PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't there a stroller swap??

rluey29
01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I am going in June and had planned on taking my sit-n-stand for my DS1 and DS7 but I doubt it will fit in the car with all the luggage and other items, and I hate to spend $80+ renting one for a week. Why is there not a double stroller swap or something? Seems like it would be just as easy as the fridge ones. I would certainly be willing to chip in on one to buy.

Would anyone else be interested?

Malificient Tater
01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
seems like they are doing away with the fridge swaps since Disney was having to store them along with everything else AND people were taking advantage of the storage

Benducci
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
There used to be a stroller swap but it ended up being stolen or lost so they stopped it.

aka-mad4themouse
01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
There was a stroller swap a few years ago. The stroller was donated by the first DISer and then physically passed from one swapper to the next. In the event that there was ever a gap between users, the organizers had to find a DISer in the WDW area who was willing to "babysit" the stroller until the next swapper started their vacation. The stroller never got left with WDW's baggage storage for days at a time. Cleaning supplies and a scrapbook to record their vacation thoughts were also donated by subsequent swappers.

As time went on, the swap faded away. I can't remember whether it was due to wear & tear on the stroller or the inability to secure a "stroller sitter" during the frequent gaps.

safetymom
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I was one of the baby sitters. The last renter left it outside a restaurant in MK for the next renter. They didn't meet and the stroller was lost along with the scrapbook.

The stroller many times was not cleaned by the user. It was a lot of work to keep the swap going.

Swappers weren't always good about passing the stroller to the next person, they just left it at their resort and we spent time trying to find it.

rluey29
01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Well that is really too bad. It seems like it could be something that could help alot of people. I can't believe people would be as disrespectful as to enter into a thing like that and then not follow through with passing it on. Maybe it could be started back up. Who knows!

TheLittleRoo
01-18-2008, 12:52 PM
FWIW, for the past two years, we bought a nice used stroller (<$30 at a consignment shop) to use at WDW and end up leaving them behind at the hotel. We figured the mousekeeper might be happy to get a stroller.

This would be a better plan to pass it forward to the next DIS family.

mom2of2
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I ran the Original Stroller Swap and the SS3-see my tag!. It was a LOT of work!! As mad4themouse stated, our stroller was never left in baggage. It was personally delivered to the next swapper. That was the #1 rule. If you couldn't take the time to meet a fellow DISer and pass on the stroller then the SS wasn't for you. It wasn't JUST a free stroller.

Once the mentality of the SS changed (to JUST a FREE stroller) and it started getting left, we (Safetymom and myself) made the decision to let it die. We could have gotten another stroller and continued but our hearts weren't into it anymore.

If anyone wants to start a stroller swap I'd be happy to give them some pointers on what works and what doesn't.

hipchickie
01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
FWIW, we got free stroller rental with our disney visa card - it may be worth looking into, the perks at the park added up for us

aka-mad4themouse
01-18-2008, 08:20 PM
The Disney VISA free stroller rental is only available at Disneyland. They don't offer it at WDW. There are other perks available only at WDW (like the photo op w/free 5x7 in EPCOT).

hipchickie
01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
oh jeez, thats right, it was at DL - sorry!

disneymom71
01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Two years ago I was part of this wonderful idea it is so sad that some people let it died....Thanks both of your for your effort and idea....I just posted a message regarding this.