PDA

View Full Version : Do you get to really keep the towel animals?

jesusluvsu2005
01-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi! I know this may be a stupid question but I have never stayed at the hotels at disney and we will be doing so in may. I hear a lot of talk about towel animals. Do you get to actually keep those or what? Please forgive my ignorance and thanks!
God bless,
Mandy

Twende
01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes they are yours to keep!:cool1:

heartbeeps
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
what hotel offers towel animals do keep? POR? AKL? ASMusic?

La2kw
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I doubt if Disney wants you to take their towels home.

eeyoresnr
01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Mandy, :welcome: to DISboards
where will you be staying?

eeyoresnr
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
what hotel offers towel animals do keep? POR? AKL? ASMusic?

we have gotten tham at POR, ASMusic, CSR, and the Villas @WL

shefellnl0v3
01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm hoping to get one of these when we stay at GF next week. Think "mousekeeping" will leave them in the room?

angelmav
01-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I doubt if Disney wants you to take their towels home.

You do realize these arent actual towels anymore, normally pieces that have been glued etc.

ptrbryant
01-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Actually, they're usually washcloth animals! But, I actually asked if we were allowed to take them home with us and was told "certainly"! There's nothing dishonest about it.

Karla B.

DizzKneeGeek
01-05-2008, 02:44 AM
When we were last at Disney World we stayed at POR. Our mousekeeper even left us a note telling us they were to keep. After we thanked her she even made us a few more. We had celebrated many anniversaries and had never received even one but, on that trip we got three. They were a doll, a duck and a turkey. We thanked her Cheryl was by far the best Mouskeeper ever!
Have a great trip and enjoy your towel animal if you are lucky enough to receive one.
Princess Fontaine princess:

jesusluvsu2005
01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you all for the replies! We are going to be staying at the Pop Century sometime in May (haven't decided dates for sure yet). I have three little ones who would love to have some towel animals so I really hope they do one for each. Who knows though. Any tips to actually make sure that each kid gets one?
God bless,
Mandy

MsStinkerBelle
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes, they are definitely yours to keep. :thumbsup2 We've gotten towel animals at the Poly, Pop, POFQ and the AKL. The most memorable ones we've gotten was a towel 'doll' at the Poly and a towel peacock at POFQ.

LuvsTinker
01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I never knew that! I've never taken home any of the towel animals.

gogo
01-05-2008, 11:37 AM
My son and I were at the WL this August for 6 nights. Every day we received a new towel animal. Housekeeping kept adding them and arranging them around the room. They were so cute. I really did not want to take them home but my son wanted to so we did.

I'm sure it's okay to take them. If if wasn't, I'm sure Disney would let people know not to do this. When my mother stayed at WL several years ago, she said she did not know what they were so she undid the towel animal and used it LOL!:rotfl:

Luvin*Livvy
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I didn't keep them, b/c honestly what was I going to do with them? I can picture them sitting in my house collecting dust. I just took pictures of them every day, fo rour photo album. ;)

We got them at CBR every day..they got bigger each time. We were on a short trip so we had 3 differnt towel animals.

The ones we got were ALL towels. Not glued together or anything. They were wash clothes, and hand towels. We got a mouse, a bird and a hippo! :)

ConcKahuna
01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
You can get them at any Disney resort, but it depends on how busy your Mousekeeper is. Sometimes he or she may have time to make them, sometimes not. That's why sometimes you see some that are more elaborate as well, with pipe cleaners and eyes attached for decoration. The are absolutley yours to keep!

Some of the coolest I have seen ahve been at FW in the cabins. Friends of mine got an easter basket (with towel eggs) in the spring, and a wreath decorated with red and green pipe cleaners and a towel bow during December. Most of the ones I've seen at other resorts have been pretty basic, although still cool! :thumbsup2

Sleeping Becca
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Sometimes the animals are small, like a bunny and won't come unravled easily. Other times they are larger and involve multiple towels and are in pieces aranged together, like an elephant. You could take the bunny but you should leave the elephant.

I've never taken a towel animal home, just a picture was enough.

Pirate's Princess
01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Last time at CB I got a small clown, and 2 birds.

Yes they are sitting on my shelf collecting dust, but I like them!

To be honest, I asked for them. I always tipped daily ($2 for 2 people) and left a note saying how I'd love one, and could they please possibly make me one if they had time. They did and on our last day, we ran into them and I thanked them profusely.

goofy4tink
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind....not all housekeepers know how to make them. We stayed at POP, and everytime we returned to our room, we had to look at windows full of TA's. Not once did we get one. And there were never any seen in the area of our room. But, the next time I checked into POP, it was a different bldg and there was a TA waiting for me when I got to my room. I tip exactly the same, every trip. I'm not at all sure it makes a difference.

skipperkim
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
It's hit or miss. I wouldn't rely on getting one, but be surprised if you do. I think Mousekeeping tries to make everyone's stay memorable. But then, I try to be a great guest. I not only tip my maid, I give her or him some things to help them relax off the job. After all that hard work everyday, I'm sure they can use it.

Alicnwondrln
01-05-2008, 01:25 PM
no I dont

orangetiggs
01-05-2008, 01:27 PM
we got one when we last stayed at the all stars, i have it on my shelf now and its looking at me!!

We are going to plan our DFTW in a month and staying at POP so I'm hoping to get one there and I will bring it home

elise72
01-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Our mousekeeper at AKL told us they were ours to take home,they were giving away beautiful ones in the lobby of the Poly on Christmas day,we have got a lovely rabbit wearing a lei in our bathroom!

Dis Ohana
01-05-2008, 02:31 PM
We got them at AKL -- There were 2 small bunnies in our bathroom when we checked in. I ran into the housekeeper as she was doing turndown service later that evening and I told her how much my daughter loved them. She came back a few minutes later with 4 more that she arranged on the bed as as surprise for my daughter when she returned from the park.

We didn't get any at the GF. We had a very elaborate one in the BWI room. At the BWI the CM told us to please keep them. We didn't, I had enough stuff to pack! And honestly, after the initial surprise we put them up on the tv stand and didn't really look at it again.

jwwi
01-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Add this to what I've learned on the DIS! We rec'd quite a few on our last trip, what fun to come back to the room to find our new guests.

jennifer03878
01-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Last April we stayed at POP and every day we got more and more elaborate towel animals (I think it had something to do with the nice tips we left each day ;) ). We brought each one home. The final day we got this HUGE floral arrangement. We actually have them all "showcased" in our den.

SHAYMARAYSMOM
01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
When DH and I went in Oct we had so many towel animals. We did ask about them and the CM at the front desk told us they are a gift from the mousekeeping to us. We did take them home. I gave them to co-workers and family and friends.

Twende
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
We stayed at the Pop in September and in the lobby of the resort was a whole crew of Mousekeepers making towel animals! You could wait in lines for the specific type of critter you wanted. You could wait in as many lines as you wanted and watch them make it for you! It was fun. I got a Mickey and Minnie to take home.

In December at the BC they had the same set up with tables in the lobby manned by skilled towel animal makers!

They are yours to keep and enjoy. :lovestruc

They are mostly made from wash cloths with assorted felt patches, beads and stickers added to give them faces and character!

sb127
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
We had towel animals at POR and WL. We did not bring them home. Left them for other guests to enjoy.

cissy
01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
We got at least one and sometimes two every day.

We got a hippo, a peacock, two lovebirds on a perch, a squid, and something that I did not know but it had a tutu on. So cute! There were more but I can't remember what they were.

I let my girls each take two, gave two to the little girls next to us and we left the rest. I also had no idea what to do with them once we got home so I was not about to add 8 more "animals" into the house. I hope I did not insult our mousekeeper!!

We tipped $5.00 every day and I would have done that whether we got animals or not. But they sure were fun to come back to every night.

Oh, we stayed at the Poly. And now that I think about it, I am a pretty neat person. Our room did not need a whole lot of clean up each day. I am the kind who unpacks as soon as we get to the room and I don't leave a huge mess. Maybe our mousekeeper had the extra time to make the animals since she did not have to clean up after us. Something to keep in mind!:rotfl:

NEVERENOUGHWDW
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
If you want to steal towels......

stacey_LI
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
When we stayed at the YC in October, we had 2-3 animals sculptures waiting for us everyday. Mousekeeping told us to take them home. They even had a table set up in the lobby with two Mousekeepers teaching the kids (and adults) how to make them.
:cool1:

C.Ann
01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
-------------------------

You're kidding, right? :rotfl:

wendy151950
01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
We stayed at the WL 2x and got animals. We kept the little rabbit the first time we went after asking if it was ok to take. However, we had a really fun time the last time we went when my daughter's own stuffed animals were posed everynight with a note. One night one was "hiding", another time they were both reading the menu, etc. It was very cute - more fun than the towel animals.

NEVERENOUGHWDW
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
:rotfl:-------------------------

You're kidding, right? :rotfl:

:rotfl:ummmm, no.

JoyMouse
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
We go on the 19th and are hoping for at least one TA. I sure hope that is would be okay to keep them, but I guess I will ask before I pack it to come home. (If we are lucky enough to get one...)

blessedby3
01-06-2008, 07:30 AM

Its not stealing if you have ASKED and they have said YES. How is that stealing?

ConcKahuna
01-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Yup, it's not stealing. The towel animals are a little take-home memory from Housekeeping if you want them. As someone posted many times they glue eyes and other things onto the TA's, so they wouldn't be able to use them again.

jwwi
01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
ConcKahuna
Just had to post that the little video you have as part of your signature is so funny. I love things like that!:happytv:

C.Ann
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
:rotfl:

:rotfl:ummmm, no.
--------------------------

You can't "steal" something you have been given permission to take..:)

HeyIt'sMe
01-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Here's the towel animal we, uh, adopted from the Polynesian in 2006.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/MichaelsSDE/IMG_1072.jpg

dddisrunner
01-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for starting this thread! My sons were crying when we left last April because I told them they could not keep the towel animal:sad2: Now I know better!:thumbsup2

torinsmom
01-06-2008, 01:03 PM
We stayed in the non-preferred 70's in October and I knew when we found a towel animal at check-in that we were in for a treat. I left a $5 tip every day(don't know if that had anything to do with it) and also left a thank you note after the second one, saying how much we liked them and asking if we could have them. The Mousekeeper left a note back saying, "yes, they are a gift for you!:) " We had at least one every day and they are displayed in our living room. It's not stealing if someone says you can have them.:rotfl:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/torinsmom/100_2450.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/torinsmom/100_2445.jpg

Marsha

Disneyof3
01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
:cool1:

WOW these TA are great. The CM's must be very talented!! We finally got a TA last March when we stayed at POR and the kids loved it. It was a fish and we didn't know either that we could take it home. It was there when we arrived and when we left it was there for the next family to enjoy. The kids were excited to see it finally after 3 trips.

TBuss
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone,

We received our first towel animals on our last trip (October 2006). We stayed in one of the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I think we got about 3 different animals during the week stay. Our favorite was an alligator that was crawling out of our tub (it was quite large)! We had come home from the parks and my 6 year old son went in to use the bathroom. He screamed when he saw it and then started laughing hysterically. We took pictures of it and the others! We thought it was a wonderful surprise to come "home" to at the end of a long day.

NEVERENOUGHWDW
01-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Just spoke to Eunice at the CR and the answer was YES. I was 100% wrong I apologize.
I never asked I just assumed it was taking towels. I will now apologize to some kids that will not be very happy with me!

Teacher03
01-06-2008, 02:55 PM

We didn't either! We had three on our last trip at All Star Music. Oh well, next time!

ConcKahuna
01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Just spoke to Eunice at the CR and the answer was YES. I was 100% wrong I apologize.
I never asked I just assumed it was taking towels. I will now apologize to some kids that will not be very happy with me!

Now you'll have to stock up on your next trip to appease the kiddies!! :goodvibes

t_catt11
03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I never knew you could take them, either; I wish that I had known!

We've been to WDW twice, once to AKL, once to WL. We received towel animals on both trips, and both times, left them, figuring that it would be akin to stealing hotel towels.

Regardless, we really enjoyed them, and even more so, the creative things that mousekeeping did with the kids' regular stuffed animals while we were gone. We once came in the room to find the television on with the animals arracged on the bed, "watching" the programming. Once, my son's stuffed snakes were entwined around the bunkbed rails. We've found animals on the kids' pillows, sitting in chairs, arranged as if reading magazines... you name it!

PFLOYD
03-14-2008, 03:31 PM
We stayed at GF last September and we got 2 of them and we brought them both home with us!

Squirlz
03-14-2008, 03:33 PM

Take one of your own towels, roll it up, and tell them it's a Towel Snake!

nana2tots
03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Just saw about your Friends, When did this happen?:grouphug: