PDA

View Full Version : Calling all techies- need computer monitor help please

kate0305
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
We are hoping to get a new computer monitor for our home office. We have lots of expectations for it. . . I would like to be able to also use it as a tv. So it would need a VGA input, a HDMI input and a tv cable input. I have found a ViewSonic that does this, but it is only 22 inches. I would like it to be a little bigger if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations? And if you have a recommendation, do you have a good deal to pass along for it as well?

Thanks in advance!

Illuminations_Rocks
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Please do not take offense, I am just wondering, are you really certain you will want a computer monitor that is very large? I definitely understand why you'd want a TV larger, but a computer monitor is not usually something you are incredibly far away from, and something that large may be uncomfortable for normal use. Just a thought. It may be better to get a TV and a monitor separately. Of course, if you are planning on going wireless and sitting far away, then I understand where you're going for sure.

If at all possible I'd go to the store just to make sure you like what you're getting first.

You may want to check out TV's and just look for those that have PC inputs. I think when I sold TVs we called them "PC compatible" or said that they have "PC inputs". You're likely to have much better luck finding something larger.

ETA: I just looked at Circuit City's website under flat panel TV's. They have some listed with PC connectivity and some with PC inputs. I am assuming this is the same thing. Anyway they have 26" if you wanted something just a little bit bigger than 22" (as well as having smaller of course) and it goes up from there! Looks like the Samsungs all have it listed on the main page, along with a few other ones here and there. If you go into the actual tv details page, you can see "PC compatible" in the list of specifications with a Yes/No.

kate0305
01-20-2008, 08:13 AM
I appreciate both the feedback and the politeness.* You did not have to worry about me taking offense- I admit I am not at all knowledgeable about tech stuff.* We were trying to get away with one component instead of 2-and pare down our HUGE old monitor that takes up half of the desk.Thanks again-I will be studying the ads, and making the rounds to find something we like and something we can afford!

micki7337
01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
you might want to do what i have seen if you want the home office to double as a media room then get a cpu with no monitor. that is typically cheaper and get more bang for the $$$$ then buy a large flat panel TV with pc inputs then get wireless key bord and mouse and you got a big cpu.