PDA

View Full Version : No Disney Trip this year

David 1980
01-19-2008, 06:50 AM
:mad: :mad: How many of you have changed your mind about doing DW this year? I had the plan in the works for a June vacation but with prices for everything going through the roof I have backed off. I am just wondering if I am the only one who feels this way?:mad:

mickeyfan2
01-19-2008, 07:06 AM
We canceled out October 2007 trip. This year we are still planning on going for our 25th Anniversary. We may scale it back, if the need arises.

hrslvr142
01-19-2008, 07:07 AM
We won't be going this year either. Planned on it for Dec but son is deploying sooner then expected and can't come home so will be making the trip from Indiana to Ca to see him before he leaves. Also dh who usually works for H&R Block is very ill and can't work so the money that was going to pay down debt is not there either. Fortunately Disney will always be there and we will hit it sometime.

RayJay
01-19-2008, 09:27 AM
:mad: :mad: How many of you have changed your mind about doing DW this year? I had the plan in the works for a June vacation but with prices for everything going through the roof I have backed off. I am just wondering if I am the only one who feels this way?:mad:

Not alone Dave, even though I feel we can afford, we are skipping this year, money is going into savings or college fund.

RayJay

If U Had Wings
01-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Right now I'm still going ahead with my plans, but may need to change that if I get a new job this year.

I'm really hoping to go this year, as my mom and I are planning on taking a trip to Italy in 2010, so after this year I'll be saving up for that.

Julia M
01-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Our trip is still on, but we have a few special things about our trip.

Dd and I have to fly to Daytona for a nationals. So we are already in FL (we're from CA). So dh and the 2 boys are what we need to account for airfare for.

I have old passes, so we won't need to buy those.

I exchanged our timeshare and we have 2 weeks: one at Cypress Point Grandvillas and one at Hilton Grand Vacation Club. We plan to take time to enjoy the resort, go to Disney water pakrs (we have TONS of old plusses) and spend a day or two at the beach.

I got a Disney VISA in 2003 and have never used the reward points. I currently have over $1100 (a year ago, I switched to Marriott VISA). SO we'll use that for meals in the parks, and maybe a few special meals at hotels (I love Boma!)

SO, I expect our expenses to be the 3 airfares, a car rental and some groceries for the unit, plus whatever places we do off site.

I had orginally planned to spend one week in a timeshare, and 4 nights at the Beach Club, concierge level, but decided it was way too pricey. I doubt I will ever stay onsite again.

Julia

Tine731
01-19-2008, 01:20 PM
We are going in 5 days but this will be our last trip until spring of 2010. We are not on a tight budget but we did scale our table service meals back a little. We also have a few 1 day tickets that we are going to upgrade. Just like one of the above posters we could afford to go a few times in the next 2 years but feel we need to put more money into our retirement funds.

Del
01-19-2008, 01:25 PM
We were thinking of going this April or November. We just can't swing it now. So no it's not just you. It's us too.

Del:)

GC&S
01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
We are optimistically planning for fall of 08 but since we are getting ready to file a lawsuit against DH's ex-business partner (who owes us around $200,000) this may not be feasible. So unless we get our money, or DH's business increases, or I get more hours at work it probably is not possible to go.

EthansMom
01-19-2008, 01:54 PM
We've been going on two vacations per year for the last few years and had tentatively planned to go to WDW for Free Dining this year. But, with inflation and the economy the way they are now, DH and I have decided to put a WDW trip "on hold".

If they come out with Free Dining, I might still book it on the off-chance that things get better. But wouldn't tell the kids, since there's a strong chance that I would end up cancelling.

(While we're doing okay financially, "extra" money (OT, bonus, promotion) from DH's job has decreased dramatically over last year while prices for groceries, gasoline, oil, and other consumables (clothing, etc..) have dramatically increased.)

mom2my3kids
01-19-2008, 02:16 PM
We are going this year, but we will be on a tight budget, we didn't think we were going to be able to go.

kinntj
01-19-2008, 02:30 PM
We're still going this year (our first family trip), but we scaled it back. We were planning on doing WL this trip and decided to go moderate (POFQ). The cost of the package with moderate and airplane was the total of just the Disney package with WL and NO airfare. That was a no brainer and we just took the less resort and included airfare to help with costs.

Who knows when we'll be able to go back.

neatokimmo
01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
We were going in Sept but now I'm redirecting the money to a savings account. I am trying to really up my accounts this year. And since she is only 11 months, she won't miss it yet (mommy will tho!)

xominnieox2
01-19-2008, 02:58 PM
We're not going until '09... We have to pay off some of our credit cards and that sort of thing.

disneyfav4ever
01-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm exactly the opposite! I was planning on no trip this year up until a few months ago, but then I was able to get the deluxe plan for $32 a night, so I decided to book a trip!

But I agree, the costs are getting too high, so 2009 might be a no trip year for me.

SetzKitten
01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
We have no plans to go this year. It will be the first time in many, many years that we have not gone. We need to buy a new fence instead. I don't think we can get one more year out of the one we have. :sad2:

toesmom
01-19-2008, 04:04 PM
we bought 60 pt BWV DVC contract instead. Figured it will cost us $6000 to go on holiday for 1 week in August (that includes $1200 for flights out of Toronto, $1200 for hotel costs, $150 for car rental, and the rest in money we lose by not working for the week - already have the APs).

So instead bought the contract and will pay it off by not going on holiday in August.

With those points, we will have a holiday every year from now on, so I don't mind missing it this year.

ksumn1
01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Should get a big tax refund this year, and I'd thought about trying to talk DH into a trip, but we need to use it for other stuff. Owe my MIL $$, and will pay a big chunk of it off, last $100 owed on a CC, pay all car, truck and house insurance up for a year, and put some into savings. DH agreed to put $1000 for a vacation and we're talking about the beach or we may just do a short weekend trip and put that back for a WDW trip next year. Really wish Jiminy Cricket wouldn't keep talking, so I could push for a trip and not feel irresponsible.

gypsydoodlebug
01-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I keep harping at DH, but he's not budging. I want an April or May trip before DD starts kindergarten. He wants to pay off the CC, which I guess is sound advice. Sigh.

happybratpack
01-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I know where you're coming from.

We will be going this year, but will definitely be cutting back. Typically we take the kids for a week, we'll go for a week alone and then a couple long weekends so usually 4 trips per year. We will still do the kids trip and then probably just one short trip for the two of us. We'll go somewhere else with the remainder of our vacation instead of WDW.

I'll tell you, the dining situation where they're increasing the prices for certain times of the year REALLY rubs me wrong.

ETA - In addition to cutting down the number of trips we'll be staying moderate instead of deluxe to cut costs. I don't see us doing days and days of big meals like in the past either.

HenDuck
01-19-2008, 08:02 PM
No trip for us this year so we can take a budget trip to WDW next year.

I don't mind, though.

I'll feel a lot better going to WDW next summer once I've gotten rid of the CC debt and have put another chunk of $$ away in savings.

My other goal for the year is to build up my vacation time so I can take a nice vacation next year and still have extra days to take for other things.

DH and I were just talking about rising costs this morning. We expect our health insurance premiums to go up significantly this year. :scared1: That plus the rising cost of groceries, household items and gas, has made me really start thinking we need a new plan. I just haven't figured out what that plan is yet.

Since I work for the government, I get paid slave wages, but I have lots of good benefits and time off when I need it. If I go back to the private sector, it will be just the opposite. I'm not sure I'm willing to make that sacrifice yet, but I may have to soon. :guilty:

You are NOT alone. :grouphug:

mannasn
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
No trip for us this year... was really hoping on making it for DS's kindy graduation but it's going to be a no-go.

Just got the rejection letter today that hubby didn't get the job he applied for (and we prayed SO hard about). :(

justwinnie
01-19-2008, 08:19 PM
We had to cancel our planned 2008 trip once we found out we were having twins! We bought APs in October with plans to go in late Sept 08, but when we returned from Disney in October, we got the exciting news.

Knowing we were pregnant and due in May, we still figured we could handle one newborn and our daughter in October... But since there will be two babies, we just don't think we could swing it.

Looks like Disney will be an every-other year trip, rather than annual. We'll be able to get bigger DVC accommodations if we bank every other year.

I'm not the only one sad about not going this year-- my daughter is especially sad about it. I didn't want to blame it on the twins, so I just told her our tickets weren't good this year.

sandiegosusie
01-19-2008, 10:06 PM
DH and I are going to NYC for his birthday instead. Flying from the other land (DL) is always a hassle. We were able to swing a quicky trip last September that we didn't plan for, so its ok to miss this year, maybe even next...tuition for two college boys is adding up...

luvmy2sams
01-19-2008, 10:31 PM
We just cancelled our two reservations for August and December of this year. We've decided to do a smaller scale vacation this year in order to offset my tuition costs.

Hoping for a big Christmas 2009 trip to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

MoniqueU
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Well we weren't planning on Dw or DL but I don't think we will take a big vaction this year either. We usually travel alot but DH just started a new job so no vacation time that I know of and lots of financial catching up to do to say the least. He was out of work from oct. Plus all of a sudden I don't think I can get on a plane so not even sure where we would go if we did have the time or money. We have been everywhere within a decent driving distance multiple times.

David 1980
01-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I am so glad I am not alone at no DW this year. I know the kids want to go but I told them hopefully next year we can make it happen? I am looking at Dollywood or Kings Island in Ohio? I am not sure as the one to choose because they both look like fine choices. I wonder if anyone has any good or bad things to say about either place? I was a bit sad yesterday I had a Disney Planning DVD show up in the mail so I got rid of it before the kids watched it.:guilty: :guilty: :guilty:

RIDisneyFan
01-20-2008, 07:52 AM
We thought about going last year when I got a promotion, but decided we needed to pay off some bills instead. :sad2: We are planning to go this year in Sept if they have free dining. :woohoo: DD10 will be in middle school next year, so this will probably be the last time we go for several years. We can't go during the summer, so it's either during school vacations (way too crowded) or take both DD's out of school for a week. That was ok when they were both in elementary school, but I don't want them to miss too many days once they get to high school or middle school. We are scaling back some though if we do go this year. We'll only go during free dining, we always stay at a value, and we were planning on going for 9 days this time but till probably change it to 7 days. Now I'm just hoping we'll be able to find a low air fare.

ilovefh
01-20-2008, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=happybratpack;22670134]

I'll tell you, the dining situation where they're increasing the prices for certain times of the year REALLY rubs me wrong.

QUOTE]

I hadn't heard about this. Can anyone tell me about this?

MrsPiglet
01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
We cancelled too for this year. We were going to do the bounceback free dining, but with DD starting college this fall we aren't going to be able to go. I will just concentrate on getting the credit cards paid down. We might go to Branson sometime this summer.

happybratpack
01-20-2008, 10:37 AM

QUOTE]

I know there's info on Deb's site but I can't get there for some reason. Here's another article. (http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/11/13/planning-on-dining-at-one-of-disney-world-s-buffets-over-the-coming-holiday-season-then-ho-ho-ho-get-ready-to-give-mickey-even-more-of-your-dough.aspx)

It's in effect the week before Easter too which is our Spring Break. It was the final nail in the coffin for me to not go that week, I was already on the borderline already. I know it's not a lot of money, but it adds up and it's the principal of it IMO. Plus it affects most of our favorite restaurants.

Iluvthemouse
01-20-2008, 01:15 PM
We arent planning on going this year either. The prices seem pretty high even for September. We are going on a Punta Cana trip in June-all inclusive 4.5 star resort w/air for the same price as Disney.

lisajl
01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I agree...it is crazy! We were going in Sept, but something else came up.
My Dh and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and we decided to go to Ireland then. In doing that we needed to not spend so much this year. We are going to Michigan instead. We are renting a house for a week, near a beach and a state park. The place has a kitchen so we can eat at home and not spend so much. Saving a little money by taking the dog with us. Should be a good time. Will I miss Disney? Sure will, but by not going I will get to see Ireland next year...that will be...Priceless.

Gerweniel
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't think we'll be going either. I was hoping for a late August or mid November trip, but I set myself on a strict budget plan to pay off all my debts and I don't see how I can fit a trip in. My sons and I are cutting back on lots of things. Also, I work indirectly for a huge cellular carrier that just announced tons of layoffs, so I'm just praying that I have a job. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
We have been extremely fortunate to have traveled 4 times in the past 5 years, so I cannot complain a bit.

mannasn
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Okay, parents...

Do you guys feel guilty when you don't take your kids on a yearly vacation?

Hubby and I took our kids on our first ever family vacation in '06 (Disney), then to the beach in '07. This year, we probably won't be taking a vacation at ALL (hubby in school, me taking a paycut). Our two sons are ages 10 and 6.

I feel horrible about it. Tons of mommy guilt.
Maybe it's because my parents were much more financially successful when they were my age now and as a child I was always taken on summer trips to the beach. We wouldn't be financially destitute if we went somewhere for a weekend, but hubby and I are trying to save for a house and pay down debts.

So, does forgoing vacations completely make me a bad parent? :D

Mouse House Mama
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

QUOTE]

They now have "seasonal pricing" at restaurants. :mad: I did not know this since it is new this year and we just got back. I found out when I went to pay the bill at Chef Mickeys and it was $140 for 3 adults and 2 children for breakfast!:scared1: They raise the prices for the season. I am so angry about it. This last trip made Disney seem very much like Great Adventure. Dh and I are not very happy at the direction it is taking.

buzz5985
01-21-2008, 12:18 AM
My Dh and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and we decided to go to Ireland then. .

Congratulations on your 25th!!! I went to Ireland on my honeymoon - 22 years ago. Can't wait to go back. Have a pint or 2 for us.

buzz5985
01-21-2008, 12:21 AM
I do have a trip planned. But I own DVC and this year we plan on eating in a lot. We are meeting my sister and her family and can't wait.

And as a side note. I live near Boston. And when I go out to eat even at a chain restaurant the average for 3 of us with tip is about $75. So I don't find Disney World that much more expensive. But $140 for breakfast is just ridiculous.

Nynaeve
01-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Okay, parents...

Hubby and I took our kids on our first ever family vacation in '06 (Disney), then to the beach in '07. This year, we probably won't be taking a vacation at ALL (hubby in school, me taking a paycut). Our two sons are ages 10 and 6.

Maybe it's because my parents were much more financially successful when they were my age now and as a child I was always taken on summer trips to the beach. We wouldn't be financially destitute if we went somewhere for a weekend, but hubby and I are trying to save for a house and pay down debts.

Not at all! Don't feel bad! Sounds like you have a lot going on that much more important. You'll go back when you can! :hug:

We don't plan on WDW this year. I feel we were really lucky to go the past 2 years though. But between a new house (and all the expensive small touches that some with it) and maybe wanting to get a new car next year, it's just not in the budget. But, I'm taking DD home to visit family, family comes to visit us in 2 months and maybe a weekend trip to DL sometime we still have some stuff to look forward too.

We told DD that we're not going back to WDW this year, because it was too expensive for us. She was a little sad, but told me that she'll save up the pennies she earns to pay for it. I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd be saving until she was 25. :rotfl2:

mamalle
01-21-2008, 07:48 AM
:confused3 Doesnt look like it. I priced a trip for June for 3 nights 4 days room and tickets and without food- its expensive even with fla rates. We are going to do the seaworld/ Aquatic Water park instead in April over spring break and stay with sil. At least they have a great promotion going on for $80 for both parks. I think if the economy keeps going into the dumps the state of florida is going to be hurting since we are a big tourist state. Disney is just getting way to expensive for most families and will see a decline in customers..

HayGan
01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Okay, parents...

No it doesn't make you a bad parent at all! It makes you a responsible parent for spending what little resources you have on the important things and not on vacations! There will be plenty of time (and hopefully money) for that in years to come. There are plenty of things you can do with the kids to have fun together as a family. Do the free kids workshops at Home Depot/Lowes, watch for free events in your area, have movie nights in your own living room. The list goes on and on.

As for us, no Disney this year either :sad1: We went 4 times in less than 2 years so it is going to be a big change for us. We are going camping at a local state park for a week but that is our only vacation this year. We want to focus on gettings some stuff done around the house this year. Next year we are planning do 2 weeks in Orlando so we want to save for that as well.

happybratpack
01-21-2008, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=ilovefh;22678213]

They now have "seasonal pricing" at restaurants. :mad: I did not know this since it is new this year and we just got back. I found out when I went to pay the bill at Chef Mickeys and it was $140 for 3 adults and 2 children for breakfast!:scared1: They raise the prices for the season. I am so angry about it. This last trip made Disney seem very much like Great Adventure. Dh and I are not very happy at the direction it is taking.

I was wondering how they were informing guests of these changes since I don't know how anyone would know unless you read it online. I would have blown a gasket if I were you. This situation w/ the seasonal dining REALLY irks me.

MsLeFever
01-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Just got the rejection letter today that hubby didn't get the job he applied for (and we prayed SO hard about). :(

That's hard - my DH has been in that same situation. Something will happen - but it usually isn't in "our" time which is frustrating!

MsLeFever
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I love this thread.

DH and I have made a serious pledge to get our debt paid down this year. We have each taken on extra jobs and are cutting back on everything. We'd told the kids that we were trying to get to Disney this summer but it looks doubtful.

DS " I CAN'T go 2 years without WDW!"

Well - he can, we all can, and we are all doing the smart thing here. Paying the bills, saving for the future and planning a trip when we can afford to pay cash and when we'll come home rested and NOT to a pile of bills.

Still - it is lovely to read 3 pages of folks that are making the same decision!

pjb0216
01-21-2008, 08:57 AM
We had to cancel our planned December 2008 trip as well. We could have swung it, but we have one credit card that we need to pay off. Even though we do have savings we really are feeling the need to build on our savings this year with the way the economy is going. Plus, with the way prices are rising on everything, it just seems to take more to live and it seems like we are getting a lot less. We are going to take our kids to the beach this summer, which will be a cheap trip because we go with our extended family and we eat in every night but one. I am just glad that I did't tell the boys that we might go to Disney because they would have been so dissapointed.

Darcy03231
01-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Count us in too. We usually do a big vacation with the kids and then DH and I do a cruise. This year we're not doing either one. My job is very stable but DH works in commerical construction and its really slowing down. While the company would have to be closing its doors for DH to get laid off and we doubt that would happen, we're playing it safe. That coupled with the rising costs of everything and the fact that we have some things to do around the house, we just decided on no vacations this year. Luckily our children are all old enought to understand about fiscal responsibility (14, 16, 19 & 23). Hopefully, we'll be able to do something next year.

Disneycrazymom
01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
This will be the first year in a long time we won't be at the parks. :guilty: We are going on a cruise with my extended family and that will be really fun. I had hoped to combine that with a few park days,as we have done in the past but really it just bumps the total cost up too much. So we will fly in for the cruise and out right after. It will still be a wonderful vacation but I will miss the timeat Disney. Maybe next year.

For those of you looking for a more economical way to travel this year, try Royal Caribbean. We have 2 VERY nice cabins, all meals, and entertainment for $4800. That is total for a family of 4 in 2 cabins. It would be less if we didn't have a balcony cabin or if we had all 4 of us in 1 room. Cruising is very family friendly and can be pretty economical too.

luv2nascar
01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I had scratched Disney awhile ago but now DH is thinking no vacation at all. OHHH my headaches are acting up. I wanted to go the shore for 3-5 days depending on money/expense. He wanted to put all that money into paying off credit cards/bills. We tried last year for debt free except mortgage and did really well first 6 months. Then $7000 in unexpected bills hit so no further debt reduction last half of the year. It was $2000 in vet bills, $2000 in dental bills beyond our insurance, and $3000 between our two vehicles. UGGG. :confused3

I really want the debt paid off but I really need a vacation because I didn't get one last year. So I'm torn.

crusoe2
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
We're still planning to go this year but only because we can do it much less expensively than usual. Our 16yo son doesn't want to go back to Disney this year - he has a band trip in the spring that is kind of a big deal and he doesn't want to make another long road trip so soon after. Not having to buy tickets and food for him will lower the cost of the trip quite a bit. We've also decided to stay offsite - I got a condo for a fraction of what a room onsite would have cost. And having the full kitchen will save us even more money on food. I figured that accommodations, park tickets, and parking combined will cost us about half of what we paid for our tix and room at CBR last year. As long as I can keep food and souvie spending under control, the trip cost will be very reasonable. Of course, we can always think of other things that would be a more sensible use of our money but, unless something drastic happens, we should still be able to take care of the necessities and go on the trip. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing that drastic happens between now & then. One thing we won't do is charge the cost of the trip on a credit card. If we can't pay cash, we don't go.

rmjkharrisfam
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Nope - no trip for us either. We are also seriously trying to pay down debt so we have both committed to no trips. Ugh. But we are planning a trip for sometime in 2009 AFTER all of the bills are paid off. Makes it worth the sacrifice now though....

Mouse House Mama
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Mouse House Mama;22692713]

I was wondering how they were informing guests of these changes since I don't know how anyone would know unless you read it online. I would have blown a gasket if I were you. This situation w/ the seasonal dining REALLY irks me.

They don't say anything. They just give you the bill. They said nothing when I booked it either. They also do not say anything about the 18% gratuity. We are good tippers as a rule but roughly $20 to pour a cup of cofee for me and clear the dishes? Come on! I live in NY so I don't have a problem with paying for food etc. as the prices are comparable to here, but I think Disney is just way ridiculous now. My all time favorite though was the CM walking around the Osborne lights selling beer!:confused: We are not at Yankee Stadium! It was disgusting and yet another attempt for Disney to make a buck. We never mind spending the money for WDW but this last trip left alot to be desired.

chobie
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Mouse House Mama;22692713]

There was a small sign at the desk at Boma, but I didn't notice until the way out. Even so, it is unlikely people would turn around and leave on their way to their table. Because we missed the small sign, we were surprised to find that extra amount added on two nights after Thanksgiving. I think this new policy is BS. I can understand upping the charge on the holiday, but not for these extended periods of time. More and more we eat at Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Pucks' express, or pick up a pizza from Giordano's.

rluey29
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
We are cancelling ours as well, mainly to get rid of CC debt. I am also not happy with the Dining plan changes so that just helped in our decision. We are planning on going in 2009.

mannasn
01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Not at all! Don't feel bad! Sounds like you have a lot going on that much more important. You'll go back when you can! :hug:

Thanks to you and the others who responded to my "guilty mommy" post. :)

It just breaks my heart that my baby THOUGHT that b/c we went on a trip to celebrate when mommy (me) graduated (college), that meant that we would be going on a trip to celebrate when he graduated (kindy). :(

Now that I think about it, it's not so much "mommy guilty" as it is "princess syndrome." I've got that "I want it, I deserve it" attitude about taking a vacation currently (that and wanting to go back before DS turns 10 in August... :o).

Well, I DO have a stressful job. But that's no reason to be financially irresponsible. Paying off bills and saving money just isn't as much FUN as taking a trip, though. LOL :)

maxtomsmom
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
We only go every other year. On the off years we do a small local trip, one that we can drive to and is less than 4 hours away. We didn't go last year and this year we are scaling back (mainly because we just moved into new house). We do our best to save for the two years. We use our points from American Express to pay for our Airfare. We use our card for grocery shopping, dry cleaning and gas- basically the things you buy in cash. After two plus years we usually get two round trip airfares for free. While it doesn't pay for all of us, it helps. ;)

myAAbatteries&aTD
01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
We also only go every other year and do something closer on the off year. This year is our year to go, but we already have tickets (unused days from our last trip, bought my youngest dd's before prices went up), stay offsite through timeshare exchange, and will use Disney reward dollars and our change bank for spending money....

I really want to go back to DL in December, but am thinking about NOT doing that trip.... makes me sad and it could still happen, but many things will have to fall into place....

NMW
01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
We are still going this year-May 08. But, we are toying with the idea of not going next year-09. We have gone to Disney every year since 2002. In that time the only "major" projects we have done in our house (built in 2000) are new tile floor in the kitchen (we had Pergo), new countertops, backsplash, sinks.

There are so many things I want to do, but we don't because we use the $$ for vacations. For example, I want a new leaded glass Pella front door with sidelights in the fake wood stuff. I want our front walkway ripped up and pavers put down like we have in the back yard from our fence gate to our deck. I also want the front steps removed and paver ones put in. I want the Pergo in our foyer and laundry room ripped out and tile put in. I want a new, bigger chandelier in the foyer.

Anyone else want to do projects, but take vacations instead? Or, is it just us? :rotfl:

Recently, we have stopped to consider the $$ we spend going to Disney and how many things we could do in the house with it. I think we feel like we are betraying Disney or something, if we don't go! When we booked our May trip, it's only about $6,400 for us at the Beach club with tickets and the deluxe meal plan. So, we think well, that's not much. What we don't consider, or hadn't until recently, was our airfare $$, our spending money, tips, limo, etc. That puts us around $10,000. DH and I are reluctantly thinking about skipping an 09 trip and doing projects in the house.

I know I'd be happy to get those things done, but every time someone mentions a Disney trip, I see a commercial, etc. I'll be sad. Does anyone else feel this way?

HayGan
01-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I know I'd be happy to get those things done, but every time someone mentions a Disney trip, I see a commercial, etc. I'll be sad. Does anyone else feel this way?

Believe me, I know how you feel!!! The kids see a Disney commercial and keep asking "how many sleeps til Disney?" I just cringe when I have to answer "about 500." :sad1: I have to remind them that when we do go it will be a 2 week vacation with Universal included!!! I think we might make a quick trip for DS#2 7th b-day in January. It would have to be a super budget trip. The kids and I already have tix so no cost there. We would definitely stay at Pop! We would be bringing snacks and only eating counter service. If I can do it for less than $800 I might consider it.

It's funny that you mention that $6,400 isn't much for a vacation. For us, that is about two/three vacations! It just goes to show that different people have different budgets. What may be not much for one could very well be a lot for someone else. We all have different "budgets" in life :)

twooley2
01-22-2008, 09:35 AM
We are canceling our disney trip after much debate. As we remember when our family could go for 2500 with the meal plan now it cost 4090 with a meal plan at a value vs the one time moderate we used to stay at. the value just no longer seems wise. Take for instance the dining plan changes, the increase in OOP meals if you dont do the dining plan or meals that you do have to pay for. the rooms are too small for the magic and too big a place to drive from offsite while spending so much. I remember when they had the wishes program and you got three wishes a day to use as you saw fit and you could even use 2 of the wishes for Cirque de Sole. The castle was only one wish and only dinner shows were 2 wishes. Pictures at the castle were free if you took them yourself of course. Cinderella actually visited the tables not just during picture time as I have heard has changed. Now I love Disney but I have to turn on my logic too. I can do a 7 day cruise and visit three carribean islands, all meals paid for 8 offered a day. Live an hour from Galveston Port and swim in a real ocean with fish and marine live as to say on an excursion. Have kids entertained relax and be in no rush to get anywhere for fear of loosing money because of lack of time and no real appointments for meals unless we want an appointment. They even give you razers, soap, shampoo, tylenol in all cabins, not in just deluxe accomodations . This is the first year I feel Disney will loose some customers. Disney used to even mail out confirmations each time you changed something on a reservation, not no more they wait till a couple of weeks before now. This is cost effective but it was nice to hear from them while you were saving to go. And no Bibbidi boutique as parents just went in the bathroom and did the kids up or did them in the morning. I guess my point is Im not staying in a value for more than I have stayed in a moderate in years past seems strange to be called value LOL

dydo2424
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
We are still going this year-May 08. But, we are toying with the idea of not going next year-09. We have gone to Disney every year since 2002. In that time the only "major" projects we have done in our house (built in 2000) are new tile floor in the kitchen (we had Pergo), new countertops, backsplash, sinks.

There are so many things I want to do, but we don't because we use the $$ for vacations. For example, I want a new leaded glass Pella front door with sidelights in the fake wood stuff. I want our front walkway ripped up and pavers put down like we have in the back yard from our fence gate to our deck. I also want the front steps removed and paver ones put in. I want the Pergo in our foyer and laundry room ripped out and tile put in. I want a new, bigger chandelier in the foyer.

Anyone else want to do projects, but take vacations instead? Or, is it just us? :rotfl:

Recently, we have stopped to consider the $$ we spend going to Disney and how many things we could do in the house with it. I think we feel like we are betraying Disney or something, if we don't go! When we booked our May trip, it's only about $6,400 for us at the Beach club with tickets and the deluxe meal plan. So, we think well, that's not much. What we don't consider, or hadn't until recently, was our airfare $$, our spending money, tips, limo, etc. That puts us around $10,000. DH and I are reluctantly thinking about skipping an 09 trip and doing projects in the house.

Wow! I could have written this post word for word (except insert POR/POP)! Why does WDW have to run soo many commercials:rotfl2: I skipped all of the home improvements last year to take 2 trips - who did I think I was?! Before that I hadn't been in 7 years. So I am trying REALLY REALLY hard not to plan a WDW trip for this year. But it's so hard:goodvibes

NMW
01-22-2008, 09:53 AM
We are canceling our disney trip after much debate. As we remember when our family could go for 2500 with the meal plan now it cost 4090 with a meal plan at a value vs the one time moderate we used to stay at. the value just no longer seems wise. Take for instance the dining plan changes, the increase in OOP meals if you dont do the dining plan or meals that you do have to pay for. the rooms are too small for the magic and too big a place to drive from offsite while spending so much. I remember when they had the wishes program and you got three wishes a day to use as you saw fit and you could even use 2 of the wishes for Cirque de Sole. The castle was only one wish and only dinner shows were 2 wishes. Pictures at the castle were free if you took them yourself of course. Cinderella actually visited the tables not just during picture time as I have heard has changed.

I remember that plan! It was the Dreammaker Silver plan and it was pretty good. We did the Silver and the Gold ones before they dropped them in favor of the DDP. We didn't use the wishes for anything other than restaurants, as our children were quite young. I remember the gold plan even included the Cirque tickets and we didn't use them-our daughter was under 2. And yes, Cinderella did come around to the table back then and it was only 1 wish!

twooley2
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Yep wow someone who remembers the good days Im so excited. Though I was the only one who was feeling the jipped part of disney now LOL

twooley2
01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Another memory they used to give free pin lanyards with their package not just luggage tags.

suevee
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
This will be my last year going to Disney for awhile. I have been planning and saving for awhile. We do not use the credit card and pre pay most of everything. The rest we take traveler's checks which we also order free from our bank ahead of time, so that is sort of like prepaid.

We are going in March for 5 days (just hubby, me and sister), a family trip in June for 12 days with DD, DGS, and DGD and a get away in Feb 09 (maybe) for just hubby and me. We have already purchased APs which will be redeemed in March 08, our airfare for March and June is paid for, our rooms for March and some of June (SoG) are paid for, and we have $4500 coming back in Federal taxes to pay for the rest. So I consider these prepaid trips!!! :idea: Disney math reigns!!!:rotfl:

However, after that I do not see us returning until 2012 when our youngest DGS will be 5 years old. Like others it is time to do things around the house and save money, not spend it......:angel:

dizzy duck
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
No Disney trip for us this year. With the economy tanking, we are afraid to spend any money we don't have to. We had several home improvement projects planned for this year, but since they all cost money, the house looks OK just as it is. :scared1:

diz

Deffenm
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
We are not going this year either. We decided to pay off our debt instead. We are going in June of 2009 and my mom is joining us. - YEAH FREE BABYSITTER, plus DS turns 10 in July so we wanted to go before he is considered an "Adult". This year we are just camping at our favorite State Park on Lake Erie. We can camp there for about $250 for the week. Our food is already covered in our regular food budget and the kids love to go to the beach, ride their bikes, and play at the parks.

I really wanted to go in Dec. this year to see the lights but after I priced out a package for me and DH we realized we could take a cruise and save some money. So if all of our debt is paid off we will be taking a cruise in Dec.

BUT LOOK OUT WDW in JUNE of 2009 becuase we are coming. :banana:
Hopfully by then the Dining plan will be better.

PatriciaH
01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
We live so close to the parks we don't spend our vacation money on WDW trips anymore. My good friend is coming in May/June for her daughters 2nd birthday so I get to stay at Yacht Club concierge with them-yes! I got to stay at the Grand Floridian concierge last May with them so that was really nice. DH and I are seasonal Cast Members so we get them 40-50% off the rooms, otherwise they would not do it either. They also drive down from NJ.

Our big trip this year is in the fall (Adventures By Disney) and we will be visiting Disneyland Paris. The only reason we can do that is extra work (web design/programming) my friend sends us.

wulfgeat
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
We actually wound up scratching our trip in '07. We just were not going to be able to make everything work to get the trip we wanted. Rather than settle, we decided to wait. We are kicking around the idea of a trip in December '08. Not sure because the money could be better used for some other financial goals....

xominnieox2
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
We might be going if free dining goes our way. We are waiting on the details of the tax stimulus rebate, $2700 would help a lot if we can get free dining.

dbarker
01-31-2008, 05:15 AM
We are not going to WDW this year. We will go in summer of 2009. We will stay at POP instead of AKL.

We love WDW, but the budget just cannot handle as much as we would like.

Mouse House Mama
01-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Ugh! I got mailed a pin code!!!! It's killing me! We might have to break down and take a trip. I also have a free plane ticket. Oh the decisions are so hard!:headache:

stephgles
01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
We were debating whether to go this year or not. I recently lost my job, so with that happening, it looks like no Disney for us. We have gone yearly for the past three years so I know a year away wont hurt anything, but I will still miss it.

I am hoping that in 2009 I will be able to go again but time will tell.

dlrhine
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
On the fence! Help!!! :sad2: Ok.. here is the story and tell me what you all think. We will be getting a tax return that is large enough to pay off the little we have in cc debt and still have enough left over for a trip to WDW. The problem is I wanted to put it to house stuff and just savings, however my Dad and Step Mom want to take one more trip with their grand daughters. My girls are ages 5 and 7. Anyhow, here is the story. We went in Dec. 2005 and with my Dad and Step Mom and it was cold. This was to be their big trip with the girls and my Dad came down with pnemonia(sp?) and was put into Celebrations Hospital.. so that killed his trip. Since then he was dx with COPD and is slowing down and fast. He can still walk it and enjoy it and doesn't need supplemental oxygen yet, so my Step Mom is saying lets get him down there at the end of April when it isn't too hot and not too cold and he can enjoy his DGD this time and hopefully not end up in the hospital. I agree he is going down hill.. but I'd rather do other stuff with the money, but I can't get time back with my Dad either. And too boot my mom has stage 3 ovarian cancer and I've been taking care of her non stop and my Mom who actually gets along with my Dad and Step Mom very well, she just couldn't be married to my Dad anymore, says to go and destress from doing all her cancer stuff and she is going to schedule a 3 week break in her chemo so she is healthier and stronger while I'm in WDW so I don't have to worry about her being home alone. I don't know what to do. Part of me is afraid to leave my Mom and work on the house and part of me says I need a break to do this with my Dad and spend time with my girls that they haven't been getting with me cause of taking care of my Mom.. they haven't had the attention they need from me. HELP

RayJay
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
On the fence! Help!!! :sad2: Ok.. here is the story and tell me what you all think. We will be getting a tax return that is large enough to pay off the little we have in cc debt and still have enough left over for a trip to WDW. The problem is I wanted to put it to house stuff and just savings, however my Dad and Step Mom want to take one more trip with their grand daughters. My girls are ages 5 and 7. Anyhow, here is the story. We went in Dec. 2005 and with my Dad and Step Mom and it was cold. This was to be their big trip with the girls and my Dad came down with pnemonia(sp?) and was put into Celebrations Hospital.. so that killed his trip. Since then he was dx with COPD and is slowing down and fast. He can still walk it and enjoy it and doesn't need supplemental oxygen yet, so my Step Mom is saying lets get him down there at the end of April when it isn't too hot and not too cold and he can enjoy his DGD this time and hopefully not end up in the hospital. I agree he is going down hill.. but I'd rather do other stuff with the money, but I can't get time back with my Dad either. And too boot my mom has stage 3 ovarian cancer and I've been taking care of her non stop and my Mom who actually gets along with my Dad and Step Mom very well, she just couldn't be married to my Dad anymore, says to go and destress from doing all her cancer stuff and she is going to schedule a 3 week break in her chemo so she is healthier and stronger while I'm in WDW so I don't have to worry about her being home alone. I don't know what to do. Part of me is afraid to leave my Mom and work on the house and part of me says I need a break to do this with my Dad and spend time with my girls that they haven't been getting with me cause of taking care of my Mom.. they haven't had the attention they need from me. HELP

My motto,

Have no Debt, Have an emergency fund.

But most important "Have no Regrets" this is that part where everyone says live for today. I say find that balance, this situation kinda tips the scales a little more towards live for today. I'd go to Disney with Mom and Dad. God forbid it's the last time, but what if.....either the savings or the debt will have to wait.

Good Luck to you all.
RayJay

Todd&Copper
01-31-2008, 11:25 AM

In your case, I would probably book the trip. Generally, when people ask, my immediate thought is - yeesh, they want WDW fanatics to justify their desire to go again in the face of overwhelming signs that point to "no". If your family income is secure, then go. When I was a kid, my family made a trip up to WDW from S. Florida and my dad went to visit his ailing mom in a nursing home one day (they didn't want young kids to visit and my sister was a little too young) and brought her pictures and cards and letters and souvies DSis and I got for her. She was delighted and had a great day out with my dad. The next week, she died in her sleep. You never know how much longer someone has, so if I were in your shoes, I'd go on this "one last trip" and then get to saving. :)

dlrhine
01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Actually the debt will be gone and still have enough for disney after that. Just the savings won't be what I want it to be, but enough we'll be fine. Also, my trips don't really cost me as much, as some said here, my best friend works for Disney so she gets our room for us at 40% off and gets 3 of us in on her maingate pass so no tickets needed but for one child.. so the cost isn't horrible. I'm just a cheap skate when I see things I could do in the house. Besides the sick parents.. this trip will also be over DH and My 35th B-days. His B-day is April 18th the day we'd get there and My B-day is the 24th, and we'd come home on the 27th. Also, he graduates from grad school on March 25th with his MBA so it would also be a celebration of him working so hard and finishing with as long as he pulls off another A with a 4.0 straight As from Eastern University. I'm so proud. There are a lot of reasons to go. Sick parents, our B-days, his graduation, etc etc.

fab4
01-31-2008, 11:32 AM

I hear you. We too have been going every year since 2002. We have been working on our house also. Just finished putting new siding on and doors . I want a new front window , drive way, hardwood floors resurfaced etc. But I also refuse to go on vacation so we pick a few projects and do what we can.
If you look at all of the work you did get done then you deserve a break and what better way than a family fun vacation at Disney. In the last couple of years we put in an inground pool and fencing, built a garage, bought furniture , new siding, new doors, etc and still had fun. So unless something beyond our control happens I cant see not going.Have fun you only live once.

tinaluis
01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
We have decided to put all of our extra $$ toward paying off our mortgage early instead of a trip to WDW. It's KILLING me not to have a trip in the works but I know what we have to do :( . I keep referring to the new amortization schedule with the accelerated payments and dreaming of how great it will be to have the mortgage gone in less than 4 years!!!!!!!

We also need to put a new roof on our house and will be using our tax return for that. In past years, the tax reutrn would come in and I would immediately start thinking "vacation"!!! Not this year.

RayJay
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Actually the debt will be gone and still have enough for disney after that. Just the savings won't be what I want it to be, but enough we'll be fine. Also, my trips don't really cost me as much, as some said here, my best friend works for Disney so she gets our room for us at 40% off and gets 3 of us in on her maingate pass so no tickets needed but for one child.. so the cost isn't horrible. I'm just a cheap skate when I see things I could do in the house. Besides the sick parents.. this trip will also be over DH and My 35th B-days. His B-day is April 18th the day we'd get there and My B-day is the 24th, and we'd come home on the 27th. Also, he graduates from grad school on March 25th with his MBA so it would also be a celebration of him working so hard and finishing with as long as he pulls off another A with a 4.0 straight As from Eastern University. I'm so proud. There are a lot of reasons to go. Sick parents, our B-days, his graduation, etc etc.

dl

Maybe this will help, if you notice my signature we have been alot. That being said many of those times we didn't really have it because I was paying off debt and wanted to pay more or something needed to be done to the house or we wanted to do something else with the cash, like finally having a savings.

In the end we always took the trip and I have "No Regrets". Did I get everything done to the house I wanted, No. Did I juke up the savings, "No way we could" but we created memories, and it was alot of money. Now that being said we are skipping this year because we have been there done that, need a break and we are finally going to save my bonus and maybe do some other things. What I'm saying is you are not along, many people struggle with the same decisions we are talking about. At the end of the day you'll make the right move that feels good to you. It is hard because you want to do everything, I know.

It's finding that balance, of course for me it doesn't help that one of my children have a heart condition, so it pulls my emotional strings, plus I'm already a big Disney nut, so that's a double whammy for me, and that damn Mouse knows it cause he keeps sending me stuff in the mail. Anyway I'm just trying to give you some more thoughts to have.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Have a great day.
RayJay

dlrhine
01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the love and advice. It has been a really hard year and a depressing one at that. Oh.. and I know the mouse having your heartstrings, I worked for him in 95 on the CP, and still love it and now more than ever. That is actually how I met my Best Friend working for Disney.

daisy1234
01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
WE cancelled our feb 2008 trip! Maybe next year!

james'mommy
01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
we're still on for may and I just booked for mid november also. but we're using our dvc points and already have old passes. we're flying in may since it is a short trip but we will drive in november. outside of airfare and gas our only expense is the dining plan. with dvc i've already paid for the points and i have to pay the dues every year so i might as well use the points.