PDA

View Full Version : Gaylord palms Hotel

Enright78
03-04-2002, 04:27 AM
Anyone with info or opinions on this new hotel? We saw it on our most recent trip and it looks enormous!! I believe it was originally meant to be the Opryland but changed its name and opened on 2.2.02!
I was thinking of a couple of nights on the end of our planned stay at Easter 2003:)

thefatman
03-04-2002, 04:47 AM
Its a huge great hotel, I get the feeling its aimed at the convention business, so choosing when to go to avoid a large convention and the number of people that entails could be interesting.

Scotfan
03-04-2002, 05:03 AM
It is huge isnt it, it was also very busy when we went past on sat 23rd. That was the day it poured so I guess people could have been there for a nosey or nobody had gone to the parks, I know the lobby at AKL was mobbed because noone wanted to brave the weather.

UKDEB
03-04-2002, 05:25 AM
I came across this website on my travels a month or so ago:

http://www.gaylordpalms.com/

We saw it being built back in August last year. They've certainly taken theming to the next level - it looks amazing. I'm just hoping Simon is planning on checking it out during his next visit. Failing that, I might have to do it myself...........:rolleyes:

CarolynU
03-05-2002, 11:44 AM
We checked it out a few weeks ago, and it is HUGE! It reminded me of those themed hotels in Las Vegas. It had the same sort of feel about it. There were plenty of children staying there, so it wasn't too convention orientated, although I guess that this could vary. We wandered all around the 'rainforest type area' and had a peep at the rooms. The only problem was that if they had balconies some of them faced inward I seem to remember looking over the indoor lake which may make the room feel a bit claustrophobic, but on the other hand it may just seem like fun. I guess it depends on individual taste. Not much help am I really. Carolyn

SimonV
03-05-2002, 11:52 AM
The big indoor area is supposed to be in three themed and highly elaborate sections - St Augustine, Key West and the Everglades, and there is a big outdoor kiddie pool, too. The original plans called for a really wide-ranging and thoroughly delicious-sounding set of restaurants, and the rooms varied from swish to ultra-deluxe. It was, indeed, supposed to be the Opryland Hotel up until about last October, when they decided the Opryland tag was a bit too narrow for cosmopolitan Florida. And, yes, it is on my 'To do' list the next time I am, over there!

Sue F UK
03-07-2002, 05:40 AM
Its interesting reading all your comments about this hotel. When we passed it on the I4 last week I thought it was a new shopping Mall as it's that big !!