PDA

View Full Version : POR or Swan for family of 5?

IncredibleboysMom
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Unbeknownst to DH, I am scheming for us to go to the World on our way to South Florida for Thanksgiving. :banana: We would be there the first part of T'giving week. In crunching the numbers, I think the Swan (with a discount) and POR would cost us about the same. We've never stayed at either, and would have a car, so transportation isn't a big issue. Our kids will be 3, 5 and 8 at that time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

parrotheadlois
01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Unbeknownst to DH, I am scheming for us to go to the World on our way to South Florida for Thanksgiving. :banana: We would be there the first part of T'giving week. In crunching the numbers, I think the Swan (with a discount) and POR would cost us about the same. We've never stayed at either, and would have a car, so transportation isn't a big issue. Our kids will be 3, 5 and 8 at that time.

If the cost is the same, the Swan is much nicer (and just fyi - I love Port Orleans). The Swan is newly renovated and has heavenly beds!!

allaboard
01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I think you'd really enjoy POR, but I am a big fan of it. Our first family experience was at POR and our kids wanted to LIVE there and not go home!! It is a relaxing and beautiful place and the pool is really fun! I know that all resorts get full often, but I have never felt the crowds at POR since it's spread out. I usually enjoy having to walk just a bit because it is so beautifully landscaped there. The last time we stayed there the kids went fishing and we rode a Surry Bike around the resort. The bus service goes to both I believe. Maybe Swan lovers will share with you why they like it! But I vote for POR for you!:cheer2:

3for Me
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think the Swan only sleeps 4 - it is the Dolphin that sleeps 5. We've never stayed at the Swan (family of 5 as well) but we LOVE the Dolphin. The pool area is lovely and it's very convenient to get to YC/BC and the Boardwalk. The walk is beautiful and fun as well.

Obviously transportation to Epcot and DHS is not much of an issue. Busses that we took to DAK and MK were timely. Never had a problem.

Can't compare to POR having never stayed there, but we really love the Swan/Dolphin area.

ffugitive
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Stayed at both and I recommend POR. First, with the trundle bed, it is designed to sleep 5. Swan is designed for 4 (and may even have an issue with 5, I don't know). In fact, the Swan rooms are actually smaller than your average hotel room, so 5 would be particularly tight. I also was not a huge fan of the Swan for other reasons, but this was pre-renovation. Love POR though.

SuzieN
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
If you want to do the dining plan you'll have to stay at POR - the Swan doesn't participate. I've never stayed at the Swan but I have stayed at the Dolphin, and while it was nice it wasn't nearly as nice as POR, in my opinion! The location of the Swan/Dolphin is great but I think the theming at POR just blows it away!

ashef
01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I haven't stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, so can't compare them with POR. However, if you stay at POR, you will be able to use the pool at the sister resort, POFQ, which is the perfect pool for little kids the age of yours. The waterslide is a magic dragon's tongue and it just enchanted my kids when they were the age of yours.

luvmarypoppins
01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
The Swan will only let you book 4 to a room. The Dolphin will let you book 5, but those rooms contain 2 double beds, hence you would have to get a rollaway, which has a normal charge of $25 extra per night, but I have read other posters say if its for a child they will not charge you or you could bring your own aero bed. I have not stayed at POR. The Dolphin lobby is decorated beautifully for the holidays, huge tree etc. I dont know the exact date it goes up but we were there dec. lst and saw a family get to turn on the lights one night. It was cute. The pool also seems to be a little chilly when we use it.

madge
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM

The Dolphin :) The resort is fantastic, and the proximity to the Boardwalk & Epcot makes it a favorite for us!

The occupancy limit in a standard room at the Swan is 4, it's 5 at the Dolphin.

TLSnell1981
01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I vote for the Dolphin. You get all the fun and convenience of the Boardwalk resorts. (I am not talking Disney benefits, but locale) We stay at the Swan/Dolphin for last minute trips to WDW.. if the BWVs are not available.

rie'smom
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Dolphin-its deluxe and POR is a mod. For about the same price, you get much nicer accommodations. Besides, it's about 2 minutes to the Boardwalk and 10
minute walk to Epcot and 15 minute walk to MGM. The restaurants at the Dolphin are wonderful and the pool and beaach area are fantastic.

AndyMcV
01-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Stay at the Dolphin, hands down, no questions!

It's a deluxe resort with a tonne of amenities over a Disney moderate. The location is awesome. You are right beside Epcot and the Boardwalk. You can actually walk to both.

The transportation is better, location is better, views are better (close up fireworks every night from your room or anywhere around the resort), restaurants are better, the pool is much better, the rooms are better, the Heavenly beds are WAY better, etc, etc, etc....

Stick with the Dolphin and you'll have an awesome time.

A.