too! I still notice dog hair even AFTER I vacumn so I'm not overly impressed.
The attachments are SO hard to use and it's heavy to carry up and down the stairs. I would try one before you buy if at all possible. I probably would have chosen something with easier attachments since I switch back and forth a lot. Our Target has the yellow one for $339.00, there were 6 of them left so they may even go lower, check your Target store.

KimmyDisneyNerd
01-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I have the DC17 (the purple-animal one) and it is the best purchase I have ever made. I think the attachments are super easy to use and it's easy to take up and down my 2 flights of stairs. I have 4 cats, and everyone always comments how there is not one fur on my carpets or furniture. It also works fantastic on bare floors.

LSchrow
01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
we have 2 (loved the 1st so much, knew we wouldn't last a week without one:rolleyes1 ....so now we have one for upstairs, one for down). we currently have 1 golden retriever & 3 cats (2 long hair).
our "older" dyson is prob about 5 years, & just as great as the day we bought it :thumbsup2 suction has not decreased at all.
we went thru sooooo many vacs before getting a dyson (hoover, eureka, panasonic, kenmoore, etc) ~ they all lost suction within a year. when you consider how long dysons last (& actually keep working like the first day!), you're spending a lot less by not buying a new vac every 2 years or so. and you save on bags & belts.

even vacuuming up the stray sock, etc is no prob: the "joints" are easy removed to declog it.
the only downsides (which i really don't think matter, just including b/c everything needs a downside lol) are that they are heavy & it can be a challenge to figure out how to change settings (e.g., carpet vs bare floor).

we would never consider another brand after owning a dyson :thumbsup2

PatMcDuck
01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I got the yellow DC-07 last month. I have to say, I LIKE it alot. I used to read people raving about it, and was skeptical, esp after reading consumer reports. But, it is nice and light to carry upstairs, and works great. I bought some attachments for it on Amazon, yikes more $$.

It is all plastic and this company must be making a fortune on these things though.

Melissa_E
01-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I have the DC-14 low floors version. I did a TON of research before buying, this is what I found out:

DC-07: terrific vacuum, but when I saw it last, the handle for the hose was attached differently than the DC-14. I thought the DC-14's version of the handle was much more efficient and easier to get to all of your attachments, so you can actually USE them.

DC-14: Upgrade from the DC-07, the handle seems to be better in my mind.

DC-15: aka the ball. I tried this one as well and didn't like it. I had to use too many muscles in my wrist and lower arm. As someone who delas with carpal tunnel, I worry about stressing those muscles. See if you like it.

DC-17: I don't know what the upgrades are on this one vs. the DC-14.

The different vacuums between the larger models (aka the colors) only differ by the attachments that they include. If you don't neet all of the attachments that the Animal offers, get the yellow and save yourself some money. That is why I chose the red on vs. the animal. I didn't need the mini-turbine, or a few of the other attachments, so I got the one that I needed, the low floors attachment.