PDA

View Full Version : How would I do this?

squitty
03-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Hi

If I were to fly into say New York :) How would I go about getting down to say Florida by car?
Is this more expensive to do?

Thanks

LynetteB
03-03-2002, 12:26 PM
The easiest and cheapest way is to fly. We are doing a similar thing this summer. We are flying from Boston to Orlando. The flight time is @ 3.5 hours. We have booked one-way flights (we are flying home from Orlando) with travelocity (www.travelocity.co.uk). Our flights cost 58 each including tax, flying with Delta. This is definitely the way to go. The drive would be very long.

BevS97
03-03-2002, 12:55 PM
it's too far to drive comfortably - I think it's in the region of 20 hours.

Some of the airlines do free stopovers, so I was considering flying to NY, doing a free stopover, then flying to Orlando, and flying home directly from Orlando. I think it's United and Delta that can do this (off the top of my head)

Bev

squitty
03-04-2002, 02:50 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking of taking a few days to drive down to Orlando and seeing the sites. Has anybody got a link to a map that will show that route??? Also have you any suggestions on what to see and to do ??? I have a few places in my head that I would like to see

BONZO
03-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Just a thought.

Can you take a hire car "out of state"?

On one of our early trips we were limited to Florida only - though I'm sure that things ahve changed a lot since then.

May be worth checking out.

vernon
03-04-2002, 03:17 AM
You can check out http://www.mapquest.com you can get directions from them. Pretty much its I95 down the coast to Northern Florida and pick up I4. Washington gets heavy traffic and there are a couple of other snarl ups but if you can drive it in 2 days if you just "overnight" in a motel on the way down. If you wanted to take in a few sights on the way down you'd probably need 4-5 days to do it comfortably. The roads in the US are MUCH easier to driv efor this type of journey, Jana and I drove from Pittsburgh last year, but we took a 3 day break at Hilton Head , South Carolina on the way down. Pittsburgh is an 18 hour journey, NY maybe an extra couple of hours.

I would spend a day in Washington, I love the beach resort at HH and would happily recommend that as a stop off. Charlestone (South Carolina ) and Savannah (Georgia) both have a lot of history attatched to them and would be a good stopping point as they leave about 6 hours to drive to Orlando.

MickeyMcMouse
03-04-2002, 03:30 AM
Just a thought on your one way flights

When we returned in Jan, we were talking to a guy who just dropped of his american girlfriend to travel back to somewhere in the US on her one way ticket. Security made her TOTALLY empty all her hand luggage AND suitcases to be checked. Caused her a huge delay !

Don't know if they are still doing it but you'd better have plenty of time, just in case.:(

David

thefatman
03-04-2002, 06:25 AM
I want to do this trip,
its always been on my list of things to do, that and drive from the MK to DLC ( via vegas).
I think the rental car companies will sting you for a one way journey, but what an experience...hmmm ( thinking bout next years trip planning:)).

BevS97
03-04-2002, 06:39 AM
my brother and his wife drove from NY to LA on their round the world trip - (or maybe they took the train...) anyway - I remember them talking about companys that have cars that need to be delivered, you get to hire the car for not a lot, and have to promise to deliver it to a destination by a certain date.

I think the Year Out guides for students would have information.

Bev

bengunn
03-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Taking a hire car out of state is not generally a problem (alhtough it might be for cars hired in Florida). When I hired one in Ohio, the only restriction was that you could not take it into Mexico (which is unlikely as it is a long way away from Ohio). I dorve to Canada and checked beforehand that this was Ok - they said yes and looked at me as if I was mad to ask.

I suspect that you would get charged for a one way trip although I have not had a problem with dropping a car off at Cleveland that I collected at Akron in the same state - no extra charge at all.

squitty
03-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Well I have had two car hire companys get back to me.
The first was Dollar, who said that there was no probs taking the car out of state and returning it in Orlando. Then they said that they would want $500 for doing this. Then Avis
they said the same as Dollar but wanted $750. So I will try a few more places and see what happens.