PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Mexico vacation help?

littlele
01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I know this board is extremely helpful to find good, family friendly and, most importantly, budget friendly trip info for Disney, but this time I need info on a trip to Mexico.

Anyone know where I could get help (or do you have any advice?). We want to stay in an all inclusive and haven't narrowed down exactly which part of Mexico. It's important that there are plenty of things to do-after all, our last six vacations have been Disney.

TIA!!

sunlover13
01-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Check out tripadvisor.com. You can read reviews about resorts from people who have stayed there. We went to Riviera Maya Nov '06 and loved it. Ours was adult only so I don't think that will help you. The area was beautiful though and very close to the airport, a bonus. Check out Moon Palace. That resort was close to ours and a coworker of mine went and loved it. Good luck!

PrincessNoelle'sMom
01-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I know this board is extremely helpful to find good, family friendly and, most importantly, budget friendly trip info for Disney, but this time I need info on a trip to Mexico.

Anyone know where I could get help (or do you have any advice?). We want to stay in an all inclusive and haven't narrowed down exactly which part of Mexico. It's important that there are plenty of things to do-after all, our last six vacations have been Disney.

TIA!!
I am a TA that specializes in family travel. You can PM me and I'd be glad to help!

maggiew
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I've been researching this too! Check out locogringo.com They have a forum on all-inclusives.

I've narrowed it down to staying at the Grand Palladium or Barcelo Maya. It will be about $3000 without air for 4 of us. (My kids are considered "adults" since they are over 12. Yours might be cheaper if they are younger.) These are supposed to be 5* resorts.

Many on locogringo.com like the Akumal Beach Resort. This is a 3* and thus cheaper than the ones listed above. But the amenities are less , like the number of restaurants, pools, etc. I'm toying with getting a quote for Akumal Beach Resort too. If its a lot cheaper, I may be persuaded to go there instead. I mean, we usually stay at Pop Century at Disney - not Grand Floridian.

Maggie

Disney Ella
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
If you are thinking of the Playa del Carmen area, try www.playa.info

shortbun
01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd definitely recommend the Riviera Maya on the Yucatan Peninsula below Cancun. From there you need to research the hotels. I always like an ocean view, many of these properties do not actually have good views of the ocean because of the way that area was developed. We always get a car there so we can go where we want, when we want. It's easy and there is just one main road north and south with resort areas all up and down the coast. Some resorts cater to families, some do not. There is a lot to do in the area, just make sure your resort is large and has some activities too - OR - small and good access to tours. We've enjoyed the Akumal area often and the Akumal Beach Club used to be great. I haven't talked to anyone who's been there in a few years so check out recent guests if you can. A travel agent who send lots of people there would be a great asset and they can direct you to the best air/land rates.

problemchild718
01-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I agree Mexican Rivera (the area between Cancun and Telum) We have stayed at Secrets Excellence and Moon Palace-both all inclusive and both AWESOME! We explored Mayan Ruins, did scuba an snorkling, you are 30 min from Cancun night life, nice beach and shopping/resturants in Playa Del Carmen, There is a high speed ferry to take you into Cozumel from Playa Del Carmen, many cultural sites, you can hire a driver and explore "true" Mexico. Swim in Cenotes, visit Xcaret. Basically more to do than you will have time or money for. Very hard working, nice people. Spanish is not a must and its a great value for your money.

tropicalgirl
01-20-2008, 08:31 AM
We stayed at the Grand Palladium two years ago on the White Sand side when they first opened that part. We went with 4 families and everybody loved it. The resort is beautiful. The pools are amazing and the beach is absolutely gorgeous. If you go with the right frame of mind you'll have a great time. Remember, you're in Mexico. There will be a language difference! Time moves slower in Mexico. Just relax! The food does get old after a week even with all the restaurant choices. We did go into town and ate there one night. There was tons of shopping there and it was very lively. My husband and son went on a quad riding excursion and he's still talking about it. You can swim with the dolphins and see the ruins if that's your thing. There's also zip-line excursions near by. You will not be bored. The Grand Palladium will also allow 5 in a room if the kids are all under 12 years old. The rooms on the White Sand side were huge with two double beds and a sofa that converts into a bed. The bathroom was very impressive. The Grand Palladium does have an unofficial website with tons of info -- all in favor of the Palladium. (palladiumaddict.net).

Good luck planning your trip.

Melissa_E
01-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I've been to Cancun three times and love it there. I've stayed at the Sun Palace (same company as the Moon Palace), I've visited the Beach Palace, Cancun Palace, Moon Palace and Xpu-Ha Palace. If you are looking for something family friendly, the Moon palace and Xpu-Ha palace has a lot of varying activities and calmer waters for younger children. If you want to see the crystal blue waters though, I'd stay closer to Cancun. The Beach and Cancun Palaces allow children while the Sun Palace is now adults only.

The Moon palace is a bus ride from Cancun proper, so if you wanted to do any bar hopping, you will be doing it within the hotel itself. However, it is closer to the ancient sites such as Tulum and Chichen-Itza.

Here are some Cancun sites to help:
http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/index.php
http://mytravelboard.com/cancun/

maggiew
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
We stayed at the Grand Palladium two years ago on the White Sand side when they first opened that part. We went with 4 families and everybody loved it. The resort is beautiful. The pools are amazing and the beach is absolutely gorgeous. If you go with the right frame of mind you'll have a great time. Remember, you're in Mexico. There will be a language difference! Time moves slower in Mexico. Just relax! The food does get old after a week even with all the restaurant choices. We did go into town and ate there one night. There was tons of shopping there and it was very lively. My husband and son went on a quad riding excursion and he's still talking about it. You can swim with the dolphins and see the ruins if that's your thing. There's also zip-line excursions near by. You will not be bored. The Grand Palladium will also allow 5 in a room if the kids are all under 12 years old. The rooms on the White Sand side were huge with two double beds and a sofa that converts into a bed. The bathroom was very impressive. The Grand Palladium does have an unofficial website with tons of info -- all in favor of the Palladium. (palladiumaddict.net).

Good luck planning your trip.

Thanks for the palladiumaddict.net website!! I've been looking for copies of the a la carte restaurant menus and I found them there!

Maggie

HeatherC
01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Looking into this myself. A friend just told me that they booked thru Expedia for April break for $3000 for a family of 4...including air from Boston. I thought that was a great price.

They are staying at the Royal Solaris in Cancun.

Heather

shortbun
01-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Looking into this myself. A friend just told me that they booked thru Expedia for April break for $3000 for a family of 4...including air from Boston. I thought that was a great price.

They are staying at the Royal Solaris in Cancun.

Heather

Last time I saw that hotel, it was old and in need of refurbishment. The rooms were small and the pool area lacked pizazz. It's a good price but I hope it's been redone recently.

Seriously folks, get away from Cancun. It's been overdeveloped and the newer, bigger resorts south of that (Riviera Maya) have much better scenery and beaches.

nelson84
01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Everywhere I go in Mexico I get the squirts, spend a little more and go to Atlantis, always safe.