PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying new washer/dryer

Minnie
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone -

Both our washer and dryer are getting older and we would like to replace them with a new front loading/pedestal model.

Any tips on which one to buy or where to get the best deal???

Locally we have a Lowes, Sears, and a local furniture/appliance shop.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

TAEMom
01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Our old top loader washer died and so we just bought a front loading washer and dryer at Lowe's last fall. I spent significant time online and looking at Consumer Reports to decide what to buy - and wound up completely confused. The models in CR didn't always match up with what the stores had in stock locally (they might have had the same brand, but different model #s). In the end, we purchased a GE set b/c that is what we had previously and it had served us very well for 15 yrs. So far (only 3mos later), we have not regretted it.

What I found is that most of the stores locally carried the same model and were within $10 in price. The sticker looked a little lower at HD, BUT, it was going to be over a week before they could deliver and with 3 kids, it was worth it to us to pay a bit more to get it the next day through Lowe's. In the end, Lowe's threw in a new hose too, so it probably was just about the same price. I also found the salesman at Lowe's to be MUCH more knowledgeable than the one at HD, but that could have just been a fluke.

You will LOVE whatever front loader you get, I am sure. I cannot believe how much less often I have to do laundry now and how much less laundry detergent I use. So, while the set was more expensive than a top loader set, we will easily make up the cost in water savings and laundry detergent savings.

micki7337
01-19-2008, 12:43 PM
About a few weeks ago our washer bit the big one. we tried to get it fixed and it would of cost us over 900 dollars to fix a 500 dollar washer so we needed to do allot of our research in 2 days . we looked up on tons of web sites and ended up purchasing a Kenmore elite H3t front loading washer. It is made for sears by maytag. it is similar to the may tag duet. it costs approx 1000 dollars but we have notice a change in our wash habits and the amount of wash that we are doing. I would also say look on line at best buy, sears for price comparisons and also go a google search on the washer that you are looking for and read all the reviews good and bad do not take all the good or bad as gospel on the washer/dryer. also good luck.

XYSRUS
01-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Whew-I just got a brand new LG Tromm washer and dryer-LOVE IT! There's 6 here and I am forever doing laundry. These babies wash beautifully and dry in a reasonable amount of time. (Can you tell my old w/d were dinosaurs). I would spend the money again in a heartbeat.

mamaloya
01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I just got a great deal on a Whirlpool Cabrio. It is a top loader, but has a larger capacity than the front loaders. The lid is clear. It has no agitator, so washes like a front loader. The big plus over the front loaders is that you can add items after the wash begins. You would not believe how many times I start a load only to find a sock or something was left out. I also bought the storage tower that goes between them. I love it. It holds all of my laundry stuff and then some.

Good luck.

WHIT1
01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
My washer of 13 yrs seem very tired so I decided to replace it. I also wanted a front loader but I found a top loader.Its a Maytag Bravos and it washes my king conforters with ease. I can tell a big difference in my clothes they are cleaner and they don't itch me. My old washer didn't rinse that well and my clothes didn't seem clean. It has a see through top and its a breeze to add more clothes anytime during the cycle. The reviews on this washer were very good so thats why I got it and haven't regretted it. Also can already tell the difference in water bill. Try it you'll like it.:thumbsup2

Minnie
01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks everyone for all your replies :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

We ended up purchasing the Whirlpool Duets at Lowes with the pedestals. They should be delivered by this evening :thumbsup2

I'm very allergic to all kinds of stuff so I'm looking forward to less soap and better rinsed clothing oh and a much faster dryer than our 30yr old electricity sucking dinosaur :rolleyes1