PDA

View Full Version : Another ? for SOG guests. TIA!

LilGMom
01-14-2008, 08:14 PM
There is a very good possibility that DH & I will be taking a May trip and we've never stayed at SOG. We are eligible and it looks beautiful and serene. My concern comes from a few reviews I've read about the noise level in the rooms. One review that I read said that the guests could hear the conversations of the people above them and hear when their neighbor sneeze. This was the main complaint that we had about our North Garden View stay at CR.

Please toss all reviews, good and bad, my way.

Thanks!!

Joan S.
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi, We stayed at SOG for a weekend last February and I really do not remember hearing any noise. We requested and were put in the NEWER section. Joan

sammi6
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
We stayed there shortly after the remodeling was done and we thought it was actually quieter there and the scenery with the lakes were nice. The rooms were definitely larger than other Disney rooms and the food at the restaruant was more reasonably priced. It has a walking path to the Polynesian which took us about 10-15 minutes. It is right next to a golf course entrance. The only thing we didn't like was the busing was not as convenient as WDW buses since it is its own busing.

jphilhower
01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
We stayed in the old section and didn't hear anything from the other rooms.
We are going back in May and staying at SOG again. We love it.

MAGGIED
01-14-2008, 09:30 PM
we have stayed at SOG many times and it is very quiet... never had any problems with room noise

Maine-iac
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I have never had any issues with noise at SOG. It is a very quiet resort.

Sleepy
01-15-2008, 03:57 AM
From my experiences in the old section, the only way you will hear noises from other rooms is if the people are very loud and using shouting voices.

If you were on the main hall (right after windowed corridor), it was easy to hear the hall noise inside your room because the kids were excited and everyone was talking later in the evening. We always brought a plugin cooler. The fan from it helped drown the hallway noise if we were on the main hall. Now that the main hall in the old section is really far from the lobby, it is probably not an issue anymore. Our last room July 06 was old section to the right after the corridor. We had the corner room so we had 2 walls exposed to the hall. It was completely silent our entire stay.

tinkandpan
01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
we have stayed 3 or 4 times and noise has never been an issue. IN fact the only noise I recall hearing is people in the hallway at night and I hear that at any Disney Resort

wiggles02
01-15-2008, 09:09 AM
For us, noise has never been an issue at SOG. Never in the room or in the hallway. People are more respectful there, imho. Must be the military influence.

Barbday62
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I have stayed there three times in the new section each time and never once did I hear noise. Its a great place to stay and beautiful too.

suevee
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
We have never had an issue with noise but we take a fan. I think if you have an adjoining room even if both doors are closed and locked you can hear some noise. But that is the same for any resort. As a whole SoG is a quieter resort than most.

ducklite
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I've stayed in the old section twice (pre-rehab) and never heard noise except my nephew crying in the next room after he fell out of bed one morning. :sad1:

micmacmissy
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
We were just there and it was absolutely silent...quietest hotel I've ever been in. I would request the newer section, 5th floor. We were at the end of the hallway so we heard nothing all week. It was great.

If you want more information, I posted a review here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1685784

Enjoy your trip!

hildarumpole
01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
SOG is the quietest hotel we've ever stayed in. It's almost surreal. We expected to hear noise at night when families were returning from EMH, but it never happened. No kids yelling and running down hallways, no door slamming, just peace. Poolside rooms may be subject to more noise. We stayed in the new section and had a lovely view of the golf course.

BabyFu18
01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I've stayed in both the old section and the new section and have never had a problem with noise (even when we had connecting rooms with some other family members, when the connecting door was closed I didn't hear anything going on in the other room).

LilGMom
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Got another question...

Just saw that we have to pay $5/day at SOG to use the parking garage. Do guests of SOG have to pay to park at the theme parks too? While I would like to stay at SOG the cost for SOG is almost neck-to-neck with our FL res. rate that we'd get at a moderate and the parking thing could push a mod. ahead in the monetary race.

TIA! You all have been great so far.

suevee
01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
SoG guests have free parking at all the theme parks just like other WDW resort guests.

sukhakuli
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I'll reiterate what the other posters said, it is very quiet there. We've always stayed at the old section, which I prefer since it's closer to everything.

You do have to pay to park at SoG now (you didn't used to). When we have taken a car, we just park it in the garage and forget about it, basically. The Disney transportation is easy to use.

When comapring rates, don't forget to add in hotel tax. I always forget that when comparing rates, and dh always reminds me, lol. Also, the rooms there are very large and have a private balcony, plus the food is tax free, as well as the Disney park tickets. For some reason I am always looking for a different place to stay, and we always go back to SoG. You can't beat the value, amenities, or location, IMO.

plutospup
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
We had a ground floor pool view room (rectangular pool, not the Mickey shaped pool). We did not hear any hallway noise, however, one evening we did hear some people screaming outside in the pool. We occassionally took an afternoon nap, but never heard anyone at the pool.

LilGMom
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I'll reiterate what the other posters said, it is very quiet there. We've always stayed at the old section, which I prefer since it's closer to everything.

You do have to pay to park at SoG now (you didn't used to). When we have taken a car, we just park it in the garage and forget about it, basically. The Disney transportation is easy to use.

When comapring rates, don't forget to add in hotel tax. I always forget that when comparing rates, and dh always reminds me, lol. Also, the rooms there are very large and have a private balcony, plus the food is tax free, as well as the Disney park tickets. For some reason I am always looking for a different place to stay, and we always go back to SoG. You can't beat the value, amenities, or location, IMO.

Parking - Would we have to pay each day or just one flat fee for length of stay? We have never used the Disney transportation (did once and that was enough, lol) so I'm now wondering if we have to pay to park at SOG daily. Based on what others have posted we wouldn't have to pay to park at the theme parks so that is good.

Hotel rates - When I was comparing what we'd pay at SOG vs. staying at a Mod. I figured in our FL. resident plus 12.5% tax (got that percentage from another website) and by staying at SOG we'd be saving around $125 for the week. So we look at it as saving enough for a days worth of eating and treats. But if we need to figure in paying for parking at the resort and parks it'll reduce the savings and DH might want to scrap the idea of staying at SOG for a mod.

suevee
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Parking at SoG is $5 a day.

LilGMom
01-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok.... My DH just got off the phone with SOG and on top of the $5/day automatic fee to park at the resort the person at SOG speaking with my DH told him that SOG also have to pay to park at the theme parks.

So we'd be looking at paying $16/day to park (at SOG and the theme parks) which completely negates any savings that staying at SOG was going to give us over staying at a mod. Darn it!! Yes we could use the Disney transportation but with two small kids we've found that having our own vehicle is the easiest for us.

Thanks everyone for your info. :disrocks:

Sleepy
01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Ok.... My DH just got off the phone with SOG and on top of the $5/day automatic fee to park at the resort the person at SOG speaking with my DH told him that SOG also have to pay to park at the theme parks.

I am surprised. You never had to pay in the past. Not saying what they said is false, but even with WDW info, depending on who you talk to the info can be conflicting. Maybe you can try calling back and asking for the manager just for verification (unless your hubby did speak to the manager). ;)

As others have said, the transportation really is simple and convenient. Of all the times we have been, we only left property one time with our vehicle.

brergnat
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
You do not have to pay to park at the theme parks if you stay at SOG. The woman your DH spoke to was wrong (that happens often over there...)

From www.shadesofgreen.org

FAQ's:

Q:
If I am staying at Shades of Green and decide to drive my car to one of the other WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort parks, will I be charged an additional parking fee at each theme park?

A:
No, you will not be charged an additional parking fee as long as you identify yourself as a Shades of Green guest and present a current Shades of Green registered guest I.D. and display the Shades of Green car hangtag that you will be given when you register as a Shades of Green guest.

abolanwoski
01-16-2008, 12:18 PM

So we'd be looking at paying $16/day to park (at SOG and the theme parks) which completely negates any savings that staying at SOG was going to give us over staying at a mod. Darn it!! Yes we could use the Disney transportation but with two small kids we've found that having our own vehicle is the easiest for us.

Thanks everyone for your info. :disrocks:

This is definitely incorrect, guests at SOG do not pay to park at the parks. So, the parking expense is $5 per day.

suevee
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Ditto the above poster. You do not have to pay parking at ANY theme park. We are frequent visitors to SoG and have NEVER paid theme parking. We prefer to drive to water parks, AK, and Disney Studios.

LilGMom
01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Egad! Do the people at SOG know what is going on at their own resort?!?!? I just called and spoke with the front desk (managment was "out") and was told that SOG get free parking at the MK because "they are a MK resort" but the lady wouldn't tell me 100% if that free parking holds true for the other parks. She said there have been times when they've had guests tell them that when they went to enter DAK, Epcot or Studios that they had to pay for parking. She said it was a "hit or miss" as to if the parking lot attendants would require you to pay.

I guess I find this a little funny too since I work on a base and there are times when it seems like the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing and sometimes doesn't even realize there is a right hand. :lmao:

ntsammy5
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
She said it was a "hit or miss" as to if the parking lot attendants would require you to pay.

As long as you have your parking tag on the rear view mirror they won't charge. WDW resorts however have a piece of paper that goes on the dashboard so attendants are used to looking for that. Just point to your SOG tag and there's no charge for parking at the parks.

Also, if you want to pay an additional $5 a day you can get valet parking at SOG. On this last trip because we were in and out so much and were in the old section away from the garage -- it was well worth it.

OP -- we've stayed at SOG several times and it is very, very quiet. Much more so that at other WDW resorts we've stayed at.