PDA

View Full Version : Are you planning your trip during free dining???

llori7
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I was reading on here about rumors you may need to stay in a Moderate hotel this year for free dining. I punched the numbers, and we really wouldn't be saving that much money (we stayed in pop last year). So if that is true, we will not be going. I will probably just continue to save and go next year, and hope they change the ddp. If you usually stay in a Value resort will you stay in a Moderate to get the free dining or will you just forget the trip, for now anyhow????

Allensfan
01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
:thumbsup2 Keep in mind too that there are lots of discounts out there...like I have AAA and I got hundreds off my hotel costs booking with them..then in order to get the free dining, I had to "give back" the money I saved with the hotel discounts to get the free dining. Because you have to pay full price for the hotel to get free dining. So really I did not save much at all. All these things are good to consider before planning a holiday around free dining.

pha1226
01-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I booked a MYW package with the dining plan at Pop. The AAA discount would have only saved me $130 and if free dining is offered (and given to Value resorts too), I'll save $600.

Shmily1
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I've been two times in the last three weeks, once value and once mod, so I don't plan around the free dining but it would be an "extra incentive" to go again!;) DH says, Like I need one!!!

I figure, no matter where I am, I'm going to be eating!

LuvsTinker
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, I booked for Sept. and was hoping for free dining, but now that I got 40% off of the room, I don't see giving that up to go with the dining.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
01-16-2008, 04:09 PM
We'll be going during free dining but aren't sure if I'm going to change my room only ressies yet.

I'm still hoping to get a 40% discount code which trumps free dining.

If I don't get a 40% discount code, I may change to free dining as long as I can stay at the Contemporary. :) I've just started working the numbers so I've got plenty of time to decide.

Allensfan
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
how do you get a 40% off code? The best discount I have ever found is AAA.

lwartberg
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Have they already announced Free Dining?? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

KatMark
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
No, they have not announced. Those who were there when it was offered in 2007 were offered the "bounceback" where they could book while still at the resort for 2008. I believe they have offered it to residents of the UK as well.

OatsZoo
01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
We are planning on going in September and from what I hear it is usually free dining. But I am waiting for the 40% code to do the number crunching. Not sure, I am tossing between Value and Moderate. I guess if we can get the Moderate with the dining for the same price as the Value with no dining, then no questions asked. We stayed at the All Stars Movies and loved it but we had the kids with us (then 4&6) but this time looking at the Port Orleans French Quarter as we are going without the kids for our 10 yr anniversary.

Still waiting to decide, but I am stressing right out over the choice? Any help would be great!:scared:

ShellyLynn3630
01-17-2008, 05:29 AM
We'll be going during free dining but aren't sure if I'm going to change my room only ressies yet.

I'm still hoping to get a 40% discount code which trumps free dining.

If I don't get a 40% discount code, I may change to free dining as long as I can stay at the Contemporary. :) I've just started working the numbers so I've got plenty of time to decide.

The 40% off code trumps free dining??:scared1: Are you serious?? I called Disney with my code and it only saved me $200, free dining can save me $1000.00.:dance3: :dance3:

PaulaSB12
01-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes I booked to go to CSR on the first day of free dining in August, its has to be then because my sister can't take the time of work (she is a teacher) nor can she take her children off school, so it will help with the food costs considering the airfare is going to be about 744 (approx $1460) per person.

darlak
01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I haven't heard this rumor. I booked bounceback free dining at Pop when we were there this past September, but I have a friend who's waiting on free dining to be offered this year. She was hoping to go during the time we're there. How reliable do you believe this rumor to be?

CanadianGuy
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
how do you get a 40% off code? The best discount I have ever found is AAA.

Generally these discounts are mailed/emailed to previous guests to entice them to return. Have a look at this thread ..

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1686236

I was reading on here about rumors you may need to stay in a Moderate hotel this year for free dining. I punched the numbers, and we really wouldn't be saving that much money (we stayed in pop last year). So if that is true, we will not be going. I will probably just continue to save and go next year, and hope they change the ddp. If you usually stay in a Value resort will you stay in a Moderate to get the free dining or will you just forget the trip, for now anyhow????
Have they already announced Free Dining?? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

No. They have not not announced free dining and probably won't till the first week of April.

These rumors are based on the UK Bounceback free dining promotion. Free dining for USA guests frequently has different dates and different terms and conditions than the UK program.

Using the UK program as a guideline to the program directed at US/Canadian guests is ill advised. While this rumor could prove true, we simply won't know til the program is announced in April.

Knox

angelmav
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Well to the question at hand, we are waiting for free dining or it we wont be going this year, but we are a large family so that discount trumps any room discount for us. Otherwise it will be the Grand Canyon and Old West Ghost towns! Come on free dining!

Mick00
01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
We are planning on going the first three weeks of September think this is during free dining?? Would it be safe for us to hold off on booking until maybe april when I heard free dining is usually released or would it be a bit risky? May the hotel (POP) be booked out by then?

cmom
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Im sorry If I seem stupid but what is this FREE DINING And 40% of code. I need to get in on this now that we hope to go to Disney once a year.

KatMark
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Free Dining is a promo that Disney has offered the last couple of years for a certain period during the end of August through September. There is limited availability at each resort. There is talk this year that it will be limited to moderate and deluxe resorts. It has not been announced as of yet. It is usually announced in April. Those that already have the "free dining" were offered it as a "bounceback." If you were using free dining in 2007, you had the option while at your resort to book it again for 2008...hence "bounceback."

MinnieMom
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
The 40% off code trumps free dining??:scared1: Are you serious?? I called Disney with my code and it only saved me $200, free dining can save me $1000.00.:dance3: :dance3:

How can a discount of only $200 be 40% off? That would mean the original price was only $500 for a room?!?!

LuvsTinker
01-17-2008, 07:29 PM
:teacher: Crunching the numbers - AHH!

Larger savings will depend on resort - value per night will not be as large of savings compared to mod or deluxe. (ex. value savings for 5 nights in Sept. $164.00 plus tax, but a deluxe for 5 nights could be in excess of $500.00)

and will depend on number of people on dining plan - a couple with a 2 yo or 1 child under 10 will not save as much as a couple with 2 kids over 10 yo.

So, be sure to crunch those numbers :)

ShellyLynn3630
01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
How can a discount of only $200 be 40% off? That would mean the original price was only $500 for a room?!?!

It was on a package. Orginal price-2800, with code-2600, free dining 1800.
The free dining is saving us like a grand, the code only $200.

OatsZoo
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Just got off the phone with a CM. We were looking to see if the 40% off code was on our name - no luck.

While talking to her, she mentioned that WD will not be offering a free dining plan this year.

The CM may have just been saying that to get us to book at full price, but it is something to think about.:confused3

ShellyLynn3630
01-18-2008, 05:33 AM
We really won't know anything for sure until April, if not its off to Windsor Hills for us!!!!!!!!!

PaulaSB12
01-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Just got off the phone with a CM. We were looking to see if the 40% off code was on our name - no luck.

While talking to her, she mentioned that WD will not be offering a free dining plan this year.

The CM may have just been saying that to get us to book at full price, but it is something to think about.:confused3

I would hazard a guess they will be because they did it last year when the UK got it. As I said I have 2 weeks at CSR water view room with 2 rooms for 2 adults and 3 children for 3170.

mjroyer
01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I got a flyer in the mail for 30% off. So do some people get 30 and some get 40. The people that got 40% off where did it come from??
Thanks

DebbieB
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that the tip is no longer included in the dining plan (and no appetizer if you want it), so it will not be so "free".

maciemouse
01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I am so jealous. My son starts Kindergarten this year and my hubby says we cannot start the school year off with pulling him out for Disney! We loved free dining. We have done it the past two years. But if they do not offer it, take a discounted room. September is a great time to visit. We love going the first week of September. We are going in May this year instead! We are going to be paying a little more, but atleast we will be at Disney.

SassyLassy
01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Well to the question at hand, we are waiting for free dining or it we wont be going this year, but we are a large family so that discount trumps any room discount for us.

We are going with 9 so the free dining would be a much bigger savings. I am not sure that we wouldn't go at all but if we dont get the free DDP I will have to find some other magic way to save for all of us. :confused3

PrincessTiffany
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM

I believe that CM is wrong. It has already been offered to visitors from the UK and to those of us who were there this past Septebmer on the bounceback.

Someone on the Dining board has already posted (according to their relative who is a Disney employee) that the offer will come out about April 5. The first three days will only be open to Disney Visa holders and then open to the general public, just like the previous three years. And I'd bet good money that the poster was correct. Free Dining has been a brilliant plan on the part of Disney to fill the crowds during what was previously their slowest season, and hurrican season to boot. And then having the bounceback for free food while the free diners are there in the parks, on their Disney high, well I would call that pure marketing genius. We were there for Free Dining last year, and yes we did have fun, but we went for low crowds and there was definetly NOT low crowds during the week of Sept. 14 - 22. The Free Dining Secret is out!!! I hope Disney has rewarded the marketing genius who came up with Free Dining. I personally don't see Free Dining ending anytime in the near future.

wildeoscar
01-26-2008, 06:03 PM
ug... too many people are catching onto the free DDP promotion. At this point so many people are booking in hopes of adding free DDP that they will look and say, hm we don't need to offer an incentive to get folks to the parks in back to school season.

SassyLassy
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
ug... too many people are catching onto the free DDP promotion. At this point so many people are booking in hopes of adding free DDP that they will look and say, hm we don't need to offer an incentive to get folks to the parks in back to school season.

As I agree that ppl are catching on, I dont think it will go away. It was made to entice ppl to come down during the slow season. If they get rid of the DDP then they will have to market something else. I don't think ppl will just start coming automatically during the slow season b/c they used to give away the plan. Just HMO but I think it will stay, especially in this economy and less people traveling.

dclfun
01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
There was a rumor last year that free dining would not be offered to the GP but only to bounceback and UK guests. That rumor never came to pass. I would expect to see that promo again. As to whether it is a greater savings than the 40% off depends on your party size, ages of children, and resort chosen. Remember that the higher the original rate, the more the 40% knocks off the total. It seems like many more people this year are getting the 40% code but it includes dates not traditionally included in the free dining promo ( which is mainly Sept) so who knows how the booking #'s are for that time period- only marketting knows and they decide on what promos to offer and for how many rooms, and which resorts. We'll just all have to wait and see and everyone will have to crunch numbers to figure out what works best for their family and then look forward to seeing Mickey again!---Kathy

luna99
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
so what are the dates usually for free dining? We got it last year on September 1st, but this year we want to go back in the beginning of October and would love to be able to take advantage of the free dining! It worked out really well for us last year .. we loved it!

thanks! :goodvibes

vellamint
01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I think a lot of this is going to depend on how booked the resorts are before April comes......

I think this is why we are seeing (not me sadly) so many codes being mailed and emailed.

If room occupancy is already high they will not need to offer free dining.

I am hoping for it but am not counting on it.