PDA

View Full Version : Mailing to iraq question

flying_babyb
01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a friend in iraq and I keep sending her letters. Well I just got my 3rd one back with RTS ANK. on it. What does that mean?

Wonderlandmom
01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
"return to sender, address not known" ?? Probably needs a better address is my guess.

mickeyville
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Return To Sender
Attempted Not Known

In english, that means this person is not at this address. It could be an incorrect addy, or the unit may have relocated...

flying_babyb
01-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I would guess they relocated.

prattjoanna
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Some units in country move around a lot. However, if you know her unit, they may have a "wives" group here in the states that can help you get the correct address. Google the unit number and you are bound to find out how to send care packages to them.

flying_babyb
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I googled the unit and got no were :(

Christypl
01-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Overseas APO and FPO address do not change if the unit moves. The address is for the unit themselves regardless of where they are. Example...my dh was on ship, then in Japan...address stayed the same.
My guess is you have the address wrong.

flying_babyb
01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I cant, All the other letters written to the same address have gone though. theres no differnance

lovemygoofy
01-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Overseas APO and FPO address do not change if the unit moves. The address is for the unit themselves regardless of where they are. Example...my dh was on ship, then in Japan...address stayed the same.

That isn't true for all units. My husband usually goes through 3-4 APOs while deployed. He is already on his 2nd and I just received his soon to be 3rd and it's only a month into this tour of Iraq.

OP, are you addressing the envelope correctly? Don't put the address out here but if you want to PM me I could let you know if it's done correctly. Sometimes mail there is just a PITA.

ETA: I'm sorry I didn't see where you had sent other letters that were not returned. It seems that the APO could have changed. Do you have an email to contact your friend?

flying_babyb
01-19-2008, 11:30 PM
yea I emailed her a few weeks back but her computer had broken right before christmas so I dont know if she can respond.

flying_babyb
01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I feel real stupid. I had her last name wrong due to my roomate. I found a old email today and relized my mistake. Gonna mail my huge pile of letters off again tommrow.

jsmith
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
What Tina said-if the unit is assigned a number -i.e. an address line that says unit #1234-that stays static but APO's are location specific-FPOs i believe stay with the unit.

Fizzgig
01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I second lovemygoofy... My Army friend went through a few addresses as he was moved around Iraq.

cirquelovers
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I am finding military addresses to be very confusing and the forms have me scared! It sure is expensive to send stuff over to the troops too. My son and I have just joined beanies for Bahgdad, thanks to a hint here on dis, and are trying to figure all this stuff out!!

memymomonica
01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
It could depend on what branch of the service too. My husband is a Marine, and his address does NOT change during deployments. When he is on the ship, on land, different ports, all the same address. Army may change theirs.:confused3

flying_babyb
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Im just glad to have found her again.Funny thing is the name was never wrong. Its just shes known by her maden name, not her married name since they got married right before they deployed. I found her, talked to her on yahoo, and found out shes got myspace to boot LOL.

I found a soilder to adopt on this site: http://www.mysoldier.com/ and was amazed at how often she responds. Whats niceis many soliders on here have email.