PDA

View Full Version : Those who rent a car w/a 2nd driver!

lisaross
01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
OK i'm renting a car through Alamo - i get the 2nd driver for free through Costco i put all the drivers license info in already on the computer! My question is this

My husband was going to pick-up the car w/out me - do i need to be there to sign even if we do everything through the Kiosk? and if i don't sign can't i still drive the car? i do have car insurance?

thanx

Rootskate
01-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I dont know the answer to this but I bet someone on the Transportation board probably would. Have you asked over there? They know all about this stuff. :)

Straitlover
01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
The one time my sis and I rented a car thru Alamo in Vegas, we both had to be at the counter and show our IDs.

eowensby
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I know when we rented with Avis in July if the additional driver was a spouse it was complimentary and they didn't even have to see my license. I know we rented from alamo in november, but I can't remember what their rules were for the second driver.

pbharris4
01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I'll answer this for you. Yes. They need to see both of your drivers licenses. I've rented with Alamo through Costco in Orlando and Tamapa for the past 2 years. I did all the pre registration stuff too, but you both need to be there. Pain, if you ask me. I wanted to stay with the kids (or vice versa) while the other got the car, but since you can't you have to drag all the luggage and kids with you.

lisaross
01-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanx - though it makes no sense because if you do the Kiosk for just the primary driver you do not even have to stop at the counter so you don't need to sign but the add'l driver does............a pain

lisa

I'll answer this for you. Yes. They need to see both of your drivers licenses. I've rented with Alamo through Costco in Orlando and Tamapa for the past 2 years. I did all the pre registration stuff too, but you both need to be there. Pain, if you ask me. I wanted to stay with the kids (or vice versa) while the other got the car, but since you can't you have to drag all the luggage and kids with you.

crissichef
01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I would call the specific location and ask. We rented from Avis in FL last year and if it is a spouse, it doesn't count as a 2nd driver. My husband picked up the car by himself and I did NOT have to be there. He told them that I may be driving it and they said it was fine as long as it was a spouse.

Crissi