PDA

View Full Version : Bad "etiquette", or not?

fan1080
01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
With regards to using fastpass:

Would it be considered bad etiquette if I was to go get fast passes for an attraction while the rest of my family goes to the standby line. I then excuse my way through the stand-by line to catch up with my family?

Thoughts?

RNRcoasterGrl07
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
no one is going to stop you but i wouldn't recommend it, not after i had to call security because of a fight between unhappy guests and people who were doing that.

Tinkbellfan
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
This is a very heated question on the boards and alot of opinions have been given. From what I have seen, the majority of Dissers would say yes, it is bad "etiquette". Don't get us started on pool hopping, strollers, and smoking!;)

Simba22
01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
IMHO, if your whole family waits in line, and only 1 person come later to catch up, that's fine with me. What I hate is when 1 person holds a place in line and 6 people try to join in later. That's a no-no.

crunchymomma
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
IMHO, if your whole family waits in line, and only 1 person come later to catch up, that's fine with me. What I hate is when 1 person holds a place in line and 6 people try to join in later. That's a no-no.

ITA!!!!

AdamsPrincess
01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I agree with Simba. I think you would be alright if your family was waiting in line and you caught up, but I would not be very happy if you were waiting in line and your whole family caught up with you.

MichelleVW
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I really hate when people move in front of me in line to "catch up to their family" I don't care if it's one or 20 it bugs me. We have one person run and get fast passes, but the rest of the family waits at the end of the line for the person to get back...anything else IMO is rude.

Matt'sMom
01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Line cutting can be a very sore subject on these boards.

In general, most people here (myself included) tend to feel that cutting into a line that you were not previously in is poor etiquette. If you want to be seated with the rest of your party, then the entire party should wait and enter the line together. Otherwise, the fast pass runner should use the single rider line (where available)--or skip that ride entirely--and meet back up with your party after you exit.

This is a different situation than someone who enters the line with their party, then needs to exit--to take a young child to the restroom, for example. I have no issue with allowing them to re-enter the line to rejoin their party. Key difference being that 1) they did enter the line with their party originally, and 2) leaving the line temporarily was due to a genuine need, and not something done for mere convenience (like running for fast passes).

My family does use the 'fastpass runner' approach at times. It is faster than dragging everyone back and forth across the parks, just to grab the next fastpass. But we always either wait by the entrance to the queue, or go do something else, until the runner returns. Then we enter the line together for those rides/attractions we wish to experience together. Works well for us, and we don't have to worry about ruffling any feathers by attempting to cut in line.

CanadianGuy
01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Traditionally.. whomever I'm traveling with.. we time our Fastpass runs around potty breaks and short snacks for others.

So.. while they go potty and get a Dole Whip, I'm running over to Buzz Lightyear to get FP's and then running back to meet them so we can all get in line for Pirates together.

That's has always worked great for us.

Knox

fliewr
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with MattsMom. I don't have a problem if someone is already in line, has to leave for a quick emergency and then gets back in line. But my family does the same thing when getting FPs. They'll wait for me at the standby entrance and we go in together. Honestly, how much longer are you waiting if you do that? 5-10 minutes, maybe. It's really the most courteous way to do it.

Tricialiv
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
It doesn't take long to get fastpasses. I think they should wait for you and you all enter standby together. SOme of the lines are not wide and it is a pain to scrunch together to let someone through

TisBit
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I am definitely in one person hurries for the fastpass while everyone else just takes their time to the next ride. You are already cutting a lot of wait off your times! It works really well and no chance of ticking someone off! :thumbsup2

JKMJ441724
01-18-2008, 01:16 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. One person, no big deal - could've been a much needed restroom break, drink of water, phone call, fastpass - I don't care. You would get my OK.

ppan77
01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't care if its just one person. I would hope most people would be understanding. This could happen with fastpasses, potty emergencies, diaper changes, etc. Just be polite getting back in line!

Sleeping Becca
01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I say use your best judgement. If you catching up in line doesn't change someone's wait time, (like if there are 5 persons in your family in line for Buzz, and you join them, your family will still use the same number of ride vehicles whether you ride or not) go for it. Or if it is for a show like Philharmagic or Voyage of the Little Mermaid I don't see why not.

Most of the time my family will wait for me to get there. If they do decide to get in line without me, I might join them depending on how far in the line they have progressed, if it is far and I have to pass a bunch of people, then I'll just sit that one out.

I don't have a problem with letting one person or a parent and child join their party, but a bunch of people, I have a problem.

Texas Rob
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I mean this in the most kind way to possibly put it: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. You are on vacation....relax a little and stop to smell the roses. Whether that means you have to wait a little extra in line or excuse a fellow human being for something out of control. We all (myself included) need to chill on vacation and just take it easy. It seems we have schedules to meet people to beat and such. The next time we go to WDW we are not going to use a schedule. We are just going to get up and go.

Now on the other hand if 20 people are cutting in line and being disrespectful then I think the cast members can figure that out and take care of the situation. But don't ruin vacation for your kids or other family by making a scene.

Just my humble and kind opinion.

hildarumpole
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Some people won't care at all, some more people will be annoyed by it, but won't say anything, and a few will get angry, which may lead to an ugly confrontation. Don't count on others being in a relaxed vacation mindset. Why tempt fate on vacation? It's not always easy to catch up to people in line. The queues are often narrow and your group may have moved to a point where you can't easily see them when you enter the line. Have your family chill out with a snack or bathroom break while the fastpass runner does his/her job. 5-10 min. wait to get in line isn't going to wreak havoc on your touring schedule.

labattblue
01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't go at a time of year when the lines are crazy, so I don't care if A SINGLE person needs to join their group up front. A group of 5 or more trying to do the same thing is WRONG and Disney should have a zero tolerance policy for line jumping that is always enforced.

That being said, I'm not going to cause a major scene and let it ruin my vacation, but I'll probably make a sly remark as they go by or in the case of some Brazilian tour group or some adventurous teens, I may make it difficult for them to get by.:)

TLSnell1981
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I have no problem with one person or one person with a child, joining their party that is already in line. I have no idea if this person had to leave a long line to go to the restroom or whatever. Now, a group trying to pass me will have more than a little difficulty. I will be happy to show them where the end of the line is.

OceanGdss
01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
so just to throw another stick on this topic...what about someone needing to use the restroom while waiting in line? Myself, I have a hard time going longer than an hour without using the restroom. It stinks having to judge whether or not I can stand in a line based on A) how long the wait time is (over 60 minutes..forget it..will have to pee!) or B) if its the middle of summer and I can't drink water while waiting in line out of fear of having to use the restroom and so I get very light headed. So, how do my fellow DISers feel about an adult having to step out of the line to use the restroom then stepping back in with their family?

tjmw2727
01-18-2008, 03:30 PM
It dosen't bother me to have one person try and join their party or especially a parent and child who may have left the line for an emergency.

However to answer the OP, No I don't think it's "good etiquette" and I wouldn't do it. We would all like to go get fast passes while others hold our spot in another line but most of us don't. Imagine the chaos if everyone did things this way? It can also very difficult to time the lines and often its very difficult to pass through a queue to join your family, it may be not be worth the trouble.

TJ

Sleeping~Beauty
01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I am only answering the OP's question about the fastpass runner (not bathrooms or anything else, just fastpass). I think a lot of people use the fastpass runner, my family does. We wait for my husband and then go in as a family. I don't have my DH cut anyone to catch up, and I don't expect it to be done to my family.

jngwright
01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
so just to throw another stick on this topic...what about someone needing to use the restroom while waiting in line? Myself, I have a hard time going longer than an hour without using the restroom. It stinks having to judge whether or not I can stand in a line based on A) how long the wait time is (over 60 minutes..forget it..will have to pee!) or B) if its the middle of summer and I can't drink water while waiting in line out of fear of having to use the restroom and so I get very light headed. So, how do my fellow DISers feel about an adult having to step out of the line to use the restroom then stepping back in with their family?

I have read time and again on here about how people should go to the bathroom before getting in line, and make sure their kids do too. IMHO-sometimes this is just not possible. You can ask a kid a dozen times if they have to go, and they say no (I still make them try-tinkle tinkle) Lo and behold, you get in line and stand there 20 minutes and "Mooommmy, I need to go-NOW" Some adults also have bladder/bowel issues that are beyond their control. I agree with a PP who said we just need to chill and not get all nasty about it.
That's just me, but I won't glare at you and block your way while you try to connect with your family.:hippie:

Markstudy
01-18-2008, 04:08 PM
my answer is not directly aimed at the OP... I appreciate you taking the time to ask the question :love:

But I must admit, if I'm in line, I won't let people pass me

I didn't come to Disney to make their day better at my expense, by giving up my time.

I play by the rules and expect others to do so also :cloud9: :hug:

What will you do when you run into trouble? There is going to be one or two people like me in every line? I am very nice about it :dogdance: but it rubs me the wrong way. So I do speak my mind. (I'll make the exception for someone that left the line and is now coming back)..but if I didn't see you leave, your not cutting :cool2:

I guess as long as you're ready to go hunting for your family after the ride... then take a chance. But don't be surprised if you get stopped.pirate:

Disney builds the lines to snake around and be hard to see or tell where your party is. They do this in part to make it much harder for people to join the party. :teacher:

PS-
Its not just one person.... if the idea gets popular its 1 person in each party times 75 parties

KorieDWnut
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I can't speak for others, because some people are really tough about it, but for ME, I don't mind at ALL when it is one person, or like one person and a child. But when it is 2-3 teens and they are pushing their way through like they just totally have the right to plow past you, then I get miffed. I also get upset when there is ONE person in line and then a whole family catching up. One person, fine, 2 people...ehh..fine too. So long as you are polite about it I doubt I would give it much thought but like I said, when people just start charging their way through like you are in THEIR way...I get all passive aggressive about it and "accidently" stand in their way.

DizzKneeGeek
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
So...I have this resort mug...

DISNEY FIX
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I would wonder about the frequency this is done as well 5 times a day...?????That would start to be annoying to other guests.

KorieDWnut
01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
To answer the ettiquette part, I would say NO it is definitely NOT good ettiquette to do. While some people don't mind, it is not something I would call a good idea at all. And really, running for fast passes won't save you THAT much time waiting in line anyway, what, like 5-10 mins? Not worth it to me. You never know WHO you are going to tick off. Stuff happens but I wouldn't do it intentionally.

RllngRckBrw
01-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I would not have a problem with it because I understand the logic behind it, and I would hope that people are doing it just to catch up and not take advantage, but I dont do it myself because I see it as bad etiquette, because there are to many people that would exploit people's kindness if it became a common thing.

dobball23
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM

Would it be considered bad etiquette if I was to go get fast passes for an attraction while the rest of my family goes to the standby line. I then excuse my way through the stand-by line to catch up with my family?

Thoughts?

I think it is completely wrong and rude to cut in line at any time. Why should someone who went to go get a fast pass deserve to get in line in front of me, who has been waiting patiently. If that person would like to go on the attraction with the rest of his or her party, they should be considerate enough to wait. If not, then that person should get at the back of the line like everyone else who shows up.

sassyat30
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I can't speak for others, because some people are really tough about it, but for ME, I don't mind at ALL when it is one person, or like one person and a child. But when it is 2-3 teens and they are pushing their way through like they just totally have the right to plow past you, then I get miffed. I also get upset when there is ONE person in line and then a whole family catching up. One person, fine, 2 people...ehh..fine too. So long as you are polite about it I doubt I would give it much thought but like I said, when people just start charging their way through like you are in THEIR way...I get all passive aggressive about it and "accidently" stand in their way.

I can't tell you how many times we saw groups weaving their way through the line to meet up with one member towards the front! :furious: And most of you have a pretty good idea of how small the queu areas are to begin with.

It got to the point where my mantra was "I'm on vacation I'm on on vacation I'm on vacation" over and over. ;)

Seriously, people it's rude to cut the line.

ScarletFire
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Thoughts?

What's the hurry? Why can't your family wait for you while you get the fastpasses? It's just a matter of a few minutes.:confused3

TLSnell1981
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
PS-
Its not just one person.... if the idea gets popular its 1 person in each party times 75 parties

Good heavens! I have been going to WDW for years...I used to live in Orlando. I don't think the problem is any worse now than it was then...it hasn't escalated into a free for all. I think the problem is that people just don't have any tolerance for their fellow man. Chill...."it's the happiest place on earth."

Markstudy
01-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Good heavens! ...I don't think the problem is any worse now than it was then...it hasn't escalated into a free for all. ."

You do make an interesting point.

Out of 100 people... my guess is
-85 of those folks would never cut the line
-5 are jerks and will always try to cut
-10 might try to cheat if they think they can get away with it

Of the 85 who would never cut the line....
-85% won't say anything if people pass them in line
-14% will stand-up to the cutters (Me * included)
-and -1% might start a fight

I guess it is not something that catches-on (once it is exposed on the web) that most people don't mind- people cutting in front of them. Its more about the make-up and morals of the people at the park....which is actually very consistent over time.

TLSnell1981
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I bet the 85% number of people who would never cut line...is probably even higher than that.....more like 95% or maybe even higher. I believe that people are basically good. Especially in an atmosphere like WDW....where it's mostly sober people with families.

photobob
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm the designated fastpass runner. When I go to say Space Mtn (at opening when crowds are low) to get a FP and everyone else heads to Splash they go ahead and ride while I'm gone. Then we ride again when I get there bearing in mind that it is still a walk on. When however there are rides closer together I'll go while they take a bathroom break, but they wait until I get back. We never do the "go ahead and I'll catch up with you in line." The reason though is a courtesy to the member of the group that has gone to get the fastpasses not linebreaking etiquette. We just wouldn't consider getting in line until our entire party is there.

BelleChick
01-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I am pretty sure that Disney has the rule of not holding places in line. If that is true, the rule should be followed.

Finally08
01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Personally, I wouldn't care. If a herd of people are catching up to a few, then yeah that bugs me. But one or two? I don't care. I have kids...stuff happens, we could be in line and my dd need to pee...so what, everyone in my group should leave line and wait for me to get back with dd?

My dh uses the bathroom ALL the freakin' time...so I think we will often have him "catching up" to the rest of us already being in line, because he needed to go off course to find a potty. :laughing:

Tinkerbelle's Mom
01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
To answer the OP I do think that it is bad etiquette.

I love it when people tell me to chill out on vacation so they can break the rules!:rotfl2: My family always waits for th FP runner before entering a line. There are so many things you can do while the FP runner is gone. You can literally stop and smell the roses, catch a character interaction, grab a snack, use the restroom and so on and so on!

bobbiwoz
01-18-2008, 06:25 PM

This happened to us in the safari line. I have a friend with IBS and she had to go. Luckily, we saw a CM...led us to the stroller place, and told us to come back. We all went, we all came back. Nice CM but really there are emergencies.

Bobbi:goodvibes

LostRosetta
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
In terms of being the person standing in line, I have to agree with a lot of other people in that I would not care if it is one person or an adult with a child cutting the line to catch up with their party, any more people than that though and I start to get a bit annoyed.

I also have to add though that I am the fastpass runner for my family. On rides like Soariní, where the wait adds up quickly but the line moves slowly, my family will generally enter the line and then I will catch up to them once I have gotten the fastpasses. The line is fairly wide so it is not much of a problem and I am constantly apologizing if I bump into someone accidentally. I donít rush, but rather just calmly and slowly walk through the line and if someone asks I just say I need to catch up to my party. The entire time I did this last trip I only got a few dirty looks. Now, having said this, if there is a ride like Peter Pans Flight or something with a very thin line and one that moves rather quickly my family will just wait for me to get the passes and then we all go in.

So I guess in short, in my opinion one or two people is okay, but it also depends on the ride somewhat as well.

tjmw2727
01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I mean this in the most kind way to possibly put it: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. You are on vacation....relax a little and stop to smell the roses. Whether that means you have to wait a little extra in line or excuse a fellow human being for something out of control. We all (myself included) need to chill on vacation and just take it easy. It seems we have schedules to meet people to beat and such. The next time we go to WDW we are not going to use a schedule. We are just going to get up and go.

Now on the other hand if 20 people are cutting in line and being disrespectful then I think the cast members can figure that out and take care of the situation. But don't ruin vacation for your kids or other family by making a scene.

Dosen't it go both ways?

To us "chill out" means while I am getting FP's my family can get a drink, use the rest room or shop and then wait for me before entering the line for the next attraction. What will it take - an extra 10 minutes before we can enter the line together to ride?

So, no while I am there at Disney, letting a person pass me now and then to catch up dosen't bother me. But when asked a question like do you think its ok - I have to answer no I don't.

TJ

Super
01-18-2008, 07:15 PM
ooooh if you're not in the line to begin with then you're cutting it! As long as you're say, one member from a party of 4 or more, and you've just had to use the loo. Then that's possibly Okay.

When I've been asked to 'reserve' a spot in a line for my family I always say no, and just stay in the same line as another person. I think it's horridly rude

Allegro
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
You do make an interesting point.

-10 might try to cheat if they think they can get away with it

-14% will stand-up to the cutters (Me * included)

I guess it is not something that catches-on (once it is exposed on the web) that most people don't mind- people cutting in front of them. Its more about the make-up and morals of the people at the park....which is actually very consistent over time.

I would re-order that:

-10 aren't planning on cheating anyone and are just trying to get through their day unaware that they are bothering anyone.

-10% will let it go but be privately annoyed
- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life because there are far more important things on this planet to get worked up about

All that said I wouldn't cut in line but don't think that people who do are morally deficient in anyway.

DizzKneeGeek
01-18-2008, 07:54 PM
- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life because there are far more important things on this planet to get worked up aboutso when somebody cuts me in line, and i say something about it, that makes me a jerk? did i read that right? is that actually what you are saying? please tell me i read that wrong. please.
i am to let others impede on my vacation time so that they can go and do as they please without ramifications? im a seriously easy going guy but i learned in like kindergarten how to properly stand in a line and wait my turn.

me me me me me me me me me me me me me. <--the problem with this world.

TLSnell1981
01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
me me me me me me me me me me me me me. <--the problem with this world.

I agree!!!

EeyoreFan1
01-18-2008, 08:15 PM
This is a very heated question on the boards and alot of opinions have been given. From what I have seen, the majority of Dissers would say yes, it is bad "etiquette". Don't get us started on pool hopping, strollers, and smoking!;)

You forgot refillable mugs, too!

;)

------

No, I don't think you should cut in line, especially if you're going to get fastpasss or something you could possibly wait until after the ride/attraction to do.
I don't think I'd say anything to anyone cutting in line, IF-

I saw their family/party ahead
If they were EXTREMELY polite about it

Mariposa
01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't let people by me in line. So, yeah, do it if you want- but be aware that there are people who won't just be annoyed, but who may stop you entirely.

DizzKneeGeek
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't let people by me in line. So, yeah, do it if you want- but be aware that there are people who won't just be annoyed, but who may stop you entirely.remember though...there are some on thses boards that will think you a jerk. they think you should just lie down, roll over and let them on by in the name of "chill out" and "youre on vacation, dont worry about it"

Unseen-Unheard
01-18-2008, 09:35 PM
i'll admit it i'm a jerk!
Paul

Amyg
01-18-2008, 09:56 PM

One person trying to get to their family or even an adult with a very young child doesn't bother me but you just never know how UN-Disneylike some visitors can get. You would think that you're at Disney so why let the small stuff control your emotions? :confused3

Macca1111
01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
It is bad etiquette. Period.

LilyWDW
01-18-2008, 10:07 PM
It is bad etiquette. Period.

::yes::

fan1080
01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the honest answers folks, and keeping the emotions in check on what turned out to be a very sensitive topic indeed. In fact, I probably shouldn't have asked the question, but I do think it was worth some discussion.

For the record, I wasn't asking so I could do this. I asked because while waiting for Soarin last July we experienced a number of people making their way through the standby line (at least 6 over a 90 minute wait). I didn't mind the first time it happened, but it started to get annoying after while.

We even had a few groups of two sneaking ahead of the crowd as most of us played the games while in line. I can understand why people want to speed things up, but doing so at the expense of others didn't seem right. There was even a young child that ran quite a ways ahead of her mom on the walk in to Soarin through the long walk way, and called her mom forward once we all reached the back of the line. Mom, excused herself by about 20 people to catch up to her daughter. I wouldn't allow my daughters to run through the crowd like that, and I certainly wouldn't excuse my way up to them if they got away from me, they would be called back to where I am.

Again, thanks for the honest, civil discussion.

Cheers....... 22 days until WDW!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :banana: :cool1:

SnoWhiteRabbit
01-19-2008, 07:59 AM
One person, no big deal - could've been a much needed restroom break, drink of water, phone call, fastpass - I don't care. You would get my OK.

Same here, I'm on vacation, why would I let me self get so upset about something like this....

kaytieeldr
01-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I mean this in the most kind way to possibly put it: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. You are on vacation....relax a little and stop to smell the roses. Whether that means you have to wait a little extra in line or excuse a fellow human being for something out of control. Um, not disagreeing with you, but I am curious - what would there be about getting FastPasses that could equate to 'something out of control'? :teeth: I mean, that's an action/goal that is entirely IN the control of the Guest.

Thoughts? Okay, you asked... this is my GENERAL opinion and should not reflect in ANY way on the OP: Given the exact situation described - I'm not sure how long people thinks it takes to get FastPasses for a given attraction, that would indicate the rest of the party should enter the standby line and that person catch up. It's the same attraction; the question doesn't seem to be about FastPass "running" (i.e. sending everyone over to Rock 'N Roller Coaster while one person gets FastPasses for Tower of Terror). The FastPass distribution areas are adjacent to the attraction entrances; I don't think it's unreasonable for the majority of the group to wait near - but outside - the entrance until the FastPass person catches up with them. It'd be a delay of what, one to five minutes?

caroline1851
01-19-2008, 08:16 AM

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with your whole family saving a spot in line for you.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong with a parent and older child waiting in line and saving the spot for the other parent and toddler to catch up with them.

Free2BMe
01-19-2008, 08:46 AM
On the same topic, what is the ettiquette for medical issuses? My 2 year old dd has a serious heart condition and is prone to anxiety attacks in crowds - not a good combination (heart races uncontrollably). I was planning on letting my husband and son wait in line while I found a spot outside of line (not stuck in the crowd) and catch up with them in line. Now I see that this might not work. Is there a bracelet or anything for medical issues. It's not that I want to go to the front, I'd wait the same amount of time. I just would rather not have my dd have a heart attack at WDW. Actually, I'm sure no one in line with us would like that either. Oh and yes, I'm aware WDW is full of crowds, but outside of line we can take her to a quiet place and calm her down. In the lines we have a problem.

LVSWL
01-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Line cutting can be a very sore subject on these boards.

In general, most people here (myself included) tend to feel that cutting into a line that you were not previously in is poor etiquette. If you want to be seated with the rest of your party, then the entire party should wait and enter the line together. Otherwise, the fast pass runner should use the single rider line (where available)--or skip that ride entirely--and meet back up with your party after you exit.

This is a different situation than someone who enters the line with their party, then needs to exit--to take a young child to the restroom, for example. I have no issue with allowing them to re-enter the line to rejoin their party. Key difference being that 1) they did enter the line with their party originally, and 2) leaving the line temporarily was due to a genuine need, and not something done for mere convenience (like running for fast passes).

My family does use the 'fastpass runner' approach at times. It is faster than dragging everyone back and forth across the parks, just to grab the next fastpass. But we always either wait by the entrance to the queue, or go do something else, until the runner returns. Then we enter the line together for those rides/attractions we wish to experience together. Works well for us, and we don't have to worry about ruffling any feathers by attempting to cut in line.
:thumbsup2 Well put! This is what we do also.

Sleeping Becca
01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
On the same topic, what is the ettiquette for medical issuses? My 2 year old dd has a serious heart condition and is prone to anxiety attacks in crowds - not a good combination (heart races uncontrollably). I was planning on letting my husband and son wait in line while I found a spot outside of line (not stuck in the crowd) and catch up with them in line. Now I see that this might not work. Is there a bracelet or anything for medical issues. It's not that I want to go to the front, I'd wait the same amount of time. I just would rather not have my dd have a heart attack at WDW. Actually, I'm sure no one in line with us would like that either. Oh and yes, I'm aware WDW is full of crowds, but outside of line we can take her to a quiet place and calm her down. In the lines we have a problem.
Go to Guest Relations and tell them about your situation and they will give you a special pass for your family to use so you don't have to wait in the main line. You and your family (up to 5 total) will be able to use the handicap entrance.

Good Luck and God Bless

Markstudy
01-19-2008, 09:55 AM
I would re-order that:

- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life

-1% might start a fight.

I like the way you re-ordered my example. Nice job, But..

The 5% that you said will stand-up and be a jerk... needs a little softening.

When someone tries to cut in front of me- Here's what I do-

"sir I will not let you pass, I am waiting in line like everyone else. If you have a problem, please go get a cast member and tell him why you need to get to the front of the line. If you have a legitimate reason I'm sure the staff will help you"

Funny, but that ends it right there! :confused3 Pretty simple pixiedust:

kaytieeldr
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
On the same topic, what is the ettiquette for medical issuses? My 2 year old dd has a serious heart condition and is prone to anxiety attacks in crowds - not a good combination (heart races uncontrollably). I was planning on letting my husband and son wait in line while I found a spot outside of line (not stuck in the crowd) and catch up with them in line Go to Guest Relations and tell them about your situation and they will give you a special pass for your family to use so you don't have to wait in the main line. You and your family (up to 5 total) will be able to use the handicap entrance. Whenever possible, there ARE no 'handicap' entrances for Disney rides and attractions. As much as possible, the lines are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs - so everybody waits in the same line for the same amount of time.

Free2BMe - Yes, go to Guest Relations at any park (City Hall at the Magic Kingdom) with your daughter, and explain her needs - not her condition/diagnosis - to the Cast Member. Most likely, especially given her age, you should be allowed to do "stroller as wheelchair", keeping your daughter in the stroller through the entire queue. You might also want to practice a form of 'barrier-waiting', where your DH stands a couple of feet ahead of her and you behind the stroller - creating sort of a buffer area.

mattsdragon
01-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Can I have my family go pool hopping while I'm getting the fastpass?

Yet again, this horse is dead and buried and we must continue beating it.

MichelleVW
01-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I really don't understand the "you're on vacation so don't get upset if people cut in front of you" train of thought...:confused3

No, it's not going to ruin my vacation, but to enter a line which you were NOT PREVIOUSLY a member of....is RUDE, plain and simple....

So much of the "Me" generation at work here....:sad2:

mattsdragon
01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
annoyed
- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life because there are far more important things on this planet to get worked up about

So, everyone who stands up to line cutters is a jerk that needs to get a life, regardless of the behavior of the people who are cutting the line.

Therefore, by your logic, I must think that all Canadians are just overly opinionated ignoramuses.

Or maybe they aren't, and maybe narrow-mindedness is something we should all try to remove from our own lives. It takes two to tango.

Toot Sweet
01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
It wouldn't bother me. Especially if it were just one person. I have no idea what a person's reason was for being late to join the rest of their party in line. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom or something. Who cares? It's just not worth getting upset about.

Markstudy
01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
It's just not worth getting upset about.

I don't get upset or emotional about simply saying-

"sir I will not let you pass, I am waiting in line like everyone else. If you have a problem, please go get a cast member and tell him why you need to get to the front of the line. If you have a legitimate reason I'm sure the staff will help you"

MichelleVW
01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
It wouldn't bother me. Especially if it were just one person. I have no idea what a person's reason was for being late to join the rest of their party in line. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom or something. Who cares? It's just not worth getting upset about.

This really isn't that hard....I have to go to the bathroom all the dang time....so my family WAITS for me before they enter the line....

Toot Sweet
01-19-2008, 10:45 AM

This really isn't that hard....I have to go to the bathroom all the dang time....so my family WAITS for me before they enter the line....

We all gotta do what works for us. If Markstudy wants to tell someone he will not let them pass, and if MichelleVW wants to wait till her whole party is together before entering the line, go for it.

I'm just saying that for me, I just don't really care if someone joins their party late. I'll let them by no problem. It just doesn't bother me.

Sleeping Becca
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Whenever possible, there ARE no 'handicap' entrances for Disney rides and attractions. As much as possible, the lines are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs - so everybody waits in the same line for the same amount of time.

Yes, this is true for most parks. For most MK attractions there is still a handicap entrance or in some attractions a separate waiting area. At guest relations they will give you a brochure describing where to go and what to do for each attraction. Of course you can always ask a cast member working the attraction what to do and where to go.

CMs are very nice and accomodating, even though the disability is not outwardly visable, I can't say the same for the other folks in line with you. Some of them can be real jerks.

hollierae
01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I am our FP runner and my husband will either take our son to the bathroom or go and look around at things. They wait to get in line once I get back.

happygirl
01-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I get annoyed, but Im the type to give you a dirty look as you pass by

Finally08
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
We all gotta do what works for us. If Markstudy wants to tell someone he will not let them pass, and if MichelleVW wants to wait till her whole party is together before entering the line, go for it.

I'm just saying that for me, I just don't really care if someone joins their party late. I'll let them by no problem. It just doesn't bother me.

Ditto.

I am about the last person you would ever see doing anything rude, I am just oozing with southern hospitality when it comes to dealing with strangers. :laughing: And I am not a confrontational person, so yes, even if someone tried to cut me I would not say anything about it. I might subtly try to block them, but there have been many times in life that people got by me...and I got over it. I won't raise a stink about someone else being rude.

BUT, it never even so much as occured to me to think that a person catching up to their party was equal to a "line cutter"...I just never even thought of it that way. When I think cutting line, I think people just doing it on their own to get ahead, or maybe the annoying groups of 3 or 4 who "catch up" to friends or family, when really they weren't catching up...they had been doing something else, noticed the family/friends there ahead in line and selfishly thought to join them instead of waiting. A mom or dad straggling behind with a slower little one trying to join their party, does not seem like they are cutting line. I don't think they walk up to the line thinking "I'm going to be a jerk and fly past all these people who waited because I'm special..." but instead they are just catching up.
I wonder how many innocent moms or dads or little ones have had rude encounters with people who acted like they were criminals when they didn't even realize they did something "wrong?"

Some of us don't get to go to WDW yearly, or multiple times a year, so we don't know about this type of "ride ettiquette." But I've waited for my dh to catch up or come back from the bathroom in lines at the movies, the grocery store, and so on, and never thought twice we were doing anything rude.

Sleeping~Beauty
01-19-2008, 11:06 AM

With a heart condition, there may be accomodations. Definitely check that out. There is an entire board of great advice on the Dis that can provide up-to-date info on the subject.

Markstudy, I'd want to hug you! ;)

Toot Sweet
01-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Ditto.

I am about the last person you would ever see doing anything rude, I am just oozing with southern hospitality when it comes to dealing with strangers. :laughing: And I am not a confrontational person, so yes, even if someone tried to cut me I would not say anything about it. I might subtly try to block them, but there have been many times in life that people got by me...and I got over it. I won't raise a stink about someone else being rude.

BUT, it never even so much as occured to me to think that a person catching up to their party was equal to a "line cutter"...I just never even thought of it that way. When I think cutting line, I think people just doing it on their own to get ahead, or maybe the annoying groups of 3 or 4 who "catch up" to friends or family, when really they weren't catching up...they had been doing something else, noticed the family/friends there ahead in line and selfishly thought to join them instead of waiting. A mom or dad straggling behind with a slower little one trying to join their party, does not seem like they are cutting line. I don't think they walk up to the line thinking "I'm going to be a jerk and fly past all these people who waited because I'm special..." but instead they are just catching up.
I wonder how many innocent moms or dads or little ones have had rude encounters with people who acted like they were criminals when they didn't even realize they did something "wrong?"

Some of us don't get to go to WDW yearly, or multiple times a year, so we don't know about this type of "ride ettiquette." But I've waited for my dh to catch up or come back from the bathroom in lines at the movies, the grocery store, and so on, and never thought twice we were doing anything rude.

Exactly! If I know someone is cutting, I will (and have) say something. That ain't cool.

But catching up to their party does not make someone a line jumper in my book.

cindyfan
01-19-2008, 11:11 AM

ITA!!!!!!!!!
Another thing ..... if the line is still outside the main que... like for Space Mtn. if the line is still outside and like stretches towards the Ostro Orbiter... that would be fine with me....
But to have to squeeze your way all the way up front.... uh, NO-NO.

mickeyfan2
01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Pee before getting in line.
Get your fastpass for the next ride before getting in line.
Get your drink before getting in line.

If a small kid is in line and obviously has to use the restroom, then one parent and that kid can leave, use the restroom and return. OK

ETA: If you want to ride with the family and have to join them later, what we do is the person in line moves to the side and lets others pass and when they other member joins them they go on the ride together.

Tess'smom
01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
My feeling is that you are vacationing together as a family. We wait for anyone who has to use the bathroom. We get our fastpasses together. We get a snack together. We get in line together. Why rush? How many more attractions are you going to see by sending your family in front of you? Trying to get passed a number of people in line to catch up with your group is stressful for everyone. No thank you.

scheddj
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Cutting in line is rude anywhere, not just Disney World. Are there truly people who did not get taught this when they were a kid?

You are right there are people who have legitimate dis-abilities that may not allow them to wait like everyone else. They go to Guest Services and get their cards to allow them special accommodations.

While I won't say anything to someone with a small child who had to use the restroom, that truly shouldn't be necessary either. When one of my daughters was 4 she had to use the restroom after about 10 minutes in line (not at DW). The whole family left the line while she and I found a restroom and then we all went to the end of the line to start our wait all over again. Because she (and the rest of us) were inconvenienced, it made a big impression on her and we never had to leave a line to use the bathroom again.

EnchantedTales
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Thank You for saying that. I don't know what I would give to have people "Chill out" like you say. Honestly the people I have met that have one of the best times in the park are those that just go with the flow and "Chill Out". Wow, those folks really do make your day.

To answer the question. Now, most people that 'cut' the line are either alone or with a bunch of kids and if you guess it's because they had to use the bathroom, then you guess it right. Bathroom issues, count for over 90% of the people that either get out of line and have some one hold their place or join the family later. There is a huge variety of reasons why people do this and I would say that over 80 percent of that 90 percentile by the time, they ask you for the bathroom they are almost ready to do it on themselves. That includes adults. Interesting little piece is that IMO, almost everybody sound embarrassed to either ask for it or to even show that they had to go. Folks, we all go; I don't see what's the problem.

Just in case anyone wonders the reasons for the other 10% it varies and some of them are just too personal of those folks that I wished not to touched upon them, since there is no necessity. Honestly the amount of people that do this because of 'going to do a ride', 'getting a fastpass' or any trivial reason is rather small. The thing is that those are the ones that you remember the most.

As for the OP question if it's rude, here is my humble opinion. I think it's always rude to cut a line. However if you have an emergency (like going to the bathroom, baby issues, etc) and you need to get out of line and someone remains there. Dude, when you get back I'm not going to give you a hard time. I mean honestly most folks would extend me the same courtesy; so why not chill out and let the person go do his stuff and let them pass when he comes back.

Here is something that I always do, when I have to cut a line. This not only to cut some bad feelings, but also out of respect of those of you that had the blessing to calmly remain on the line, while I had to go like a mad person looking for a bathroom. If I cut in line I usually go around 'Excuse, I'm sorry, could I please join my family." No need to give details because I'm usually only one or I have little ones with me. Most people don't need an explanation for why I'm I doing it. You do encounter folks however, that not only that give you a hard time, but also want an explanation... I'll take the 5th on those situations.

Now if you are a group of 20, then you'll need something called organization. One: the lines are designed to hold folks standing one after the other. If 20 folks come in then you are a) Not standing in line, because the lines would only fit one person at a time and the line is probably backed out and, b) Being rude. Two: Cast members are not counting 20 people with you because, guess what? They can't see them. By cutting the line you are literally messing up with the way their operations go, which eventually comes back to hunt you. So if you are a group of 20, I'm afraid that you'll need to organize yourselves better. Stand all in the line and don't send just one, because others are doing a 'ride'. It's not only rude it clearly shows a lack of organization, respect for others and disregard for the rules. I don't hold against you if you have to go to the bathroom or if you have any other emergency but cutting on the sole purpose of not wanting to do the line just shows an abysmal lack of manners.

Just a heads up, that if indeed the person did have a legitimate reason most cast members will indeed put the person where his family is or will find a way to accommodate them, if the situation allows them to do so. There is no reason for cast members to punish anyone for a legitimate reason. The same courtesy that I'm extending to that person; I will extend it to you, if in need of it.

TLSnell1981
01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
What has happened to this world? Only people who have bladders like camels can predict when they must use the facilities. If you have or have ever had kids....you can take them and five minutes later go again. As far as asking for special cards for special needs....how ridiculous for everyone with IBS or a bladder condition to ask for that.

If it really irrates you that much for someone to rejoin their family.....you must be in need of a reeaallyyy long vacation. I doubt seriously it will affect your wait time at all.

Chill out.

Sleeping~Beauty
01-19-2008, 12:25 PM
People are answering (for the most part) the OP's question of Fastpass runners. I think the bathroom issues are really for another topic.

Toot Sweet
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
People are answering (for the most part) the OP's question of Fastpass runners. I think the bathroom issues are really for another topic.

The point is, people in line don't know why a person is bypassing them. They don't come thru announcing their reason for coming through. Since we can't know the reason they are doing it, why not just give them the benefit of the doubt? I have NEVER seen anyone get mad and not let a person pass who was coming through to rejoin their family.

darlak
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Cutting in line is rude anywhere, not just Disney World. Are there truly people who did not get taught this when they were a kid?

You are right there are people who have legitimate dis-abilities that may not allow them to wait like everyone else. They go to Guest Services and get their cards to allow them special accommodations.

While I won't say anything to someone with a small child who had to use the restroom, that truly shouldn't be necessary either. When one of my daughters was 4 she had to use the restroom after about 10 minutes in line (not at DW). The whole family left the line while she and I found a restroom and then we all went to the end of the line to start our wait all over again. Because she (and the rest of us) were inconvenienced, it made a big impression on her and we never had to leave a line to use the bathroom again.

I agree! I have 4 kids and we've never left the line for a potty break and then rejoined our party. We always left together and then reentered the line at the end together.

We have no way of knowing why someone is rejoining/cutting, but in my opinion, any reason is unacceptable. I do usually let them though if it's just one person or one adult and one small child. If it's a parent and a small child, I assume it was for a potty break. As I said, I let them cut in front of me, but mentally, I'm "tsk-tsking" at the lesson that child is learning. If it's two or more older children or adults, I don't let them pass me.

Free2BMe
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my "medical needs" question.

Here is Ms. Manners take. (Even if it isn't quite the same situation.) sorry I don't know how to post a link

"lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5630275"

maxiesmom
01-19-2008, 01:34 PM
We have no way of knowing why someone is rejoining/cutting, but in my opinion, any reason is unacceptable. I do usually let them though if it's just one person or one adult and one small child. If it's a parent and a small child, I assume it was for a potty break. As I said, I let them cut in front of me, but mentally, I'm "tsk-tsking" at the lesson that child is learning. If it's two or more older children or adults, I don't let them pass me.

Sorry, but I don't agree with making a small child feel guilty that they have to potty. What kind of lesson is that teaching them? I know that as an adult I can go, and then have to go again 10 minutes later. Sometimes stuff happens. Why get so worked up about it?

Del
01-19-2008, 02:21 PM
:) I honestly don't care if one person rejoins their group for whatever reason.....potty, fastpass, left my bag somewhere....etc.. It's the group of 10 that would be rude to me.

We're all on vacation and it's Disney!

Del

DizzKneeGeek
01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
right. the above quote seems to sum this thread up. there are really two different debates going on here:

1. people who were in line, left the line with family members still in the line and then returning....no big deal.

2. mom and little johnny getting in line while daddy runs to get fast passes for an attraction...not nice and teaching the child that they are more important the the other people around them(a seriously disturbing trend in society these days).

MichelleVW
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
right. the above quote seems to sum this thread up. there are really two different debates going on here:

1. people who were in line, left the line with family members still in the line and then returning....no big deal.

2. mom and little johnny getting in line while daddy runs to get fast passes for an attraction...not nice and teaching the child that they are more important the the other people around them(a seriously disturbing trend in society these days).

AGREED!!!

mickeymom629
01-19-2008, 03:34 PM
If we all want to see the attraction together, and it's time to get fastpasses, we all get them together (only 1 wait in the FP line) or the rest just wait at the next attraction. I am a wimp, so I usually get the fp's while my family goes on something that I don't want to anyway. I don't think any of us has cut in front of a line to be with our group, and certainly not because we were getting fp's, which can be done anytime.

Sometimes as we six are just getting into a line, a group of people might cut right in between us. We feel funny rejoining our party, and usually the ones in the front come back to be with the others who got "cut off". In lines, such as for Muppets 3D, where we know we will rejoin our group in the big room, we don't make an issue of this.

I let people through who say they are catching up with their group, but I am hoping they are telling the truth, especially if there is more than one.

We try to avoid lines as much as possible, anyway.

kaytieeldr
01-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Respectfully, not exactly :teeth:
The OP's question isn't about FastPass running, although that's the way most of the DISers who haven't strayed off to the wider theory are responding.

As far as I can tell, the OP wants to know if it's an etiquette breach to get FastPasses for his/her entire party for any single attraction while the rest of the party gets in the standby line for that attraction, then move past Guests who've gotten in line behind that party.

I applaud the OP for asking. Given the specific question, I'm not sure if some people realize the FastPass distribution machines are adjacent TO the attraction entrances; that there wouldn't be any appreciable wait-time difference (e.g. a minute or two) for the bulk of the party to wait outside the attraction line entrance, for the FastPass fetcher to catch up with them.

But I DO agree with your assessment about the larger, general issue being the topic for another thread - I'm guessing somebody's already started it? :)

darlak
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Sorry, but I don't agree with making a small child feel guilty that they have to potty. What kind of lesson is that teaching them? I know that as an adult I can go, and then have to go again 10 minutes later. Sometimes stuff happens. Why get so worked up about it?

I suppose there really isn't any way to take except as an insult to my parenting abilities. Luckily, I'm confident enough not to be too thin skinned, since I either have or still am raising 4 children. I also realize that as we are all individuals, we of course, will also have different parenting styles. My personal style is to teach my children that they are no more important than anyone else and are expected to do mundane things like wait in line...but each to their own. ;)

As I said in my previous post, I do allow them to cut in line ahead of me when they come back from wherever, as long as it isn't a group.

maxiesmom
01-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I suppose there really isn't any way to take except as an insult to my parenting abilities. Luckily, I'm confident enough not to be too thin skinned, since I either have or still am raising 4 children. I also realize that as we are all individuals, we of course, will also have different parenting styles. My personal style is to teach my children that they are no more important than anyone else and are expected to do mundane things like wait in line...but each to their own. ;)

As I said in my previous post, I do allow them to cut in line ahead of me when they come back from wherever, as long as it isn't a group.

And you also stated that you were "mentally tsk-tsking at the lesson that child is learning". So you let people by, but are really being very judgemental. Taking a child for an emergency potty-break will not make them have some sort of superiority complex. If it makes you feel that you are a better parent to pull your whole family out of line because one child needs to use a bathroom, then go for it. I think most parents would be a little more understanding of a true bathroom emergency, and not be so judgemental.

Markstudy
01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
The Real story :teacher:

So Disney makes the fast pass to help limit your waiting time.

So what do people do??? they try to exploit two weakness in the system to SAVE
EVEN MORE TIME :rotfl2: (not happy enough that FP is saving them time to begin with)

Type 1 DAD GETS UP EARLY AND GOES TO EPCOT while darling family enjoys breakfast at Cape May (how nice!). DAD is next seen screaming at poor cast member about why his
5 tickets won't work in the fast pass machine:headache: :mad:

Answer- because the 4 tickets weren't activated when only yourself used 1 ticket to get in the gate to Epcot. (all 5 people have to pass through the gate each day to activate ticket before it will work in fast pass machines)

Type 2 DAD RUNS TO GET FAST PASSES WHILE REST OF FAMILY GETS a head-start in line. Dad returns and cuts everyone who is playing by the rules.

Answer- Disney could require a finger print scan at each fast pass machine for each member of the party, so that like the Park Entrances ... each person must be in attendance to use the nice perk called fast pass.
(Won't Happen, but it would stop the OP's original question on this thread)

Type 1 Dad is cheating the fast pass system, and not getting away with it :thumbsup2

Type 2 Dad is also cheating the fast pass system which is built to save you time....but not at the expenses of families who got in line together (because they wanted to ride together)

So type 2 Dad is breaking the spirit of the law, but feels its OK because he doesn't get caught or pay a penalty.... only has to cause small amount of grief for all others in line :rainbow: FIGURES TO HIMSELF- "NO PROBLEM, I CAN LIVE WITH THAT...they are suckers for not thinking of the same trick" :scared: Justifies behavior by thinking- time is more important to Me and my family, than the majority of people that are waiting in line the proper way.

nala'smom
01-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I know that the "medical issues" part of the discussion is off topic. But I think people have brought it up for a very good reason. When you give an individual a dirty look (or do not allow them to get through), how do you know if they are a coming from getting a fast pass or coming from the bathroom? It's a scary thought for those of us who have medical issues. After reading this thread, I will definitely go to guest services and see what accomodations can be made. However, I feel sad for the other people in my position who have never read these boards.

Markstudy
01-20-2008, 09:01 AM
how do you know if they are a coming from getting a fast pass or coming from the bathroom? It's a scary thought for those of us who have medical issues.

Good Question

The person trying to move forward, is asking each person in line to make a judgment about letting them by. (That's why its frustrating to all the people in the line...they don't know why you are moving forward)

I don't work for Disney so I don't feel I have the power to make that call.

I ask them to please explain their reason for moving to the front of a line to a Disney Cast Member and he will take the proper action.

The line cutter is asking you to make a judgment, I am tossing the ball back in their lap, by telling them that they need to get that judgment from a Disney professional.

If the person has a real issue they are happy with this response, if they are trying to skirt the letter of the rules, they don't like my suggestion at all :wizard:

goodferry
01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
The Real story :teacher:

So type 2 Dad is breaking the spirit of the law, but feels its OK because he doesn't get caught or pay a penalty.... only has to cause small amount of grief for all others in line :rainbow: FIGURES TO HIMSELF- "NO PROBLEM, I CAN LIVE WITH THAT...they are suckers for not thinking of the same trick" :scared: Justifies behavior by thinking- time is more important to Me and my family, than the majority of people that are waiting in line the proper way.

OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family, but what if he just meets up with them, doesn't jump into line with them? Is that still wrong and why?

Markstudy
01-20-2008, 09:22 AM
OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family, but what if he just meets up with them, doesn't jump into line with them? Is that still wrong and why?

Nope! You are correct. I was only writing towards the topic of this thread- "line cutting after running for fast passes"

Sending a fast pass runner, while the rest of the family waits to join the next ride together is a fantastic idea. (they can shop, bathroom break, eat...that's what fast pass was made for!!!)

I'm glad I'm not a professional writer. So many angles to think of before you try to write out a idea .... Sorry

I'm just enjoying the pure logic of the debate at the moment. (not trying to be too harsh) just making counter points to the arguments that are coming up

kaytieeldr
01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family But that is EXACTLY the issue Markstudy is addressing.
We are not talking about FastPass runners - dad running ahead to get FastPasses for everyone. That was NOT the original question.
We are - or should be, based on the OP's specific questions - addressing the family who gets in the standby line for, say, Expedition Everest while dad gets them FastPasses for... Expedition Everest, then joins the rest of the family already in line - cutting past other Guests.

klam_chowder
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
What really bothers me is the MANNER in which most people "catch up". They don't seem to understand that one is supposed to say, "Excuse me" wait for the other guest to move out of their way, and THEN proceed ahead.

They just pretend saying, "Excuse me" makes them polite so they say it as they bash their way past you. :headache: I'm shorter than average and hate it when I get elbows and daypacks bouncing off my head and shoulders.

Guests stand in line pretty close together; I hope those "catching up" are intelligent enough to notice that they will not fit thru the 12" gap without bumping into someone! :rotfl2:

I just wish they had the courtesty when doing it. I always let people by - I'm not trying to block them, usually I'm just enjoying the immediate surrounding (like looking at the pre-ride exhibit, chatting with DH, etc.).

End of rant.

cheers,
:flower3:

LVSWL
01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I guess we could debate the pros and cons of all of this all day. I have mixed feelings about each type of line cutter based on how many times it has happened to our family. The most frustrating time was when two teenage boys started at the back of the line and gradually moved forward saying "excuse me..we need to join our family". We watched them work their way through the standby line at Expedition Everest to just outside the building until one man with his family said no. Their "family" was standing outside the ropes saying "hurry up", we want to make the Lion King show". After each family that they passed they seemed to snicker to each other, and many times would try to pass on the sly as people stood waiting patiently. We watched these kids and I thought how sad that the parents were "encouraging" them to do this.:sad2:

darlak
01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
And you also stated that you were "mentally tsk-tsking at the lesson that child is learning". So you let people by, but are really being very judgemental. Taking a child for an emergency potty-break will not make them have some sort of superiority complex. If it makes you feel that you are a better parent to pull your whole family out of line because one child needs to use a bathroom, then go for it. I think most parents would be a little more understanding of a true bathroom emergency, and not be so judgemental.

As a mother of 4, I understand bathroom emergencies, I just donít think that those issues should impact everyone else. I also donít want to teach my children that they are so special that they donít need to play by the rules.

As for being judgmental, of course I am. We all make judgment calls everyday, itís human nature. Youíve made a judgment about me based on my opinion of this issue. That judgment may or may not extend to your overall opinion of me. I have also made a judgment about your stand on this issue, only on this one issue though. I realize that the politically correct thing to say now is that you arenít judgmental. Itís bogus though, since we all live our lives everyday making judgment calls about other people.

So, back to the issue at hand. Yes, Iím mentally making a judgment about that parent who is teaching their child that they are above the rules that the rest of us follow. As previously stated though,, itís ďmental tsk-tskingĒ only.

toocherie
01-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Wow! You've done this and not had an altercation? I don't think I would have the guts to do this (but I admire you for doing it!)

I have to admit--I'm starting to get nervous about the attitude of people at WDW--I live near (and go often to) DLR and maybe I'm just oblivious, but haven't noticed these types of issues there. Once in a while one or two people might try to "catch up" to family members in line, but that's about it. (Although I have seen some people who when the line snakes try to get one or two people ahead--why? will getting ahead of two people really make that much difference?)

For those that have been to both WDW and DLR, have you noticed a difference in line-cutting frequency?

2infinityandbeyond
01-20-2008, 02:41 PM
There is a very simple solution for FP runners. When you are deciding when to go get FP's, do so at a time when the rest of your family is doing something that you don't mind missing. You get your FP's, come back and meet your family at the ride exit.

Gymbomom
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I think it is completely wrong and rude to cut in line at any time. Why should someone who went to go get a fast pass deserve to get in line in front of me, who has been waiting patiently. If that person would like to go on the attraction with the rest of his or her party, they should be considerate enough to wait. If not, then that person should get at the back of the line like everyone else who shows up.

ITA......

Our family waits until we can all enter together, but we should let others pass??
And how much time are you really saving??:confused3
I have to say if I toured like that, I would not be very happy to be so rushed.

OceanGdss
01-20-2008, 04:09 PM
For those that have been to both WDW and DLR, have you noticed a difference in line-cutting frequency?

DF and I frequent WDW every month and just returned from DLR. I have to say, honestly, in 20+ years of going to the parks, I have never seen this as an "issue". Its happened to us, yes, but I can probably count the times on my fingers, maybe include my toes. :confused3 It isn't anymore a problem at WDW than it was for us at DLR. Honestly. It may happen once, but its not an issue for us. I'm sorry to those that this seems to happen so often to for this huge debate, but in response to the WDW vs DLR...no...if you enjoy the lines/line etiquette at DLR, you will notice no difference at WDW in MHO. :thumbsup2 At the end of the day..after spending 10+ hours enjoying the parks...are you really thinking of the one or two people who stepped ahead in line? :wizard:

Dr.Girlfriend
01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Sleeping Becca
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
But that is EXACTLY the issue Markstudy is addressing.
We are not talking about FastPass runners - dad running ahead to get FastPasses for everyone. That was NOT the original question.
We are - or should be, based on the OP's specific questions - addressing the family who gets in the standby line for, say, Expedition Everest while dad gets them FastPasses for... Expedition Everest, then joins the rest of the family already in line - cutting past other Guests.
I don't think a majority of fastpass users, get fastpass for their family for rides they are waiting in the standby line. What's the point??? Only if you are planning to ride twice. This would only be feasable for early AM when the standby line is still reasonable and would only be once. If this were afternoon or late morning, and the standby line is reasonable, then you dont' need a fastpass anyway. The OP is referring to a fastpass runner, going across the park to get a fastpass while the rest of the party gets in line for another attraction and then meeting up with them in the line. Like a family is waiting for Buzz and the runner goes to Splash to get fastpasses, not the family waiting for Buzz and the fastpass runner getting fastpasses for Buzz.

kaytieeldr
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't think a majority of fastpass users, get fastpass for their family for rides they are waiting in the standby line. What's the point??? Two things - first, yes, the point behind getting a FastPass for a ride whose standby line you're about to enter would typically be done to speed up a second ride on that same attraction (I once rode Soarin' Over California [at DCA] six times in a row this way - get a FastPass, get in the standby line, exit, get a FastPass, use first FastPass, exit, get a FastPass, use second FastPass... :teeth: )
But more to the point - the OP asked Would it be considered bad etiquette if I was to go get fast passes for an attraction while the rest of my family goes to the standby line. I then excuse my way through the stand-by line to catch up with my family?
So that's the question I'm answering :)

DISNEY4TROY
04-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, IMO one person doesnt have much of aneffect on a ride wait time, lol. If your family is difficult tto get to ie:near the end of the line and in some kind of tunnel..lol I`d say no because you may not get to them in time..and then what lol...

Sometimes on the otherhand, you will get the people frustrated and angry because they don`t know why you are cutting in line... ie: bathroom break vs. trying to pass ppl in line(which is obviously a little silly)...

See when I had my 9 month old in a snuggly and already in line, I had to make an emergency break for the washroom for a diaper... to my shock I was snubbed my many ``Irked`` vacationers as I was trying to catch up to my family on TSM in HS... On the othet hand, some were very kind and helpful.:hippie:

So, IMO you can never tell how ppl will react to thispopcorn::

Eeyores Butterfly
04-06-2009, 03:13 AM
From a CM standpoint (I used to work Fantasyland attractions) this is wrong. You'd be surprised how many people pull stunts like this and it does affect the other guests. Even if you all take the same ride vehicle (and therefore to your mind it shouldn't make a difference in wait time) the more people who have to get onto a ride vehicle the longer it takes. Not to mention that certain attractions such as Philhar fill to a certain capacity. The problem comes that not just one person does this. You may have three or four families do this in a five minute time frame and that really adds up. Then the wait time you posted is no longer accurate and guess who gets chewed out?

We try to stop the line cutting when we see it, but we really can't enforce it, we have to give the guests the benefit of the doubt. The best I can normally do is say, "Please stay with your party."

For those who are concerned about leaving the line due to medical reasons/potty breaks: Simply alert the CM. Really, I have no problem if you have to take junior for a potty break. In fact, I would much rather he pee in a potty than on my ride. Same thing for any medical situation. If you can leave one member of your party in the queue while you do that, more power to you. We will help you get back up to them without a confrontation. If you can't leave somebody there, we will help you to not have to wait all over again. Believe me, we do this every day. It's a simple matter of alerting the CM at the beginning of the ride.